PDA

View Full Version : Call For Patriot League Recruiting Needs

Pages : [1] 2

carney2
December 17th, 2011, 09:48 AM
With the Patriot League apparently going scholarship for the recruiting classes entering in the fall of 2013 (not 2012) - and this looks more and more like a done deal, to be announced in June of 2012 - this may be the last go-round for the Patsy Ratings. I'm not convinced that the methodology translates well to schollie football, particularly if the incidence of transfers increases. Anyway, I am requesting interested fans of the 7 Patriot League schools to post their versions of the top 3 recruiting needs for the current recruiting season.

LAFAYETTE:

1. DL
2. LB
3. RB

van
December 17th, 2011, 10:15 AM
Lehigh:

1. RB
2. DB
3. OL

DFW HOYA
December 17th, 2011, 01:00 PM
With the Patriot League apparently going scholarship for the recruiting classes entering in the fall of 2013 (not 2012) - and this looks more and more like a done deal, to be announced in June of 2012 - this may be the last go-round for the Patsy Ratings.

Don't you mean "most of the Patriot League..."?

Anyway...

Georgetown
1. DB
2. LB
3. QB

Dallas Demon
December 17th, 2011, 02:02 PM
Don't you mean "most of the Patriot League..."?

Anyway...

Georgetown
1. DB
2. LB
3. QB

I know Georgetown recruited and signed one of the Hebron High School players (Javan Robinson) last year.

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 17th, 2011, 02:09 PM
Lehigh:

1. RB
2. DB
3. OL

I'd go
1. OL
2. DL
3. LB

breezy
December 17th, 2011, 02:10 PM
For Holy Cross:

1. Linebacker
2. Offensive Line
3. Wide Receiver

Southsider
December 17th, 2011, 02:45 PM
For Lehigh:

1. PK
2. PK
3. PK
4. What Lehigh TU Owl said..........

DFW HOYA
December 17th, 2011, 02:59 PM
I know Georgetown recruited and signed one of the Hebron High School players (Javan Robinson) last year.

Yes, they did, and he's got some potential. Hoyas lose three starters in the secondary, so it's an overall priority.

Engineer86
December 17th, 2011, 04:06 PM
Lehigh

1. PK
2. DB
3. RB

Sader87
December 17th, 2011, 04:46 PM
1. Different league.

2. Games against schools HC alums and Massachusetts residents actually care about

3. Another Dom Randolph wouldn't hurt.

sgt smash
December 17th, 2011, 04:47 PM
After watching the game today... I would say refs.

LehighU11
December 17th, 2011, 04:51 PM
After watching the game today... I would say refs.

NDSU-Georgia Southern had Patriot League refs? I'm sorry for your misfortune. Just be grateful you don't have them week in and week out. They are beyond atrocious,

colorless raider
December 17th, 2011, 05:41 PM
colgate

1.rb
2.ol
3.dl

ngineer
December 17th, 2011, 08:25 PM
One thing Coen has focused upon is recruiting all positions across the board. That way you shouldn't find yourself with the shelf bare in any one particular area. Plus, recuiting for anyone position isn't aways necessary as, frequently, players who are very good athletes can transition to various positions. Frequently, TEs in HS become LBs and good athletic QBs become DBs. One of the few areas where a player who is recruited for a specific position stays in that area is WR, due to the nature of the body build and skill set. Otherwise, many of the other positions have interchangeable skill sets. After that caveat, there is no question in looking 2-3 years down the road, Lehigh needs PK help, followed by OL and athletes who can become DBs if RB doesn't pan out.

1. PK
2. OL
3. DB

carney2
December 18th, 2011, 12:57 PM
Lots of Lehigh opinions for a place kicker. I can't ever remember a kicker being on anyone's list before. Looks like an important recruiting year for Lehigh after what The Committee judged to be a poor recruiting class in 2011.

Other early observations:

I don't know how the Colgate machine moves forward without a Jordan/Eachus. Big recruiting year in Hamilton.

Lafayette is recruiting as much for immediate needs as for the future. Defensive front 7 recruits should log serious playing time in their freshman year.

The Committee still thinks that Bucknell has huge "needs," despite a better than almost anyone expected season. Not overwhelmed with the 2011 recruiting class. Need to seriously step it up in Buffalo to keep the momentum going.

Is Fordham looking at a huge turnaround? Most thought the talent was MUCH better than the record.

Georgetown continues as the enigma wrapped in a riddle. Recruiting has improved over the past two years and the cupcake schedule makes them look better than maybe they really are. Are they a contender in a League with no truly superior team?

Gilmore continues to amaze in Woo. Would be nice if he had a little more to work with.

In short, this last year of non-scholarship recruiting is critical for everyone.

DFW HOYA
December 18th, 2011, 09:06 PM
Georgetown continues as the enigma wrapped in a riddle. Recruiting has improved over the past two years and the cupcake schedule makes them look better than maybe they really are.

That soft schedule didn't seem to hurt them against Lafayette. Or Holy Cross. Or Colgate. Or Fordham...

carney2
December 18th, 2011, 09:36 PM
That soft schedule didn't seem to hurt them against Lafayette. Or Holy Cross. Or Colgate. Or Fordham...

Or Davidson. Or Marist. Or Wagner. Or Howard. Mega cupcakes all.

DFW HOYA
December 18th, 2011, 09:47 PM
Or Davidson. Or Marist. Or Wagner. Or Howard. Mega cupcakes all.

It was not the most difficult schedule but Georgetown generally doesn't attract major opponents because of the nonscholarship state of the PL and the lack of interest by many teams to play games to play at the MSF. Georgetown had only one non-conference home game this year.

ngineer
December 18th, 2011, 10:59 PM
It was not the most difficult schedule but Georgetown generally doesn't attract major opponents because of the nonscholarship state of the PL and the lack of interest by many teams to play games to play at the MSF. Georgetown had only one non-conference home game this year.

Unfortunately, that will be a continuing problem so long as the school doesn't want to improve things. You'd have to think that has some impact on recruiting.

carney2
December 18th, 2011, 11:58 PM

Which brings us back to the question that started this silliness: are they a contender in what appears to be a soft Patriot League or not?

van
December 19th, 2011, 08:44 AM
Which brings us back to the question that started this silliness: are they a contender in what appears to be a soft Patriot League or not?

No!

RichH2
December 19th, 2011, 09:18 AM
1.NG
2.OL
3.RB

TheValleyRaider
December 19th, 2011, 10:14 AM
colgate

1.rb
2.ol
3.dl

You could probably swap OL and RB, and maybe consider DBs as well, but that list looks pretty good

Lots of questions about this team headed into next year, that's for sure

ngineer
December 19th, 2011, 09:37 PM
I certainly think G'town is a "contender" (I feel like channeling Marlon Brando right now), by the simple fact they were a contender this year. With so much coming back, they have to be considered a contender. It would be great to see them get a better OOC schedule, but to channel some NFL coach, "You are what your record says you are."

RichH2
December 20th, 2011, 09:37 AM
Dont really care about hoya's OOC. In PL they will contend. If anything they will be a bit better next year as will Bucknell. Lehigh will come back to the pack. HC will as always be solid .I dont think Biddle will permit another season like last year. Pards, with the same issue as last season, a QB and an OL.

carney2
December 20th, 2011, 02:46 PM
Dont really care about hoya's OOC. In PL they will contend. If anything they will be a bit better next year as will Bucknell. Lehigh will come back to the pack. HC will as always be solid .I dont think Biddle will permit another season like last year. Pards, with the same issue as last season, a QB and an OL.

Pards' "issues" have changed. There is serious optimism at QB and even some optimism down in the trenches at OL. The biggest problems at this point are centered in the defensive front 7.

ngineer
December 20th, 2011, 11:16 PM
Pards' "issues" have changed. There is serious optimism at QB and even some optimism down in the trenches at OL. The biggest problems at this point are centered in the defensive front 7.

Curious. Seems to me there will be a lot of competition there. Shook did not look ready for prime time on November 19. In fact it was downright embarrassing at times. Whenever under any pressure he was way off the mark. Got flustered with clock managment. Looked like he was scared *****less outthere. So while I agree he has a nice arm, he's going to have to step up his mental game. Now, maybe you're referring to your ballyhooed QB recruit, but lack of game experience will be a big issue.

CFBfan
December 21st, 2011, 07:44 AM
I certainly think G'town is a "contender" (I feel like channeling Marlon Brando right now), by the simple fact they were a contender this year. With so much coming back, they have to be considered a contender. It would be great to see them get a better OOC schedule, but to channel some NFL coach, "You are what your record says you are."

of their 5 ooc games 3 are Ivies (Yale, Prnctn & Brown).....not too bad, a step up from last year.

RichH2
December 21st, 2011, 11:11 AM
Carney,
I think Pards will replace D losses more easily than fixing O. I would think one of the frosh recruits will get the spot. Ol has some good big uglies but has a long way to go to be a good unit

carney2
December 21st, 2011, 11:57 AM
Carney,
I think Pards will replace D losses more easily than fixing O. I would think one of the frosh recruits will get the spot. Ol has some good big uglies but has a long way to go to be a good unit

I disagree.

There is real talent - and lots of it - at QB. This will rise or fall entirely based on the coaching.

The OL Uglies are large and more plentiful and experienced than in the past few years. Note that I did not use the term "talented." That remains to be seen. Again, coaching will be the key, and that has been suspect of late. The "big name" OL coach needs to prove that he is a teacher and motivator as well as a foul mouthed screamer.

On defense the front seven was a total disaster in 2011, and without a huge infusion of talent, are not looking the least bit competent for 2012. We're not talking about "D losses" as you phrase it. We're talking about wiping them out and starting over. This will take more than a replacement or two.

The offense is creeping forward and there is hope. The defense is a nuclear disaster site until further notice.

Oh yeah, a large dose of attitude adjustment is called for. When a group of 80-90 guys just flat out doesn't show up as many times at this group did in 2011, there is something drastically wrong - something that replacement bodies and Xs and Os isn't going to cure. Here is my list of games that were mailed in this past season:

Georgetown (1st half only)
Harvard (2nd year in a row this one was blown off)
Bucknell
Lehigh (That's 3 out of the last 4 that were mailed in. If that isn't a signal that someone (Frank!) needs a big boot in the butt, nothing is.)

Fordham
December 21st, 2011, 01:35 PM
Linemen for Fordham

ngineer
December 21st, 2011, 10:49 PM
I disagree.

There is real talent - and lots of it - at QB. This will rise or fall entirely based on the coaching.

The OL Uglies are large and more plentiful and experienced than in the past few years. Note that I did not use the term "talented." That remains to be seen. Again, coaching will be the key, and that has been suspect of late. The "big name" OL coach needs to prove that he is a teacher and motivator as well as a foul mouthed screamer.

On defense the front seven was a total disaster in 2011, and without a huge infusion of talent, are not looking the least bit competent for 2012. We're not talking about "D losses" as you phrase it. We're talking about wiping them out and starting over. This will take more than a replacement or two.

The offense is creeping forward and there is hope. The defense is a nuclear disaster site until further notice.

