PDA

View Full Version : Spadola Suspended

Pages : [1] 2

NDB
December 8th, 2011, 03:23 PM
http://www.ncaa.org/wps/wcm/connect/public/ncaa/resources/latest+news/2011/december/public+reprimand+and+suspension+issued+to+lehigh+u niversity+football+student-athlete

caribbeanhen
December 8th, 2011, 03:27 PM
ouch, not surprised though.... just wanted to see the kid play. It's not like the world is going to be a better place because of the suspension.

bluehenbillk
December 8th, 2011, 03:27 PM
The fact that the NCAA had to come in & clean up the mess makes Lehigh look bad in this case.

Someone at Lehigh, whether it be the coach, the AD, the President, someone should've stood up. Wonder how the African-Americans that attend LU feel about that.

Another black eye for football-playing schools in the state of PA recently....

bisonnation
December 8th, 2011, 03:28 PM
That's crap. What he did was stupid but it seems to be a bit harsh, especially since it's a playoff game. I suppose the NCAA doesn't recognize the difference. Bummer. I'm sure Lehigh will be just fine with their phenomenal QB though. I'll gladly eat crow since I said it was a BS rumor. Mr Leghigh guy was right.

F'N Hawks
December 8th, 2011, 03:29 PM
NDSU has a horseshoe up their ***. Their path through the first two games was easy enough comparatively, now it gets easier.

BisonBohl
December 8th, 2011, 03:31 PM
NDSU has a horseshoe up their ***. Their path through the first two games was easy enough, now it gets easier.

You are an idiot.

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 8th, 2011, 03:33 PM
Wow....I don't think he deserved this. I was looking forward to watching him play on saturday.

frozennorth
December 8th, 2011, 03:33 PM
What a load of ****.

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 8th, 2011, 03:34 PM
NDSU has a horseshoe up their ***. Their path through the first two games was easy enough comparatively, now it gets easier.

Hey loser, go troll somewhere else.

Gringer1
December 8th, 2011, 03:35 PM
All I heard was "please don't sue us!"

Squealofthepig
December 8th, 2011, 03:37 PM
This is just ultra bs. It would be nice if Spadola could appeal this and at least postpone the suspension.

I think, as FCS fans, the clear thing for us to do is scour all of the LSU/Alabama player's tweets and report every offensive tweet we might happen to find.

bisonnation
December 8th, 2011, 03:38 PM

Lehigh would beat the UND Who by 4 TD's without their top receiver. Besides, WE EARNED homefiled by winning a great conference. Not by winning a 4 team conference and playing NAIA and D2 teams with last second wins over winless Northern Colorado in front of 900 people at the Alerus Center and somehow convincing a few people you deserved to be ranked.

BisonBohl
December 8th, 2011, 03:39 PM
This is just ultra bs. It would be nice if Spadola could appeal this and at least postpone the suspension.

I think, as FCS fans, the clear thing for us to do is scour all of the LSU/Alabama player's tweets and report every offensive tweet we might happen to find.

If it is directed toward an opponent then you have every right to do so...Interesting to see what Towson coach has to say about this...

FargoBison
December 8th, 2011, 03:39 PM

The NCAA doesn't really control bowls like they do the playoffs....That said I think it would be tough to find a similar tweet. Sure some might use the word but probably not aimed at their opponent they'll be playing against that week.

Clambake
December 8th, 2011, 03:41 PM
The NCAA doesn't really control bowls like they do the playoffs....That said I think it would be tough to find a similar tweet. Sure some might use the word but probably not aimed at their opponent they'll be playing against that week.

It was not aimed at Towson. It was a reply to his friend.

Squealofthepig
December 8th, 2011, 03:41 PM

Yeah - the direction toward the other team is the tough thing to find, I'll admit. I just wanted Lehigh/NDSU to be the best possible game, now we'll always have the what ifs, especially if Lehigh loses a close one.

Clambake
December 8th, 2011, 03:42 PM

Or Montana player's tweets

Squealofthepig
December 8th, 2011, 03:44 PM
Or Montana player's tweets

Someone has a hard-on for Montana! *blows kisses*

caribbeanhen
December 8th, 2011, 03:45 PM
The fact that the NCAA had to come in & clean up the mess makes Lehigh look bad in this case.

Someone at Lehigh, whether it be the coach, the AD, the President, someone should've stood up. Wonder how the African-Americans that attend LU feel about that.

Another black eye for football-playing schools in the state of PA recently....

I dont know how blacks really feel, but I do hear blacks using the same term... I realize they are using it in a different context than a racist that might use the word, but is it impossible for a white guy to use the word in the same context as blacks do? What if a white guy has a black friend and jokingly uses that word when in his company like all the time and the black guy has no real problem with it.... ? Is that offensive?

