PDA

View Full Version : Tom Williams Resigns At Yale

Mr. C
December 21st, 2011, 08:16 AM
Tom Williams handed in his resignation at Yale, it was just announced.

Here is the press release:

New Haven, Conn.—Yale University today accepted the resignation of head football coach Tom Williams. Williams’ resignation is effective December 31, said Director of Athletics Tom Beckett.

“I wish to clear the record,” Williams said in offering his resignation. “On the Rhodes Scholarship issue, I was encouraged to apply by the Stanford Fellowship office, which identified me ‘as the kind of student who demonstrates the intellect, energy and commitment that the Rhodes selection committees seek in their applicants.’ I considered the opportunity, sought advice and was encouraged to apply by faculty members and my coach Bill Walsh, but I did not apply.”

“During the spring of my senior year, I was given an opportunity to attend a try-out camp with the San Francisco 49ers, and I participated in that three-day event. I did not sign a free agent contract with the 49ers or participate in their summer training camp for signed players.”

“I am extremely proud of my academic, athletic and coaching career. If there was confusion created, I take full responsibility. The timing of this inquiry has been difficult for everyone. At this point I believe it is in the best interest of my student-athletes and Yale University that I step down.”

In accepting Williams’ resignation, Beckett said, “Coach Williams has been a dedicated teacher and coach at Yale, and his students have benefited greatly from his leadership and passion for the game of football.”

Beckett said the University would immediately begin a search for Williams’ successor.

RichH2
December 21st, 2011, 08:35 AM
Il scandals, just not quite up to the level of the SEC and Big10xrolleyesx. Hope Williams lands on his feet

CFBfan
December 21st, 2011, 08:47 AM
Il scandals, just not quite up to the level of the SEC and Big10xrolleyesx. Hope Williams lands on his feet

so based on his comments it seems that he may have lead others to believe he was a rhode scholar applicant? and was signed by the 49er's??

Lehigh Football Nation
December 21st, 2011, 09:11 AM
I think the "scandals" got more focus after he went 0-3 versus Harvard, but that's just me.

Actually, though, I remember Yale came out extremely flat vs. Lehigh and Lafayette this year - to me, stunningly so. You wonder if Williams had lost this team somewhere along the way.

I wonder if Tom Masella might be considered for this vacancy?

CFBfan
December 21st, 2011, 09:18 AM
I think the "scandals" got more focus after he went 0-3 versus Harvard, but that's just me.

Actually, though, I remember Yale came out extremely flat vs. Lehigh and Lafayette this year - to me, stunningly so. You wonder if Williams had lost this team somewhere along the way.

I wonder if Tom Masella might be considered for this vacancy?

I would think that there's no way Masella is considered based on his complete lack of success the last few seasons at FU?

DFW HOYA
December 21st, 2011, 09:20 AM
so based on his comments it seems that he may have lead others to believe he was a rhode scholar applicant? and was signed by the 49er's??

From his bio on the Yale web site:

"Williams, who has been involved in six different Bowl Games, graduated from Stanford in 1992 with honors as a history major and as a Rhodes Scholar candidate... Williams, who was on the San Francisco 49ers practice squad in 1993..."

He was neither.

http://www.yalebulldogs.com/sports/m-footbl/coaches/williams_tom

Lehigh Football Nation
December 21st, 2011, 09:36 AM
I would think that there's no way Masella is considered based on his complete lack of success the last few seasons at FU?

He knows the AI, and he's also won a PL title with the Rams as well.

Plus, he knows scholarships, so he'll fit in perfectly at Yale.

*rimshot*

Wildcat80
December 21st, 2011, 09:41 AM
Real reason is he did not beat Harvard!! Surprising with all the lawyers at Yale this was printed in the 1st place. Aren't they a smart college???

