PDA

View Full Version : Western Carolina Press Conference at 11am

tractorapp
December 21st, 2011, 08:53 AM
Rumor has that App recruiting coordinator and outside LB coach Mark Speir will be named HC and that several well respected members of the ASU staff will be going with him. Apparantly, Speir spent last night at a hotel in the Cullowee area. Not the kind of Christmas present ASU fans were hoping for. If true, Cats are getting a good man.

asumike83
December 21st, 2011, 08:56 AM
If Trey Elder or Dale Jones leave for WCU, I am going to be upset. Maybe we'll get lucky and Chris Moore will sign on as his OC!

Smitty
December 21st, 2011, 09:16 AM
This conference is Thursday FYI. Speir was interviewed yesterday

T-Dog
December 21st, 2011, 10:55 AM
If Trey Elder or Dale Jones leave for WCU, I am going to be upset. Maybe we'll get lucky and Chris Moore will sign on as his OC!

If the latest batch of rumors are true, Elder and Jones aren't in the ground. Also, CM was fired last week.

Apphole
December 21st, 2011, 11:27 AM
If the latest batch of rumors are true, Elder and Jones aren't in the ground. Also, CM was fired last week.

Aren't in the ground? Translate please. And I thought the CM firing was just a rumor. Apparently him and McClain were in the office Monday. Much to my dismay.

ASU_Fanatic
December 21st, 2011, 11:29 AM
Good hire for WCU, only knack on him is he has no HC experience but he knows the area better than anyone else on their list of candidates and that can go a long way to building a program. I wonder what kind of offense he will install at WCU, wonder if he'll go with the spread like App does or do something a bit simpler for WCU, in all honesty, I think running the triple option could be the best bet for them. Not gonna be easy, WCU's budgets are supposedly horrid and the future of even having a football team could be in jeopardy, good luck, Cats.

Smitty
December 21st, 2011, 11:33 AM
I wouldn't say that we would get rid of having the football team. There is already too much invested into the program to pull it for the next 5 years. A lot of the problems budget wise have been because of the football team and attendance problems. Hopefully this next hire will help all of these issues.

ASU_Fanatic
December 21st, 2011, 11:36 AM
I wouldn't say that we would get rid of having the football team. There is already too much invested into the program to pull it for the next 5 years. A lot of the problems budget wise have been because of the football team and attendance problems. Hopefully this next hire will help all of these issues.And the sad thing is y'all have really nice facilities, it's just not an easy place to win at. WCU's fans would consistently have 14k at each game if they could somehow win 5-8 games a year on a regular basis.

GSU Eagle
December 21st, 2011, 11:38 AM
I certainly hope for the Western fans that the new guy can instill some excitement in their program. Not to pile on here but Western has just been awful in football lately.

Hiring an App. coach makes alot of sense. He knows the area recruiting wise and comes from a program used to winning.

Maybe the App/WCU rivalry will actually have some reality to it now if Western becomes competitive and can give App. a game.

ASU_Fanatic
December 21st, 2011, 11:40 AM
I certainly hope for the Western fans that the new guy can instill some excitement in their program. Not to pile on here but Western has just been awful in football lately.

Hiring an App. coach makes alot of sense. He knows the area recruiting wise and comes from a program used to winning.

Maybe the App/WCU rivalry will actually have some reality to it now if Western becomes competitive and can give App. a game. A lot of ASU fans would argue Speir is the best coach on our staff and he is our recruiting coordinator so it does make a lot of sense, and he played there. It's still neer going to be easy to get guys to go to WCU over App but Speir will certainly help.

asumike83
December 21st, 2011, 11:56 AM
http://appalachianstate.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1309674

Rivals is reporting that Speir is the man in Cullowhee. Bittersweet for me, as I am happy for him getting a head coaching job but hate to see him leave. Good luck!

eaglemachine
December 21st, 2011, 12:15 PM
Good hire for WCU, only knack on him is he has no HC experience but he knows the area better than anyone else on their list of candidates and that can go a long way to building a program. I wonder what kind of offense he will install at WCU, wonder if he'll go with the spread like App does or do something a bit simpler for WCU, in all honesty, I think running the triple option could be the best bet for them. Not gonna be easy, WCU's budgets are supposedly horrid and the future of even having a football team could be in jeopardy, good luck, Cats.