Oh yeah, a large dose of attitude adjustment is called for. When a group of 80-90 guys just flat out doesn't show up as many times at this group did in 2011, there is something drastically wrong - something that replacement bodies and Xs and Os isn't going to cure. Here is my list of games that were mailed in this past season:

Georgetown (1st half only)
Harvard (2nd year in a row this one was blown off)
Bucknell
Lehigh (That's 3 out of the last 4 that were mailed in. If that isn't a signal that someone (Frank!) needs a big boot in the butt, nothing is.)

They better change those 'new' away unis from what they showed up in at Goodman. A 'bland' look gets a 'bland' performance.

carney2
December 22nd, 2011, 08:38 AM
They better change those 'new' away unis from what they showed up in at Goodman. A 'bland' look gets a 'bland' performance.

Weren't those the most God-awful things you've ever seen?! Look like crap. Play like crap.

RichH2
December 22nd, 2011, 09:14 AM
Whoever accepted that color scheme s/b chastised severely unless the intent was to avoid detection for Pards. Bland is an understatement

Franks Tanks
December 22nd, 2011, 09:22 AM

I liked them. However if we were going for a retro look, we should've went with the paw print sticker or the old Leopard head.

Also I do share Carney's assesment of our QB and OL. Shoop was up and down last year, and if he can give a consistent effort he will be a quality PL QB. We lose one OL starter, and have a some young guys who played well last year. We finally have some continuity there, and I expect much better results. If the line is a mess again next year it falls on Clayton as he has the raw material.

The DL and LB's do worry me. I expect Boles to be very good, but I don't know who else will step up at LB. The injury to Gill hurts. We need to get pressure on the QB next year. Basil was just ok, and we need Coscia to develop and me a serious pass rusher.

RichH2
December 22nd, 2011, 09:29 AM
A retro look? Honestly did not realize that. The old Pard head logo on helmet would have brought back some memories and made the unis a bitmore distinctive

Franks Tanks
December 22nd, 2011, 10:11 AM
A retro look? Honestly did not realize that. The old Pard head logo on helmet would have brought back some memories and made the unis a bitmore distinctive

As I understand it, the uni's were meant to have a "retro" look. Not exact replica's, but an ode to the past.

Ohio State did something similar. It was a nice idea that wasn't executed well.

http://killernutstailgating.files.wordpress.com/2010/08/2009unis.jpg

RichH2
December 22nd, 2011, 10:35 AM
Yup. I agree OL has pieces but has a ways to go to become a unit. Shoop too inconsistent for me . Perhaps he will get some discipline. Time better served I think giving one of your frosh the reins and let him develop. D front 7 reminded me at times of Fordham's "Chinese fire drill"D. Coaching and motivation are keys. Dont think your talent is bad.

DFW HOYA
December 22nd, 2011, 10:45 AM
95% of retro uniforms and helmets are a waste of time and a ploy to sell more jerseys, esp. in the NFL.

If Leh and Laf want to wear commemorative jerseys in 2014, fine. But not until.

Lehigh Football Nation
December 22nd, 2011, 04:43 PM
My official vote for Lehigh's recruiting needs this year:

http://lehighfootballnation.blogspot.com/2011/12/lehighs-recruiting-christmas-list.html

I keep going back to the fact that Lehigh has an awful lot of talent to replace next year.

Lehigh Football Nation
December 22nd, 2011, 04:44 PM
Weren't those the most God-awful things you've ever seen?! Look like crap. Play like crap.

Yes.

carney2
December 22nd, 2011, 07:16 PM
if we were going for a retro look

Retro? That wasn't retro. It was a blind man's idea of fashion. Gray on white! All due respect, you say you liked it, but, honestly, even the guy who buys the uniforms for the Oregon Ducks would have been ashamed of those things. This is a family site, so GHASTLY is the best I can do.

ngineer
December 22nd, 2011, 10:51 PM
Retro? That wasn't retro. It was a blind man's idea of fashion. Gray on white! All due respect, you say you liked it, but, honestly, even the guy who buys the uniforms for the Oregon Ducks would have been ashamed of those things. This is a family site, so GHASTLY is the best I can do.

Maybe they were trying to make a statement to Lehigh President Alice G(h)ast...(;-)

Franks Tanks
December 23rd, 2011, 07:49 AM

I certainly understand your opinion. I liked the general idea, but the execution was poor. We wore silver/gray pants in the 90's with white jerseys and I liked that look. Our current uni's are better, but the 90's uni's weren't the worst ever.

Engineer86
December 23rd, 2011, 11:14 AM
QB Danny Harding stay local, too bad DiBilio did not but there is whole other thread on that issue.

carney2
December 23rd, 2011, 01:21 PM
Getting back to the issue at hand - RECRUITING NEEDS FOR PATRIOT LEAGUE SCHOOLS - here's where I stand:

BUCKNELL
Need to hear from 137, KenZ or Joe Susan. C'mon, guys, hoops can't consume 24/7.

COLGATE
1. RB
2. OL
3. DL

FORDHAM
1. OL
2. DL
3. ?

GEORGETOWN
1. DB
2. LB
3. QB

HOLY CROSS
1. LB
2. OL
3. WR

LAFAYETTE
1. DL
2. LB
3. RB

LEHIGH
1. OL
2. DL
3. RB

Where there were multiple responses I tried to combine them as best I could. Oh yeah, PK was maybe a tie for 3rd on the Lehigh list. Just couldn't bring myself to pull that trigger.

carney2
December 23rd, 2011, 01:24 PM
QB Danny Harding stay local, too bad DiBilio did not but there is whole other thread on that issue.

According to the Mourning Crawl Harding is back in the mix at Penn State (their recruiting, just like the search for a head coach, is turning into a disaster) and also has other interesting suitors.

Lehigh Football Nation
December 23rd, 2011, 01:55 PM
LEHIGH
1. OL
2. DL
3. RB

Where there were multiple responses I tried to combine them as best I could. Oh yeah, PK was maybe a tie for 3rd on the Lehigh list. Just couldn't bring myself to pull that trigger.

I vehemently disagree with RB being the last need area. If anything, it's LB or WR.

RichH2
December 23rd, 2011, 03:14 PM
Well, I am not so vehement on LB given quality recruited last year. Looking at roster I was surprised to realize that WR is also a spot of need even with 3 quality kids coming up we only have 3 lettermen and 1 squad player at that position. Given all our 4-5 wr sets , we dont have much depth

Lehigh Football Nation
December 23rd, 2011, 03:36 PM
Well, I am not so vehement on LB given quality recruited last year. Looking at roster I was surprised to realize that WR is also a spot of need even with 3 quality kids coming up we only have 3 lettermen and 1 squad player at that position. Given all our 4-5 wr sets , we dont have much depth

Understood about LBs from your perspective. But at LB Lehigh loses an unbelievable amount of quality at that position - six guys that were all lettermen, including Groome, unquestionably the best Lehigh LB in the last decade and arguably in the MH time in the Patriot League, and Colin Newton, an every-game starter that also was a great player.

I also didn't think WR was a huge area of need until I saw how many graduate. I think Lehigh is OK for next season, but it's the season after that where one might wonder about the depth.

Engineer86
December 23rd, 2011, 05:03 PM
According to the Mourning Crawl Harding is back in the mix at Penn State (their recruiting, just like the search for a head coach, is turning into a disaster) and also has other interesting suitors.

From what I hear he will end up with a Patriot team or CAA team. But PA co-player of the year and All-state may change that. Until then, I had heard that LU was a strong contender. No offical comment on who is in the mix though. I do not believe much of what is coach says on anything.

carney2
December 23rd, 2011, 06:32 PM
I vehemently disagree with RB being the last need area. If anything, it's LB or WR.

6 people giving their opinions. Here's how it's going so far:

RB: a 1st and 2 3rds.
LB: a single 3rd
WR: Nada

van
December 23rd, 2011, 08:15 PM
Coen always recruits all positions well.

If you are looking for quantity, then OL, DL, WR and LB have the most Seniors leaving.

If you are looking for quality and a game changer, then RB comes into the equation. Same could be said for a PK.

ngineer
December 23rd, 2011, 09:48 PM
I certainly understand your opinion. I liked the general idea, but the execution was poor. We wore silver/gray pants in the 90's with white jerseys and I liked that look. Our current uni's are better, but the 90's uni's weren't the worst ever.

My HS had white jerseys with grey pants, but we had a wide red stripe down the side and red numerals which provided a nice contrast. The grey pants can work if they added some color somewhere. Same with the grey numerals--need to outline them in black or maroon.

ngineer
December 23rd, 2011, 09:52 PM
From what I hear he will end up with a Patriot team or CAA team. But PA co-player of the year and All-state may change that. Until then, I had heard that LU was a strong contender. No offical comment on who is in the mix though. I do not believe much of what is coach says on anything.

Word is that the twin wr's at Nazareth are interested in LU as well. With Harding in the picture, that would be an interesting trifecta if that could be pulled off!

carney2
December 24th, 2011, 07:19 AM

If you are looking for quantity, then OL, DL, WR and LB have the most Seniors leaving.

If you are looking for quality and a game changer, then RB comes into the equation. Same could be said for a PK.

Personally, I am not "looking for" anything other than a consensus top 3 recruiting needs from people with more than a passing interest in the program.

Lehigh Football Nation
December 24th, 2011, 10:08 AM

I know I've said this before, but I happen to believe the Lehigh LB talent leaving is of the once-in-a-decade variety. WR has all-FCS talent returning and some great talent that looks like it's ready to step in, but needs more numbers.

ngineer
December 24th, 2011, 01:13 PM
My sense is that depth will be the priority. While our first line WRs will be excellent, we need depth due to numbers needed to run our offense, using 3-5 receivers all the time. Depth at OL is next and depth DL. I think we have recruited well and have some decent LBs in the cupboard, so I don't see that as THIS YEAR's priority.

van
December 24th, 2011, 03:38 PM
My sense is that depth will be the priority. While our first line WRs will be excellent, we need depth due to numbers needed to run our offense, using 3-5 receivers all the time. Depth at OL is next and depth DL. I think we have recruited well and have some decent LBs in the cupboard, so I don't see that as THIS YEAR's priority.

There were 5 freshman LBs on the roster this year, so unless they are all slugs, I don't see this as a top 3 priority for this years recruiting.

van
January 17th, 2012, 10:35 AM
Bump - recruiting in full swing now

RichH2
January 17th, 2012, 11:09 AM
Bump - recruiting in full swing now

True, Board down until LFN finishes upgrade. Had recruits in this past weekend . Constant parade from now thru the end of the month 1st published commit Josh Chiasson D/OL 6'5 250 St.Mary's , Md A-S sm sch 1st team

ngineer
January 17th, 2012, 01:06 PM
Was a nice weekend to have the recruits with both Basketball and Wrestling showing their stuff. Wrestling match was excellent with throttling arch-rival Navy.

