PDA

View Full Version : ASU not started talking to conferences

boonegoon
December 13th, 2011, 02:02 PM
Looks like we may be staying for a while. I'm glad, frankly. While many of us here thought CUSA would be option 1, not so much from the chancellor.

http://www2.wataugademocrat.com/News/story/ASU-has-not-started-talking-to-conferences-Peacock-says-id-006564

HailSzczur
December 13th, 2011, 02:07 PM
ASU might not be ready to talk conferences, but AGS is more than ready to do it for them.

WH49er
December 13th, 2011, 02:21 PM
Good to hear, App is in a really good position for a shake up down the road. Now let's start a series, 2015/2016? xnodx

DFW HOYA
December 13th, 2011, 02:45 PM
There's a food chain in I-A athletics, and C-USA is not going to look to I-A to fill spots. They look to the Sun Belt or WAC, which then looks to I-AA.

GaSouthern
December 13th, 2011, 02:49 PM
There's a food chain in I-A athletics, and C-USA is not going to look to I-A to fill spots. They look to the Sun Belt or WAC, which then looks to I-AA.

The Sun Belt is no longer interested in FCS schools sadly

BEAR
December 13th, 2011, 02:59 PM

I thought the Sunbelt was an FCS conference. xlolx

FargoBison
December 13th, 2011, 03:00 PM

Sadly? Who in the hell would want to join the SWAC of the FBS.....

BEAR
December 13th, 2011, 03:01 PM
Sadly? Who in the hell would want to join the SWAC of the FBS.....

xlolxxlolxxlolx

GaSouthern
December 13th, 2011, 03:01 PM
Unlike most, I actually would be happy if we were going to join them.

I do enjoy the SoCon (as long as Appy stays) and the playoffs though.

bullitt_60
December 13th, 2011, 03:26 PM

A mid-tier one at that.

asumike83
December 13th, 2011, 04:27 PM
Looks like we may be staying for a while. I'm glad, frankly. While many of us here thought CUSA would be option 1, not so much from the chancellor.

http://www2.wataugademocrat.com/News/story/ASU-has-not-started-talking-to-conferences-Peacock-says-id-006564

I think that is all just posturing. If C-USA gave us an offer, we would be CRAZY not to take it. The fact is, they are not interested in us at this point and there are really no good alternatives to explore that make the move financially feasible.

Honestly, I am glad we appear to be staying for a while too. We have arguably the three best, toughest schedules we have ever had in the next three years. In 2012, we will play the C-USA team most important to our fan base, open up the season with one of the top FCS programs in the country and host Furman for Black Saturday in a season finale that will likely have serious playoff implications.

Playing these great schedules will only bolster the fan support, increase revenue and give us time to do another expansion to KBS that would be necessary before making a move anyhow. For now, we can enjoy the great match-ups we worked so hard to broker, enhance our facilities, give the FBS conferences time to sort themselves out and make our move if/when the time is right.

The Brief
December 13th, 2011, 05:31 PM
Why would any top level FCS school want to move up to FBS? I get for the money, but by killing your football program. ASU is an FCS powerhouse. Why would anyone want to give that up to be 3-5 win team on a yearly basis? look at what happened to Western Kentucky. It's very embarassing. I would never want to sacrifice my football team for a few more dollars.

cbarrier90
December 13th, 2011, 05:36 PM
Why would any top level FCS school want to move up to FBS? I get for the money, but by killing your football program. ASU is an FCS powerhouse. Why would anyone want to give that up to be 3-5 win team on a yearly basis? look at what happened to Western Kentucky. It's very embarassing. I would never want to sacrifice my football team for a few more dollars.

Not that it means much, but they went 7-1 in the Sun Belt this year...xcoffeex

The Brief
December 13th, 2011, 05:42 PM
Not that it means much, but they went 7-1 in the Sun Belt this year...xcoffeex

7-1 in the weakest conference in the FBS and worse than several FCS conferences (SoCon, CAA, & MVFC) and getting pasted by Indiana State 44-16 is not something I'd throw a party over. WKU's highlight this season is looking halfway competitive to LSU for the first half.

