PDA

View Full Version : The NDSU Defense...

DJKyR0
December 17th, 2011, 07:22 PM
...has held three playoff opponents averaging 22.9, 35.7, and 37.3 points per game to 14, 0, and 7, respectively. Any questions as to how this unit wins football games?

Undeniably the backbone of our 13-1 record, bolstered by an efficient offense. Big reason why I like us in Frisco.

jackattack030
December 17th, 2011, 07:25 PM
They haven't faced an offense like SHSU.

stevdock
December 17th, 2011, 07:27 PM
They haven't faced an offense like SHSU.

LOL you are right but we've heard that before

ALPHAGRIZ1
December 17th, 2011, 07:28 PM
Stop Flanders and the Bison roll.

Nobody else can beat them and as I suspected earlier in the year SHSU is not as good as everyone thinks.

NoDak 4 Ever
December 17th, 2011, 07:29 PM
LOL you are right but we've heard that before

I know, right? That get's sooooo old. Go take a quick sampling of the GSU, Lehigh, and JMU threads and see how many offenses were supposed to blow up the Bison.

ngineer
December 17th, 2011, 08:16 PM
I've always lived by the adage the "defense wins championships". Yes, you have to score some points,but you cannot rely on 'track meet football". NDSU has show a very solid D. I think Lehigh would have put some points on the board had 'you know who' played as it would have taken away Bison's ability to blitz at will, as they did very effectively. But I doubt we would would have scored more than 14 and likely, less. Bison showed excellent lateral speed against GSU and that will come into play in corraling Flanders. He'll get some yards, and perhaps break off some long ones, but over the long haul I see NDSU being the stronger team, overall.

bisonwest
December 17th, 2011, 11:24 PM
What defense have the Bearkats faced that is like ours? I will take a great defense over a great offense every ******ing time. Flanders is pretty fast but he won't be enough.

Tribe4SF
December 18th, 2011, 05:26 AM
Very, very, very, VERY impressive unit. Showed their versatility, and ability to adapt yesterday. Preparing for GSU's TO, and successfully executing against it will have them very confident against SHSU.

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 18th, 2011, 07:16 AM
After having 12 hours to absorb yesterday's game here are my thoughts:

1. Bison defense was well prepared. Heagle was great but our Dline also played great. They fought off the "cut blocks" very well.

2. Jensen playing with the flu and "gutted" it out....total stud.

3. Fans. Wow!! What a crowd yesterday. Awesome to be part of it.

4. Georgia Southern is a very good team but the Bison are better.....period.

5. Bison are better than SHSU and will win.

caribbeanhen
December 18th, 2011, 07:35 AM
your defense was everything you said it was and more so, #20 is a player ...... as for the next game, after the Stoney Brook game I was sure that Sammy would be taken out by whomever they played the following week, and was even more sure Montana would whip em, and now there is no doubt in my mind that the Bison will take the crown....... so just don't get to overconfident

X-Factor
December 18th, 2011, 12:55 PM
Bison roll in this one.

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 18th, 2011, 12:57 PM
Bison roll in this one.

I like that quote from Apphole on your sig line.....classic!

Grizalltheway
December 18th, 2011, 01:01 PM
Even my Griz, who got flat rolled by them in the first quarter, managed to adjust and shut them down for most of the second half. I don't see the Bizon having much, if any trouble doing the same. xtwocentsx

Cleets
December 18th, 2011, 01:19 PM
Even my Griz, who got flat rolled by them in the first quarter, managed to adjust and shut them down for most of the second half. I don't see the Bizon having much, if any trouble doing the same. xtwocentsx

The Griz absolutely figured some things out...
And as much as I like the Griz Defense the NDSU defense is better - so if NDSU doesn't spot Sam Houston 21 points - they have a great shot at controlling the game

Grizalltheway
December 18th, 2011, 01:50 PM
The Griz absolutely figured some things out...
And as much as I like the Griz Defense the NDSU defense is better - so if NDSU doesn't spot Sam Houston 21 points - they have a great shot at controlling the game

Definitely agree they're better-don't think there's anyway we would have shut down GSU like that, home or away. That was just flat impressive. xbowx

Strommer10
December 18th, 2011, 06:51 PM
The Bison defense is the BEST defense in the country, hands down. This week solidified that. Now how they will handle SHSU, that's a different story. I like our chances if the defense continues to shine.

DJOM
December 18th, 2011, 07:20 PM
If you score, you may win...If they never score, you will never lose....DEFENSE wins championships.

DJKyR0
December 18th, 2011, 07:30 PM

For those keeping score at home, that's a 2-0 record against the SoCon for the MVFC.

NoDak 4 Ever
December 18th, 2011, 07:55 PM
For those keeping score at home, that's a 2-0 record against the SoCon for the MVFC.

I read someone on GSUfans say during the game thread something to the effect of "I'm glad we bought out the game or we'd be 0-3 against them"

made me smile.

