PDA

View Full Version : Liberty FBS Feasibility Study

TexasTerror
December 15th, 2011, 01:25 PM
Saw that Falwell announced a FBS feasibility study on Twitter... any links?

http://twitter.com/#!/LibertyU/status/147375912562868224

Seven Would Be Nice
December 15th, 2011, 01:27 PM
http://cdn.epicski.com/a/a0/a0560b4d_NotSureIfSerious.jpg

knucklehead
December 15th, 2011, 02:05 PM
100% serions. It's not an if LU goes to FBS its WHEN

Cleets
December 15th, 2011, 02:19 PM
How many Falwell's are there..?

Sly Fox
December 15th, 2011, 04:13 PM
Not sure what is implied by that question.

Yes, Liberty is dead serious about FBS aspirations. The feasibility study is being conducted by Carr Sports Associates. But frankly we are ready to go tomorrow if a league offers us a spot. We have spent the past five years upgrading facilities, getting total number of sports above FBS minimum, tackled the Title IX challenges and generally invested heavily to put ourselves into this position. Those of you laughing having been paying much attention. We already meet FBS attendance requirements for those wondering and have the cash on hand to move on phase 2 of our expansion if requested by FBS league for admission.

BisonBacker
December 15th, 2011, 04:33 PM
Not sure what is implied by that question.

Yes, Liberty is dead serious about FBS aspirations. The feasibility study is being conducted by Carr Sports Associates. But frankly we are ready to go tomorrow if a league offers us a spot. We have spent the past five years upgrading facilities, getting total number of sports above FBS minimum, tackled the Title IX challenges and generally invested heavily to put ourselves into this position. Those of you laughing having been paying much attention. We already meet FBS attendance requirements for those wondering and have the cash on hand to move on phase 2 of our expansion if requested by FBS league for admission.
Enjoy the toilet bowl!!

Cleets
December 15th, 2011, 05:03 PM
Hey will you guys still play FCS teams when you move over..?
I bet they'll be lining up to get on your schedule - you know - an FBS win looks pretty good on an FCS schedule

goaliejake22
December 15th, 2011, 05:14 PM
haters gonna hate...
but at least it was comical.

Grizzlies82
December 15th, 2011, 05:29 PM
I understand "studying" the issue, but get real everybody, you may as well wait for the inevitable. The BIG dogs are in the process of creating their "Golden 64" (or whatever the final tally). The golden ones will be the only ones allowed to hunt for the FBS National Championship. If SEC, PAC-10/12, or whatever isn't in your title you are not invited (that means you Sun Belt, C-USA, WAC, etc...).

All the remainder of FBS which isn't given a cherished golden ticket will then be out. The top tier of FCS and the bottom tier of FBS will then merge into the equivalent of a new 1-AA. So hang on awhile and "move up" as Marshall, Troy, and Idaho "move down" to the new entity.

Cleets
December 15th, 2011, 07:17 PM
I understand "studying" the issue, but get real everybody, you may as well wait for the inevitable. The BIG dogs are in the process of creating their "Golden 64" (or whatever the final tally). The golden ones will be the only ones allowed to hunt for the FBS National Championship. If SEC, PAC-10/12, or whatever isn't in your title you are not invited (that means you Sun Belt, C-USA, WAC, etc...).

All the remainder of FBS which isn't given a cherished golden ticket will then be out. The top tier of FCS and the bottom tier of FBS will then merge into the equivalent of a new 1-AA. So hang on awhile and "move up" as Marshall, Troy, and Idaho "move down" to the new entity.

I can actually see this happening ^

TexasTerror
December 15th, 2011, 08:53 PM
Article...

As Liberty University welcomed its new head football coach Turner Gill Thursday, Chancellor Jerry Falwell, Jr. also announced Liberty will be conducting a feasibility study to determine if the university should reclassify its football program to the NCAA Division 1 Football Bowl Subdivision (FBS).

Liberty currently competes at the NCAA Football Championship Subdivision (FCS) level as a member of the Big South Conference, where it has won four championship titles (2007, 2008, 2009 and 2010).

“Given the unexpected turn of events, we believe the time is right for Liberty to conduct the FBS feasibility study, which is so important for our program to move to the level it was originally envisioned it would go,” Falwell said during a news conference in the Williams Stadium tower.

He said the study should be completed in February or March.

http://www.liberty.edu/news/index.cfm?PID=18495&MID=44319

Go...gate
December 15th, 2011, 11:05 PM
Thought Liberty might wait a few years until the economic climate improved, but who knows when that will happen. They have to be careful about this. Sun Belt Conference cannot be the goal here.

clenz
December 16th, 2011, 12:40 AM
Enjoy the toilet bowl!!

