PDA

View Full Version : The Sports Network: I-AA Quarterbacks

cosmo here
May 25th, 2006, 04:55 PM
Extra Point - I-AA Quarterbacks: Santos, Sanders and who else?
By Matt Dougherty, The Sports Network

http://www.sportsnetwork.com/default.asp?c=sportsnetwork&page=/cfoot2/news/AGN4021666.htm

1. Ricky Santos, UNH
2. Eric Sanders, UNI
3. Justin Rascati, JMU
4. Jon Grant, UC Davis
5. Anton Clarkson, Hofstra
6. Steve LaFalce, Western Illinois
7. Luke Drone, Illinois State
8. Josh Greco, EKU
9. Josh Johnson, San Diego
10. Jason Murrietta, NAU
11. Tom Zetts, YSU
12. Colin Drafts, Charleston Southern
13. Aries Nelson, Mississippi Valley
14. Marvin Burroughs, Villanova
15. Ron Whitcomb, Maine
16. Justin Haddix, WKU
17. Steve Walker, NDSU
18. Sedale Threatt, Lehigh
19. Cleveland McCoy, SCSU
20. Joseph Lewis, Southern

Retro
May 25th, 2006, 05:22 PM
WOW, No mention of Mcneese's QB'S at all! Some people are in for a real suprise this year with F & F!:smiley_wi

Tribe4SF
May 25th, 2006, 05:25 PM
Jake Phillips should be in there. Highest rating of I-AA freshman QBs last year, and 16th overall.

cosmo here
May 25th, 2006, 05:26 PM
Jake Phillips should be in there. Highest rating of I-AA freshman QBs last year, and 16th overall.

He is, he's the first sophomore mentioned in "Stars in the Making". 9 of the top 20 are seniors, the other 11 are juniors.

youwouldno
May 25th, 2006, 06:16 PM
My sister is a W&M cheerleader, so my dad went to all their games and thought Potts was a substantially better QB than Phillips. Not that he's an NFL scout or anything, but he's seen a lot of football so I thought it was interesting. I've seen them play a little but not enough to make many observations. Phillips is clearly the better athlete and has all the tools, but after a hot start he was pretty bad... all aspects of the offense suffered. Phillips tends to lock onto receivers and isn't as fundamentally sound as Potts.

As to the rankings, I think Matt did a great job. I pretty much agree, give or take a couple of spaces for a few guys.

The SoCon is kind of weak in the QB department right now, although some of that has to do with the offenses in the conference, which lean towards the run more than most (even with GSU dropping the option). Elder and Gray might be new starters, but because of the players around them might be the top 2 in the league. UTC's Antonio Miller has a lot of athleticism and could put up better numbers this year. Still, a lot of SoCon teams have question marks of one kind or another at the position. That might set the stage for some upsets during league play.

colgate13
May 25th, 2006, 07:01 PM
I agree that Sedale Threatt has a lot of potential, but I'm not sold on him rising to the top just yet. I think he is going to have some growing pains with a new coach and some young receivers. Personally (and biasedly of course) I think he's not even going to make the 1st or 2nd team PL. His year will be his senior one.

Saraceno at Colgate is going to get his INTs under control and show everyone just how good he is (good enough for 1st team QB WITH his INTs btw) and if Maurer at Lafayette can stay healthy he can compete at the top level as well. This is too early an annointment of Threatt for my liking. :twocents:

cosmo here
May 25th, 2006, 07:08 PM
I agree that Sedale Threatt has a lot of potential, but I'm not sold on him rising to the top just yet. I think he is going to have some growing pains with a new coach and some young receivers. Personally (and biasedly of course) I think he's not even going to make the 1st or 2nd team PL. His year will be his senior one.

Saraceno at Colgate is going to get his INTs under control and show everyone just how good he is (good enough for 1st team QB WITH his INTs btw) and if Maurer at Lafayette can stay healthy he can compete at the top level as well. This is too early an annointment of Threatt for my liking. :twocents:

. . since Maurer was injured against Lehigh . . if he's the winning QB in that game I think he's first team, he ran away with the passing rating within the league. but I agree with everything else. B+ post overall :)

MACHIAVELLI
May 25th, 2006, 07:31 PM

http://www.sportsnetwork.com/default.asp?c=sportsnetwork&page=/cfoot2/news/AGN4021666.htm

1. Ricky Santos, UNH
2. Eric Sanders, UNI
3. Justin Rascati, JMU
4. Jon Grant, UC Davis
8. Josh Greco, EKU
10. Jason Murrietta, NAU
11. Tom Zetts, YSU
15. Ron Whitcomb, Maine
16. Justin Haddix, WKU
17. Steve Walker, NDSU

If Nelson had an O-line he would do some damage. He will still throw for 2800 and some change in 2006. JC "Sunshine" Lewis is tough. I saw him get drilled play after play against AAMU and he kept getting up. He has been in southern system for 3 years going on 4. Unless he gets some receivers that can catch other than Landry, he will be in trouble.

griz37
May 25th, 2006, 08:28 PM

1. Ricky Santos, UNH
2. Eric Sanders, UNI
3. Justin Rascati, JMU
4. Jon Grant, UC Davis
8. Josh Greco, EKU
10. Jason Murrietta, NAU
11. Tom Zetts, YSU
15. Ron Whitcomb, Maine
16. Justin Haddix, WKU
17. Steve Walker, NDSU

It will be interesting to see which Murrietta shows up. Last year I felt bad for the kid. He had such an amazing freshman year but against the Griz last year he looked like he would have been more happy out of the game totally. Not his fault, just no players around him.