No, no more triple option teams in the SOCON xnonox

Apphole
December 21st, 2011, 12:17 PM
Ill advised career move IMO. Not even Sandusky could pull this program out of the pooper....

Apphole
December 21st, 2011, 12:23 PM
Seriously this is BS. If we lose to Western at BOA because they know all our plays I'm gonna be pissed. According my my sources, he might take a few other good coaches with him. I think we might need a new HC JUST so we can acquire a new staff that's all on the same page.

Apphole
December 21st, 2011, 12:23 PM
Is he taking recruits too?

T-Dog
December 21st, 2011, 12:25 PM
Is he taking recruits too?

As your sources. xlolx

Apphole
December 21st, 2011, 12:29 PM
As your sources. xlolx

I did. I'd like the opinions of the board as well. You wouldn't laugh if you knew my source or what position I held for the past 2 years. What's the word on the translation I asked for. Since you said as instead of ask, I guess you're still drunk...

Smitty
December 21st, 2011, 12:34 PM
Well hopefully he knows what he wants to bring offense/defense. Honestly I am glad that they are looking at a defensive coach, considering ours have been terrible for the past * years

cbarrier90
December 21st, 2011, 12:41 PM
If this is true, fantastic hire and a huge loss for the ASU program. Speir got his undergraduate degree from Clemson and his Masters from WCU so I figured this was a possibility, albeit a small one.

Apphole
December 21st, 2011, 12:51 PM
I see it as a very strategic move to acquire a good coach and put the screws to their unrequited rival. Touché Catamounts

asumike83
December 21st, 2011, 01:28 PM
Losing Speir hurts but this is an opportunity for Appalachian as well. If the rumors of him taking some assistants with him are true, a couple of good hires could make our offensive coaching staff stronger. Some new blood would probably be good for us.

StorminASU
December 21st, 2011, 01:31 PM
Losing Speir hurts but this is an opportunity for Appalachian as well. If the rumors of him taking some assistants with him are true, a couple of good hires could make our offensive coaching staff stronger. Some new blood would probably be good for us.

Well the "Good Ol' Boys" club has failed miserably over the past three years, so it can only go up I believe. Here's to hoping the playcalling committee all go to WCU where they belong. At least we'll know to just practice defense on the dive next fall the week before Western

T-Dog
December 21st, 2011, 01:34 PM
I did. I'd like the opinions of the board as well. You wouldn't laugh if you knew my source or what position I held for the past 2 years. What's the word on the translation I asked for. Since you said as instead of ask, I guess you're still drunk...

Getting tidbits from a message board and calling them your sources isn't that impressive. That's what I'll laugh at. It's way funnier than your stupid Sandusky jokes or your attempts to be the spelling police.

Apphole
December 21st, 2011, 01:40 PM
Getting tidbits from a message board and calling them your sources isn't that impressive. That's what I'll laugh at. It's way funnier than your stupid Sandusky jokes or your attempts to be the spelling police.

Facepalm/ ok man, I'll break down and tell you. I was an employee of the ASU football team until I graduated last week. Those sources are real and credible. Also, don't be so quick to discredit message board hearsay. People on AGS are pretty damn knowledgable most of the time.

StorminASU
December 21st, 2011, 01:42 PM

Wait, wait, the MMB can be considered a source?

In that case, my source is a bunch of bored old scrooges with a BBQ fetis who do nothing but bicker like old women.

Apphole
December 21st, 2011, 01:43 PM
Well the "Good Ol' Boys" club has failed miserably over the past three years, so it can only go up I believe. Here's to hoping the playcalling committee all go to WCU where they belong. At least we'll know to just practice defense on the dive next fall the week before Western

You're certainly correct about the Good ol boys. Spier, Holt and Glenn wouldn't be my first choice to part with though.

ASU_Fanatic
December 21st, 2011, 01:44 PM
Just change this thread to "Mark Speir to become next coach at WCU"

Wonder what this means for ASU, if Speir brings some assistants and some recruits, things could get very interesting.

asumike83
December 21st, 2011, 01:48 PM
Just change this thread to "Mark Speir to become next coach at WCU"

Wonder what this means for ASU, if Speir brings some assistants and some recruits, things could get very interesting.

