PDA

View Full Version : CAA in the playoffs

El Gato
December 10th, 2011, 03:57 PM
With the loss of Maine to Georgia Southern it looks like despite fielding 5 teams, the CAA is now out of the playoffs, with not a single one of them able to win two in a row and send even one to the final four.

CAA went 3-5 in the 2011 FCS playoffs.

Hmmm...

JMU2K_DukeDawg
December 10th, 2011, 04:00 PM
1-1 at home; 2-4 on the road. Not good, but not really bad either.

There is no one from the CAA or anywhere else that expected much more than that. Maybe for Towson to beat Lehigh, but beyond that, the playoffs went as scripted.

xcoolx

HailSzczur
December 10th, 2011, 04:01 PM
first time since '05 we havent had a team in the semi's

Squealofthepig
December 10th, 2011, 04:02 PM
It's a down year for the CAA, and I think the only CAA school who didn't have a fan voice that opinion at some point this year was Rhode Island (I just can't recall seeing any Rams fans). You're not gonna bait people who agree with ya (as JMUetcDawg shows). :)

Wildcat80
December 10th, 2011, 04:05 PM
UNH had no defense unless we managed turnovers. Next year???????????

mainejeff
December 10th, 2011, 04:06 PM
With the loss of Maine to Georgia Southern it looks like despite fielding 5 teams, the CAA is now out of the playoffs, with not a single one of them able to win two in a row and send even one to the final four.

Hmmm...

and went 1-1 at HOME............what are other conference's records on the road???????.........

HailSzczur
December 10th, 2011, 04:07 PM
UNH had no defense unless we managed turnovers. Next year???????????

Defense was the only thing we could do. Should have just played under the alias of the CAA Wildcats

mainejeff
December 10th, 2011, 04:09 PM
SoCon.........0-1 on the road.

Big Sky.........0-1 on the road.

MVFC.........0-1 on the road.

henfan
December 10th, 2011, 04:11 PM

Hmmm...

It happens occasionally, even to the best conference in the FCS.

El Gato
December 10th, 2011, 04:12 PM

there yo go. Answered that question, although we should wait until the semifinals and one more quarterfinal game are over before using that stat.

caribbeanhen
December 10th, 2011, 04:51 PM

Hmmm...

CAA homer here, been saying over and over CAA is not as good as past years,

I-16Bandit
December 10th, 2011, 05:16 PM
SEC of the FCS... Hmmm.

smcwildcat
December 10th, 2011, 05:29 PM
I think there is no doubt the CAA is still the SEC of the FCS...one year doesn't define what has been accomplished.

I-16Bandit
December 10th, 2011, 05:36 PM
I think there is no doubt the CAA is still the SEC of the FCS...one year doesn't define what has been accomplished.

What has been accomplished? What about the fact that in the past 15 years, 4 CAA teams won the NC. Seems to be a very strong conference.

theasushow
December 10th, 2011, 06:06 PM
first time in 5 years CAA wont have a team in the National Championship.

Cocky
December 10th, 2011, 06:19 PM
Were 0 for the playoffs again.

molly
December 10th, 2011, 06:41 PM
CAA fans have been posting since at least the first week of the season that the CAA was down this year. There have been numerous posts saying that there were several pretty good, competitive teams in the CAA this year, but no dominant team likely to make a deep run. The playoff bubble teams from the SoCon, MVFC, or Big Sky all failed to win the games they needed to down the stretch. Hate on the CAA all you want for having a 1/4 of the field again, but you'll find little argument from CAA fans that this was a down year, particularly defensively, for the conference.

Tribe4SF
December 10th, 2011, 07:55 PM
What has been accomplished? What about the fact that in the past 15 years, 4 CAA teams won the NC. Seems to be a very strong conference.

Actually five teams with an NC. UMass, Delaware, JMU, Richmond, and Villanova.

BlueHenSinfonian
December 10th, 2011, 08:34 PM

And there has been a CAA team in the title game all 5 of the last 5 years. Good on the Big Sky, SoCon, MVC and Southland this year for breaking the streak, but be ready for the counterstrike next year.

Tod
December 10th, 2011, 08:48 PM
The CAA is strong. Period.

chevy8050
December 10th, 2011, 09:03 PM
Hot.Garbage.