MR. CHICKEN
May 25th, 2006, 08:32 PM
WOW...DIS IS WHAT AH LIKES 'BOUT DUH AGS.....MAN AH'M LEARNIN'...'BOUT...ALOT O' STUFF..FROM YOU CATS.....AN'..FO' WHAT IT IS WORFF.....POTTS.....LOOKED GOOD...IN DUH CN-8 GAME DAT AH SAW...(THINK IT WAS AGIN' RHODEY).....BUT AH'M UH DELAWARE HOMER....AN' DAT MIDDLETOWN CAV.....IS UH FAVORITE SON....:hyped:..AWK!

igo4uni
May 25th, 2006, 09:10 PM
MAN AH'M LEARNIN'...'BOUT...ALOT O' STUFF..FROM YOU CATS

By Cats, you mean Panthers, of course. :D Right Mr. Chicken!!:nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :cool: :D :) :rotateh: :nod: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:

igo4uni
May 25th, 2006, 09:13 PM
My :twocents: worth:

Eric Sanders is not the best athlete.
Eric Sanders is not the best passer.
Eric Sanders is not the best runner.

However, no one finds a way to lead and win games like Eric Sanders does for UNI. :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray:

cosmo here
May 25th, 2006, 09:17 PM
My :twocents: worth:

Eric Sanders is not the best athlete.
Eric Sanders is not the best passer.
Eric Sanders is not the best runner.

However, no one finds a way to lead and win games like Eric Sanders does for UNI. :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray:

Brad Maurer is not the best athlete.
Brad Maurer is not the best passer.
Brad Maurer is not the best runner.

However, no one finds a way to lead and win games like Brad Maurer does for Lafayette.

Maurer > Saraceno > Threatt
(2) > (1) > (0)

my campaign for Brad Maurer for #18.

blukeys
May 25th, 2006, 09:19 PM
WOW...DIS IS WHAT AH LIKES 'BOUT DUH AGS.....MAN AH'M LEARNIN'...'BOUT...ALOT O' STUFF..FROM YOU CATS.....AN'..FO' WHAT IT IS WORFF.....POTTS.....LOOKED GOOD...IN DUH CN-8 GAME DAT AH SAW...(THINK IT WAS AGIN' RHODEY).....BUT AH'M UH DELAWARE HOMER....AN' DAT MIDDLETOWN CAV.....IS UH FAVORITE SON....:hyped:..AWK!

I agree with the Big Chicken!!!xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

ngineer
May 25th, 2006, 09:26 PM
What has caught peoples' attention with Threatt was his ability to step into a situation last year and move the team as a leader, even though a sophomore. I think with the the new coaching staff and a beefed up running game, Threatt's impact can be greater.. The key, as someone pointed out, is the ability of the WR's to do their job. With receivers getting open and holding onto the ball, Lehigh's offense could be a nightmare for any defense. Threatt is one of 'those' players who can impact a game on any given play.

UNHWildCats
May 25th, 2006, 10:10 PM
Ricky Santos is a great athlete.
Ricky Santos is a great passer.
Ricky Santos is an above average runner.

And he wins, wins, wins :D

AppGuy04
May 25th, 2006, 11:02 PM
I understand why Trey Elder isn't on there, but I think by the end of this season, he will be a top 10 QB

PantherMan
May 25th, 2006, 11:18 PM
Ricky Santos is a great athlete.
Ricky Santos is a great passer.
Ricky Santos is an above average runner.

And he wins, wins, wins :D

Unless of course the QB on the other team is named Eric Sanders...:hurray: xazzx :lmao: :nono:

PantherMan
May 25th, 2006, 11:20 PM
I understand why Trey Elder isn't on there, but I think by the end of this season, he will be a top 10 QB

Really?!?:confused: Other than being an ASU fan, do you have any reason to actually believe that?

Chi Panther
May 25th, 2006, 11:39 PM
Really?!?:confused: Other than being an ASU fan, do you have any reason to actually believe that?

