PDA

View Full Version : Former Notre Dame QB Dayne Crist Spends Two Days Visiting Delaware

superman7515
December 12th, 2011, 10:39 PM
Chicago Tribune (http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/college/chi-after-kansas-notre-dame-qb-crist-eyes-delaware-wisconsin-20111212,0,4383029.story)

Dayne Crist spent the weekend at Kansas, reconnecting with his first college coach and examining the first of his possible landing spots after he leaves Notre Dame for good.

But the soon-to-be ex-Irish quarterback is still browsing.

Crist is visiting Delaware on Monday and Tuesday and is expected to visit Wisconsin by the end of the week, multiple sources told the Tribune on Monday.

Delaware, in fact, was the first program to visit Crist in South Bend, Ind., after the erstwhile Irish starter received his release from coach Brian Kelly on Dec. 2, according a source familiar with the situation.

The Blue Hens, a longtime Football Championship Subdivision (formerly Division I-AA) power, have been down the road of absorbing post-graduate Notre Dame players before. Former Irish players like Ronald Talley, Leo Ferrine and Junior Jabbie finished their careers at Delaware after not returning for fifth seasons in South Bend.

Cleets
December 12th, 2011, 10:55 PM
That would be pretty cool if he opted for Delaware...

straightshooter
December 12th, 2011, 11:13 PM
That would be pretty cool if he opted for Delaware...

Seems to be the only way Keeler can get a QB. There's no proof he can actually recruit one.

Gringer1
December 12th, 2011, 11:14 PM
Seems to be the only way Keeler can get a QB. There's no proof he can actually recruit one.

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS8iPepqSgCkffSfzE0YniYEv9kHTn1Z oPVUijW316Md4cNbkcKyw

superman7515
December 13th, 2011, 06:30 AM

7-4 and finished the regular season ranked #14 with nothing but QB's he recruited.

andy7171
December 13th, 2011, 07:48 AM
But if Crist goes to Delaware, where is Danny O'Brien going to go?

bluehenbillk
December 13th, 2011, 08:37 AM
I don't think the fanbase is doing cartwheels over Crist.

344Johnson
December 13th, 2011, 08:57 AM
Crist looked like he had all the makings of a great quarterback coming out of high school. I think if he was put into a Pro-style offense, he could still be a awesome FCS player.

Doc QB
December 13th, 2011, 09:38 AM
Chicago Tribune (http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/college/chi-after-kansas-notre-dame-qb-crist-eyes-delaware-wisconsin-20111212,0,4383029.story)

Wow, official visits in reverse, hadn't heard that one before.

Doc QB
December 13th, 2011, 09:41 AM
7-4 and finished the regular season ranked #14 with nothing but QB's he recruited.

Sup, none of the QBs on the roster were heavily recruited athletes. The Souostek guy is a pretty good athlete but not a cant miss kid for the CAA elite teams. The other kid I thought, was a lightly recruited walk-on. Please correct me if out of turn, but my best friend is UD strength coach, so my souce pretty solid, knows these guys well.

Part of UD and Keeler's problem will be getting a HS kid to commit knowing this FBS QB for hire paradigm in Newark will keep kids away for fear of putting a few hard years in the program only to get passed by for the flavor of the month on the FBS free agent market. Sad, but true.

Rob Iola
December 13th, 2011, 09:47 AM
Sup, none of the QBs on the roster were heavily recruited athletes. The Souostek guy is a pretty good athlete but not a cant miss kid for the CAA elite teams. The other kid I thought, was a lightly recruited walk-on. Please correct me if out of turn, but my best friend is UD strength coach, so my souce pretty solid, knows these guys well.

Part of UD and Keeler's problem will be getting a HS kid to commit knowing this FBS QB for hire paradigm in Newark will keep kids away for fear of putting a few hard years in the program only to get passed by for the flavor of the month on the FBS free agent market. Sad, but true.

There's no secret that Keeler's key to success is running the spread with the very best QB he can get (not that he's alone in this regard) - when it works daHenz are a legitimate threat to win it all, when it doesn't, well you end up with your TE playing QB...

henfan
December 13th, 2011, 11:14 AM

Actually it hasn't been an impediment to recruiting QBs at UD. Sasek was highly recruited QB out of high school that any FCS program would have considered a big signing. Ditto David Shinskie. Kids with talent will shine and Keeler will give the opportunity to recruits who perform, no matter where they come from. The idea is to put the best possible team on the field and not worry about hurting little Johnny's fee'wings when he can't perform to a high level or if his durability becomes a question. At the end of the day, you still have games to win.

