PDA

View Full Version : Join Date: Dec 2011 My Team: Sam Houston State

TheBisonator
December 20th, 2011, 09:13 PM
Seems to be a recurring theme round here.

Talk about it.

NoDak 4 Ever
December 20th, 2011, 09:16 PM
I'm giving them little nicknames like my friend Trolly McBandwagon.

ChristopherBearkat
December 20th, 2011, 09:27 PM
I'll say it once and I'll say it again

It's not a bandwagon. It's a recovery from the dark times of He-who-must-not-be-hired.

And I'll bet you some of them have been on Katfans.com for a while, just not on here.

93henfan
December 20th, 2011, 09:31 PM
Sort of reminiscent of that D-II school that moved up to the MVFC a few years back. Forget their name.

NoDak 4 Ever
December 20th, 2011, 09:34 PM
yeah, it didn't take our fanbase 25 years to get involved.

93henfan
December 20th, 2011, 09:35 PM
yeah, it didn't take our fanbase 25 years to get involved.

It took 120 years for Delaware fans to become uninvolved, but that's a story for another thread.

kingkat99
December 20th, 2011, 09:38 PM
Sort of reminiscent of that D-II school that moved up to the MVFC a few years back. Forget their name.

The name slips my mind too which probably drives them crazy since they are Gods gift to FCS Football fielding teams so good mere mortals can hardly fathom what its like to be them...

NoDak 4 Ever
December 20th, 2011, 09:41 PM
The name slips my mind too which probably drives them crazy since they are Gods gift to FCS Football fielding teams so good mere mortals can hardly fathom what its like to be them...

Well, we are in the finals in our 3rd year of eligibility, so we have that going for us.

ChristopherBearkat
December 20th, 2011, 09:48 PM
I don't see why everyone is so surprised at the up-tick of Kat posters. The same thing happens on our board every time one of our teams gets really hot... basketball hits the NCAA tourney, baseball team wins multiple conference championships, and now football is righting the ship in just two seasons out from he-who-must-not-be-hired

GRAFTONBISON
December 20th, 2011, 10:15 PM
Well, we are in the finals in our 3rd year of eligibility, so we have that going for us.

4th year of eligibility, just for the record.

GRAFTONBISON
December 20th, 2011, 10:17 PM
Not trying to open old wounds, but some of us joined in early 2008 to participate in the "elimination game" and have just been lurking since.:D

Yep, that ought to get a few people that remember that fiasco riled up. :D

stevdock
December 20th, 2011, 10:34 PM
And there were a ton of NDSU fans that joined up also during the 06 or 07 years where we were obnoxious on here. Yes me included. No reason not to join while you have a good team, we'll just see who sticks around and who doesn't.

SammyHouston
December 20th, 2011, 10:37 PM

Uh huh. Yeah, not sure I catch what you are trying to get at.

cbarrier90
December 20th, 2011, 11:56 PM

Talk about it.

Okay...Texas boasts the following schools in FBS:

Rice
Houston
SMU
TCU
Baylor
Texas
Texas A&M
Texas Tech
North Texas
Texas State
UTEP
UTSA
Texas

Texas also boasts the following schools in FCS:

Prairie View A&M
Stephen F. Austin
Texas Southern
Lamar
and finally...Sam Houston State.

Not to mention the fact that high school football in Texas regularly draws tens of thousands of fans to single games, with 8 teams ranked in ESPN's Top 50.

Meanwhile, let's take a look at Division I schools in North Dakota:

North Dakota State University
University of North Dakota

...so, to recap, that's a school with a budding national powerhouse in football, and a school with college hockey as their #1 sport respectively covering the entire state.

NDSU, Montana, etc. regularly draw and provide some of the best environments in FCS. Great. That's supposed to happen. You're one of the flagship schools in the state, a rare find in FCS football.

Forgive SHSU if they've only just begun their ascent again as a draw in the extremely football-saturated state of Texas. If anything, the fact that many of their fans have developed an appreciation for the FCS brand of football in such an environment is a testament to their dedication. While it wasn't Wa-Griz or the Fargodome, the turnout and environment at SHSU in their semi-final was impressive. I hope that, much like ASU's run in 2005, this is a watershed moment for the BearKat program.

xcoach2
December 21st, 2011, 12:01 AM
I love the passionate FCS like the Bison and Griz but situations compared to Sam are completely different.

Twentysix
December 21st, 2011, 12:02 AM
By your count Texas has 18 Division I football schools and 25.15 million people.

That is 1.4 million people per DI football program.

By your count North Dakota has 2 Division I football schools and 0.7 million people.