The Eagle's Cliff
December 13th, 2011, 05:53 PM
When you start talking reclassification and Conference affiliation, take off your football cap and put on your accountant-publicist-travel agent cap. I-AA schools who have invested or are in the process of investing millions into facilities and fundraising aren't doing it to be better in the SoCon and CAA. There might also be a couple of CUSA and Sunbelt schools who see greener grass in a brand new conference once CUSA is raided of the bigger markets by the Big East.

This time next year, things will begin to take shape as we enter the last season of the current BCS contract.

ursus arctos horribilis
December 13th, 2011, 06:01 PM

The money isn't there either for the majority of those that have moved up. FCS is a smaller pocket of fans, no doubt about that but at least this group of fans respects and reveres the good programs that are here. It isn't so for the middlin' teams that move up. Then you lose the attachment and reverance that the fans at this level had for you to.

Blueandwhitefightfight
December 13th, 2011, 07:11 PM
At some point we as FCS fans, whether we are for or against our programs moving up or not, have to realize that the FCS is only going to be pushed further into mediocrity as time moves on. When the BCS is done, what do you really think is going to happen? I'll tell you the general idea: THE RICH ARE GOING TO GET RICHER AND THE POOR ARE GOING TO GET POORER

We have to compete with them now for a share of the market. The smaller teams AND conferences are already being marginalized. Look at all the realignment that has already occurred. At this moment, the stability of the college football is very low.

http://collegesportsinfo.com/conference-realignment-grid/

We have to consider what will happen to not only programs like App. St., Georgia Southern, Delaware, 'Nova, JMU, Montana, etc. but to the entire FCS as a whole.

If you think we don't get much attention from the average sports fan or general public (or hell even ESPN), I'm telling you that it's only going to get worse.

Honestly, I would be in favor of dissolving the FCS. Either
1- play full fledged Division I football
2- move down and play DII football
3- scrap your team

When the BCS ends and the FBS institutes a playoff system, the FCS will lose all credibility. The only thing we have to say that we are credible now is that we have the playoff system. When the FBS gets a playoff system, we have nothing.

TSU86
December 13th, 2011, 07:50 PM
AGREED !!!!
A top school knows they have a chance to win a Natl Championship every year. If an ASU, delaware, JMU, whoever move to FBS.... what is the goal? if they do real well, they can go to the Poulan Weedeater Bowl in Shreveport. Look at the MAC. I enjoy watching them on TV, but at the end of the day, are they percieved to be "big time"?

frozennorth
December 13th, 2011, 08:03 PM
[QUOTE=TSU86;1750592 at the end of the day, are they percieved to be "big time"?[/QUOTE]
No, but the MWC is pretty damn close.

There is a big difference in moving up between a state flagship (montana, delaware, ndsu, etc) and being a directional school or random private school. The flagships are much more likely to see success, particularily the montana's, nevadas, and other out-market schools.

darell1976
December 13th, 2011, 08:19 PM
No, but the MWC is pretty damn close.

There is a big difference in moving up between a state flagship (montana, delaware, UND, etc) and being a directional school or random private school. The flagships are much more likely to see success, particularily the montana's, nevadas, and other out-market schools.

FIFY....NDSU is not a flagship school.
http://diplomaguide.com/articles/Top_North_Dakota_Colleges_and_Universities.html

The University of North Dakota is a public educational institution and was founded in 1883. Located in Grand Forks, the University of North Dakota has an undergraduate student population of 10,125. The University of North Dakota is the flagship university in the state's public university system. It is also the oldest and largest university in the state. There are ten schools and colleges at the University of North Dakota: Aerospace Sciences, Arts and Sciences, Business and Public Administration, Education and Human Development, Engineering and Mines, Graduate School, Law, Medicine and Health Sciences, Nursing and Continuing Education. The undergraduate tuition for residents is $6,130 and $14,523 for non-residents.

MplsBison
December 13th, 2011, 08:31 PM
I don't get the Big East expansion and CUSA/MWC mergers.

Those conferences are about to be shut out of the big dollar bowls altogether. There will be no more automatic access for the winners of those conferences to the Rose, Fiesta, Sugar and Orange bowls.

LakesBison
December 13th, 2011, 08:32 PM
their flag is limp like their d.cks. NDSU's flag shows multiple NCAA runs in every sport, not just 1 played by canadians.