Doc QB
December 13th, 2011, 01:48 PM
Actually it hasn't been an impediment to recruiting QBs at UD. Sasek was highly recruited QB out of high school that any FCS program would have considered a big signing. Ditto David Shinskie. Kids with talent will shine and Keeler will give the opportunity to recruits who perform, no matter where they come from. The idea is to put the best possible team on the field and not worry about hurting little Johnny's fee'wings when he can't perform to a high level or if his durability becomes a question. At the end of the day, you still have games to win.

I'd like to know where those two you mentioned took their official visits, that would be a nice barometer of their stock, as would be their scholarship offers. You mention 'fielding the best team'....sure, I agree, gotta win, but if UD will (has) become a haven for transfer qb's it will affect recruiting any depth (this year clearly) and in mind it would stink to continually see guys who put in a bunch of work and get bypassed in later years. Isnt that loyalty to a position of leadership on the field at all meaningful?

GannonFan
December 13th, 2011, 02:18 PM
I'd like to know where those two you mentioned took their official visits, that would be a nice barometer of their stock, as would be their scholarship offers. You mention 'fielding the best team'....sure, I agree, gotta win, but if UD will (has) become a haven for transfer qb's it will affect recruiting any depth (this year clearly) and in mind it would stink to continually see guys who put in a bunch of work and get bypassed in later years. Isnt that loyalty to a position of leadership on the field at all meaningful?

Shinskie was being courted by plenty of FBS schools, including Boston College where he ultimately matriculated, when he verballed with UD (took a minor league baseball deal at the time and when he washed out he went to and played for BC.) Sasek was a two star recruit coming out of high school and clearly was a more than quality FCS recruit. Burns committed to UD two years ago despite having several offers from MAC schools. UD brought in Hughes last year who had offers to Mid Tenn St as well as offers from up to 10 different FCS schools. And they have a possibility of getting Reynolds now out of Newark HS who has verballed to JMU but is still going through the recruitment process. And all of this is with UD's penchant to attracting FBS transfers being well known.

HF is right - kids do and still come to UD out of HS and they are certainly decent enough QB's. Depth was actually better this year than in most previous years - Donnelly was only supposed to be a backup QB and he led UD to a 7-4 record. Certainly not super, but pretty decent for a backup. And Burns was behind him so there was still QB's to go to. The only kids who are really scared from coming to UD are the ones who do want the seniority type model of who gets to be the QB - if you're there long enough, you'll get your turn, no matter if the kid behind you is better. I'm not sure UD is hurting because they aren't getting those types of kids.

Besides, this is a silly criticism when you think of it. UD's had good to incredible QB play for 8 of the last 10 years and have had only one year of terrible QB play in that time. If UD had that kind of success at every position in that time, we'd have 2 or 3 more titles. QB is actually our strong suit.

henfan
December 13th, 2011, 02:51 PM
To GF's point, there are currently 12 QB's on UD's recruiting board, including the kid from Newark HS. One other kid has already verballed to an FBS school.

So, no, attracting HS recruits to a school that has produced as many NFL QB's as UD is not an issue at all.

Doc QB
December 13th, 2011, 03:12 PM
Shinskie was being courted by plenty of FBS schools, including Boston College where he ultimately matriculated, when he verballed with UD (took a minor league baseball deal at the time and when he washed out he went to and played for BC.) Sasek was a two star recruit coming out of high school and clearly was a more than quality FCS recruit. Burns committed to UD two years ago despite having several offers from MAC schools. UD brought in Hughes last year who had offers to Mid Tenn St as well as offers from up to 10 different FCS schools. And they have a possibility of getting Reynolds now out of Newark HS who has verballed to JMU but is still going through the recruitment process. And all of this is with UD's penchant to attracting FBS transfers being well known.