Clambake
December 8th, 2011, 03:46 PM
Someone has a hard-on for Montana! *blows kisses*

Only because the Chair of the FCS Championship committee is AD at Montana

eaglesrthe1
December 8th, 2011, 03:47 PM
I'd be interested to know the title of the song that was played at the pregame that had the same word in the lyrics. Surprised that Towson would play a song with that in it.

BisonBacker
December 8th, 2011, 03:49 PM
I think it's a load of crap!

UNHFootballAlum
December 8th, 2011, 03:49 PM
ouch, not surprised though.... just wanted to see the kid play. It's not like the world is going to be a better place because of the suspension.

We can always go back to the 1950's & 60's when racial slurs were publically accepted and then Spadola would not be suspended.

NoDak 4 Ever
December 8th, 2011, 03:50 PM
I dont know how blacks really feel, but I do hear blacks using the same term... I realize they are using it in a different context than a racist that might use the word, but is it impossible for a white guy to use the word in the same context as blacks do? What if a white guy has a black friend and jokingly uses that word when in his company like all the time and the black guy has no real problem with it.... ? Is that offensive?

Just in case anyone hasn't seen the tweet, it was screen captured in by this blogger.

http://alexglaze.wordpress.com/2011/12/03/should-spadola-have-played/

Now I understand that there is context but there is no indication of a retweet, no indication that it is a quote by anybody but Mr. Spadola. Whether or not he is a racist is irrelevant, it uses charged, stupid, racist language directed towards another player and gives the NCAA lots of reason to do something. It is his fault and he deserves the blame. It isn't the NCAA's fault, NDSU's fault, or even Towson's fault. It is completely the fault of this young man. Hopefully he will learn a lesson from this about responsibility and sportsmanship.

Lehigh Football Nation
December 8th, 2011, 03:56 PM
http://lehighfootballnation.blogspot.com/2011/12/breaking-spadola-suspended-by-ncaa.html

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 8th, 2011, 03:56 PM
I don't see a big S (superman) letter on his jersey. The Bison had numerous players out this year for 1 game or multiple games and we managed to play w/o them.

If Lehigh cannot compete or win w/o him, then they have issues.

LehighGuy
December 8th, 2011, 03:57 PM
Hopefully the rest of these players are held to the same standard. Let justice prevail Mr. Chairman.

http://i.imgur.com/oeX1i.jpg

bisonnation
December 8th, 2011, 03:59 PM

A white guy should never ever use the N word. No debate. Most blacks would be completely offended if a white dude walks up to him and says "hey n**##*r what's up!! I would be offended if I saw it.

NDB
F### off, Lehigh Guy.,

There is a fundamental difference. Spadola used the term to refer to Towson players.

Squealofthepig
Hopefully the rest of these players are held to the same standard. Let justice prevail Mr. Chairman.

None of those are directly taunting an opponent. (And again, I'm very much of the anti-suspension crowd, but have to remember it was directed towards an opposing team and not just used (way too) casually in a social media generally.

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 8th, 2011, 04:00 PM

Those are to each other....teammates.

Apples and oranges....

caribbeanhen
December 8th, 2011, 04:00 PM
We can always go back to the 1950's & 60's when racial slurs were publically accepted and then Spadola would not be suspended.

have you ever thought for a second that it' not the 50' s anymore.... not the same word, used in a different context today by blacks mostly, I've witnessed black kids calling white kids the same name and white kids say it right back to the black kid, not saying it's right but these kids are not enemies and are actually friends, but they do call each other that word..... Yep, times have changed. I realize the word is still offensive, but shockingly not as many in the younger crowd consider it to be

bisonnation
December 8th, 2011, 04:02 PM
F### off, Lehigh Guy.,

There is a fundamental difference. Spadola used the term to refer to Towson players.

Black townson players and he's white.

FargoBison
December 8th, 2011, 04:02 PM

You sir are a complete joke, take some responsibility. Your player taunted another team on twitter and used racially charged language to do so, he has nobody to blame but himself due to his stupid actions.

If a fan yelled the same thing at the Lehigh bench on Saturday, they'd be ejected from the game and rightfully so.

Professor Chaos
December 8th, 2011, 04:09 PM
Can we make a private thread for LehighGuy and Lakes to throw their incoherent one-sided babbling at each other where the rest of us don't have to dodge the bull****?

Green26
December 8th, 2011, 04:15 PM
Lehighguy, look at my PM to you.

BisonBacker
December 8th, 2011, 04:17 PM
Can we make a private thread for LehighGuy and Lakes to throw their incoherent one-sided babbling at each other where the rest of us don't have to dodge the bull****?

