PDA

View Full Version : Fastest to Championship?

Bison06
January 3rd, 2012, 03:29 PM
This is not another "look at how great NDSU is" thread. Purely curiosity.

If NDSU is fortunate enough to pull off a victory over a great opponent this Saturday, will they be the fastest team to win the championship after entering the FCS(I-AA)?

darell1976
January 3rd, 2012, 03:32 PM
This is not another "look at how great NDSU is" thread. Purely curiosity.

If NDSU is fortunate enough to pull off a victory over a great opponent this Saturday, will they be the fastest team to win the championship after entering the FCS(I-AA)?

Until UND wins it next season in its first attempt.xsmiley_wix

blueballs
January 3rd, 2012, 03:33 PM
Georgia Southern did it in its second year of being in 1-AA in 1985.

Professor Chaos
January 3rd, 2012, 03:35 PM
And this was only 5 years removed from not even having a football program correct?

Bison06
January 3rd, 2012, 03:35 PM

And remind me of the situation with Georgia Southern again. They didn't have a football program for a number of years and then started one up in '83 or '84? What are the details surrounding that situation?

Eaglesrus
January 3rd, 2012, 03:48 PM
GA Southern hired Erk Russell in 1982 to restart a program that had been suspended in 1941. They played a few scrimmage games in 1982, a club schedule made up of the likes of the Fort Benning Doughboys and Jacksonville Police Dept. Magnum Force in 1983, joined 1-AA in 1984 and won the national championship in 1985 and 1986.

Bison06
January 3rd, 2012, 03:50 PM
GA Southern hired Erk Russell in 1982 to restart a program that had been suspended in 1941. They played a few scrimmage games in 1982, a club schedule made up of the likes of the Fort Benning Doughboys and Jacksonville Police Dept. Magnum Force in 1983, joined 1-AA in 1984 and won the national championship in 1985 and 1986.

Suspended? What was the reason for that?

Eaglesrus
January 3rd, 2012, 03:51 PM
Suspended? What was the reason for that?

WWII

Bison06
January 3rd, 2012, 03:54 PM

xsmhxxsmhxxsmhxxsmhxxsmhxxsmhx

darell1976
January 3rd, 2012, 03:56 PM
xsmhxxsmhxxsmhxxsmhxxsmhxxsmhx

Someone doesn't know humor?

NoDak 4 Ever
January 3rd, 2012, 03:58 PM
WWII

It only took them 35 years to get it back!

HailSzczur
January 3rd, 2012, 04:11 PM
Nova re-started football in 1986 and then won it in 2009.....by our standards thats fast

Bison06
January 3rd, 2012, 04:12 PM
Someone doesn't know humor?

Well, I suppose I should have said...

xlolxxlolxxlolxxlolx

darell1976
January 3rd, 2012, 04:12 PM
Well, I suppose I should have said...

xlolxxlolxxlolxxlolx

Thats better.xthumbsupx

LakesBison
January 3rd, 2012, 04:18 PM
^^^ what a clueless moron ^^^

yes, NDSU is the fastest. 2 years from being eligible.

Eaglesrus
January 3rd, 2012, 04:23 PM

GSU (GSC at the time) became eligible in 1984 and won it in 1985. How is that slower than 2 years?

darell1976
January 3rd, 2012, 04:25 PM

Playoff eligible in 2008...its 2011 thats not 2. This is NDSU's 4th season since being eligible.xlolx

Eaglesrus
January 3rd, 2012, 04:26 PM
It only took them 35 years to get it back!

xlolxxlolx

Don't know whether it was not seeing a need or not having the resources, probably a combination of both. It was a pretty small teachers college at the time.

LakesBison
January 3rd, 2012, 04:58 PM
actually its 3 for NDSU.

2009, 2010, 2011

bad , playoff run, title.

NoDak 4 Ever
January 3rd, 2012, 04:59 PM

http://supportyourlocalgunfighter.com/wp-content/uploads/monkeys_fling_poo1.jpg

BEAR
January 3rd, 2012, 05:15 PM
actually its 3 for NDSU.

2009, 2010, 2011

Already got the title? I'll call Fritzy and the kids and tell him to go back home. xlolx J/K

stevdock
January 3rd, 2012, 05:17 PM
actually its 3 for NDSU.