DFW HOYA
December 21st, 2011, 10:07 AM
Four of the seven PL head coaches had stops at Ivy schools in their tenures, though none at New Haven:

Susan (Bucknell): OC, Princeton, 1991-99
Kelly (Georgetown): LB coach, Dartmouth, 1991
Gilmore (Holy Cross): Penn grad, various stops at Penn, Dartmouth, Columbia
Coen (Lehigh): OC, Pennsylvania, 2000-05

If Yale wants to focus within PL talent, Lehigh OC Dave Cecchini's tenure at Harvard wouldn't hurt, because Yale frankly needs to start beating Harvard again (1-10 vs. the Cantabs since 2000). If they want to stay regional, former UMass coach Don Brown is the DC at UConn and a former coordinator at Yale from 1987-92.

A wild card? Tony Sparano, late of the Miami Dolphins. Grew up in West Haven and coached for four years down the road at Univ. of New Haven.

Lehigh Football Nation
December 21st, 2011, 10:19 AM
A wild card? Tony Sparano, late of the Miami Dolphins. Grew up in West Haven and coached for four years down the road at Univ. of New Haven.

Sparano I bet will be high up on their list, too. If I had to handicap the finalists, I'd definitely put Sparano and Masella in there.

As for Cecchini, I am honestly not sure what to think. If he wants to be a head guy at an Ivy school, Yale sure is a plum opportunity, but if the ultimate goal is an FBS-level job, is it a logical next step? As a springboard to big things, maybe taking over as head man at, say, Richmond might have been a more logical choice. Personally, I see him as a Chip Kelly-type that might go to an assistant position at big-big-big time school before taking over.

Bogus Megapardus
December 21st, 2011, 10:20 AM

You want indignity? Williams went 0-2 against Lafayette, losing both in Easton and at the Bowl. That can't sit well in New Haven.

RichH2
December 21st, 2011, 10:21 AM
Sparano might be a pretty good surprise and he's a good coach.However, dont expect Yale to go outside . Gilmore, Coen, Cecchini all possibilities.

Lehigh Football Nation
December 21st, 2011, 11:26 AM
From Footballscoop.com:

Hard to imagine that Yale could find a better coach than current Vanderbilt defensive coordinator Bob Shoop. Shoop played at Yale, was a grad assistant there, later returned as defensive coordinator...head coach at Columbia...plenty of great coaching stops along the way and now DC at Vandy and doing a great job. Winner of the 2009 FootballScoop 1-AA Coordinator of the Year and a finalist for this year's Defensive Backs Coach of the Year.

Did Shoop himself write the scoop? xlolx Seriously, there will be a lot of high-profile candidates for this job, given the timing.

DetroitFlyer
December 21st, 2011, 11:46 AM
I just hope they leave Rick Chamberlin alone....

Ivytalk
December 21st, 2011, 04:02 PM
I nominate bulldog10jw!

Brad82
December 21st, 2011, 05:54 PM
Pete Rossamundo (?) -the Coach at New Haven has done a great job.
would be good candidate.

GSU Eagle
December 21st, 2011, 06:14 PM
I am not sure Shoop would make more as head coach at Yale then he makes as DC at Vanderbilt. I think he makes something like $500,000 as Vandy's DC.

Wildcat80
December 21st, 2011, 09:03 PM
Yalies better get a guy that is committed to beating Harvard and winning the Ivy every year......where is the next young Carm Cozza??

ngineer
December 21st, 2011, 10:41 PM
Four of the seven PL head coaches had stops at Ivy schools in their tenures, though none at New Haven:

Susan (Bucknell): OC, Princeton, 1991-99
Kelly (Georgetown): LB coach, Dartmouth, 1991
Gilmore (Holy Cross): Penn grad, various stops at Penn, Dartmouth, Columbia
Coen (Lehigh): OC, Pennsylvania, 2000-05

If Yale wants to focus within PL talent, Lehigh OC Dave Cecchini's tenure at Harvard wouldn't hurt, because Yale frankly needs to start beating Harvard again (1-10 vs. the Cantabs since 2000). If they want to stay regional, former UMass coach Don Brown is the DC at UConn and a former coordinator at Yale from 1987-92.

SHHHHSH! We'll have none of that talk around here!xnonoxxnonox

ngineer
December 21st, 2011, 10:42 PM
"Eli's Coming"...

Bill
December 21st, 2011, 10:42 PM
If Shoop makes 500K as DC at Vanderbilt, I am certain he would have to take a serious paycut to coach Yale!