I second this motion xbowxxbowxxbowxxbowx

Squealofthepig
December 8th, 2011, 04:17 PM

Ah Butters, you wonderful voice of reason you.

ngineer
December 8th, 2011, 04:20 PM

Excellent point as context means everything. One of my two best friends in high school was black (died 25 years ago, now) and we'd razz each other all the time with the street language of the era. As said by Justice Stewart, "You know it when you see it"....or in this case, "when you hear it".

This is a damn shame. Lehigh stepped up immediately when this occurred and made the player address the team and apologize. An official statement was issued at the same time outlining the steps being taken by school and required conduct of the player. This suspension does nothing but now add controversy to a game where people are going to second guess outcomes and situations. It hurts both schools punishes more than just the transgressor. With all the 'tweeting' going on, this opens a "Pandora's box" for all sorts of disciplinary action for what thousands of kids are doing with their texting, tweeting, etc. NCAA sticks their hands in when and where not needed, yet are MIA where really needed in requiring academic accountability.

LehighGuy
December 8th, 2011, 04:20 PM
Lehighguy, look at my PM to you.

Replied.

Clambake
December 8th, 2011, 04:22 PM

Apples and oranges....

The tweet from the Towson player was directed at Lehigh. He does need a geography lesson since Lehigh is in eastern PA.

LakesBison
December 8th, 2011, 04:23 PM
YOU DUMBF<CK LEHIGHGUY

THEY ARE BLACK PLAYERS TALKING TO OTHER BLACK PLAYERS

NOT A STUPID RACIST WHITE KID CALLING OUT BLACK TOWSON DEF BACKS ARE YOU THAT STUPID ??

Engineer86
December 8th, 2011, 04:24 PM

Apples and oranges....

That is BS so now the reason for the suspension is the "trash talking" using non pc language. Most games would have to be stopped at halftime. If it is not pc to say it, it is not pc to say it period

Lehigh Football Nation
From my comment thread:

I wonder if Jim O'Day has read the tweets of the University of Montana Players. Specifically Houston Roots (@hollywood_roots) and Jabin Sambrano (@hellaboosty16). I assume those players will be playing this weekend against Northern Iowa.

FargoBison
YOU DUMBF<CK LEHIGHGUY

THEY ARE BLACK PLAYERS TALKING TO OTHER BLACK PLAYERS

NOT A STUPID RACIST WHITE KID CALLING OUT BLACK TOWSON DEF BACKS ARE YOU THAT STUPID ??

LOUD NOISES!!!!!!

LakesBison
December 8th, 2011, 04:25 PM
CALL UNI TOO!! SINKFIELD AND SONIE ARE TWEETING TO NDSU GUYS!! AND OMG THEY ARE ALL BLACK!!! OH NO!!!

UNHFootballAlum
December 8th, 2011, 04:25 PM
A white guy should never ever use the N word. No debate. Most blacks would be completely offended if a white dude walks up to him and says "hey n**##*r what's up!! I would be offended if I saw it.

+1 the ethnic (in this case white) group that coined the negative phrase against another group of people cannot then use that same term to mean something different to that group. Americans cannot call Japanese people JAP's and then say but now it means "let's hang out". The Japanese people would be very upset about that.

eaglesrthe1
December 8th, 2011, 04:27 PM
Just to play devil's advocate, some of those tweets that LehighGuy is posting can certainly be construed as offensive and in the same context. Not a friend talking about a friend type of thing.

One seems to disparage all the African American people in the entire western part of Pennsylvania, while in another the tweet seems to disparage all females. Unless someone is going to try to make me belive he would refer to his sister or mother as a gardening utensil. I can't make out what the guy who seems to want to take a crap on people is getting at, but I doubt he's talking about his homeboys.

GannonFan
December 8th, 2011, 04:27 PM
Can't excuse the kid and can't blame the NCAA for something Lehigh should've done already. You can't be a white person and, in print, say what this kid said about his Black opponents, most of whom, I'm sure, aren't on a "friendly banter" basis with him. If you don't understand that then you must be living under a rock. No one to blame here but Spadola.

LakesBison
December 8th, 2011, 04:28 PM
Lehigh guy, come to fargo, ill introduce you to MWILL, EVANS, JEMISON and we'll see what they say about this.

I have talked to them. they are smart enough to know the difference and yes they think that Spagola was wrong for doing this, but they cant help that the NCAA suspended the kid, they just want to win 3 more games, they dont care what color the other team is. <<< how refreshing is that.

ngineer
December 8th, 2011, 04:28 PM
My only lament at this point, is why wait until Thursday? The team is already going to miss Spadola's presence, but now the team, not Spadola, is further penalized by not having some time to get the back up prepared to start, or time to change positions. Team leaves for Fargo tomorrow a.m. Since this was supposedly known either before or shortly after the Towson game, this could have been dealt with by Tuesday.

gotts
December 8th, 2011, 04:29 PM
Lehigh guy, come to fargo, ill introduce you to MWILL, EVANS, JEMISON and we'll see what they say about this.