RichH2
January 17th, 2012, 01:35 PM
Yup, new offer for another QB James Few ** Plant Fl, us and Cornell . He's up this weekend to visit both

bison137
January 17th, 2012, 02:57 PM
Bucknell:

1. OL (this would be 1, 2, and 3 if allowed. BU lost 4 starting OL and don't appear to have a strong group of backup)
2. DL (Have a fair amount of guys returning but lost their two studs)
3. RB (Everyone returns but the top two will both be seniors - unless Jeremiah Young opts to play a 5th year)

RichH2
January 18th, 2012, 09:20 AM
Standard results ,so far, some new offers and 1 published commit. As usual, early news is mostly about kids going elsewhere. Today one to navy ,another to Penn.

Lehigh Football Nation
January 18th, 2012, 09:56 AM
True, Board down until LFN finishes upgrade. Had recruits in this past weekend . Constant parade from now thru the end of the month 1st published commit Josh Chiasson D/OL 6'5 250 St.Mary's , Md A-S sm sch 1st team

Sorry to mess up your recruiting with the board upgrade. It's going slow as molasses. I hope to be done by the end of this week.

RichH2
January 18th, 2012, 10:04 AM
Sorry to mess up your recruiting with the board upgrade. It's going slow as molasses. I hope to be done by the end of this week.

Not a problem for me I can keep track and most of recruiting stuff is in front of us, but the Bball guys are going nuts:)xeekx,

van
January 18th, 2012, 10:39 AM
Standard results ,so far, some new offers and 1 published commit. As usual, early news is mostly about kids going elsewhere. Today one to navy ,another to Penn.

What does Penn have that we don't?

Lehigh Football Nation
January 18th, 2012, 10:45 AM
What does Penn have that we don't?

Wharton? xlolx

RichH2
January 18th, 2012, 10:51 AM
Wharton? xlolx

According to article , Kelly sold by Wharton.

van,
as annoying as it may be dont expect to win many head to heads with Ivies. We get a few each year but lose the vast majority

carney2
January 18th, 2012, 01:04 PM
Back to the topic at hand, I now have at least one response from the supporters of each school. Could use a 3rd (in addition to 1 = OL and 2 = DL) from Fordham, but a good response. Thanks. It appears that in the opinion of our (not so) casual observers everyone should be after the big uglies.

RichH2
January 18th, 2012, 01:17 PM
Seems so. See what Kelly could do with his stockpile of skill kids once he got a couple of Hogs. Actually Pards seem best set on Ol at least for returning bodies.

ngineer
January 18th, 2012, 01:21 PM
I think big uglies are always a premium. You can have all the skill you want, but if there is no "daylight" to run to, or protection for the QB, it's worthless.

RichH2
January 18th, 2012, 01:41 PM
Just an observation.Susan cast a very large and aggressive net this year with recruiting.May yet yield some reults but so far Bison are not closing many deals ( not surprising in PL) . Some consolation I guess that they are losing out to better quality schools.

carney2
January 18th, 2012, 07:46 PM
As I recall, The Committee was not real impressed with last year's crop of Buffaloes. Another void will definitely not move that program forward, despite their on the field gains this past fall.

Southsider
January 18th, 2012, 08:24 PM
Just an observation.Susan cast a very large and aggressive net this year with recruiting.May yet yield some reults but so far Bison are not closing many deals ( not surprising in PL) . Some consolation I guess that they are losing out to better quality schools.

After watching Bucknell take down Lehigh on the court tonight, one thing is very apparent:

Bucknell = Basketball

Lehigh = Football

I, for one, am OK with that!

RichH2
January 19th, 2012, 08:22 AM
Yup, nice crowd for a change but again started out flat and were down double digits after just a few minutes. From then on team played well. Runs back and forth choked in the final stretch. Greiner seems to have forgotten how to shoot

ngineer
January 19th, 2012, 01:35 PM
Yup, nice crowd for a change but again started out flat and were down double digits after just a few minutes. From then on team played well. Runs back and forth choked in the final stretch. Greiner seems to have forgotten how to shoot

"Nice" crowd in terms of relativity. A Game like that should have at least 3,000 in the stands instead of 1,800. I saw last weekend that Lafayette also had a mediocre turnout for the Bucknell game. Just goes to show that, like football, athletics at PL schools are not on the general student body radar anymore. Pathetic.

bison137
January 19th, 2012, 03:00 PM
"Nice" crowd in terms of relativity. A Game like that should have at least 3,000 in the stands instead of 1,800. I saw last weekend that Lafayette also had a mediocre turnout for the Bucknell game. Just goes to show that, like football, athletics at PL schools are not on the general student body radar anymore. Pathetic.

And the reported 1795 appeared to be closer to 1500. LC had a much larger crowd (reportedly over 2500) - even without students on campus. In both cases - especially at LC - there was a significant group of Bucknell fans.

Go Lehigh TU owl
January 19th, 2012, 03:19 PM
Any word on RB/FB Moore from Southern Columbia? During the Single A state final the announcers said he was being looked at by a number of PL schools. He's a big kid who can run and catch at a pretty high level.

RichH2
January 20th, 2012, 09:32 AM
Nothing yet on Matt Moore. a very solid rb,much like Fitz . We have a bunch like that coming back. I would hope we get a speed back.

Go...gate
January 20th, 2012, 03:02 PM
Colgate needs special teams and defensive help, as well as some speed at receiver.

Tribe4SF
January 20th, 2012, 05:14 PM
Any of you Lafayette guys gonna make it to Williamsburg for the first ever meeting between the Pards and the Tribe?

carney2
January 20th, 2012, 06:17 PM
Any of you Lafayette guys gonna make it to Williamsburg for the first ever meeting between the Pards and the Tribe?

At this point I intend to be there. Lots of friends in the area to visit and sponge off of. Are you guaranteeing no hurricane alerts? How about a further guarantee that there won't be any shenanigans at Camp Peary so that I can get some sleep.

You are aware, of course, that our AD is a former W&M RB. Any indication that this connection was a factor in getting this contract signed?

Tribe4SF
January 20th, 2012, 09:28 PM
At this point I intend to be there. Lots of friends in the area to visit and sponge off of. Are you guaranteeing no hurricane alerts? How about a further guarantee that there won't be any shenanigans at Camp Peary so that I can get some sleep.

You are aware, of course, that our AD is a former W&M RB. Any indication that this connection was a factor in getting this contract signed?

Don't know if Bruce's connection to us was a factor, but I assume it was. He ran track at W&M in addition to playing football.

Cannot guarantee no hurricane alerts, let alone a quiet weekend at Camp Peary. Peary has been loud the last couple of years, particularly the few months before the raid on Bin Laden's compound.

You guys on here have an invite to visit the W&M QB Club tailgate area which is behind our Alumni House at Old St. Bede's Church. We'll get up in the Fall.

colorless raider
January 21st, 2012, 03:28 PM
Nothing yet on Matt Moore. a very solid rb,much like Fitz . We have a bunch like that coming back. I would hope we get a speed back.

You have targeted one fast rb from south Jersey. I bet you get him.

RichH2
January 22nd, 2012, 10:48 AM
Yup,I hope so too. Also 2 from Oh another from Fl. We were unsuccessful last year at that spot so I am hoping for this yearxprayx

The Historian
January 22nd, 2012, 11:42 AM
The Orlando paper is reporting today two Colgate verbal commitments from the Central Florida area.

K-P Duncan Brennan of Bishop Moore
OL Zac Sawin of Lake Mary, who was third team All State in 8-A, the largest schools division

van
January 22nd, 2012, 02:37 PM
commit from Maryland RB, DJ Kee. Appears to have some good speed.

RichH2
January 23rd, 2012, 08:13 AM
Also for Lehigh Noah Robb WR/S/LB 6'4 202 Central Cath

Coach Roberts must be appauded for the job he is doing in Maryland recruiting

Lehigh Football Nation
January 23rd, 2012, 09:19 AM
If you post links here for commits, I'll do my best to put up PL commit pages on my blog today.

Unlike last year, I'm going to make one for each PL team (yes, Virginia, even including Fordham).

I have a link for Central Catholic's Robb, but the ones from Florida would be real good too.

Part of this is so that RichH doesn't go bananas considering the message board migration is taking about a week longer than he (or I) wanted xlolx

RichH2
January 23rd, 2012, 09:40 AM
If you post links here for commits, I'll do my best to put up PL commit pages on my blog today.

Unlike last year, I'm going to make one for each PL team (yes, Virginia, even including Fordham).

I have a link for Central Catholic's Robb, but the ones from Florida would be real good too.

Part of this is so that RichH doesn't go bananas considering the message board migration is taking about a week longer than he (or I) wanted xlolx

:) Thanks, good idea, altho I have heard tales of some Bball guys getting depressedxrolleyesx.

Holy Cross and Fordham commits up to date on their sites. I'll stop annoying Pards by posting on their recruiting thread

colorless raider
January 23rd, 2012, 10:32 AM
http://thetimes-tribune.com/sports/wallenpaupack-s-steffen-to-continue-football-career-at-colgate-1.1261281#axzz1kIe0dYOy

colorless raider
January 23rd, 2012, 10:34 AM
http://www.tampabay.com/hometeam/blog/gaither-db-tyler-mccollum-commits-colgate/12447/

RichH2
January 23rd, 2012, 10:49 AM
http://www.tampabay.com/hometeam/blog/gaither-db-tyler-mccollum-commits-colgate/12447/

Congrats, just saw him on Rivals.

colorless raider
January 23rd, 2012, 11:34 AM
Where are the kids you posted elsewhere; Allentown Central,etc?

RichH2
January 23rd, 2012, 11:46 AM
Lu has 3 so far

DJ Kee rb 5'11 185 Berlin Md A-S big schools
Josh Chiasson DL 6'5 250 Clarksville Md A-S sm sch
Noah Robb WR/ S/LB 6'4 202 Allentown Cent Cath

All 3 are on Rivals and /or Espn

Andy
January 23rd, 2012, 12:33 PM
One Anthony Orlando, claiming to have committed to Gate. Presumably the WR from Liberty. Keep an eye on lehighvalleylive.com

EDIT: Orlando was named AS at DB

breezy
January 23rd, 2012, 12:36 PM
Currently, I am aware of 4 verbal commitments to Holy Cross.

DL Michael Galantini, 6-3, 255 (Pennsylvania). Scoutingpa.com.
LB Justin Todd, 6-0, 210 (Indiana). News reports.
OL Conor Hopewell, 6-4, 275 (North Carolina). Yahoo/Rivals.
K/P Connor Fitzgerald, 6-2, 195 (Indiana). News reports.

Lehigh Football Nation
January 23rd, 2012, 01:13 PM
This is great, gang. Keep 'em coming.