I actually agree that Trey will be a stud.....ASU has too much talent around him.....and isn't he Mr Football South Carolina or something like that???

colgate13
May 26th, 2006, 07:55 AM
What has caught peoples' attention with Threatt was his ability to step into a situation last year and move the team as a leader, even though a sophomore. I think with the the new coaching staff and a beefed up running game, Threatt's impact can be greater.. The key, as someone pointed out, is the ability of the WR's to do their job. With receivers getting open and holding onto the ball, Lehigh's offense could be a nightmare for any defense. Threatt is one of 'those' players who can impact a game on any given play.

I was right there on the sidelines for the Colgate/Lehigh game. Threatt looked respectable but I was not blown away by him. I thought he needed time to mature. If Lehigh goes to the ground more often, and the recievers are young, I don't see him putting up numbers to be considered on this level yet. If anything, he's going to put up rushing/scrambling numbers and that is where teams will need to work to contain him.

I do think he is going to be a great QB - like I said early though, this is too early an annointing for me when there is a very good chance that he will be the #3 QB in the PL. :twocents:

AppGuy04
May 26th, 2006, 08:00 AM

You mean other than the offense he put up when Richie was out of the game or single handedly beating Texas State as a freshman

AppGuy04
May 26th, 2006, 08:01 AM
I actually agree that Trey will be a stud.....ASU has too much talent around him.....and isn't he Mr Football South Carolina or something like that???

yes, from his ASU profile:

Voted Mr. Football in South Carolina in 2003 after one of the finest seasons in state history … completed 242-of-349 passes (70 percent) for 3,878 yards and 38 touchdowns against only seven interceptions as a senior … rushed for 905 yards and 19 scores on 171 carries on his way to leading the Rebels to a Class AAAA state championship … his 4,663 total yards set a state record, while his 242 completions are the second most in a season in South Carolina … completed 14-of-23 passes for 132 yards and two touchdowns and earned MVP honors at the 67th Shrine Bowl

GaSouthern
May 26th, 2006, 08:12 AM
look for a blue and white eagle on that list next year :D

GannonFan
May 26th, 2006, 08:12 AM
Interesting note is that listening to some Hofstra fans there's a good possibility that with the coaching change at Hofstra in the off-season that Clarkson may not even be the starting QB for the Pride this year.

wannabegaucho
May 26th, 2006, 08:20 AM
What does Jon Grant have in common with Drew Olson and Brady Quinn? They all led a comeback (and eventual win) of some sort against Leland Stanford Juinor University.

Pard4Life
May 26th, 2006, 08:31 AM
I was right there on the sidelines for the Colgate/Lehigh game. Threatt looked respectable but I was not blown away by him. I thought he needed time to mature. If Lehigh goes to the ground more often, and the recievers are young, I don't see him putting up numbers to be considered on this level yet. If anything, he's going to put up rushing/scrambling numbers and that is where teams will need to work to contain him.

I do think he is going to be a great QB - like I said early though, this is too early an annointing for me when there is a very good chance that he will be the #3 QB in the PL. :twocents:

Agreed, Threatt is too young and unproven to make that list and is clearly the #3 QB in the PL. Has he singlehandedly won a big game for Lehigh? No... Lehigh's defense and Colgate's incompetence were the factors in that game. He played well vs. Lafayette but was not a huge impact player. In fact he I remember he made some mistakes.

Maurer has to be considered due to his passing rating and winning percentage. I don't know the math but he has probably won double the games he has lost. But... a point of debate could be he is not a prolific passer.. alot of his passes are short yardage plays. But, when he does go long, they are usually right on the money.

I think that list needs to be revised.. Threatt does have potential but he is not a top 20 QB. I am not sure Maurer would be... I'd like to see him there.. but he is more worthy of being on that list than Threatt.

fuEMO
May 26th, 2006, 08:53 AM
I understand why Gray is not listed. But by the end of the season I've got a feeling the 1AA football media will know Renaldo Gray. Elder has had more exposure and I think he will be an excellent qb at APP, I only worry about his size. This is what makes Gray special, at 230 plus pounds he has big arm and Gray brings the option, he seems to excell with the pitch. How can any purple blood Paladin not be excited about dreaming of a backfield of Gray, Felton and Gipson. 230-250-210 pound backfield with speed.

cosmo here
May 26th, 2006, 08:57 AM
Maurer has to be considered due to his passing rating and winning percentage. I don't know the math but he has probably won double the games he has lost. But... a point of debate could be he is not a prolific passer.. alot of his passes are short yardage plays. But, when he does go long, they are usually right on the money.

I think that list needs to be revised.. Threatt does have potential but he is not a top 20 QB. I am not sure Maurer would be... I'd like to see him there.. but he is more worthy of being on that list than Threatt.

from Lafayette's spring prospectus . .

