PDA

View Full Version : LEHIGH SHOULD SEEK AN INJUNCTION - NOW!

LEHIGH61
December 9th, 2011, 09:22 AM
No NCAA rules were broken. The punishment was too harsh. Can the NCAA do anytning they want to when they really don't know how to handle a situation? I think Lehigh has a good case against the NCAA. Take the $ and PLEASE DO SOMETHING! Spadola's dreams are being destroyed by a simple mistake.

darell1976
December 9th, 2011, 09:25 AM
No NCAA rules were broken. The punishment was too harsh. Can the NCAA do anytning they want to when they really don't know how to handle a situation? I think Lehigh has a good case against the NCAA. Take the $ and PLEASE DO SOMETHING! Spadola's dreams are being destroyed by a simple mistake.

Yes the NCAA can do whatever they want. Its their club. They make up the rules as they go along.

LehighGuy
December 9th, 2011, 09:27 AM
Yes the NCAA can do whatever they want. Its their club. They make up the rules as they go along.

The sad reality is that you are exactly right.

darell1976
December 9th, 2011, 09:28 AM
The sad reality is that you are exactly right.

We have had our fight against the NCAA for 6 years that finally ended...in favor of the NCAA. Its never a win-win situation for the schools.

TUTigers
December 9th, 2011, 09:29 AM
Spadola's dreams are being destroyed by a simple mistake.

Maybe he should of thought of that before he stupidly tweeted the n-word. I agree that the punishment is harsh but he had to know it was not a smart decision.

RichH2
December 9th, 2011, 09:32 AM
Maybe he should of thought of that before he stupidly tweeted the n-word. I agree that the punishment is harsh but he had to know it was not a smart decision.

Anything happen to the TU guy who tweeted the phrase to him?

TUTigers
December 9th, 2011, 09:33 AM
Anything happen to the TU guy who tweeted the phrase to him?

It was a Stony Brook player (Matt Faiella) that tweeted the phrase to him... not a Towson guy.

RichH2
December 9th, 2011, 09:36 AM

Look , it would be possible to get a preliminary injunction pending a hearing on a motion to overturn NCAA action. Few ifany of these proceedings work out beneficially for the school or the athlete. NCAA will make you pay for any short term relief gotten now

RichH2
December 9th, 2011, 09:37 AM
It was a Stony Brook player (Matt Faiella) that tweeted the phrase to him... not a Towson guy.

Thanks did not know that. Now I am bit nonplussed as to posts here that the violation was for taunting Towson?

darell1976
December 9th, 2011, 09:38 AM
I bet the punishment would be different if this was just the regular season and not the playoffs.

TUTigers
December 9th, 2011, 09:39 AM
Thanks did not know that. Now I am bit nonplussed as to posts here that the violation was for taunting Towson?

Here is a summary:

1) Stony Brook player tweeted to Spadola "These niggas be talkin ****" referencing Towson
2) Spadola tweets back to Faiella his infamous tweet, niggas was in reference to Towson players it just wasnt sent directly to a Towson player

Pard4Life
December 9th, 2011, 09:40 AM
The NCAA is garbage but that's another can of worms... the NCAA has no legally binding structure and the only reason they have any power is that every school consents. The huge conference realignment and bowl system shows how powerless the NCAA can be and may very well be the start of their destruction. They only exist because of the NCAA bball revenue. It's funny that they finally killed the independent NIT... I'm sure the NCAA would love to get their hands on an FBS playoff.

NoDak 4 Ever
December 9th, 2011, 09:41 AM

I'm still curious as to the provenance of this message. From the screen caps provided and knowing what I know if Twitter, there is no evidence of this message being copied, retweeted, forwarded to him or anything. The use of the @username is a way for Twitter to "tag" the other person so they can see that someone has either replied or taken an effort to make them aware of the message.

For example if I wanted Jennifer Lopez to know I want her to have my babies I would tweet the following: @JLo I want you to have my babies It would appear in my timeline for anybody to see. It was an original message by me. If Jennifer Lopez wanted to see my message, she would check her @mentions in Twitter.

