PDA

View Full Version : ASU's Coaching situation

Pages : [1] 2

StorminASU
December 22nd, 2011, 08:07 AM
I wanted to make this thread to post all the details about ASU's coaching staff that people have been hearing. I don't care if it's rumors or not, as long as you're not just making stuff up as you write, because rumors turn out to be true pretty often in the case of ASU athletics (since it's not the most transparent organization, evidently rumors are equivalent to other's press releases).

Also, don't turn this into an idiotic FBS debate. I don't care if we're moving or how it affects the coaches, I just want to know how many coaches are leaving, who was fired, why, etc.....

Let's have at it.

StorminASU
December 22nd, 2011, 08:09 AM
I guess I should get it going maybe, I've heard that Lil' Mo was fired this week and that Speir is taking Elder, Glenn and Blalock with him. I've also heard Moore has ten days to get rid of McClain. That doesn't exactly leave a robust staff for next year's very tough schedule.

How much longer does Moore stick around (or how much does he really care) if it's true his son got fired out from under him?

asumike83
December 22nd, 2011, 08:27 AM
I have heard the same thing about Chris Moore being fired. I have heard that Speir will take Glenn and Blalock with him but would be very surprised if Elder left Boone. The next few days will be very interesting, to say the least.

ASU_Fanatic
December 22nd, 2011, 09:26 AM
Watch Moore just retire now, it would be a mess.

GSU Eagle
December 22nd, 2011, 09:37 AM
Not having alot of inside info about App's coaching staff I have a couple of questions:

1. Chris Moore I assume is Coach Moore's son. If that is true who fired him? You are telling me he was fired by someone other than the head coach, his father. That seems odd to say the least. If that is true I could see Coach Moore being pretty pissed and just deciding to retire now.

2. Is there a discontent among App's coaches that would lead to several of them leaving to join Speir at WCU?

StorminASU
December 22nd, 2011, 09:49 AM
Not having alot of inside info about App's coaching staff I have a couple of questions:

1. Chris Moore I assume is Coach Moore's son. If that is true who fired him? You are telling me he was fired by someone other than the head coach, his father. That seems odd to say the least. If that is true I could see Coach Moore being pretty pissed and just deciding to retire now.

2. Is there a discontent among App's coaches that would lead to several of them leaving to join Speir at WCU?

Evidently 3-4 coaches are leaving with Speir and a disconnect would be putting it mildly from what I've heard. I've heard from several people in the know around town that Coach Moore has been grooming Chris to take his place and has made it very apparent in his staff. That's what supposedly lead to Sean Elliott and Scott Satterfield leaving. This is also the reason an offensive coordinator has not been appointed. Chris supposedly got fired by Charlie Cobb, the AD, though no one has offered any explanation why, or has even been able to confirm he is gone. Between Lil' Mo, the O-line coach and the terrible playcalling committee idea, this may be a blessing indisguise, though this is a HUGE amount of turnover (especially if Jerry hangs it up after having his son fired out from under him). This offseason will be very pivotal and Charlie is gonna earn his paycheck this spring.

BisonHype!
December 22nd, 2011, 09:58 AM
Good luck on that mess. Hope it works out, you have a good program!

StorminASU
December 22nd, 2011, 10:25 AM
This is the most ghetto piece I've ever tried to listen to. Can they not get a working microphone? I'm trying to figure out if he's announced any of his staff. Has anyone been able to hear anything?

MountaineerNation
December 22nd, 2011, 11:23 AM
From what I understand, he will name his Offensive & Defensive coordinator after New Years

PaladinFan
December 22nd, 2011, 12:11 PM
Out of the loop. Why are coaches leaving?

StorminASU
December 22nd, 2011, 12:46 PM

Supposedly because of nepotism. Whatever the reason, this seems to explain the utter lack of any positive changes the past three years on offense.

theasushow
December 22nd, 2011, 12:53 PM

one of the assistants has been named head coach at western..and 2 or 3 coaches will be following him there.

cbarrier90
December 22nd, 2011, 01:02 PM

ASU fans with a flare for the dramatic would have you believe that there has been tons of drama within the coaching staff since 2007. That may be true, but what's also true is that these coaches have received better job offers than they had at ASU. Elliot went from O-Line coach at an FCS powerhouse to O-Line coach at a Top 25 SEC program. For Satterfield, he went from OC at ASU to OC at an FBS program and has turned FIU from a bottom-feeder into a consistent bowl squad. If Cristobal is ever hired away to a bigger program, one has to think Satterfield would be a candidate for HC at FIU or could even follow Cristobal to that bigger program. In Speir's case, he goes from LB coach to head coach immediately.

Bottom line: This is what happens when you are a successful program at this level, and if ASU wants to hang on to its staff long term, Cobb has to open the checkbook, and I'm not sure ASU or any FCS program has the money to make it happen.

asknoquarter21
December 22nd, 2011, 01:27 PM
Congrats to Speir

Heard a couple weeks ago that WCU wanted him as head coach due to his recruiting and leadership. Not sure if he was a great X's and O's coach, but that will soon be determined.

He is going to take some of the ASU staff with him, but it remains to be seen who. I think it is pretty obvious that Brad Glenn will be gone one way or another. I would hate to see anyone else go, but I'm not too upset about Glenn going.

49RFootballNow
December 22nd, 2011, 01:34 PM
That's a lot of turnover for what has been a relatively cohesive staff in the past. Obviously OC and DC are the most important and I'd imagine App could have their pick for those. Still, that's a lot and only weeks before signing day.

StorminASU
December 22nd, 2011, 01:37 PM
That's a lot of turnover for what has been a relatively cohesive staff in the past. Obviously OC and DC are the most important and I'd imagine App could have their pick for those. Still, that's a lot and only weeks before signing day.

I don't care if App has their pick of OC's, I just want them to pick one. Hopefully this playcalling committee stuff is gone with Lil' Mo and Glenn.

cbarrier90
December 22nd, 2011, 02:06 PM

As far as DC goes, Speir better not touch Dale Jones. With the talent coming back on defense, I think Jones stays in Boone.

Yes, OC is obviously the most important, but apparently JM doesn't care. It's been playcalling by committee for the past four years. Hopefully this turnover forces JM to finally install a full-time OC that this team has so desperately needed for a long time.

smallcollegefbfan
December 22nd, 2011, 06:39 PM
Guys,

I know this for a fact. Chris Moore was fired by Cobb for having a relationship with a student trainer. I heard that his wife has left him, don't know if that is true. However, I do know he was fired.

Jerry Moore was indeed trying to groom him. He tried to promote him twice already and Cobb squashed it. Chris Moore never had a shot at the ASU HC job and now never will.

I know Jerry was calling former coaches asking about good assistants as early as two weeks ago so he knew something was going down.

It will be interesting to say the least.

After all the rumors from ASU fans on their OL coach I wonder if he will stay. Not sure Jerry can afford to fire anyone he doesn't have to with so many gone. I'm very curious to see who all goes to WCU. And so WCU and ASU fans know. This is purely about job security. I know Jerry told his assistants last year that they needed to start looking because none of them were guaranteed a job when he stepped down once ASU moved up. Have to wonder with them all bolting now if this means they know something about ASU's future that the public doesn't know.

SpeedkingATL
December 22nd, 2011, 06:57 PM
Jerry needs to hire an OC and let him put together a staff, have Dales Jones as DC and let him put together his staff and then move on. I noticed in Spier's press conference he said he would announce OC and DC the first week of January which shows you his opinion of the committee approach to running the offense. Could be a great opportunity to name something after Jerry, put him in the App Hall of Fame and hire the next guy to run the program. No disrespect to Jerry but with his tenure likely short term at this point due to retirement, it will be difficult to attract top rate assistants knowing that a new HC will be onboard in the next year or two.

catamount man
December 22nd, 2011, 06:57 PM
From what I have heard, Speir is bringing Glenn and Blaylock with him. Maybe Elder. I have also heard former CAT Brett Chappell, the current HC at East Henderson HS, may come on board. As far as ASU's long term stability, I'd always figured Jones would step in once Moore hung them up.

GO CATS!!!

cbarrier90
December 22nd, 2011, 07:10 PM
Guys,

I know this for a fact. Chris Moore was fired by Cobb for having a relationship with a student trainer. I heard that his wife has left him, don't know if that is true. However, I do know he was fired.

Jerry Moore was indeed trying to groom him. He tried to promote him twice already and Cobb squashed it. Chris Moore never had a shot at the ASU HC job and now never will.

I know Jerry was calling former coaches asking about good assistants as early as two weeks ago so he knew something was going down.

After all the rumors from ASU fans on their OL coach I wonder if he will stay. Not sure Jerry can afford to fire anyone he doesn't have to with so many gone. I'm very curious to see who all goes to WCU. And so WCU and ASU fans know. This is purely about job security. I know Jerry told his assistants last year that they needed to start looking because none of them were guaranteed a job when he stepped down once ASU moved up. Have to wonder with them all bolting now if this means they know something about ASU's future that the public doesn't know.

Wow...

JM in my opinion has earned the right to go out on his own terms. While I don't think he needs to be fired, I think now is the perfect opportunity to phase out the JM era and usher in a new one. I would prefer a "coach in waiting" deal, but I fear that would result in a WVU-esque debacle rather than a smoother, FSU-esque transition.

FCS_pwns_FBS
December 22nd, 2011, 08:40 PM
This sort of reminds me of the situation with Rusty Russell (Erk's son) at GSU. Of course, I don't think Erk wanted him to be head coach, but he was higher up in the coaching hierarchy than he should have been. Two other assistants were basically running the defense when he was supposed to be the DC.

Stay tuned folks, this is going to be interesting.

cbarrier90
December 22nd, 2011, 08:45 PM
This sort of reminds me of the situation with Rusty Russell (Erk's son) at GSU. Of course, I don't think Erk wanted him to be head coach, but he was higher up in the coaching hierarchy than he should have been. Two other assistants were basically running the defense when he was supposed to be the DC.

Stay tuned folks, this is going to be interesting.

Speaking of which, for the sake of a comparison, how was the transition for GSU to the post-Erk era? Was it determined before his final season that it would be his last or did he retire unexpectedly?

FCS_pwns_FBS
December 22nd, 2011, 08:53 PM
Speaking of which, for the sake of a comparison, how was the transition for GSU to the post-Erk era? Was it determined before his final season that it would be his last or did he retire unexpectedly?

He announced his retirement after the NC game in 1989. Didn't surprise a lot of people. He was 63 when he retired.

We won the NC in 90, missed the playoffs in '91, '92, and '94. Lost in the quarterfinals in '93 and '95.

SoCon48
December 22nd, 2011, 09:43 PM
Evidently 3-4 coaches are leaving with Speir and a disconnect would be putting it mildly from what I've heard. I've heard from several people in the know around town that Coach Moore has been grooming Chris to take his place and has made it very apparent in his staff. That's what supposedly lead to Sean Elliott and Scott Satterfield leaving. This is also the reason an offensive coordinator has not been appointed. Chris supposedly got fired by Charlie Cobb, the AD, though no one has offered any explanation why, or has even been able to confirm he is gone. Between Lil' Mo, the O-line coach and the terrible playcalling committee idea, this may be a blessing indisguise, though this is a HUGE amount of turnover (especially if Jerry hangs it up after having his son fired out from under him). This offseason will be very pivotal and Charlie is gonna earn his paycheck this spring.

That's BS about JM grooming CM to take his place.

SoCon48
December 22nd, 2011, 09:45 PM
Wow...

JM in my opinion has earned the right to go out on his own terms. While I don't think he needs to be fired, I think now is the perfect opportunity to phase out the JM era and usher in a new one. I would prefer a "coach in waiting" deal, but I fear that would result in a WVU-esque debacle rather than a smoother, FSU-esque transition.

SPOT ON!!!

SoCon48
December 22nd, 2011, 09:51 PM
This is the most ghetto piece I've ever tried to listen to. Can they not get a working microphone? I'm trying to figure out if he's announced any of his staff. Has anyone been able to hear anything?

Don't say "ghetto" on the MMB or you'll get flamed and piled on by tons of PC's. I did.

AppMan
December 23rd, 2011, 05:25 AM
That's BS about JM grooming CM to take his place.

I can assure you it is not BS. Chris has been a constant source of anguish to Coach Moore and Margret. Still, JM has tried to help his son achieve what most of us who know Chris realized was impossible, the head coaching position at ASU. JM gave Chris the largest increases in salary on the staff over the past 5-7 years. The records are public information for anyone to look up. The issue has been a big source of friction among the staff mainly because he did very little in comparison to the other coaches. Chris has been in trouble numerous times and served a multiple game suspension two years ago for an incident that (as told to me by an ASU administrator) was hushed up by the local authorities "out of respect for Jerry & Margret Moore." It is in the court documents, go look it up. Chris has a problem walking away from alcohol and that can be a problem in a small town like Boone. He has a history of being intoxicated at alumni and Yosef Club events. Coach Moore has bailed him out time and time again, but this last issue was too much for Coach Moore to overcome. It is my understanding JM wouldn't pull the trigger, so the AD stepped in. Many people close to the situation think Coach Moore's motivation to continue working the past five years was more to keep Chris employed and out of trouble. If that is the case, he won't be around much longer.

eaglewraith
December 23rd, 2011, 06:35 AM
Wow...

I don't know if you can exactly call what happened at FSU as smooth.

catamount man
December 23rd, 2011, 07:06 AM
I can assure you it is not BS. Chris has been a constant source of anguish to Coach Moore and Margret. Still, JM has tried to help his son achieve what most of us who know Chris realized was impossible, the head coaching position at ASU. JM gave Chris the largest increases in salary on the staff over the past 5-7 years. The records are public information for anyone to look up. The issue has been a big source of friction among the staff mainly because he did very little in comparison to the other coaches. Chris has been in trouble numerous times and served a multiple game suspension two years ago for an incident that (as told to me by an ASU administrator) was hushed up by the local authorities "out of respect for Jerry & Margret Moore." It is in the court documents, go look it up. Chris has a problem walking away from alcohol and that can be a problem in a small town like Boone. He has a history of being intoxicated at alumni and Yosef Club events. Coach Moore has bailed him out time and time again, but this last issue was too much for Coach Moore to overcome. It is my understanding JM wouldn't pull the trigger, so the AD stepped in. Many people close to the situation think Coach Moore's motivation to continue working the past five years was more to keep Chris employed and out of trouble. If that is the case, he won't be around much longer.

WOW! App State, the institution, is bigger than Jerry Moore and despite his accomplishments, there is no excuse for this. His son should be held to the same standards that other coaches adhere too. I've heard, don't stone me, that Mike O'Cain has made overtures for the App job to replace Moore.

StorminASU
December 23rd, 2011, 07:21 AM

I respect the mess out of JM, especially hearing some of this back story, but it's stuff like this that makes me so furious when people say he should be given a free pass to leave on his own. If this is true, he has put his family above the institution for at least the past 5-7 years. No wonder assistants are jumping off if he's giving his inept son raises over other staff. This infuriates me that he gambled with our football program to get his son a paycheck.

StorminASU
December 23rd, 2011, 07:50 AM
I think at this point, you could almost make it unofficial official that JM will announce his retirement after this first of the year sometime.

