PDA

View Full Version : Incarnate Word approves move to Division I

chrisattsu
December 9th, 2011, 02:57 PM
The Board of Trustees at The University of Incarnate Word in San Antonio, TX has approved a movement to Division I.

Second year in the Lone Star Conference, talking with Southland.

Twentysix
December 9th, 2011, 02:58 PM
That is a weird university name... tops Oral Roberts imo.

Cleets
December 9th, 2011, 03:00 PM
When do the punch lines start rolling in on this thread

chrisattsu
December 9th, 2011, 03:00 PM
8000 student private Catholic university in the heart of San Antonio

$100 per semester per student athletic fee.

Full 63 scholarships by 2017

darell1976
December 9th, 2011, 03:02 PM
Word Up!!!

Cleets
December 9th, 2011, 03:04 PM
8000 student private Catholic university in the heart of San Antonio

Wow..
that's a pretty big school - can you verify the attendance - or shall I just take your WORD

chrisattsu
December 9th, 2011, 03:09 PM
Wow..
that's a pretty big school - can you verify the attendance - or shall I just take your WORD

They started their football program two year ago with a blank check from Tom Benson, a local business man (and owner of the New Orleans Saints).

Football attendance was 3652 in a 6,000 person stadium this past season.

Cleets
December 9th, 2011, 03:14 PM
They started their football program two year ago with a blank check from Tom Benson, a local business man (and owner of the New Orleans Saints).

Football attendance was 3652 in a 6,000 person stadium this past season.

Tom is such a nice man...
That's a pretty cool way to get started and the attendance is better than some schools with twice that student body

appfan2008
December 9th, 2011, 03:16 PM
strange name... never heard of the place.. .but sounds like they will be joining our ranks soon...

Bogus Megapardus
December 9th, 2011, 03:21 PM
Incarnate Word . . . .

One must be careful of the Words used in the NCAA these days, form what I understand.

MR. CHICKEN
December 9th, 2011, 03:26 PM
16318.....'NOTHERAH CUPCAKE...FO'...SOUFFLAND.....CORNBELTERS....LEFT COAST...AN' MOUNTAIN-TOPPERS..........xrotatehx.....BUK...BUK...BRAWK!

eagle07
December 9th, 2011, 03:28 PM
And i always thought, it was the bird that was the word

BIRD BIRD BIRD, BIRDS THE WORD

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lvcn0jFndp1qg39ewo1_500.gif

bisonguy
December 9th, 2011, 06:49 PM
Somebody has to post this, might as well be me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZjAantupsA

Cleets
December 9th, 2011, 06:52 PM
Sadly that CAMEO song is part of my youth...

towsonx
December 9th, 2011, 07:54 PM
Having won 2 games last season and still surrendering 50-60 points to DII teams, I'd guess IWU will play an independent schedule for a while.

FCS teams would probably have to take a number or pay to play them for a D1 win.

GSUhooligan
December 9th, 2011, 08:18 PM
Ugh. I always thought this school was the name analysts used when they were tired of using "sisters of the poor" when discussing crappy OOC matchups or weak SOS.

Squealofthepig
December 9th, 2011, 11:47 PM
/bump just so others can have fun with this one

Cleets
December 9th, 2011, 11:51 PM
FCS teams would probably have to take a number or pay to play them for a D1 win.

This made me laugh...

xlolx

49RFootballNow
December 10th, 2011, 12:01 AM
The "Cameo" in that video was Kunte Kinte. Banana comb eyewear and reading rainbows!

Squealofthepig
December 10th, 2011, 12:04 AM
The "Cameo" in that video was Kunte Kinte. Banana comb eyewear and reading rainbows!

Tell me what's the word, a word-up... captain.

49RFootballNow
December 10th, 2011, 12:06 AM
Tell me what's the word, a word-up... captain.

Toby............is the word, but I hear ofter that it's:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2WNrx2jq184

Sly Fox
December 10th, 2011, 12:56 AM
Incarnate Word has a gorgeous campus just north of downtown San Antonio. It has to kill them seeing UTSA getting all of this attention. I imagine when they saw HBU use football to get into the Southland their ears perked up.

NoCoDanny
December 10th, 2011, 02:46 AM
Having won 2 games last season and still surrendering 50-60 points to DII teams, I'd guess IWU will play an independent schedule for a while.

Just schedule us, guaranteed win. xconfusedx

ChristopherBearkat
December 17th, 2011, 12:32 PM
Please don't go to Southland...please please please no

We'll never get that SoS talk to die down

TheBisonator
December 22nd, 2011, 07:57 AM
West Texas A&M is capable of moving up, they have the resources, but they'll need to at least double their athletic budget.

BisonHype!
December 22nd, 2011, 10:35 AM

But that would mean that even though FCS teams that already have their schedules full for next season would have to pay a team not to play them, even though they contracted with them, so they could play these cupcakes for an easy win. A team wouldn't do that though... what? You mean this has happened before?