MplsBison
December 13th, 2011, 08:36 PM
their flag is limp like their d.cks. NDSU's flag shows multiple NCAA runs in every sport, not just 1 played by canadians.

Ban lakes

FarSouthBison
December 13th, 2011, 08:37 PM
Darell may I ask you, if NDSU isn't the flagship Univ. who is and why?

darell1976
December 13th, 2011, 08:37 PM
their flag is limp like my d.ck. NDSU's flag shows multiple NCAA runs in every sport, not just 1 played by canadians.

FIFY

darell1976
December 13th, 2011, 08:40 PM
Darell may I ask you, if NDSU isn't the flagship Univ. who is and why?

Read post #20

LakesBison
December 13th, 2011, 09:28 PM
mplsbison and darrel spooning as usual

mainejeff
December 13th, 2011, 09:30 PM
Why would anyone want to join an FBS conference that may not be around in 12 months?

ninerID
December 13th, 2011, 09:33 PM
but, but, but the super secret invite. but, but, but, coaches were telling recruits they were going to CUSA......

frozennorth
December 13th, 2011, 09:34 PM
FIFY....NDSU is not a flagship school.
http://diplomaguide.com/articles/Top_North_Dakota_Colleges_and_Universities.html
North dakota, like south dakota, montana, michigan, and a handful of other states, has a dual flagship.

UND is a flagship in name only anyway. If not for a 3rd rate legacy law school, it would have no serious claim at all.

cbarrier90
December 13th, 2011, 09:51 PM
but, but, but the super secret invite. but, but, but, coaches were telling recruits they were going to CUSA......

Pretty sure the C-USA MWC merger killed any of this talk. But feel free to keep trolling any ASU to FBS threads...

asumike83
December 13th, 2011, 09:52 PM

Only thing worse than a troll is an un-funny, repetitive troll. Pretty sure I've read this exact same post at least two other times and it was only mildly amusing the first attempt. Make me laugh clown!

ASU_Fanatic
December 13th, 2011, 10:16 PM
Good to hear, App is in a really good position for a shake up down the road. Now let's start a series, 2015/2016? xnodxWould be awesome, now take off those crappy D2 schools clogged up on your schedule.

ASU_Fanatic
December 13th, 2011, 10:17 PM
I'm fine with it, this was we get to keep competing for Natty Titles, keeping the 'Battle for the Old Mountain Jug' going and hopefully starting new rivalries with Charlotte.

cbarrier90
December 13th, 2011, 10:35 PM
I'm fine with it, this was we get to keep competing for Natty Titles, keeping the 'Battle for the Old Mountain Jug' going and hopefully starting new rivalries with Charlotte.

No offense, but I'd hope that would be the last reason ASU decides to prolong a stay in FCS.

grayghost06
December 13th, 2011, 11:45 PM

I have read that too. It's amusing to me because some of the schools that may be looking to move up already outdraw them ( avg. attendance about 19,500 in SBC), in some cases dramatically- and that's with home schedules of FCS schools. The conferences that the potential aspiring schools currently compete in are generally rated higher, even with 22 less scholarships. And where exactly does the Slum Belt think they will draw additional schools from should one of their schools defect?
To me it's moot anyway- it would be a step down and I'd rather stay FCS unless an East Coast League were formed.

ursus arctos horribilis
December 14th, 2011, 12:33 AM
At some point we as FCS fans, whether we are for or against our programs moving up or not, have to realize that the FCS is only going to be pushed further into mediocrity as time moves on. When the BCS is done, what do you really think is going to happen? I'll tell you the general idea: THE RICH ARE GOING TO GET RICHER AND THE POOR ARE GOING TO GET POORER

We have to compete with them now for a share of the market. The smaller teams AND conferences are already being marginalized. Look at all the realignment that has already occurred. At this moment, the stability of the college football is very low.

We have to consider what will happen to not only programs like App. St., Georgia Southern, Delaware, 'Nova, JMU, Montana, etc. but to the entire FCS as a whole.

If you think we don't get much attention from the average sports fan or general public (or hell even ESPN), I'm telling you that it's only going to get worse.