Saint3333
December 23rd, 2011, 07:59 AM
Wow the rumors have turned into Jerry Moore is retiring, let's stop the speculation and wait and see what shakes out.

Chris Moore wasn't liked by many alumni so some in the fanbase should be happy to hear he gone (too bad this is the reason if true).

But the speculation of anything further does anyone no good.

AppMan
December 23rd, 2011, 08:03 AM
Let me add I am not bashing Coach Moore. I respect the man and what he stands for tremendously. As a father I can understand his motivation for wanting to help his son, but even with some of the best intentions blood gets in the way of judgement. Unfortunately a university setting is not the place for a family plan of employment. I sincerely hope this is a wake uo call for Chris and he gets his act together. He is a likeable guy, but needs to grow up and accept show responsibility for his life and actions.

asknoquarter21
December 23rd, 2011, 08:11 AM
Let's remember that this is a national message board.

I have heard a lot of different things from people "in the know" truth is no one REALLY knows what is going to happen in the next few weeks. Obviously recruiting is big and with coaches in limbo that should be the immediate concern. The bottom line is that the ASU football program is run by two men that are both very respected by their peers. I am sure the Cobb is already on top of the situation and knows what is going on.

I am not worried one way or another as our program will be fine. The facilities and name recognition that ASU has at this point is going to make the school an attractive option for assistant coaches especially a coach who could become the "coach in waiting". While I don't expect Satterfield to come back for any job other than Head Coach it isn't out of the relm of possibility that we hire a top WR or QB coach to take over as OC then potentially be HC.

My only worry with this approach is that we become a stepping stone for bigger FBS programs.

tractorapp
December 23rd, 2011, 08:17 AM
Let me add I am not bashing Coach Moore. I respect the man and what he stands for tremendously. As a father I can understand his motivation for wanting to help his son, but even with some of the best intentions blood gets in the way of judgement. Unfortunately a university setting is not the place for a family plan of employment. I sincerely hope this is a wake uo call for Chris and he gets his act together. He is a likeable guy, but needs to grow up and accept show responsibility for his life and actions.
Well said DG, I pray for healing for all and repentance for those in the wrong. So very said for Margaret. We've meet her and spoken with her several times and what a wonderful lady. She certainly does not deserve this.

boonedocks
December 23rd, 2011, 08:18 AM
My only worry with this approach is that we become a stepping stone for bigger FBS programs.

Hopefully that's true. If your not a stepping stone, you're not winning. No school can keep good coaches from bolting except the Alabama's and LSU's of the world.

At the non-BCS level, if your good, your coaches will get poached. Just have to try to keep bringing in good people. Hell, even Tennessee got Kiffin'd, and they have unlimited funds.

asumike83
December 23rd, 2011, 08:45 AM
I have also heard from a couple of folks that strength and conditioning coach Mike Kent is leaving for Colorado State.

I will wait and see how everything shakes out but it looks like we are in for some turnover this offseason one way or another. I am also of the opinion that ASU is a very desirable destination, Cobb will make good hires and we will have continued success.

Kill'em
December 23rd, 2011, 08:48 AM
Well said DG, I pray for healing for all and repentance for those in the wrong. So very said for Margaret. We've meet her and spoken with her several times and what a wonderful lady. She certainly does not deserve this.

I will always have worlds of respect for coach and Mrs Moore. I won't forget hearing that she personally made a trip to the hospital to check on one of our kids who had a scary injury in the game three years ago. First Class Lady, for sure.

eaglewraith
December 23rd, 2011, 08:59 AM
I have also heard from a couple of folks that strength and conditioning coach Mike Kent is leaving for Colorado State.

I will wait and see how everything shakes out but it looks like we are in for some turnover this offseason one way or another. I am also of the opinion that ASU is a very desirable destination, Cobb will make good hires and we will have continued success.

From what I've seen on the App board, isn't Cobb looking for a new job as well? Someone said he was disappointed he didn't get the AD job at NC State or was that just one of those rumors that get started sometimes?

asumike83
December 23rd, 2011, 09:02 AM
From what I've seen on the App board, isn't Cobb looking for a new job as well? Someone said he was disappointed he didn't get the AD job at NC State or was that just one of those rumors that get started sometimes?

True that he wanted the NC State job as that is his alma mater but from what I've heard, it is untrue that he is currently looking for a new job.

ASUMountaineer
December 23rd, 2011, 09:31 AM

I have no inside knowledge, but I'm assuming it's just a rumor. I would hope that he would want to see through what he's started (FBS). But, who knows?

asknoquarter21
December 23rd, 2011, 09:36 AM
I think Cobb's dream job is NCSU

Depending on how the last basketball hire works out for Yow he might have that opportunity in the near future.

I don't think he leaves ASU for a while.

wirt
December 23rd, 2011, 09:38 AM
Guys,

that's quite a bold statement. what are your so-called sources? and why the vendetta against Chris Moore?

StorminASU
December 23rd, 2011, 09:46 AM
that's quite a bold statement. what are your so-called sources? and why the vendetta against Chris Moore?

Some of this is somewhat common knowledge in Boone it seems so I don't see a vendetta here at all. MANY in the ASU fanbase have questioned C. Moore's skill and how he got/keeps the position he has. I hate he has continually made bad decisions and hope he cleans up his act, but telling what many know already is not a vendetta.

wirt
December 23rd, 2011, 09:52 AM
i think his coaching skills are what matter and what should be important. what hes done on his own time should not be of any concern. all of his kids for the past 16 years have graduated with degrees, and he knows how to coach. the only person getting in the way this year in terms of play calling was Brad Glenn, who didnt know how to adjust plays after seeing the defense. the main issue this past season was that every offensive coach was being stubborn and didnt want to listen to anybody else

asufan87
December 23rd, 2011, 10:09 AM
It's not what he does on his own time. It's what he does and with who. A member of the football staff with a student who's connected to the program? That's just plain dumb and a fireable offense on any campus.

wirt
December 23rd, 2011, 10:17 AM
whats "offensive" is the claims that people keep making on here without any source of proof. how do yall think that makes their family members feel? i have a very difficult time believing he would do something like that when he has a wife and kids

DinoDex200
December 23rd, 2011, 10:22 AM
i have a very difficult time believing he would do something like that when he has a wife and kids

Yes...we know no man in a position of power has ever done something illicit with a young girl while he was married with kids. xrolleyesx

ThompsonThe
December 23rd, 2011, 10:22 AM
i think his coaching skills are what matter and what should be important. what hes done on his own time should not be of any concern. all of his kids for the past 16 years have graduated with degrees, and he knows how to coach. the only person getting in the way this year in terms of play calling was Brad Glenn, who didnt know how to adjust plays after seeing the defense. the main issue this past season was that every offensive coach was being stubborn and didnt want to listen to anybody else

So is this CHRIS MOORE coming onto another message boaard to "defend" himself?
Sure seems that way. Did you use another name this time instead of Mort1Mor?
Why do you do that Chris?

wirt
December 23rd, 2011, 10:24 AM
i am not chris. i am a friend of the family, and as i said before these claims are just outrageous

DinoDex200
December 23rd, 2011, 10:28 AM
So is this CHRIS MOORE coming onto another message boaard to "defend" himself?
Sure seems that way. Did you use another name this time instead of Mort1Mor?
Why do you do that Chris?

Wow...he seriously did that? That's sad.

Also - if our RB coach is trying to defend himself with his coaching credentials, after his RBs ran for 3 whole yards, and he was calling the plays in the last half of the season...that's just laughable.

I've read enough posts from long-time App posters I trust as sources of information to believe that he was terminated for misconduct. And I've been around him enough at athletic and fundraising events to not be surprised.

ThompsonThe
December 23rd, 2011, 10:30 AM
i am not chris. i am a friend of the family, and as i said before these claims are just outrageous
Sure Chris, anything you say. So, if they are so outrageous, why don't you tell us about the drinking problem, the court stuff and many other things that you have been doing the last several years.

StorminASU
December 23rd, 2011, 10:36 AM

The main issue is Daddy Jerry not implementing an OC to quit all this squabbling in, what can only be perceived as, an attempt to protect his son from criticism. I believe JM's favoritism has led to all the assistants we've lost recently as much, or more so, than the usual "FCS schools lose good coaches" excuse. Why didn't anyone come clamoring for Chris if that were the case. We had a good running game the golden years...makes you wonder a little bit.

BisonHype!
December 23rd, 2011, 10:39 AM
Wirt. Did you just join to come on here to defend him on this topic?

ThompsonThe
December 23rd, 2011, 10:44 AM
Well for anyone watching each App State game it certainly accounts more for all the up and down games that the team has played the last three years. They would look like world beaters one week and then play like they had neer seen a football the next week. When an official says that he has never heard so much controversy on the sidelines about play calling, and we get the kind of plays run that we have it pretty much makes sense.
Just glad it will be a different group of coaches next year, and we can see consistency.

T-Dog
December 23rd, 2011, 10:52 AM

Cobb is a NC State alum so you can't blame him for wanting to be their AD.

The rest about wanting a new job is fan speculation.

AppState89
December 23rd, 2011, 11:11 AM
Funny you state he had a multiple game suspension two years ago?? I heard the same thing about the multiple (2 to be exact) suspension. All I know is that I would have been fired for what he did two years ago, but it gets hushed up. That's BS. Just like the great DB that got suspended for the 2007 National Championship game, for the same thing. We are better off without him and several others coaches.

fcsfootball71
December 23rd, 2011, 11:11 AM

Apparently not that close. I have had a few people VERY close to the situation for the past few years and Chris has been huge liability for years. If anyone got in the way of play calling it was Chris. I guess we will see how "great" of a coach he is by where he ends up after the latest incident. It was a matter of time before it happened. He has been covered for for too many issues.

AppState89
December 23rd, 2011, 11:12 AM
He is just posting like he did on the MMB. At least you can understand what he is saying on here.

BisonHype!
December 23rd, 2011, 11:13 AM
Apparently not that close. I have had a few people VERY close to the situation for the past few years and Chris has been huge liability for years. If anyone got in the way of play calling it was Chris. I guess we will see how "great" of a coach he is by where he ends up after the latest incident. It was a matter of time before it happened. He has been covered for for too many issues.

If he is a good coach he should land on his feet, and shouldn't have a problem picking up a decent job somewhere. Coaches talk, and that should be the tell in all of this.

fcsfootball71
December 23rd, 2011, 11:45 AM

Do you think Cobb will make a good hire? Do you remember how the men's basketball hires have been the past couple of years for you? I'm not sure the situation should have gotten to this point in the first place. Some interesting times for you guys at ASU.

PhillyApp1
December 23rd, 2011, 11:50 AM
He also hired Darcy Vincent who cleaned house and is winning .

T-Dog
December 23rd, 2011, 12:42 PM
Do you think Cobb will make a good hire? Do you remember how the men's basketball hires have been the past couple of years for you? I'm not sure the situation should have gotten to this point in the first place. Some interesting times for you guys at ASU.

Men's hoops has a booster who was very involved in the coaching "searches". Besides those, Cobb has made some great hires in other sports. The women's hoops coach Darcie Vincett is a great example.

SoCon48
December 23rd, 2011, 12:50 PM

Did it occur to you that JM asked CC to fire CM?? That's what I would do to maintain some semblence of harmony in my family.

SoCon48
December 23rd, 2011, 12:52 PM
Men's hoops has a booster who was very involved in the coaching "searches". Besides those, Cobb has made some great hires in other sports. The women's hoops coach Darcie Vincett is a great example.

An AD has to rise above the prejudices of hi dollar boosters. I would have resigned before I would have allowed a booster or boosters to coerce me into hiring Buzz or hiring another Bluer to the HC postion without an extensive outside search.

SoCon48
December 23rd, 2011, 12:55 PM
If he is a good coach he should land on his feet, and shouldn't have a problem picking up a decent job somewhere. Coaches talk, and that should be the tell in all of this.

If he did what the rumors are indicating, he will be a hot potato in all of high school and college athletics. No matter how good a coach he is, I wouldn't hire him with this baggage.

SoCon48
December 23rd, 2011, 01:24 PM

As to salary:

Jerry Moore (23 seasons with program) $170,000
Dale Jones (16) 85,801
Mike Kent (2) 78,885
Mark Speir (9) 72,100
Chris Moore (13) 72,100
Bob McClain (2) 70,000
Scot Sloan (2) 65,300
Brad Glenn (7) 65,000
Jason Blalock (2) 31,500
Trey Elder (2) 25,000
John Holt (4) 22,625
John Mark Hamilton (3) not available

(Kent and Blalock are in their second tenures at ASU.)

SoCon48
December 23rd, 2011, 01:26 PM

Speir was in the act of preparing to leave for WCU. Wouldn't that cause the need to look for coaches??????????

SoCon48
December 23rd, 2011, 01:32 PM
I think at this point, you could almost make it unofficial official that JM will announce his retirement after this first of the year sometime.

If that is true, tons of members of the MMB will be ecstatic.

SoCon48
December 23rd, 2011, 01:35 PM
I will always have worlds of respect for coach and Mrs Moore. I won't forget hearing that she personally made a trip to the hospital to check on one of our kids who had a scary injury in the game three years ago. First Class Lady, for sure.

She drove 2 and half hours to deliver an autographed football to me for my grandson.

Kill'em
December 23rd, 2011, 05:07 PM
+1 for her!

pbr1893
December 23rd, 2011, 09:18 PM
I respect the mess out of JM, especially hearing some of this back story, but it's stuff like this that makes me so furious when people say he should be given a free pass to leave on his own. If this is true, he has put his family above the institution for at least the past 5-7 years. No wonder assistants are jumping off if he's giving his inept son raises over other staff. This infuriates me that he gambled with our football program to get his son a paycheck.

man...that's just not true in my opinion...the last 5-7 years??? if memory serves correct, part of those years, he "gambled" on a lesser known player named edwards over a starting qb and won 2 more of 3 straight championships. his son would never be head coach cause we all know a head coach for app needs hc experience and/or higher coaching experience which little mo doesn't have. i know coach...we're not pen pals but i know him...the man is all asu!!! these effing rumors need to stop! and also, leaving on his own terms???? before 05, would most people know about asu football???? he deserves some respect!

AppMan
December 23rd, 2011, 09:19 PM
Did it occur to you that JM asked CC to fire CM?? That's what I would do to maintain some semblence of harmony in my family.

It is my understanding just the opposite is true. The version of the story I got was the issue was discussed with Coach Moore who did nothing. Chris walked in on Friday and Cobb pulled the trigger. Chris then informed Dad what happened.

AppMan
December 23rd, 2011, 09:31 PM
As to salary:

Jerry Moore (23 seasons with program) $170,000
Dale Jones (16) 85,801
Mike Kent (2) 78,885
Mark Speir (9) 72,100
Chris Moore (13) 72,100
Bob McClain (2) 70,000
Scot Sloan (2) 65,300
Brad Glenn (7) 65,000
Jason Blalock (2) 31,500
Trey Elder (2) 25,000
John Holt (4) 22,625
John Mark Hamilton (3) not available

(Kent and Blalock are in their second tenures at ASU.)

