PDA

View Full Version : Turner Gill to Liberty?

Lehigh Football Nation
December 14th, 2011, 03:17 PM
Tweet from @ChrisLangLNA: Can confirm that former kansas coach turner gill is on campus at Liberty. He just walked into the press tower.

Interesting..

jcmanson
December 14th, 2011, 03:56 PM
Our AD Jeff Barber was in Lawrence, KS all day yesterday and got back on a flight this morning. Reportedly, Gill also made the flight back.

The Brief
December 14th, 2011, 04:02 PM
Wow, talk about a fall from grace. Just three years ago, he was a lead man for the Auburn job.

LehighU11
December 14th, 2011, 04:11 PM
They'd be getting a great coach and mentor in him. Did a terrific job with at UB before moving to Kansas and being given only 2 years to right a wayward program there. Kansas didn't even give him a chance.

The Brief
December 14th, 2011, 04:18 PM
They'd be getting a great coach and mentor in him. Did a terrific job with at UB before moving to Kansas and being given only 2 years to right a wayward program there. Kansas didn't even give him a chance.

I agree. Kansas hasn't been relevant for years, no reason that they should expect him to be winning the Big-12 so soon. I am a firm believer in giving coaches 4 years. That way, you can let him run his team using his own recruits and not some other coach's who may have used different styles of players for different schemes (I'm looking at you University of Michigan).

jcmanson
December 14th, 2011, 04:19 PM
It's amazing all the Kansas fans who have joined our message board the past 24 hours trashing him. Saying basically he's incompetent and even unable to hold a conversation about football in regards to specifics.

ASU_Fanatic
December 14th, 2011, 04:23 PM
Good hire, I think Liberty has a steal here. Kansas is almost an impossible place to win at.

Lehigh Football Nation
December 14th, 2011, 04:31 PM
Personally, if Gill takes the job, I think he's stepping into a fantastic job opportunity. Head man at Liberty is a lucrative position at the FCS level, the admin is 110% behind football, and he'll have resources and patience from the head guys.

ASU_Fanatic
December 14th, 2011, 04:34 PM
Personally, if Gill takes the job, I think he's stepping into a fantastic job opportunity. Head man at Liberty is a lucrative position at the FCS level, the admin is 110% behind football, and he'll have resources and patience from the head guys.
Agreed, and Liberty probably has some of the most coachable kids in the country

PaladinFan
December 14th, 2011, 04:36 PM
Wow, talk about a fall from grace. Just three years ago, he was a lead man for the Auburn job.

He was Charles Barkley's lead man for the Auburn job.

LakesBison
December 14th, 2011, 04:40 PM
Liberty better not schedule NDSU, we know what happened at kansas last year.

Twentysix
December 14th, 2011, 04:48 PM
:O but they should schedule mcneese. Those scrubs couldnt beat gill. ;)

ngineer
December 14th, 2011, 07:52 PM
Well, Lehigh will be making the trip down to Falwell U next October. By 5th week of season, one would think the transition will have settled. I wasn't aware of the vacancy, did the HC get axed or leave for other pastures?

ngineer
December 14th, 2011, 08:17 PM
Well, Lehigh will be making the trip down to Falwell U next October. By 5th week of season, one would think the transition will have settled. I wasn't aware of the vacancy, did the HC get axed or leave for other pastures?

Never mind. Checked the News Feeds (I should check them more frequently). Rocco to Richmond. Interesting move. Upward to the extent it's a 'bigger time' league within FCS; however, seems to me to be tougher road to hoe than being in the Big South.

jcmanson
December 14th, 2011, 08:30 PM
Turner Gill will be announced as Liberty's newest Head Coach tomorrow afternoon at a 1:30 eastern time press conference

Seawolf97
December 14th, 2011, 08:42 PM
Great pick up ! Adds a little pretige to the Big South coaching circles.

heath
December 14th, 2011, 08:48 PM
Agreed, and Liberty probably has some of the most coachable kids in the country

what the heck do you mean by this? Do you even know about the kids and where they have been?