3- scrap your team

When the BCS ends and the FBS institutes a playoff system, the FCS will lose all credibility. The only thing we have to say that we are credible now is that we have the playoff system. When the FBS gets a playoff system, we have nothing.

Sorry man, just doesn't make any more sense the way you lay it out. When the 64 or so BCS teams are all set up the ones that are really ****ed are the non BCS schools left in FBS. It ain't the FCS schools that will be in a worse position. FCS teams don't depend on that BCS gravy train that will be coming to an end.

GSU, UM, and App have all done studies and only App's study said there was money to be had to make the move If THE CORRECT conference alignment came about for them. That meant CUSA, not Sun Belt from what I understand. So if all those people are wrong I'd be happy to see you lay it our for us.

Blueandwhitefightfight
December 14th, 2011, 02:49 AM
Sorry man, just doesn't make any more sense the way you lay it out. When the 64 or so BCS teams are all set up the ones that are really ****ed are the non BCS schools left in FBS. It ain't the FCS schools that will be in a worse position. FCS teams don't depend on that BCS gravy train that will be coming to an end.

GSU, UM, and App have all done studies and only App's study said there was money to be had to make the move If THE CORRECT conference alignment came about for them. That meant CUSA, not Sun Belt from what I understand. So if all those people are wrong I'd be happy to see you lay it our for us.

No what I'm saying is that the bottom tier FBS schools AND the FCS are ****ed. That is what we should all be worried about.The rich (BCS) will stay rich. The not rich (non BCS FBS and FCS) are screwed.

Skjellyfetti
December 14th, 2011, 05:47 AM
GSU, UM, and App have all done studies and only App's study said there was money to be had to make the move If THE CORRECT conference alignment came about for them. That meant CUSA, not Sun Belt from what I understand.

No. This isn't quite right. You're confusing the feasibility committee with our athletic director. The feasibility committee never said anything about Conference USA and not the Sun Belt. Our athletic director said the Sun Belt is not worth the move from a financial standpoint.

Smitty
December 14th, 2011, 07:22 AM
Wow from what all of the App fans were talking about it was a done deal...

Apphole
December 14th, 2011, 07:49 AM

But, but, but you got denied from the Big South!

Apphole
December 14th, 2011, 07:53 AM
App will be joining a new FBS conference in the near future once all the red tape for starting such a conference is cleared up and certain other schools get their FBS-stadiums.

StorminASU
December 14th, 2011, 07:54 AM

Ouch!

ASUMountaineer
December 14th, 2011, 08:01 AM
7-1 in the weakest conference in the FBS and worse than several FCS conferences (SoCon, CAA, & MVFC) and getting pasted by Indiana State 44-16 is not something I'd throw a party over. WKU's highlight this season is looking halfway competitive to LSU for the first half.

With all due respect, I would say the WAC is the weakest conference in FBS. With that said, very few ASU fans supporting a move to FBS would support a move to the SunBelt. None of us know what will happen, but the sports "journalists" saying ASU to CUSA was a done deal were W.R.O.N.G.

WH49er
December 14th, 2011, 09:07 AM

Are you a professional **** sipper or is it just a hobby for you?

Talk about repeat material. Both the Big South and SoCon "turned us down" but are willing to schedule us. If they wanted to put Charlotte in a tough spot, they wouldn't play us. Plain and simple. Here is our schedule if you want facts.

2013 (12 game season)

Aug. 31 - CAMPBELL (Pioneer)
Sept. 7 - CHOWAN (DII)
Sept. 14 - NC CENTRAL (MEAC)
Sept. 21 - at Old Dominion (CAA)
Sept. 28 - at Presbyterian (BIG SOUTH)
Oct. 5 - GARDNER-WEBB (BIG SOUTH)
Oct. 12 - UNC PEMBROKE (DII)
Oct. 26 - at Charleston Southern (BIG SOUTH)
Nov. 2 - at Coastal Carolina (BIG SOUTH)
Nov. 9 - NORTH GREENVILLE (DII)
Nov. 23 - at Morehead State (PIONEER)

2014 (12 game season)