Go back and check the % of increases the last five years. The 13 years of "experience" is very misleading. Chris was a student assistant four years and and volunteer the next two seasons while he was obtaining his BS degree. Both positions were non salary. He went from $0 salary to the second highest paid assistant in 7 years.

ThompsonThe
December 23rd, 2011, 09:41 PM
There are so many things that have happened over the past several years that tells me that Coach Moore was not managing the team effectively.
Anyone that saw the 30 minute documentary on Fox Sports South about three years ago could tell you in a few short minutes that they would not have someone like Chris Moore on their staff.
There are just too many things to go into. Coach Moore has had literally years to right the ship, many things beyond his son.

ASU_Fanatic
December 24th, 2011, 12:06 AM
Is it official CM is fired or is it all BS?

ThompsonThe
December 24th, 2011, 12:12 AM
Is it official CM is fired or is it all BS?
My understanding is that CM is out.

ASU_Fanatic
December 24th, 2011, 12:15 AM
My understanding is that CM is out.Wow, I heard last week something big could be happening but this is insane, I never believed JM could be leaving but it looks as if there is a chance he could be hanging it up. I understand Speir leaving, obviously...but some of these other coaches leaving is getting a little fishy.

AppMan
December 24th, 2011, 09:14 AM
I am not calling for Coach Moore to resign, but I don't see how he survives this. The man is almost 73, his son has been fired by the AD and is now faced with the task of replacing a minimum of 5, perhaps as many as 7, assistant coaches and the strength coach. Not certain if he is up to it. The Christmas break gives Coach Moore time to take a breath and reach a rational decision.

Apphole
December 24th, 2011, 09:31 AM
I think now is the time for Cobb to find a new HC. Not that Moore needs to be 'fired', but a group of half old-guard half new blood could be a disaster. With a maximum 2 more FCS seasons, now is the time to find the new face of ASU football, one with experience and the intention of coaching in the FBS. We have outgrown the "good ol' boy" ways of old and passed those ways to Cullowhee where they belong(no offense to Spier, but the 2011 App State coaching staff is not FBS worthy). There is absolutely no shame in a 73 year old JM retiring as the winningest coach in SoCon history and a three time national champion.

asumike83
December 24th, 2011, 10:30 AM
This entire situation honestly has me at a loss. If all these rumors turn out to be true and it leads to Jerry Moore leaving Appalachian under uncomfortable circumstances, it will be a very sad day to be a Mountaineer.

GSU Eagle
December 24th, 2011, 10:53 AM
Let me suggest a replacement for JM. He is currently the defensive coordinator for the Atl. Falcons. He has some experience in the SoCon. I think he would be a great choice :)

SoCon48
December 24th, 2011, 12:07 PM
Let me suggest a replacement for JM. He is currently the defensive coordinator for the Atl. Falcons. He has some experience in the SoCon. I think he would be a great choice :)

There are many "great" choices among former players and/or coaches. The problem is most would take a pay cut to come to Boone. A substantial one for most. Too, many equate having been a stellar player with being a great coaching prospect. That is untrue as often as it is true.

Waco Kid
December 24th, 2011, 01:48 PM
There are many "great" choices among former players and/or coaches. The problem is most would take a pay cut to come to Boone. A substantial one for most. Too, many equate having been a stellar player with being a great coaching prospect. That is untrue as often as it is true.

Wow that post from GSU Eagle went right over your head Cline...

SpeedkingATL
December 24th, 2011, 02:08 PM

I thought he was returning to GSU when Monken replaces Paul Johnson at Tech next year.

SoCon48
December 24th, 2011, 02:19 PM
I think now is the time for Cobb to find a new HC. Not that Moore needs to be 'fired', but a group of half old-guard half new blood could be a disaster. With a maximum 2 more FCS seasons, now is the time to find the new face of ASU football, one with experience and the intention of coaching in the FBS. We have outgrown the "good ol' boy" ways of old and passed those ways to Cullowhee where they belong(no offense to Spier, but the 2011 App State coaching staff is not FBS worthy). There is absolutely no shame in a 73 year old JM retiring as the winningest coach in SoCon history and a three time national champion.

Good ol boy as in our chancellor and most of the Yosef fund raising staff?

SoCon48
December 24th, 2011, 02:20 PM
Wow that post from GSU Eagle went right over your head Cline...

I have no clue as to who the Falcon coach is. I don't follow NFL ball except those teams who happen to have a former ASU player.

Plus, I have no time for humor or sarcasm on such an important topic as our house of cards fallin in.

GSU Eagle
December 24th, 2011, 02:42 PM
All kidding aside if a coaching change is to made it really should be made sooner rather than later. Shortly after the New Year comes contact can be made with recruits and you certainly want coaches in place by then.

I continually read from many App. posters that the FBS move is coming soon. I am still a little confused as to what conference exactly App. is going to.

Apphole
December 24th, 2011, 03:02 PM
All kidding aside if a coaching change is to made it really should be made sooner rather than later. Shortly after the New Year comes contact can be made with recruits and you certainly want coaches in place by then.

I continually read from many App. posters that the FBS move is coming soon. I am still a little confused as to what conference exactly App. is going to.
New conference. You might be on the train when your facilities improve

Apphole
December 24th, 2011, 03:05 PM
Good ol boy as in our chancellor and most of the Yosef fund raising staff?

No the coaching staff....You have to understand, there are things about our program that are great and others that need improvement.

SoCon48
December 24th, 2011, 03:40 PM
No the coaching staff....You have to understand, there are things about our program that are great and others that need improvement.

I knew what you meant, I was merely making an analogy.

ThompsonThe
December 24th, 2011, 11:03 PM
That GSU fan was talking about VanGorder, their former coach who left them high and dry after about a year at GaSo. He is probably the most disliked coach at GSU by a huge margin. He came in and literally drove out players at GaSo just because he didn't recruit them, was changing thier offense, he knew so much about football that he was a "know it all". He is an assistant with the NFL Atlanta Falcons since he left. To them, GaSo fans, he would be the coach that they would love to stick us with. He actually sounded pretty dispicable with some of his comments to GaSo faithful. I believe they would have run him out of town on a rail eventually if he hadn't "snuck" out of town kinda like the Colts leaving Baltimore.

ThompsonThe
December 24th, 2011, 11:32 PM
It is possible, actually would make sense. Would be obvious to most people put into a situation like that that he shouldn't have had a son on the coaching staff if could not handle even that black and white type situation.

Should have been more level headed in dealing with other assistants in the past it seems. Has long been reported that 30 minutes before the Richmond playoff game 3 years ago, HC Moore, because of urging by C Moore, changed the starting QB that other Asst. Coach wanted to start, and the one that they had agreed to, to the injured starting QB that could barely walk, and barely could throw. Starting QB had to have three operations just after that game. It was pathetic to watch him play that game. Everyone in the stadium winced just watching him walk up to the line of scrimmage. That was hard to watch. That assistant took another job right after that to get FBS experience. Was a former App player and the best assistant we ever had in many peoples opinion.

In all fairness HC Moore has deferred raises to assistants, and is a good person. Just has not been making needed changes, especially related to play calling or having an OC.

An AD has to rise above the prejudices of hi dollar boosters. I would have resigned before I would have allowed a booster or boosters to coerce me into hiring Buzz or hiring another Bluer to the HC postion without an extensive outside search.
Believe that our current bb coach is going to be a good one, and only time will tell. Do not believe that that was a bad decision at all.

If he did what the rumors are indicating, he will be a hot potato in all of high school and college athletics. No matter how good a coach he is, I wouldn't hire him with this baggage.
He is the best coach in the world, in his own mind.

SoCon48
December 25th, 2011, 04:28 PM
New conference. You might be on the train when your facilities improve

It remains to be seen if a new harmonious confernce can be formed. The NCAA would have to be lobbied hard to allow one to be formed in the first place.

ChiefGSU275
December 26th, 2011, 11:14 AM

Like!

ChiefGSU275
December 26th, 2011, 11:19 AM
As a GSU fan and complete outsider to the situation, I have to say that I feel bad for the Appy faithful. I know App has passionate fans, and you guys put a lot of faith and support into that program, and I know times like this can be tough. As others have said, it's similar to what GSU went through in the mid-2000's with the whole Sewak-Erk-BVG transitions, and it can definitely affect the program on the field when these behind closed doors activities come out. Add to that losing your recruiting coordinator and (if it happens) the Father Figure of your program in Coach Moore (who I respect a tremendous amount), it could definitely signal tough times ahead for the Mountainfolk.

The positive side is that the upper level administration there (Cobb and Peacock) have shown that they can overcome most obstacles and have really made that program relevant on a national scale, and i feel that they should be able to bounce it back to relevance.

But I hope they dont. :D

Apphole
December 26th, 2011, 11:44 AM
Strength and conditioning Coach Mike Kent to Colorado State. Here comes a complete overhaul of the ASU coaching staff.

ninerID
December 26th, 2011, 11:59 AM
http://www.footballscoop.com/the-scoop

App State: We are told to expect quarterbacks coach Brad Glenn, defensive line coach Jason Blalock and receivers coach Trey Elder to all join Mark Speir's staff at Western Carolina. More changes coming as well we hear.

Interested to see where you go from here. Do you get some guys from a league bigger than you are, or do you get guys from a league similar to you.

appsfan
December 26th, 2011, 01:04 PM
In regard to the apparent coaching changes, be careful of what you wish for as you might get it...

Rekdiver
December 27th, 2011, 09:01 AM
We've had a charmed life for a number of years, Let's see how we deal with a little adversity. Will we act like a program with some professionalism and class or one that falls apart for a decade, like WCU (actually 2 decades) or GSU? I have yet to hear any confirmation from our school officials (AD or Pres) and I can imaging that there is a bit of scrambling to fill in positions. I do know that Coach JM was visiting prospects in Burlington. We will find out who is actually left in a few days I suspect.

I do think that our administration ( including JM) is preparing for the move up and that we needed to upgrade some positions. My best guess is that Spier, Blaylock and Elder have been told it would be in their interest to entertain offers as a change in staff was coming. Anytime you need to renovate you home there is a period of discomfort. Given where our program has been when we were ( I know I'm showing my age) playing the likes of, Bluefield State and Lenoir Rhyne year in and out, ( had Press Maravich as a basketball coach with 20 wins in 4 years and RL as the AD I can accept some tough years to get to the next level. I encourage all to remain steadfast in your support of ASU and give those in charge a chance to do their job. In this age of instant news availability it is very hard to be patient. I believe that we've made more good moves than bad ones and that we will continue to do so.

Put our program in perspective. Look at the half century that South Carolina has struggled for relevance, look at the fall of Notre Dame as being relevant and Alabama and LSU's struggles before the current coaching changes and Florida and Florida State's drop and look at what has to FCS schools like Western, Youngstown State, UMASS, Richmond and Delaware and other ones that have not had the consistant success we've enjoyed.

It's much easier to be negative and for once I choose not to be so.

blueballs
December 27th, 2011, 09:25 AM
We've had a charmed life for a number of years, Let's see how we deal with a little adversity. Will we act like a program with some professionalism and class or one that falls apart for a decade, like WCU (actually 2 decades) or GSU?

The last time I checked GSU had TWO, count 'em, TWO bad seasons... 2006 & 2009. Even through GSU's worst times and App's best times- which coincided and probably had a cause/effect relationship, GSU broke App's winning streak and played 2 OT games against the Hillbillies. GSU is also the OUTRIGHT conference champ and has advanced farther than App in the playoffs the last two years.

Six is still twice as many as three and I'd rather be in GSU's football shoes right now than App's.

asumike83
December 27th, 2011, 09:47 AM
The last time I checked GSU had TWO, count 'em, TWO bad seasons... 2006 & 2009. Even through GSU's worst times and App's best times- which coincided and probably had a cause/effect relationship, GSU broke App's winning streak and played 2 OT games against the Hillbillies. GSU is also the OUTRIGHT conference champ and has advanced farther than App in the playoffs the last two years.

Six is still twice as many as three and I'd rather be in GSU's football shoes right now than App's.

As soon as I read that, I knew it would draw the ire of the GSU crowd! I agree that placing GSU in the same sentence as WCU is a bit extreme but I do hope we avoid a playoff drought similar to the 4-year stretch that GSU went through. 2006 and 2009 were the only "bad" seasons but missing out on the playoffs is always tough, especially for any extended period.

However, seeing as this is all based on unconfirmed rumors, I am still waiting to see what actually transpires before I get too worried.

boonegoon
December 27th, 2011, 09:47 AM

Dude,I may be wrong, but I think you misunderstood his post. I believe he was saying that GSU was the one that acted professionally, unlike yourself.

The Eagle's Cliff
December 27th, 2011, 10:42 AM
App fans calling for Moore to step down need to chill. 2006-2009 was not fun at all for us and it was caused (in part) by supporters being upset with 9-3 and 8-4 seasons with losses in the first round. I also remember well App's calling for Moore's head in 2004.

Seven Would Be Nice
December 27th, 2011, 11:51 AM
I also heard the rumor that Moore is out. If so, tough times might be in store for the App Fans.

I'll be the first to say that rivalries are no fun when they are one sided.

wer4asu
December 27th, 2011, 12:05 PM
Looks like you've summed it up pretty good.I wonder what your thoughts are to the question...How did the premier FCS program get to this point so quickly? Also, wonder if you've heard any tid-bits about how we're going to minimize the damage or avoid damage?

Apphole
December 27th, 2011, 12:18 PM
The sky is falling. The sky is falling. /sarcasm

Apphole
December 27th, 2011, 12:22 PM
Did anyone really think that ASU would keep the same coaching staff through this FBS transition? It's still December people and this a natural part of the process. Let's see what kind of head coach Cobb can score. Cobb has always known he was going to have to hire a HC eventually. I feel like people think this was some kind of bombshell that no one was prepared for. Jerry is 73 and he isn't coaching in the FBS. I'm sure Cobb has had a few good candidates in mind for some time. I hope it's an outsider with little or no connection to App, preferably an O or D coordinator from a BCS or top FBS program.

ncguitarplyr
December 27th, 2011, 03:12 PM
I don't think this has anything to do with FBS.

I think it has everything to do with the fact that we had a disappointing season (by our outrageous standards), the assistants know Coach Moore isn't gonna be around for much longer simply because he's old if nothing else, and Western Carolina came along at the right time and offered to pay them more money to accomplish less. If Western Carolina has the season we had this year they will promote the guy from head coach to Chancellor and they will hang up a banner. If they had it at App we'd start calling for them to be fired.

49RFootballNow
December 27th, 2011, 04:07 PM
I don't think this has anything to do with FBS.

I think it has everything to do with the fact that we had a disappointing season (by our outrageous standards), the assistants know Coach Moore isn't gonna be around for much longer simply because he's old if nothing else, and Western Carolina came along at the right time and offered to pay them more money to accomplish less. If Western Carolina has the season we had this year they will promote the guy from head coach to Chancellor and they will hang up a banner. If they had it at App we'd start calling for them to be fired.

In the grand scheme this really isn't the worst situation for a football team to be in.