They can't get to the FCS playoffs....you expect them to make a bowl?

http://flopearedmule.net/skeptical-cat-is-fraught-with-skepticism.jpg

Cleets
December 16th, 2011, 01:03 AM
They'll just buy a bowl (apparently) I'm all for it myself... Everybody deserves a bowl

Sly Fox
December 16th, 2011, 04:48 PM
Economics are not an issue for us. We're a private school not depending on state tax dollars to run our program.

The FCS of today is not likely the FCS of tomorrow. The dream of some that the lower level of FBS will somehow drop back into the FCS group is not likely to happen. More likely, the top tier of FBS will separate itself leaving the rest of FBS behind. Then the FCS will move from a 2nd tier classification to a 3rd tier. If that excites you, then I might suggest a drop down to D2 where you can enjoy being big fish in a tiny pond.

And for those of you who assume success on the field plays a significant role in stepping up to the next level, the facts don't support it. We've been trapped in a Big South bog while surrounded by CAA & SoCon schools recruiting for talent. Our league has been a huge detriment to our efforts. It is our belief that FBS membership even in a crummy league will open up us to national recruiting based on our distinct identity.

The Brief
December 16th, 2011, 04:53 PM
Economics are not an issue for us. We're a private school not depending on state tax dollars to run our program.

The FCS of today is not likely the FCS of tomorrow. The dream of some that the lower level of FBS will somehow drop back into the FCS group is not likely to happen. More likely, the top tier of FBS will separate itself leaving the rest of FBS behind. Then the FCS will move from a 2nd tier classification to a 3rd tier. If that excites you, then I might suggest a drop down to D2 where you can enjoy being big fish in a tiny pond.

And for those of you who assume success on the field plays a significant role in stepping up to the next level, the facts don't support it. We've been trapped in a Big South bog while surrounded by CAA & SoCon schools recruiting for talent. Our league has been a huge detriment to our efforts. It is our belief that FBS membership even in a crummy league will open up us to national recruiting based on our distinct identity.

If the two best conferences in FCS are "stealing" your recruits, then hope do you have of recruiting in the Sun Belt, which is SEC Country?

Grizzlies82
December 16th, 2011, 05:10 PM
The FCS of today is not likely the FCS of tomorrow. The dream of some that the lower level of FBS will somehow drop back into the FCS group is not likely to happen. More likely, the top tier of FBS will separate itself leaving the rest of FBS behind. Then the FCS will move from a 2nd tier classification to a 3rd tier.

The top tier of FBS is taking their golden tickets and will leave the rest of FBS behind. That move will essentially create the new 1-AA with the FBS left overs. While they are not technically moving down, those schools are effectively being pushed down into that new lower catagory.

The time for FCS schools to move up is when it becomes clear what exactly they're moving into. Liberty and others may choose to "move up" prior to this. Yet if you do, they need to realize the FBS landscape is about to change dramatically. Either way, good luck to all.

asumike83
December 16th, 2011, 05:17 PM
If the fan support, administrative support and money is there to make a move, best of luck! With all the mergers and conference shifting still taking place in the FBS, I'd be surprised if any more FCS programs actually make the jump until 2-3 years down the road but it is always good to have your ducks in a row for if/when the time comes.

Grizzlies82
December 16th, 2011, 05:49 PM
If the fan support, administrative support and money is there to make a move, best of luck! With all the mergers and conference shifting still taking place in the FBS, I'd be surprised if any more FCS programs actually make the jump until 2-3 years down the road but it is always good to have your ducks in a row for if/when the time comes.

ASUMike, that is essentially what I'm saying too.

Sly Fox
December 16th, 2011, 06:12 PM
If the lower level FBS teams are being dropped down into a Non-Money Division I then the worst a move up now would be is a temporary foray where we would be lined up with potentially stronger programs after the dust settles. The only downside would possibly be a couple of years out of the playoff system. Trust me, we're well conditioned to handle that scenario.

I recognize it is a completely different situation for those out West than it is for East Coast schools.

Jazzman1522
December 16th, 2011, 07:17 PM
They'll just buy a bowl (apparently) I'm all for it myself... Everybody deserves a bowl

Except for Western Kentucky xlolx

phoenix3
December 16th, 2011, 09:21 PM
Sly is right with regards to past performance not being an issue when moving up. Money is #1 through 5. Then comes # of varsity sports, fan support, facilities, title IX issues, etc. Liberty has PLENTY of cash.

goaliejake22
December 16th, 2011, 10:23 PM
Liberty has PLENTY of cash.

Amen to that!:D