Thurs Aug. 28 - at Campbell (PIONEER)
Sept. 6 - JOHNSON C. SMITH (DII)
Sept. 13 - at NC Central (MEAC)
Sept. 20 - OLD DOMINION (CAA)
Sept. 27 - CHARLESTON SOUTHERN (BIG SOUTH)
Oct. 4 - at Gardner Webb (BIG SOUTH)
Oct. 11 - at The Citadel (SOCON)
Oct. 25 - GEORGIA SOUTHERN (SOCON)
Nov. 1 - at Western Carolina (SOCON)
Nov. 8 - COASTAL CAROLINA (BIG SOUTH)
Nov. 15 - at Furman (SOCON)
Nov. 22 - MOREHEAD STATE (PIONEER)

2015 (11 game season)

Sept. 12 - PRESBYTERIAN (BIG SOUTH)
Sept. 19 - JOHNSON C. SMITH (DII)
Sept. 26 - at Georgia Southern (SOCON)
TBD - FURMAN (SOCON)
TBD - WESTERN CAROLINA (SOCON)

Back on topic. I'm glad App. is staying because despite some of their fans, their program is an asset to FCS.

Apphole
December 14th, 2011, 09:12 AM
No one cares about your slack schedule. App would lose 1 million in donations with a BS schedule like that. Those SoCon and CAA schools scheduled you for an easy win. Move along fetus.

Apphole
December 14th, 2011, 09:46 AM
I was never sold on C-USA. ECU fans are always complaining about only playing 2 schools in their time zone. I do not envy them. We have a great traveling fan base, even by FBS standards. No need so sacrific that. We are being selective and strategic. The new conference will be coming together soon. There are already talks among influential players at multiple schools.

phoenix3
December 14th, 2011, 10:00 AM

3- scrap your team

Depending upon your point of view, a version of this is happening right now. The BCS conferences are realigning to take in the better teams in the larger media markets, and leaving even good teams in smaller markets to fend for themselves in the post season. Example? Take a look at ECU. A great football program that is very well supported by the fans. They have a top knotch stadium and decent facilities for baseball and basketball. So why doesn't the Big East even want to consider them? They are in a tiny media market.

I give it 7 to 10 years before either the NCAA designates the non BCS schools a separate "Division 1" division or ESPN indirectly takes over the current BCS division. The FBS non-BCS teams already look a lot like the old "Division I-AA" with this new realignment. I think that when it is all said & done, 7 to 10 years from now, the teams/conferences that can hack it in the FCS will be merged with the non-BCS "Division I" conferences for consilidation purposes.

I may be a conspiricy theororist, but if one looks closely, it is hard to argue against some version of this.

SpeedkingATL
December 14th, 2011, 12:53 PM
Depending upon your point of view, a version of this is happening right now. The BCS conferences are realigning to take in the better teams in the larger media markets, and leaving even good teams in smaller markets to fend for themselves in the post season. Example? Take a look at ECU. A great football program that is very well supported by the fans. They have a top knotch stadium and decent facilities for baseball and basketball. So why doesn't the Big East even want to consider them? They are in a tiny media market.

I give it 7 to 10 years before either the NCAA designates the non BCS schools a separate "Division 1" division or ESPN indirectly takes over the current BCS division. The FBS non-BCS teams already look a lot like the old "Division I-AA" with this new realignment. I think that when it is all said & done, 7 to 10 years from now, the teams/conferences that can hack it in the FCS will be merged with the non-BCS "Division I" conferences for consilidation purposes.

I may be a conspiricy theororist, but if one looks closely, it is hard to argue against some version of this.

+1

Skjellyfetti
December 14th, 2011, 01:15 PM
Full feasibility report posted on goasu.com today.

http://www.goasu.com/pdf8/805466.pdf?SPSID=104441&SPID=12805&DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=21500

ursus arctos horribilis
December 14th, 2011, 01:50 PM
No what I'm saying is that the bottom tier FBS schools AND the FCS are ****ed. That is what we should all be worried about.The rich (BCS) will stay rich. The not rich (non BCS FBS and FCS) are screwed.

Ahhh...I got ya now. That I can go along with but I think what may happen is that there will be a slight reduction in schollies for the left over FBS and a slight tick up for the FCS that want to take the path to meet that level. It would be a more affordable alternative for both sets and a playoff could be maintained as it is now. It would also open up more conference alternatives to minimize costs for member schools. There are some real good names out there that won't be in a BCS league that would be great additions to a division with the SoCon, BSC, MVFC, CAA, etc., etc.