1standgoal
January 23rd, 2012, 02:20 PM
2012 Fordham Commitment List

Dave BarlettaNew Providence High School, New Providence, NJ
6'5", 205 lbs.
Halfback/Linebacker

Jared CraytonSaint Peter's Prep, Jersey City, NJ
6'0", 195 lbs.
Running Back/Linebacker

Tim DonahueHowell High School, Farmingdale, NJ
6'6", 315 lbs.
Offensive Tackle

Andrew ErenbergPeters Township High School, Peters Township, PA
5'10", 220 lbs.
Running Back/Safety

Ben JohnsonOrchard Park High School, Orchard Park, NY
6'1", 177 lbs.
Wide Receiver/Cornerback

Phazahn OdomBarnwell High School, Barnwell, SC
6'8", 234 lbs.
Tight End

Levon WilliamsFort Hamilton High School, Brooklyn, NY/Nassau Community College, Garden City, NY
6'3", 200 lbs.
Safety

JeQuillan BowersSYLVANIA SOUTHVIEW HS - Toledo, Ohio
5'10 175
Cornerback

Josh Padgett
6ft 3in 235lbs DE
ST CHARLES PREPARATORY SCHOOL

Lehigh Football Nation
January 23rd, 2012, 05:34 PM
Part One: Lehigh's Unofficial Commit List

http://lehighfootballnation.blogspot.com/2012/01/unofficial-lehigh-commit-list-for-class.html

(RichH, bookmark this! :D )

Andy
January 23rd, 2012, 08:40 PM
Today, DePaul announced a commitment.

In a press release put out by the school, senior defensive tackle Frank Wukovits announced he would play football at Colgate next fall. The 6-1, 265-pound East Hanover resident chose Colgate over U.Penn, Lafayette and Bucknell.

http://blog.northjersey.com/varsityaces/7908/scoops-on-football-wukovits-commits/

RichH2
January 24th, 2012, 07:54 AM
Part One: Lehigh's Unofficial Commit List

http://lehighfootballnation.blogspot.com/2012/01/unofficial-lehigh-commit-list-for-class.html

(RichH, bookmark this! :D )

Nice, thanks.

RichH2
January 24th, 2012, 08:15 AM
Gate picks up another qb

Chase Bender 6'3 185 Fl per Rivals and local paper

Bogus Megapardus
January 24th, 2012, 08:15 AM
Lafayette again will be doing its all-day live signing day broadcast (http://www.goleopards.com/gameday/lafa-signing-day-central-11.html) on February 1. Apparently, NFL Pro-Bowler and SF 49ers madman, Blake Costanzo '06, will be there to provide the entertainment. Recruits will be profiled in real time as the faxes come in to the second floor of the Bourger Frankosaurium.

http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/images/photos/001/536/260/137042893_crop_650x440.jpg?1327014891

RichH2
January 24th, 2012, 08:16 AM
Lafayette again will be doing its all-day live signing day broadcast (http://www.goleopards.com/gameday/lafa-signing-day-central-11.html) on February 1. Apparently, NFL Pro-Bowler and SF 49ers madman, Blake Costanzo '06, will provide the entertainment.

http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/images/photos/001/536/260/137042893_crop_650x440.jpg?1327014891

Tres cool

RichH2
January 24th, 2012, 08:28 AM
All 4 of LU's commits recruited by Roberts. I assume other coaches'areas will start appearing but Coach Roberts off to a fast start. Noticed that most of our published prospects 24 are from Md ( Roberts' area), next Fl with 16; Pa 14 ;NJ and Oh 9 each. Myriad number of States with 1 or 2.

RichH2
January 24th, 2012, 08:59 AM
Hoyas

Tres Barkdale WR/DB 6'2 173 Solon Oh per Cleveland .com

Andy
January 24th, 2012, 09:10 AM
RB Dan Brown Central Bucks South commits to Lehigh no article yet other than being listed as "committed"

carney2
January 24th, 2012, 09:28 AM
Lafayette again will be doing its all-day live signing day broadcast (http://www.goleopards.com/gameday/lafa-signing-day-central-11.html) on February 1. Apparently, NFL Pro-Bowler and SF 49ers madman, Blake Costanzo '06, will be there to provide the entertainment. Recruits will be profiled in real time as the faxes come in to the second floor of the Bourger Frankosaurium.

Here's hoping they have something to report.

Bogus Megapardus
January 24th, 2012, 09:54 AM
Here's hoping they have something to report.

Quietly disregarding the event and not having any coverage would signal "nothing to report." All-day Frank plus trotting out Blake Castanzo suggests at least something to write home about.

Unless they're thinking they can get away with all flash and no substance, of course . . . .

van
January 24th, 2012, 10:04 AM
Hmmm, flash and no substance from the Pards? Say it ain't so! xeyebrowx

Lehigh Football Nation
January 24th, 2012, 10:10 AM

Three comments:

1) So who does Mr. Constanzo love, on his T-shirt below his jersey?

2) Has he been spending some extra time eating cheeseburgers there in Berkeley?

And 3)

You HAD to show this picture of Blake lording it over the Saints, didn't you, Bogus?

DFW HOYA
January 24th, 2012, 10:13 AM
I may have raised this question in the past, but I'll ask it again--Georgetown can't release any names in February because they can't be admitted until April, and usually won't announce until may because accepted students could (and do) go elsewhere.

Has Lafayette (and/or other PL schools with recruit lists in February) already admitted the announced recruits by then?

RichH2
January 24th, 2012, 10:24 AM
DFW,

Not that much different at this point at any of our schools. Periodically we lose kids to Ivies in March and April. Heck , we only got Andrews in March after Yale took a LB from us. None of these lists are etched in stone. They are merely announcements ,usually by kids or HS coach, that particular athletes have agreed to attend your school( the vast majority do ) Situation will change next year, if merit aid for football approved. GU already has some kids indicating they want to attend GU. Difference comes when coaches announce their recruit lists. They have been admitted. GU seems to follow IL practice of delaying announcement until after official admission letters

DFW HOYA
January 24th, 2012, 10:27 AM
Situation will change next year, if merit aid for football approved. GU already has some kids indicating they want to attend GU

Won't be changing at GU, of course.

RichH2
January 24th, 2012, 10:30 AM
Won't be changing at GU, of course.

Not yet perhaps but I am an optimist that things will improve

Lehigh Football Nation
January 24th, 2012, 10:52 AM
Part 2: Colgate:

http://lehighfootballnation.blogspot.com/2012/01/unofficial-colgate-commit-list-for.html

It will take some time to get all the data up there since I'm going through the extra effort to get the videos posted as well.

As always, keep 'em coming.

EDIT: Sweet mercy, on Rivals I now see there are three I've missed! I'll add them shortly.

Bogus Megapardus
January 24th, 2012, 11:08 AM
Q: So who does Mr. Constanzo love, on his T-shirt below his jersey?

A: Grandma.

Q: Has he been spending some extra time eating cheeseburgers there in Berkeley?

A: I doubt it's organic sprouts and NAPA Valley Cabernet.

Q: You HAD to show this picture of Blake lording it over the Saints, didn't you, Bogus?

A: Seems fitting, now that you mention it.

GateRaider63
January 24th, 2012, 11:18 AM
Part 2: Colgate:

http://lehighfootballnation.blogspot.com/2012/01/unofficial-colgate-commit-list-for.html

It will take some time to get all the data up there since I'm going through the extra effort to get the videos posted as well.

As always, keep 'em coming.

EDIT: Sweet mercy, on Rivals I now see there are three I've missed! I'll add them shortly.

LFN, check my twitter feed (@colgatefootball) to see tweets/retweets with links to articles for Colgate commits. Off the top of my head I know there is K/P Duncan Brennan who is not on your page. He's got his own site with links to highlight tapes.

ngineer
January 24th, 2012, 12:33 PM
All 4 of LU's commits recruited by Roberts. I assume other coaches'areas will start appearing but Coach Roberts off to a fast start. Noticed that most of our published prospects 24 are from Md ( Roberts' area), next Fl with 16; Pa 14 ;NJ and Oh 9 each. Myriad number of States with 1 or 2.

Getting Robb and Laub from the Valley is great. Hopefully we can add one or two more from the offensive side of things. (;-)

RichH2
January 24th, 2012, 12:41 PM
Would be nice to get a wr or 2 from the Valleyxawesomex.

Franks Tanks
January 24th, 2012, 12:52 PM
Getting Robb and Laub from the Valley is great. Hopefully we can add one or two more from the offensive side of things. (;-)

So Laub to Lehigh and Orlando to Colgate. Sucks for us.

Both should be quality PL players.

RichH2
January 24th, 2012, 01:04 PM
So Laub to Lehigh and Orlando to Colgate. Sucks for us.

Both should be quality PL players.

I am quite sure Tavani has a very good class in hand. Dont think he would've set up such an extravaganza w/o one.

Lehigh Football Nation
January 24th, 2012, 01:16 PM
A: I doubt it's organic sprouts and NAPA Valley Cabernet.

Surely you jest... after all, he's of Patriot League vintage... n'est pas? xlolx

Franks Tanks
January 24th, 2012, 01:17 PM
I am quite sure Tavani has a very good class in hand. Dont think he would've set up such an extravaganza w/o one.

The last two years I felt we put together quality classes. We of course need to start seeing the result on the field this year- no excuses.

This year I am worried. We need a good class every year, not 2 out of 4, and I am afraid this class will be medicore.

RichH2
January 24th, 2012, 01:28 PM
The last two years I felt we put together quality classes. We of course need to start seeing the result on the field this year- no excuses.

This year I am worried. We need a good class every year, not 2 out of 4, and I am afraid this class will be medicore.

Hell Franks , we are all at that stage. Everyday see kids on your list signing everywhere but with you. Dont forget no matter how diligent we are , we wont know the majority of recruits until Coaches announce and as we Plers know that is subject to raids from CAA and IL

For LU we lose 25 seniors and a tremendous amount of talent. We have had decent recruits last 2 yrs but we need an outstanding class this year.

Go Lehigh TU owl
January 24th, 2012, 01:34 PM

The local kids help put butts in the seats. One of the things that has hurt attendance imo, is the lack of local kids coming to Lehigh. I'm sure there's a solid group of players in the LV that will be difference makers at the FCS level.

There was a period of about 5 years when Lehigh cleaned up at Becha.

Go Lehigh TU owl
January 24th, 2012, 01:39 PM
Not much from the Scranton area besides Galantini. He's a big kid who played againt mediocre competition.

I still don't understand why this area can't compete on the state level in high school football.

Go Lehigh TU owl
January 24th, 2012, 01:51 PM
Not sure if this was posted, article from today.

Wallenpaupack's Victor Steffen to Colgate. He had interest in Lafayette, Bucknell and Gettysburg.

http://thetimes-tribune.com/sports/wallenpaupack-s-steffen-to-continue-football-career-at-colgate-1.1261281#axzz1kPIcHOLZ

Doc QB
January 24th, 2012, 01:52 PM
Not much from the Scranton area besides Galantini. He's a big kid who played againt mediocre competition.

I still don't understand why this area can't compete on the state level in high school football.
Not sure where u r going with that comment....Central, Liberty, Nazereth, Easton have made some statewide noise the past decade, havent they???

Go Lehigh TU owl
January 24th, 2012, 01:54 PM
Not sure where u r going with that comment....Central, Liberty, Nazereth, Easton have made some statewide noise the past decade, havent they???

I'm referring to the Scranton/Wilkes-Barre area.

Riverside has done well at the Single A level. Besides that, nothing.

RichH2
January 24th, 2012, 01:56 PM
Doc , The LV and Scranton areas close but not the same.