The Lafayette offense will be in the capable hands of senior quarterback Brad Maurer, who is entering his third year as a starter. The second team All-Patriot League selection was first in passing efficiency in league games (141.56 rating) and averaged 225 yards passing entering the Lehigh game. Maurer suffered a separation of his right (throwing) shoulder on the third play of Lafayette's 23-19 win over the Mountain Hawks which also kept him out of the I-AA playoff game at Appalachian State the following week. He finished his junior season with 1,562 yards passing and nine touchdowns against only five interceptions, and enters his senior season ranked first in completion percentage (62.0) and seventh in career passing yardage (2,875) in the school's record books. Maurer has proven his mettle with his legs as well, running for 914 yards in two seasons as the signal caller, and Lafayette is 11-3 when Maurer plays the entire game under center.

http://goleopards.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/032406aac.html

Tribe4SF
May 26th, 2006, 09:05 AM
My sister is a W&M cheerleader, so my dad went to all their games and thought Potts was a substantially better QB than Phillips. Not that he's an NFL scout or anything, but he's seen a lot of football so I thought it was interesting. I've seen them play a little but not enough to make many observations. Phillips is clearly the better athlete and has all the tools, but after a hot start he was pretty bad... all aspects of the offense suffered. Phillips tends to lock onto receivers and isn't as fundamentally sound as Potts.

Your dad is off base, as is your assessment of Mike Potts being more fundamentally sound than Jake Phillips. Phillips suffered down the stretch from an offensive line that got worse each game. Potts got time in the Richmond game and suffered the same fate. Phillips has consistently outperformed Potts, shows better field vision, is more accurate, has a quicker release, and is significantly more athletic. Potts has a slight edge in arm strength, but nowhere else. He did not show an ability to carry the team when he was the starter. Phillips did. Mike lost the job at Northeastern, where his lack of mobility and tendency to lock on led to many mistakes. He also has a tendency to fumble when sacked. In my opinion, the second best QB on the roster is R.J. Archer, who has been moved to WR to get him on the field.

Kosty
May 26th, 2006, 09:29 AM
I agree that Sedale Threatt has a lot of potential, but I'm not sold on him rising to the top just yet.

Isn't Sedale Threatt about 50 years old??? He averaged double figures for Seattle and the Lakers from 1990 until 1994. I didn't know he had college eligibility left. :smiley_wi

Pard4Life
May 26th, 2006, 09:30 AM
from Lafayette's spring prospectus . .

The Lafayette offense will be in the capable hands of senior quarterback Brad Maurer, who is entering his third year as a starter. The second team All-Patriot League selection was first in passing efficiency in league games (141.56 rating) and averaged 225 yards passing entering the Lehigh game. Maurer suffered a separation of his right (throwing) shoulder on the third play of Lafayette's 23-19 win over the Mountain Hawks which also kept him out of the I-AA playoff game at Appalachian State the following week. He finished his junior season with 1,562 yards passing and nine touchdowns against only five interceptions, and enters his senior season ranked first in completion percentage (62.0) and seventh in career passing yardage (2,875) in the school's record books. Maurer has proven his mettle with his legs as well, running for 914 yards in two seasons as the signal caller, and Lafayette is 11-3 when Maurer plays the entire game under center.

http://goleopards.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/032406aac.html

I'm way off... quadruple the wins it is! I sure hope that getting knocked out of the Lehigh game and not playing vs. ASU will motivate Brad alot this year to take the team the distance.. we have won 2 PL titles during his two years at QB.

dbackjon
May 26th, 2006, 09:44 AM
It will be interesting to see which Murrietta shows up. Last year I felt bad for the kid. He had such an amazing freshman year but against the Griz last year he looked like he would have been more happy out of the game totally. Not his fault, just no players around him.

I think we will see the Freshman Murrietta again this year. He had a great group around him that year - but most graduated, and the cupboard was pretty bare his sophomore year. Injuries wiped out most of his O-Line last season.

McTailGator
May 26th, 2006, 10:06 AM
WOW, No mention of Mcneese's QB'S at all! Some people are in for a real suprise this year with F & F!:smiley_wi

with F & F!

Maybe, maybe not...

Think "C"...

:D

Tubby Raymond
May 26th, 2006, 11:52 AM
Your dad is off base, as is your assessment of Mike Potts being more fundamentally sound than Jake Phillips. Phillips suffered down the stretch from an offensive line that got worse each game. Potts got time in the Richmond game and suffered the same fate. Phillips has consistently outperformed Potts, shows better field vision, is more accurate, has a quicker release, and is significantly more athletic. Potts has a slight edge in arm strength, but nowhere else. He did not show an ability to carry the team when he was the starter. Phillips did. Mike lost the job at Northeastern, where his lack of mobility and tendency to lock on led to many mistakes. He also has a tendency to fumble when sacked. In my opinion, the second best QB on the roster is R.J. Archer, who has been moved to WR to get him on the field.