I have talked to them. they are smart enough to know the difference and yes they think that Spagola was wrong for doing this, but they cant help that the NCAA suspended the kid, they just want to win 3 more games, they dont care what color the other team is. <<< how refreshing is that.

You didn't say jack to them.

The best thing that can happen for NDSU is for you to lose your hands and vocal chords so you can't go off spewing any more garbage.

bisonnation
December 8th, 2011, 04:30 PM
so Leghigh Guy is demanding every player in the FCS and FBS gets their Twitter accounts audited and if they say the word ni**a they should be suspended, even if they are black. Maybe they should expand to Facebook and phone records. Maybe he proposes they do an audit to check if they are black or white? Seriously? This is getting out of control.

COMMON SENSE
Black guy to a friend who is a black guy - Hey n**ga whats up? OK
White guy to a group of black guys who are not friends - You n***rs suck!! NOT OK

Clambake
December 8th, 2011, 04:35 PM
so Leghigh Guy is demanding every player in the FCS and FBS gets their Twitter accounts audited and if they say the word ni**a they should be suspended, even if they are black. Maybe he proposes they do an audit to check if they are black or white? Seriously? This is getting out of control.

COMMON SENSE
Black guy to a friend who is a black guy - Hey n**ga whats up? OK
White guy to a group of black guys who are not friends - You n***as suck!! NOT OK

The ludicrousy of doing an audit to check if they are white or black is exactly the reason you have to apply the standard consistently, regardless of race. And once again, Spadola's tweet was not directed at Towson players -- it was a response TO HIS FRIEND about Towson players.

LehighGuy
December 8th, 2011, 04:36 PM
My only lament at this point, is why wait until Thursday? The team is already going to miss Spadola's presence, but now the team, not Spadola, is further penalized by not having some time to get the back up prepared to start, or time to change positions. Team leaves for Fargo tomorrow a.m. Since this was supposedly known either before or shortly after the Towson game, this could have been dealt with by Tuesday.

They knew earlier in the week when Lehigh98 made the original thread.

Thunderstruck
December 8th, 2011, 04:37 PM
The ludicrousy of doing an audit to check if they are white or black is exactly the reason you have to apply the standard consistently, regardless of race. And once again, Spadola's tweet was not directed at Towson players -- it was a response TO HIS FRIEND about Towson players.

Im confused. it was not directed towards them but was about them?

LehighGuy
December 8th, 2011, 04:37 PM

I love how no one takes into consideration that they are talking to a black man.

Engineer86
December 8th, 2011, 04:38 PM
If you say " this n*gg* is going to shut Spadola down" retweeting that and calling him the same word he called himself, should not be an issue. What hypocrisy!

Squealofthepig
December 8th, 2011, 04:38 PM
And once again, Spadola's tweet was not directed at Towson players -- it was a response TO HIS FRIEND about Towson players.

It was a tweet to his friend. And, it's not like your campaign of misinformation isn't hard to refute:

http://alexglaze.files.wordpress.com/2011/12/photo1.png

Engineer86
December 8th, 2011, 04:39 PM
Audit them all and make a statement about the use of the word, IF you are going to make a statement with one example! TOOLS!

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 8th, 2011, 04:40 PM
What I want to know is, if he referenced a 2Pac song or something along those lines would he be suspended? I'm part of the hip-hop generation, grew up in the 90's, and while i don't listen to rap much i still have an affinity for 2Pac, Biggie, NAS etc and DO sing along with the lyrics. Does that make me a racist?

bisonnation
December 8th, 2011, 04:41 PM
I love how no one takes into consideration that they are talking to a black man.

But obvioulsy being a Lehigh Fan takes precedence with you over being a black guy. If your not offended by a white guys comments why are you offended by black players comments?

Clambake
From my comment thread:

I wonder if Jim O'Day has read the tweets of the University of Montana Players. Specifically Houston Roots (@hollywood_roots) and Jabin Sambrano (@hellaboosty16). I assume those players will be playing this weekend against Northern Iowa.

Someone needs to e-mail links to those tweets to O'Day.

Squealofthepig
What I want to know is, if he referenced a Tupac song or something along those lines would he be suspended? I'm part of the hip-hop generation and while i don't listen to rap much i still have an affinity for Tupac, Biggie, NAS etc and DO sing along with lyrics. Does that make me a racist?

It's the taunting of the opposing team in conjunction with using the term that did him in (let them [Towson] n***** talk ****), not just a casual (!) use of the word.

gotts
Someone needs to e-mail links to those tweets to O'Day.

I'm sure LehighGuy already has...

BisonBacker
December 8th, 2011, 04:43 PM
You didn't say jack to them.