That is 0.35 million people per DI football program.

/clap

NDSU would be crazy if North Dakota was 3 million people. We would be competeing with UT not with SHSU.

cbarrier90
December 21st, 2011, 12:07 AM
By your count Texas has 18 Division I football schools and 25.15 million people.

By your count North Dakota has 2 Division I football schools and 0.7 million people.

/clap

You and I both know that's not how it works in the world of college sports. That's just plain ignorant.

Twentysix
December 21st, 2011, 12:08 AM
You and I both know that's not how it works in the world of college sports. That's just plain ignorant.

Regionalism is exactly how it works. Find me 7,000 non alumni that are NDSU fans with a google maps distance of more than 350 miles from fargo.

If North Dakota was 3 or 5 million people NDSU would be in the FBS probably BCS and have a 60,000 seat stadium, UND probably would be too.

Regionalism and population has everything to do with it.

I do agree that SHSU is to texas what Dickinson State is to North Dakota.

xcoach2
December 21st, 2011, 12:10 AM

No, he has no idea. The Bison fans and their 'passion' jumped the shark a long time ago. Being a former coach that embraces all levels of football, I'd really like to appreciate their passion for their team. Instead they act as if it is some dick measuring deal. They have no idea the attention HS football gets here.

JMUNJ08
December 21st, 2011, 12:16 AM

/clap

NDSU would be crazy if North Dakota was 3 million people. We would be competeing with UT not with SHSU.

xlolx Come on now. By my count, Rutgers would be better than UT by a huge margin (only 3 D1 programs in NJ with the other two being Princeton & Monmouth...)

There are alot of different things pulling people in different directions in Texas. I never really thought that there were so many FBS teams in play with FCS and High School. It really is 1. FBS, 2. High School, then 3. FCS in Texas. Now try to figure out your stats again and see that NDSU & UND have an advantage over FCS teams from Texas in support...

SammyHouston
December 21st, 2011, 12:20 AM

Let's not bring logic into a discussion with these Bizon fans.

Twentysix
December 21st, 2011, 12:22 AM

cbarrier90
December 21st, 2011, 12:23 AM
Regionalism is exactly how it works. Find me 7,000 non alumni that are NDSU fans with a google maps distance of more than 300 miles from fargo.

Understandable that you probably went tl;dr on my OP, but NDSU is one of TWO schools in the entire state. And with little to no professional sports in the state at all, NDSU is one of only a few draws statewide for sporting events. I'd estimate that right now SHSU is somewhere between 5-10 in drawing power for college football in the entire state of Texas.

You do realize Texas packs 100000 people into DKR Stadium? That Kyle Field at A&M regularly packs 90000 screaming Aggies? These are not 17000 seat domes. These are giant cathedrals where the faithful worship on Saturdays. That's the way BCS college football works in Texas and the rest of the South.

Twentysix
December 21st, 2011, 12:25 AM
Understandable that you probably went tl;dr on my OP, but NDSU is one of TWO schools in the entire state. And with little to no professional sports in the state at all, NDSU is one of only a few draws statewide for sporting events. I'd estimate that right now SHSU is somewhere between 5-10 in drawing power for college football in the entire state of Texas.

You do realize Texas packs 100000 people into DKR Stadium? That Kyle Field at A&M regularly packs 90000 screaming Aggies? These are not 17000 seat domes. These are giant cathedrals where the faithful worship on Saturdays. That's the way BCS college football works in Texas and the rest of the South.

Completely.

You realize if Texas had a population of 600,000 neither of these teams could even draw 50k. Nor would either of the schools have the funds to build anything remotely resembeling(sp) cathederals. Devout cult or not.

KNUTS
December 21st, 2011, 01:27 AM

I went to DSU... for about 3 weeks!!

DJKyR0
December 21st, 2011, 01:54 AM
I went to DSU... for about 3 weeks!!

LOTS of college girls getting their tuition paid for up there these days, if you catch my drift.

Tod
December 21st, 2011, 03:19 AM
xlolx Come on now. By my count, Rutgers would be better than UT by a huge margin (only 3 D1 programs in NJ with the other two being Princeton & Monmouth...)

There are alot of different things pulling people in different directions in Texas. I never really thought that there were so many FBS teams in play with FCS and High School. It really is 1. FBS, 2. High School, then 3. FCS in Texas. Now try to figure out your stats again and see that NDSU & UND have an advantage over FCS teams from Texas in support...

Explain Nebraska, then.

Gil Dobie
December 21st, 2011, 05:43 AM

Says the henfan with a join date of johnny-come-lately 2006 ;)

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 21st, 2011, 06:34 AM
Completely.