ThompsonThe
December 27th, 2011, 04:32 PM
Why would anyone panic? The fans were calling for changes in the coaching staff and man are we getting it. We needed changes. Our play calling alone begged for it. Whether Cobb has to hire a new HC or not we have a lot of changes going on. Cannot all be bad, especially if we get some good consistentcy in the program. By the end of the season we should all be able to know how much we are going to win by and how. It needs to be that consistent.

This is NOT a Problem....This is an Opportunity

Rekdiver
December 27th, 2011, 08:39 PM
I didn't remember calling the gsu moron any names and I was referring to the 4 year playoff drought which is terrible by gsu standards. Hillbillies indeed. Come on man.....

gasoutherneagle
December 27th, 2011, 09:06 PM
HEY, I HEAR VANDICKNMOUTH IS ABOUT TO BE AVAILABLE... AFTER THAT SAINTS GAME!xcrazyxxcrazyxxcrazyxxcrazyxxcrazyxxcrazyx

ThompsonThe
December 27th, 2011, 09:34 PM
HEY, I HEAR VANDICKNMOUTH IS ABOUT TO BE AVAILABLE... AFTER THAT SAINTS GAME!xcrazyxxcrazyxxcrazyxxcrazyxxcrazyxxcrazyx

I guess if the only place in the world that he will not work is GaSo, he probably couldn't be too bad.

You GaSo fans sure get cocky real quick after a couple of good seasons. Too bad without Jaybo Shaw that you will just be an average team again. You think it would be a good move for us to hire Monken as our special teams coach? Think he could handle it?

gasoutherneagle
December 27th, 2011, 10:11 PM
You GaSo fans sure get cocky real quick after a couple of good seasons.

I could say the same thing 'bout you damn Mountainqueers!

ncguitarplyr
December 27th, 2011, 11:40 PM
I could say the same thing 'bout you damn Mountainqueers!

touche (and I couldn't agree more)

Our standards for this season were outrageous. By the fan reaction you would have thought we hadn't won a single game even though we made the freakin playoffs. I don't blame all the assistants for running with all the blood-thirsty fans looking to end their jobs if they don't go undefeated.

CID1990
December 28th, 2011, 12:05 AM
Hey, if you guys don't mind me running the wishbone, I'll come coach. I already have the house in Valle Crucis, so no settling in issues.

I'll bring Citdog as my a$$ (istant) coach and we'll show Moore's son how you can outdrink anyone in Boone, bang all the students you want, and not run afoul of the law or the administration.

seantaylor
December 28th, 2011, 12:15 AM
[/FONT][/SIZE]

I guess if the only place in the world that he will not work is GaSo, he probably couldn't be too bad.

You GaSo fans sure get cocky real quick after a couple of good seasons. Too bad without Jaybo Shaw that you will just be an average team again. You think it would be a good move for us to hire Monken as our special teams coach? Think he could handle it?

I'll say this so it sinks in. Jaybo Shaw would not have started for any GSU team running the option in all of our years running it. Not one.

Having said that, Jaybo was at the right place at the right time for us. But, next year, the offense will look a lot more like the GSU teams of the past.

SideLine Shooter
December 28th, 2011, 06:02 AM

Like I said before, Van Goober is inline for Bakers AD JOB at The GSU.

blueballs
December 28th, 2011, 07:52 AM
I'll say this so it sinks in. Jaybo Shaw would not have started for any GSU team running the option in all of our years running it. Not one.

Having said that, Jaybo was at the right place at the right time for us. But, next year, the offense will look a lot more like the GSU teams of the past.

He might have in the early 90's but we can agree that he wasn't on the same level as Ham, Gross, Hill, Revere, Williams, and Foster.

What everybody seems to forget about GSU is that they have made do with a mutt o-line the last two years that was patched together with young players who should have been redshirting and Hatcher's old recruits who were playing a new system and out of position. Anybody who thinks GSU is going to go backwards has a rude surpise coming. If anything they will be better because of added depth, another year older and stronger, and more stability in the system.

phoenix3
December 28th, 2011, 09:34 AM
I'm an Elon fan, (obviously), and I prefer the "air it out" style of offense. So, (except for NC envy), I am not a Georgia Southern wannabe. But, this thread really intrigues me. GSU is only in their second year of a new system with a coach that has trained with arguably the best triple option coaching staff ever. Look at what these guys did at GSU, Navy and now Georgia Tech. Many of the players on the GSU teams these past two years were recruited to play the "Hatch Attack" which was more of a passing spread offense which couldn't be more different than the triple option. With the current coaching staff, more players recruited for the TO, and two more years of experience, what makes someone think that GSU will be going backwards?

eaglewraith
December 28th, 2011, 09:59 AM

But with way more shotgun.

ngineer
December 28th, 2011, 10:45 AM
Good programs get their staffs cannibalized by other programs. Lembo had trouble keeping a consistent staff at Lehigh once we established a strong winning program from 1998-2001. We lost both coordinators and some other assistants and it certainly had some impact on the program--especially the offense, which started having issues after Cecchini left for Harvard, but also effects recruiting when there is a lot of transition occurring. It's taken Coen four years to get Lehigh "re-established", but now the same concerns reappear in keeping Cecchini, and Sawyer (with the number of All-American and PL all-star lineman produced the past few years, I suspect his name is "out there" for bigger programs). The DC is more likely to stick around as his age is such that this could be his last gig, which is good, because I like what he's done and I think he likes it at Lehigh. Other than that, a good HC can only keep a list of 'contacts' in his upper desk drawer at the ready, because losing assistants is part of the game.

ASUMountaineer
December 28th, 2011, 11:25 AM

xlolx xsmileyclapx

ASUMountaineer
December 28th, 2011, 11:27 AM
I have no clue as to who the Falcon coach is. I don't follow NFL ball except those teams who happen to have a former ASU player.

Plus, I have no time for humor or sarcasm on such an important topic as our house of cards fallin in.

Sanctimonious, I like it. Good work 611Street. xsalutex

GSU Eagle
December 28th, 2011, 08:47 PM
I would expect that if indeed Jerry Moore is retiring we will hear about it during the first week of January. If it is not announced by then I think it is safe to assume he will be the App. coach in 2012. One would assume if this next year will be his last someone will be brought it as a new coach with some sort of understanding that he will be given major consideration to replace Moore.

Smitty
December 29th, 2011, 07:31 AM
Wouldn't it put App in a bind for recruiting if they lose the HC first week in January?

asumike83
December 29th, 2011, 08:14 AM
Wouldn't it put App in a bind for recruiting if they lose the HC first week in January?

Yes, it would put us in a serious bind. We would likely lose several of our verbal commitments, see some current players transfer out and be essentially unable to recruit at all until we found a replacement and let him hire a staff. Yet another reason why I don't understand the folks clamoring for him to be gone.

T-Dog
December 29th, 2011, 08:22 AM

Depends on what the transition would be. If a new coach is named immediately, then the effect should be minimized. Right now I'm more confident than not that Jerry will coach 2012. I do see the firing on his son as the beginning of the end for him, whether that end will come in 10 days or 2-4 years is up in the air.

If Jerry steps down and we don't have a coach for any length of time before signing day, then it could become a bind.

HappyAppy
December 29th, 2011, 09:32 AM
Speaking of recruiting, how does the commitment process work for a player who enrolls early in the Spring Semester? I think Tysean Holloway committed after the early signing period, but he is planning to enroll early (before signing day). So if he does not sign a LOI, at what point does he become locked in to the school? When he registers for classes? When he takes his first class?

ASU_Fanatic
December 29th, 2011, 11:47 AM
Jerry Moore is going no where....your average poster on the MMB is an idiot.

ThompsonThe
December 29th, 2011, 11:23 PM
Jerry Moore is going no where....your average poster on the MMB is an idiot.

And you know that because you are ............

FCS_pwns_FBS
December 30th, 2011, 10:19 PM
touche (and I couldn't agree more)

Our standards for this season were outrageous. By the fan reaction you would have thought we hadn't won a single game even though we made the freakin playoffs. I don't blame all the assistants for running with all the blood-thirsty fans looking to end their jobs if they don't go undefeated.

I seriously doubt that assistant coaches are leaving because of what people say on the MMB. There are obviously things going on behind the scenes on the coaching staff, and it probably doesn't bode well for your program. It was clear in the Maine game that the folks running App's offense in the Maine game were clueless. The play-calling was absolutely horrendous and there's no way to sugar-coat that. Also, that a Payton finalist from last year lost his confidence and was benched for a very so-so QB (sorry, but that's true) is really mostly a colossal failure of coaching IYAM.

It reminds me of '04 when we lost to a New Hampshire team that we should have absolutely curb-stomped. Some App. fans acted like we had the most ridiculous fan base in America because we wanted Sewak gone, and I hope that they have some perspective now. It's a lot more complicated than "well, we made it to the playoffs, so it's smooth sailing".

blueballs
December 31st, 2011, 08:26 AM
Pwns makes some good points, as does ncguitarplayer.

IMO App starting losing its mojo when they- in a very subtle way mind you- changed their philosophy from a hard nosed running team that plays great defense to a passing team that tries to outscore folks.

There's something to be said for "getting back to your roots," just ask any GSU fan.

The true blue GSU fan in me revels a little in seeing App shoot themselves in the foot like this, but the rational fan who sees the bigger picture in me wants to see App strong (but not stronger than GSU) because having App strong and stable is good for the SoCon and FCS.... so hillbillies, coagulate your feces pronto!!!!!

Saint3333
December 31st, 2011, 01:00 PM
ASU didn't win a national title until they switched to the spread (still had a hard nose defense in 2005 and 2006). ASU's slide has been due to a decline in play calling. He never switch it up (tempo) and run the "jet" and it is too easy to figure it out from an opponent's standpoint. The talent is still there if not more so.

eaglewraith
December 31st, 2011, 03:50 PM
ASU didn't win a national title until they switched to the spread (still had a hard nose defense in 2005 and 2006). ASU's slide has been due to a decline in play calling. He never switch it up (tempo) and run the "jet" and it is too easy to figure it out from an opponent's standpoint. The talent is still there if not more so.

There was a lot more running in those championship years than in the years since though. He might have worded it wrong, but if he's thinking the way I am, then App needs to get back to being able to run the ball instead of only chucking it all over the place.

ASU Tailgaiteer
December 31st, 2011, 04:07 PM
In 2006, ASU scored 71 TD's (66 offensive), 48 of which were rushing TD's (Avg over 35 points per game)
In 2007, ASU scored 85 TD's in 15 games, (79 offensive), 53 of which were rushing TD's. (Avg. 42.7 points per game)
By 2011, the once potent offense was down to 45 TD's (42 offensive), 23 of which were rushing TD's (Avg. 28 points per game)

In 2007, approximately 67 rushing attempts were made by receivers. (These numbers may be a little off based on personnel packages at specific times)
In 2011, approximately 8 rushing attempts were made by receivers

Our staff has not developed a quality #1 Running Back and the play calling has definitely become more vanilla (tempo changes, handoffs to slot receivers, speed option, use of tight ends).

In 2007, countless scoring drives occurred in less than 2 minutes of elapsed time. Unfortunately, our offense does not currently bring fear and quick strike capability to the opposing defense.

ThompsonThe
December 31st, 2011, 06:18 PM
Exactly why we needed to shake things up. Last couple of years been getting worse instead of better. Also reason we are going for linemen and good hard nosed running backs that can also receive. Not going to take this crap of playing like we have no imagination. Some would say that 8-3 wasn't a bad season, but the players and fans would disagree. The fans could tell you what plays we were going to run before they were run. Seen some high schools with better diversity on offense. We have better talent than that.

Next year at this time, if things are not much improved, expect us to do it all over again. Doubt we will have to though.

ncguitarplyr
December 31st, 2011, 07:03 PM
"Next year at this time, if things are not much improved, expect us to do it all over again."

If you were a coach would you want to coach for a school with fans that had an attitude like that? 1 year of not going undefeated and we fire you?

Mr. C
December 31st, 2011, 08:41 PM
Exactly why we needed to shake things up. Last couple of years been getting worse instead of better. Also reason we are going for linemen and good hard nosed running backs that can also receive. Not going to take this crap of playing like we have no imagination. Some would say that 8-3 wasn't a bad season, but the players and fans would disagree. The fans could tell you what plays we were going to run before they were run. Seen some high schools with better diversity on offense. We have better talent than that.

Next year at this time, if things are not much improved, expect us to do it all over again. Doubt we will have to though.

This is precisely the numbskull stuff that was coming from a certain element of Appalachian State fans after the 2004 season, who were clamoring for Jerry Moore to be fired. Of course, everyone jumped on the bandwagon again when ASU won three consecutive championships. Certain fan groups think that nothing short of a national championship is good enough and usually they learn the hard way that firing a coach generally makes things worse, not better.

Mr. C
December 31st, 2011, 08:50 PM
I seriously doubt that assistant coaches are leaving because of what people say on the MMB. There are obviously things going on behind the scenes on the coaching staff, and it probably doesn't bode well for your program. It was clear in the Maine game that the folks running App's offense in the Maine game were clueless. The play-calling was absolutely horrendous and there's no way to sugar-coat that. Also, that a Payton finalist from last year lost his confidence and was benched for a very so-so QB (sorry, but that's true) is really mostly a colossal failure of coaching IYAM.

It reminds me of '04 when we lost to a New Hampshire team that we should have absolutely curb-stomped. Some App. fans acted like we had the most ridiculous fan base in America because we wanted Sewak gone, and I hope that they have some perspective now. It's a lot more complicated than "well, we made it to the playoffs, so it's smooth sailing".

You may think that Jamal Jackson is a "so-so" quarterback, but many people thought he would beat out DeAndre Presley BEFORE Presley's 2010 run. Considering the fact that Jackson was pressed into service midway through the season, finishing 29th in passing efficiency and averaging 200 yards per game, with a TD pass to interception rate of nearly 2-to-1 wasn't bad. He looked pretty sharp that day he helped shoot down No. 1-ranked Georgia Southern.

GlassOnion
December 31st, 2011, 09:24 PM
This is precisely the numbskull stuff that was coming from a certain element of Appalachian State fans after the 2004 season, who were clamoring for Jerry Moore to be fired. Of course, everyone jumped on the bandwagon again when ASU won three consecutive championships. Certain fan groups think that nothing short of a national championship is good enough and usually they learn the hard way that firing a coach generally makes things worse, not better.

Talking about numbskull, what kind of coaching staff doesnt bring in an OL in 2-3 years?
When ASU is starting a walkon fr OC and a 245lb OG, thats going to raise some eyebrows.
Couple that with losing 4 or 5 players in the season, now you have people questioning things.
Add an absolutely embarrassing effort in the first round of the playoffs, after another embarrassing playoff effort the year before, both at home, and things start to get prickly.
Then of course there is the obvious 3 year downward trend of offensive output: 6900 yards in 09, 5900 yards in 2010, and 4700 yards in 2011.

I'd say the people that dont question these things have more issues than those that do.