2009, 2010, 2011

We were eligible in 2008. Remember the loss to SDSU kept us from getting 7 wins as there was talk that if we got to 7 that year we would have made it.

darell1976
January 3rd, 2012, 05:18 PM
We were eligible in 2008. Remember the loss to SDSU kept us from getting 7 wins as there was talk that if we got to 7 that year we would have made it.

Shhh don't tell Lakes facts..he gets confused.

LakesBison
January 3rd, 2012, 05:23 PM
huh? no.

ursus arctos horribilis
January 3rd, 2012, 05:24 PM

I've personally argued with LB a few times about the fact that the last year NDSU wasn't eligible was 2007 from what I remember but he always goes back to fact massaging not realizing that although not the quickest this is still an impressive accomplishment. He does not care one little bit about credibility if it gets in the way of what he'd like you to believe.

I could go look in some old threads to see if it actually was 2008 that NDSU became eligible but I'm not motivated enough to do it so if it wasn't until 2009 then I'll apologize.

eaglewraith
January 3rd, 2012, 05:30 PM
I've personally argued with LB a few times about the fact that the last year NDSU wasn't eligible was 2007 from what I remember but he always goes back to fact massaging not realizing that although not the quickest this is still an impressive accomplishment. He does not care one little bit about credibility if it gets in the way of what he'd like you to believe.

I could go look in some old threads to see if it actually was 2008 that NDSU became eligible but I'm not motivated enough to do it so if it wasn't until 2009 then I'll apologize.

It's simple. Their first year was 2006...I know for sure because we played them that year. The second year of their transition was 2007. They were eligible in 2008. Plain and simple.

So still the winner, Georgia Southern sets the standard for quickest program to win a National Championship. Took 2 seasons in 1-AA. Took 3 seasons to get 2 titles ;) Within the first 6 years we had 4 titles and the first ever 15-0 season in college football history. I rest my case.

darell1976
January 3rd, 2012, 05:31 PM

NDSU did become elibigle in 2008. UND moved up to DI in 08 joining the GWFC while NDSU and SDSU moved to the MVFC and became playoff eligible.

TheBisonator
January 3rd, 2012, 05:35 PM
NDSU's first football season of being playoff eligible was fall 2008. We were designated a full DI institution on July 1, 2008.

Can we put this to rest now??

ursus arctos horribilis
January 3rd, 2012, 05:40 PM
Lakes knows less about Bison details in nearly every thread he's in than dudes from Montana, Illinois, California, Georgia, N. & S. carolina,...well, I ain't gonna list all the states but he is either just a straight up liar or just doesn't follow the Bison real closely.

2008 Lakes, mark it down, remember it, make it part of your life so we don't have to keep handing out lessons.

Bison06
January 3rd, 2012, 05:42 PM
NDSU's first football season of being playoff eligible was fall 2008. We were designated a full DI institution on July 1, 2008.

Can we put this to rest now??

Not just yet. :)

2008 was the first year we were eligible. The way I always remember this is the 2003 recruiting class is the only class to come through NDSU who never had a chance at a championship, unless they did not redshirt.

We were eligible for DII playoffs '02 and '03 and then ineligible '04,'05,'06,'07. We were then eligible for the playoffs again in 2008 the year after they were seniors.

Although many players made huge sacrifices coming to NDSU throughout the transition, this class is always looked at as the true "martyrs" because they came in knowing they would never play for a title.

Steve Walker, John Majeski, Joe Mays, Drago. Many others of course too but these are the well known players from that year.

frozennorth
January 3rd, 2012, 06:22 PM
the ndsu and gsu situtations are superficially pretty similar. New head coach is a defensive coordinator for a major program, shows up and starts winning. I wonder if the longer transition period helped or hurt NDSU, i'm guessing the later. 06 and 07 were championship caliber teams, had they been eligible.

TheBisonator
January 3rd, 2012, 06:27 PM
the ndsu and gsu situtations are superficially pretty similar. New head coach is a defensive coordinator for a major program, shows up and starts winning. I wonder if the longer transition period helped or hurt NDSU, i'm guessing the later. 06 and 07 were championship caliber teams, had they been eligible.