You realize if Texas had a population of 600,000 neither of these teams could even draw 50k. Nor would either of the schools have the funds to build anything remotely resembeling(sp) cathederals. Devout cult or not.

I agree with this.

If ND had a popultion like Minny's (5.3 million), NDSU would be FBS. All of you that so otherwise have no idea what you are talking about.

NoDak 4 Ever
December 21st, 2011, 07:10 AM
I agree with this.

If ND had a popultion like Minny's (5.3 million), NDSU would be FBS. All of you that so otherwise have no idea what you are talking about.

Would it though? I mean St. Cloud State has more students than NDSU. It's the same size as SHSU. I suppose if it were a flagship school in a larger state it would have 30-50k students.

Look, I think this whole argument of "only game in town" is a real cop out by these schools who supposedly have a lot of fan support before. I mean it takes a good tradition and a long history of success to build the kind of fan support that we have. It isn't because we are the "only game in town"

Were all of you SHSU fans UT fans until they started being good? Come on, that's pretty lame.

TexasTerror
December 21st, 2011, 08:16 AM
You do realize that most (if not all) of the SHSU fans joining these forums presently are KatFans.com users? They are making their way to the national board to discuss the playoffs, championship game.

Think we see that annually come playoff teams with those schools making a run for the title game.

We're certainly seeing some more NDSU fans - a few new ones and a few that have surely not been active over the years until getting 're-active' in the last few weeks.

This should come of NO surprise...

Sam_Kats
December 21st, 2011, 08:57 AM
What does it even matter?? OF COURSE winning helps...no matter the level. Let the Griz or App St have 3 sub .500 seasons and we'll see what it does to attendance. Sure, they'll still be top 10 in FCS but that's the fan's way of either approving/disapproving of the product on the field. Katfans.com is a VERY active board - but until this year, with our playoff run, no one in Texas wants to hear the banter on THIS board about GSU, UM or anyone else. Just human nature. I don't think it should be a knock on anyone when they show up - as long as they have something RELEVANT to add to the conversation. Hell, there are certain people on here with 2-3k posts and I've YET to hear anything worthy.

paward
December 21st, 2011, 09:05 AM
It is going to be a long two weeks on this board, with these kind of discussions. Time off task is the number one reason I was opposed to moving this game to January.

Bearkat-Backer
December 21st, 2011, 09:10 AM
Were all of you SHSU fans UT fans until they started being good? Come on, that's pretty lame.

I have been a SHSU fan for about 15 years now. Most students that attend SHSU grew up in Texas so they know very little about FCS football when they arrive on campus. I have family that lives less than an hour from Huntsville that thought SHSU was a DII program until I went to school there. The perception of the casual football fan in Texas is you are either FBS (which they refer to as DI) or you are DII. Most know nothing at all about DI "subdivisions". Hopefully this playoff run can help inform some people through the additional media coverage it has garnered.

NoDak 4 Ever
December 21st, 2011, 09:11 AM
It is going to be a long two weeks on this board, with these kind of discussions. Time off task is the number one reason I was opposed to moving this game to January.

From what I read, Willie gave his boys off till the 28th. Bohl's boys are still encamped!

Sam_Kats
December 21st, 2011, 09:39 AM
The 3 week delay B L O W S ! ! !

Bison56
December 21st, 2011, 09:52 AM

Couldnt agree more. xpopcornx

ST_Lawson
December 21st, 2011, 11:36 AM
Explain Nebraska, then.
Nebraska has the Omaha-Council Bluffs Metro area (over 850k people) (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Omaha-Council_Bluffs_metropolitan_area) within an hour's drive and another 258k in Lincoln itself (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lincoln,_Nebraska) so ~1.1 million people.

I couldn't find a good way to get the #s for northwestern Minnesota, but the Fargo-Moorhead area has about 208k (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fargo-Moorhead) and all of North Dakota only has 683k (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_Dakota).

Lincoln is larger than Fargo, and Omaha is 4 times larger than Lincoln.

TheBisonator
December 21st, 2011, 11:40 AM
Nebraska has the Omaha-Council Bluffs Metro area (over 850k people) (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Omaha-Council_Bluffs_metropolitan_area) within an hour's drive and another 258k in Lincoln itself (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lincoln,_Nebraska) so ~1.1 million people.

I couldn't find a good way to get the #s for northwestern Minnesota, but the Fargo-Moorhead area has about 208k (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fargo-Moorhead) and all of North Dakota only has 683k (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_Dakota).