McNeese75
December 18th, 2011, 08:57 PM
I keep hearing about this Bison D and with the three week intermission how they will figure out the SHSU offense and yada yada yada. Has anyone entertained the thought that Scott Stocker & Company have the same three weeks to scheme the Bison O? xcrazyx

344Johnson
December 18th, 2011, 09:01 PM
I keep hearing about this Bison D and with the three week intermission how they will figure out the SHSU offense and yada yada yada. Has anyone entertained the thought that Scott Stocker & Company have the same three weeks to scheme the Bison O? xcrazyx

It takes about 3 hours of watching film to scheme the Bison O.

OrygunBison
December 18th, 2011, 09:23 PM
It takes about 3 hours of watching film to scheme the Bison O.

That's exactly what I was going to reply with. Our offense is anything but complicated. We just run it right down their throats. Every once in awhile, there's an end around or a pass to the sideline or down the seam but regardless, pretty darn simple. Three weeks of preparation will do nothing more than if the game were next week.

Hammerhead
December 18th, 2011, 09:32 PM
It only took one week figure out the GSU offense and hold it to 7 points.

McNeese75
December 18th, 2011, 09:33 PM
It only took one week figure out the GSU offense and hold it to 7 points.

Blah Blah Blah, somebody turn off the broken record

KepGSU
December 18th, 2011, 09:36 PM
As long as SHSU doesn't jump ahead early like they did against Montana, 60% of the time I'll take NDSU every time. Really though, not that I'm saying NDSU will be trailing at halftime, but as long as SHSU has no more than a 14-17 point lead I think NDSU wins this one. I've always thought we (GSU) were fast on offense, but SHSU looked much faster than us when they played Montana.

NoDak 4 Ever
December 18th, 2011, 09:39 PM
As long as SHSU doesn't jump ahead early like they did against Montana, 60% of the time I'll take NDSU every time. Really though, not that I'm saying NDSU will be trailing at halftime, but as long as SHSU has no more than a 14-17 point lead I think NDSU wins this one. I've always thought we (GSU) were fast on offense, but SHSU looked much faster than us when they played Montana.

I'll be willing to bet it had a lot to do with how slow Montana was.

Sambow
December 18th, 2011, 09:50 PM
I read all this crap about how Montana " controlled most of the game". They spotted us 21 (we took 21). But when push came to shove and the kats rolled the dice on a HUGE 4th and one late, Flanders scampered for 20 yards. Everyone knew what was coming and it couldn't be stopped. As for the Fact that we go as Flanders goes, ask Montana State about that. They held him to under 40 yards and we still won the game 49-13. Don't count us out yet. We still have to play the game.

NoDak 4 Ever
December 18th, 2011, 09:55 PM
I read all this crap about how Montana " controlled most of the game". They spotted us 21 (we took 21). But when push came to shove and the kats rolled the dice on a HUGE 4th and one late, Flanders scampered for 20 yards. Everyone knew what was coming and it couldn't be stopped. As for the Fact that we go as Flanders goes, ask Montana State about that. They held him to under 40 yards and we still won the game 49-13. Don't count us out yet. We still have to play the game.

That's when I turned to my wife and said "If Montana can't stop a 4th and 1 for all the marbles, they aren't good enough" they weren't.

Grizalltheway
December 18th, 2011, 10:50 PM
I'll be willing to bet it had a lot to do with how slow Montana was.

Yeah...okay. Be sure to share that with NFL teams so they don't make the mistake of drafting Trumaine Johnson. xrolleyesx

X-Factor
December 18th, 2011, 11:05 PM
Haha
He is just an immature kid that runs his mouth way too much, but at some point in life you have to grow up and play with the rest of society. Of course, the SoCon is still a tough conference, but as it turned out we happened to humiliate it pretty good in the playoffs this year, which fits in quite nicely with his ridiculous statement.

steelbison
December 19th, 2011, 01:14 PM
Yeah...okay. Be sure to share that with NFL teams so they don't make the mistake of drafting Trumaine Johnson. xrolleyesx

One player a Defense does not make. Go back and watch the game. Your D looked slow....Sorry truth...

Thunderstruck
December 19th, 2011, 01:32 PM
I dont know if Montana looked slow or confused/lost. It took Montana a while to wake up. When they did SHSU had too big of lead. I am very impressed with Flanders feet. Very quick and gets going North and South in a hurry.

Bison56
December 19th, 2011, 01:32 PM
If the Bison shut down Flanders, then what?

Eaglesrus
December 19th, 2011, 02:05 PM
I read someone on GSUfans say during the game thread something to the effect of "I'm glad we bought out the game or we'd be 0-3 against them"

made me smile.

I'd have to disagree with that; if we'd played you earlier in the season we probably wouldn't have gotten an opportunity to play y'all a third time xrotatehx

NoDak 4 Ever
December 19th, 2011, 02:08 PM
I'd have to disagree with that; if we'd played you earlier in the season we probably wouldn't have gotten an opportunity to play y'all a third time xrotatehx

yes, I believe that was the sentiment. Now to make those Kat fans believers!

Eaglesrus
December 19th, 2011, 02:18 PM

yes, I believe that was the sentiment. Now to make those Kat fans believers!

Not if he thought we'd have ended up 0 - 3. Good luck in Texas!