The NCAA has I think shortened their DI transition period from 4 years (5 incl. exploratory) to 3 (4 incl. exploratory) after the moratorium, but they traded off with requiring schools to be invited by a conference.

If NDSU had announced they were going to leave DI in the year 2000, they would have only had to deal with a 2 year transition. And I am not making this up. Look at IPFW and Binghamton for examples of schools that moved that time. NCAA put the legislative hammer (the "four years") down on the transition period the same year that we announced we were leaving DII. Gene Taylor told me once he wished they could have gotten the ball rolling a couple years earlier when Chapman first became president.

sgt smash
January 3rd, 2012, 06:29 PM

Good thing they won't run into USF (Sioux Falls) if they make it into the playoffs.

ursus arctos horribilis
January 3rd, 2012, 06:29 PM

The transition period from what I understand is to wash out those recruited under the less strict D2 requirements. I assume if there was anything like that in place in 1984 then GSU would have just recruited under those requirements from the giddyup.

The 2007 team was certainly one that would have gotten their noses bloodied, while bloodying noses in the playoffs. Very solid teams in 2006 & 2007.

F350KINGRANCH
January 3rd, 2012, 08:43 PM
hey lakes i received youre private message i will be in frisco, i cant wait for you to spit in my face, you may as well call the troopers now!!! because i am going to enjoy this thoughrly, yours truly, kingranch!

LakesBison
January 3rd, 2012, 08:53 PM
haha... suck it!! I love how pathetic people's lives are that put PRIVATE MESSAGES on the public forum.... liike you and PL turkey fat feathers..

I still think its 2009 was 1st year. oh well. i dont care, its title time!

TheBisonator
January 3rd, 2012, 08:59 PM
haha... suck it!! I love how pathetic people's lives are that put PRIVATE MESSAGES on the public forum.... liike you and PL turkey fat feathers..

You have not much of a memory, my friend. Too many alcohol-damaged brain cells.

It was summer 2008. I remember, cause I was at the official end of transition ceremony.

ursus arctos horribilis
January 3rd, 2012, 09:01 PM
I don't know what PL turkey fat feathers is but it's ****ing hilarious!xlolx

Please don't explain it either...I don't want the comedy in my head ruined.

On another note though.

DO NOT MAKE THREATS OF PHYSICAL ****.

We don't have a lot of lines here but that is a hard and fast rule that you don't cross...in pm's or otherwise.

NoDak 4 Ever
January 3rd, 2012, 09:09 PM
I don't know what PL turkey fat feathers is but it's ****ing hilarious!xlolx

Please don't explain it either...I don't want the comedy in my head ruined.

On another note though.

DO NOT MAKE THREATS OF PHYSICAL ****.

We don't have a lot of lines here but that is a hard and fast rule that you don't cross...in pm's or otherwise.

"...I showed Samuel a copy of his email and asked if he sent it. Samuel said yes and he recognized it. We asked Samuel what his intent was. Specifically if he was a threat to Representative Carlson. Samuel was very shocked at this question and replied no. I'm just a Bison fan and I don't agree with what he is doing. We reminded Samuel about the events in Arizona and that his wording in his email was very poor. It could easily be perceived as a threat. Samuel said that was not his intention and he was just trying to get his attention. The wrath comment was meant as not voting for Representative Carlson. We asked him if he owned any weapons or if he was a threat to Representative Carlson. Samuel said no. Samuel commented that the internet used to be a place where you could say stuff."

Mr. C
January 3rd, 2012, 09:51 PM
The transition period from what I understand is to wash out those recruited under the less strict D2 requirements. I assume if there was anything like that in place in 1984 then GSU would have just recruited under those requirements from the giddyup.

The 2007 team was certainly one that would have gotten their noses bloodied, while bloodying noses in the playoffs. Very solid teams in 2006 & 2007.

You are correct. It is all about compliance and weeding out those D-II guys. I remember North Dakota State being pretty upset they couldn't get a year whacked off their transition. I also remember them creating a stir when the Bison came back to beat Montana 25-24 at Washington-Grizzly. That sure caught all of our eyes.

clenz
January 3rd, 2012, 10:06 PM

I still think its 2009 was 1st year. oh well. i dont care, its title time!What year did you join the MVFC? That was your first year eligible.

