PDA

View Full Version : What are home playoff games worth?

FargoBison
December 14th, 2011, 12:22 AM
Besides the obvious home field advantage of course....NDSU has averaged right around 18k and here is the breakdown for all three games combined...

For NDSU.... $150,000
-$15,000 of that goes to Craig Bohl($5k incentive for each playoff home game)
-$3,500 of that also goes to each assistant coach($1.5k incentive for each playoff home game..max of $3.5k)

For the NCAA...$500,000

For the Fargodome...$90-105,000

http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/343916/

eaglewraith
December 14th, 2011, 06:15 AM
Gotta take away the minimum bid amount as well.

NoDak 4 Ever
December 14th, 2011, 07:08 AM
Gotta take away the minimum bid amount as well.

Isn't that minimum bid just a guarantee of ticket revenue? As long as tickets are sold and the NCAA gets it's cut does it matter?

henfan
December 14th, 2011, 07:43 AM
It's minimum bid plus 75% of the gate. Receipts aren't audited by the NCAA, so there's been the tendency, as many believe, for host schools to underreport ticket sales.

NoDak 4 Ever
December 14th, 2011, 07:51 AM
It's minimum bid plus 75% of the gate. Receipts aren't audited by the NCAA, so there's been the tendency, as many believe, for host schools to underreport ticket sales.

Well if the NCAA can't live off half a million dollars, they are doing something wrong.

bullitt_60
December 14th, 2011, 08:13 AM
Well if the NCAA can't live off half a million dollars, they are doing something wrong.

This is why teams under report attendance.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

NoDak 4 Ever
December 14th, 2011, 08:23 AM
You have to admit though, hidden in that article is a pretty interesting fact: Craig Bohl gets 3% of the ticket sales. This team averages 97% attendance. That, my friends, is a pretty penny.

Hammerhead
December 14th, 2011, 08:29 AM
Are you sure about that? I was also under the impression that the bid is just a minimum guarantee for the NCAA. The NCAA takes 75% of the net revenue or the bid amount, whichever is bigger.

The Eagle's Cliff
December 14th, 2011, 08:33 AM
There's a real benefit to places like Fargo and Mizzoula in being the "only game in town". We've always had relatively low attendance for playoffs, because a lot of people are otherwise engaged this time of year with seasonal activities. If North Dakota, South Dakota, Montana, Delaware, Maine, New Hampshire, and Rhode Island had more population, their NCAA Football programs would be FBS. Most FCS schools are regional universities in the shadow of larger state institutions.

appfan2008
December 14th, 2011, 09:06 AM
I think it is a joke that 75% has to go to the NCAA... that is a huge chunck of change...

putter
December 14th, 2011, 09:07 AM
Really Cliff? We have an NAIA school here in Montana called Carroll College and they will be playing in your fine state this Saturday in the NC game. When the Cats and Griz both hosted their games (11,000+ and 22,000+ respectively) Carroll had approx 5000 (sold out) attendance at their semi-final game. Was Georgia or GT playing last weekend? I think it is more than just population - it's just being a football fan of your school. NDSU fans, if they wanted to, could go to Minnesota games instead to get their FBS fix.

frozennorth
December 14th, 2011, 10:17 AM
There's a real benefit to places like Fargo and Mizzoula in being the "only game in town". We've always had relatively low attendance for playoffs, because a lot of people are otherwise engaged this time of year with seasonal activities. If North Dakota, South Dakota, Montana, Delaware, Maine, New Hampshire, and Rhode Island had more population, their NCAA Football programs would be FBS. Most FCS schools are regional universities in the shadow of larger state institutions.
Umass was really a weird exception to this rule, as is suny albany. State school in big states. Sitting second fiddle to syracuse is strange.

The Eagle's Cliff
December 14th, 2011, 04:49 PM
I'm not knocking the schools I mentioned. Just pointing out that regional universities, like GSU, are in a big shadow. To people around here, "College Football" = SEC. They look down their nose at the ACC and by the time you get to FCS, it's "glorified high school football", which is actually kind of true when one considers the fact we have several high schools in Georgia who put 15K in the seats on any Friday night.

The fans we have at Ga Southern are great, but there aren't nearly as many as there should be given our accomplishments over the last 25 years. Statesboro supports the school well, but even the smaller towns within a 30 mile radius are Bulldog Country. The Catch 22 being we need money to crawl out of the shadow, but being out of the shadow is the main way to raise money. We're trying, but it can be very disheartening to see 75% capacity at a Quarter Final playoff game when it's the first one hosted in 10 years.

The Brief
December 14th, 2011, 05:05 PM
I'm not knocking the schools I mentioned. Just pointing out that regional universities, like GSU, are in a big shadow. To people around here, "College Football" = SEC. They look down their nose at the ACC and by the time you get to FCS, it's "glorified high school football", which is actually kind of true when one considers the fact we have several high schools in Georgia who put 15K in the seats on any Friday night.

The fans we have at Ga Southern are great, but there aren't nearly as many as there should be given our accomplishments over the last 25 years. Statesboro supports the school well, but even the smaller towns within a 30 mile radius are Bulldog Country. The Catch 22 being we need money to crawl out of the shadow, but being out of the shadow is the main way to raise money. We're trying, but it can be very disheartening to see 75% capacity at a Quarter Final playoff game when it's the first one hosted in 10 years.

For proof, all you have to do is look at our students throughout the school day. UGA & Tech shirts everywhere you go on campus. The worst was people wearing their Bama shirts on campus the week we played them. I imagine you guys up there don't have that problem.

Twentysix
December 14th, 2011, 05:06 PM
Really Cliff? We have an NAIA school here in Montana called Carroll College and they will be playing in your fine state this Saturday in the NC game. When the Cats and Griz both hosted their games (11,000+ and 22,000+ respectively) Carroll had approx 5000 (sold out) attendance at their semi-final game. Was Georgia or GT playing last weekend? I think it is more than just population - it's just being a football fan of your school. NDSU fans, if they wanted to, could go to Minnesota games instead to get their FBS fix.

Not to mention a large part of the NDSU fanbase is from minnesota... and I don't mean moorhead.

Bronco
December 14th, 2011, 05:09 PM
Also big bucks for the community. Restaurants, Hotels and DUI tickets

The Brief
December 14th, 2011, 05:11 PM

And the fact that we are not in a large city. Statesboro only has 29,000 residents, and a well over ten thousand of those are college students living off campus.

p.s. Rome, GA blows. My hometown.

SumItUp
December 14th, 2011, 06:31 PM
Has anyone priced charter flights? The NCAA pays the expenses of the traveling teams. Not all games result in a $500K check to the NCAA.

Silenoz
December 14th, 2011, 06:42 PM

That's not what SeattleGriz says!

;)

TheBisonator
December 15th, 2011, 01:38 AM
For proof, all you have to do is look at our students throughout the school day. UGA & Tech shirts everywhere you go on campus. The worst was people wearing their Bama shirts on campus the week we played them. I imagine you guys up there don't have that problem.

Two things:

There's quite a few Minn Gophers fans amongst the student body, but people find it easy to be both a Bison fan and a Gopher fan.

We have a school 75 miles to the north of us who wields a LOT of politcal power in our state who siphons a good amount of our potential fan base away. There's a lot of fans of this school living in Fargo-Moorhead. What happens is that alums of this school can't find any decent jobs in Grand Forks, so they decide to move to Fargo to get a job. Then they teach their kids to grow up to be fans of that school without a nickname. Which in turn dilutes the notion that Fargo is an "NDSU town".