Eagle22
December 10th, 2011, 09:14 PM

We selectively omit 1998 ;)

Dallas Demon
December 10th, 2011, 09:16 PM

Southland 1-1 on the road.

Big South 0-1 on the road.

NEC 0-1 on the road.

Patriot 1-1 on the road.

nevadagriz
December 10th, 2011, 10:28 PM
The CAA is damn tough! However it is kinda cool that the bigsky has had a team in the championship three straight years.( with a chance for 4) Can we all agree that there are five great conferences and then the rest.

TwoFeathers
December 10th, 2011, 10:32 PM

Hmmm...

Correct, 5 mediocre teams this year. So what's your point?

TUTigers
December 10th, 2011, 11:41 PM
No other teams deserved to be in the playoffs. We got 5 in and those 5 lost to the better team. doesn't mean CAA is overrated.

TwoFeathers
December 10th, 2011, 11:43 PM
No other teams deserved to be in the playoffs. We got 5 in and those 5 lost to the better team. doesn't mean CAA is overrated.

Maybe JMU... perhaps it should have been Delaware. But that's splitting hairs. UNH, Maine and ODU beat expecations. Towson lost a close one, and JMU arguably shouldn't have been there. But if not, probably Delaware anyway.

Mr. C
December 11th, 2011, 12:47 AM
One coach predicted about a month back to me that the CAA would be done by the quarterfinals this season. He was right on the mark. Personally, I thought Towson had a shot at going further.

penguinpower
December 11th, 2011, 12:54 AM
I think we all know that the CAA is one of the best conferences in the FCS. I was one that said the CAA was down this year, but the problem is that other conferences deserved to have more teams in the playoffs over the CAA. As a result of the idiots at the Sports network and their inability to use statistics and an objective eyeball test to evaluate teams just stayed homers and influenced the selection of teams in the playoffs (as usual). That is the problem. Every conference has up and down years. This is rare for the CAA, but the writing was on the wall. The problem is that TSN did not acknowledge this, and their reporting is used in the selection of teams (according to the committee). It was unfair to several teams, especially Illinois State who was Woffed this year. How could they have selected JMU?

Squealofthepig
December 11th, 2011, 01:09 AM
OK, I'll ask - since I have no dog (nyuk nyuk) in this debate. Why is JMU getting attacked here, when they actually won a game? The OVC lost two games - at home.

Cleets
December 11th, 2011, 01:13 AM
OK, I'll ask - since I have no dog (nyuk nyuk) in this debate. Why is JMU getting attacked here, when they actually won a game? The OVC lost two games - at home.

Oh great... now look what you just did
You've just prolonged this thread for 365 more days

Squealofthepig
December 11th, 2011, 01:14 AM

366. 2012 is a leap year! ;)

penguinpower
December 11th, 2011, 01:14 AM

For me this isn't about JMU getting attacked. This is about why they were unfairly selected over Illinois State.

Squealofthepig
December 11th, 2011, 01:16 AM
For me this isn't about JMU getting attacked. This is about why they were selected over Illinois State.

Agree. Admittedly, spending time in Illinois I've been a bit of an ISUr supporter, so I'll admit to a bit of bias, but was shocked when EKU was selected. That would be my quibble.

(And I'll also concede: EKU actually played a really good game, and definitely were playoff worthy - I just found ISUr's case more compelling). And I'm still irked that ISUb faltered down the stretch!

caribbeanhen
December 11th, 2011, 07:04 AM
One coach predicted about a month back to me that the CAA would be done by the quarterfinals this season. He was right on the mark. Personally, I thought Towson had a shot at going further.

Do you know the the said coaches usernames? obviously they dwell here

Redbird Ray
December 11th, 2011, 08:09 AM

Illinois State deserved to be in over at least one of your teams.

Fear the Bird
December 11th, 2011, 09:05 AM
For me this isn't about JMU getting attacked. This is about why they were unfairly selected over Illinois State.

So go after EKU not JMU

whitey
December 11th, 2011, 09:14 AM
So go after EKU not JMU

It still amazes me people still think JMU stole ISU-r's spot. JMU had ZERO bad losses while Illinois State had one, went on the road to beat EKU and then gave NDSU a tougher game than Lehigh did.

paward
December 11th, 2011, 10:22 AM

Ok, if my CAA buddies will agree to help this argument cease, next year the last one in will decline the invitations. There will that work for you?xconfusedx

Srdnaty
December 11th, 2011, 10:50 AM
It still amazes me people still think JMU stole ISU-r's spot. JMU had ZERO bad losses while Illinois State had one, went on the road to beat EKU and then gave NDSU a tougher game than Lehigh did.