HF is right - kids do and still come to UD out of HS and they are certainly decent enough QB's. Depth was actually better this year than in most previous years - Donnelly was only supposed to be a backup QB and he led UD to a 7-4 record. Certainly not super, but pretty decent for a backup. And Burns was behind him so there was still QB's to go to. The only kids who are really scared from coming to UD are the ones who do want the seniority type model of who gets to be the QB - if you're there long enough, you'll get your turn, no matter if the kid behind you is better. I'm not sure UD is hurting because they aren't getting those types of kids.

Besides, this is a silly criticism when you think of it. UD's had good to incredible QB play for 8 of the last 10 years and have had only one year of terrible QB play in that time. If UD had that kind of success at every position in that time, we'd have 2 or 3 more titles. QB is actually our strong suit.

Very solid info, thanks. But was Donnelly better than the transfer, Burns and Hughes?

Doc QB
December 13th, 2011, 03:17 PM
To GF's point, there are currently 12 QB's on UD's recruiting board, including the kid from Newark HS. One other kid has already verballed to an FBS school.

So, no, attracting HS recruits to a school that has produced as many NFL QB's as UD is not an issue at all.

QB at Delaware has an obvious excellent track record, would never question that, no sir.

Having been through recruiting twice, the "board" means many things. It can be a want list, a suspect list, a list of who they will give an official visit too, who may get an offer, and it is certainly NOT a list of 12 guys that all want to come to UD. You even said one verballed to a FBS school, another JMU.

However, I appreciate the QB depth chart breakdown posting above. And, with UD apparently having some 'homegrown' guys, would still have to feel a little bad if they get ND qb, then the Rutgers/Arizona guy, or Maryland kid. If they got one or all three, I would personally not feel good about myself or the coaches confidence in me. Just an opinion.

MR. CHICKEN
December 13th, 2011, 03:43 PM
16332......DELAWARE...IS IN DUH TOP TIER...O' I-AA.....PLENTY UH KIDS......WOOD LAK TA STEER...OURAH O......IFIN' DUH HIGH-SKOOLERS....ARE BRASH ENUFF/CONFIDENT IN DEY'RE ABILITY...WHAA...WOOD DEY BE SCARED OFF...xconfusedx........GOTTAH SIT UH YEAR WHERE-EVERAH YA GO.....ANY-HOO....'LESSIN'..UH DOORMAT NEEDS YER SERVICE.....OR.....DADDY...PLACED UH PIGGY.....IN DUH CRIB.........xrotatehx......BRAWK!

henfan
December 13th, 2011, 10:34 PM
Having been through recruiting twice, the "board" means many things.

Specifically, "the board" means the list of candidates with whom UD has expressed interest (verified by newspaper articles, recruiting message boards, etc.), and/or those who have received official offers and/or those who have visited campus. These are kids who have not yet made decisions, nor obviously has UD made decisions on them as far as the public knows. To clarify, the kid who verballed to Temple is not included among the 12. The local kid who initially verballed to JMU has told them that his decision is not final. He visited UD again on 12/9.
http://www.newarkpostonline.com/articles/2011/12/09/sports/doc4ee2571e6a448573008239.txt

My point simply serves as an illustrative example that UD still does not have any trouble attracting the interest of quality high school QB's, contrary to the suggestion here.

Squealofthepig
December 13th, 2011, 11:14 PM
I guess my question here is, would a QB who's been at ND be interested in Delaware?

And this is NOT a knock of the Hens in any way shape or form, but should be understood to be a knock at the ego of any recruit who was courted by Notre Dame. Option football is NOT glory football, while the appeal of Notre Dame football is - despite its SIXTY losses since the turn of 2000 - about glory and tradition.

HailSzczur
December 13th, 2011, 11:25 PM
I guess my question here is, would a QB who's been at ND be interested in Delaware?

And this is NOT a knock of the Hens in any way shape or form, but should be understood to be a knock at the ego of any recruit who was courted by Notre Dame. Option football is NOT glory football, while the appeal of Notre Dame football is - despite its SIXTY losses since the turn of 2000 - about glory and tradition.