We will gladly take him back, and off your hands:smiley_wi :nod:

Tubby Raymond
May 26th, 2006, 11:53 AM
Isn't Sedale Threatt about 50 years old??? He averaged double figures for Seattle and the Lakers from 1990 until 1994. I didn't know he had college eligibility left. :smiley_wi

He was a Sixer

WMTribe90
May 26th, 2006, 11:57 AM
We will gladly take him back, and off your hands

We'll trade you for a starting DT.:)

GannonFan
May 26th, 2006, 12:00 PM
We'll trade you for a starting DT.:)

Yeah, they're in pretty short supply so we'll have to pass on that trade. Heck, I'm not sure our's are better than your's anyway.

foghorn
May 26th, 2006, 12:13 PM
I 'll take our chances with Flacco, Moyer and Carty over Potts anyday. :nod:

bluehenbillk
May 26th, 2006, 12:30 PM
It's easier to list the A-10 QB's not in Dougherty's list.

JacksFan07
May 26th, 2006, 01:56 PM
I am new to this site, and am learning alot more about the rest of the 1-AA. I think 1 name of the up and comers that should be added is Stephen F. Austin's Danny Southall. He played in 9 games last year, in relief mostly, and still posted a 143 QB rating (highest in the SLC). This will be his first season to start and he has a great group of experienced receivers and some great running backs that should help him out. He is 6'3" and a threat to run as well. Keep an eye on him.

GeauxColonels
May 26th, 2006, 02:00 PM
I am new to this site, and am learning alot more about the rest of the 1-AA. I think 1 name of the up and comers that should be added is Stephen F. Austin's Danny Southall. He played in 9 games last year, in relief mostly, and still posted a 143 QB rating (highest in the SLC). This will be his first season to start and he has a great group of experienced receivers and some great running backs that should help him out. He is 6'3" and a threat to run as well. Keep an eye on him.

Welcome JacksFan07!!! I think now ALL the SLC football schools are represented on the site - even UCA, an addition for 2007. You will EASILY become addicted to this site a quite a short amount of time. I know I have in a little less than 2 weeks of being here!:hurray:

Tribe4SF
May 26th, 2006, 02:06 PM
It's easier to list the A-10 QB's not in Dougherty's list.

Right you are. There are plenty of good ones around these days. When a player of Mike Potts' stature can't start for his team, and would probably not fair better at UD, that's evidence of the wealth of talent. Northeastern's two rising sophomore QBs are no slouches themselves...Anthony Orio and John Sperazza. I don't think you can win the A-10 without a top-notch QB. Richmond will need to find one if they are to contend, and if they do, I believe they will contend.

jwfgeol
May 26th, 2006, 02:13 PM
I understand why Gray is not listed. But by the end of the season I've got a feeling the 1AA football media will know Renaldo Gray.
Agree with you here. Not to mention Gray brought Furman back from 21-7 down in the 4th quarter last year vs. Citadel and won in 3 OT's when Martin was out.

TheValleyRaider
May 26th, 2006, 03:45 PM
Maurer > Saraceno
(2) > (1)

Maurer vs. Saraceno head-to-head:
Saraceno 1 - Maurer 0

You were saying...:D

cosmo here
May 26th, 2006, 04:17 PM
Maurer vs. Saraceno head-to-head:
Saraceno 1 - Maurer 0

You were saying...:D

Rings, baby. Rings. :nod:

Go Lehigh TU owl
May 26th, 2006, 04:41 PM

How could you say that Threatt needed time to mature following the Colgate game? He had zero ints, 187 yards passing and 100 yards rushing. Sarenceno had 3 ints, 1 returned for the the clinching TD. Threatt did everything a Sr. QB is expected to do but he was a sophomore.

I'll put money if plays in 10 game he'll be either 1st or 2nd team in the PL. When was the last time a Lehigh QB started the entire season and didn't make atleast 2nd team QB?

cosmo here
May 26th, 2006, 04:57 PM
I'll put money if plays in 10 game he'll be either 1st or 2nd team in the PL. When was the last time a Lehigh QB started the entire season and didn't make atleast 2nd team QB?

In the last 10 years, Lehigh's QB didn't make the All-PL team in 96, 99, 02, 03 and 05. I don't know what the injury situation was though.

Go Lehigh TU owl
May 26th, 2006, 07:26 PM
In the last 10 years, Lehigh's QB didn't make the All-PL team in 96, 99, 02, 03 and 05. I don't know what the injury situation was though.

'96 was Stambaugh's Fr year
'99 i missed that one, i don't how Stambaugh didn't get atleast 2nd team to Vena that year.
'02 Lehigh started 3 different QB's
'03 Schwenk got hurt against Uconn and Keating finished off the year, Keating would have had a got chance at second team if he had started the year
'05- Borda would have gotten first team easily if he had stayed healthy

ngineer
May 26th, 2006, 07:56 PM
'96 was Stambaugh's Fr year
'99 i missed that one, i don't how Stambaugh didn't get atleast 2nd team to Vena that year.
'02 Lehigh started 3 different QB's
'03 Schwenk got hurt against Uconn and Keating finished off the year, Keating would have had a got chance at second team if he had started the year
'05- Borda would have gotten first team easily if he had stayed healthy

I find it hard to believe Stambaugh was not 1st or 2d team in '99. Lehigh was 14th in TSN poll, PL champs, had a 10-1 regular season record, losing to Hofstra in NCAA playoffs, and Stambaugh was named 2nd Team All-ECAC that year. He was the PL Player of the Year in 1998, and Ron Jean won the award in '99. I've looked over my old media guide and cannot find a listing of past "all PL" players in the years past. If Phil wasn't number 2 to Vena, who was??