Not too worried about him bringing recruits, even though he was the recruiting director. Most of these kids committed to Appalachian and Coach Moore, not so much Speir. As of now, Western is a much tougher sell and I expect us to keep all of our current verbal commitments.

ASU_Fanatic
December 21st, 2011, 01:52 PM
Not too worried about him bringing recruits, even though he was the recruiting director. Most of these kids committed to Appalachian and Coach Moore, not so much Speir. As of now, Western is a much tougher sell and I expect us to keep all of our current verbal commitments.
I agree, it's neer going to be easy to get guys to go to WCU over App, there is nothing there...the experience at App is much better.

StorminASU
December 21st, 2011, 01:53 PM
You're certainly correct about the Good ol boys. Spier, Holt and Glenn wouldn't be my first choice to part with though.

Mine either, but if they're going, I hope JM shakes it up and gets rid of McClain too. We all know Jr isn't going anywhere, so I'm not even mentioning that. I've lost my belief that unless something like this does happen, there will be major changes. That's the only positive thing I see out of this.

asumike83
December 21st, 2011, 01:57 PM
Mine either, but if they're going, I hope JM shakes it up and gets rid of McClain too. We all know Jr isn't going anywhere, so I'm not even mentioning that. I've lost my belief that unless something like this does happen, there will be major changes. That's the only positive thing I see out of this.

I'm not sure what to think of the Chris Moore situation. I've been told by some friends that are usually pretty knowledgeable about our athletic department that they are confident he is gone. However, there has been no official announcement.

T-Dog
December 21st, 2011, 02:06 PM
Facepalm/ ok man, I'll break down and tell you. I was an employee of the ASU football team until I graduated last week. Those sources are real and credible. Also, don't be so quick to discredit message board hearsay. People on AGS are pretty damn knowledgable most of the time.

Okay, now I'm convinced your trolling. No one with any maturity says the stupid **** you say, let alone say it as a paid representative of ASU football. Grow up once you get into the real world.

ASU_Fanatic
December 21st, 2011, 02:09 PM
Okay, now I'm convinced your trolling. No one with any maturity says the stupid **** you say, let alone say it as a paid representative of ASU football. Grow up once you get into the real world.YOU GUYS KNOW WE'RE GOING TO THE ACC, REPLACING FLORIDA STATE? MY SOURCE CLOSE TO THE TEAM IS TELLING ME!

GSU Eagle
December 21st, 2011, 02:11 PM
Time for Appalachian to blow up the whole coaching staff and start over :)

49RFootballNow
December 21st, 2011, 02:12 PM
Okay, now I'm convinced your trolling. No one with any maturity says the stupid **** you say, let alone say it as a paid representative of ASU football. Grow up once you get into the real world.

Apphole worked for the App State Football Team counting bumper stickers in Charlotte. Sounds like a work program that would exist in a state run by Bev Perdue to me.

StorminASU
December 21st, 2011, 02:13 PM
Time for Appalachian to blow up the whole coaching staff and start over :)

It looks like WCU may be doing it for us. Jerry isn't firing anyone, so our Socon brethren have taken up the torch.

StorminASU
December 21st, 2011, 02:14 PM
Apphole worked for the App State Football Team counting bumper stickers in Charlotte. Sounds like a work program that would exist in a state run by Bev Perdue to me.

I hate the ASU/UNCC dribble, but that's hilarious. Apphole just sitting beside the interstate with a pen and paper just counting his life away, haha.

GSU Eagle
December 21st, 2011, 02:15 PM
I remember several years back (before the 3 National Championships) that there was a big call to fire Jerry Moore. I bet that crowd is glad that move was not made.

proasu89
December 21st, 2011, 02:17 PM

xsmhxxlolx

StorminASU
December 21st, 2011, 02:18 PM
I remember several years back (before the 3 National Championships) that there was a big call to fire Jerry Moore. I bet that crowd is glad that move was not made.