The best thing that can happen for NDSU is for you to lose your hands and vocal chords so you can't go off spewing any more garbage.

He needs a muzzle thats for sure.

NoDak 4 Ever
December 8th, 2011, 04:43 PM
It was a tweet to his friend. And, it's not like your campaign of misinformation isn't hard to refute:

This.

I think that it is stupid for us to argue what may have happened and what context it was in and why. The kid made a stupid reference using a dumb word that makes my skin crawl even when used by African Americans. As it stands he's a grown up, should know better and nobody has to put up with it.

The further fact is, while it still kind of shocks me that anybody uses that word it was not said in a vacuum and needs to be addressed. He was trying to be a dick when he said it. When you say it in a friendly manner it means something completely different than when you are trying to be a dick. You can't say "the tweet was intended to be an insult with the exception of THAT word".

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 8th, 2011, 04:44 PM
It's the taunting of the opposing team in conjunction with using the term that did him in (let them [Towson] n***** talk ****), not just a casual (!) use of the word.

My point is, if Spadola took a line from say 2Pac's "Hit 'em Up" which involves the "n" word and a threat would he have been suspended?

bisonnation
December 8th, 2011, 04:44 PM

I said from the beginning I didn't think he deserved to be suspended. I think it's inappropriate and unclassy to post every tweet of every player on a mesage board. Just a really crappy thing to do. NDSU didn't have anything to do with this. The player made his own bed. Now he needs to sleep in it.

Engineer86
December 8th, 2011, 04:45 PM

Again they should stop every game at halftime due to suspensions for taunting. More inconsistency

Squealofthepig
December 8th, 2011, 04:47 PM
My point is, if Spadola took a line from say 2Pac's "Hit 'em Up" which involves the "n" word and a threat would he have been suspended?

Absolutely not. I refer you to the words the NCAA themselves used, saying Spadola was suspended for:

"using an inappropriate and repugnant racial reference to describe Towson University student-athletes on his Twitter page"

That's from the official NCAA announcement. http://www.ncaa.org/wps/wcm/connect/public/ncaa/resources/latest+news/2011/december/public+reprimand+and+suspension+issued+to+lehigh+u niversity+football+student-athlete

I still don't think he should have been suspended, but we're really muddying the waters here in talking about general use of a word (which would not have gotten him suspended), and glossing over what really dinged him, that he directly used that term to refer to an opponent.

BisonBacker
I said from the beginning I didn't think he deserved to be suspended. I think it's inappropriate and unclassy to post every tweet of every player on a mesage board. Just a really crappy thing to do. NDSU didn't have anything to do with this. The player made his own bed. Now he needs to sleep in it.

Well said. This is now going to just get stupid ugly.

Squealofthepig
Again they should stop every game at halftime due to suspensions for taunting. More inconsistency

C'mon, that's another red herring. And again, I'm very much of the mind to let him play.

F'N Hawks
December 8th, 2011, 04:48 PM
I wish I would have known this before I put in the Over. Damn.

NDSUdonny
December 8th, 2011, 04:56 PM

Don't be a sore loser before the game even starts. In now way is this related whatsoever

Engineer86
December 8th, 2011, 05:09 PM
Don't be a sore loser before the game even starts. In now way is this related whatsoever

If the language is "repugnant" then it is repugnant, that should not change by who uses it. That said these PC a holes must have never heard "sticks and stones..."

NDSUdonny
December 8th, 2011, 05:13 PM
If the language is "repugnant" then it is repugnant, that should not change by who uses it. That said these PC a holes must have never heard "sticks and stones..."

It's not good language, but it didn't offend the person or people it was directed at.

Engineer86
December 8th, 2011, 05:18 PM
It's not good language, but it didn't offend the person or people it was directed at.

Do you really think what Spadola said offended any player on the Towson team. As we have seen it is language regularly used. So if offending is the threshold again it is off base. My total issue is be consistent. I don't think any of them should be suspended, but this singling out one guy is ridiculous. It would be if it were any team. It is too bad that this issue has become bigger than the game and taken away from the game.

Bison06
December 8th, 2011, 05:20 PM
One thing that hasn't been discussed to my knowledge is how awful his friend must feel? Man, if I got my buddy suspended for the biggest game of his career I would feel just awful.

HailSzczur
December 8th, 2011, 05:25 PM
One thing that hasn't been discussed to my knowledge is how awful his friend must feel? Man, if I got my buddy suspended for the biggest game of his career I would feel just awful.

I mean I can understand him being upset, but at the same time it was Spadola who posted it and he was the one who hit enter.

NDSUdonny
December 8th, 2011, 05:27 PM
Do you really think what Spadola said offended any player on the Towson team. As we have seen it is language regularly used. So if offending is the threshold again it is off base. My total issue is be consistent. I don't think any of them should be suspended, but this singling out one guy is ridiculous. It would be if it were any team. It is too bad that this issue has become bigger than the game and taken away from the game.

