PDA

View Full Version : Is Lehigh Up for the Three-Peat?

ngineer
December 18th, 2011, 02:01 PM
Consider this a "hot stove" thread, as with baseball. While we chase rumours over recruiting, who's returning, and the endless mental gymnastics over scholarships, Lehigh has now reeled off 14 consecutive PL victories over 2 1/2 seasons. They had a large senior class (though a couple may be eligible for medical redshirts), and will lose QB Lum. However, a lot of skill people will return as well as a some excellent 'big guys' on both sides of the ball. Is Lehigh set for another PL title, and who is likely to be the #1 challenger? Most picked a close race this past season between Lehigh and Colgate. Yet, this was one of the most lopsided races in recent memory. Will the Mountain Hawks be 'odds on favorites' come August, or will someone step from the shadows to take the crown elsewhere?

carney2
December 18th, 2011, 02:28 PM
Why not? The Patriot League looks very weak in 2012 - even for them. There should not be a heavy favorite, so why not Lehigh...or Bucknell...or Colgate...or Holy Cross...or Georgetown...or Lafayette? It looks like a year where it's yours if you just want it a little more than the other guys.

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 18th, 2011, 02:33 PM
I think they have a good shot. The offense will once again be explosive assuming the new QB can play "well". Defense will be a major question mark but history has shown it to be the most consistent part of the team. Even when Lehigh was struggling a few years ago, the defense was still very good. The biggest question i have is depth. There's no way next years team will be as deep.

I think the OL will be outstanding. Hood will be first team All League. Imagine if McKenna does have another year left?

Early Prediction
1. Lehigh - lose a lot, return a lot
2. Holy Cross - most consistent program the last 7 years
3. Lafayette - will bounce back
4. Georgetown - lose a lot
5. Colgate - no real direction
6. Bucknell - lose a ton
7. Fordham* - we'll see

carney2
December 18th, 2011, 02:53 PM
When looking at a League that is up for grabs, check out the QBs. No one is looking like "the man" at this point.

BUCKNELL: Wesley will be a junior with experience, but needs to play at a higher level.

COLGATE: McCarney is very good, but good within the 'gate system. It is questionable that he can carry a team in the traditional QB sense.

GEORGETOWN: The senior, Kempf, appears to be the starter. Does not appear to be all-League caliber at this point.

HOLY CROSS: Taggart is gone, so your guess is as good as mine.

LAFAYETTE: There are 3 who look like they could be exceptional. None have proven much of anything yet.

LEHIGH: Colvin has a pedigree, but will essentially be a rookie senior.

If any of these guys steps up, I'm thinking you have your League champion.

Pard4Life
December 18th, 2011, 05:59 PM
We will be just as bad if we don't see a change in attitude and on-field intelligence. PL looks like a disgrace and I wag my finger at those (LFN) who continue to believe the PL is the best as it has ever been. The glory years were 1998-2005 and a flash of brilliance in 2009. Bucknell did alot with a little... maybe the Bison?

DFW HOYA
December 18th, 2011, 09:03 PM
4. Georgetown - lose a lot

Are you sure about that?

Offense: Returns nine starters (graduates TE, slot)
Defense: Returns seven starters (graduates Schaetzke, three in the secondary)

Pard4Life
December 18th, 2011, 09:44 PM
Right now:

1) Georgetown
2) Lehigh
3) Bucknell
4) Holy Cross
5) Fordham
6) Colgate
7) Lafayette

LehighU11
December 18th, 2011, 10:39 PM
Right now:

1) Georgetown
2) Lehigh
3) Bucknell
4) Holy Cross
5) Fordham
6) Colgate
7) Lafayette

Perhaps if the season began this spring with current seniors being ineligible. I don't see Lafayette having yet another down year, or at least not finishing dead last. Hell will freeze over before Georgetown and Bucknell are 2 of the top 3 in the PL, unless scholarships significantly changes some programs over the next few years.

ngineer
December 18th, 2011, 11:03 PM
Why not? The Patriot League looks very weak in 2012 - even for them. There should not be a heavy favorite, so why not Lehigh...or Bucknell...or Colgate...or Holy Cross...or Georgetown...or Lafayette? It looks like a year where it's yours if you just want it a little more than the other guys.

I tend to agree with you. Although some are returning QBs, I think who ever has a QB who really steps up will have the inside leg. I think Lehigh's defense will remain pretty solid with a good amount of experience returning (not necessarily starters) and that will be important early as Colvin or Bialkowski get their sea legs underneath them. I still think we'll be a slight favorite (assuming a healthy Barket), but there should be a jumble of teams hot on the trail.

