PDA

View Full Version : Montana Tradition at QB

CrunchGriz
May 21st, 2005, 01:00 AM
After I did my desktop wallpaper for the Griz this year, which features Lex Hilliard, Jr. All-Big Sky and potential All-American RB, I was struck by the fact that I didn't feature a Griz QB. That's odd this season because of UM's amazing tradition of producing not only All-Big Sky, but All-American QBs.

I'm particularly thinking of the last five Griz starting QBs. Beginning with Dave Dickenson (what a beginning!), Montana has produced five straight All-American and Payton candidate QBs: Dave Dickenson, Brian Ah Yat, Drew Miller, John Edwards, and Craig Ochs.

Of that group, one was the Payton winner (Dickenson), one was the runner-up (Ah Yat), one was third (if I remember right-Miller), one was fourth (Edwards), and one arguably would have been the winner had the post-season been counted by the voters (Ochs).

That is an unbelievable level of consistent top-notch performance, probably unmatched in I-AA history.

Three of the five had games in which they hit the unreal 500 yard-level in passing yardage (Dickenson, Ah Yat, and Miller). One still has several I-AA all-time records and a bushel of Big-Sky all-time records (Dickenson), one still has several Griz and a couple of Big Sky records (Ah Yat), and one has a couple of Big Sky and Griz records (Miller). Four of the five (Miller, Dickenson, Ah Yat, and Ochs) passed for better than a .650 season's completion percentage, a phenomenal rate in any league, one of them twice (Miller) and one of them three times (Dickenson-in fact, Dickenson's completion percentage topped .670 three straight seasons).

One helped the Griz win a I-AA record-tying 24 straight games (Edwards), one passed for 1500 yards (in one playoff season!-Dickenson), and one had his best game as a Griz in the championship game (Ochs).

These five QBs have taken the Griz to five of the last ten I-AA championship games, a record unmatched in I-AA history.

This is not to say that the Griz had slouches in the past at QB, and is no slight to Marty Morhinwheg, Brad Lebo, Bert Wilberger, and the other past Griz QB greats, but this last 5-QB stretch has been simply amazing.

For all of you Griz fans who slammed John Edwards' arm strength, questioned Brian Ah Yat's toughness, lambasted Drew Miller's lack of foot speed, or wondered if Craig Ochs would last a season, and who are now worried about young Mr. Bergquist, please remember this: The Griz have had a wondrous, unreal run at QB, which makes the QB position a tough one to fill in the eyes of Griz fans, and...we don't rebuild, we reload!

And yes, as a Griz fan I would have to include Dave Dickenson in any initial class of I-AA Hall of Famers -- .679 career completion percentage in regular season games, and counting the playoffs, over 13,486 yards passing, only 28 interceptions, and 116 TDs. For his career, in 7 playoff games, his completion rate was an astounding .762 -- against the best I-AA had to offer for competition! He threw for over 400 yards 4 times in 7 playoff games. In 1995, counting the playoffs, he threw for 5,676 yards. Not to mention that he led I-AA in total offense twice, once by more than 1,000 yards over his nearest competition. Amazing stuff, especially when you consider that he looks more like an accountant than a football player, which is why you'll never see him on Sundays. In Montana, he is known simply as "The Legend of the Fall", or "Super Dave".

Grizo406
May 21st, 2005, 01:14 AM
We could use another "Super Dave", or Craig Ochs.

CrunchGriz
May 21st, 2005, 02:33 AM
We could use another "Super Dave", or Craig Ochs.

Couldn't anyone?

Grizo406
May 21st, 2005, 02:59 AM
Couldn't anyone?

True, Crunch.

eaglesrthe1
May 21st, 2005, 10:45 AM
These five QBs have taken the Griz to five of the last ten I-AA championship games, a record unmatched in I-AA history.

YSU went to 5 NC games in 7 years... 91-97, and went to 6 in 9 years...91-99.

GSU went to 5 NC games in 6 years, 85-90.

CrunchGriz
May 21st, 2005, 01:22 PM
YSU went to 5 NC games in 7 years... 91-97, and went to 6 in 9 years...91-99.

GSU went to 5 NC games in 6 years, 85-90.

Point taken. The record of 5 championship games in 10 years is not unique. I fell victim to hyperbole there.

However, Montana has done it with 4 different coaches, and three different offensive systems, unlike either Georgia Southern or Youngstown State, which were both under the same coach and offensive system for all of their impressive runs.

As a record of QB production, though, I know of no other like Montana's over the last 12 years. Five straight legitimate Payton candidates make an incredibly tough act to follow, especially as far as spoiled Griz fans are concerned. The least statistically impressive of the five, John Edwards, was nearly crucified on Montana's message boards when under his leadership UM lost to MSU for the first time in 17 years, yet he finished 4th in the Payton voting. You'd better be ready for constant, harsh, and widespread scrutiny by the Griz Nation when you start taking snaps for the Griz, that's for sure.