Mr. C
January 1st, 2012, 12:30 AM
Talking about numbskull, what kind of coaching staff doesnt bring in an OL in 2-3 years?
When ASU is starting a walkon fr OC and a 245lb OG, thats going to raise some eyebrows.
Couple that with losing 4 or 5 players in the season, now you have people questioning things.
Add an absolutely embarrassing effort in the first round of the playoffs, after another embarrassing playoff effort the year before, both at home, and things start to get prickly.
Then of course there is the obvious 3 year downward trend of offensive output: 6900 yards in 09, 5900 yards in 2010, and 4700 yards in 2011.

I'd say the people that dont question these things have more issues than those that do.

Anyone who complains about walk-ons having a significant role in the ASU program has ZERO understanding of the program and even less understanding of Jerry Moore's career as a coach, dating back to his days in places like Nebraska and Texas Tech. Have people forgotten players like Matt Stevens, Scott Satterfield, Kevin Richardson and so many others who have made contributions over the years? If a walk-on proves himself, he plays, period.

If you want to get down to the nitty-grity about the offensive line woes, know that a certain beloved assistant coach didn't leave much in the cupboard before he left for greener pastures. You might also like to know that the current offensive line coach is respected by those in the know (other coaches, former players who say they learned more in one year with him than three or four years with another coach, etc.). How many fans really know anything about offensive line play? Yes, ASU lost some recruits and, from what I've heard, they were players that ASU is better off having lost.

To talk about an embarrassing loss in the playoffs, as many fans have done, gives NO credit to a fine team from Maine that, last time I checked is 2-0 at KBS. How many teams have done that? How about a little respect for Jack Cosgrove and his staff doing something right instead of focusing on what ASU did wrong?

You have to laugh about people mentioning the "downward" offensive output when you consider that a couple of those years were post-Armanti Edwards. Just to refresh everyone's memory, Edwards is in the upper echelon of quarterbacks to ever play the college game.

LIke I said in an earlier post, some of Appalachian State fans have become pretty spoiled.

ThompsonThe
January 1st, 2012, 02:04 AM
"Next year at this time, if things are not much improved, expect us to do it all over again."

If you were a coach would you want to coach for a school with fans that had an attitude like that? 1 year of not going undefeated and we fire you?

You dang straight we will. And if I was a coach looking for a job that is exactly the kind of school that I would be looking for. One that doesn't accept mediocrity and a passive attitude about football. One that I know would give me support in football to achieve more than I could anywhere else.

Anyone that has an attitude of "everything is just fine" then you are NOT a true fan. Have not watched many games, or goes to them for social reasons. Anyone that thinks nothing has to be done must just be a wonderful, get along type person. Would do well in the background singing in the choir. And no, I don't expect Appalachian to win every game, I figure it would be somewhat acceptable if they lose to Georgia year after next. I used to live in Athens. As long as Georgia wins the SEC the next two years. However, I do expect us to beat Michigan again the next year.

ThompsonThe
January 1st, 2012, 03:19 AM
Anyone who complains about walk-ons having a significant role in the ASU program has ZERO understanding of the program and even less understanding of Jerry Moore's career as a coach, dating back to his days in places like Nebraska and Texas Tech. Have people forgotten players like Matt Stevens, Scott Satterfield, Kevin Richardson and so many others who have made contributions over the years? If a walk-on proves himself, he plays, period.

If you want to get down to the nitty-grity about the offensive line woes, know that a certain beloved assistant coach didn't leave much in the cupboard before he left for greener pastures. You might also like to know that the current offensive line coach is respected by those in the know (other coaches, former players who say they learned more in one year with him than three or four years with another coach, etc.). How many fans really know anything about offensive line play? Yes, ASU lost some recruits and, from what I've heard, they were players that ASU is better off having lost.
You have to laugh about people mentioning the "downward" offensive output when you consider that a couple of those years were post-Armanti Edwards. Just to refresh everyone's memory, Edwards is in the upper echelon of quarterbacks to ever play the college game.
LIke I said in an earlier post, some of Appalachian State fans have become pretty spoiled.

You know, walk-on's are fine, but also they are a failure for a program.
If a walk-on can come in and take the spot of someone who was recruited and on scholarship, then Houston, we have a problem.
Yes we have had plenty of great walk-on's, but if you are recruiting properly then the walk on's are not needed and would never even see the field.
And, of course, "if a walk-on proves himself, he plays", what would anyone do, sit him then?
No, will Not give credit to the other team, any team can be beat if you play them right. The better coached and prepared team should always win as long as the talent is anywhere close, and I know you are not saying that the other team had that much better talent.
Post Armanti, more excuses. If our coaching and preparation is right then the QB we have can have great numbers. But you have to have good coaches that know what to do and how to prepare and motivate the players. That's one of the things that made Armanti great.
"Pretty spoiled?" Heck yeah, I hope so. With the facilities we now have, averaging almost 30,000 for games, way over capacity, plans to increase Kidd Brewer Stadium and go FBS as soon as we find, or make, a good fitting FBS conference, yeah.

We do not have a problem, we have an opportunity ! We need to get the right coaches in place, whether it is assistant or HC. Recruit players that are capable of playing in the FBS, because that is where we are going soon. No excuses, No Limit.

Mr. C
January 1st, 2012, 05:47 AM
You know, walk-on's are fine, but also they are a failure for a program.
If a walk-on can come in and take the spot of someone who was recruited and on scholarship, then Houston, we have a problem.
Yes we have had plenty of great walk-on's, but if you are recruiting properly then the walk on's are not needed and would never even see the field.
And, of course, "if a walk-on proves himself, he plays", what would anyone do, sit him then?
No, will Not give credit to the other team, any team can be beat if you play them right. The better coached and prepared team should always win as long as the talent is anywhere close, and I know you are not saying that the other team had that much better talent.
Post Armanti, more excuses. If our coaching and preparation is right then the QB we have can have great numbers. But you have to have good coaches that know what to do and how to prepare and motivate the players. That's one of the things that made Armanti great.
"Pretty spoiled?" Heck yeah, I hope so. With the facilities we now have, averaging almost 30,000 for games, way over capacity, plans to increase Kidd Brewer Stadium and go FBS as soon as we find, or make, a good fitting FBS conference, yeah.

We do not have a problem, we have an opportunity ! We need to get the right coaches in place, whether it is assistant or HC. Recruit players that are capable of playing in the FBS, because that is where we are going soon. No excuses, No Limit.

Why the blue stuff? Makes it difficult to read.

First off, the life-blood of an FCS program is finding gems that the bigger schools don't uncover. Sometimes those are recruited athletes, sometimes they are walk-ons. Most public schools at the FCS level who are successful have a heritage of walk-ons. Mark Farley, the coach at Northern Iowa, was a walk-on and has had plenty of walk-ons succeed to the point of being All-Americans, like he was during his days at UNI. I think of Colt Anderson of Montana as the epitome of what that program was about. Anderson, like Matt Stevens at ASU, worked his butt off and is now a contributing NFL player after an All-American career with the Griz. To equate walk-ons to failure is just plain not knowing what you are talking about for FCS teams.

Anyone who can't give an opponent credit for beating your butt truly lacks grace and sportsmanship.

You like to spout off stupid marketing slogans, but you are exactly the type of fan that no program needs, selfish, spoiled and lacking in understanding of how FCS works.

Mr. C
January 1st, 2012, 05:49 AM
You dang straight we will. And if I was a coach looking for a job that is exactly the kind of school that I would be looking for. One that doesn't accept mediocrity and a passive attitude about football. One that I know would give me support in football to achieve more than I could anywhere else.

Anyone that has an attitude of "everything is just fine" then you are NOT a true fan. Have not watched many games, or goes to them for social reasons. Anyone that thinks nothing has to be done must just be a wonderful, get along type person. Would do well in the background singing in the choir. And no, I don't expect Appalachian to win every game, I figure it would be somewhat acceptable if they lose to Georgia year after next. I used to live in Athens. As long as Georgia wins the SEC the next two years. However, I do expect us to beat Michigan again the next year.

So I guess you are telling Charlie Cobb what needs to be done with the program?

blueballs
January 1st, 2012, 07:58 AM

Bingo... Sam "the Ax Man" Baker proved this point in spades in December 2005.

ThompsonThe
January 1st, 2012, 09:08 AM
Why the blue stuff? Makes it difficult to read.

First off, the life-blood of an FCS program is finding gems that the bigger schools don't uncover. Sometimes those are recruited athletes, sometimes they are walk-ons. Most public schools at the FCS level who are successful have a heritage of walk-ons. Mark Farley, the coach at Northern Iowa, was a walk-on and has had plenty of walk-ons succeed to the point of being All-Americans, like he was during his days at UNI. I think of Colt Anderson of Montana as the epitome of what that program was about. Anderson, like Matt Stevens at ASU, worked his butt off and is now a contributing NFL player after an All-American career with the Griz. To equate walk-ons to failure is just plain not knowing what you are talking about for FCS teams.

Anyone who can't give an opponent credit for beating your butt truly lacks grace and sportsmanship.

You like to spout off stupid marketing slogans, but you are exactly the type of fan that no program needs, selfish, spoiled and lacking in understanding of how FCS works.

"First Off" if you have good coaches that can evaluate and find talent, you do not have to hope you stumble onto one as a walk-on.
"Second Off" if you are sitting around on your rear end for a walk-on to stumble in and make you good, you have a lot of problems.
"Third Off" only losers talk about how they lost because the other team was just so fantastic. What they should be saying is that their team sucked and needs to prepare and play like it should instead of giving credit to the oppossition.
What clown college did you learn the in's and out's of FCS from because it sure wasn't my school. You have a defeatist attitude and are obviously lacking in self worth, so don't be telling anyone anything because you have no idea what you are talking about.

So I guess you are telling Charlie Cobb what needs to be done with the program?
Dang straight, and you better believe it won't be the crap you are espousing.

Bingo... Sam "the Ax Man" Baker proved this point in spades in December 2005.
Sam Baker was and is a waste of having an AD. You guys would be much better off eliminating the AD position.

cbarrier90
January 1st, 2012, 10:50 AM
To talk about an embarrassing loss in the playoffs, as many fans have done, gives NO credit to a fine team from Maine that, last time I checked is 2-0 at KBS. How many teams have done that? How about a little respect for Jack Cosgrove and his staff doing something right instead of focusing on what ASU did wrong?

Yes, Maine had a great team that ended up getting blown out the next week by a team ASU had beaten in the regular season, and if this game was an anomaly, I'd be fine with just moving on. But this is the second year in a row the season came to an end at home in a game where ASU wasn't competitive. As a fan, that concerns me. I don't expect to win, but I expect more than the effort that was given by all parties on that day. Sorry, 3 yards rushing doesn't cut it. You won't find a football fan anywhere that finds this acceptable.

To also refresh everyone's memory, Edwards was QB from 06-09, winning the national title his first two years and exiting the playoffs in his next two. Scott Satterfield, the architect of the vaunted "jet" offense that is hardly ever run anymore for ASU, left to go to Toledo in 2008. Behind every great QB is a darn good offensive coordinator that takes advantage of his talents.

You call it "spoiled," I call it "expectations of an elite program at this level." To each his own.

GlassOnion
January 1st, 2012, 11:03 AM

There is absolutely zero accountablity in your post, just deflections and excuses.

As for walkons, when great ones occasionally show up, thats great. Our QB was picking snaps off the grass for 8 straight games, and our OL looked like the French Army. The OL woes came from the lack of recruiting an OL in 2 years. And to this you say, " The last OL Coach left the cupboard bare." Really? So all accountability just flies out the door? What about JM? Where is the RB coach to insist on big guys for his guys to run behind? Where is the Offensive Coordinator to insist on a few hogs to protect his QB? As for the fall in production, you say "These are post Armanti years." Really? Well the decline started before he was gone, and even AE was frustrated with play calling. And I guess if AE is gone, all accountability on offense is put on hold? Look at those numbers again, we've lost about 1000 yards of productivity each of the last 2 years.

I think the best answer to you about the embarrassing losses is in the post above.

With your version of responsibility and accountability, I hope youre not a business man or a banker. If you lost a single employee, I may as well kiss my investment goodbye.

GlassOnion
January 1st, 2012, 11:04 AM
Yes, Maine had a great team that ended up getting blown out the next week by a team ASU had beaten in the regular season, and if this game was an anomaly, I'd be fine with just moving on. But this is the second year in a row the season came to an end at home in a game where ASU wasn't competitive. As a fan, that concerns me. I don't expect to win, but I expect more than the effort that was given by all parties on that day. Sorry, 3 yards rushing doesn't cut it. You won't find a football fan anywhere that finds this acceptable.

To also refresh everyone's memory, Edwards was QB from 06-09, winning the national title his first two years and exiting the playoffs in his next two. Scott Satterfield, the architect of the vaunted "jet" offense that is hardly ever run anymore for ASU, left to go to Toledo in 2008. Behind every great QB is a darn good offensive coordinator that takes advantage of his talents.

You call it "spoiled," I call it "expectations of an elite program at this level." To each his own.

Well said!

asumike83
January 1st, 2012, 11:29 AM
There are so many App fans that want Jerry gone and replaced with an experienced, FBS-ready staff to recruit FBS caliber players. However, no matter how badly many ASU fans do not want to admit it, we are not an FBS program. We have no realistic conference destination at this point and it could be years (if ever) before we would be allowed to create a new FBS conference. We are an FCS program and with no established timetable for that to change, there is no reason that recruits flooded with FBS offers will decide to come to Boone just because we think we might be FBS at some point.

There is also the issue of how we expect to pay for this experienced, FBS caliber staff. None of the names being thrown around would come at a price tag anywhere near what we are currently playing Coach Moore. If we had a conference offer and a definite date that we will begin to see FBS revenue then it would be a different situation completely but that is not the case. I think we all know how important the bottom line is in college sports. Creating current expenditures that you expect to fund with future revenue that will be coming in an undefined amount at an undefined time is a recipe for an ugly balance sheet.

As fans, we have a tendency to make a complex issue very simple. However, it not as easy as "Fire Jerry, insert FBS staff, win".

ThompsonThe
January 1st, 2012, 11:54 AM
Dear Mr. "C",

What does the "C" stand for? Could it be "Chris", as in Chris Moore? Let's see you list Boone, NC as your location. You have been on since November, 2003. Huh. Chances are you at least work for the university since it is by far the largest employer in Boone. Obviously very interested in sports, so good chance you work in the athletic department. Maybe football, huh.
You argue out in the extremes, as if you have a personal stake in the argument.
You want to deflect the bad loss to Maine as if Maine was the second coming of one of Knute Rockne's teams or Erk Russell's best.
You DO NOT want to put any blame on our team.
You placate what JM is doing, as if he is a god.
You talk about 2004, like it wasn't justifiable criticism back then; just because the assistant coaches did a great job the next few years, and Coach Moore, does not mean that there should not have been a lot of critics back in 2004. For heavens sake we lost to WC at the end of that year. We will not let the program just glide along with the poor management that it has now without saying quite a bit. We do not "owe" any coach anything so far as keeping them on when they should not be there, because they are not doing their job. They owe us for the job as much as anything. You don't sell a lot of tickets on what some coach did years ago.
You are not talking to someone that hates Coach Moore. There was a reporter from the WSJ that was doing an article on Coach Moore, getting it ready because he claimed App State was going to get rid of him at the end of the year, and I told him he was crazy, that we were going to win our first national championship that year in football. And this was after I watched the 2004 season.