All evidence points to RS having either copied this message to appear in his own timeline mentioning his friend. If he didn't understand how Twitter works, that is his fault. It is not the behavior that we exhibit in public that reveals the soul, but that which we do in private. If he intended this to be a private message, he got caught being an a-hole. Quite simple actually.

SouthMountainWreckingBall
December 9th, 2011, 09:44 AM
Look , it would be possible to get a preliminary injunction pending a hearing on a motion to overturn NCAA action. Few ifany of these proceedings work out beneficially for the school or the athlete. NCAA will make you pay for any short term relief gotten now

Even were that not true, Lehigh isn't going to do anything to raise the visibility of this or prolong the amount of time that it is spotlighted. A university is that last place where one can reasonably expect a stand against political correctness.

SouthMountainWreckingBall
December 9th, 2011, 09:47 AM
I'm still curious as to the provenance of this message. From the screen caps provided and knowing what I know if Twitter, there is no evidence of this message being copied, retweeted, forwarded to him or anything. The use of the @username is a way for Twitter to "tag" the other person so they can see that someone has either replied or taken an effort to make them aware of the message.

For example if I wanted Jennifer Lopez to know I want her to have my babies I would tweet the following: @JLo I want you to have my babies It would appear in my timeline for anybody to see. It was an original message by me. If Jennifer Lopez wanted to see my message, she would check her @mentions in Twitter.

All evidence points to RS having either copied this message to appear in his own timeline mentioning his friend. If he didn't understand how Twitter works, that is his fault. It is not the behavior that we exhibit in public that reveals the soul, but that which we do in private. If he intended this to be a private message, he got caught being an a-hole. Quite simple actually.

It was clearly a response to someone. Though without seeing what was tweeted to him it really does seem like we have half the story.

darell1976
December 9th, 2011, 09:48 AM
The NCAA is garbage but that's another can of worms... the NCAA has no legally binding structure and the only reason they have any power is that every school consents. The huge conference realignment and bowl system shows how powerless the NCAA can be and may very well be the start of their destruction. They only exist because of the NCAA bball revenue. It's funny that they finally killed the independent NIT... I'm sure the NCAA would love to get their hands on an FBS playoff.

The NCAA is doing this so they don't get activists after them like the ACLU and the NAACP to stir up a lot of negative publicity to the NCAA. The NCAA is already being sued by the Spirit Lake Sioux Nation on discrimination and about 13 other charges, the NCAA hasn't done anything (to my knowledge) about the Penn State or Syracuse thing. The NCAA cares only about $$$ (why do you think they allowed ESPN to hold the FCS playoffs hostage). The NCAA is corrupt beyond belief and until congress starts investigating nothing is going to change them.

RichH2
December 9th, 2011, 09:51 AM
Even were that not true, Lehigh isn't going to do anything to raise the visibility of this or prolong the amount of time that it is spotlighted. A university is that last place where one can reasonably expect a stand against political correctness.

Yup

NoDak 4 Ever
December 9th, 2011, 09:52 AM
The NCAA is doing this so they don't get activists after them like the ACLU and the NAACP to stir up a lot of negative publicity to the NCAA. The NCAA is already being sued by the Spirit Lake Sioux Nation on discrimination and about 13 other charges, the NCAA hasn't done anything (to my knowledge) about the Penn State or Syracuse thing. The NCAA cares only about $$$ (why do you think they allowed ESPN to hold the FCS playoffs hostage). The NCAA is corrupt beyond belief and until congress starts investigating nothing is going to change them.

Wah Wah, poor UND under the thumb of the NCAA. Stop it. Nobody cares.

As to whether this was a reply or not if it is going to be public, you should stop and think "Wow I can't use that word no matter what". So, it is two knuckleheads instead of one. Big deal. I find it really weird that the blond hair, blue eyed, white guy from North Dakota is the most culturally sensitive person in this conversation.

