PDA

View Full Version : THE ICON hires an Athletic Director

MACHIAVELLI
May 24th, 2006, 09:06 PM
Grambling State president Horace Judson will recommend Troy Mathieu to the University of Louisiana System board as GSU's new athletics director.

"It's a wonderful opportunity at this point in my professional career to take on a new challenge and come back to my home state of Louisiana," Mathieu told The News-Star this afternoon.

Mathieu, a native of Edgard, is an assistant superintendent in charge of athletics with the sprawling Dallas Independent School District in Texas. There, he oversees the DISD's 16,000 middle and high school athletes, part of a district that ranks fourth in the nation.

Before moving to Dallas, Mathieu was executive director of the Sugar Bowl in New Orleans, a job he took over in 1993 at age 29 and held as the only black person in high-level bowl management for years. There, he negotiated the successful longtime corporate relationship with Nokia, a $30 million deal.

He holds a 1987 master's degree from Western Illinois and a 1983 bachelor's — which he reportedly completed in just three years — from McNeese State.

http://www.thenewsstar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060523/SPORTS/60523020/1006

TexasTerror
May 25th, 2006, 06:57 AM
One step closer to Grambling vs McNeese St...

Time to see if the ICON is second-fiddle on the football field in the Louisiana I-AA ranks to McNeese St, easily the one of the most, if not the most dominant football program in the Louisiana I-AA ranks...

Catmendue2
May 25th, 2006, 07:40 AM

Time to see if the ICON is second-fiddle on the football field in the Louisiana I-AA ranks to McNeese St, easily the one of the most, if not the most dominant football program in the Louisiana I-AA ranks...

Talking about smack, what does this nonsense about MSU, have to with the title of this thread.

McNeese72
May 25th, 2006, 07:46 AM
Talking about smack, what does this nonsense about MSU, have to with the title of this thread.

He probably said what he said because the new AD is a McNeese grad.

Doc

TexasTerror
May 25th, 2006, 08:06 AM

Have any clue who your AD is? Read the article? :read:

"He holds a 1987 master's degree from Western Illinois and a 1983 bachelor's — which he reportedly completed in just three years — from McNeese State."

slostang
May 25th, 2006, 08:09 AM
He looks like a great hire. After being in charge of over 16,000 schools athletics, taking over the duties at Grambling State should be no problem. It also looks like he will be able to bring home the money after negotiating the $30 million deal with Nokia.

MACHIAVELLI
May 25th, 2006, 08:59 AM
He looks like a great hire. After being in charge of over 16,000 schools athletics, taking over the duties at Grambling State should be no problem. It also looks like he will be able to bring home the money after negotiating the $30 million deal with Nokia.

16,000 middle and high school athletes.

slostang
May 25th, 2006, 09:33 AM
16,000 middle and high school athletes.
Either way, he looks very quallified.

mikebigg
May 25th, 2006, 06:34 PM

Are you second fiddle to McNeese? We haven't played McNeese enuff to ascertain that they are dominant over us. Give them their due cuz the record is 0-2, but that doesn't mean they are the better program. Hopefully we will play them soon...but not because the new AD is a McNeese grad. My desire to play them has nothing to do with proving a point...it has to be with my desire to build our home attendance with a game that OUR fans are interested in seeing. Who knows, maybe someday we would even play Sam Houston...but only if it's a game of interest to our fans.

TexasTerror
May 25th, 2006, 06:36 PM
Are you second fiddle to McNeese? We haven't played McNeese enuff to ascertain that they are dominant over us. Give them their due cuz the record is 0-2, but that doesn't mean they are the better program. Hopefully we will play them soon...but not because the new AD is a McNeese grad. My desire to play them has nothing to do with proving a point...it has to be with my desire to build our home attendance with a game that OUR fans are interested in seeing. Who knows, maybe someday we would even play Sam Houston...but only if it's a game of interest to our fans.

McNeese has solid records against Southern. No problem with Northwestern St. They have had their issues with Southeastern Louisiana, but they don't have the track record...

McNeese in the last 10-15 years is easily the top I-AA program in Louisiana. All those I-AA playoff appearances and SLC championships (in a conference that is among the top 5 conferences yearly in I-AA) are impressive...

May 25th, 2006, 06:40 PM
Has this become a Grambling vs. McNeese thread??? :(

Catmendue2
May 25th, 2006, 08:29 PM
I wonder how qualified he would have been if he applied at Mcneese.:nod: :smiley_wi

TexasTerror
May 25th, 2006, 08:50 PM
I do like his background...

Overseeing large budgets as he as in both the private/business sector and then for a public entity like the school district is a good deal. Lots of people can't do both, public and private. It's a tough business...

SUjagTILLiDIE
May 25th, 2006, 11:10 PM
I wonder how qualified he would have been if he applied at Mcneese.:nod: :smiley_wiI was thinking the samething.

McNeese75
May 26th, 2006, 09:58 AM
I wonder how qualified he would have been if he applied at Mcneese.:nod: :smiley_wi

Hey, if you don't want him, send him our way :D

McTailGator
May 26th, 2006, 10:00 AM

Hopefully he applies when our AD retires after this year...

In fact, compared to what we have now, he's overqualified.:smiley_wi

SUjagTILLiDIE
May 26th, 2006, 12:16 PM
McNeese has solid records against Southern.:read:
1-0 football. You considered that solid.

McNeese75
May 26th, 2006, 01:57 PM
:D
:read:

Against Southern? Yep

McTailGator
May 26th, 2006, 04:01 PM
:read:

As solid as a contract honored by Southern...:eyebrow:

BgJag
May 26th, 2006, 04:58 PM
As solid as a contract honored by Southern...:eyebrow:

Are we the only school you didn't get a return trip from? Our was due to Katrina,this country worst natural disaster, what were the other school(s) excuse? xcoffeex

Retro
May 26th, 2006, 10:55 PM
Are we the only school you didn't get a return trip from? Our was due to Katrina,this country worst natural disaster, what were the other school(s) excuse?

We missed out on 2 games last season because of Katrina (you) and Rita (southern utah), which will be back this year to fufill their obligation.. We also missed out on another game with NW OK STATE, but Tex-Southern basically replaced that one.

The fact is Southern is the only opponent that didn't make a real effort to reschedule the game either last year or in the future, nor did they offer any buyout to compensate for it in good faith, like portland state did before. Those are the facts whether you want to agree with them or not.

We were hit harder here by Rita than anyone in baton rouge was by katrina.. Rita direct hit on Lake Charles... Katrina Direct hit on waveland, ms.. New Orleans Flooded due to broken levee's after Katrina.