NoCoDanny
May 21st, 2005, 02:34 PM
Here is some random trivia that means nothing to anyone but me. The kid that was a back up to Ah-Yat grew up next door to my parents. I think the kid lettered one year at Montana around '95 or '96. He was from Bear Creek High School in Lakewood Colorado.

DaGriz
May 21st, 2005, 04:31 PM
Here is some random trivia that means nothing to anyone but me. The kid that was a back up to Ah-Yat grew up next door to my parents. I think the kid lettered one year at Montana around '95 or '96. He was from Bear Creek High School in Lakewood Colorado

Who was that? Was it Darren Rowell?

eaglesrthe1
May 21st, 2005, 06:38 PM
As a record of QB production, though, I know of no other like Montana's over the last 12 years. Five straight legitimate Payton candidates make an incredibly tough act to follow, especially as far as spoiled Griz fans are concerned. The least statistically impressive of the five, John Edwards, was nearly crucified on Montana's message boards when under his leadership UM lost to MSU for the first time in 17 years, yet he finished 4th in the Payton voting. You'd better be ready for constant, harsh, and widespread scrutiny by the Griz Nation when you start taking snaps for the Griz, that's for sure.

I was really impressed with Edward's grit in leading the Griz to a near comeback in the 00' NC game, as a backup. He showed his leadership skills the following year by taking the Griz all the way. It's true that he sometimes took a real beating from the Griz fans. I was often perplexed at the criticism that he took on the Griz message boards. Some people are not satisfied with anything less that perfection.

GreatAppSt
May 21st, 2005, 08:55 PM
I was often perplexed at the criticism that he took on the Griz message boards. Some people are not satisfied with anything less that perfection.

Yeah the same for Chaz.

Grizo406
May 21st, 2005, 09:08 PM
It's true that he sometimes took a real beating from the Griz fans. I was often perplexed at the criticism that he took on the Griz message boards.

As a long time Griz fan that's seen all of Edwards' games, I can tell you without hesitation, eaglesrthe1, that the criticism he took is as perplexing to me as it is to you.

It's a real shame, because Johnny Montana had a record of 25/3 (or something very close to it), and a National Championship as a Griz.

Damn Griz fans! ;)

Ronbo
May 21st, 2005, 10:48 PM
I liked Edwards, he was solid. He didn't put up huge numbers because he played for Glenn's balanced offense. When you run for 175 and pass for 200 you're not going to have huge QB numbers.

ChickenMan
May 22nd, 2005, 07:12 AM
While UD certainly isn't known as QB U... they have had three QB's start for NFL teams over the past 25 years. Obviously Rich Gannon was one... the other two... Jeff Komlo who played four years for the Lions (one as starter) in the early 80's and Scott Brunner who played five years for the Giants and led them to a playoff win over the Eagles in '81.

lucchesicourt
May 23rd, 2005, 05:07 AM
UC Davis hasn't done too bad either. They went through a stretch where they had Mark Greib (AFL-QB and MVP), Khari Jones (MVP-CFL), Kevin Daft (former pro QB), and JT O"Sullivan (GB Packers). Not bad for a non scholarship D2 school,huh?
Now all we have is Jon Grant who is listed among the elites of D1AA.

lucchesicourt
May 23rd, 2005, 05:13 AM
Other notable QB's UC Davis has produced include: Ken O'Brien (NYJ), Mike Moroski (Atlanta Falcons, SF ), Jeff Bridewell (Arizona Cardinals), and of course their current coach Bob Biggs (CFL).

Kill'em
May 23rd, 2005, 07:55 AM
Even though I only saw Miller for part of the '00 N.C. game, I wasn't that impressed. I felt our defense had him very rattled. Edwards, however, was very impressive. He stayed cool even with a heavy rush and simply made plays. His throws weren't the prettiest but he got them to his receivers and that's what counts.

Now to brag on our long line of great QB's:Tracy Ham, Raymond Gross, Greg Hill, J.R. Revere (remember him? ;) ), and yes, Chaz Williams.

NOTE: Chaz Williams is the only one of these to not win at least one National Championship.

lucchesicourt
May 25th, 2005, 08:53 AM
It goes to show that there are many schools who have produced good QB's. Montana is not alone in their production of quality QB's/

CrunchGriz
May 25th, 2005, 11:55 AM
It goes to show that there are many schools who have produced good QB's. Montana is not alone in their production of quality QB's/

No argument there. However, I'll stack Montana's last five QBs up against anyone's, at least as far as I-AA achievements, both personal and team's, and QB production is concerned. That all five were legitimate Payton candidates (and four were high finishers for the award), is illustrative.