As long as the playoff is intact I'd be in favor of it all coming together like that.

ursus arctos horribilis
December 14th, 2011, 01:52 PM
No. This isn't quite right. You're confusing the feasibility committee with our athletic director. The feasibility committee never said anything about Conference USA and not the Sun Belt. Our athletic director said the Sun Belt is not worth the move from a financial standpoint.

My mistake, I thought he was relying on the information from the feasibility study when he said that.

ursus arctos horribilis
December 14th, 2011, 02:00 PM

Jesus, I do this all the time by responding on a prior page, then turning the page and seeing what I just relayed already out there. Good on ya Phoenix.

Jazzman1522
December 14th, 2011, 08:15 PM
I agree with the notion that if the FBS switches to a playoff, FCS is pretty much screwed. However, I think we're getting further and further away from that ever happening. The BCS only benefits six of the eleven conferences in the FBS, and those conferences, with the exception of the Big East, are getting bigger and more powerful. And for the Big East to keep up, it's going to have to plunder some of the better schools in some of the smaller conferences. As the big conferences get bigger, I think the BCS gets more locked in.

As far as FCS schools moving up to FBS, I think each program needs to seriously consider what that's going to do to their fanbase long term. After WKU announced it was making the move, a lot of students at Eastern said, "Why don't we do that?" Obviously, EKU doesn't have a strong enough fan base to support the move. But even if we did, we're 30 minutes from the University of Kentucky, which is a huge part of our problem. A lot of people in the area of Eastern, support UK first and Eastern second. I think the fact that we're in the FCS and not competing against UK for any kind of title helps a little. But if we moved to the FBS, we lose whatever relevancy we have left in the area.

Obviously, App. State's got a great fan base. But I'm curious as to whether or not anyone sees this as a potential problem for them.

91Niner
December 15th, 2011, 12:19 PM

There you go again Apphole........being disingenuous and trying to insinuate that the Big South turned us down for full membership. You know we were turned down as a "football-only" only school, while Ap. apparently is getting very little interest for "all-sports" membership anywhere outside of the SoCon. You know as well as I do that the Big South, SoCon or CAA would take Charlotte for all sports.

phoenix3
December 16th, 2011, 07:49 AM
I agree with the notion that if the FBS switches to a playoff, FCS is pretty much screwed. However, I think we're getting further and further away from that ever happening. The BCS only benefits six of the eleven conferences in the FBS, and those conferences, with the exception of the Big East, are getting bigger and more powerful. And for the Big East to keep up, it's going to have to plunder some of the better schools in some of the smaller conferences. As the big conferences get bigger, I think the BCS gets more locked in.

As far as FCS schools moving up to FBS, I think each program needs to seriously consider what that's going to do to their fanbase long term. After WKU announced it was making the move, a lot of students at Eastern said, "Why don't we do that?" Obviously, EKU doesn't have a strong enough fan base to support the move. But even if we did, we're 30 minutes from the University of Kentucky, which is a huge part of our problem. A lot of people in the area of Eastern, support UK first and Eastern second. I think the fact that we're in the FCS and not competing against UK for any kind of title helps a little. But if we moved to the FBS, we lose whatever relevancy we have left in the area.

Obviously, App. State's got a great fan base. But I'm curious as to whether or not anyone sees this as a potential problem for them.

To the contrary, I feel like App will have to move up to stay on the same level. The current "FCS" will cease to exist in its current state within the next ten years. The FCS will be like Division II is today, a third level of football. It wouldn't surprise me if the NCAA merged the FCS & DII in some manner in the future. Either that or dissolve the FCS giving the member teams the choice of going D II or moving "up" to combine with the lower level/non-BCS conferences. I absolutely do see a definitive FBS split between the BCS and Non-BCS conferences. I also believe that the NCAA will not support 5 separate levels of football. DI BCS, DI Non-BCS, DI FCS, DII, DIII. So, IMO, App will be forced to "move up" at some point in the not to distant future anyway.

cbarrier90
December 16th, 2011, 09:27 AM
There you go again Apphole........being disingenuous and trying to insinuate that the Big South turned us down for full membership. You know we were turned down as a "football-only" only school

This is true, however, the fact remains that you were in one way or another rejected by the powerhouse that is the Big South Conference

while Ap. apparently is getting very little interest for "all-sports" membership anywhere outside of the SoCon.