I think the potential Patriot move to scholarships could effect this search. IF Gilmore and Chick are serious candidates, it may be tough to give up where they are at now...

bulldog10jw
December 22nd, 2011, 07:44 PM
Word is Yale is looking hard at current Harvard assistant and former Yale assistant Tony Reno.

Ivytalk
December 22nd, 2011, 10:30 PM
Word is Yale is looking hard at current Harvard assistant and former Yale assistant Tony Reno.

What goes around, comes around.

CFBfan
December 23rd, 2011, 08:05 AM

would he be a good choice??

Lehigh Football Nation
December 23rd, 2011, 09:44 AM
I don't know, he was pretty good in "The Professional', I guess. xlolx

Lehigh Football Nation
December 30th, 2011, 02:35 PM
Bob Shoop and Don Brown seem to be "high on the list". Interesting that Brown is in the mix, too.

Mr. C
December 30th, 2011, 05:09 PM
I would be shocked to see Don Brown as the head coach at Yale for a bunch of reasons, among them the fact thatthe kids he got into Northeastern and UMass he couldn't get into Yale. He took transfers that even K.C. Keeler raised eyebrows about.

VT Wildcat Fan53
December 30th, 2011, 09:48 PM
I would be shocked to see Don Brown as the head coach at Yale for a bunch of reasons, among them the fact thatthe kids he got into Northeastern and UMass he couldn't get into Yale. He took transfers that even K.C. Keeler raised eyebrows about.

True, but he got himself on the head coaching radar screen originally with his quality work at Yale as DC. And, ...he could likely be a guy who could solve Harvard's dominance in "The Game" by employing some jailbreak defensive schemes for which he has become noted. And, since Yale has no problem firing good coaches who simply can't beat Murphy's clubs, maybe they would welcome someone who just might be able to do so despite the concerns about past recruiting ponds, ....

Cleets
December 30th, 2011, 10:40 PM
True, but he got himself on the head coaching radar screen originally with his quality work at Yale as DC. And, ...he could likely be a guy who could solve Harvard's dominance in "The Game" by employing some jailbreak defensive schemes for which he has become noted. And, since Yale has no problem firing good coaches who simply can't beat Murphy's clubs, maybe they would welcome someone who just might be able to do so despite the concerns about past recruiting ponds, ....

Agreed,
Recruiting is "situational" unless your Dennis Erickson
What a guy might do regarding recruiting at UMass he probably wouldn't do at Yale (or something like that)

Lehigh Football Nation
December 30th, 2011, 11:02 PM
Personally, I thought Williams stretched the line with many of his "recruits" that were transfers from FBS schools. Brown would just be continuing his work.

Ivytalk
December 31st, 2011, 06:49 AM
If Yale wants to beat Harvard consistently, maybe it should hire Tim Murphy. The difference between Yale and Harvard alums is stark: years ago, when Restic lost two or three in a row to Yale, his job was secure. When Tim lost 3 in a row to Yale in 1998-2000, it was the same deal. Our alums just don't seem to care as much.

Mr. C
January 1st, 2012, 12:39 AM
If Yale wants to beat Harvard consistently, maybe it should hire Tim Murphy. The difference between Yale and Harvard alums is stark: years ago, when Restic lost two or three in a row to Yale, his job was secure. When Tim lost 3 in a row to Yale in 1998-2000, it was the same deal. Our alums just don't seem to care as much.

Obviously bumping out a very successful coach because he didn't beat Harvard really worked out well for Yale. The program is in a lot worse shape now after Tom Williams than it was with Jack Siedlecki. Yale pretty much got what they deserved in bringing in the ill-prepared Tom Williams. It kind of reminds me of when Georgia Southern ousted Mike Sewak and brought in Brian VanGorder. Anyone see it as ironic that VanGorder and Williams used to be on the same NFL staff together at Jacksonville? They both brought an arrogance into FCS that was unbelievable and their lack of success was not surprising.

Mr. C
January 1st, 2012, 12:40 AM
Personally, I thought Williams stretched the line with many of his "recruits" that were transfers from FBS schools. Brown would just be continuing his work.

