PDA

View Full Version : All Decade All Conference team

Go Lehigh TU owl
May 26th, 2006, 07:55 PM
Last year around this time i started a thread asking who was your teams best players at each position the last 10 years.Now, who do you think your conference's All-Decade team is? Being this will be the PL's 10th season as a playoff conference i think it makes sense.

A few nominations i know of, some i think are locks, spelling might not be correct. I put down significant info of players i know
QB- It has to be either Stambaugh or Vena in IMO, although this should probably be a tie. What both did for their respective of schools is still being felt today i believe.

RB- Jamaal Branch 1st Team AA (lock)
FB- Brett Snyder would be Lehigh's best Canidiate
WR(2)- A few off the top of my head; Corey Hill, Luke Grahm, Parker from Colgate, Jarvis Dudley, Phil Yarborough, Josh Snyder, Derron Braswell
OL-?? There's been some good ones though
TE- Adam Bergen 1st team AA (lock)
Defense
DL(4)- Lehigh's nominations- Nick Martucci (1st team AA), Mike Gregorek, Royce Morgan
LB (3)- Lehigh's nominations- Ian Eason, Bubba Young(Buchannon Finalist), Lafayettes Bennett (1st team AA), Colgates had a lot of good ones too, Nepa being the latest
DB (2)- ??
Safetys (2)- Lehigh- Abduhl Byron(1st team AA)

Kicker- ??
KR- I think it's either Abduhl Byron or Ari Confessor

ngineer
May 26th, 2006, 08:07 PM
Brian McDonald was 1st team AP All-American on the OL in 2000. Mike Gregorek was a heck of a DE. Jeff Santacroce was a stellar center--1st team PL two years running (01 and 02, I think).:read:

TheValleyRaider
May 26th, 2006, 08:30 PM
At the very least, Tem Lukabu at LB for certain. LB Jared Nepa, TE John Frieser and Geoff Bean as a DB should get consideration as well. And Lane Schwarzburg as Kicker. He made a lot of big kicks in '03.

I'm also looking for some of the linemen from the 2003 team, perhaps 13 knows them (and has a longer memory than 2003... :nod: )

cosmo here
May 26th, 2006, 08:40 PM
not a great last decade for the Leopards.

my nominations, if you go beyond a first team:

Dan Bengele (LB)
B.J. Gallis (SS)
Phil Yarberough (WR) - LC all-time leading receiver
Chris Royle (OL-C)
Kevin Moss (OL-T)
Joe McCourt (TB) - 2nd PL all-time rusher behind Erik Marsh
Blake Costanzo (LB) - maybe more dominant than Bennett

eagleskins
May 27th, 2006, 06:32 AM
Last year around this time i started a thread asking who was your teams best players at each position the last 10 years.Now, who do you think your conference's All-Decade team is? Being this will be the PL's 10th season as a playoff conference i think it makes sense.

A few nominations i know of, some i think are locks, spelling might not be correct. I put down significant info of players i know
QB- It has to be either Stambaugh or Vena in IMO, although this should probably be a tie. What both did for their respective of schools is still being felt today i believe.

RB- Jamaal Branch 1st Team AA (lock)
FB- Brett Snyder would be Lehigh's best Canidiate
WR(2)- A few off the top of my head; Corey Hill, Luke Grahm, Parker from Colgate, Jarvis Dudley, Phil Yarborough, Josh Snyder, Derron Braswell
OL-?? There's been some good ones though
TE- Adam Bergen 1st team AA (lock)
Defense
DL(4)- Lehigh's nominations- Nick Martucci (1st team AA), Mike Gregorek, Royce Morgan
LB (3)- Lehigh's nominations- Ian Eason, Bubba Young(Buchannon Finalist), Lafayettes Bennett (1st team AA), Colgates had a lot of good ones too, Nepa being the latest
DB (2)- ??
Safetys (2)- Lehigh- Abduhl Byron(1st team AA)

Kicker- ??
KR- I think it's either Abduhl Byron or Ari Confessor

Tell me you're hitting the yayo. First team, lock, is Adrian Peterson. You know, the all-time leading rusher in college football history. Your boy wouldn't even make my 4th team.

R.A.
May 27th, 2006, 07:01 AM
-Great idea... I'ma have to high jack it and take it over 2 the MEACFANS page.