Lehigh Football Nation
December 19th, 2011, 08:55 AM
We will be just as bad if we don't see a change in attitude and on-field intelligence. PL looks like a disgrace and I wag my finger at those (LFN) who continue to believe the PL is the best as it has ever been. The glory years were 1998-2005 and a flash of brilliance in 2009. Bucknell did alot with a little... maybe the Bison?

I'm not sure I've ever said that the current PL is the best it's ever been. Only Holy Cross came within a touchdown of Lehigh in league play. Most of Lehigh's PL games had Colvin start the 4th quarter.

I think everyone would agree that Lehigh's team was head and shoulders over the rest of the league - this year. The real question is, with the Mountain Hawks losing so much to graduation, will they fall back to the pack behind another PL team?

Lehigh Football Nation
December 19th, 2011, 08:56 AM
Hell will freeze over before Georgetown and Bucknell are 2 of the top 3 in the PL...

Better stock up on mittens. xlolx

RichH2
December 19th, 2011, 09:05 AM
Whichever team has a QB step up will be favorite. Right now toss up but Hoyas have the most returning so I would pin the target on their back. I dont count Lehigh out but we lost a ridiculous amount of starters and Lettermen , not to mention Chris

DerHoya
December 19th, 2011, 09:58 AM
Are you sure about that?

Offense: Returns nine starters (graduates TE, slot)
Defense: Returns seven starters (graduates Schaetzke, three in the secondary)

TE is returning per our conversation during a donation call. TEN starters...

CFBfan
December 19th, 2011, 10:12 AM
I think they have a good shot. The offense will once again be explosive assuming the new QB can play "well". Defense will be a major question mark but history has shown it to be the most consistent part of the team. Even when Lehigh was struggling a few years ago, the defense was still very good. The biggest question i have is depth. There's no way next years team will be as deep.

I think the OL will be outstanding. Hood will be first team All League. Imagine if McKenna does have another year left?

Early Prediction
1. Lehigh - lose a lot, return a lot
2. Holy Cross - most consistent program the last 7 years
3. Lafayette - will bounce back
4. Georgetown - lose a lot5. Colgate - no real direction
6. Bucknell - lose a ton
7. Fordham* - we'll see

the Hoyas return their entire offense, they lose 2 db's (Moore is back) and they lose 2 - 3 DL's that's not really "lose a lot"

Lehigh Football Nation
December 19th, 2011, 12:01 PM
While we're at it, Bucknell doesn't lose a heck of a lot either. Going from memory, I think they return 8 on offense, 7 or 8 on defense, right? Including the starting QB, of course.

They do lose those two fantastic "D" linemen, however, De La Rosa and Eden.

van
December 19th, 2011, 12:14 PM
the Hoyas return their entire offense, they lose 2 db's (Moore is back) and they lose 2 - 3 DL's that's not really "lose a lot"

That's the entire offense that had 10 first downs and scored 12 points against Lehigh. Yeah, they are the favorites next year.

carney2
December 19th, 2011, 03:59 PM
Lehigh should be the favorite with, I believe, the most All Patriot League nominees returning. The gap between them and what's next is paper thin however, and what's next is a mad scramble. You want odds? here goes:

Lehigh 20%
Holy Cross 15%
Everyone else 10%

That leaves 25% left over for you to throw anywhere you want.

van
December 19th, 2011, 05:02 PM
Unlike this year, I don't see a clear cut favorite right now. Agree with Carney, should be closer competition for league title next year. Which team re-tools the best, who had the most freshmen gems this year that are ready to break out.

For Lehigh I see 4 big questions. Can Barket come back from his injury 100%? Can the new QB run the offense efficiently? Does not have to be another Lum for team to win. Is there depth at D line? Are there O linemen ready to step in and fill the 3 graduating vacancies?

DFW HOYA
December 19th, 2011, 07:29 PM
Lehigh is the favorite until further notice if for no other reason than the schedule.

The Engineers get home games with Colgate and Fordham with a combined 20-4 record at home against these schools in PL play.

Georgetown gets road games with Colgate and Fordham. The Hoyas are a combined 0-10 on the road against these schools in PL play, and hasn't won in the Bronx since 1974. That's not to say they can't (this year's win over Fordham was its second since 1983 and its win over Colgate was its first in 10 tries) but it certainly gives the off-season edge to Lehigh.