MR. CHICKEN
December 14th, 2011, 09:29 PM
16341.....NO DRINKIN'/DRUG TESTIN'/SHOPLIFTIN'.....NO PRE-MARITAL....BED WRESTLIN'........JES' PRACTICIN' PLAYS.......HELPIN' DUH ELDERLY..CROSS DUH STREET.....LOADIN' DUH PRE-GAME WALKMANS...WHIFF...KENNY G.....AN' THANKIN' GOD....FO'...VMI......ON DUH SKED.......EQUALS....COACHABLE..KIDS.....xrotatehx .....BRAWK!

LehighU11
December 15th, 2011, 01:44 AM
Looking forward to a trip down to Lynchburg next year. Williams Stadium looks beautiful, with a great game-day atmosphere. Hopefully the LU-LU game will be as great as this year's. With Turner Gill on the sidelines, this should be a tough one.

Lehigh Football Nation
December 15th, 2011, 09:05 AM
16341.....NO DRINKIN'/DRUG TESTIN'/SHOPLIFTIN'.....NO PRE-MARITAL....BED WRESTLIN'........JES' PRACTICIN' PLAYS.......HELPIN' DUH ELDERLY..CROSS DUH STREET.....LOADIN' DUH PRE-GAME WALKMANS...WHIFF...KENNY G.....AN' THANKIN' GOD....FO'...VMI......ON DUH SKED.......EQUALS....COACHABLE..KIDS.....xrotatehx .....BRAWK!

Mr. Chicken, from downtown! My morning coffee almost got spit out on my keyboard!

RichH2
December 15th, 2011, 09:48 AM
I remember Gill at UB. He built a program from less than nothing.Doubt he ,all of a sudden, became incompetent at Kansas. Good get for Liberty. He is a class coach

NoDak 4 Ever
December 15th, 2011, 09:52 AM
Good news, hopefully he get get them playing at a high level and we can find another quality OOC opponent. I hope he and Bohl still have a good relationship after the whole beating Kansas thing last year.

Franks Tanks
December 15th, 2011, 10:29 AM
I remember Gill at UB. He built a program from less than nothing.Doubt he ,all of a sudden, became incompetent at Kansas. Good get for Liberty. He is a class coach

He had one winning season at Buffalo, and his tenure at Kansas was a complete train wreck.

Kansas was down 56-0 at the half against Oklahoma State this year. He may do well at Liberty, but he deserved to be fired at Kansas.

HailSzczur
December 15th, 2011, 11:27 AM
#2 article on ESPN.com's NCAAF page
http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/7355274/fcs-school-liberty-flames-hire-ex-kansas-jayhawks-coach-turner-gill

danefan
December 15th, 2011, 11:30 AM
So how long until Liberty announces their move to FBS?

whitey
December 15th, 2011, 11:34 AM
Considering they'd have to find an existing FBS conference willing to invite them, long.

danefan
December 15th, 2011, 11:36 AM
Considering they'd have to find an existing FBS conference willing to invite them, long.

I can smell the Sun Belt around the corner......

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 15th, 2011, 11:46 AM
Interesting hire but it certainly makes sense from a Liberty perspective. I've followed Gill's career since his days at Buffalo and I really don't think he's a very good coach. His one year good year was more of a fluke than anything. He didn't recruit a lick or build anything solid since the Bulls are back to their usual place at the bottom of the MAC. Gill being a man of "integrity" and of "faith" was obviously his biggest selling point imo.

ngineer
December 15th, 2011, 12:52 PM

xlolxxlolxxbowxxbowxxlolxxlolx

The Brief
December 15th, 2011, 01:14 PM
I can smell the Sun Belt around the corner......

I don't know why anyone would want that fate on their football program.

danefan
December 15th, 2011, 02:35 PM
So how long until Liberty announces their move to FBS?

http://www.liberty.edu/news/index.cfm?PID=18495&MID=44319

Feasibility study under way.

Still a long way to go of course....but its in motion.

superman7515
December 15th, 2011, 09:53 PM
Charlie Skalaski, who was the recruiting coordinator and an offensive assitant, changed his mind and is not going to Richmond, instead he will interview with Turner Gill to try to stay on at Liberty.

Sly Fox
December 15th, 2011, 10:55 PM
He'll stay on staff along with another LU career assistant and our strength & conditioning guys. Skalaski has brought us a ton of talent from Florida over the years. Losing him to Richmond might have been as tough as losing Coach Rocco.