Anyhow

Bucknell got Robert Naylor O/DL6'5 235 Bangor Pa per local paper

Doc QB
January 24th, 2012, 02:01 PM

My bad....i misread, thought u meant this area as Bethlehem, which consequeny is where I am from. Liberty, too.

Go Lehigh TU owl
January 24th, 2012, 02:01 PM

Anyhow

So far 4 local guys to FCS schools, 3 from Valley View
Lalli - Colgate, has some big play ability.
Gallantini - Holy Cross, he has the frame but will be going up against much bigger OL in college.
Cicilioni - Columbia
Chollette, West Scranton - UNH, this kid will be a contributor, was recruited by Lehigh, Lafayette, Colgate, Army and Bucknell

RichH2
January 24th, 2012, 02:07 PM
So far 3 local guys to FCS schools
Gallantini - Holy Cross, he has the frame but will be going up against much bigger OL in college.
Cicilioni - Columbia
Chollette - UNH, this kid will be a contributor, was recruited by Lehigh, Lafayette, Colgate, Army and Bucknell

It will take Gallantini a few years to get up to FCS level . Cholette a big miss for us. He can play now and play well

Lehigh Football Nation
January 24th, 2012, 02:25 PM
LFN, check my twitter feed (@colgatefootball) to see tweets/retweets with links to articles for Colgate commits. Off the top of my head I know there is K/P Duncan Brennan who is not on your page. He's got his own site with links to highlight tapes.

Thanks! I added all your updates.

Franks Tanks
January 24th, 2012, 03:22 PM

How big is Abington Heights, WVW, and other "good" AAAA schools in District 2? Most of the big schools in the Lehigh Valley are at or over 2,000 students. I suspect the AAAA schools in NEPA aren't quite as large. Also NEPA has lacked the explosive athletes. They produce good LB's and lineman, but the big time skill guys seem few and far between.

This year NEPA does have some talent however with Wartman and the other PSU commit from WVW.

TheValleyRaider
January 24th, 2012, 05:30 PM

Makes sense, not like he's busy for the next couple of weeks :D

I had forgotten he was a Lafayette man. Nice to see a PL guy sticking around in the NFL xthumbsupx

ngineer
January 24th, 2012, 07:23 PM
It will take Gallantini a few years to get up to FCS level . Cholette a big miss for us. He can play now and play well

Another loss to UNH...Every year we lose a recruit or two to the Wildcats it seems. Scholarships would definitely help in that department.

Lehigh Football Nation
January 24th, 2012, 07:46 PM
RB Dan Brown Central Bucks South commits to Lehigh no article yet other than being listed as "committed"

Got him! He "committed" on Twitter:

https://twitter.com/#!/DBrown_6/status/161157044173418498/photo/1

Lehigh Football Nation
January 24th, 2012, 07:49 PM
Part 3: Holy Cross

http://lehighfootballnation.blogspot.com/2012/01/unofficial-holy-cross-commit-list-for.html

These are coming in no particular order. Next up will likely be Fordham and Lafayette, respectively, since they're likely to announce on signing day!

Andy
January 24th, 2012, 09:11 PM
another FL commit for Gate - Cameron Buttermore LB rivals

RichH2
January 25th, 2012, 07:46 AM
Scooped again. I've got to Stop sleeping at night. Brown ,magnificent pick up.Seems LU loves to get recruits who lose their Junior yr to an injury ala Lum

A mini update

Mike Tate LB ( 6'0 190) Plant Fl Between LU and Cornell, Joining J.Few also LU and Cornell , Now adds Yale

Jamel Smith rb New Egypt NJ had visit this past weekend.

Depressing lost another to IL, Zack Wilk OL Harrisburg to Cornell

Go Lehigh TU owl
January 25th, 2012, 01:39 PM
How big is Abington Heights, WVW, and other "good" AAAA schools in District 2? Most of the big schools in the Lehigh Valley are at or over 2,000 students. I suspect the AAAA schools in NEPA aren't quite as large. Also NEPA has lacked the explosive athletes. They produce good LB's and lineman, but the big time skill guys seem few and far between.

This year NEPA does have some talent however with Wartman and the other PSU commit from WVW.

- Abington Heights, where i went to HS, has about 1,150 students. We've recently dropped down to 3A, it hasn't made much of a difference.
- WVW is 4A and has a listed enrollment of 1482
- Scranton is pretty big, listed at 1,900.
- West Scranton, 1,300 3A, produces the most talent, McGloin PSU, Hubbie Graham Pitt, Shrive PSU, Chollette UNH, yet struggles to get over .500.

Dunmore 2A and Riverside 1A are the two schools that have proven the ability to compete on the state level.

Lehigh Football Nation
January 25th, 2012, 04:22 PM
Finally getting down to brass tacks with Fordham, and I must say I'm a bit struck that two of the commitments that came before coach Masella was dismissed. There's nothing to say that they're not going to Fordham, but what is a soft verbal worth in this case?

I'm going to include them, since I have no evidence to the contrary that they're going elsewhere.

Actually, MANY of their soft commits came when Masella was head coach, at least five.

The Historian
January 26th, 2012, 05:52 AM
The Orlando paper is resorting today that Mat Verdon, a defensive lineman, of Timber Creek high school has verbally committed to Lehigh. No other information in the paper, just that.

Elsewhere on the web he is listed as 6'-5" and 205. He needs to spend time in the weight room or be moved to linebacker.

Lehigh Football Nation
January 26th, 2012, 09:25 AM
Fordham is done:

http://lehighfootballnation.blogspot.com/2012/01/unofficial-fordham-commit-list-for.html

I'm very struck as to how many of these kids committed before Masella left. It seems like Woodhead is very persuasive in pulling in recruits, but it seems to me that he must have had some work to do to keep the existing recruits at Fordham. In many ways, the announced players are Masella's class.

RichH2
January 26th, 2012, 09:33 AM
Verdon Timber Creek HS Fla very quick athletic player. On North-South All-Starsquad. Nice catch Historian

A little research, A-S(8A) 2nd team. He is essentially an OLB froma 3-4 system

GateRaider63
January 26th, 2012, 10:41 AM
RB Demetrius Russell commits to Colgate. Seems like he could be a good one. http://www.tampabay.com/hometeam/blog/former-jefferson-rb-demetrius-russell-commits-colgate/12508/

RichH2
January 26th, 2012, 01:15 PM
Pl seems to be doing Ok so far,some very good gets. IL having a banner year very depressing. Lots of ** and even some *** recruits. Scholarships cant come soon enuf

carney2
January 26th, 2012, 03:15 PM
Pl seems to be doing Ok so far,some very good gets. IL having a banner year very depressing. Lots of ** and even some *** recruits. Scholarships cant come soon enuf

I need someone to explain to me (again) why scholarships will be the great savior. Here is what I see

1. Scholarships will replace equivalencies and there will not be all that much (if any) additional money to spread around.
2. The Patriot League will, in all probability, still be working under some version of the Ivy wannabe AI.
3. A recruit's choice between let's say Harvard, and let's say Lehigh is still the same no brainer for most kids and their advisers because it will not be a financial decision in most cases, scholarships or no.

It would appear that the pool of available talent expands by some small amount - let's say 1/3 - but the choice between a Patriot and an Ivy school still is the same basic decision. Whatever advantage there may be comes against non-Ivy schools such as the CAA where we get on to something of a level playing field as long as the kid meets the AI threshold.

Andy
January 26th, 2012, 03:48 PM
stumbled onto this - John Turner, RB/LB, Ridgefield, CT Holy Cross NH Register

van
January 26th, 2012, 03:53 PM
I need someone to explain to me (again) why scholarships will be the great savior. Here is what I see

1. Scholarships will replace equivalencies and there will not be all that much (if any) additional money to spread around.
2. The Patriot League will, in all probability, still be working under some version of the Ivy wannabe AI.
3. A recruit's choice between let's say Harvard, and let's say Lehigh is still the same no brainer for most kids and their advisers because it will not be a financial decision in most cases, scholarships or no.

It would appear that the pool of available talent expands by some small amount - let's say 1/3 - but the choice between a Patriot and an Ivy school still is the same basic decision. Whatever advantage there may be comes against non-Ivy schools such as the CAA where we get on to something of a level playing field as long as the kid meets the AI threshold.

Disagree with item 3. Athlete with family income of say $100K can get a free ride to H-Y-P but much less to a PL school.

Fordham
January 26th, 2012, 08:01 PM

For the most part "Bingo!". Scholarships are no panacea. I believe I've said this since the beginning. What it does, is it allows coaches to recruit much closer to home and recruit kids that come from all incomes. From that standpoint, the pool is expanded and this is a good thing. It still takes a good coach to identify scholarshp worthy talent and how different that might be from aid-worthy talent, and it also doesn't completely mitigate the negative effects of the AI.

Overall still a good imo. Just not a "we just became the best FCS conference" kind of good. We just made life moderately more difficult for Ivy considered kids and very difficult for NEC kids ... and should be able to convince a CAA kid or two/year but these are not the kids we'll mostly build our programs around imo given their opportunities elsewhere.

What up, carney?!?

Lehigh Football Nation
January 26th, 2012, 10:53 PM
For the most part "Bingo!". Scholarships are no panacea. I believe I've said this since the beginning. What it does, is it allows coaches to recruit much closer to home and recruit kids that come from all incomes. From that standpoint, the pool is expanded and this is a good thing. It still takes a good coach to identify scholarshp worthy talent and how different that might be from aid-worthy talent, and it also doesn't completely mitigate the negative effects of the AI.

Overall still a good imo. Just not a "we just became the best FCS conference" kind of good. We just made life moderately more difficult for Ivy considered kids and very difficult for NEC kids ... and should be able to convince a CAA kid or two/year but these are not the kids we'll mostly build our programs around imo given their opportunities elsewhere.

What up, carney?!?

I think something to watch for next week, too, is Fordham's commitments. Despite a horrible season which ended in the dismissal of their head coach, it's looking like they will have locked up at least a half-dozen, maybe more, recruits by last October. Can any other Patriot League team with equivalencies make that claim? If not, you have to say demonstrably that scholarships provide the edge.

Lehigh Football Nation
January 26th, 2012, 11:50 PM
Part Five: Lafayette

http://lehighfootballnation.blogspot.com/2012/01/unofficial-lafayette-commit-list-for.html

Two more to go - and then all those updates! Incidentally, I also added all the new names listed here.

RichH2
January 27th, 2012, 08:50 AM
Look all schollies will do is narrow the gap.We will always lose more than we win vs IL and probably CAA. We have a nice niche for academic kids who want to play a more competitve national schedule with a path to the playoffs. PL schools w/o exception have excellent academic reputations but we are not and never will be the Ivy league. Nor should we try to be. There are very few academic FCS schools that offer schollies ( W&M. UR, Nova, Wofford,JMU). That is where we can compete as a leagueand IMHO be very successful.

DFW HOYA
January 27th, 2012, 12:12 PM

I'm sure there are two or three LFN columns to come on this, but the three questions I think the PL is avoiding are:

1. A "scholarship" that remains ineligible to 90% of I-AA recruits due to the Ivy Index is essentially a trade of need equivalency for merit equivalency. It is not a scholarship. It won't make the PL any more competitive and in some recruiting cases on the margin could be less so.