Also, don't underestimate Fordham. The Rams will have 45 more scholarships than Georgetown does and some other number for the rest of the PL. A new coach could be just what it takes to get the Rams moving again.

Sader87
December 19th, 2011, 08:25 PM
Patriot League football in 2012......"the race to the bottom!!!"

NO ONE (outside of the Lehigh Valley) cares.

Bill
December 19th, 2011, 09:42 PM
DFW

As much I like reading about our dominance over Colgate :) , are you sure about your statement "The Engineers get home games with Colgate and Fordham with a combined 20-4 record at home against these schools in PL play." ?

Since 1990, I count Colgate with 10 wins over Lehigh - were only four of those at Lehigh?

DFW HOYA
December 19th, 2011, 11:16 PM
DFW

As much I like reading about our dominance over Colgate :) , are you sure about your statement "The Engineers get home games with Colgate and Fordham with a combined 20-4 record at home against these schools in PL play." ?

Since 1990, I count Colgate with 10 wins over Lehigh - were only four of those at Lehigh?

Per CFB Data Warehouse:

09-20-1986: LU 41, CU 39
10-08-1988: LU 24, CU 19
11-03-1990: LU 52, CU 7
10-24-1992: CU 14, LU 13
10-29-1994: LU 25, CU 22
11-16-1996: CU 30, LU 23
11-07-1998: LU 41, CU 22
11-04-2000: LU 20, CU 14
11-09-2002: CU 28, LU 14
10-30-2004: LU 21, CU 14
11-04-2006: LU 23, CU 15
11-08-2008: CU 34, LU 33
10-30-2010: LU 44, CU 14

9-4 vs. Colgate, 11-0 vs. Fordham at home

Bill
December 20th, 2011, 10:53 AM
DFW

Wow - thanks for the info. You know, I was there for most of these games, it's just I never connected the home field advantage thing!

carney2
December 20th, 2011, 11:26 AM
Lehigh is the favorite until further notice if for no other reason than the schedule.

The Engineers get home games with Colgate and Fordham with a combined 20-4 record at home against these schools in PL play.

Georgetown gets road games with Colgate and Fordham. The Hoyas are a combined 0-10 on the road against these schools in PL play, and hasn't won in the Bronx since 1974. That's not to say they can't (this year's win over Fordham was its second since 1983 and its win over Colgate was its first in 10 tries) but it certainly gives the off-season edge to Lehigh.

Also, don't underestimate Fordham. The Rams will have 45 more scholarships than Georgetown does and some other number for the rest of the PL. A new coach could be just what it takes to get the Rams moving again.

Unless the expected announcement of scholarships in June releases Fordham from the Patriot League dog house, their games don't count.

RichH2
December 20th, 2011, 11:35 AM
As much as DFW tries to shift the bullseye, it is firmly attached to the Hoyas.

carney2
December 20th, 2011, 01:19 PM
As much as DFW tries to shift the bullseye, it is firmly attached to the Hoyas.

I don't see them with a bullseye as much as I see them at long last credible. They are in the hunt and there are no crossed fingers by anyone making that comment.

DFW HOYA
December 20th, 2011, 01:22 PM
I don't see them with a bullseye as much as I see them at long last credible.

At least for a year or two. When the scholarship numbers are 60-60-57-57-50-45-0, a little less so.

RichH2
December 20th, 2011, 01:31 PM
DFW

Is it set in concrete that GU wont offer any merit aid at all? I recall one of your blogs talking about funding 15 schollies

DFW HOYA
December 20th, 2011, 03:06 PM
DFW
Is it set in concrete that GU wont offer any merit aid at all? I recall one of your blogs talking about funding 15 schollies

That was my idea, not Georgetown's. The University's president previously said that "I’m not supportive of moving to a scholarship program and I’m not supportive that Georgetown would follow the move that Fordham did and go to 63 scholarships."

Further explanation and context, below.
http://georgetownfootball.blogspot.com/2011/09/lost-in-translation.html

Lehigh Football Nation
December 20th, 2011, 05:44 PM
I think my latest blog posting might help in this discussion:

http://lehighfootballnation.blogspot.com/2011/12/football-season-over-but-accolades-keep.html

It shows all the first-team seniors and underclassmen on all the teams announced so far. I didn't include them all, but it does point out that Lehigh will be losing nine all-PL players this offseason (assuming no players come back for final years of eligibility), including a potential Payton award winner, and 3/5s of his offensive line. While Barket and Spadola return, QB and the "O" line are huge question marks as to whether Lehigh can "reload" or not.