If you're not in the CAA you hate the CAA because we are better than you. Year in and year out we have the deepest conference. Anyone in the CAA next year can make a run deep into the playoffs. We do not have 2-3 great programs that dominate the conference every year. When was the last time half of the SOCON or Big Sky was relevant? Most people can't even name half the teams in your conferences because we have forgotten that they exist.

I will agree the CAA has had a down year because we don't have at least two teams still alive at this point.

Get over your jealousy.

Srdnaty
December 11th, 2011, 10:57 AM

Really who? Every team in the CAA proved they belonged. JMU didn't have the greatest 2nd round game but they beat EKU in the first round. JMU made the playoffs with their starting QB on the bench for 5 games. If anything they were underrated. You could make the claim that Illinois State deserved it over EKU, Tenn Tech, or Noffolk, but not anyone from the CAA. I know it's popular to think the CAA kept you out, but in reality pick one of the teams that didn't belong in the first round.

Houndawg
December 11th, 2011, 11:07 AM

All ya had to do was beat an awful EIU team and your loss to UNI would have been forgiven. A very bad loss and no good wins, and it looks like UNI was overrated to boot. Too bad, there were five slots just waiting for MVC teams to step in. CAA has been strong lately and that puts them in a tie-goes-to-the-runner situation on selection day. Schedule some better OOC team and beat them. Hell, you were only 8 pts. better than 4-7 SIU...

Cocky
December 11th, 2011, 11:31 AM

If you cant beat EIU why do you deserve to be in the playoffs over anyone?
If ISU wins the games needed they are in the playoffs.
You are arguing over who is somewhere between 16-21 in the nation. No one left out than had any chance of winning a championship.

gofurman
December 11th, 2011, 11:52 AM

no doubt CAA is best conference past few years. And everyone knows you can be the best conference without having the National Title Team - think, if Butler wins the Basketball Title against Duke in 2010 does that make the Horizon (? I think they are Horizon) league the best basketball league./ Hardly. Just the league with the "best" team.

However, in a pro-Socon plug to this National Title in the past 15 years : even more than CAA
3 for App State 05, 06, 07..
2 for GSU 99, 2000
and GSU is still in this year in final four meaning Socon has a chance to have 6 titles in past 15 years.

Anyway, hope we have some good battles in the next 3 games . That triple option stuff sure ain't dead. Just ask Maine - try to learn to stop that thing in one week.

paward
December 11th, 2011, 12:49 PM
All of the CAA supremacy threads and thoughts does not come from the CAA. I am one that feels the SoCon have just as good a argument and resume. The difference is simple. If you do a preseason poll today and ask who will win the SoCon 2012, GSU and App State will win first and second by 90 percent of the posters. If you do the same poll for CAA you will see even votes across the top for four to five teams. We are not better over all just more evenly matched as a conference.

Any given year anyone could win the CAA, additionally you could be at the bottom of the barrel.

mainejeff
December 11th, 2011, 04:16 PM
GSU will prove that Maine might possibly be the 2nd best team in the playoffs.

Wake me up when the other conferences prove that they can win on the road.

mainejeff
December 11th, 2011, 04:18 PM
In addition.......with apologies to E. Washington, take away Montana, App State and GSU.......what has ANYONE outside of the CAA done over the past decade?

HailSzczur
December 11th, 2011, 04:37 PM
In addition.......with apologies to E. Washington, take away Montana, App State and GSU.......what has ANYONE outside of the CAA done over the past decade?

Well I mean the Patriot League did start TwitterGate, that was kind of a big deal, look at all the threads we had.......

I think what you might be getting at mainejeff is that the CAA has accomplished so much as a conference, and while the SOCON may stack up very well in NC's and NC appearances over the same period of time, it has been very heavily driven by Appy and GSU. In the CAA its been more a group effort, with 5 different teams winning NC's, UNH's long streak of being so close but so far away, and this years emergence of ODU, Towson, and Maine. That when you look at the CAA Rhody is really the only team that has let us down as far as playoffs go.