I'm wondering if that crew is realizing how Scott Satterfield and Sean Elliott saved JM's job and is back at the hunt. I'm starting to question his leadership myself. Why has nothing changed over the past three years despite glaring problems? As a head coach, JM should have addressed these things, not just kept blowing smoke about how good our program is week after week. Every Monday can't be the best practice in the history of ASU football. How much does the figurehead that is JM really affect the football program?

asumike83
December 21st, 2011, 02:21 PM

No Moore in '04!

I remember that and am quite happy he did not get the ax. He did have some great assistant coaches but if he is going to catch hell for not firing the questionable ones, he has to get some credit for hiring the great ones.

StorminASU
December 21st, 2011, 02:22 PM
No Moore in '04!

I remember that and am quite happy he did not get the ax. He did have some great assistant coaches but if he is going to catch hell for not firing the questionable ones, he has to get some credit for hiring the great ones.

He did hire some great ones. I've also heard from MULTIPLE people that his nepotism drove them away.

GSU Eagle
December 21st, 2011, 02:26 PM
I could see JM retiring before many more years. If ASU does go to FBS (if there is a conference to go to) one would think it may be with a new head coach. I have read (although I don't know for a fact if it is true) that JM does not really support a move to the FBS.

asumike83
December 21st, 2011, 02:33 PM
He did hire some great ones. I've also heard from MULTIPLE people that his nepotism drove them away.

I've heard that too and I'm definitely not saying Jerry is perfect. However, I don't think there is any way our '05-'07 run happens if it is immediately preceded by a coaching change. He has done a lot for our school but you just have to take the good with the bad I suppose.

I'd give it about 2 years before he steps down and retires.

StorminASU
December 21st, 2011, 02:33 PM
I could see JM retiring before many more years. If ASU does go to FBS (if there is a conference to go to) one would think it may be with a new head coach. I have read (although I don't know for a fact if it is true) that JM does not really support a move to the FBS.

I can't remember anywhere to find it, but he has made broad statements that implied his lack of support for FBS. It could be lipservice, but at his age and with his wife wanting retirement, I can't help but believe he's gone when FBS comes calling

ASU_Fanatic
December 21st, 2011, 02:35 PM
I don't think we're going FBS unless we go Sun-Belt which is a step below the SoCon....

StorminASU
December 21st, 2011, 02:35 PM
I've heard that too and I'm definitely not saying Jerry is perfect. However, I don't think there is any way our '05-'07 run happens if it is immediately preceded by a coaching change. He has done a lot for our school but you just have to take the good with the bad I suppose.

I'd give it about 2 years before he steps down and retires.

and I don't mind two more years at all...IF he is willing to do the right thing now and realize some coaching changes are in order. If he is fine with continuing the playcalling by committee, poor tackling, being embarrassed at home, etc. then I think we'd be better off to thank him and get someone else who's not ok with the decline the past three years.

asumike83
December 21st, 2011, 02:36 PM
I don't think we're going FBS unless we go Sun-Belt which is a step below the SoCon....

The more I hear, the more I am starting to believe we will remain FCS for a few years and move up with a group of other FCS schools. Seemed like nothing more than a pipe dream just a month or two ago but if it gets enough momentum, it just may be a possibility.

ASU_Fanatic
December 21st, 2011, 02:39 PM
A source close to the team just told me we're changing our colors to neon green and pick effective in 2012...., we're telling recruits now.

Apphole
December 21st, 2011, 02:40 PM

Lighten up dick head. You're on crack of you think I don't bring any substance to this board. Just because you're against the idea of mixing a joke or two and having a good time smacking it up with other schools' fans with valid, well thought out football talk doesn't reflect on me. I'm plenty mature when I need to be. I don't give a **** about and will make no attempt to humor some douche on a message board.

Apphole
December 21st, 2011, 02:41 PM
YOU GUYS KNOW WE'RE GOING TO THE ACC, REPLACING FLORIDA STATE? MY SOURCE CLOSE TO THE TEAM IS TELLING ME!

I have reported no such nonsense....