Vitojr130
December 19th, 2011, 02:20 PM

Then SHSU's running game takes a huge hit. That's what.

ysubigred
December 19th, 2011, 02:22 PM
Might have pissed off their own coach Saturday xeyebrowx Just sayin... with a little help from the herd "D".

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7159/6497145493_09c0a1fa40_b.jpg

Sam_Kats
December 19th, 2011, 02:22 PM
Then SHSU's running game takes a huge hit. That's what.

Montana St "shut him down." Plan then shifts to Sincere. This "option" attack is nothing like GSU's gameplan. Much more diverse & Bell is a better passer than Jaybo.

whitey
December 19th, 2011, 02:25 PM
I know, right? That get's sooooo old. Go take a quick sampling of the GSU, Lehigh, and JMU threads and see how many offenses were supposed to blow up the Bison.

I'm pretty sure no sane person ever said JMU's offense was going to blow up the Bison. What us JMU fans were hoping for was our running game to eat up yards and clock while while keeping the NDSU offense off the field. NDSU's defense made sure that didn't happen.

NoDak 4 Ever
December 19th, 2011, 02:34 PM
I'm pretty sure no sane person ever said JMU's offense was going to blow up the Bison. What us JMU fans were hoping for was our running game to eat up yards and clock while while keeping the NDSU offense off the field. NDSU's defense made sure that didn't happen.

I was trying to give you guys a little credit. Relax.

purplebear72
December 19th, 2011, 02:35 PM
# 20 on the NDSU defense was a warrior...man he put it on the line! I was very impressed with NDSU; they can run, pass, have power, have speed, and they have one heck of a defense! Congrats to NDSU; I hope UCA can follow their lead coming from a D2 power to being an FCS power. The Sam and NDSU game is going to be a good one! I will be going to Arkansas vs K-State in the Cotton Bowl Jan 6th and I think I will swing by to Frisco on the 7th and watch the National Championship game. Should be a great weekend!

NoDak 4 Ever
December 19th, 2011, 02:36 PM
Montana St "shut him down." Plan then shifts to Sincere. This "option" attack is nothing like GSU's gameplan. Much more diverse & Bell is a better passer than Jaybo.

So far this year NDSU has shut down:

Shakir Bell
Chris Lum
Jaybo Shaw
Dominique Swope
Tirelle Rennie
Marquis Gray

Just throw them on the pile.

Grizalltheway
December 19th, 2011, 02:37 PM
One player a Defense does not make. Go back and watch the game. Your D looked slow....Sorry truth...

Did they magically get faster for the last three quarters? Yes, we got blown out in the first quarter, but it wasn't for lack of speed.

AmsterBison
December 19th, 2011, 02:38 PM
How about Sam Houston's defense? Man, statistically, they are just completely dominant.

NoDak 4 Ever
December 19th, 2011, 02:39 PM
How about Sam Houston's defense? Man, statistically, they are just completely dominant.

this is recopied from another thread but very pertinent to this one.

SHSU is scoring 38 ppg and allowing 22.6 ppg

NDSU is scoring 28.33 and allowing 7 ppg

Both teams met top 30 scoring offenses (GSU/Lehigh MSU/UM) and gave up 7 ppg and 20.5 ppg respectively

NDSU is allowing 52% less than its season average in the playoffs
SHSU is allowing 65% more than its season average in the playoffs

NDSU is trending up while SHSU is trending down. See Montana

eaglewraith
December 19th, 2011, 03:30 PM
So far this year NDSU has shut down:

Shakir Bell
Chris Lum
Jaybo Shaw
Dominique Swope
Tirelle Rennie
Marquis Gray

Just throw them on the pile.

In fairness Jaybo Shaw was never going to light you up. I was floored when he had that 33 yard run. He's more of a field general than a beat you with his arm/feet kind of guy. He's been good at getting the ball in the hands of the right person to make the play, except Saturday of course.

NoDak 4 Ever
December 19th, 2011, 04:07 PM
In fairness Jaybo Shaw was never going to light you up. I was floored when he had that 33 yard run. He's more of a field general than a beat you with his arm/feet kind of guy. He's been good at getting the ball in the hands of the right person to make the play, except Saturday of course.

No argument there. I guess I would lump Jaybo into the amorphous triple option attack with Swope having enough star power to stand alone.

eaglewraith
December 19th, 2011, 05:57 PM
No argument there. I guess I would lump Jaybo into the amorphous triple option attack with Swope having enough star power to stand alone.

That would be more accurate I think. I'm hoping Swope is mad at what happened Saturday, that's the first time in his short career he's been shut down like that.

I can't wait to see what he looks like after a year in the S&C program. He already looks like a GI Joe action figure, kid is a beast for being 18.

McNeese72
December 19th, 2011, 06:49 PM

Go watch the Montana St. replay on ESPN3. You'll see there.

Doc

Bearkat-Backer
December 19th, 2011, 07:24 PM
your defense was everything you said it was and more so, #20 is a player ...... as for the next game, after the Stoney Brook game I was sure that Sammy would be taken out by whomever they played the following week, and was even more sure Montana would whip em, and now there is no doubt in my mind that the Bison will take the crown....... so just don't get to overconfident

That was the kiss of death for the Bison.