2. Moving the grant money from the financial aid departmetn to the athletic department has a longer term impact on Title IX. If you want to see what the men's athletic program at some PL schools are going to look like down the road, check whats schools like Elon and Wofford spend on sports outside football and basketball.

3. Do the presidents show Georgetown the door or politely point in that direction? I know PL folks will dance around this and say, "Oh, I'm sure Georgetown can, um, ...remain competitive..." but when the top 90-100 PL eligible recruits are picked off by scholarships, the rest will be told to pay a visit to Washington DC and, if they have a 1300 or higher, to try their luck. That is a competitive recipe for a six team conference.

And then, when Fordham leaves down the road, everyone is on its own.

ngineer
January 27th, 2012, 12:26 PM
Look all schollies will do is narrow the gap.We will always lose more than we win vs IL and probably CAA. We have a nice niche for academic kids who want to play a more competitve national schedule with a path to the playoffs. PL schools w/o exception have excellent academic reputations but we are not and never will be the Ivy league. Nor should we try to be. There are very few academic FCS schools that offer schollies ( W&M. UR, Nova, Wofford,JMU). That is where we can compete as a leagueand IMHO be very successful.

Agreed. The past two years we've lost some good Lehigh Valley kids because we weren't able to offer enough money. Doesn't even have to be the whole boat. I think if Lafayette and Lehigh had offered DiBilio something close to a full ride, he may have stayed closer to home. Same with losing Orlando to UNH a few years back, and couple to Penn.

carney2
January 27th, 2012, 02:00 PM
Disagree with item 3. Athlete with family income of say $100K can get a free ride to H-Y-P but much less to a PL school.

I'm not sure that you and I are communicating. Number 3 says that WITH Patriot League scholarships the recruit no longer has to qualify for Patriot League financial aid. With, as you point out, many of the Ivys offering a free education to all applicants whose family income is beneath a certain amount, the decision will, many times, come down to free vs. free. It now becomes Harvard vs. Lehigh. No disrespect intended to the hated ChickenSquawks, but Harvard continues to win this one the overwhelming majority of the time. Not much will have changed, which is my point.

GateRaider63
January 27th, 2012, 03:27 PM
WR Brenden McKinney commits to 'gate. http://tinyurl.com/7pjjyev

van
January 27th, 2012, 04:17 PM
I'm not sure that you and I are communicating. Number 3 says that WITH Patriot League scholarships the recruit no longer has to qualify for Patriot League financial aid. With, as you point out, many of the Ivys offering a free education to all applicants whose family income is beneath a certain amount, the decision will, many times, come down to free vs. free. It now becomes Harvard vs. Lehigh. No disrespect intended to the hated ChickenSquawks, but Harvard continues to win this one the overwhelming majority of the time. Not much will have changed, which is my point.

Disagree on "overwhelming majority of the time." Free at Harvard vs say $20K/year at a PL school, Harvard wins overwhelmingly. But free vs free, I think we can hold our own. It certainly gives the coaches a bigger candidate pool.

I am not one that thinks that schollies are going to make PL a championship contender every year, but I truly believe they would result in 3 or 4 recruits a year that we don't get now. A little more depth and maybe a couple of more skilled starters would make a difference. Not a great difference, but a discernable difference.

RichH2
January 28th, 2012, 10:17 AM
Agree that merit aid a PL' recruiting need"but not for this year. Lets see what happens in June. Then we have the entire summer to disect it ad nauseum

Engineer86
January 28th, 2012, 04:32 PM

Anyhow

Seen him on the basketball court, he is 6'3" at best, but still makes a nice guard.

DFW HOYA
January 28th, 2012, 06:14 PM
Agree that merit aid a PL' recruiting need"but not for this year. Lets see what happens in June. Then we have the entire summer to disect it ad nauseum

Which will basically come down to three points:

1. The Three Schools With The Money: "CAA schools, watch out!"
2. The Three Schools Without The Money: "Well, maybe we can grab a recruit or two from the Ivies."
3. Georgetown: "The League wishes our friends from Washington all the best in their future endeavors."

Lehigh Football Nation
January 28th, 2012, 11:44 PM
Part Six: Bucknell:

http://lehighfootballnation.blogspot.com/2012/01/unofficial-bucknell-commit-list-for.html

Crunch time as we enter the final weekend! One last school to get: Georgetown. Hope to finish that sometime tomorrow, or Monday at the absolute latest.

carney2
January 30th, 2012, 09:04 AM
Disagree on "overwhelming majority of the time." Free at Harvard vs say $20K/year at a PL school, Harvard wins overwhelmingly. But free vs free, I think we can hold our own. It certainly gives the coaches a bigger candidate pool.

I am not one that thinks that schollies are going to make PL a championship contender every year, but I truly believe they would result in 3 or 4 recruits a year that we don't get now. A little more depth and maybe a couple of more skilled starters would make a difference. Not a great difference, but a discernable difference.

We shall agree to disagree on the Patriot vs. Ivy recruiting score card. Your second paragraph is spot on however. Scholarships will not turn Patriot League schools into recruiting juggernauts, but should yield a better athlete at the margin while providing improved depth. As the sometimes conscience of the Patriot League, DFW, points out, the three "with the money" (I assume he's talking about Colgate, Fordham and Lehigh) should no longer be the soft spots on CAA schedules. Trying not to go there because, as RichH says, plenty of time in June, but the three "without the money" (assumption is Bucknell, Holy Cross and Lafayette) are a tough group to handicap in all of this. One or two could defy logic and be all in.

RichH2
January 30th, 2012, 09:43 AM
How each school will deal with scholarships,if and when they come into play will indeed be very interesting. I anticipate the announcement at the June PL meeting but until we know is true and the scope and implementation plan discussion is frustrating and premature. Just recall the endless threads over the last 2 yrs that beat this dog to death. I would rather concentrate on this yr's recruits.

Tavani 's class very impressive so far. LU solid but nothing spectacular yet. Rest seem to be doing OK. This s/b an interesting week.Hoyas we'll know in May.

Lehigh Football Nation
January 30th, 2012, 10:21 AM
Tavani 's class very impressive so far. LU solid but nothing spectacular yet. Rest seem to be doing OK. This s/b an interesting week.Hoyas we'll know in May.

Rich, you obviously didn't see the latest Lehigh Florida recruit. :D

Or the latest from Wallenpaupack :D

RichH2
January 30th, 2012, 10:33 AM

Yup, I did .On LU Board. Put up separate thread so easier to find. We are doing quite well so far. Pards are just doing better

breezy
January 30th, 2012, 10:56 AM
Updated list of currently known Holy Cross verbal commitments (11 as of 1/30/12):

DL Michael Galantini (PA)
LB Justin Todd (IN)
K/P Connor Fitzgerald (IN)
OL Conor Hopewell (NC)
LB John Turner (CT)
LB Kenny Acquah (NY)
ATH Kyle Keyser (PA)
WR Leif Colberg (CT)
WR Coan Calabrese (TX)
DL Dewayne Cameron (FL)
WR Zach Buzzard (AZ)

Lehigh Football Nation
January 30th, 2012, 11:16 AM
The final piece of my recruiting profiles: Georgetown:

http://lehighfootballnation.blogspot.com/2012/01/unofficial-georgetown-commit-list-for.html

Scooping DFW on two Hoya recruits = Priceless :)

Still updating the recruiting lists for all seven schools, incidentally. I updated Lehigh, created G'Town, and now I need to update all the ones Breezy just mentioned. I also updated some Colgate commitments (I think) this weekend.

breezy
January 30th, 2012, 05:51 PM
Two more for Holy Cross:

OL Sam Ranieri (FL)
LB Matt Bhaya (NJ)

ngineer
January 30th, 2012, 11:13 PM
Yup, I did .On LU Board. Put up separate thread so easier to find. We are doing quite well so far. Pards are just doing better

The Keller kid from Triton NJ looks like a great overall athlete for either side of the ball. Won the head to head with three other PLs on that one. I like versatility. But we do need to keep reloading the trenches.

van
January 31st, 2012, 07:25 AM

Kid from Paupack looks good. Not sure of the competition he faced, but looks to have good feet and quickness for a big guy.

DetroitFlyer
January 31st, 2012, 07:32 AM
How did Lafayette land Deuce Gruden over my Dayton Flyers?

Bogus Megapardus
January 31st, 2012, 07:59 AM

Especially since dad is a Dayton alum, right? Don't worry, we'll take care of the young man. He'll get a fine education and get to play in some pretty venerated places. Got to get Chucky himself to wear a Leopard necktie on MNF, though.

DetroitFlyer
January 31st, 2012, 08:41 AM
Especially since dad is a Dayton alum, right? Don't worry, we'll take care of the young man. He'll get a fine education and get to play in some pretty venerated places. Got to get Chucky himself to wear a Leopard necktie on MNF, though.

Oh man, your killing me.... The only thing I can figure is that Deuce did not want to play in his Dad's shadows.... At 5' 6" he is certainly not your typical FCS level recruit, but I was really hoping that he would come to UD. He and his Dad were just on campus for a second visit and to watch the Dayton at Xavier basketball game. It sure seemed like Dad wanted him to come to UD.... Maybe Junior just wanted to be his own man.... Bummer for UD!

RichH2
January 31st, 2012, 10:10 AM
The Keller kid from Triton NJ looks like a great overall athlete for either side of the ball. Won the head to head with three other PLs on that one. I like versatility. But we do need to keep reloading the trenches.

Our greatest need,IMHO is a wide body at NG. Chagani awesome but no depth on the inside. We have tons of DE types and LBs and Dbs,

1standgoal
January 31st, 2012, 10:30 AM
The Keller kid from Triton NJ looks like a great overall athlete for either side of the ball. Won the head to head with three other PLs on that one. I like versatility. But we do need to keep reloading the trenches.Looks like he changed his mind overnight and will now sign with Lafayette....

RichH2
January 31st, 2012, 11:00 AM
Looks like he changed his mind overnight and will now sign with Lafayette....

HUH? Any authority for that?

Rams look to have a nice class building. Major stumbling block to winning seasons for you guys was abysmal staff. Hope new staff will repair

Lehigh Football Nation
January 31st, 2012, 11:20 AM
Don't give RichH a heart attack like that! :D

1standgoal
January 31st, 2012, 11:27 AM
HUH? Any authority for that?

Rams look to have a nice class building. Major stumbling block to winning seasons for you guys was abysmal staff. Hope new staff will repair
http://blogs.courierpostonline.com/varsity/

RichH2
January 31st, 2012, 11:28 AM
[QUOTE=Lehigh Football Nation;1767283]Don't give RichH a heart attack like that! :D[/QUOT

xnonox At my age palpitations are not funxshakefistx. :):)

Interesting to see if we get Gulyas and/or the twins from the LV. Next up , I hope, a NG,FB , OL,in that order .

Lehigh Football Nation
January 31st, 2012, 11:32 AM

Whoops, it looks like someone's playing games...

RichH2
January 31st, 2012, 11:49 AM

Thanks for the headsup depressing as it was. Coen finishing 2nd best too often so far.