Apphole
December 21st, 2011, 02:42 PM
Oh ye of little faith...

http://www.appfan.com/2011/12/21/shadow-group-looking-to-create-new-fbs-league/

StorminASU
December 21st, 2011, 02:47 PM
Oh ye of little faith...

http://www.appfan.com/2011/12/21/shadow-group-looking-to-create-new-fbs-league/

I'm almost positive a group of old FCS schools would get even less respect than the Sunbelt though, so it's kind of pointless to argue semantics.

Apphole
December 21st, 2011, 02:47 PM

That joke never gets old. If you can twist a statement like "there are noticeably more App fans in the Charlotte area than UNCC" into "apphole sits around counting bumper stickers all the time" I would assume you could come up with some fresh jokes. Like I said earlier, I like a little humor in my football blogging. Let's hear some new ones.

Apphole
December 21st, 2011, 02:50 PM
I'm almost positive a group of old FCS schools would get even less respect than the Sunbelt though, so it's kind of pointless to argue semantics.

Well you're free to look at it how you want, but I see it as a big step up from the SoCon with some very exciting opportunities. ie. Home games VS FBS schools like Wake and ECU. Possibly UNC and State eventually. I love the playoffs too, but look what's happening to the FCS. Losing money and TV coverage constantly.

asumike83
December 21st, 2011, 02:53 PM

I've talked to several people who have the same sentiments. In my opinion though, how we are perceived initially is much less important than being aligned with other like-minded institutions that are regional enough to make travel feasible for fans and teams alike. Theoretically, if we were in a conference of ASU, JMU, ODU, Charlotte, Liberty, Delaware, Georgia State and Georgia Southern, that would be a great regular season conference slate and I could easily drive to every home and away game except UD.

As for respect, the only way we will ever be respected in the FBS (regardless of conference affiliation) is to take on the BCS teams and win. Given the FBS scholarships and revenue, I have no doubt that the teams in a conference similar to that would earn their stripes over time.

ASU_Fanatic
December 21st, 2011, 02:56 PM
I've talked to several people who have the same sentiments. In my opinion though, how we are perceived initially is much less important than being aligned with other like-minded institutions that are regional enough to make travel feasible for fans and teams alike. Theoretically, if we were in a conference of ASU, JMU, ODU, Charlotte, Liberty, Delaware, Georgia State and Georgia Southern, that would be a great regular season conference slate and I could easily drive to every home and away game except UD.

As for respect, the only way we will ever be respected in the FBS (regardless of conference affiliation) is to take on the BCS teams and win. Given the FBS scholarships and revenue, I have no doubt that the teams in a conference similar to that would earn their stripes over time.
That would be a BA conference but a lot would be riding on Charlotte to get up to par with us asap because having the Charlotte market could help big time to get the conference going,

asumike83
December 21st, 2011, 02:59 PM
That would be a BA conference but a lot would be riding on Charlotte to get up to par with us asap because having the Charlotte market could help big time to get the conference going,

No doubt, same for Georgia State. Having a real presence in Charlotte and Atlanta would be huge. Never going to over take the SEC/ACC grasp of those markets but establishing a footprint would really be beneficial.

ASU_Fanatic
December 21st, 2011, 03:00 PM
No doubt, same for Georgia State. Having a real presence in Charlotte and Atlanta would be huge. Never going to over take the SEC/ACC grasp of those markets but establishing a footprint would really be beneficial.Games in BOAS and the Dome would be sick!.....maybe it wouldn't be out of the realm of possibility to snatch Tulane too? They're going no where, add New Orleans to the list.

Apphole
December 21st, 2011, 03:02 PM
I know it's doubtful that ECU would want to join an all FCS move-up conference just to cut travel costs, but what about Marshal? Like Tulane, they're not going anywhere.

ASU_Fanatic
December 21st, 2011, 03:03 PM
I know it's doubtful that ECU would want to join an all FCS move-up conference just to cut travel costs, but what about Marshal? Like Tulane, they're not going anywhere.Maybe.

asumike83
December 21st, 2011, 03:05 PM
Games in BOAS and the Dome would be sick!.....maybe it wouldn't be out of the realm of possibility to snatch Tulane too? They're going no where, add New Orleans to the list.

I know it's doubtful that ECU would want to join an all FCS move-up conference just to cut travel costs, but what about Marshal? Like Tulane, they're not going anywhere.