Baldy
May 27th, 2006, 07:11 AM
Tell me you're hitting the yayo. First team, lock, is Adrian Peterson. You know, the all-time leading rusher in college football history. Your boy wouldn't even make my 4th team.
I believe you're the one hitting the yayo. What part of "your conference's All-Decade team" do you not understand???

The last time I checked Adrian Peterson didn't play in the Patriot League. : smh :

cosmo here
May 27th, 2006, 08:04 AM

R.J. Bowers of Grove City College is the all-time leading rusher in college football history. But he didn't play in the Patriot League either so much like Adrian Peterson, he won't make this list. :read: :rolleyes: :rotateh: :nono: xcoffeex

Pard4Life
May 27th, 2006, 11:12 AM
Usually when these all-time teams are released, they have multiple spots at running back 2-3, sometimes even four. I think the clear locks are Branch, Marsh, and McCourt.

WR - Gordie Lockbaum, Javarus Dudley

Kicker - Rick Ziska (but his career is not over yet! :D )

LBs - Costanzo and Bennett should get consideration

DL - Andrew Brown

QB... well I don't think Glavic would make the cut.. despite guady yardage and TD numbers, he sometimes was erratic and I think he had a low pass completion percentage...

..so for QBs I'd nominate Vena, Stambaugh, Chris Brown, and Kevin Eakin

..that's all I could think of right now.. I'll come back to it..

eagleskins
May 27th, 2006, 02:25 PM
I believe you're the one hitting the yayo. What part of "your conference's All-Decade team" do you not understand???

The last time I checked Adrian Peterson didn't play in the Patriot League. : smh :

Touche. Drunk last night.

Brad82
May 27th, 2006, 03:35 PM
Who was the red headed receiver from Colgate when they went to 1-AA championship? He is a must. Also,the OG and QB from that team belong on here. Along w/Branch. They are the best PL team of all time.

cosmo here
May 27th, 2006, 08:20 PM
Usually when these all-time teams are released, they have multiple spots at running back 2-3, sometimes even four. I think the clear locks are Branch, Marsh, and McCourt.

WR - Gordie Lockbaum, Javarus Dudley

Kicker - Rick Ziska (but his career is not over yet! :D )

LBs - Costanzo and Bennett should get consideration

DL - Andrew Brown

QB... well I don't think Glavic would make the cut.. despite guady yardage and TD numbers, he sometimes was erratic and I think he had a low pass completion percentage...

..so for QBs I'd nominate Vena, Stambaugh, Chris Brown, and Kevin Eakin

..that's all I could think of right now.. I'll come back to it..

P4L - last 10 years :) McCourt yes, Marsh no. Gordie Lockbaum's kid might be in college by now !! (he played in the Little League WS . . any HC fans have news on him ?)

carney2
May 27th, 2006, 09:27 PM
P4L - last 10 years :) McCourt yes, Marsh no. Gordie Lockbaum's kid might be in college by now !! (he played in the Little League WS . . any HC fans have news on him ?)

I don't have the precise information, but I'd be willing to wager that Gordie Lockbaum was a student at HC 20 years ago today. Even if I'm wrong by a year or two, he was 1980s and does not belong in this thread.

TheValleyRaider
May 27th, 2006, 11:14 PM
Who was the red headed receiver from Colgate when they went to 1-AA championship? He is a must. Also,the OG and QB from that team belong on here. Along w/Branch. They are the best PL team of all time.

The receiver you're thinking of is Luke Graham, already named in the first post. Chris Brown was the QB from that year, and while he deserves consideration, he may not even be the best Colgate QB in the last 10 years. That honor could go to Ryan Vena. 2 of the OLine from that year were All-Americans, Guard Marc Sclafani and Center Rene Vargas I think. They certainly should be considered.

Brad82
May 28th, 2006, 08:26 AM
Lockbaum played @ HC in 87-88. Does not belong on this thread. The PL did not even exist then.

Pard4Life
May 28th, 2006, 09:11 PM

Hmm... I seemed to have missed the timeline criteria.. so ok, no Lockbaum..

Pard4Life
May 28th, 2006, 09:56 PM
Ok, here is my all-time PL 10th anniversary team...