I don't think he deserves to be suspended either, I'm just saying why it happened.

Bison06
December 8th, 2011, 05:27 PM
Also, I know that NDSU students, although they are some of the more respectful of the student sections I have been around, will absolutely be doing chants this weekend about Lehigh being racists. College kids will be college kids, but from the little interaction I have had with Lehigh fans on this board all them save for one seem to be high character people. I am sure Lehigh is a proud institution that will not deserve the the light they will be portrayed in this weekend.

I hope the NDSU student section doesn't stoop to the level I think they will.

BisonLakes
December 8th, 2011, 05:28 PM

I'm guessing that in person you don't speak the way you do in your usual posts here, and that you're probably a decent personable guy (with perhaps a bit of a lead foot). A shame that you feel compelled to act like the classic internet tough guy here.

Bison06
December 8th, 2011, 05:28 PM
I mean I can understand him being upset, but at the same time it was Spadola who posted it and he was the one who hit enter.

That doesn't change the fact that without him sending the initial tweet none of this would have happened. He has to feel responsible, I know I would.

bisonnation
December 8th, 2011, 05:30 PM

It's not common for a white guy to call a black guy the n word. BEST CASE scenerio it would be acceptable if they are great buddies and have that type of relationship but clearly players form opposing teams are not friends. It's not different than if a white guy from team A drove by a team B bus and and yelled "Hey ni***s you suck!" to them. It's offensive and wrong.

Clambake
December 8th, 2011, 05:30 PM

He was in the FCS playoffs also -- player from Stonybrook. I don't know if the NCAA realizes that.

lehighfball
December 8th, 2011, 05:32 PM
Also, I know that NDSU students, although they are some of the more respectful of the student sections I have been around, will absolutely be doing chants this weekend about Lehigh being racists. College kids will be college kids, but from the little interaction I have had with Lehigh fans on this board all them save for one seem to be high character people. I am sure Lehigh is a proud institution that will not deserve the the light they will be portrayed in this weekend.

I've got faith that the NDSU students won't stoop to that level. They're smart enough to know better... BTW, Good Luck Saturday..

Bison06
December 8th, 2011, 05:35 PM
I've got faith that the NDSU students won't stoop to that level. They're smart enough to know better... BTW, Good Luck Saturday..

I appreciate your confidence in the NDSU student section, but I can almost guarantee there will be some pregame "ribbing" that involves the word racist. It's too easy for a college kid not to use as a way of getting under Lehigh's skin. I know if I was a Lehigh player and a member of an opposing team's student section said that, I would be pretty upset.

lehighfball
December 8th, 2011, 05:39 PM
I appreciate your confidence in the NDSU student section, but I can almost guarantee there will be some pregame "ribbing" that involves the word racist. It's too easy for a college kid not to use as a way of getting under Lehigh's skin. I know if I was a Lehigh player and a member of an opposing team's student section said that, I would be pretty upset.

I think the Lehigh players know Spadola is no racist, so if the NDSU student section wants to paint Spadola or the team as such, they are smart enough not to give a crap. I still have faith in your students; they're smart enough to know better.

FargoBison
December 8th, 2011, 05:42 PM

Coach Bohl did send this email out to the student body an hour ago...

Dear Students,

As we prepare for our game on Saturday, I wanted to take a couple of minutes to reach out to you, and thank you for your outstanding support throughout the year. I want you to know how important you are to making the Fargodome an outstanding atmosphere for competition. We appreciate your enthusiasm and good sportsmanship. You are helping bring positive recognition to NDSU from other fans and coaches from opposing teams.

I also want to reiterate the importance of your positive influence. There are some isolated instances of negative behavior by a few individuals. We are opposed to any forms of unsportsmanlike comments toward the opposing team or chanting negative phrases, such as anti-gay or racial chants. When this occurs, it hurts our team and our reputation, as well as the opposing players and fans. NDSU is welcoming to all people, in all situations. NCAA also has strict guidelines and penalties.

Thank you again for your outstanding support and enthusiasm. Our competitors envy the student support we enjoy. Working together to increase our sportsmanship will only enhance our success.

Craig Bohl

Bison06
December 8th, 2011, 05:44 PM
Coach Bohl did send this email out the student body an hour ago...

Glad to see Coach Bohl sent this preemptive email. I certainly hope our students take it to heart and respect our opponent this weekend as well as support the home squad by being as loud as possible.