Lincoln is larger than Fargo, and Omaha is 4 times larger than Lincoln.

I didn't realize it's up to almost 684,000 as of 2011. That's pretty cool.

It was mired in the 640,000 range for about 20 years until about 5 years ago.

Professor Chaos
December 21st, 2011, 11:56 AM

Couldnt agree more. xpopcornx
I think the 3 week delay is much much better than the 1 week it used to be. Could you imagine the ticket panic that would be going on if it were 2 days from gameday right now. Booking flights, hotels, etc would be a complete cluster****. The teams have ample time to prepare and heal up instead of having to cram prep, travel, and media obligations all into one week. And the game is on a Saturday, when college football should be played, instead of on a Friday night (although it was still on a Friday last year).

I'm willing to take the extended wait and wade through the redundant and stupid message board fodder in exchange for the good things that the 3 weeks between provides.

FormerPokeCenter
December 21st, 2011, 04:20 PM
If ND had a population of more than 5 million, NDSU would suffer from a watered down fan base, as more colleges would undoubtedly be built, in response to regional demand from a growing populace.

We here in Louisiana have about 4 million residents, total......and we've got 5 FBS schools:

LSU
Tulane
ULM
ULL
La Tech

Additionally, we've got 6 FCS schools, another one considering it and a Division III school for a total of 12 schools playing football...

Grambling
Southern
Nicholls
Southeastern
Northwestern
McNeese
University of New Orleans (considering it)

Louisiana College (Division III)

Then there are a number of schools who play basketball and baseball only, like Xavier, DelGado, LSU-Shreveport, LSU-Eunice, LSU-Alexandria, Bossier Parish Community College, etc...

To think something similar wouldn't happen in NoDak is kinda naive....
I agree with this.

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 21st, 2011, 05:13 PM
Like I said, NDSU would be FBS if we had Minny's population. UND would probably be FBS also and maybe a school like Minot State might be FCS or even Mary. Comparing ND to LA if we had the same pop is apples/oranges, IMO.

We would be FBS...period.

SammyHouston
December 21st, 2011, 05:23 PM
Woulda, shoulda, coulda. Blah blah blah.

This thread has been severely derailed. And from an original topic that was pretty hypocritical and pointless.

Twentysix
December 21st, 2011, 07:01 PM
If ND had a population of more than 5 million, NDSU would suffer from a watered down fan base, as more colleges would undoubtedly be built, in response to regional demand from a growing populace.

We here in Louisiana have about 4 million residents, total......and we've got 5 FBS schools:

LSU
Tulane
ULM
ULL
La Tech

Additionally, we've got 6 FCS schools, another one considering it and a Division III school for a total of 12 schools playing football...

Grambling
Southern
Nicholls
Southeastern
Northwestern
McNeese
University of New Orleans (considering it)

Louisiana College (Division III)

Then there are a number of schools who play basketball and baseball only, like Xavier, DelGado, LSU-Shreveport, LSU-Eunice, LSU-Alexandria, Bossier Parish Community College, etc...

To think something similar wouldn't happen in NoDak is kinda naive....

This is the first logical arguement.

I don't think North Dakota would have any new schools tbh maybe another private or two, but they would all be bigger. North Dakota has tons of college's already at under 700,000.

Bismarck State College in Bismarck
Dickinson State University in Dickinson
Lake Region State College in Devils Lake
Mayville State University in Mayville
Minot State University in Minot
Dakota College at Bottineau in Bottineau
North Dakota State University in Fargo
North Dakota State College of Science in Wahpeton
University of North Dakota in Grand Forks
Valley City State University in Valley City
Williston State College in Williston
Cankdeska Cikana Community College in Fort Totten
Fort Berthold Community College in New Town
Sitting Bull College in Fort Yates
Turtle Mountain Community College in Belcourt
United Tribes Technical College in Bismarck
Rasmussen College in Fargo and Bismarck
Jamestown College in Jamestown
University of Mary in Bismarck
Trinity Bible College in Ellendale

Twentysix
December 22nd, 2011, 01:54 AM
Not to mention M state, Minnesota State University Moorhead, and Concordia College all in the Fargo Moorhead metro but located in minnesota. All 3 of these colleges are located within 10 miles of NDSU.

And Northland community college located within a few miles of UND.

I think if you include those 4 minnesota schools there are something like 25 or 26 schools in north dakota or within walking distance of a ND border.

I dont think ND would have 50 or 60 colleges if we had 5 million people.(roughly double the college/university(s) with about 10 times the people)

Could be wrong though.

semobison
December 22nd, 2011, 08:13 AM
Like I said, NDSU would be FBS if we had Minny's population. UND would probably be FBS also and maybe a school like Minot State might be FCS or even Mary. Comparing ND to LA if we had the same pop is apples/oranges, IMO.