UCD, Delaware, and GSU have also produced a lot of great QBs [although GSU's are often great athletes who once in a blue moon complete a pass, rather than traditional QBs ;) ; I wouldn't argue that Montana's QB's run as well as GSU's, that's for sure. Chaz Williams is a good example; he certainly wasn't invited to anyone's NFL camp to play QB, but he might make it as a RB].

blueballs
May 25th, 2005, 12:18 PM
However, Montana has done it with 4 different coaches, and three different offensive systems, unlike either Georgia Southern or Youngstown State, which were both under the same coach and offensive system for all of their impressive runs.

GSU went to the 5 NC games in 6 years under two HC's, Erk Russell and Tim Stowers.

Montana certainly has been "Quarterback U" in 1-AA over the past 10 years. Isn't it funny how certain programs have their "bell cows" at a unique position and seem to always have stars at that position? EG: Penn St is "Linebacker U," UGA is "Running Back U," UF "Wide Receiver U," Miami is "DB & DL U"- all in 1-A.

Maybe this leads us to another question: Given Montana is "QB U" in 1-AA, which other programs would be Wide Receiver, Running Back, whatever "U" in 1-AA?

DaGriz
May 25th, 2005, 01:22 PM
Miami is "DB & DL U"-

You could make the case for running back U and tight end U also when it comes to Miami.

CrunchGriz
May 25th, 2005, 02:08 PM
Another interesting note about Montana's recent string of QBs:

While all five have gotten the Griz into the I-AA championship game, the two who led the Griz to titles were both native Montana boys: Dave Dickenson and John Edwards. The other three were all from other states: Ah Yat, Hawaii; Miller, Washington; and Ochs, Colorado.

Maybe that's because they felt a little more pride for representing the state, and were willing to give just a little more. I don't know.

Just a curious note--I'm not claiming any revolutionary conclusions here. Montana has too small a population to not take players from other states, particularly skill position players, but UM still has a high proportion of its roster from Montana.

There's a much larger pool of talent elsewhere, but the boys from Montana can play. (See, e.g., Carroll College, current three-time defending NAIA champions.)

lucchesicourt
May 25th, 2005, 07:25 PM
Since UCD was D2, I guess maybe you can stack yourselves up against the rest of D1AA. However, UCD's QB's over the last 5 have been much better than UM's, if you can base their achievements on the pro level. It would seem logical that your accomplishments at the pro level would dictate that you must have been very good at the D2 level. Wouldn't this make sense? And, if you were good at the pro level, as the records that Greib and Jones have set at this level, wouldn't it make sense that they would also have been successful at the D1AA level?
Sorry, but I'd take UCD's last five QB's over ANY college team(including D1A) in the country, as all played at the pro level (and 2 are arguably the best who ever played in their respective pro leagues) or are still playing professionally.

Mr. C
May 25th, 2005, 09:20 PM
I liked Edwards, he was solid. He didn't put up huge numbers because he played for Glenn's balanced offense. When you run for 175 and pass for 200 you're not going to have huge QB numbers.
The thing I always liked about about Edwards was that he was a winner. He wasn't the most talented QB, or the most polished, but he found a way to get it done with his gritty play.

Kill'em
May 26th, 2005, 06:17 PM
That's my point. Edwards was a winner. He sort of, reminded me of Brett Favre. It wasn't always pretty but he did what he needed to win. It isn't a matter of who was successful on the pro level. This is a college thread. A perfect example being Adrian Peterson. He ran for more yards than anyone in the history of college football, set more records than I can remember but hasn't had 30 carries in three years with the Chicago Bears. This doesn't take his collegiate accomplishments away. He is still the best running back in the history of college football IMHO.

UMgrizzlies
May 31st, 2005, 04:47 PM
Talkin QB's? Let talk Lang Campbell. Nearly 4,000 passing yards and only 5 pics.

UMgrizzlies
June 1st, 2005, 05:45 PM
Myself, limited experience in all, have confidence in the Griz in finding a solid starting QB who will lead us to our 13th straight playoff berth.

Mr. C
June 1st, 2005, 11:30 PM
That's my point. Edwards was a winner. He sort of, reminded me of Brett Favre. It wasn't always pretty but he did what he needed to win. It isn't a matter of who was successful on the pro level. This is a college thread. A perfect example being Adrian Peterson. He ran for more yards than anyone in the history of college football, set more records than I can remember but hasn't had 30 carries in three years with the Chicago Bears. This doesn't take his collegiate accomplishments away. He is still the best running back in the history of college football IMHO.
AP is certainly at the top of my I-AA list. We all know that the Chicago Bears have one of the worst bunches of front-office personnel in the NFL (well, maybe the guys for the Cincinnati Bengals are worse). I'd love to see AP get a legitimate chance to play before his career passes him by.