TUTigers
December 8th, 2011, 05:45 PM
From a Towson perspective:

I think the punishment is a little harsh. Spadola made a HUGE idiotic mistake but if you are going to reprimand him you have to suspend other white guys who used the word. I'm assuming if Stony Brook was still in the playoffs, Matt Faeilla would be suspended as well. Technically the NCAA can reprimand players for using foul language as well. I see F-bombs all the time from players on twitter.

Here's hoping this will be a good warning to other idiot players who think they are invincible on the internet.

Lehigh'98
December 8th, 2011, 06:09 PM
It's unprecedented and a bit harsh considering that it is the biggest game of his life and possibly his last chance to play for a national title. Its also tough to gameplan and concentrate when there is a distraction such as this.

Lehigh'98
December 8th, 2011, 06:10 PM
I am also convinced if his friend had not used the word first, he would never have used it in his reply. Very painful lesson.

Gringer1
December 8th, 2011, 06:18 PM
People should not assume what his motivations were based on his skin color. Something said in private, possibly in an attempt to calm down somebody else and prevent any real racism, should not be held against a person because they are a certain ethnicity. Especially when the offensive language can mean a myriad of different things.

molly
December 8th, 2011, 06:22 PM

You don't think context matters when it comes to language, so I assume that you don't think the medium in which one uses language matters either.

For example, would you think it was acceptable for Spadola to tell a group of reporters, "I've been told that Towson players are talking *****. Let them niggas talk *****. Kids that talk *****, talk ***** because they suck on the field. It's going to be a long day for them."

If Spadola wouldn't be comfortable saying that in front of TV cameras or to newspaper reporters, why not? What's the difference between that and saying it in a tweet that's available for public consumption?

NDB
December 8th, 2011, 06:29 PM
People should not assume what his motivations were based on his skin color. Something said in private, possibly in an attempt to calm down somebody else and prevent any real racism, should not be held against a person because they are a certain ethnicity. Especially when the offensive language can mean a myriad of different things.

FALSE.

A person is responsible for a reasonable interpretation of what they say or write.

Gringer1
December 8th, 2011, 06:29 PM
Because he said it in a private tweet. The comments could be read as: his friend said "some of those players are ignorant and talkingg trash." Spadola replies "let ignorant people be ignorant. Don't worry about it and just play." Again, it all depends on what you assume a word with multiple definitions meant in a private context; something you cannot determine based simply on his skin color.

molly
December 8th, 2011, 06:33 PM
Hmm. If it was a private tweet, how did it become public? Just because you tweet @someone, doesn't make it private.

Gringer1
December 8th, 2011, 06:35 PM
Hmm. If it was a private tweet, how did it become public? Just because you tweet @someone, doesn't make it private.

He sent it where only his friend could see it. His friend then reposted it publicly.

NDB
December 8th, 2011, 06:36 PM
spadola's going to be learning a lot of lessons then - like be careful when picking friends...

Engineer86
December 8th, 2011, 06:39 PM
I agree the medium is a big issue. Not only college students but EVERYONE is learning to deal with that issue, but to decide this one guys use is the ONE that crosses the line seems really odd and a bad choice to me. Who is determining what context is ok and which is not. Who can say it and who can't. If you have one grandparent that is black are you ok to use it or not? Once you start making these choices, you will never have a clear call on this. That is the reason for the first amendment. One persons opinion for what is wrong is not the opinion of another and whose opinion matters more.

If Ryan were my son, I would first have a long talk with him about public comments. I would then look for a First Amendment attorney, but I am sure the NCAA has some sign off that give them the rights of god! The whole thing has been blown way out of proportion

UNHFootballAlum
December 8th, 2011, 06:42 PM
i hear a alot of discussion on this thread about whether or not he should be suspended and that it did not offend the Towson black players. None of us know whether they were offended by this language towards them. i would be curous to know how many of you in this discussion are black? i contend that unless you are, you cannot know how this word used in the way it was used and by whom it was used was upsetting to the black players on the team.

HailSzczur
December 8th, 2011, 06:48 PM
My biggest question is why did the NCAA do this instead of Lehigh? My knowledge on the subject isn't all that vast, but I can't recall the NCAA coming down like this and suspending a player for something of this nature. I've heard of them ruling in eligibility issues, improper benefits, things stemming from on the court issues, and run ins with the law, but not in a players personal life. Is there any precedent out there?

molly
December 8th, 2011, 06:48 PM
I didn't realize that it was his friend who made it public. That's definitely *****ty of his friend and further complicates the issue.

The 1st Amendment doesn't exist to allow you to say whatever you want without any consequences. It exists to prevent the government from arresting and jailing you for expressing your opinions. Private organizations and businesses frequently impose restrictions on what you can say. It's perfectly reasonable for them to do so, particularly in situations where the behavior and comments of their members or employees can reflect on the organization.

NDB
December 8th, 2011, 06:49 PM
It's ridiculous to think that there is consensus among blacks regarding the use of the term.