Go Lehigh TU owl
May 26th, 2006, 07:59 PM
I find it hard to believe Stambaugh was not 1st or 2d team in '99. Lehigh was 14th in TSN poll, PL champs, had a 10-1 regular season record, losing to Hofstra in NCAA playoffs, and Stambaugh was named 2nd Team All-ECAC that year. He was the PL Player of the Year in 1998, and Ron Jean won the award in '99. I've looked over my old media guide and cannot find a listing of past "all PL" players in the years past. If Phil wasn't number 2 to Vena, who was??

I just remembered who it was. It was the guy from Towson, Lee. Remember the '99 LU-Towson game? Wow, offense in that one. With that said, Stambaugh not getting 1st team or 2nd team in '99 is rediculous. I don't know how he didn't.

TheValleyRaider
May 26th, 2006, 08:18 PM
Rings, baby. Rings. :nod:

2005 and 2003 for Saraceno (even if he was Chris Brown's backup for the first one). He's still batting 1.000 as a starter. :rotateh:

SoCon48
May 26th, 2006, 09:54 PM
The SoCon is kind of weak in the QB department right now[/B], although some of that has to do with the offenses in the conference, which lean towards the run more than most (even with GSU dropping the option). Elder and Gray might be new starters, but because of the players around them might be the top 2 in the league. UTC's Antonio Miller has a lot of athleticism and could put up better numbers this year. Still, a lot of SoCon teams have question marks of one kind or another at the position. That might set the stage for some upsets during league play.

Someone in the SoCon always emerges as really good.

eagleskins
May 27th, 2006, 06:33 AM
Jayson Foster is the best player, but where is he going to line up?

WCU LawCat
May 27th, 2006, 11:20 AM
As far as the SoCon goes. WCU has a 4 way battle for the starting spot going on right now. Unlike last year, a playmaker might come out of that group. That was the only missing piece for Western last season...a playmaker behind center.

Chi Panther
May 27th, 2006, 12:59 PM
You mean other than the offense he put up when Richie was out of the game or single handedly beating Texas State as a freshman

Just remember.....

Sanders played hurt a ton.....not saying the season could have been any better....but leading UNI to victories over YSU, SIU, WKU not at 100%....is extremely impressive....similar to ASU beating UNI with Richie not at 100%.

slostang
May 27th, 2006, 01:11 PM
Cal Poly's QB Matt Brennan was liste under "Stars in the Making?" section. Matt was a walk on Rfr last year and stepped in when Poly lost QB Anthony Garnett to a knee injury at the end of the Montana game. Matt had some rough games and some really impressive games like the victory over Montana in the playoffs. Matt has a really strong arm, but needs to have better touch on the long ball. The play of Matt Brennan next year will be the difference in a good Cal Poly team and one that may contend for a National Championship.

blukeys
May 27th, 2006, 10:02 PM
Right you are. There are plenty of good ones around these days. When a player of Mike Potts' stature can't start for his team, and would probably not fair better at UD, that's evidence of the wealth of talent. Northeastern's two rising sophomore QBs are no slouches themselves...Anthony Orio and John Sperazza. I don't think you can win the A-10 without a top-notch QB. Richmond will need to find one if they are to contend, and if they do, I believe they will contend.

I have seen huge changes in the A-10 in the last 15 years and one of those areas is QB. There currently are no bad A-10 QB's. 15 years ago you had to worry about 3 or 4 per year. Potts is a great example of a guy who would start at 90% of the I-AA schools outside the A-10. Ryan Carty of Delaware is another example. :nod: :nod:

Lionsrking
May 27th, 2006, 11:29 PM

1. Ricky Santos, UNH
2. Eric Sanders, UNI
3. Justin Rascati, JMU
4. Jon Grant, UC Davis
8. Josh Greco, EKU
10. Jason Murrietta, NAU
11. Tom Zetts, YSU
15. Ron Whitcomb, Maine
16. Justin Haddix, WKU
17. Steve Walker, NDSU

Watch out for Brandon Jones. He has yet to start a college football game but has the tools to be a great one. I feel confident he'll be among the national leaders in passing by season's end.