There's a difference between having little to no interest from other conferences and waiting for the right opportunities to open up. The latter is the case here.

You know as well as I do that the Big South, SoCon or CAA would take Charlotte for all sports.

This is also true. So why didn't they take the offers?

Saint3333
December 16th, 2011, 10:19 AM
Because they'd rather finish 10th in the A10 vs. 7th in the CAA or 4th in the SoCon in basketball.

Seriously though the CAA makes sense. They are very close to the A10 in basketball if not even recently, good football conference, and travel would be less (better natural rivals).

whitey
December 16th, 2011, 11:25 AM
Seriously though the CAA makes sense. They are very close to the A10 in basketball if not even recently, good football conference, and travel would be less (better natural rivals).

Not to mention the CAA is full of institutions more like Charlotte than the A-10. The A-10 has 4 public institutions (Charlotte, UMass, Temple and Rhode Island). The rest are all medium to small privates. The CAA on the other hand only has 3 privates (Hofstra, Northeastern and Drexel).

WH49er
December 16th, 2011, 02:34 PM

4th in the SoCon? I'd love to have some of what you're smoking. We just blew out your best team in Davidson.

I agree that the CAA makes sense but we currently have one money sport and that is basketball. The A-10 has 3-4 teams make the tournament every year and the CAA usually has 1 or 2, A10 $$$ > CAA $$$. Until football provides more revenue than basketball, we will stay in the A10.

This is the logic our AD is using which could end up being detrimental to the football program.

phoenix3
December 16th, 2011, 02:43 PM
Not to mention the CAA is full of institutions more like Charlotte than the A-10. The A-10 has 4 public institutions (Charlotte, UMass, Temple and Rhode Island). The rest are all medium to small privates. The CAA on the other hand only has 3 privates (Hofstra, Northeastern and Drexel).

Richmond?

whitey
December 16th, 2011, 02:54 PM
I was talking all sports since I think the discussion was about Charlotte moving all sports to the CAA. Richmond is in the conference for football with the rest of their sports in the A10.

Saint3333
December 16th, 2011, 03:40 PM
4th in the SoCon? I'd love to have some of what you're smoking. We just blew out your best team in Davidson.

Pretty simple, I used last year's RPI. CofC is clearly the best team this year.

cbarrier90
December 16th, 2011, 03:46 PM
I agree that the CAA makes sense but we currently have one money sport and that is basketball. The A-10 has 3-4 teams make the tournament every year and the CAA usually has 1 or 2, A10 $$$ > CAA $$$. Until football provides more revenue than basketball, we will stay in the A10.

This is the logic our AD is using which could end up being detrimental to the football program.

Finally! Someone who gets it!

And as Saint said, C of C will run away with the SoCon this year.

Phoenix, Richmond is a private school.

91Niner
December 16th, 2011, 06:20 PM
Pretty simple, I used last year's RPI. CofC is clearly the best team this year.

Lets see, literally our worst season (RPI and record) since 1985-86 and we would still have been 4th best in the SoCon......yeah we're gonna jump at the chance to move all sports to the SoCon. xsalutex

HappyAppy
December 16th, 2011, 07:18 PM
Lets see, literally our worst season (RPI and record) since 1985-86 and we would still have been 4th best in the SoCon......yeah we're gonna jump at the chance to move all sports to the SoCon. xsalutex

Try again. 4th was giving you too much credit. Last year you finished 28 spots behind the 7th highest ranked SoCon team. Take a look at RPI the last 5 years. Using the mythical RPI litmus test, you have an 8th, 7th, and 4th place finish in there. You also have a 2nd place that was a mere 14 RPI slots away from being a 4th.

A-10 blows SoCon out of the water in basketball, no doubt about that. You've had about as much to do with that as NC State has had to do with the success of the ACC.

Saint3333
December 16th, 2011, 08:42 PM
Good analogy Happy.