I'll give you a clue it wasn't 2000, 01, 02, 03, 04, 05, 06, 07, 09, 10, 11

DJKyR0
January 3rd, 2012, 10:10 PM
We were eligible for the playoffs in 2008. That is rock-hard fact.

darell1976
January 3rd, 2012, 10:22 PM

http://www.bisonillustrated.com/s.php?s=651

Between the playoff run and so many starters returning on both sides of the football, there is a buzz around NDSU like it hasn’t seen since the beginning of the 2008 season. That year was the first season of playoff eligibility for the Bison when the team was coming off back-to-back 10-1 seasons and started the year ranked No. 2 in the country.
Case closed....dumbass.

LakesBison
January 3rd, 2012, 11:18 PM
wow, i already forgot about 08 and 09

89Hen
January 4th, 2012, 08:40 AM
FWIW, the Hens joined Division I in 1980 and played in the 1982 NC game.

darell1976
January 4th, 2012, 08:53 AM

Lay off the crack and you could remember things.

BisonHype!
January 4th, 2012, 02:40 PM
So, to break the ice in here... how about someone tell a good joke?

AshevilleApp2
January 4th, 2012, 02:53 PM
Florida A & M is the winner here. Champions in their first year of eligibility. xnodx

ursus arctos horribilis
January 4th, 2012, 02:55 PM

Hmm, I honestly didn't realize that Delaware had taken that quick of a leap to the top game.xthumbsupx

AmsterBison
January 4th, 2012, 02:59 PM
Florida A&M won it in 1978 - they were D2 in 1977.

Georgia Southern has the most impressive rise though (imo.)

BisonHype!
January 4th, 2012, 03:15 PM
Yea, for Georgia Southern getting back into it that quick is impressive. I think any program making that kind of a fast jump is impressive...

stevdock
January 4th, 2012, 03:52 PM

As much as you were supposedly buddy buddy with Nick Mertens I kinda doubt that. Don't you remember your quote of Walker 07, Mertens 08 & 09, and Mohler 10 and beyond??

eaglewraith
January 4th, 2012, 05:49 PM
Florida A & M is the winner here. Champions in their first year of eligibility. xnodx

Honest question here, wouldn't that be a technicality due to the division being formed that year?

eaglemachine
January 5th, 2012, 07:06 AM
Honest question here, wouldn't that be a technicality due to the division being formed that year?

I was wondering the same thing. Winning with an existing football team is a little different than starting a team from nothing and winning like GSU did.

superman7515
January 5th, 2012, 09:26 AM
Technically correct means it is still correct.

henfan
January 5th, 2012, 10:00 AM

And that was only one full season after being a full D-I member. 1980 was a transitional year in which the Hens were not eligible for the I-AA playoffs. 1981 was the first complete season in I-AA and UD was eliminated in the I-AA Quarterfinals by Roy Kidd's team that season.

henfan
January 5th, 2012, 10:01 AM
Winning with an existing football team is a little different than starting a team from nothing and winning like GSU did.

Don't think anybody could possibly disagree with that. Damn impressive what Erk did.

The Eagle's Cliff
January 5th, 2012, 01:00 PM
Keep an eye on Old Dominion, who made the playoffs their 1st year eligible after starting a new program. I'm very impressed with their program all the way around.

Kill'em
January 5th, 2012, 03:58 PM
Keep an eye on Old Dominion, who made the playoffs their 1st year eligible after starting a new program. I'm very impressed with their program all the way around.

Yeah, I don't see them going away. They are very solid and with the fan-support they have, this program will continue to get better.

Snowgoose
January 5th, 2012, 04:14 PM
Let me clarify that I know the Bison sucked in 08 and 09 (due to injuries and a terrible QB), but there is no doubt in my mind we would have competed or possibly won a championship in 06 and 07 during our transition period. Both of those teams were as good as the current team and the 06(won three out of four games to FBS opponents during those years and dominated all four opponents) never lost to an FCS opponent that year. Therefore, when people say look we made it in our first year I quickly point out that those 06/07 teams were flat out robbed by the NCAA of a chance to do it right away. Everyday that I read another story about the NCAA I think they are the worst run organization ever. Why would you ever penalize the athletes for a move up a division. NCAA is not based on logic and I can't wait for the day when the largest conferences decide they have had enough and decide to drop the NCAA and start their own organization.