SpeedkingATL
December 11th, 2011, 05:44 PM
Looks to me like there is a lot of balance this year with 4 teams from different conferences in the semi's. CAA got left out this year but still lots of balance and the seeding was dead on.

LakesBison
December 11th, 2011, 05:48 PM
CAA the east coast sissies ARE PATHETIC

mainejeff
December 11th, 2011, 06:03 PM
Looks to me like there is a lot of balance this year with 4 teams from different conferences in the semi's. CAA got left out this year but still lots of balance and the seeding was dead on.

And Montana, NDSU, and SHSU didn't have to play in Statesboro.

mainejeff
December 11th, 2011, 06:04 PM
CAA the east coast sissies ARE PATHETIC

North Dakota WHO? I've heard of the Sioux but not the other guys........

LakesBison
December 11th, 2011, 06:37 PM
Maine then youre an idiot

NoDak 4 Ever
December 11th, 2011, 06:40 PM

That's dumb, the only reason you've heard of the Sioux is because of hockey. Nobody cares about hockey.

swaghook
December 11th, 2011, 06:41 PM

Maybe it has to do with buthockey that a person from another buthockey school would pretend to not know who the Bison are.

BTW you almost spelled the team from up north's nickname right they are no longer the Sioux but rather the Whioux.

heath
December 11th, 2011, 06:45 PM
CAA is still the best..............only time will tell, ODU is now on the map and will be a force for years to come.Its easy to bash on a year where they don't dominate, but the CAA has never not been in the mix.

heath
December 11th, 2011, 06:50 PM
People like lakesbison are the reason the FCS is not taken seriously.They read her crap and can not get on board. NICE JOB B!T*H.

NoDak 4 Ever
December 11th, 2011, 06:51 PM
People like lakesbison are the reason the FCS is not taken seriously.They read her crap and can not get on board. NICE JOB B!T*H.

Well the whole "I've never heard of you" bit is about the weakest sauce there is.

LakesBison
December 11th, 2011, 06:59 PM
Heath fcs isnt taken seriously NDSU should be fbs

heath
December 11th, 2011, 07:00 PM
Well the whole "I've never heard of you" bit is about the weakest sauce there is.

?????????????????????She is your b1tch and black eye. Probably not even seen you guys play,.............

heath
December 11th, 2011, 07:04 PM

Big East or USA?Win at Frisco then talk to your AD.
ps,you need a bigger dome to get to the next level

swaghook
December 11th, 2011, 07:30 PM

Screw FBS. No real play offs. The FCS should just step up their game and add the missing 22 scholarships then the FCS might be more competitive against the FBS and turn more heads.

Wilson16
December 11th, 2011, 07:56 PM
If you cant beat EIU why do you deserve to be in the playoffs over anyone?
If ISU wins the games needed they are in the playoffs.
You are arguing over who is somewhere between 16-21 in the nation. No one left out than had any chance of winning a championship.

CAA included. No way they deserved 5 teams

mainejeff
December 11th, 2011, 08:04 PM

Then WHO did deserve to be there dipstick?

ODUalum78
December 11th, 2011, 08:08 PM
Agreed.
The CAA should have had 6; Delaware should have been in as well. :D

Wilson16
December 11th, 2011, 08:27 PM
Agreed.
The CAA should have had 6; Delaware should have been in as well. :D
So six teams could be watching now....... Thats from dipstick.

penguinpower
December 11th, 2011, 08:29 PM
Then WHO did deserve to be there dipstick?

Illinois State and someone else from the Big Sky should have been selected.

What the CAA fans are not taking into account is the fact that TSN influence got JMU in when they were not as good as Illinois state and they played in a weaker CAA conference this year.

There are many benefits to the teams and conferences that make the playoffs, so it is more about getting the best teams vs seeding correctly.

Teams that make the playoffs over a more deserving team get the benefit of an extra game for the team to get better, the added revenue generated from the game itself, and the recruiting advantage over a team that was not selected.