Brown would make that even worse and I don't see Yale going in that direction.

Mr. C
January 1st, 2012, 12:41 AM

Don Brown didn't find much success beating Tim Murphy when they went head-to-head during Brown's Northeastern head coaching days.

Brad82
January 1st, 2012, 06:55 AM
How about Rich Cavanaugh of SCSU?

VT Wildcat Fan53
January 1st, 2012, 11:35 PM
Don Brown didn't find much success beating Tim Murphy when they went head-to-head during Brown's Northeastern head coaching days.

Just guessing here (w/o a record book), but I bet he did when he was at UMASS....

Mr. C
January 2nd, 2012, 01:14 AM
Don Brown didn't go against Tim Murphy and Harvard while at UMass. The loss for Northeastern against Harvard was during an A-10 championship season for the Huskies.

Bogus Megapardus
January 2nd, 2012, 10:06 AM
If these three criteria are used - (a) regularly plays against and demonstrates ability to beat Harvard, (b) ability to recruit under the academic index on a national scale and (c) has suggested in the past a willingness to switch jobs - only one name fits: Tom Gilmore at Holy Cross.

I really hope Gilmore stays where he is, but you never know. Poaching Patriot coaches under the guise that Ivy football is a "step up" would not be good for the Patriot/Ivy relationship.

Green26
January 2nd, 2012, 11:24 AM
What about John Lyons, the current defensive coordinator at UNH, former Dartmouth head coach, and former Penn player? He won a few Ivy championships and had an undefeated season at Dartmouth, and then went down with the team after the admissions office decided to stop letting in top football recruits. After the downward spiral, he couldn't get Dartmouth out of the hole. In fact, Teevens, now with good support from the college administration and I think the admissions office too, is still struggling to get Dartmouth out of the hole and back on or near the top. Lyons is a good guy, and I think he's a good coach too.

Bogus Megapardus
January 2nd, 2012, 02:08 PM
What about John Lyons, the current defensive coordinator at UNH, former Dartmouth head coach, and former Penn player? He won a few Ivy championships and had an undefeated season at Dartmouth, and then went down with the team after the admissions office decided to stop letting in top football recruits. After the downward spiral, he couldn't get Dartmouth out of the hole. In fact, Teevens, now with good support from the college administration and I think the admissions office too, is still struggling to get Dartmouth out of the hole and back on or near the top. Lyons is a good guy, and I think he's a good coach too.

Good call, Green26. But the UNH defense really hasn't been stellar of late. UNH held opponents under 20 points only three times this season, and three teams (Lehigh, Richmond, Towson) scored more than 40. Holy Cross also put up 32 points. Still, Lyons does have the credentials.

VT Wildcat Fan53
January 3rd, 2012, 11:53 AM

Absolutely on both opinions. xthumbsupx Lyons is an outstanding coach, surpassed only by his status as a person. Dartmouth's "about face" cost them a fine coach, just like another change in direction will likely save Teevens' job (another fine coach).

Speaking selfishly, it would be difficult for UNH to lose John right now. As for criticism about UNH's defensive lapses this fall, like anything else it takes time to have an overall impact. After next season, we'll have a better indication of John's impact upon the team's defensive philosophy and growth/maturation of his players.

VT Wildcat Fan53
January 3rd, 2012, 11:58 AM
If these three criteria are used - (a) regularly plays against and demonstrates ability to beat Harvard, (b) ability to recruit under the academic index on a national scale and (c) has suggested in the past a willingness to switch jobs - only one name fits: Tom Gilmore at Holy Cross.

I really hope Gilmore stays where he is, but you never know. Poaching Patriot coaches under the guise that Ivy football is a "step up" would not be good for the Patriot/Ivy relationship.