Jag4Life
May 28th, 2006, 07:12 AM
If Nelson had an O-line he would do some damage. He will still throw for 2800 and some change in 2006. JC "Sunshine" Lewis is tough. I saw him get drilled play after play against AAMU and he kept getting up. He has been in southern system for 3 years going on 4. Unless he gets some receivers that can catch other than Landry, he will be in trouble.
:nod: :nod: @ both MACH!!! They are loaded at WR position this year. I can name alot that can catch the ball real well. :nod: :nod:

McNeese72
May 28th, 2006, 08:36 AM
with F & F!

Maybe, maybe not...

Think "C"...

:D

I rather think "O" which is the nickname the second "F" has picked up. But I'd rather keep things quiet.

Doc

GeauxLions94
May 29th, 2006, 10:09 AM
Watch out for Brandon Jones. He has yet to start a college football game but has the tools to be a great one. I feel confident he'll be among the national leaders in passing by season's end.

You stole my thunder on Brandon Jones :thumbsup: Redshirt freshman is very smooth in the pocket, almost like Hankins was but is more athletic. If we get our O-Line situation worked out, BJ and the Lions should be a dangerous team in '06 :nod:

Lionsrking
May 29th, 2006, 05:00 PM
You stole my thunder on Brandon Jones :thumbsup: Redshirt freshman is very smooth in the pocket, almost like Hankins was but is more athletic. If we get our O-Line situation worked out, BJ and the Lions should be a dangerous team in '06 :nod:

Not to mention Jones is about four inches taller and has a stronger arm than Hankins. Remains to be seen whether he measures up as far as performance but he doesn't have to be as good for our offense to be effective.

leatherneck177
May 29th, 2006, 07:47 PM
I'm glad to see that Steve LaFalce is getting some respect. Despite the past two losing seasons, he has put up some impressive numbers.

ISUMatt
May 29th, 2006, 07:50 PM
I'm glad to see that Steve LaFalce is getting some respect. Despite the past two losing seasons, he has put up some impressive numbers.

Honestly though, I can't see how thay put LaFalce over Luke Drone from Illinois State!!!

colgate13
May 30th, 2006, 08:24 AM
2005 and 2003 for Saraceno (even if he was Chris Brown's backup for the first one). He's still batting 1.000 as a starter. :rotateh:
While I love your line of thinking TVR - you are STILL selling Saraceno short. Remember, he's a fifth year senior who missed 2004. He's got rings from his freshman year (2002 - tie with Fordham), 2003 (outright) and 2005 (tie with Lafayette). That's 3 rings for Saraceno.

In fact, (and I just realized this): Saraceno has not played on a Colgate team that didn't win the Patriot League!

Saraceno>Maurer
(3)>(1)

colgate13
May 30th, 2006, 08:31 AM
How could you say that Threatt needed time to mature following the Colgate game? He had zero ints, 187 yards passing and 100 yards rushing. Sarenceno had 3 ints, 1 returned for the the clinching TD. Threatt did everything a Sr. QB is expected to do but he was a sophomore.

Easily. While he didn't make many mistakes, he didn't do much either (not that that is a bad thing - if Colgate has a QB that does that in that game, we might have won).

Threat had 100 yards rushing. He was your leading rusher for the day. If he doesn't mature and become a bigger passing threat, he will be one dimensional and teams will be able to prepare for him better. (I believe if Colgate had more tape on him we could have put a better package together against him.)

His longest pass was for 25 yards and this is with the benefit of a seasoned receiver corps. You've got a bunch of new faces he's throwing to this year.

If Saraceno, Maurer and Threatt all play, all year long, Threat won't make the All-PL team. :twocents:

Uncle Buck
May 30th, 2006, 08:49 AM
Interesting note is that listening to some Hofstra fans there's a good possibility that with the coaching change at Hofstra in the off-season that Clarkson may not even be the starting QB for the Pride this year.

GF, that would be me. I didn't get to make the spring game but I heard Clarkson looked very off the mark with a lot of his throws. Maybe the new system is still sinking in, but with a new coach and everyone having to prove themselves, he didn't sound like it was a good start. I was surprised to see him so high on the list.

cosmo here
May 30th, 2006, 08:59 AM
While I love your line of thinking TVR - you are STILL selling Saraceno short. Remember, he's a fifth year senior who missed 2004. He's got rings from his freshman year (2002 - tie with Fordham), 2003 (outright) and 2005 (tie with Lafayette). That's [SIZE=7]3[SIZE=2] rings for Saraceno.

In fact, (and I just realized this): Saraceno has not played on a Colgate team that didn't win the Patriot League!

Saraceno>Maurer
(3)>(1)

Hey, hold on now :) Saraceno is 1-for-1 as a starter (2005), Maurer is 2-for-2 as a starter (2004 and 2005). I don't know where you came up with the 1 for Maurer.

colgate13
May 30th, 2006, 10:02 AM
Hey, hold on now :) Saraceno is 1-for-1 as a starter (2005), Maurer is 2-for-2 as a starter (2004 and 2005). I don't know where you came up with the 1 for Maurer.