QB - Ryan Vena, Colgate; Stambaugh, Lehigh
RB - Jaamal Branch, Colgate; Joe McCourt, Lafayette
WR - Javarus Dudley, Fordham; Corey Hill, Colgate; Deron Braswell, Lehigh
OL - Chris Royle, Lafayette; Luke George, Colgate; Kevin Moss, Lafayette; Paul Clasby, Colgate; Mariusz Misiec, Bucknell

DL - Adam Lord, Bucknell; Andrew Hollingsworth, Towson; Nick Martucci, Lehigh; Mike Gergorek, Lehigh; Michael Ononibaku, G'town
LBs - Maurice Bennett, Lafayette, Tem Lukabu, Colgate; Jared Nepa, Colgate; Ian Eason, Lehigh
DBs - Abdul Byron, Lehigh; Jabari Garrett, Towson; Kevin Eiben, Bucknell; BJ Gallis, Lafayette

The Kicker - Matt Fordyce, Fordham (Clukey, Fordham; Martin Brecht - Lafayette also get my votes... Ziska has the range but not the numbers)
KRs - Larry Johnson, Lafayette; Abdul Byron, Lehigh (but since he already has a spot....) Danter Ross, Bucknell
Long Snapper... Pat Davis, Lafayette
Punter - Barry Cantrell, Fordham

Sorry PL folks that I had to put Towson players on here.. :rolleyes: Interesting that I could not come up with any Holy Cross players. Ari Confessor is the only I could think of coming close to a nomination... John O'Neil would if he played on a better team.

DemiGS
May 28th, 2006, 11:33 PM
R.J. Bowers of Grove City College is the all-time leading rusher in college football history. But he didn't play in the Patriot League either so much like Adrian Peterson, he won't make this list. :read: :rolleyes: :rotateh: :nono: xcoffeex

There seems to be some dispute about this from what I've heard from different people. Even this article seems to ambiguous about what Adrian's record really is.

http://www.i-aa.org/article.asp?articleid=32557

colgate13
May 30th, 2006, 08:13 AM
Great topic guys! I already did a little piece on this on my blog (link (http://colgate13.blogspot.com/2005/09/little-game-week-diversion.html)). It obviously needs to be updated with Nepa over Ron Hampton I think. Here's who I think needs all decade PL consideration from Colgate:

QB - Ryan Vena.
TB - Jamaal Branch.
FB - Daymon Smith (don't forget he was POY and AA)
WR - Corey Hill, Luke Graham
OL - Marc Sclafani, Luke George, Rene Vargas, Paul Clasby, Ken Kubec
DL - Alex Houston, Josh Sabo
LB - Tem Lukabu, Jared Nepa

Go...gate
May 30th, 2006, 11:05 AM
Lockbaum played for HC between 84-87 - 3rd in Heisman voting in '87.

PL began formal round-robin play in 1986.

Fordham
May 30th, 2006, 11:42 AM
Love the topic as well. Let me throw out the following as well as a move to nominate Adrian Peterson as an honorary PL member for the purposes of this thread.

Here are those from Fordham that I would say should be considered (some already included in some nice lists from our Lafayette brethren):

QB - Kevin Eakin

RB - Kirwin Watson

WR/Kick Returner - Javarus Dudley

DL - Aki Jones

LB - NaQuinton Gainous

DB - Tad Kornegay

P - Barry Cantrell

K - Fordyce, Clukey

For what it's worth, Fordyce and Jones are still bouncing around the NFL fringes and Eakin & Kornegay are playing in the CFL while Dudley is wrapping up a great first season with Orlando in the AFL.

Pard4Life
May 30th, 2006, 11:48 AM
Love the topic as well. Let me throw out the following as well as a move to nominate Adrian Peterson as an honorary PL member for the purposes of this thread.

Here are those from Fordham that I would say should be considered (some already included in some nice lists from our Lafayette brethren):

QB - Kevin Eakin

RB - Kirwin Watson

WR/Kick Returner - Javarus Dudley

DL - Aki Jones

LB - NaQuinton Gainous

DB - Tad Kornegay

P - Barry Cantrell

K - Fordyce, Clukey

For what it's worth, Fordyce and Jones are still bouncing around the NFL fringes and Eakin & Kornegay are playing in the CFL while Dudley is wrapping up a great first season with Orlando in the AFL.

I'd probably pick Eakin as a 3rd/4th against Chris Brown of Colgate. And I forgot about Jones, Gainous, and Kornegay... oops. But on that note, I'd probably add Kornegay to my list.