Yet another outstanding suggestion. Gilmore would certainly bring some discipline to Yale, both with respect to players and his staff. Big question, can the Yalie administration handle Tom? An historical precedent 'in miniature" happened a few years back with Chuck Priori in charge at Trinity College in the NESCAC. TC embraced Chuck and he certainly didn't disappoint. But, can Yale follow the lead of its "little cousin" just to the north? xeyebrowx

danefan
January 3rd, 2012, 12:31 PM
Yet another outstanding suggestion. Gilmore would certainly bring some discipline to Yale, both with respect to players and his staff. Big question, can the Yalie administration handle Tom? An historical precedent 'in miniature" happened a few years back with Chuck Priori in charge at Trinity College in the NESCAC. TC embraced Chuck and he certainly didn't disappoint. But, can Yale follow the lead of its "little cousin" just to the north? xeyebrowx

What about Peter Rossomondo at New Haven?

Completely rebuilt that program from the ground up to a DII contender.

Bogus Megapardus
January 3rd, 2012, 12:41 PM
What about Peter Rossomondo at New Haven?

Completely rebuilt that program from the ground up to a DII contender.

Rossomondo would warrant greater consideration if Yale recruited principally in the northeast, but it does not. A coach who can recruit across the nation and who can integrate the AI would seem to be of principal importance for Yale.

Lehigh Football Nation
January 3rd, 2012, 12:46 PM
But, can Yale follow the lead of its "little cousin" just to the north? xeyebrowx

It seems like the folks at Yale are incapable of acknowledging the fine coaches in their local midst. To that list you could include both Gilmore and Brown, who did very well locally but were passed over for Williams, coming from the NFL.

If I were a gambling man, I'd put 2:1 odds that Bob Shoop will be the guy. He fits the best into Yale's vision of itself in the universe.

danefan
January 3rd, 2012, 12:54 PM
Rossomondo would warrant greater consideration if Yale recruited principally in the northeast, but it does not. A coach who can recruit across the nation and who can integrate the AI would seem to be of principal importance for Yale.

Meh.....previous recruiting territory is an overrated factor in hiring a coach, IMO.

Rossomondo has done wonders recruiting at New Haven. He's loaded up with Florida and NJ players. Two of the hotbeds of high school football.

The AI consideration is a tough one though. What a pain in the butt it must be.

Lehigh Football Nation
January 5th, 2012, 11:37 AM
"Multiple sources telling us that 4 remaining finalists (it is believed that Bob Shoop turned it down) are Don Brown (UConn DC), Kevin Kelly (Georgetown HC), Tony Reno (Harvard secondary / special teams) and Dave Cecchini (Lehigh OC). "

Kevin Kelly, huh? Cecchini is in the mix as well.

Ivytalk
January 5th, 2012, 04:53 PM
If that's the Final Four, I'll bet Yale takes Reno. It may take signing a Harvard coach for them to beat Harvard. Look how the tables turned in ice hockey after Yale lured Tim Taylor away from Cambridge when he was Bob Cleary's assistant.

ktuck911
January 6th, 2012, 02:45 PM
I wouldn't count Reno in too fast... Don Brown has nice track record... He may want to settle in and finish out his coaching career in the comfy confines of New Haven, CT ( home of the Yale Bulldogs ).. He's already proven he can win at the FCS level ( formerly D1 AA ). Some guys just got it at certain levels... Don Brown definitely has "it" at the FCS level... Being a UCONN fan ( and alumn ) I really don't wanna see him leave us so soon, but one does what's best for one...

Brad82
January 6th, 2012, 05:53 PM
How about Chuck Priore?

Lehigh Football Nation
January 6th, 2012, 06:40 PM
How about Chuck Priore?

Come on, bjtheflamesfan, show yourself! It's you! Admit it! xlolx

RichH2
January 7th, 2012, 09:34 AM
If Yale would just be a lttle patient Charlie Weiss s/b available soon.

Mr. C
January 7th, 2012, 11:59 AM
If Yale would just be a lttle patient Charlie Weiss s/b available soon.

Who would want Charlie Weiss? I wouldn't vote for him to coach my Pee Wee team. What a pompous buttock Weiss is.

RichH2
January 7th, 2012, 04:15 PM
Who would want Charlie Weiss? I wouldn't vote for him to coach my Pee Wee team. What a pompous buttock Weiss is.