Is that fair? No. Does TSN provide objective bias free coverage? No. Do they influence the selection committee? Yes. Did TSN use due diligence in their evaluation of teams? No. Hell the Top 10 was jammed up with CAA teams almost the whole year. Youngstown State was ranked 15th in the GPI and they didn't even get a vote from TSN. TSN had Richmond ranked at one point with a losing record. It was a total joke this year

In this case Illinois State should have been taken over JMU. At the end of the day the CAA as a conference benefited from the additional revenue, playoff experience, and recruiting advantage as a result of this huge blunder by the selection committee which was an indirect result of TSN hype.

mainejeff
December 11th, 2011, 08:40 PM
Illinois State and someone else from the Big Sky should have been selected.

Ummmmm.....no, they shouldn't. They all lost with playoff berths on the line. Get over your CAA fetish and start following individual team RESULTS regardless of what conference they play in.

BisonBohl
December 11th, 2011, 08:51 PM
How many teams are still in from the CAA?

ODUsmitty
December 11th, 2011, 08:56 PM
How many are left from the MVC? And you had the gift of the NCAA "thought Police" ensuring that you'd get the win.

The higher the horse, the more painful the fall...............

penguinpower
December 11th, 2011, 08:58 PM
Ummmmm.....no, they shouldn't. They all lost with playoff berths on the line. Get over your CAA fetish and start following individual team RESULTS regardless of what conference they play in.

No...not a fetish. Both JMU and Illinois state ended the regular season with 7 wins. The difference is that Illinois State had better quality wins because they played in a better conference this year. And I say this year.

penguinpower
December 11th, 2011, 09:00 PM
How many are left from the MVC? And you had the gift of the NCAA "thought Police" ensuring that you'd get the win.

The higher the horse, the more painful the fall...............

The Missouri Valley only had 2 teams get in....wtf are you talking about? Both teams advanced in the first tru round and 4 of 5 teams in the CAA fell to their opponents. What is your point?

Wilson16
December 11th, 2011, 09:03 PM
The Missouri Valley only had 2 teams get in....wtf are you talking about? Both teams advanced in the first tru round and 4 of 5 teams in the CAA fell to their opponents. What is your point?

He has none other than the past.

mainejeff
December 11th, 2011, 09:04 PM
No...not a fetish. Both JMU and Illinois state ended the regular season with 7 wins. The difference is that Illinois State had better quality wins because they played in a better conference this year. And I say this year.

LOL.........They went 0-2 against playoff teams and lost to 2 non-playoff teams including 2-9 Eastern Illinois!!!! JMU's 4 losses were to UNC and 3 playoff teams. Do you REALLY believe what you write?

mainejeff
December 11th, 2011, 09:05 PM

How has the MVFC done on the road?

ODUsmitty
December 11th, 2011, 09:05 PM
You are forgetting the two first-round wins By JMU and ODU.

UNI and NDSU played second -round games at home. 4/5 CAA squads forced on the road. Admittedly, Towson screwed the pooch (how often has that been said through the years?) However, Maine rocked Appy at Appy, and I'll contend that GSU played their toughest game in Round 2 v. ODU than they will have at the Crayola Dome.

BisonBohl
December 11th, 2011, 09:09 PM
Sorry we earned the right to play at home in the playoffs. Sorry that we made some wr tweet something that got him suspended (not that he would changed the outcome). Outside of Maine's win at app state the CAA has not been impressive in the playoffs. If we wanna count moral victories we can throw ODU in there as well.

Lets face it, it was an off year for the CAA.

penguinpower
December 11th, 2011, 09:21 PM
LOL.........They went 0-2 against playoff teams and lost to 2 non-playoff teams including 2-9 Eastern Illinois!!!! JMU's 4 losses were to UNC and 3 playoff teams. Do you REALLY believe what you write?

JMU lost to the same playoff teams that I am saying don't belong?

penguinpower
December 11th, 2011, 09:23 PM
You are forgetting the two first-round wins By JMU and ODU.

UNI and NDSU played second -round games at home. 4/5 CAA squads forced on the road. Admittedly, Towson screwed the pooch (how often has that been said through the years?) However, Maine rocked Appy at Appy, and I'll contend that GSU played their toughest game in Round 2 v. ODU than they will have at the Crayola Dome.

GSU is probably going to lose this week playing away in that Fargo Dome against a very balanced NDSU team. And the 4 team playoff doesn't count against partial scholarship conference winners in my book.

mainejeff
December 11th, 2011, 09:34 PM
Sorry we earned the right to play at home in the playoffs. Sorry that we made some wr tweet something that got him suspended (not that he would changed the outcome). Outside of Maine's win at app state the CAA has not been impressive in the playoffs. If we wanna count moral victories we can throw ODU in there as well.