The list also doesn't include Colin Newton (how did he not make all-PL?) who is a huge part of the heart and soul of the front seven.

ngineer
December 20th, 2011, 11:07 PM
I think my latest blog posting might help in this discussion:

http://lehighfootballnation.blogspot.com/2011/12/football-season-over-but-accolades-keep.html

It shows all the first-team seniors and underclassmen on all the teams announced so far. I didn't include them all, but it does point out that Lehigh will be losing nine all-PL players this offseason (assuming no players come back for final years of eligibility), including a potential Payton award winner, and 3/5s of his offensive line. While Barket and Spadola return, QB and the "O" line are huge question marks as to whether Lehigh can "reload" or not.

The list also doesn't include Colin Newton (how did he not make all-PL?) who is a huge part of the heart and soul of the front seven.

No question we lose alot. BUT we have a lot of experience coming back. Key will be Colvin/Bialkowski proving they are ready for prime time. A lot of guys got a lot of game experience this year and that comfort level of having already been on the field in game situations pays big dividends early in the season.

CFBfan
December 21st, 2011, 07:48 AM
[QUOTE=Go Lehigh TU owl;1755129]I think they have a good shot. The offense will once again be explosive assuming the new QB can play "well". Defense will be a major question mark but history has shown it to be the most consistent part of the team. Even when Lehigh was struggling a few years ago, the defense was still very good. The biggest question i have is depth. There's no way next years team will be as deep.

McKenna will not be coming back next season

Lehigh Football Nation
December 21st, 2011, 09:17 AM
I thought McKenna and Liebler were really, really good linemen, but I think the presence of Keith Schauder was huge for this year's team. You hate to put too much stock in versatility, but he was able to play every position on the line in his Lehigh career, including three different positions this year, and did so extremely well, I thought. While folks are raving about Hood and Lippincott, its a guy like Schauder that's going to be interesting to replace. Who's going to be that guy that can be plugged in and the "O" line not missing a beat?

I know of at least one Lehigh player that has a year of eligibility remaining, but it's very unclear as to whether he'll use it due to injury. Schauder is definitely not one since he was a 5th year player already.

CFBfan
December 21st, 2011, 09:27 AM
I thought McKenna and Liebler were really, really good linemen, but I think the presence of Keith Schauder was huge for this year's team. You hate to put too much stock in versatility, but he was able to play every position on the line in his Lehigh career, including three different positions this year, and did so extremely well, I thought. While folks are raving about Hood and Lippincott, its a guy like Schauder that's going to be interesting to replace. Who's going to be that guy that can be plugged in and the "O" line not missing a beat?

I know of at least one Lehigh player that has a year of eligibility remaining, but it's very unclear as to whether he'll use it due to injury. Schauder is definitely not one since he was a 5th year player already.

McKenna might have a year left (I'm not sure) but I do know that he's not coming back.....

RichH2
December 21st, 2011, 09:59 AM
Would be nice if he decided to return but unlikely . Ruley and Utt have been developing. Rugg will be very good if he can avoid injuries. Hood will be an A-A again injuries have slowed him down. Key , however is at OC. Douglas , a frosh, was 2nd string most of the year. Can he step into Liebler's spot? We lose too much experience to expect OL to be better but it will improve over the season. QB is the challenging issue. Can Dave coach, whoever steps in, to run an efficient O, if not a record setting one?

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 21st, 2011, 03:38 PM
Would be nice if he decided to return but unlikely . Ruley and Utt have been developing. Rugg will be very good if he can avoid injuries. Hood will be an A-A again injuries have slowed him down. Key , however is at OC. Douglas , a frosh, was 2nd string most of the year. Can he step into Liebler's spot? We lose too much experience to expect OL to be better but it will improve over the season. QB is the challenging issue. Can Dave coach, whoever steps in, to run an efficient O, if not a record setting one?

I think Bialkowski will be the starting QB. He's not very big, but does have a relatively strong arm and looks mobile. You could tell during warm-ups this year that he had talent. The eye test says he should be playing for Colgate. No matter who is QB i can't see them slinging it around like they did this year. If Barket returns healthy then Lehigh will have a tremendous RB duo. Ultimately i think he will given today's modern medicine and the amount of time he'll have to recover.

The OL will be solid imo. Last year everyone thought the loss of Rackley and Clerge would be a problem and it turned out not to be. I will admit losing Schauder will be a little bigger deal because of his versatility. He played all five positions at a high level. Like you said Rich, Hood's health could hold the key. He has ridiculous potential but needs to stay healthy. There's a reason he saw time in important situations as a freshman. He has the frame, a legit 6'6 290.