DFW HOYA
December 9th, 2011, 09:53 AM
Outside of this board, I have not heard one mention of this story. And according to Google news, it has zero coverage outside Lehigh and (maybe) Fargo.

http://news.google.com/news/more?hl=en&gl=us&q=ryan+spadola&gs_upl=8125l8328l0l14438l7l1l0l0l0l0l313l313l3-1l1l0&um=1&ie=UTF-8&ncl=dZVAKnZJ8Fh7rrMRWNl1Sq5LaInrM&ei=gy7iTvjZGqK0sQK9k8mlBg&sa=X&oi=news_result&ct=more-results&resnum=1&ved=0CC8QqgIwAA

darell1976
December 9th, 2011, 09:55 AM
Wah Wah, poor UND under the thumb of the NCAA. Stop it. Nobody cares.

As to whether this was a reply or not if it is going to be public, you should stop and think "Wow I can't use that word no matter what". So, it is two knuckleheads instead of one. Big deal. I find it really weird that the blond hair, blue eyed, white guy from North Dakota is the most culturally sensitive person in this conversation.

What is your problem?? I brought up the SL thing to show the NCAA already has lawsuits and cannot afford a new one.

NoDak 4 Ever
December 9th, 2011, 10:00 AM
What is your problem?? I brought up the SL thing to show the NCAA already has lawsuits and cannot afford a new one.

The problem is that Spirit Lake thing is going to be dismissed on standing as soon as it gets before a judge, that's dumb. This is a completely different issue. Nobody is seeking a lawsuit, the NCAA is a multi-billion dollar organization that can handle lawsuits from pissant organizations and individuals all day.

The OP is stupid, tying this into the dumbass Sioux thing is stupid. That's all.

Squealofthepig
December 9th, 2011, 10:00 AM
Outside of this board, I have not heard one mention of this story. And according to Google news, it has zero coverage outside Lehigh and (maybe) Fargo.

http://news.google.com/news/more?hl=en&gl=us&q=ryan+spadola&gs_upl=8125l8328l0l14438l7l1l0l0l0l0l313l313l3-1l1l0&um=1&ie=UTF-8&ncl=dZVAKnZJ8Fh7rrMRWNl1Sq5LaInrM&ei=gy7iTvjZGqK0sQK9k8mlBg&sa=X&oi=news_result&ct=more-results&resnum=1&ved=0CC8QqgIwAA

Oh sure, use logic and cry tempest in a teapot.

darell1976
December 9th, 2011, 10:02 AM
The problem is that Spirit Lake thing is going to be dismissed on standing as soon as it gets before a judge, that's dumb. This is a completely different issue. Nobody is seeking a lawsuit, the NCAA is a multi-billion dollar organization that can handle lawsuits from pissant organizations and individuals all day.

The OP is stupid, tying this into the dumbass Sioux thing is stupid. That's all.

The ALCU and the NAACP are pissant organizations??? Wow!!!! And I thought Lakesbison was the only one with really stupid comments.

Squealofthepig
December 9th, 2011, 10:04 AM
Hipster Darrell reminds us: North Dakota hated the NCAA before it was cool.

NoDak 4 Ever
December 9th, 2011, 10:06 AM
The ALCU and the NAACP are pissant organizations??? Wow!!!! And I thought Lakesbison was the only one with really stupid comments.

Spirit Lake would be the small, insignificant organization to which I am referring. If RS were to sue, he would also be rather insignificant. Reading comprehension and critical thinking are required for graduation from NDSU, I wish it were the same at UND.

darell1976
December 9th, 2011, 10:10 AM
Spirit Lake would be the small, insignificant organization to which I am referring. If RS were to sue, he would also be rather insignificant. Reading comprehension and critical thinking are required for graduation from NDSU, I wish it were the same at UND.

Nobody is seeking a lawsuit, the NCAA is a multi-billion dollar organization that can handle lawsuits from pissant organizations and individuals all day.

This means you are referring to the NAACP and the ACLU since they are not currently seeking a lawsuit. So how many times did it take for you to graduate from NDSU?