Lets face it, it was an off year for the CAA.

No need to apologize for playing at home.......but to deny that it is an advantage in advancing in the playoffs is laughable.

mainejeff
December 11th, 2011, 09:35 PM

LOL......and why do those 8-3 and 9-2 teams don't belong???.......and who would you replace THOSE 8-3 and 9-2 teams with??? You are NUTZ!

mainejeff
December 11th, 2011, 09:35 PM
GSU is probably going to lose this week playing away in that Fargo Dome against a very balanced NDSU team. And the 4 team playoff doesn't count against partial scholarship conference winners in my book.

Delusional.

ODUsmitty
December 11th, 2011, 09:36 PM

I'm sorry. Who did Youngstown defeat in the playoffs this year?

Wilson16
December 11th, 2011, 09:39 PM
No need to apologize for playing at home.......but to deny that it is an advantage in advancing in the playoffs is laughable.

It is an advantage. The CAA was down this year and didn't deserve homefield.

mainejeff
December 11th, 2011, 09:40 PM
It is an advantage. The CAA was down this year and didn't deserve homefield.

They didn't deserve a Top 4 seed.

Wilson16
December 11th, 2011, 09:45 PM
They didn't deserve a Top 4 seed.
Um ...they didn't desrve homefield either.

mainejeff
December 11th, 2011, 09:53 PM
Um ...they didn't desrve homefield either.

That's up for debate considering some of the results.

JMUNJ08
December 12th, 2011, 12:11 AM

How could you argue that as their best win was vs. a 6-5 ISUb team??? Neither team beat someone who made the field this year. JMU has no prime win either, but your logic is clearly flawed....

Plus, trump card is the BAD loss to E. Illinois for ISUr.
JMU's worse loss? a road contest @ UNH?
C'Mon man!

Tribe4SF
December 12th, 2011, 06:24 AM
The argument that Ill. St. should have been in over JMU is the wrong argument. They should have been in over Eastern Kentucky...maybe.

If the committee starts picking teams to balance representation of the conferences, then they have to change their priorities. Things are as they should be now. Pick the best teams available to complete the field, regardless of conference affiliation.

As for TSN running the selection process, that's just nuts. Their poll echoed what most everyone saw from the CAA this year. The usual crop of top 25 teams (albeit some different faces), but no one near the top.

JMU-MRD-DAD
December 12th, 2011, 07:05 AM
I saw this thread coming as soon as the CAA was eliminated.

Overall, the CAA won a couple of playoff games and were pretty much in every playoff game.

Let's see who got spanked...Montana State...UNI......Lehigh.....Central Arkansas......I guess none of these teams belonged..OVER RATED....Let's insert Ill State and the few other teams that were "so called" left out of the bracket and the results would have been the same.

The top 4 seeds have advanced and have proven they are the best remaining teams and should be a great finish.

Give it a rest.......

TwoFeathers
December 12th, 2011, 09:21 AM
I saw this thread coming as soon as the CAA was eliminated.

Overall, the CAA won a couple of playoff games and were pretty much in every playoff game.

Let's see who got spanked...Montana State...UNI......Lehigh.....Central Arkansas......I guess none of these teams belonged..OVER RATED....Let's insert Ill State and the few other teams that were "so called" left out of the bracket and the results would have been the same.

The top 4 seeds have advanced and have proven they are the best remaining teams and should be a great finish.

Give it a rest.......

Don't forget about App State... who was ranked in the top 5 for most of the year.

TwoFeathers
December 12th, 2011, 09:25 AM
The argument that Ill. St. should have been in over JMU is the wrong argument. They should have been in over Eastern Kentucky...maybe.

If the committee starts picking teams to balance representation of the conferences, then they have to change their priorities. Things are as they should be now. Pick the best teams available to complete the field, regardless of conference affiliation.

As for TSN running the selection process, that's just nuts. Their poll echoed what most everyone saw from the CAA this year. The usual crop of top 25 teams (albeit some different faces), but no one near the top.

And if it wasn't EKU, it should have been Delaware. So that would have been 6 from the CAA. That would really have made the CAA-haters cry in their Wheaties.