The same could be said for Devlin though. I mean he came from Penn State which had been a premier team for decades. While it does hold the historical clout as a ND its still one of the top programs out there in the game

Squealofthepig
December 13th, 2011, 11:26 PM
The same could be said for Devlin though. I mean he came from Penn State which had been a premier team for decades. While it does hold the historical clout as a ND its still one of the top programs out there in the game

That's fair enough - and I mean this in a non-smack form, as in, would the school appeal to him? I hope so, for Delaware, honestly, as I'm a bit of a closet-Hen fan.

HailSzczur
December 13th, 2011, 11:38 PM
That's fair enough - and I mean this in a non-smack form, as in, would the school appeal to him? I hope so, for Delaware, honestly, as I'm a bit of a closet-Hen fan.

I understand what your saying. Its not bashing Delaware. ND despite their struggles as of late is just up there on a pedestal along with Alabama, LSU, Ohio State and others and it just seems odd for someone that must have been that sought after and that coveted to step down so far as Delaware. If anything I'd have to attribute it to a great history of quarterback success, and a great history of success after transferring. I mean Joe Flacco is the poster child for stepping down the FCS, hitting it big and making it to NFL. So I'd have to say previous success in this field is probably the big attraction. I read also that hes been looking at other BCS and FBS schools. The perk of transferring down of course is immediate play and virtually no position battle (for someone of his talent). 2 or 3 years of QB at UDel is more likely to get you noticed then sitting on the bench til your senior year hoping to play in the BCS or sitting in a system like Penn State's been doing lately with a revolving door at QB

caribbeanhen
December 14th, 2011, 05:56 AM
if he comes lets hope he brings one of his receivers as well because ours are not getting it done

henfan
December 14th, 2011, 07:52 AM

Apparently so, as the kid visited the campus with the possibility of transferring in. It's a long way to travel for someone not interested.

Heck, Crist wouldn't even be our first transfer from ND, nor would he be the first QB we've landed from a 'big time' FBS program, which, in the recent past have included schools like Ohio St., Penn St., Missouri, Pitt and Georgia Tech.

LEHIGH61
December 14th, 2011, 08:41 AM
Here we go again. Can't make it with your own recruits, never could. Why don't you just move up to FBS and be done with it! It's a form of prostitution.

WrenFGun
December 14th, 2011, 08:42 AM
It just doesn't bother me if a team capable of acquiring transfers accepts them; quite frankly, you'd be doing a disservice to your program by ignoring players that are better than you currently have. It'd be like refusing to sign free-agents in baseball because you didn't grow them in your own farm system..

GannonFan
December 14th, 2011, 09:16 AM
Here we go again. Can't make it with your own recruits, never could. Why don't you just move up to FBS and be done with it! It's a form of prostitution.

Typical, anti-student athlete response from a Lehigh guy. You'd rather the kid, who made a college decision at the age of maybe 17 and is now mired in a tough spot at an FBS school be made to suffer and endure that decision until he's done college rather than have him be able to, with the wisdom of a few years, make a better choice, both education-wise and playing-wise. Of course, basing that entirely on your misguided desire to have your own football team be more competitive. How very noble of you.

GannonFan
December 14th, 2011, 09:21 AM
I understand what your saying. Its not bashing Delaware. ND despite their struggles as of late is just up there on a pedestal along with Alabama, LSU, Ohio State and others and it just seems odd for someone that must have been that sought after and that coveted to step down so far as Delaware. If anything I'd have to attribute it to a great history of quarterback success, and a great history of success after transferring. I mean Joe Flacco is the poster child for stepping down the FCS, hitting it big and making it to NFL. So I'd have to say previous success in this field is probably the big attraction. I read also that hes been looking at other BCS and FBS schools. The perk of transferring down of course is immediate play and virtually no position battle (for someone of his talent). 2 or 3 years of QB at UDel is more likely to get you noticed then sitting on the bench til your senior year hoping to play in the BCS or sitting in a system like Penn State's been doing lately with a revolving door at QB

Like you said, though, there's plenty of a track record at UD, from Komlo and Brunner and Gannon and Nagy and Hall and Flacco and Devlin that you can be a highly successful QB in college and even go pro, and do well once your there. Heck, Gannon was an NFL MVP. Brunner won a playoff game with the Giants. Flacco was a first round pick and has a whole host of playoff wins on his resume. UD won't get a guy like Crist or other top level FBS guy straight out of high school, but it's certainly a pretty viable place when you need to transfer. So of course the previous success is the big attraction - track record matters.