Both would be great but I don't think either administration would take that sort of step back. That would basically be admitting defeat, which would send their already dwindling fan support even further down. I think we either join an FBS conference or move up with other FCS programs, a mixed bag seems unlikely.

49RFootballNow
December 21st, 2011, 03:07 PM
ECU will have no part of a confernce made up of anywhere near 25% or greater FCS move-up programs. Neither will Marshall. They are now members of the top non-BCS conference in the country.

WH49er
December 21st, 2011, 03:10 PM
Theoretically, if we were in a conference of ASU, JMU, ODU, Charlotte, Liberty, Delaware, Georgia State and Georgia Southern, that would be a great regular season conference slate and I could easily drive to every home and away game except UD.

That sounds like a conference that could grow to the FBS level together but it would take a joint commitment (similar to App's) by all schools. I'm still trying to figure out what people see or get from ACC football, even one of their "top dogs" can't even sale 17K in tickets to a BCS game.

Apphole
December 21st, 2011, 03:12 PM
I agree that it's very unlikely. I think the ideal conference would include App, JMU, GaSo, and UNCC. Those are 3 great rivals. I'd trade that for Western and Furman in a heart beat and as I said before, OOC home games with FBS schools in North Carolina.

ASUMountaineer
December 21st, 2011, 03:33 PM

So, divulge your information. Which coaches will Speir take to the Whee?

ASUMountaineer
December 21st, 2011, 03:34 PM

I think more movement could create more opportunities before we're ready to jump. With that said, the SunBelt is not a great conference, but it's better than the SoCon. I, for one, would rank them this way: CUSA > CAA > SunBelt > SoCon.

ASUMountaineer
December 21st, 2011, 03:37 PM
Lighten up dick head. You're on crack of you think I don't bring any substance to this board. Just because you're against the idea of mixing a joke or two and having a good time smacking it up with other schools' fans with valid, well thought out football talk doesn't reflect on me. I'm plenty mature when I need to be. I don't give a **** about and will make no attempt to humor some douche on a message board.

I think the biggest thing is the way you say things. If you truly worked for the football program, you really should carry yourself in a more professional manner. I know you're not representing ASU when you post here, but now that you've stated you did work for the program, it shines a negative light on the program. Especially using such mature terms as "dick head" and "douche." C'mon man.

I know you have your shtick, and that's cool, just be mindful of the stuff you say if you're going to brag about working for the program.

GSU Eagle
December 21st, 2011, 03:46 PM
The SunBelt commissioner has said no FCS moveups will be added to the Sun Belt. If that is true then realitically the only way App goes FBS is to move up with like minded schools and form a new conference IMO.

It has been said before but if App. leaves the SoCon for whatever other conference it would be difficult for Ga. Southern to remain behind.

Apphole
December 21st, 2011, 03:48 PM
I think the biggest thing is the way you say things. If you truly worked for the football program, you really should carry yourself in a more professional manner. I know you're not representing ASU when you post here, but now that you've stated you did work for the program, it shines a negative light on the program. Especially using such mature terms as "dick head" and "douche." C'mon man.

I know you have your shtick, and that's cool, just be mindful of the stuff you say if you're going to brag about working for the program.

I would never "brag" about it. After repeated assaults on my credibility, I broke down and told him that. I'll never mention it again and I managed to keep it to myself since I joined almost a year ago.

The Eagle's Cliff
December 21st, 2011, 04:04 PM
When thinking about current non-AQ FBS conference members, consider that geography will become more important than market with the new makeup. ECU has already been turned down by the ACC and Big East and CUSA won't be the same conference. Marshall, Middle Tennessee are a couple more FBS schools to consider along with FIU and FAU and Old Dominion should be considered along with Ga St. and Charlotte.

The Moody1
December 21st, 2011, 05:15 PM
The SunBelt commissioner has said no FCS moveups will be added to the Sun Belt. If that is true then realitically the only way App goes FBS is to move up with like minded schools and form a new conference IMO.

It has been said before but if App. leaves the SoCon for whatever other conference it would be difficult for Ga. Southern to remain behind.