ZING!!!

chrisattsu
January 19th, 2012, 02:51 PM
Presentation this week...

http://blog.mysanantonio.com/the-local-scene/2012/01/incarnate-word-to-make-its-southland-conference-pitch/

Per the LSC Scoop, ACU's President and AD are meeting with SLC today in Dallas.

http://lscscoop.com/articles/articles/acu-statement-regarding-slc-presentation.html

SFA 71
January 19th, 2012, 08:15 PM
My middle daughter graduated from Incarnate Word. It' just across a freeway from Trinity University.

OhioHen
January 20th, 2012, 08:39 AM
My middle daughter graduated from Incarnate Word. It' just across a freeway from Trinity University.

Making another example of an FCS in close proximity to a regular participant in the D-III playoffs (see Delaware State and Wesley College).

BearsCountry
January 21st, 2012, 02:54 PM
If Incarnate Word is added it would make two nice division splits.

Central Arkansas
McNeese State
Nicholls State
Northwestern State
Oral Roberts
Southeastern Louisiana

Houston Baptist
Incarnate Word
Lamar
Sam Houston State
Stephen F. Austin
Texas A&M-Corpus Christi

Also travel parteners would be pretty good as well.

Central Arkansas/Oral Roberts
Northwestern State/McNeese State
Nicholls/Southeastern Louisiana
Houston Baptist/Lamar
Sam Houston State/Stephen F. Austin
Incarnate Word/Texas A&M-Corpus Christi

Also the Southland would have exposure in Houston, San Antonio, Little Rock (UCA), Tulsa, and New Orleans (SELA). It would be nice somehow get back into the Metroplex though.

chrisattsu
January 23rd, 2012, 09:49 AM
If Incarnate Word is added it would make two nice division splits.

Central Arkansas
McNeese State
Nicholls State
Northwestern State
Oral Roberts
Southeastern Louisiana

Houston Baptist
Incarnate Word
Lamar
Sam Houston State
Stephen F. Austin
Texas A&M-Corpus Christi

Also travel parteners would be pretty good as well.

Central Arkansas/Oral Roberts
Northwestern State/McNeese State
Nicholls/Southeastern Louisiana
Houston Baptist/Lamar
Sam Houston State/Stephen F. Austin
Incarnate Word/Texas A&M-Corpus Christi

Also the Southland would have exposure in Houston, San Antonio, Little Rock (UCA), Tulsa, and New Orleans (SELA). It would be nice somehow get back into the Metroplex though.

If the SLC wants a foothold in the Metroplex, they will need to look at Texas A&M Commerce, Dallas Baptist, Tarleton State, or Texas Womans.

chrisattsu
January 23rd, 2012, 09:58 AM
West Texas A&M is capable of moving up, they have the resources, but they'll need to at least double their athletic budget.

They do have the facilities and fanbase to make the move to FCS. However distance is a major factor.

To put it into perspective, they are closer to South Dakota State and Southern Utah than Nicholls State and Southeastern Louisiana.

Northern Colorado is closer than their would-be closest rival (Sam Houston).

carney2
January 23rd, 2012, 01:56 PM
This thread finally gives me the opportunity to use the one word line that I frequently get about my alma mater:

Who?!

Seat16Demon
January 25th, 2012, 09:20 PM
Per the LSC Scoop, ACU's President and AD are meeting with SLC today in Dallas.

http://lscscoop.com/articles/articles/acu-statement-regarding-slc-presentation.html

Well, this could get interesting. Incarnate Word and ACU in a heated duel to see who lands a new gig in the Southland. Hmmmmm....xeyebrowx

chrisattsu
January 26th, 2012, 09:44 AM
Well, this could get interesting. Incarnate Word and ACU in a heated duel to see who lands a new gig in the Southland. Hmmmmm....xeyebrowx

Not going to lie, your Vic avatar is rather unsettling.

Seat16Demon
February 1st, 2012, 10:12 AM
Oh, yeah, this is the old school late-70's logo we used when I was just a wee lad. My parents are grads from the early-70's and I remember seeing that logo everywhere when I was a kid. They changed it up a bit when I was there in mid-90's. Now the logo is more cartoonish and less, well, 'demonic'.

DFW HOYA
February 1st, 2012, 11:00 AM
If the SLC wants a foothold in the Metroplex, they will need to look at Texas A&M Commerce, Dallas Baptist, Tarleton State, or Texas Womans.

TAM-C (formerly East Texas State) is 65 miles from Dallas, Tarleton 100 miles. There's no foothold for the SLC unless Dallas Baptist adds football or Paul Quinn stop growing crops on the football field.

http://blogs.dallasobserver.com/cityofate/field.jpg

http://blogs.dallasobserver.com/cityofate/2010/10/paul_quinn_college_declares_st.php