UD77
December 14th, 2011, 10:17 AM
Crist does not have to sit out where ever he goes. He actually graduates this year so he can transfer to a BCS school and he could start next year as long as he is a grad student and I believe in a major not offered at the current school.

UD most likely would not even be talking seriously to a QB transfer if Sasek hadn't been injuried and it is not sure that he will be able to play in the future.
Donnelly filled in as a back up and did a fine job but - I would still look around if we are looking for a play-off run next year.
Burns is still young and didn't demonstrate that he is capable as yet - hopefully he will mature.

We had a highly regarded recruit last year that was sent home for a year. Hopefully he comes back but that is up in the air.

So that leaves UD with two potential QB's, one that is servicable one not proven. One pretty good QB that has a serious injury, hopefully will be back - BUT???

henfan
December 14th, 2011, 10:58 AM

You mean like how Lehigh prostituted themselves by accepting UD QB transfer Mike Conner.xlolx

Why not just move to the Ivy League and be done with it! It's a form of self-delusion.

Side Judge
December 14th, 2011, 11:36 AM
Apparently so, as the kid visited the campus with the possibility of transferring in. It's a long way to travel for someone not interested.

Heck, Crist wouldn't even be our first transfer from ND, nor would he be the first QB we've landed from a 'big time' FBS program, which, in the recent past have included schools like Ohio St., Penn St., Missouri, Pitt and Georgia Tech.

Please no more from Ohio State for awhile...

GannonFan
December 14th, 2011, 02:38 PM
Please no more from Ohio State for awhile...

That was just a mistake - we thought he was a QB and he ended up being a TE. Whoops!

henfan
December 14th, 2011, 03:38 PM
That was just a mistake - we thought he was a QB and he ended up being a TE. Whoops!

That's what Keeler gets for not listening to Sweater Vest.:D

Tubby Raymond
December 14th, 2011, 07:46 PM
Here we go again. Can't make it with your own recruits, never could. Why don't you just move up to FBS and be done with it! It's a form of prostitution.Dopey retort. Still got that small man thing going on , heh?

Lehigh Football Nation
December 22nd, 2011, 12:41 PM
Crist would rather go to Kansas rather than suit up for the Hens. That has to be humiliating for Delaware fans.... xlolx

bluehenbillk
December 22nd, 2011, 01:18 PM

Sigh of relief comes across the UD fanbase that Crist is rejoining his old coach is KS. Truth of the matter is UD entertained him for about 36 hours but never offered the kid the chance to come. The ESPN article doesn't even mention UD as an option. UD will be fine at QB next season & it won't be with somebody behind center that was on the 2011 roster.

GannonFan
December 22nd, 2011, 03:17 PM
Crist would rather go to Kansas rather than suit up for the Hens. That has to be humiliating for Delaware fans.... xlolx

Huh? You have read this thread, right?

BisonHype!
December 22nd, 2011, 03:37 PM
Woah... Just noticed Lehigh Football Nation has a Bison Avatar now!

BisonHype!
December 22nd, 2011, 03:38 PM
Hey if Crist goes to Deleware does he start? Don't you have a decent QB now?

DFW HOYA
December 22nd, 2011, 03:58 PM
Kansas.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2011/12/22/sports/s125706S10.DTL

BisonHype!
December 22nd, 2011, 04:20 PM
Crist going back to Charlie Weis makes sense. He knows how to run his offense, and was one of his guys. Makes sense going to a coach that your familiar with, and wants you there for sure. Great find HOYA!

caribbeanhen
December 23rd, 2011, 06:19 AM

not really, lost our starter in the opener to a knee injury, tried to come back on one leg and got hurt again and now might never play football again

bluehenbillk
December 23rd, 2011, 08:16 AM

Delaware will get a transfer in at QB this year that will end up being a better fit than Crist could have ever been.

BisonHype!
December 23rd, 2011, 08:48 AM

In Kansas they might be. Crist didnt look impressive in South Bend....

alvinkayak6
December 23rd, 2011, 09:31 AM
Hahaha QB for hire....that's great

Hey, who knows ... maybe Crist can take this team to the playoffs.

EDIT: Or he could go be a Jayhawk and win 2 games.