RichH2
December 9th, 2011, 10:12 AM
I guess this thread has devolved into a p*ssing contest between Montana and NDak

darell1976
December 9th, 2011, 10:12 AM
I guess this thread has devolved into a p*ssing contest between Montana and NDak

More like a clueless NDSU fan and reality.

Wags
December 9th, 2011, 10:41 AM
Towson players are not allowed to Tweet. Wise move by Ambrose.

NoDak 4 Ever
December 9th, 2011, 10:43 AM
This means you are referring to the NAACP and the ACLU since they are not currently seeking a lawsuit. So how many times did it take for you to graduate from NDSU?

OK, we are not fighting. I am not clueless, you are just missing my point. Nobody from Lehigh, the Patriot League, the Spadola family, or anyone is seeking a lawsuit over this issue. Your beef with the various organizations over this whole Fighting Sioux thing is completely irrelevant to this situation. I was simply requesting that while we are all mired in this conversation that you do not inject your butthurtedness into it. That is all.

darell1976
December 9th, 2011, 10:47 AM
OK, we are not fighting. I am not clueless, you are just missing my point. Nobody from Lehigh, the Patriot League, the Spadola family, or anyone is seeking a lawsuit over this issue. Your beef with the various organizations over this whole Fighting Sioux thing is completely irrelevant to this situation. I was simply requesting that while we are all mired in this conversation that you do not inject your butthurtedness into it. That is all.

My point in all this was IMO (and I know it ain't worth much) if the NCAA did NOT suspend the Lehigh player they( NCAA) are opening themselves up to a lawsuit with the ACLU (because they are in everything) and the NAACP (because the player which the word was referencing to was black). So I brought up about SL is already suing the NCAA (so the NCAA can't afford multiple lawsuits), no word on whether there could be lawsuits against the NCAA on the Penn State thing since nothing was done to the school (sanctions etc.) on this whole thing. Because if the NCAA is involved in mulitple lawsuits on discrimination(SL) or something racial (Lehigh, and I guess SL) or criminal (Penn State) then congress may step in and that is something the NCAA doesn't want...ever. I apoligize for the confusion.

NoDak 4 Ever
December 9th, 2011, 10:59 AM
My point in all this was IMO (and I know it ain't worth much) if the NCAA did NOT suspend the Lehigh player they( NCAA) are opening themselves up to a lawsuit with the ACLU (because they are in everything) and the NAACP (because the player which the word was referencing to was black). So I brought up about SL is already suing the NCAA (so the NCAA can't afford multiple lawsuits), no word on whether there could be lawsuits against the NCAA on the Penn State thing since nothing was done to the school (sanctions etc.) on this whole thing. Because if the NCAA is involved in mulitple lawsuits on discrimination(SL) or something racial (Lehigh, and I guess SL) or criminal (Penn State) then congress may step in and that is something the NCAA doesn't want...ever. I apoligize for the confusion.

Neither of those organizations could prove standing. They would have to sue on behalf of the aggrieved, which there is really none since it is still rather ambiguous as to whom the tweet was directed. The NCAA appears to have done this on behalf of one of their member organizations and since the other member organization did not appeal, accepted the punishment, and is moving on, it appears that the system worked exactly as it should. No legal intervention necessary.

darell1976
December 9th, 2011, 11:03 AM
Neither of those organizations could prove standing. They would have to sue on behalf of the aggrieved, which there is really none since it is still rather ambiguous as to whom the tweet was directed. The NCAA appears to have done this on behalf of one of their member organizations and since the other member organization did not appeal, accepted the punishment, and is moving on, it appears that the system worked exactly as it should. No legal intervention necessary.

Fair enoughxpeacex

LeadBolt
December 9th, 2011, 11:23 AM
I'd bet that there is a certain attorney in Baltimore that could be enticed to take this case...

MTfan4life
December 9th, 2011, 11:28 AM
I'd bet that there is a certain attorney in Baltimore that could be enticed to take this case...

No cops though.