ThompsonThe
January 1st, 2012, 12:10 PM
asumike83
Quick answer: No, it will not be years till we go FBS. Will be much faster than you think.
No one is saying it is simple, except that changes had to be made. You do not have to look eyeball to eyeball with the football players to see how disgusted they became at times this past year. That will not continue. They are playing their hearts out for App State and deserve our best support. I never ever want to think that our players were not as prepared as they could be, and given every opportunity to use their talents.

superman7515
January 1st, 2012, 12:50 PM
Dear Mr. "C",

What does the "C" stand for? Could it be "Chris", as in Chris Moore?

Coulson. Dave Coulson. http://www.collegesportingnews.com/content.php?215-Coulson-David-Coulson

Also, kinda strange to see some AppState guys turning on him considering the vast majority of the criticism directed towards him is usually along the lines of how he is perceived to be hanging on AppState's balls.

Mr. C
January 1st, 2012, 01:04 PM
Dear Mr. "C",

What does the "C" stand for? Could it be "Chris", as in Chris Moore? Let's see you list Boone, NC as your location. You have been on since November, 2003. Huh. Chances are you at least work for the university since it is by far the largest employer in Boone. Obviously very interested in sports, so good chance you work in the athletic department. Maybe football, huh.
You argue out in the extremes, as if you have a personal stake in the argument.
You want to deflect the bad loss to Maine as if Maine was the second coming of one of Knute Rockne's teams or Erk Russell's best.
You DO NOT want to put any blame on our team.
You placate what JM is doing, as if he is a god.
You talk about 2004, like it wasn't justifiable criticism back then; just because the assistant coaches did a great job the next few years, and Coach Moore, does not mean that there should not have been a lot of critics back in 2004. For heavens sake we lost to WC at the end of that year. We will not let the program just glide along with the poor management that it has now without saying quite a bit. We do not "owe" any coach anything so far as keeping them on when they should not be there, because they are not doing their job. They owe us for the job as much as anything. You don't sell a lot of tickets on what some coach did years ago.
You are not talking to someone that hates Coach Moore. There was a reporter from the WSJ that was doing an article on Coach Moore, getting it ready because he claimed App State was going to get rid of him at the end of the year, and I told him he was crazy, that we were going to win our first national championship that year in football. And this was after I watched the 2004 season.

This has to rank as one of the dumbest posts I've seen in the history of FCS. So everyone that defends anything about the program right now is "Chris Moore." Chris would get a good laugh out of that. I hope to be able to share that with him the next time I see him. The rest isn't even worth commenting on.

Apphole
January 1st, 2012, 01:05 PM
asumike83
Quick answer: No, it will not be years till we go FBS. Will be much faster than you think.
No one is saying it is simple, except that changes had to be made. You do not have to look eyeball to eyeball with the football players to see how disgusted they became at times this past year. That will not continue. They are playing their hearts out for App State and deserve our best support. I never ever want to think that our players were not as prepared as they could be, and given every opportunity to use their talents.

After reading these last two pages, I agree with you 100%. Rep points to you. I'm not in the "fire Moore" camp but I'm in the "let the 72-year-old coach gloriously retire so we can start this transition" camp. We WILL be FBS very soon and the current dynamic of this coaching staff will not suffice.

Mr. C
January 1st, 2012, 01:05 PM
There are so many App fans that want Jerry gone and replaced with an experienced, FBS-ready staff to recruit FBS caliber players. However, no matter how badly many ASU fans do not want to admit it, we are not an FBS program. We have no realistic conference destination at this point and it could be years (if ever) before we would be allowed to create a new FBS conference. We are an FCS program and with no established timetable for that to change, there is no reason that recruits flooded with FBS offers will decide to come to Boone just because we think we might be FBS at some point.

There is also the issue of how we expect to pay for this experienced, FBS caliber staff. None of the names being thrown around would come at a price tag anywhere near what we are currently playing Coach Moore. If we had a conference offer and a definite date that we will begin to see FBS revenue then it would be a different situation completely but that is not the case. I think we all know how important the bottom line is in college sports. Creating current expenditures that you expect to fund with future revenue that will be coming in an undefined amount at an undefined time is a recipe for an ugly balance sheet.

As fans, we have a tendency to make a complex issue very simple. However, it not as easy as "Fire Jerry, insert FBS staff, win".

Finally a logical assessment from an ASU fan.

GlassOnion
January 1st, 2012, 01:09 PM
Coulson. Dave Coulson. http://www.collegesportingnews.com/content.php?215-Coulson-David-Coulson

Also, kinda strange to see some AppState guys turning on him considering the vast majority of the criticism directed towards him is usually along the lines of how he is perceived to be hanging on AppState's balls.

He's all about Jerry Moore.

Apphole
January 1st, 2012, 01:19 PM
Finally a logical assessment from an ASU fan.

Being in denial about the impending FBS move isn't very logical C. Read the feasibility study. I understand the angst shared by a good group of the old guard(a group for which I have the upmost respect, but firmly believe their conceptions are holding back our program), but this move is absolutely inevitable and the process starts now. No matter what subdivision we call home over the next years, we are going to become steadily worse if changes aren't made. If Chris Moore and Bob McClain have jobs next week, we are in serious trouble. If we start filling these recently vacated positions with more ex players ect, attendance and Yosef $ will plumit. This is a crucial time for the program and I am a firm believer that if you aren't moving forward you're moving backward.

Mr. C
January 1st, 2012, 01:20 PM
There is absolutely zero accountablity in your post, just deflections and excuses.

As for walkons, when great ones occasionally show up, thats great. Our QB was picking snaps off the grass for 8 straight games, and our OL looked like the French Army. The OL woes came from the lack of recruiting an OL in 2 years. And to this you say, " The last OL Coach left the cupboard bare." Really? So all accountability just flies out the door? What about JM? Where is the RB coach to insist on big guys for his guys to run behind? Where is the Offensive Coordinator to insist on a few hogs to protect his QB? As for the fall in production, you say "These are post Armanti years." Really? Well the decline started before he was gone, and even AE was frustrated with play calling. And I guess if AE is gone, all accountability on offense is put on hold? Look at those numbers again, we've lost about 1000 yards of productivity each of the last 2 years.

I think the best answer to you about the embarrassing losses is in the post above.

With your version of responsibility and accountability, I hope youre not a business man or a banker. If you lost a single employee, I may as well kiss my investment goodbye.

I have covered Jerry Moore teams for almost 20 years, so just maybe I have more of an understanding of what goes on around the offices at KBS than the average Mountaineer fan. I knew I would get flack from some ASU fans for what I had to say, but I have never been afraid of speaking the truth. If you can't handle it, tough. Sure there is blame to be passed around for the OL situation, but the coach who most directly deals with recruiting offensive linemen is the offensive line coach. Last time I checked, also, ASU has even had an offensive coordinator since Rob Best left. I critique the Mountaineer program as much as anyone. The difference is that I actually have personal relationships with some of these guys and know a lot more about what goes into the decisions that are made than you, or most of the people posting on this subject. Like many fans, you are finding easy scapegoats, instead of looking for real answers. Did ASU underachieve this year? The answer is probably yes. But I guarantee you that no one in those coaches offices was happy, or complacent, about not winning a Southern Conference title, or advancing further in the playoffs. And you can bet that this hard-working staff is doing all it can to do better in 2012.

Apphole
January 1st, 2012, 01:27 PM

Oh wow. Mr. C, I've met you before. I was the guy on AGS in the video room. xlolx

Mr. C
January 1st, 2012, 01:36 PM

Calling Scott Satterfield, who I have tremendous respect for and have known since he started his first game as a college QB in 1993, "the architect of the vaunted jet offense" is totally disingenuous. Scott had a lot of input, but so did a lot of other people. He was never the offensive coordinator and he gets too much credit for its success. Jerry Moore, Lonnie Galloway, Sean Elliott and a lot of other people deserve credit too. Brad Glenn has gotten way too much criticism because he wasn't Scott Satterfield, but Brad is a very talented coach and he didn't make play calls in a vacuum. A lot of others have had play-calling responsibilities as well. I have never been a fan of the by-committee approach that has been used since Rob Best left.

Another point, you complain about the loss to Villanova in 2010, but you forget what a great team that was. When Matt Szczur was healthy, the Wildcats were as good as any team in FCS in a long while. Remember Villanova was the defending national champion.

Of course, three yards rushing doesn't cut it for ANY team. But the last time I checked, Brad Glenn, Bob McClain and Jerry Moore were not the ones doing the blocking and running. The players should be getting a lot more criticism than they have received for their performance.

And yes, I will continue to call it spoiled.

Mr. C
January 1st, 2012, 01:39 PM
Being in denial about the impending FBS move isn't very logical C. Read the feasibility study. I understand the angst shared by a good group of the old guard(a group for which I have the upmost respect, but firmly believe their conceptions are holding back our program), but this move is absolutely inevitable and the process starts now. No matter what subdivision we call home over the next years, we are going to become steadily worse if changes aren't made. If Chris Moore and Bob McClain have jobs next week, we are in serious trouble. If we start filling these recently vacated positions with more ex players ect, attendance and Yosef $ will plumit. This is a crucial time for the program and I am a firm believer that if you aren't moving forward you're moving backward.

For years, I have asked the ASU fans wanting to move to show me the money. Now, I ask you and the others to show me the conference you are going to play in. No one wants your school in FBS right now and no matter what the feasibility study said, history tells me that a move would be a bad decision. It isn't denial.

Mr. C
January 1st, 2012, 01:40 PM
Oh wow. Mr. C, I've met you before. I was the guy on AGS in the video room. xlolx

Well, at least someone around here knows how much film study goes into the opinions that I am expressing.

Mr. C
January 1st, 2012, 01:42 PM
He's all about Jerry Moore.

If you can't respect what Jerry Moore has done for Appalachian State, FCS and all of college football, you are totally missing the boat. At the same time, Jerry and I have had plenty of things we didn't see eye-to-eye on in the past 20 years.

cbarrier90
January 1st, 2012, 01:44 PM
Another point, you complain about the loss to Villanova in 2010, but you forget what a great team that was. When Matt Szczur was healthy, the Wildcats were as good as any team in FCS in a long while. Remember Villanova was the defending national champion.

It's nothing against Villanova, but let's not make them out to be '96 Marshall. They lost the next week on the red turf. Also, that ASU team had a Payton Award finalist at QB and three players that ended up getting drafted and another UDFA.

Point being, under no circumstances should ASU be in a position of being destroyed at home against FCS competition. When, Mr. C, do you propose someone be held accountable on the staff? With the turnover already, IMO this is the perfect opportunity to transition to a new era.

Mr. C
January 1st, 2012, 01:52 PM
It's nothing against Villanova, but let's not make them out to be '96 Marshall. They lost the next week on the red turf. Also, that ASU team had a Payton Award finalist at QB and three players that ended up getting drafted and another UDFA.

Point being, under no circumstances should ASU be in a position of being destroyed at home against FCS competition. When, Mr. C, do you propose someone be held accountable on the staff? With the turnover already, IMO this is the perfect opportunity to transition to a new era.
The Villanova team that beat ASU wasn't the same six days later after having to travel back across the country and having a bunch of injuries. The Wildcats also might have (probably would have) won that EWU game had it not been for the bogus fumble-recovery touchdown call against Angelo Babbaro on the kickoff return in the fourth quarter. Let's be honest, the Eagles had three breaks on booth reviews in each of their last three wins. Remember that Villanova had traveled to Stephen F. Austin, to ASU and to EWU in three weeks. Those guys were dead by the semifinals and Matt Szczur missed a bunch of that game with an injury.

When the time comes for Jerry Moore to decide he is stepping down, then it is time to make a change. He has earned the right to retire on his own terms. And when he decides to call it a career, there will be a lot of great coaches with ASU ties, like Arkansas assistant Tim Horton and Carolina Panthers assistant John Settles waiting in the wings.

Apphole
January 1st, 2012, 02:00 PM
For years, I have asked the ASU fans wanting to move to show me the money. Now, I ask you and the others to show me the conference you are going to play in. No one wants your school in FBS right now and no matter what the feasibility study said, history tells me that a move would be a bad decision. It isn't denial.

Officially beyond speculation. I've heard a little more behind the scenes.

http://www.appfan.com/2011/12/21/shadow-group-looking-to-create-new-fbs-league/

Apphole
January 1st, 2012, 02:04 PM

Exactly.

GlassOnion
January 1st, 2012, 02:11 PM
I have covered Jerry Moore teams for almost 20 years, so just maybe I have more of an understanding of what goes on around the offices at KBS than the average Mountaineer fan. I knew I would get flack from some ASU fans for what I had to say, but I have never been afraid of speaking the truth. If you can't handle it, tough. Sure there is blame to be passed around for the OL situation, but the coach who most directly deals with recruiting offensive linemen is the offensive line coach. Last time I checked, also, ASU has even had an offensive coordinator since Rob Best left. I critique the Mountaineer program as much as anyone. The difference is that I actually have personal relationships with some of these guys and know a lot more about what goes into the decisions that are made than you, or most of the people posting on this subject. Like many fans, you are finding easy scapegoats, instead of looking for real answers. Did ASU underachieve this year? The answer is probably yes. But I guarantee you that no one in those coaches offices was happy, or complacent, about not winning a Southern Conference title, or advancing further in the playoffs. And you can bet that this hard-working staff is doing all it can to do better in 2012.

I dont care how many years youve covered the staff, all that tells me is that youre most likely biased and having issues being objective. JM will be gone soon, and you shouldnt have that problem anymore.

And it isnt scapegoating when you evaluate based on results. Everything stops at JM, thats what he gets payed for. Whether there is an OL Coach or isnt, JM is responsible for zero recruits in 2 years. Thats deserving of a little criticism.

Yes, we all know there isnt an OC. Thats another point of contention to most. Up the middle, around the edge, pass, punt. We all know the play calls by heart, and so did Chatty, Wofford, Nova and Maine. We had problems running the ball against the 119th ranked Catamount defense for heavens sake.

GlassOnion
January 1st, 2012, 02:20 PM
When the time comes for Jerry Moore to decide he is stepping down, then it is time to make a change. He has earned the right to retire on his own terms. And when he decides to call it a career, there will be a lot of great coaches with ASU ties, like Arkansas assistant Tim Horton and Carolina Panthers assistant John Settles waiting in the wings.

WRONG.

Jerry Moore has been a great thing for ASU, but no coach, not one, should ever be held higher than the program. CC 's responsiblity is to the program, not to JM. There are 150,000 people that this program belongs to, not one.

asumike83
January 1st, 2012, 05:07 PM
It is entirely possible that the FBS move happens quicker than I anticipate but the fact remains, it is an uncertainty. I just do not think that Cobb or Dr. Peacock could spend the money necessary to hire a staff that can take us to the FBS without a date set in stone for the revenue stream to begin that justifies the expense.