1standgoal
January 31st, 2012, 11:55 AM
Thanks for the headsup depressing as it was. Coen finishing 2nd best too often so far.haha....i know..one more day. Did you know about this kid? http://www.scoutingpa.com/index.php?option=com_comprofiler&task=userProfile&user=275&Itemid=85&name=cruhl55

RichH2
January 31st, 2012, 12:11 PM
haha....i know..one more day. Did you know about this kid? http://www.scoutingpa.com/index.php?option=com_comprofiler&task=userProfile&user=275&Itemid=85&name=cruhl55

Yup have him on our list. 3 sport athlete and great student

ngineer
January 31st, 2012, 12:51 PM
Whoops, it looks like someone's playing games...

Says," "It" [whatever "it" is] didn't feel right." Well, he'll be feeling blue for four years running, now. At least he will be part of history with our Eight-Peat! (;-)

RichH2
January 31st, 2012, 01:07 PM
Says," "It" [whatever "it" is] didn't feel right." Well, he'll be feeling blue for four years running, now. At least he will be part of history with our Eight-Peat! (;-)

From your mouth to God's ear. That said it would be nice if LU staff could stop finishing 2nd and start closing the deal.

carney2
January 31st, 2012, 01:52 PM

Not picking on the FoulFowl when they are momentarily down, but how is this going - really? In my unreliable opinion, last year's flock of Squawks was not very good. Some programs can survive one down year if they fill in around it, but two in a row is a recipe for disaster. I kind of like you people 51 weeks out of each year, so say it ain't so.

Lehigh Football Nation
January 31st, 2012, 03:40 PM
Not picking on the FoulFowl when they are momentarily down, but how is this going - really? In my unreliable opinion, last year's flock of Squawks was not very good. Some programs can survive one down year if they fill in around it, but two in a row is a recipe for disaster. I kind of like you people 51 weeks out of each year, so say it ain't so.

Personally, I see a pretty good class thus far. Two interesting RBs, two talented DBs. Only one big OL thus far, would like to see more of them in the class, but it's still pretty early.

Suggs was the only impact freshman from last year's class, but as you probably figured out the senior class was loaded. Will be interesting to see how the sophomore class impacts this year. Poutier might work his way into the QB conversation.

GateRaider63
January 31st, 2012, 06:46 PM
Adam Bridgeforth to Colgate... http://blogs.mcall.com/varsity/2012/01/three-nazareth-football-players-set-to-sign-wednesday.html

RichH2
January 31st, 2012, 07:02 PM
Not picking on the FoulFowl when they are momentarily down, but how is this going - really? In my unreliable opinion, last year's flock of Squawks was not very good. Some programs can survive one down year if they fill in around it, but two in a row is a recipe for disaster. I kind of like you people 51
weeks out of each year, so say it ain't so.

Actually while last year not ideal for patsy rank, it was a good class for skills and OL notDL. Expect 2 of wrs to be in rotation also 2 OL.

Andy
January 31st, 2012, 08:36 PM
Scott Stump, allshoremedia mogel, tweets of LU commitment from OL Matt Ford, Wall Twnshp 3 yr starter, 1st all-shore

LC commit Michael Moralle 6-2 203 DB/WR Rumson-FH

posted earlier today on LC board

ngineer
January 31st, 2012, 08:43 PM
Let's face it, ranking and trying to 'score' recruiting classes is highly overrated and is akin to reading goat entrails. There will be some anticipated 'stars' who will not pan out and some who are not much more than walk-ons who become contributing players or starters. Young men can grow significantly in just three years, and some never progress...either mentally or physically.

Andy
January 31st, 2012, 08:49 PM
Ryan Smith TE/DB 6’3” 200 Ryle Holy Cross cinci enquirer list of verbals

van
February 1st, 2012, 07:31 AM
Let's face it, ranking and trying to 'score' recruiting classes is highly overrated and is akin to reading goat entrails. There will be some anticipated 'stars' who will not pan out and some who are not much more than walk-ons who become contributing players or starters. Young men can grow significantly in just three years, and some never progress...either mentally or physically.

Goat entrails can be very accurate!

RichH2
February 1st, 2012, 08:38 AM

Only after you run out of vestal virgins

Bogus Megapardus
February 1st, 2012, 08:44 AM

Sorry, Flyer!

http://img259.imageshack.us/img259/8792/deucegruden.jpg

carney2
February 1st, 2012, 10:25 AM

No goats. I slice and dice ChickenSquawks.

van
February 1st, 2012, 10:31 AM
Sorry, Flyer!

http://img259.imageshack.us/img259/8792/deucegruden.jpg

Is he standing?

Fordham
February 1st, 2012, 10:58 AM

Agreed!

carney2
February 1st, 2012, 11:32 AM
Lafayette is streaming their signing list as I "speak," but nothing that I can paste and copy as yet. Here's what we have:

27 recruits

By position:

Offense = 15:
OL = 6
WR = 2
QB = 2
FB = 2
TE = 2
K/P = 1

Defense = 12:
DL = 3
LB = 5
DB = 4

Geographically:
PA = 10
NJ = 6
FL = 4
NY = 2
GA = 1
MD = 1
NC = 1
TX = 1
WV = 1

The linemen are gargantuan. The 6 OL average 306 and the 3 DL average 275.

DFW HOYA
February 1st, 2012, 12:09 PM
How does Lafayette announce 27 when Georgetown can't fill the class/announce until May 1? Are they already admitted to LC?

carney2
February 1st, 2012, 12:18 PM
How does Lafayette announce 27 when Georgetown can't fill the class/announce until May 1? Are they already admitted to LC?

I'm not sure how it works, but Lafayette announces on signing day every year. Lehigh, if they follow form, should be announcing in a week or two. I would love to hear the process, but can only assume that there has been some coordination/discussion with admissions and financial aid because there has never, to the best of my recollection, been an "oops!" retraction.

Bogus Megapardus
February 1st, 2012, 12:28 PM

Lafayette has held Signing Day announcements in one form or another since 2000. There's always this disclaimer: "Official notification will be extended by the Office of Admissions and Financial Aid." There's a risk that something will change, of course, but it seems to have worked out OK in the past.

DFW HOYA
February 1st, 2012, 12:29 PM
Kevin Kelly's latest letter said "NCAA rules prevent us from announcing our class until May 1."

carney2
February 1st, 2012, 12:37 PM
Kevin Kelly's latest letter said "NCAA rules prevent us from announcing our class until May 1."

I'm sure that Kelly is telling it as it is. The question then becomes, "What are the rules of which he speaks?" Perhaps - and I am totally spit-balling here - the culture at Georgetown does not include close associations between non-basketball athletics and the admissions/financial aid segments of the University, that may be operative at other Patriot League schools. Perhaps other football staffs are able to get some sort of a preliminary decision from their admissions people that satisfies NCAA rules, but is not available at Georgetown. Whatever. It is obvious that in this, as in most things football, Georgetown is marching to a different drummer.

Lehigh Football Nation
February 1st, 2012, 12:40 PM

I think this enters into that "likely letter"/letter of intent" difference. I think (and please correct me if I'm wrong, someone) that Lehigh and Lafayette kids sign binding NLI letters now, while other schools have binding letters but not as binding as the NLI letters. I'm going on memory here.

RichH2
February 1st, 2012, 12:56 PM
lehigh did not have binding LOIs in past years. Dont think we do now. Looked could not find any rule prohibiting a school from announcing its prospective football players. I am not sure of their admit status but my assumption is kids announced have been admitted. That may be the difference with GU as they dont admit now,

carney2
February 1st, 2012, 12:57 PM
I think this enters into that "likely letter"/letter of intent" difference. I think (and please correct me if I'm wrong, someone) that Lehigh and Lafayette kids sign binding NLI letters now, while other schools have binding letters but not as binding as the NLI letters. I'm going on memory here.

And that's another way to go - a legality; a technicality.

van
February 1st, 2012, 01:15 PM

Don't Hoyas do everything on tape delay?

Bogus Megapardus
February 1st, 2012, 01:18 PM

xlolxxrotatehxxnodx

RichH2
February 1st, 2012, 02:27 PM

xthumbsupxxlmaoxxlmaoxxlmaox

DFW HOYA
February 1st, 2012, 02:48 PM
Perhaps - and I am totally spit-balling here - the culture at Georgetown does not include close associations between non-basketball athletics and the admissions/financial aid segments of the University, that may be operative at other Patriot League schools.

Basketball no longer announces recruits before the spring, either.

Georgetown does not admit athlete apps in the early admissions pool, and I'm only guessing other schools have some sort of early admit program for athletes that allow them to make an offer before then.

van
February 1st, 2012, 02:56 PM
xlolxxrotatehxxnodx

Just for you Bogie!

carney2
February 1st, 2012, 06:39 PM
Correction - The Lafayette press release now lists 30 recruits. That's 3 additional in a matter of a few hours. Just imagine how many they'd have if they played by Kelly's rules at Georgetown.

Here's the press release:

http://www.goleopards.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/020112aab.html

Pards Rule
February 1st, 2012, 06:57 PM

That would be DEUCES!! ;)

ngineer
February 1st, 2012, 10:56 PM
Looks like we might have gotten a good K/P--1st Team All State NJ, which, imo was our most crying need of any one position. Cost us the UNH game and could have made the NDSU game very interesting had we at least converted some of those deep drives with FGs as opposed to missed fourth down attempts.

ngineer
February 1st, 2012, 10:58 PM
See we lost Gulyas to Villanova. A good case where scholarships may have been a big difference.

Go...gate
February 2nd, 2012, 12:08 AM
Oh man, your killing me.... The only thing I can figure is that Deuce did not want to play in his Dad's shadows.... At 5' 6" he is certainly not your typical FCS level recruit, but I was really hoping that he would come to UD. He and his Dad were just on campus for a second visit and to watch the Dayton at Xavier basketball game. It sure seemed like Dad wanted him to come to UD.... Maybe Junior just wanted to be his own man.... Bummer for UD!

Gotta get some Lafayette - Dayton games on the sked....

LehighU11
February 2nd, 2012, 01:29 AM
Is he standing?

Appears so. Listed (http://www.maxpreps.com/high-schools/carrollwood-day-patriots-(tampa,fl)/football/roster.htm)as 5'6 180. Looks like the Pards really solved that QB issue from last season...Here's to the next four in a row

RichH2
February 2nd, 2012, 08:23 AM
See we lost Gulyas to Villanova. A good case where scholarships may have been a big difference.

Lost other wr from same school to Duquesne for the same reason. Reviewing kids we did not get vast majority to IL or a schollie school. 3-4 to PL schools. The head to head with Lafayette was almost a clean sweep for them. Overall class very nice. No qb and only 1 wr,no FB. Expect we'll have a few more over the next week or 2.
K agrear addition. Both RBs are fast and impressive

RichH2
February 2nd, 2012, 02:36 PM
Hoyas got Sam Jowers OL ***ESPN. He had offers from a number FBS schools and other PL. Very good recruit

ngineer
February 2nd, 2012, 04:17 PM
Lost other wr from same school to Duquesne for the same reason. Reviewing kids we did not get vast majority to IL or a schollie school. 3-4 to PL schools. The head to head with Lafayette was almost a clean sweep for them. Overall class very nice. No qb and only 1 wr,no FB. Expect we'll have a few more over the next week or 2.
K agrear addition. Both RBs are fast and impressive

Yes, the one ATH was also a QB but likely a DB. No real pressing need for QB this year. I'm sure there will be a few additions between now and 2/18 (date of team dinner), when I hope to get some more insight into the class. Fact we got about 5 "jumbos" is good news.