The Eagle's Cliff
January 5th, 2012, 05:21 PM
Let me clarify that I know the Bison sucked in 08 and 09 (due to injuries and a terrible QB), but there is no doubt in my mind we would have competed or possibly won a championship in 06 and 07 during our transition period. Both of those teams were as good as the current team and the 06(won three out of four games to FBS opponents during those years and dominated all four opponents) never lost to an FCS opponent that year. Therefore, when people say look we made it in our first year I quickly point out that those 06/07 teams were flat out robbed by the NCAA of a chance to do it right away. Everyday that I read another story about the NCAA I think they are the worst run organization ever. Why would you ever penalize the athletes for a move up a division. NCAA is not based on logic and I can't wait for the day when the largest conferences decide they have had enough and decide to drop the NCAA and start their own organization.

I don't have any problem praising NDSU, Delaware or other great programs for their achievements. However, I don't think a Top Tier DII making a transition to I-AA and quickly making a championship game is anywhere near the same as starting a program from scratch and winning 4 NC's and a Runner up in the first 7 seasons. That's why I also think Old Dominion has been most impressive. Compare ODU to Ga State next year and Charlotte in a few years.

While Troy didn't make it to the Championship, their transition from DII to DIA in 20 years has been pretty impressive. I'm pretty sure of what will happen with some Top FCS schools in the East after 2013 and I will be shocked and disappointed if Western schools like Montana, Montana St, NDSU, and Northern Iowa aren't part of something similar.

Snowgoose
January 5th, 2012, 05:44 PM
I agree with you Cliff, winning as fast as you guys did is more impressive. I just have developed this disdain for the NCAA and how it affects the student athletes. Our teams in 06 and 07 were so good and never got a chance and it bothers me. These teams could have definitely won a title.

The NCAA develops most of their rules without logic. Speaking of that I read an article a week or so ago about the Georgia Bulldogs coach getting in trouble for paying his assistants bonuses out of his own pocket and I can't believe the big conferences put up with this stuff.

ursus arctos horribilis
January 5th, 2012, 06:42 PM
I agree with you Cliff, winning as fast as you guys did is more impressive. I just have developed this disdain for the NCAA and how it affects the student athletes. Our teams in 06 and 07 were so good and never got a chance and it bothers me. These teams could have definitely won a title.

The NCAA develops most of their rules without logic. Speaking of that I read an article a week or so ago about the Georgia Bulldogs coach getting in trouble for paying his assistants bonuses out of his own pocket and I can't believe the big conferences put up with this stuff.

If you're talking about NDSU then I have zero idea how you can say they definitely would have championship cuz I wouldn't have given them even a favorite status let alone a definite status...but I'm not seeing through your specs either, I'm a little more impartial.

Setting that aside. I don't know the exact particulars but we could look them up I suppose but the players that were reqruited under D2 standards do not meet what the rest of the teams competing in FCS had to do. That's the reason, and it appears to be a good one. Why do you think that NDSU should have been given some out on a contract they signed up for and knew full well going in what the requirements were?

"Yes, we want to do this and agree to your terms unless it turns out that we think we should be included due to an advantage (perceived or real) that we have over the other teams in the division."

Really?

ursus arctos horribilis
January 5th, 2012, 06:43 PM
Welcome to the board btw SnowGoose. Glad to have ya here.

Snowgoose
January 5th, 2012, 10:23 PM
I don't believe NDSU should have been given any special treatment as I wasn't saying that, but a 5 year probation period is plain stupid along with most of the NCAA rules. They should figure out a different way instead of penalizing the student athletes that is all I am saying. I think most of the penalties the NCAA now hands down are complete jokes.