Changes do need to be made and I think the focus needs to be on surrounding Jerry with high quality assistants so that we can be the best FCS program we can be. Coach Moore has stated pretty clearly that he does not want to coach a transitioning program but until we know otherwise, we are working on an FCS budget. Plus, if JM is forced out we will lose recruits, see some kids transfer and things will likely get worse before they get better. It seems very risky to negatively impact our immediate future for the sake of an uncertain FBS future.

Mr. C
January 1st, 2012, 05:43 PM
WRONG.

Jerry Moore has been a great thing for ASU, but no coach, not one, should ever be held higher than the program. CC 's responsiblity is to the program, not to JM. There are 150,000 people that this program belongs to, not one.

No one said that there were not other vested in the program. Also, my opinion on Jerry is just that, an opinion. It is just as right as the opinion anyone else has. To say it is just wrong is wrong on your part. I can express any opinion just like anyone else on here can.

Mr. C
January 1st, 2012, 05:48 PM
I dont care how many years youve covered the staff, all that tells me is that youre most likely biased and having issues being objective. JM will be gone soon, and you shouldnt have that problem anymore.

And it isnt scapegoating when you evaluate based on results. Everything stops at JM, thats what he gets payed for. Whether there is an OL Coach or isnt, JM is responsible for zero recruits in 2 years. Thats deserving of a little criticism.

Yes, we all know there isnt an OC. Thats another point of contention to most. Up the middle, around the edge, pass, punt. We all know the play calls by heart, and so did Chatty, Wofford, Nova and Maine. We had problems running the ball against the 119th ranked Catamount defense for heavens sake.

No problem with objectivity at all. I could say that you have the same objectivity problem because you are a fan of the program. I am not a fan, I've just covered this program for many years.

If you know there isn't an offensive coordinator, why did you say the offensive coordinator (by this I guess you were singling out Brad Glenn) shared in the responsibility?

As far as Villanova, Maine and the other schools, you might be surprised what those coaching staffs think about Jerry Moore and his program.

Mr. C
January 1st, 2012, 05:52 PM
Officially beyond speculation. I've heard a little more behind the scenes.

http://www.appfan.com/2011/12/21/shadow-group-looking-to-create-new-fbs-league/

The problem with that is that the powers that be at FBS (and more specifically with the BCS) will NEVER approve another FBS league with the current landscape. Tom Yeager asked the No. 2 man at the NCAA whether an entire league (hypothetically, the CAA) could move in mass to the FBS at last year's FCS summit in Frisco and was told flat out, NO. The schools at the FBS, according to the by-laws as they are currently written, would have to approve a new league and there is no reason for them to do so, because it would not be to their advantage.

Apphole
January 1st, 2012, 06:47 PM
The problem with that is that the powers that be at FBS (and more specifically with the BCS) will NEVER approve another FBS league with the current landscape. Tom Yeager asked the No. 2 man at the NCAA whether an entire league (hypothetically, the CAA) could move in mass to the FBS at last year's FCS summit in Frisco and was told flat out, NO. The schools at the FBS, according to the by-laws as they are currently written, would have to approve a new league and there is no reason for them to do so, because it would not be to their advantage.

With enough schools behind the idea (ie the ones interested in being a part of this new conference, App JMU WandM ect) it's not far fetched to expect new legislation. It falls well within anti-trust law territory.

T-Dog
January 1st, 2012, 07:17 PM
Well, at least someone around here knows how much film study goes into the opinions that I am expressing.

Good for you. Have a cookie. Saying "My opinion means more because I study a lot of film" is quite childish, in my opinion of course. :D

This whole thread needs to be taken out back and shot. Again, my opinion. xpeacex

Saint3333
January 1st, 2012, 07:26 PM
David, do you have any insight to what is going on in Boone these days?

Mr. C
January 1st, 2012, 08:00 PM
Good for you. Have a cookie. Saying "My opinion means more because I study a lot of film" is quite childish, in my opinion of course. :D

This whole thread needs to be taken out back and shot. Again, my opinion. xpeacex

As a matter of fact, I just had three of them. Nestle Tollhouse cookies. Is eating cookies childish, too?

Mr. C
January 1st, 2012, 08:08 PM
David, do you have any insight to what is going on in Boone these days?

A lot of this stuff seems to have happened since I was in Boone earlier in December. The last time I was up there, virtually everyone other than the film crew and Jay Sutton were on the road recruiting. I have a few sources who have enlightened me on a few subjects. For example, like a lot of other people, I knew a few days beforehand that Mark Speir was leaving for WCU (hate to see him go, because he was one of my favorite guys on the staff, but am excited for him professionally) and would take some staff members with him. Some of the other stuff, I can exchange by PM.

Mr. C
January 1st, 2012, 08:17 PM
With enough schools behind the idea (ie the ones interested in being a part of this new conference, App JMU WandM ect) it's not far fetched to expect new legislation. It falls well within anti-trust law territory.

I don't know if that rises to the level of Anti-Trust, or not (I decided not to pursue my law degree years ago). I would be interested in hearing what our resident attorneys (Dane Fan or Green26, are you reading this thread?). If anti-turst were easy to prove, you would have a lot more of these type of suits. Remember that the NCAA is a voluntary organization, with rules established by the membership. It is not the same as the BCS, which is a non-NCAA organization and is a lot more open for anti-trust action.

GlassOnion
January 1st, 2012, 08:34 PM
No one said that there were not other vested in the program. Also, my opinion on Jerry is just that, an opinion. It is just as right as the opinion anyone else has. To say it is just wrong is wrong on your part. I can express any opinion just like anyone else on here can.

I guess this is just the equivalent of you coming out and calling a bunch of App fans spoiled for having their opinions. You want respect that youre unwilling to give.

One Hand In the Dirt
January 1st, 2012, 08:35 PM
Good ole Glass Onion. Last two years huh? The true impact and quality of a recruiting class can not determined in two years! With freshman and sophomores? Get real! This year's OL woes are a direct reflection of the recruiting classes three to four years ago. I cannot wait to watch the past two years OL recruits make you eat your words once the new OL coach gets on board.

GlassOnion
January 1st, 2012, 08:41 PM
No problem with objectivity at all. I could say that you have the same objectivity problem because you are a fan of the program. I am not a fan, I've just covered this program for many years.

If you know there isn't an offensive coordinator, why did you say the offensive coordinator (by this I guess you were singling out Brad Glenn) shared in the responsibility?

As far as Villanova, Maine and the other schools, you might be surprised what those coaching staffs think about Jerry Moore and his program.

The OC comment was a dig at JM for not having an OC. You know, where is he? Oh he doesnt exist... You yourself dont like not having a designated play caller, something that has made the rounds on 3 App boards for the past 3 or 4 years. As for the Nova team, they had players telling the media after the game that they knew exactly what was coming from App, and its exactly what they got.

JM is a great man, great coach. Things come and go, and his time is drawing to a close. Its up to CC now to bridge that gap in a way that reflects well on all involved, and I trust he will do his job well.

GlassOnion
January 1st, 2012, 08:47 PM
Good ole Glass Onion. Last two years huh? The true impact and quality of a recruiting class can not determined in two years! With freshman and sophomores? Get real! This year's OL woes are a direct reflection of the recruiting classes three to four years ago. I cannot wait to watch the past two years OL recruits make you eat your words once the new OL coach gets on board.

The two years ASU didnt bring in OL is now 3-4 years ago. In 07 App brought in 2 OL. In '08 and '09, they signed 2 that never made it out of camp. That is why we had no SRs or JRs to play this year.

No one including me knocks the last 2 classes brought in, although 2 of our more promising prospects were lost this season.

Saint3333
January 1st, 2012, 09:27 PM
A lot of this stuff seems to have happened since I was in Boone earlier in December. The last time I was up there, virtually everyone other than the film crew and Jay Sutton were on the road recruiting. I have a few sources who have enlightened me on a few subjects. For example, like a lot of other people, I knew a few days beforehand that Mark Speir was leaving for WCU (hate to see him go, because he was one of my favorite guys on the staff, but am excited for him professionally) and would take some staff members with him. Some of the other stuff, I can exchange by PM.

Your PM box is full and I can't reply to your message.

One Hand In the Dirt
January 1st, 2012, 09:38 PM
One of the two is coming back and will pay his own way for a while. The second had a really bad attitude and ASU is much better off without him. No lineman is more important than the four other brothers playing beside him!

Mr. C
January 1st, 2012, 09:48 PM
Your PM box is full and I can't reply to your message.

try again

bench
January 2nd, 2012, 01:38 AM
[Satterfield] was never the offensive coordinator and he gets too much credit for its success.

And why was Scott never named the offensive coordinator? Care to tell us why that was? Isn't it the norm for teams to have a member of their staff with that designation? Can you think of any other team without an official OC? Isn't this highly unusual? What motive could a head coach possibly have for being, as they say colloquially in these parts, a quare duck?

I believe a solid group of assistants, Scott among them, saved Jerry's *** when folks were calling for it the last time. Though most of them aren't around any longer, they gave the program's figurehead the success you say has earned him the right to step down - or not - on his own terms. I don't think it's possible for them to receive "too much credit," and Scott in particular. I've watched Appalachian run the spread like the goddamn power-I for two years now. From watching the progression of this offense since he left, it's like disassembling a racecar and using the parts to build a ****ing dump truck.

Call it an experiment in causality at its simplest - I'll draw you a line from point A to point B, roughly from 2004 to 2011, and you can tell me what happened at each hash along that span. With your close relationship with the program and the staff, you should be able to tell me, here, here and here, just who was intimately involved with ****ing the horse at that particular time, and who was simply holding its tail.

Mr. C
January 2nd, 2012, 02:40 AM
There are several general styles of how head coaches put their staffs together. There are some head coaches who call plays themselves (Mickey Matthews of JMU and Rob Ambrose of Towson immediately come to mind, though Matthews has only recently took over play-calling duties from his OC). There are those who have a true offensive coordinators that they let handle pretty much everything (Vilanova's Andy Talley comes to mind as he lets Sam Venuto calls the shots). A new format seems to be emerging of having run-game coordinators and pass-game coordinators, who work together. And then there are some schools who don't have an offensive coordinator. In some cases, there have been coaches like Billy Joe at Florida A&M, who coached from the press box and called plays. Others do things by committee. ASU is not alone in taking this approach. Probably the main reason Jerry Moors hasn't named an OC since Rob Best was at ASU is that he initially didn't have anyone who was experienced enough to carry that weight (anyone remember the way the coaching staff struggled with getting plays in on time and all of the delay of game penalties and time outs that were burned in 2003?). Later, I think Jerry might have been afraid of what it might do to staff morale and egos if he named an OC. When ASU won three straight titles, it pretty much meant that Jerry would continue on with the way things were being done.

Everyone could see that there were problems with the OL this season, with being able to run inside and with the confidence level of the starting QB (I'm not sure anyone fully understands what happened to DeAndre Presley in that regard). But one thing no one is talking about is how that defenses are finally catching up to the spread and finding ways to slow down the zone read play/read option which was so effective in the mid-2000s. There were also changes made to protect the health of Armanti Edwards after he got so banged up during the 2008 campaign.

One guy who I think is missed a lot more than people realize is Lonnie Galloway, who probably deserves as much credit as anyone for the monster that the spread became. Scott Satterfield grew into his role nicely, as well, but needed to leave to become the best, most well-rounded coach he could be.

Maybe someday we can meet over a meal somewhere and discuss the time line thing.

On the subject of Jerry Moore being a figurehead, that couldn't be further from the truth. Most of the kids on the roster, past and present, will tell you they came to play for "Coach" and those of us who have been around for awhile would tell you that Jerry is more involved today and was from 2005 forward than he had been for years before that. He gets more involved with coaching now than he ever did back in the 1990s (though I miss the days of him coaching special teams directly, eating popcorn and making special teams tapes while we used to have our weekly Thursday afternoon interview sessions). That isn't the same with a lot of other programs (Joe Paterno at Penn State comes to mind foremost), where the head coach is the CEO of the program and does little actual coaching.

blueballs
January 2nd, 2012, 07:37 AM
Serious question here... did it ever occur to any of the App folks that the players you have now simply aren't as good as the ones you had during the three-peat???

I mean, I don't see the likes of Kerry Brown, Kevin Richardson, Dexter Jackson, Corey Lynch, Jason Hunter, Armanti Edwards, et al playing for the appies now. Quick is the only guy who comes to mind from the 2011 team that is that level IMO.

Perhaps the coaching/play calling/locker room stuff isn't as big a problem as a drop off in talent?????????

Saint3333
January 2nd, 2012, 07:44 AM
Serious question here... did it ever occur to any of the App folks that the players you have now simply aren't as good as the ones you had during the three-peat???

I mean, I don't see the likes of Kerry Brown, Kevin Richardson, Dexter Jackson, Corey Lynch, Jason Hunter, Armanti Edwards, et al playing for the appies now. Quick is the only guy who comes to mind from the 2011 team that is that level IMO.

Perhaps the coaching/play calling/locker room stuff isn't as big a problem as a drop off in talent?????????

There has been no drop off in talent, perhaps experienced talent on the OL in 2011, but that's it. Youth was a bigger problem this year than talent. That stems from recruiting only 1 OL in the 2008 and 2009 classes.

GlassOnion
January 2nd, 2012, 08:28 AM

ASU is as talented as they've ever been. We just started 2 true FR DEs in our 3-4 defense that shut Georgia Southern down. Kimbrough is every bit as good a LB as we've had, Justin Wray at LB was out this year, and he lead the team in tackles the year before. We lost our honorable mention AA defensive end turned OLB halfway through the season. We didnt have the big name Safety this season, but last years class had some very exciting DBs in it, and after losing Gainey, our 2 CBs progressed nicely considering they got thrown into the fire, and 1 was still new to the position. We've got 3 QBs that could start in 90% of all FCS schools, and next year we'll have 3 to 4 RBs that could be our go to guy. We just graduated a great TE and a great WR, but there are more waiting in the wings.

The only thing we havent had is a solid OL. We threw a bunch of unprepared Sophs and Fresh. out there this year because we had no reasonable JR or SR players left. As soon as these Fr and So OL get some experience, and we get some depth behind them we'll be alright. That is if the coaching stuff gets handled well, and somebody burns the three play "playbook," or "play post-it-note" rather.

GlassOnion
January 2nd, 2012, 08:31 AM
One of the two is coming back and will pay his own way for a while. The second had a really bad attitude and ASU is much better off without him. No lineman is more important than the four other brothers playing beside him!

Neither of their attitudes smelled of roses. If the one gets a second chance, its exactly that, a second chance.

Go Apps
January 2nd, 2012, 09:54 AM
From inside the ASU stomping grounds - the coaches are leaving due to Moore being very hard headed and not making the necessary changes - ths assistants are taking pay cuts to go to WCU - that is how bad things have gotten. ASU has lost their top scout/recruiter for the team - Moore is down to 1 or 2 years and he is out. Things could get very ugly for the program and ASU will suffer tremendously if we start losing - the Alumi support will tumble - not a good situation at perhaps the best coaching job in FCS...sad

asumike83
January 2nd, 2012, 10:13 AM

Armanti was a special talent so it is hard to argue that the overall talent on offense has not dropped off since he left, but there are still some great athletes coming through. D.J. Smith, Mark LeGree, Quick, Daniel Kilgore, Orry Frye, Jeremy Kimbrough are names that first come to mind, and I still have very high hopes for Jamal Jackson.