You are correct my good friend!

Saraceno > Maurer
(3) > (2)

But at least we still agree on the general principle of my equation. ;)

cosmo here
May 30th, 2006, 10:29 AM
You are correct my good friend!

Saraceno > Maurer
(3) > (2)

But at least we still agree on the general principle of my equation. ;)

I can make an argument that Mike DiPaola has two rings also, but it doesn't make him Brad Maurer :nod:

TheValleyRaider
May 30th, 2006, 10:43 AM
While I love your line of thinking TVR - you are STILL selling Saraceno short. Remember, he's a fifth year senior who missed 2004. He's got rings from his freshman year (2002 - tie with Fordham), 2003 (outright) and 2005 (tie with Lafayette). That's [SIZE=7]3[SIZE=2] rings for Saraceno.

Hey, 2002 is before my time. ;) :p

Pard4Life
May 30th, 2006, 11:42 AM
While I love your line of thinking TVR - you are STILL selling Saraceno short. Remember, he's a fifth year senior who missed 2004. He's got rings from his freshman year (2002 - tie with Fordham), 2003 (outright) and 2005 (tie with Lafayette). That's 3 rings for Saraceno.

Saraceno>Maurer
(3)>(1)

Um, your line of reasoning is poor.. Sacracen did not do anything those years.. Brown led the team.. Maurer led Lafayette both years... His two are more meaningful than the three. I could ride the bench all four years, get four rings, and they still won't make me a championship caliber player that could say "I am a primary reason why we have those four rings".

Pard4Life
May 30th, 2006, 11:43 AM
Easily. While he didn't make many mistakes, he didn't do much either (not that that is a bad thing - if Colgate has a QB that does that in that game, we might have won).

Threat had 100 yards rushing. He was your leading rusher for the day. If he doesn't mature and become a bigger passing threat, he will be one dimensional and teams will be able to prepare for him better. (I believe if Colgate had more tape on him we could have put a better package together against him.)

His longest pass was for 25 yards and this is with the benefit of a seasoned receiver corps. You've got a bunch of new faces he's throwing to this year.

If Saraceno, Maurer and Threatt all play, all year long, Threat won't make the All-PL team. :twocents:

:nod: I agree with you on these points though.

colgate13
May 30th, 2006, 01:58 PM
Um, your line of reasoning is poor.. Sacracen did not do anything those years.. Brown led the team.. Maurer led Lafayette both years... His two are more meaningful than the three. I could ride the bench all four years, get four rings, and they still won't make me a championship caliber player that could say "I am a primary reason why we have those four rings".

I'm having fun with you! It's hard to compare 2004 since Saraceno didn't play and Maurer did. Head to head, as TVR points out, it's Saraceno 1, Maurer 0.

(and just to pour some salt in that 10 year old wound) It's also Colgate 2, Maurer 0 in his starting days. :p

(btw, I think I know how Delaware fans feel when they rub Colgate. It's kinda fun! :): smh ::bawling:)

Pard4Life
May 30th, 2006, 02:00 PM
I'm having fun with you! It's hard to compare 2004 since Saraceno didn't play and Maurer did. Head to head, as TVR points out, it's Saraceno 1, Maurer 0.

(and just to pour some salt in that 10 year old wound) It's also Colgate 2, Maurer 0 in his starting days. :p

(btw, I think I know how Delaware fans feel when they rub Colgate. It's kinda fun! :): smh ::bawling:)

:mad: You sure know how to push those buttons 13 haha..

Well, it is quite hot in here and I feel the need to be haughty today. :)

But, I guess we could say... Maurer-Davis 2, Lehigh 0; Lehigh 1 - Sacraceno 0.. in fact, Lehigh 2, Colgate 0 since 04.

colgate13
May 30th, 2006, 02:08 PM
:mad: You sure know how to push those buttons 13 haha..

Well, it is quite hot in here and I feel the need to be haughty today. :)

But, I guess we could say... Maurer-Davis 2, Lehigh 0; Lehigh 1 - Sacraceno 0.. in fact, Lehigh 2, Colgate 0 since 04.
You're hot? I'm thinking it must be a cold day in hell - a Lafayette fan is touting the accomplishments of Lehigh! xlolx

btw - that 0-2 since '04 is one reason to pick Colgate. There hasn't been a 3 in a row since the Sweeney days.

Pard4Life
May 30th, 2006, 02:20 PM
You're hot? I'm thinking it must be a cold day in hell - a Lafayette fan is touting the accomplishments of Lehigh! xlolx

btw - that 0-2 since '04 is one reason to pick Colgate. There hasn't been a 3 in a row since the Sweeney days.

xlolx Well, beating Colgate has yet to occur in the Tavani era.. also beating an Ivy that is not named Columbia and Princeton.

So anything that puts us in a better light than CU.. i'll take it..