We would be FBS...period.

But we dont and were not! Its going to be a long 2 1/2 weeks if we have to discuss this crap!

TheBisonator
December 22nd, 2011, 08:30 AM
But we dont and were not! Its going to be a long 2 1/2 weeks if we have to discuss this crap!

Not unless ND gets a quick exodus of 3-4 million people in its state in the next 2 weeks... :D

Twentysix
December 22nd, 2011, 05:36 PM

trolollolllo

caribbeanhen
December 23rd, 2011, 07:45 AM
You do realize that most (if not all) of the SHSU fans joining these forums presently are KatFans.com users? They are making their way to the national board to discuss the playoffs, championship game.

This should come of NO surprise...

your fan base does appear to have head buried in sand problem..... or stinkier places

caribbeanhen
September 7th, 2012, 07:50 AM
hey, where are you Sammy fans?? who the heck is Incarnate Word anyway?

katstrapper
September 7th, 2012, 10:06 AM
From what I read, Willie gave his boys off till the 28th. Bohl's boys are still encamped!

Bison have already played a game too. Kats had a bye week.

Also, I am sure that if someone was to go to Bisonville.com they would find fans that joined in December of 2011 as well.

bisonboone11
September 7th, 2012, 10:34 AM
Bison have already played a game too. Kats had a bye week.
Also, I am sure that if someone was to go to Bisonville.com they would find fans that joined in December of 2011 as well.Ummm.... I think you replied to a quote that was from back in December, talking about SHSU giving the players time off until December 28. This thread was from the playoffs last year.

DSUrocks07
September 7th, 2012, 10:55 AM
*Looks at title of thread*

<<<< *Looks to the left*

seems legit

Vitojr130
September 7th, 2012, 12:00 PM

Let's assume that UND and NDSU split the difference and the state is split evenly at 350,000 fans apiece.
That's 50% of the state per fanbase.

Now, let's assume that SHSU can attract a fanbase of 2% of the state of Texas (which is probably SHSU's true market share in the overall scheme of football). That is still a sizeable 500,000 fans. SHSU should STILL have a larger market share than NDSU, flagship or not. I wouldn't call it ignorant, but moreso closer to reality.

Nickels
September 7th, 2012, 01:42 PM
Let's assume that UND and NDSU split the difference and the state is split evenly at 350,000 fans apiece.
That's 50% of the state per fanbase.

Now, let's assume that SHSU can attract a fanbase of 2% of the state of Texas (which is probably SHSU's true market share in the overall scheme of football). That is still a sizeable 500,000 fans. SHSU should STILL have a larger market share than NDSU, flagship or not. I wouldn't call it ignorant, but moreso closer to reality.
nice completely pulled out of your *** 2% of the entire state "market share" stat...

katstrapper
September 7th, 2012, 01:44 PM
Ummm.... I think you replied to a quote that was from back in December, talking about SHSU giving the players time off until December 28. This thread was from the playoffs last year.

xlolx...

gotts
September 7th, 2012, 03:18 PM
nice completely pulled out of your *** 2% of the entire state "market share" stat...

Which stat would you like to use instead?

Nickels
September 7th, 2012, 03:25 PM
Which stat would you like to use instead?

dont use any if its going to be made up...

Sammy94
September 7th, 2012, 03:25 PM
Are we saying that every resident in each state is a football fan?

Nickels
September 7th, 2012, 03:27 PM
but if I had to make up one I would say 90% Texas/Texas aTm 10% (at most) every other school.

Nickels
September 7th, 2012, 03:28 PM
Are we saying that every resident in each state is a football fan?
exactly, a good portion of our state cant speak english...

Sammy94
September 7th, 2012, 03:44 PM
exactly, a good portion of our state cant speak english...

And that portion are football fans just the wrong football. The fact is, the FCS football fanbase in Texas is equal to the DIII football fanbase in other states.

Nickels
September 7th, 2012, 03:59 PM
And that portion are football fans just the wrong football. The fact is, the FCS football fanbase in Texas is equal to the DIII football fanbase in other states.

95% of "college football fans" that I discuss FCS with think its D2. The only fans of FCS teams in Texas are people directly or indirectly affiliated with said school and most of them even think its D2.

bisonboone11
September 7th, 2012, 04:45 PM
Why does anyone care about this? I could somewhat understand threads like this during the off season, but come on. Is there nothing better to discuss?