I'll stand by my statement UNCC should jump at the chance to join the CAA for all sports. Finishing 10th in the A-10 vs. 8th in the CAA, what's the difference?

phoenix3
December 16th, 2011, 09:09 PM
Jeez! Ok, I can see that I have to do more than post one word/name here now. Yes, Richmond is a private. I know that, that is why I posted "Richmond?" when in a football thread Richmond was not listed as a private.

Blueandwhitefightfight
December 16th, 2011, 09:16 PM
Back on topic to relevant schools...

How does the App. fan base feel about all of this news?

cbarrier90
December 16th, 2011, 09:29 PM
Jeez! Ok, I can see that I have to do more than post one word/name here now.

Yep.

cbarrier90
December 16th, 2011, 09:31 PM

Would welcome them with open arms. Much like you guys and Georgia State, the smack between the two schools is rather unnecessary.

Blueandwhitefightfight
December 16th, 2011, 09:32 PM
Would welcome them with open arms. Much like you guys and Georgia State, the smack between the two schools is rather unnecessary.

No. I was talking about App. and the not talking to C-USA news. Not the UNCC or GA State fail mobs...

cbarrier90
December 16th, 2011, 09:38 PM
No. I was talking about App. and the not talking to C-USA news. Not the UNCC or GA State fail mobs...

Disappointed, but not surprised. Glad they're waiting for the right time, and I'm confident the administration will put the school in position to make the move, if they haven't already.

49RFootballNow
December 16th, 2011, 10:34 PM

If our goal is to move to FBS as soon as possible, and I've yet to see any indication from the actions of our administration to lead me to believe that's not the plan, then why would we traumatize our other athletics programs by moving them to a third conference in the same decade? We bide our time.

Good analogy Happy.

I'll stand by my statement UNCC should jump at the chance to join the CAA for all sports. Finishing 10th in the A-10 vs. 8th in the CAA, what's the difference?

Money, and yes that IS the most important thing in college athletics.

asumike83
December 16th, 2011, 10:56 PM
Money, and yes that IS the most important thing in college athletics.

Absolutely, but won't your football program be out-earning basketball very soon after if not immediately upon starting?

I could be wrong but I'd think that moving football to a conference that would raise your profile and expedite a move to the FBS would be the most beneficial long term, which the CAA would almost certainly do without that large of a drop-off in basketball.

Apphole
December 17th, 2011, 07:17 AM
As usual the Cee fans are piggy backing on an ASU thread to gain much needed publicity. Can we talk about real colleges now?

91Niner
December 17th, 2011, 09:10 PM
Try again. 4th was giving you too much credit. Last year you finished 28 spots behind the 7th highest ranked SoCon team. Take a look at RPI the last 5 years. Using the mythical RPI litmus test, you have an 8th, 7th, and 4th place finish in there. You also have a 2nd place that was a mere 14 RPI slots away from being a 4th.

A-10 blows SoCon out of the water in basketball, no doubt about that. You've had about as much to do with that as NC State has had to do with the success of the ACC.

Hey, I was just using the other posters comment saying we'd have been 4th last year........but whatever, how many SoCon teams beat top 10 teams in their worst season in 25 years?

WH49er
December 18th, 2011, 07:56 PM
As usual the Cee fans are piggy backing on an ASU thread to gain much needed publicity. Can we talk about real colleges now?

So says the troll who has posted in every Charlotte thread on this board. Please go back to starting smack threads and back peddling when the opposing team smacks you down.

Once App. expands their stadium the talk is only going to get bigger. What's plan B? Continue to grow on the FCS level or hope a new FBS conference is created?

ysubigred
December 19th, 2011, 07:23 AM
Wrong!! D-II xdizzyx

AppMan
December 19th, 2011, 09:54 AM

Paul is this you?

As much as I want to see ASU play FBS football I am not so blinded by the idea it takes away all my common sense. The administration has publicly stated ASU will only consider a regional conference and I am fine with that. Excessive travel would kill our athletic budget and the current make up of CUSA and certainly the proposed merger with the MWC, would be the death nail to ASU athletics. Ever since this FBS talk began there has been the idea of this regional conference in the background. Various members of ASU's athletic staff have mentioned it numerous trimes and I have to think there is someting to it.