And yes they would have competed for a national title both of those years. They may not have won it but they were definitely a top four team. I believe if you look at the end of the year sagarin ratings NDSU finishes I believe like second behind appalachian in 2006 and fourth in 2007. Both of these teams were loaded with unbelievable talent (albeit not as deep do to the lower scholarships at that time) and no they did not have any different kids academically than they do now. Just for an example the defense had 4 NFL players and the offense was better than the defense for those teams.

ursus arctos horribilis
January 5th, 2012, 10:37 PM
I don't believe NDSU should have been given any special treatment as I wasn't saying that, but a 5 year probation period is plain stupid along with most of the NCAA rules. They should figure out a different way instead of penalizing the student athletes that is all I am saying. I think most of the penalties the NCAA now hands down are complete jokes.

And yes they would have competed for a national title both of those years. They may not have won it but they were definitely a top four team. I believe if you look at the end of the year sagarin ratings NDSU finishes I believe like second behind appalachian in 2006 and fourth in 2007. Both of these teams were loaded with unbelievable talent (albeit not as deep do to the lower scholarships at that time) and no they did not have any different kids academically than they do now. Just for an example the defense had 4 NFL players and the offense was better than the defense for those teams.

I watched many of the games and know the teams well. You are stating that they had penalties and that's a bit of a misrepresentation as to a probationary period for an incoming move up team.

On other actual penalties and the uneven way they are handled I can't argue that but the probation period requirements are the same for all teams coming in.

This is the line I was going off of:
"Our teams in 06 and 07 were so good and never got a chance and it bothers me. These teams could have definitely won a title."

Which is significantly different than:
"they would have competed for a national title both of those years."

I don't disagree with the second one.

darell1976
January 6th, 2012, 08:26 AM

It would have been something to see NDSU in the playoffs in those years.

89Hen
January 6th, 2012, 08:32 AM
While Troy didn't make it to the Championship, their transition from DII to DIA in 20 years has been pretty impressive.

Has it? They still average under 18,000 fans per game and their marquis win since moving up is either a victory over a 7-6 Okie State in 2007 or a New Orleans Bowl win over an 8-5 Ohio. Yuck.

blueballs
January 6th, 2012, 09:59 AM
I saw NDSU and App State in 2006 against a common opponent live on the same field within 30 days of each other. Trust me when I say this, NDSU would have given App all they wanted and then some that year. If I were a betting man and handicapping that game I would have made NDSU a favorite in that hypothetical matchup.

89Hen
January 6th, 2012, 10:55 AM
I saw NDSU and App State in 2006 against a common opponent live on the same field within 30 days of each other.

Meaningless. COUNTLESS times one team will lose to a team that lost to a team the first thumped.

The Eagle's Cliff
January 6th, 2012, 11:07 AM
Has it? They still average under 18,000 fans per game and their marquis win since moving up is either a victory over a 7-6 Okie State in 2007 or a New Orleans Bowl win over an 8-5 Ohio. Yuck.

I'm thinking of revenue, sponsorship, etc. and also considering their DII status in 1992 to FBS in 2001. Wins aren't as important as revenue at the FBS level. In terms of building "program status", Troy is wayyyy beyond where they were 20 years ago, but I get what you're saying too.

eaglemachine
January 6th, 2012, 11:07 AM
Meaningless. COUNTLESS times one team will lose to a team that lost to a team the first thumped.

True. GSU vs Furman / Furman vs ASU this year.

texcap
January 6th, 2012, 11:09 AM

True. In addition, you can discount even more the comparative nature of the results when one of the games is a rivalry type game, like ASU vs. GSU. I'm sure that GSU put much more effort into the ASU game, whether specifically noted or not, because of ASU being a bitter rival.

PAllen
January 6th, 2012, 11:14 AM
Lehigh made it to the championship game their first year in I-AA (1979) only to get clobbered by Roy Kidd's boys from EKU. Now, if we could only get over the hump and not get clobbered in the second round by the eventual national champion, we could get back to greatness. Oh wait, the 1979 championship game was the second round. DAMN IT! xbangx

henfan
January 6th, 2012, 12:38 PM
I don't have any problem praising NDSU, Delaware or other great programs for their achievements. However, I don't think a Top Tier DII making a transition to I-AA and quickly making a championship game is anywhere near the same as starting a program from scratch and winning 4 NC's and a Runner up in the first 7 seasons.