They must not plan on ever adding any schools. There is not a single current FBS school that would give them the time of day.

The Eagle's Cliff
December 21st, 2011, 05:50 PM
They must not plan on ever adding any schools. There is not a single current FBS school that would give them the time of day.

And EVERY Sunbelt Football member was I-AA or FCS at some point with the exception of UL-Lafayette.

GSU Eagle
December 21st, 2011, 06:13 PM
I am still waiting to see if CUSA adds schools after the 3 leave for the Big East. If they add Sunbelt schools I would have to think the Sunbelt will be adding schools and to me that would have to include moveups from the FCS.

catamount man
December 21st, 2011, 06:29 PM
Well..........this thread got shot to hell and gone. LOL! Welcome back Coach Speir! GO CATS!

The Eagle's Cliff
December 21st, 2011, 08:43 PM
GO CATS!

.....and take the Apps with you:D

tractorapp
December 22nd, 2011, 08:16 AM
ECU will have no part of a confernce made up of anywhere near 25% or greater FCS move-up programs. Neither will Marshall. They are now members of the top non-BCS conference in the country.

Well, they are losing tons of money on travel for non-revenue sports and their student athletes are missing lots of class time traveling to Louisiana and Texas for games/matches. Can't see how there fans wouldn't be happy to trade a C-USA football game with UAB for one with APP. I agree with our FBS report that says if you are not in a AQ BCS conference the key to your financial success is to be in a fairly compact regional conference where you can build up rivaliries with close, like minded schools by minimizing travel costs and building up market excitement. Because of that, I now am more excited about a new confence than a move to C-USA, which appears to have little to no chance of happening. Hope the '49ers and GSU Eagles come with us when the time is right. Georgia State, ODU and JMU would be great schools for us to be aligned with too IMO.

asumike83
December 22nd, 2011, 08:22 AM
Well, they are losing tons of money on travel for non-revenue sports and their student athletes are missing lots of class time traveling to Louisiana and Texas for games/matches. Can't see how there fans wouldn't be happy to trade a C-USA football game with UAB for one with APP.

It is all about perception. It would make a ton more sense for ECU to play schools like App, ODU, JMU, etc. than UAB and Rice, but it would be viewed as a step back. It took them a long time to get into C-USA, they have applied for the Big East and believe it or not, some of their fans think they belong in the SEC. If they aligned themselves with a group of transitioning FCS schools, their fans would be jumping off of bridges and the donations would likely take a sizable hit.

tractorapp
December 22nd, 2011, 08:42 AM
It is all about perception. It would make a ton more sense for ECU to play schools like App, ODU, JMU, etc. than UAB and Rice, but it would be viewed as a step back. It took them a long time to get into C-USA, they have applied for the Big East and believe it or not, some of their fans think they belong in the SEC. If they aligned themselves with a group of transitioning FCS schools, their fans would be jumping off of bridges and the donations would likely take a sizable hit.

I hear you, but read any message board and many fans are idiots. I guess it really gets down to the big $ donors. If those folks at ECU would stop contributing because of a re-alignment with many FCS moveups than I agree, they would not do it. As for folks like me that are small dollar donors, they want our money but they certainly are not going to make major decesions based on what I think.

Smitty
December 22nd, 2011, 08:43 AM
Well..........this thread got shot to hell and gone. LOL! Welcome back Coach Speir! GO CATS!

I was about to say the last WCU post was #18 and we have had 6 pages since then...

StorminASU
December 22nd, 2011, 08:47 AM
I was about to say the last WCU post was #18 and we have had 6 pages since then...

Yeah I hate how everything turns into an FCS/FBS debate.

The Eagle's Cliff
December 22nd, 2011, 08:51 AM

At first, that would be the reaction. ECU fans will be confronted with the "fact" that, in spite of the great strides they've made growing their Athletics in Greenville, their market footprint will never be big enough to put them in a BCS conference. Like I've written before, Round 2 of realignment will occur over the next 12 months and it will center around the shuffling of the non-BCS conferences. ECU, Marshall, Southern Miss, etc. are already 2nd Tier, but what the Big Boys are doing will make it even clearer. Do we think the "stipend" is going to stay at $2000 for long?