EB59
February 2nd, 2012, 05:20 PM
Sam Jowers:

Choosing between being a preferred walk-on at Georgia or North Carolina, or heading right up to Georgetown, was a difficult task for Jowers, a two-way lineman for the Wildcats. He said he felt like he changed his mind over and over while discussing his options with his family.

In the end, though, academics won out, as Jowers chose the Hoyas, where he’ll join an old teammate, defensive back John Egan. He said he will play defensive end.

“Georgetown’s the best education, and I’ve got a friend who’s up there already, so I thought that would be the best for me,” Jowers said.

According to Westminster coaches, Jowers was the focal point of 90 percent of the Wildcats' running and passing attack at the line of scrimmage and was used to block the opposition's best player more than any other Westminster lineman.

“It's fun that people want you to come to their school, but for it to finally be over, it’s huge," Jowers said. "It’s incredible."

Franks Tanks
February 2nd, 2012, 08:41 PM
Appears so. Listed (http://www.maxpreps.com/high-schools/carrollwood-day-patriots-(tampa,fl)/football/roster.htm)as 5'6 180. Looks like the Pards really solved that QB issue from last season...Here's to the next four in a row

Yes, we got Louis Pappas

http://www.tampabay.com/hometeam/blog/tarpon-springs-quarterback-louis-pappas-commits-lafayette/12572/

This past weekend, Tarpon Springs quarterback Louis Pappas took recruiting trips to Lafayette and Lehigh, two Division I-AA rivals in Pennsylvania that have played a record 147 times.

After visiting Lafayette, Pappas decided that was the school for him. He committed to the Leopards on Monday.

“Lafayette is a strong academic school with great football and great tradition,” Pappas said. “Everything felt right the moment I walked on the campus.”

and our friend Keller

http://blogs.courierpostonline.com/varsity/2012/01/31/keller-sleeps-on-decision-changes-mind/

On Monday, the Triton senior said he chose Lehigh over Lafayette. But over the course of several hours, he had a change of heart.

“It just didn’t feel right and he really liked Lafayette,” Triton coach Pete Goetz said in a text message earlier this morning.

“He changed his mind. Sleeping on it, it didn’t feel right. He likes Lafayette.”

Keller was down to four schools on Sunday – Lehigh, Lafayette, Holy Cross and Colgate.

RichH2
February 3rd, 2012, 07:53 AM
Yes, we got Louis Pappas

http://www.tampabay.com/hometeam/blog/tarpon-springs-quarterback-louis-pappas-commits-lafayette/12572/

This past weekend, Tarpon Springs quarterback Louis Pappas took recruiting trips to Lafayette and Lehigh, two Division I-AA rivals in Pennsylvania that have played a record 147 times.

After visiting Lafayette, Pappas decided that was the school for him. He committed to the Leopards on Monday.

“Lafayette is a strong academic school with great football and great tradition,” Pappas said. “Everything felt right the moment I walked on the campus.”

and our friend Keller

http://blogs.courierpostonline.com/varsity/2012/01/31/keller-sleeps-on-decision-changes-mind/

On Monday, the Triton senior said he chose Lehigh over Lafayette. But over the course of several hours, he had a change of heart.

“It just didn’t feel right and he really liked Lafayette,” Triton coach Pete Goetz said in a text message earlier this morning.

“He changed his mind. Sleeping on it, it didn’t feel right. He likes Lafayette.”

Keller was down to four schools on Sunday – Lehigh, Lafayette, Holy Cross and Colgate.

Rather petty shot. Nonetheless true enough. Head to head almost a clean sweep for LC. Well things go in cycles, maybe in 3 or 4 years Pards may actually win a LU-LC game.

van
February 3rd, 2012, 07:57 AM
Rather petty shot. Nonetheless true enough. Head to head almost a clean sweep for LC. Well things go in cycles, maybe in 3 or 4 years Pards may actually win a LU-LC game.

Well, hope does spring eternal. Nice to be on a 4-pete.

Lehigh Football Nation
February 3rd, 2012, 08:59 AM
When looking at Lehigh's QB roster, they saw three all-state QBs that couldn't crack the roster behind Lum.

When looking at Lafayette's QB roster, they found... a bunch of kids that couldn't get out of their own way to become the starter.

You have to admit that could have been a huge factor why they all went to the Dark Side. In this day and age, every kid wants the chance to be a 3- or 4- year starter.

Bogus Megapardus
February 3rd, 2012, 09:35 AM
When looking at Lehigh's QB roster, they saw three all-state QBs that couldn't crack the roster behind Lum.

When looking at Lehigh, they saw nothing whatsoever. The semi-viscus toxic plume ever swirling below the crest of South Mountain occludes the vision of even the brightest-eyed, bushiest-tailed of high school recruits.

After leaving Bethlehem, and once showered and deloused, the Taj-Ma-Football must be quite a sight for them.

Lehigh Football Nation
February 3rd, 2012, 09:44 AM
After leaving Bethlehem, and once showered and deloused, the Taj-Ma-Football must be quite a sight for them.

It must have been. They must have been wondering - where's the Patriot League Championship trophy? Where are those Lambert Trophies? Where's the montage of playoff victories over the decades? Lehigh has all those things... where are those of the Leopards? xlolx

Bogus Megapardus
February 3rd, 2012, 09:56 AM
It must have been. They must have been wondering - where's the Patriot League Championship trophy? Where are those Lambert Trophies? Where's the montage of playoff victories over the decades? Lehigh has all those things... where are those of the Leopards? xlolx

Oh, I dunno . . . like three NATIONAL football championships in years past, a double-digit lead in football wins over Lehigh, and TWICE as many basketball wins over Lehigh than losses? Those sorts of things?

Now, I wouldn't go so far as to say that the head coaching position at Lehigh has the approximate lifespan of a Spinal Tap drummer, but now that you mention it . . . .

van
February 3rd, 2012, 09:59 AM
Oh, I dunno . . . like three NATIONAL football championships in years past, a double-digit lead in football wins over Lehigh, and TWICE as many basketball wins over Lehigh than losses? Those sorts of things?

Now, I wouldn't go so far as to say that the head coaching position at Lehigh has the approximate lifespan of a Spinal Tap drummer, but now that you mention it . . . .

Well, that answers the where are the pards question; living in the past. Seems reasonable. ;)

RichH2
February 3rd, 2012, 10:36 AM
Kind of sad when your biggest selling points are more than 50 years in the past. Pards should be pitied not mocked

Bogus Megapardus
February 3rd, 2012, 10:46 AM
Nothing like a little off-season practice to keep the skills sharp, right guys?

RichH2
February 3rd, 2012, 11:16 AM

Too true. Less pressure now as none of us really knows how any class or kid will do. I figure every PL recruit is damn lucky to be in one of our schools.

van
February 3rd, 2012, 11:22 AM
Kind of sad when your biggest selling points are more than 50 years in the past. Pards should be pitied not mocked

You're right Rich, my bad. Sending some pity your way Pards.

Lehigh Football Nation
February 3rd, 2012, 11:23 AM

Agreed. I was getting a bit complacent in that area! xlolx

ngineer
February 3rd, 2012, 12:51 PM

That's hysterical! Laughyette has NEVER WON a national championship---in ANYTHING! Some police gazette poll almost 100 years ago said the spotted pussies appeared to be the best team in the land? Where was that proven? The "double-digit" lead over Lehigh has shrunk by about 25 in the last 40 years and I bet within the next 20 it will be dead even. And, lastly, he wants to talk about BASKETBALL?!! When you're left arguing "historical basketball" (because the Laugh-a-lots haven't beaten Lehigh there, either, in recent years) that is a sorry statement.xlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolx

ngineer
February 3rd, 2012, 01:01 PM
That's hysterical! Laughyette has NEVER WON a national championship---in ANYTHING! Some police gazette poll almost 100 years ago said the spotted pussies appeared to be the best team in the land? Where was that proven? The "double-digit" lead over Lehigh has shrunk by about 25 in the last 40 years and I bet within the next 20 it will be dead even. And, lastly, he wants to talk about BASKETBALL?!! When you're left arguing "historical basketball" (because the Laugh-a-lots haven't beaten Lehigh there, either, in recent years) that is a sorry statement.xlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolx

If you want to talk some history, howabout the toughest sport there is: college wrestling. Lehigh--27 National Champions, 131 All-Americans. Lafayette--0 and drops wrestling in 1981 to go to girls soccer. From 1911-1981, Lafayette record in wrestling versus Lehigh: 0-19. If you can't beat 'em, quit.

Bogus Megapardus
February 3rd, 2012, 01:15 PM
Oh, I keep forgetting about those silly wrasslers you have over there.

http://helloandwelcome.files.wordpress.com/2008/11/fisting-gay-wrestlers-cock.jpg

carney2
February 3rd, 2012, 03:25 PM
Where I come from two guys rolling around on the ground grabbing each other isn't called rasslin'.

Bogus Megapardus
February 3rd, 2012, 03:35 PM
I'm sorry, 'ngineer, especially in the off season, but you're pwned. As a very smart guy and first-rate advocate of All Things that are Brown, you ought to know better than to drop the soap like that . . . .

The Historian
February 3rd, 2012, 04:00 PM
The Leopards probably do not know this, but at one time the had a very good wrestling coach in Cliff Gallagher. He was the younger brother of Edward Gallagher, who was one of the greatest coaches of all time in any sport. Lafayette has also had two NCAA Division I All Americans (the last in 1956). Don Sayenga, who played football and wrestled for Lafayette in the late 1950s, is a widely recognized amateur wrestling historian.

So Lafayette does have a wrestling heritage, although few know about it.

carney2
February 3rd, 2012, 04:08 PM
The Leopards probably do not know this, but at one time the had a very good wrestling coach in Cliff Gallagher. He was the younger brother of Edward Gallagher, who was one of the greatest coaches of all time in any sport. Lafayette has also had two NCAA Division I All Americans (the last in 1956). Don Sayenga, who played football and wrestled for Lafayette in the late 1950s, is a widely recognized amateur wrestling historian.

I attended a Lafayette home wrestling meet once. The crowd consisted of me, a few parents, and a guy wandering through looking for the swimming pool. Take it from me, Lafayette wrestling had no past, no present, and certainly no future. It was put out of its misery and no one misses it.

Bogus Megapardus
February 3rd, 2012, 04:21 PM

Suddenly, history is significant in the view of the Brown-Eyed Girls. So, sit for a moment while I tell you about March Field, Pop Warner, Jim Thorpe, the invention of both the helmet and the huddle, and Lafayette's THREE national football championships.

It might take some time, so . . . .