Agreed. When UD reclassified, one thing we noticed was very little, if any, competitive difference between D-II and I-AA at that time. In fact, several of the programs that would eventually end up in I-AA were in D-II in the '70's and early '80's.

henfan
January 6th, 2012, 12:40 PM

This is something I was saying way before they even fielded a team. You could just see that they were laying the proper groundwork to be a strong program, unlike a few others who have entered into the D-I FB fray in recent years.

ursus arctos horribilis
January 6th, 2012, 12:58 PM
I'm thinking of revenue, sponsorship, etc. and also considering their DII status in 1992 to FBS in 2001. Wins aren't as important as revenue at the FBS level. In terms of building "program status", Troy is wayyyy beyond where they were 20 years ago, but I get what you're saying too.

Waht are their increases in revenue vs. the expense? I read a clolumn this summer showing how most of these schools are pretty heavily subsidized by student fees. Troy was one of the very top offenders in that almost 1/2 of their atletic budget is paid for by student fees.

I've posted it before so I'll go look for the link.

ursus arctos horribilis
January 6th, 2012, 01:00 PM
here it is.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/2010-01-13-ncaa-athletics-subsidies_N.htm

The Eagle's Cliff
January 7th, 2012, 07:14 AM
Waht are their increases in revenue vs. the expense? I read a clolumn this summer showing how most of these schools are pretty heavily subsidized by student fees. Troy was one of the very top offenders in that almost 1/2 of their atletic budget is paid for by student fees.

I've posted it before so I'll go look for the link.

The only thing I've heard about Troy's Athletics Fees are that ONLY main-campus students pay the fee. Troy has campuses in different cities like the University of Phoenix. Our former AD and an assistant AD worked for Troy through their FBS transition and I've discussed some financial details with the former AD. That assistant is now AD at UL-Lafayette. What I gathered is that corporate dollars flowed that were non-existent in I-AA and DII for Troy.

I'm not sure how Montana, Delaware, NDSU, etc would benefit from reclassification as you don't really have an in-state Goliath rival like UGA for us or Alabama for Troy/Jax St. Even with reclassification, Regional schools like us can only hope to increase our regional commercial market share and get alumni more involved. For the first several years, the program will not generate enough revenue to cover expenses, but the investment should pay off 10,20, and 30 years down the road with increased attendance, donors, and sponsorship.

Mr. C
January 7th, 2012, 07:46 AM
I saw NDSU and App State in 2006 against a common opponent live on the same field within 30 days of each other. Trust me when I say this, NDSU would have given App all they wanted and then some that year. If I were a betting man and handicapping that game I would have made NDSU a favorite in that hypothetical matchup.

You have to remember that Georgia Southern played one of its best games of the year against Appalachian State that season. Rivalry games put a different spin on things. UMass was a big, physical team that was similar to ASU that year and the Mountaineers managed to beat the Minutemen for the title.

Mr. C
January 7th, 2012, 07:50 AM
The only thing I've heard about Troy's Athletics Fees are that ONLY main-campus students pay the fee. Troy has campuses in different cities like the University of Phoenix. Our former AD and an assistant AD worked for Troy through their FBS transition and I've discussed some financial details with the former AD. That assistant is now AD at UL-Lafayette. What I gathered is that corporate dollars flowed that were non-existent in I-AA and DII for Troy.

I'm not sure how Montana, Delaware, NDSU, etc would benefit from reclassification as you don't really have an in-state Goliath rival like UGA for us or Alabama for Troy/Jax St. Even with reclassification, Regional schools like us can only hope to increase our regional commercial market share and get alumni more involved. For the first several years, the program will not generate enough revenue to cover expenses, but the investment should pay off 10,20, and 30 years down the road with increased attendance, donors, and sponsorship.

Troy is one of the few schools that has had a little bit of success at the FBS level and, as you pointed out in one of your earlier posts, the Trojans are better as a program than they would have been in staying put. But the Montana study showed that the numbers just didn't add up for the Griz to make a move and that it would have a devastating impact on the rest of the program. The overall sports programs at many of the schools suffer when more money is thrown into football. The Marshall program is an example of this.

kardplayer
January 7th, 2012, 07:54 AM
In case there is still debate, this thread states that first year of eligibility was 2008:
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/archive/index.php/t-15755.html