The key will be the front seven imo. I can't help but think the DL will be undersized. Maybe Newton can add 30 lbs. The schedule, hopefully, will prove to be an asset. Lehigh should be favored in all of their OOC games, even @ Liberty.

ngineer
December 21st, 2011, 10:46 PM
I think Bialkowski will be the starting QB. He's not very big, but does have a relatively strong arm and looks mobile. You could tell during warm-ups this year that he had talent. The eye test says he should be playing for Colgate. No matter who is QB i can't see them slinging it around like they did this year. If Barket returns healthy then Lehigh will have a tremendous RB duo. Ultimately i think he will given today's modern medicine and the amount of time he'll have to recover.

The OL will be solid imo. Last year everyone thought the loss of Rackley and Clerge would be a problem and it turned out not to be. I will admit losing Schauder will be a little bigger deal because of his versatility. He played all five positions at a high level. Like you said Rich, Hood's health could hold the key. He has ridiculous potential but needs to stay healthy. There's a reason he saw time in important situations as a freshman. He has the frame, a legit 6'6 290.

The key will be the front seven imo. I can't help but think the DL will be undersized. Maybe Newton can add 30 lbs. The schedule, hopefully, will prove to be an asset. Lehigh should be favored in all of their OOC games, even @ Liberty.

Chiagani is back at NT. He's a load and the strongest guy on the team.

Lehigh Football Nation
December 22nd, 2011, 08:54 AM
I think Bialkowski will be the starting QB. He's not very big, but does have a relatively strong arm and looks mobile....

Just a hunch, but I think Colvin is getting thrown under the bus a bit early. Expect a battle at the QB position, and the winner will be the starter.

carney2
December 22nd, 2011, 08:59 AM
Just a hunch, but I think Colvin is getting thrown under the bus a bit early. Expect a battle at the QB position, and the winner will be the starter.

I'm certainly not close to the situation, but until now I never thought there was any doubt about Colvin. What has he done - or not done - to deserve this treatment?

RichH2
December 22nd, 2011, 09:08 AM
I think Colvin has the position. It is his to lose. Mike is an excellent athlete , big with good speed and running ability and a strong arm. He has yet to show a consistent ability to make his reads. In tough spots has a tendency ,so far, to force the play. The caveat is that he has not run the regular O that much in game situations , mostly running his wildcat package. Q is whether he can run the O limiting his mistakes. Perhaps.If anyone can coach him up it would be Dave. Either way, BB will get on the field

Lehigh Football Nation
December 22nd, 2011, 09:12 AM
I'm certainly not close to the situation, but until now I never thought there was any doubt about Colvin. What has he done - or not done - to deserve this treatment?

As a "Wildcat QB", he's done the job, converting some running touchdowns in the red zone and getting a TD pass or three. But he hasn't been accurate, to put it mildly.

The thing is it's hard to gauge how he'd do as an every-down starter. Critics of his Wildcat work come from when they'd take Lum out and put Colvin in during certain situations. I think he would be a lot better as an every-down starter than most observers here would think.

RichH2
December 22nd, 2011, 10:42 AM
That's the exact Q for Andy. Can mike run the O efficiently?Too little evidence yet either way as the most of his time in regular O was garbage time at the end of games. We know he can hand off. BB will have to take position from him. My hope is that one of the Qbs steps up and takes the position

Southsider
December 22nd, 2011, 11:56 AM
Look, unless we can load up on big uglies and pound the line for 200 a game, we will be a pass heavy team. The current skill sets dictate that (wr's, te's, etc.) That said, I think BB will get a very long look. Either way though, Colvin will have a bigger role in 2012, starter or not.

RichH2
December 22nd, 2011, 01:00 PM
I would assume Poitier will also get a long look

ngineer
December 22nd, 2011, 01:28 PM
No question Colvin is an excellent athlete. 6'3", 235 lbs, strong arm and can run. However, he's been prone to turn the ball over in trying to force the issue at times. The game at NDSU was a classic example. So while he has all the physical tools to be a star, the question is whether he can run the offense, make the reads and pass (not just throw) the ball. I agree it is his position to lose, but he will be pushed by Bialkowski and Poutier. Andy showed two years ago it is a 'meritocracy' and whoever shows they are better will get the starting job. Even if Bialkowski would beat him out due to either better passing skills or running the offense, I would expects Colvin to be on the field in other options. But, for now, Colvin is the 'heir apparent.'