A bit harsher but that was my point. Anyone but Dave

RichH2
January 8th, 2012, 09:46 AM
My prayers may be answered. Yale has just reached out to Karl Dorrell, asst coach with Miami Dolphins for HC position per Ivy Board

Lehigh Football Nation
January 8th, 2012, 10:44 AM
My prayers may be answered. Yale has just reached out to Karl Dorrell, asst coach with Miami Dolphins for HC position per Ivy Board

Again: Yale won't dignify their hallowed halls with a mere Patriot or CAA coach. xrolleyesx

DFW HOYA
January 8th, 2012, 12:10 PM

Circular referencing--the Ivy board is reporting a quote from the New Haven Register which is quoting a column from NFL.com which quotes a league source, which means it ends up on FootballScoop.com Monday. But nothing from inside Yale.

For Yale to go in this direction, and absent an interview, the search would then extend into and past the next recruiting weekend. Is Yale the last vacant coaching position at this point?

Bill
January 8th, 2012, 03:27 PM
Word here (San Antonio) is that Yale hires by the 12th...

Mr. C
January 8th, 2012, 05:39 PM

Karl Dorrell is one of the main reasons that UCLA's program is in such a mess right now. He started the Bruins down the drain before Rick Neuheisel.

Mr. C
January 11th, 2012, 07:11 PM
Yale just sent out a release saying a press conference is scheduled for 4 p.m. on Thursday afternoon.

DFW HOYA
January 11th, 2012, 07:40 PM
Kevin Kelly withdrew from the search earlier today.

http://www.hoyasaxa.com/sports/football.htm

Lehigh Football Nation
January 11th, 2012, 07:51 PM
Is Football Scoop right?

Sources telling us tonight that Lehigh offensive coordinator Dave Cecchini will be named head coach at Yale. Cecchini was a finalist this year for the FootballScoop FCS Coordinator of the Year.

Lehigh Football Nation
January 11th, 2012, 08:01 PM
They are NOT!!!!

http://portal31nhr.blogspot.com/

OK, let's try this again.

I got burned in a big-time way from a source who confirmed Dave Cecchini to be Yale's next football coach. However, I apologize for putting that out there before I was able to get a secondary confirmation. That same source got back to me to inform me that he was messed up and that it is indeed Tony Reno who will be named head coach.

Ivytalk
January 12th, 2012, 06:36 AM
If that's the Final Four, I'll bet Yale takes Reno. It may take signing a Harvard coach for them to beat Harvard. Look how the tables turned in ice hockey after Yale lured Tim Taylor away from Cambridge when he was Bob Cleary's assistant.

Winner, winner, chicken dinner!xnodx:p

RichH2
January 12th, 2012, 08:59 AM
Kevin Kelly withdrew from the search earlier today.

http://www.hoyasaxa.com/sports/football.htm

Congratulations we both dodged a bullet, as did both our coaches

carney2
January 12th, 2012, 11:38 AM
Yale and Lafayette should be forced to play each other home and home from now until h&ll freezes over. Each has an administration that views athletics as one of its biggest problems and an eyesore for the academy.

RichH2
January 12th, 2012, 11:43 AM
Yale Daily News confirms 4 pm announcement of Reno

bulldog10jw
January 12th, 2012, 04:15 PM

bulldog10jw calls it on 12/22/11 at 6:44 P.M.

Mr. C
January 12th, 2012, 08:05 PM
Is Football Scoop right?

Football Scoop is wrong A LOT, as they were several times here.

Ivytalk
January 12th, 2012, 09:34 PM
bulldog10jw calls it on 12/22/11 at 6:44 P.M.

Much as it must have pained you to do it!:p

Lehigh Football Nation
January 12th, 2012, 10:18 PM
http://lehighfootballnation.blogspot.com/2012/01/dave-cecchini-and-yale-coaching-search.html

Got a somewhat amusing blog posting about the entire misadventure. I think Yale missed out, and I'm not complaining.

bulldog10jw
January 13th, 2012, 05:20 AM
Much as it must have pained you to do it!:p

If he can manage to beat you guys once every 5 years, instead of 1 time in 10, I will have no complaints. xsmiley_wix

:D