Our players do not seem to be as well-coached as they were during the championship years but to your point, I agree that the players do not seem to be held accountable at all by the fans. All of their mistakes seem to be attributed to coaching but that is just not the case. Being a smart football player is something that these kids have to do on their own to a certain extent.

Saint3333
January 2nd, 2012, 11:45 AM
From inside the ASU stomping grounds - the coaches are leaving due to Moore being very hard headed and not making the necessary changes - ths assistants are taking pay cuts to go to WCU - that is how bad things have gotten. ASU has lost their top scout/recruiter for the team - Moore is down to 1 or 2 years and he is out. Things could get very ugly for the program and ASU will suffer tremendously if we start losing - the Alumi support will tumble - not a good situation at perhaps the best coaching job in FCS...sad

Really - that's funny as one of the assistants offered a job at WCU turned it down to remain at ASU. This is straight from the man's father-in-law on the MMB.

Speir was a good one and ASU has a minimum of three assistants to replace, but two of them many of the ASU fans wanting to see gone. I view this as a huge opportunity to get quality assistants in and coach up the talent that ASU has and is getting in this recruiting class. A three star RB committed today and will start school this semester. Sky isn't falling.

ncguitarplyr
January 2nd, 2012, 01:23 PM
Sky isn't falling because we lost a couple of assistants and it wasn't falling because we lost 3 games this year. People need to get some perspective and stop being so short-sighted

HighCountry
January 2nd, 2012, 02:01 PM
If the sky is falling, it's about to rise back up. Expect good news from the ASU camp in the coming days...

TEASER:
http://image.cdnllnwnl.xosnetwork.com/pics/200/AU/AUHMPWYEQQRBKFP.20080903185204.jpg

T-Dog
January 2nd, 2012, 02:09 PM
Now don't tease us like that and just walk away.

Apphole
January 2nd, 2012, 02:30 PM
He speaks the truth. The prodigal son has returned. Satterfield App State offensive coordinator 2012. Richie Williams as well. On the fat trimming side, Glenn and Lil Moe are gone and McClain will be very soon. Things are looking up.

T-Dog
January 2nd, 2012, 02:35 PM
I'll believe it when I see it. Sounds too good to be true.

CharlotteApp
January 2nd, 2012, 03:00 PM
I hope you are right, but it sounds to good to be true. Is this just hear say or do you have it confirmed?

asumike83
January 2nd, 2012, 03:01 PM
Will believe it when I see it but that would be excellent!

ASU_Fanatic
January 2nd, 2012, 03:15 PM
So Satterrfield would be returning as like an OC/coach in waiting?

One Hand In the Dirt
January 2nd, 2012, 03:56 PM
Spot on. I believe Kendall may have learned a thing or two, seen the error of his ways, and deserves a second chance. The other one needs to find another home. Happy New Year!

eaglewraith
January 2nd, 2012, 04:26 PM
He speaks the truth. The prodigal son has returned. Satterfield App State offensive coordinator 2012.

No way...would have to be a deal to take over as HC. Leaving his job as OC at an FBS school to take the same position at App?

SpeedkingATL
January 2nd, 2012, 04:44 PM
Believe it when I see it.

ASU3481
January 2nd, 2012, 08:35 PM
I hope this is true! but like others i'll believe it when I see it.

ThompsonThe
January 3rd, 2012, 08:36 AM
When we get the official word?

Wouldn't today be the best day since Recruiting starts again tomorrow?

asknoquarter21
January 3rd, 2012, 10:14 AM
When I first heard this a couple days ago I was very doubtful that would be the case, but I heard it again from a very trusted source.

Then I get on here and see it here too. Makes me wonder if this is a bad rumor that some insiders have bought into, but if it in fact came from the person I was told it came from then it is hard not to believe it.

I am disappointed in many of our fans for some of the statements made in this thread. We have three men at the top of our program that are VERY good at what they do. You can judge them all you want, but Peacock and Cobb have a good idea about what direction this program is headed in (the facilities being a huge indication). JM may not want to coach through a transition, but there is no doubt in my mind ASU is a better football team with him as our HC.

I was the first to point out our poor playcalling in many games this year, but it was very limited up front and that caused a lot of problems. The biggest disappointment I had was our ability to adjust throughout games and even on individual plays.

We have been a good team the last few years without great playcalling. I really like what Dale Jones is doing and I think JM knows he has an opportunity to fix the offense this offseason.

Count me as not worried.

HappyAppy
January 3rd, 2012, 12:06 PM
http://www.bgdailynews.com/sports/wku-running-back-morgan-to-transfer/article_d7dfa0f0-362a-11e1-82d1-001871e3ce6c.html

Pretty solid pickup for a coaching staff in such turmoil. xlolx

SpeedkingATL
January 3rd, 2012, 12:11 PM
http://www.bgdailynews.com/sports/wku-running-back-morgan-to-transfer/article_d7dfa0f0-362a-11e1-82d1-001871e3ce6c.html

Pretty solid pickup for a coaching staff in such turmoil. xlolx

Certainly helps to address one of the thin areas on next years team. He will be enrolled this month and ready for spring practice with 4 years of eligibility remaining.

asumike83
January 3rd, 2012, 01:00 PM
Certainly helps to address one of the thin areas on next years team. He will be enrolled this month and ready for spring practice with 4 years of eligibility remaining.

Yes, and he is in good academic standing with no off-field issues. Apparently he left WKU because of the pro-style offense. He is more comfortable in the spread and did not want to sit out another year with an FBS transfer after he redshirted 2011.

asknoquarter21
January 3rd, 2012, 01:06 PM
I'm very excited about this kid

I wouldn't be surprised to see Holloway redshirt now, but I like the idea of them both in the backfield.

Miller, Morgan and Chisholm should be a good backfield next year

asumike83
January 3rd, 2012, 01:11 PM
My only concern is that it could impact Holloway's decision to sign. However, with Chisholm and Miller gone after 2012 there would still be plenty of carries to go around for the rest of his ASU career. A redshirt year would probably be ideal.

asknoquarter21
January 3rd, 2012, 01:30 PM
My only concern is that it could impact Holloway's decision to sign. However, with Chisholm and Miller gone after 2012 there would still be plenty of carries to go around for the rest of his ASU career. A redshirt year would probably be ideal.

I think with a certain coach calling plays Holloway and Morgan could have fantastic careers

HappyAppy
January 3rd, 2012, 02:01 PM
Holloway has said that he is graduating early and enrolling in the Spring. If that is the case, wouldn't he already be "signed" since he is supposed to be starting school in 2 weeks?

asumike83
January 3rd, 2012, 02:02 PM
If you are a Rivals member, check out the link below:
http://appalachianstate.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1314142

It sheds a bit of light on the coaching situation. Not sure if I should go into specifics as it would violate the Rivals TOS.

ASUMountaineer
January 3rd, 2012, 03:21 PM
try again

Hey Mr. C, I sent you a brief message, check it out when you get a chance.

ASUMountaineer
January 3rd, 2012, 03:21 PM
If you are a Rivals member, check out the link below:
http://appalachianstate.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1314142

It sheds a bit of light on the coaching situation. Not sure if I should go into specifics as it would violate the Rivals TOS.

I like the small snippet I get as a non-member. That's good enough news for me.

Maxapp
January 3rd, 2012, 04:23 PM
Satterfield spoke with Steve Behr of the Watauga Democrat on Tuesday afternoon, the story will be in the Wednesday edition of the Democrat.

T-Dog
January 3rd, 2012, 04:36 PM
Done deal.

ASUMountaineer
January 3rd, 2012, 06:51 PM
Done deal.

I have no reason to doubt what you say, but I'm a cynic. :) If the story in the paper tomorrow confirms this, we'll need bigger tires for the bandwaggon!

Travelinneer
January 3rd, 2012, 07:26 PM
Done deal.

Please, please, please, please........

Mikeyosef
January 4th, 2012, 07:06 AM
Question for App fans regarding Scott Satterfield: I looked on the FIU message board to see if they were talking about SS leaving for App and the few comments directly related to SS leaving were along the lines of "good, glad to see him go." I read a few more threads and it looked like many posters think SS is the weak link at FIU. Not being a follower of FIU I haven't seen much of their play or hear anything about the coaching staff....except for Cristobal being mentioned as possible head coach for Pitt. Question is, are their fans as whiney as ours or is Satterfield really not performing? If he's not performing how does that play into our fan base interest in him. I certainly have been a fan and have given him lots of credit for our electric play when he was here. I also have believed his star was on the rise...but the posts on FIU's board were a surprise.

HappyAppy
January 4th, 2012, 07:42 AM
I obviously don't follow FIU either, but just looking at NCAA stats, they were ranked100th or worse in total yards the three years before he got there, and they had three losing seasons. His two years at the school they were 42nd and 69th and they made two bowl games. Obviously there is more to it then those stats, but the offense (and team) got a lot better when he got there.

Saint3333
January 4th, 2012, 08:15 AM
Watch their games and look at their QB's lack of execution. Playcalling was fine in their bowl game this year, the players just didn't make the plays.

ASUMountaineer
January 4th, 2012, 08:20 AM
Question for App fans regarding Scott Satterfield: I looked on the FIU message board to see if they were talking about SS leaving for App and the few comments directly related to SS leaving were along the lines of "good, glad to see him go." I read a few more threads and it looked like many posters think SS is the weak link at FIU. Not being a follower of FIU I haven't seen much of their play or hear anything about the coaching staff....except for Cristobal being mentioned as possible head coach for Pitt. Question is, are their fans as whiney as ours or is Satterfield really not performing? If he's not performing how does that play into our fan base interest in him. I certainly have been a fan and have given him lots of credit for our electric play when he was here. I also have believed his star was on the rise...but the posts on FIU's board were a surprise.

Yes.

boonegoon
January 4th, 2012, 08:36 AM
Not really much said here.
http://www2.wataugademocrat.com/ASU_Sports/story/Report-Moore-to-stay-put-Satterfield-wants-to-return-id-006685

asumike83
January 4th, 2012, 08:47 AM
Not really much said here.
http://www2.wataugademocrat.com/ASU_Sports/story/Report-Moore-to-stay-put-Satterfield-wants-to-return-id-006685

Wow, that is a really poorly written article. Scott did mention that he wants to come back though, which is great news. I think it is just a matter of time before a contract/title is worked out.

furbaloffear
January 4th, 2012, 09:27 AM
goasu.com has confirmed it. SS has been hired as the OC, Assistant Head Coach, and Quarterbacks coach.

http://www.goasu.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=21500&ATCLID=205355928

Apphole
January 4th, 2012, 09:35 AM
Official

http://www.goasu.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=21500&ATCLID=205355928

asknoquarter21
January 4th, 2012, 09:35 AM
“The reason I left was so I could come back,” Satterfield said. “That was the point of me leaving, to go and learn as much as I can. I've done that and have had some success on my own."

This is exactly what I thought when he left. I expected we would see him back, but he needed some experience elsewhere first. I don't want to get too excited yet, but this is certainly a good thing for us long term. A coach that WANTS to be here just like Jerry Moore.

Apphole
January 4th, 2012, 09:36 AM
Ah! Beat me to it. Sorry!

SideLine Shooter
January 4th, 2012, 10:04 AM
Watch their games and look at their QB's lack of execution. Playcalling was fine in their bowl game this year, the players just didn't make the plays.

That is what I said. Talent level was pretty poor.

Appsolutely
January 4th, 2012, 10:16 AM
No way...would have to be a deal to take over as HC. Leaving his job as OC at an FBS school to take the same position at App?

You were saying?

theasushow
January 4th, 2012, 10:23 AM
He's the next HC.

asknoquarter21
January 4th, 2012, 10:29 AM
He's the next HC.

I agree

I think at the very least he will be given every opportunity. Him wanting to be here helps with that a ton.

asumike83
January 4th, 2012, 10:39 AM
I agree

I think at the very least he will be given every opportunity. Him wanting to be here helps with that a ton.

Very glad that he is back on as assistant without the official "Head Coach in Waiting" title. He will obviously be given every opportunity to succeed Jerry but he will have to earn it with his work over the next few years. A great hire for us and a great opportunity for Scott. Things really could not have worked out much better.

boonegoon
January 4th, 2012, 11:44 AM
Let's just hope he doesn't "Buzz" us.

eaglewraith
January 4th, 2012, 11:52 AM
You were saying?

That I was right?

Him being put at assistant Head Coach kind of clarifies that.

cbarrier90
January 4th, 2012, 11:58 AM
GSU's running the TO, and ASU's back to running the "jet." All is right with the world...

Waco Kid
January 4th, 2012, 12:19 PM
GSU's running the TO, and ASU's back to running the "jet." All is right with the world...

Let's remember that we still need to hire 5 more coaches and find some OL before we can produce to the level of our 05-07 teams. It's a better situation than what we had, but we aren't all the way back just yet.

boonedocks
January 4th, 2012, 12:56 PM

We never ran the "jet" tempo offense exclusively when Satterfield was here. It was one of 3 tempos the plays could be run at depending on the defense.

When SS was calling plays they still lined up, surveyed the D, then ran or changed it regularly.

I see people harp on the faster pace i.e. Oregon, but our offense was never like that all the time, and I think some people will be dissapointed if that is what they expect. I hope to see more jet than we have the past few years, but I doubt it will be exclusive.

Of course, then again maybe it will. Nobody knows but Coach Satt.

asumike83
January 4th, 2012, 01:06 PM
We never ran the "jet" tempo offense exclusively when Satterfield was here. It was one of 3 tempos the plays could be run at depending on the defense.

When SS was calling plays they still lined up, surveyed the D, then ran or changed it regularly.

I see people harp on the faster pace i.e. Oregon, but our offense was never like that all the time, and I think some people will be dissapointed if that is what they expect. I hope to see more jet than we have the past few years, but I doubt it will be exclusive.

Of course, then again maybe it will. Nobody knows but Coach Satt.

Absolutely, but the change of pace was such a huge part of that offense. It was not 'jet' all the time like Oregon runs but when we got in a rhythm and the D was wearing down, turning up the pace resulted in a lot of quick scoring drives. Very excited to see what our offense looks like next season.

My biggest concern is that many ASU fans' expectations went from unreasonably low to unreasonably high in the matter of a few hours. Those same fans who were predicting that we'd go 3-8 in 2012 are probably expecting a championship now!

ASUMountaineer
January 4th, 2012, 01:19 PM
Absolutely, but the change of pace was such a huge part of that offense. It was not 'jet' all the time like Oregon runs but when we got in a rhythm and the D was wearing down, turning up the pace resulted in a lot of quick scoring drives. Very excited to see what our offense looks like next season.

My biggest concern is that many ASU fans' expectations went from unreasonably low to unreasonably high in the matter of a few hours. Those same fans who were predicting that we'd go 3-8 in 2012 are probably expecting a championship now!

No doubt about that...we need a new suspension on the bandwaggon for the sudden increase in passengers. I don't expect us to set the FCS world ablaze next season, but I do expect some continuity with the offense. It will be interesting to see other changes are coming up...