Let alone it's use by a white person. Let alone when it's being used to talk sh#t.

Squealofthepig
December 8th, 2011, 06:52 PM
Who is determining what context is ok and which is not.

The NCAA. It's not a question of context. Per the NCAA, he was suspended for "using an inappropriate and repugnant racial reference to describe Towson University student-athletes on his Twitter page".

I'm amazed at how many Lehigh fans are apparently OK with having their players call their opponents ******s.

NDB
December 8th, 2011, 06:52 PM
My biggest question is why did the NCAA do this instead of Lehigh? My knowledge on the subject isn't all that vast, but I can't recall the NCAA coming down like this and suspending a player for something of this nature. I've heard of them ruling in eligibility issues, improper benefits, things stemming from on the court issues, and run ins with the law, but not in a players personal life. Is there any precedent out there?

they control the playoffs. they can decide pretty much whatever they want once December hits.

The clearest precedence is their stand against the use of Native American imagery as leading to an environment at playoff games that are 'hostile and abusive'.

this flows closely from that. a student athlete says something racist about another team's players and BOOM - suspension.

eagle07
December 8th, 2011, 07:13 PM
http://thebizcoachblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/twitter_bird_angry.gif

Twitter, Making people regret things since 2006

Lehigh Football Nation
December 8th, 2011, 07:15 PM

There is no precedent.

The NCAA has no social media policy, and no other NCAA athletic participant has been banned from playing due to a post, Tweet, or whatever before.

http://lehighfootballnation.blogspot.com/2011/12/breaking-spadola-suspended-by-ncaa.html

PAllen
December 8th, 2011, 07:22 PM
Im confused. it was not directed towards them but was about them?

Yeah, like the difference between:

"I think the NCAA is a group of racist douchebags."

vs.

"NCAA, you are a group of racist douchebags."

Total BS all around, but nothing like selective, race based enforcement.

introvertedGSUfan
December 8th, 2011, 07:25 PM
This is absolutely amazing. Just issue a formal warning that if it happens again that a suspension will follow.

PAllen
December 8th, 2011, 07:25 PM
I didn't realize that it was his friend who made it public. That's definitely *****ty of his friend and further complicates the issue.

The 1st Amendment doesn't exist to allow you to say whatever you want without any consequences. It exists to prevent the government from arresting and jailing you for expressing your opinions. Private organizations and businesses frequently impose restrictions on what you can say. It's perfectly reasonable for them to do so, particularly in situations where the behavior and comments of their members or employees can reflect on the organization.

Ah, but the NCAA gains financial support from the government. They may not be jailing RS, but they are certainly restricting his liberty. The 1st amendment does apply, when sanctions are levied by a state government official who receives backing from the federal government.

Frankly, I am so sick of the race bating in this country. If it's OK for one race to do or say, then it's OK for all other races. Anything else is racism by definition.

LehighGuy
December 8th, 2011, 07:26 PM
The only hope now is that a major news outlet picks this up.

DJKyR0
December 8th, 2011, 07:31 PM
The only hope now is that a major news outlet picks this up.

I'm curious what your reason is, LehighGuy. Are you just frustrated that Lehigh loses one of their top playmakers? Are you trying to single-handedly solve "racism?" Are you on a one-man crusade to right the wrongs of the NCAA?

What do you "hope" to accomplish by making a spam-Twitter account and continuously dragging NDSU athletes through the mud on the way?

GSU Eagle
December 8th, 2011, 07:31 PM
When news of this leaked out several days I like many on here doubted the truth of it. Well it has proven true. I still am amazed that a suspension was handed out here. This opens a big can of worms. I guess we need a NCAA investigator to search through e-mails and tweets to see who else needs to be suspended.

I think this whole thing is total bulls@@@.

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 8th, 2011, 07:33 PM
I don't believe in anyway Spadola's comments are about race. As I said before, if he posted this, "Yo TU, Now you 'bout to feel the wrath of a menace ni***, I hit 'em up". Would he have been suspended?

I don't understand those that are trying to make it racial. Maybe i'm from a different generation but i've heard white dudes call white dudes it, black dudes call white dudes it, yes even white dudes callin black guys it socially. The term hasn't been exclusive to blacks in 25 years. Ever since Whitey invaded the gangsta rap concerts and sang along all bets were off. In fact, it created a whole new word, "wigger". Is that racist? Maybe Temple was just more racially tolerant than other places. I always take pride in our diversity.

Personally, I think he's suspended because he lied. I think it's his words rather than a misquote or retweet.

introvertedGSUfan
December 8th, 2011, 07:38 PM
Yeah I'm having a very hard time seeing this as being racist.

LakesBison
December 8th, 2011, 07:46 PM
Yeah I'm having a very hard time seeing this as being racist.

GOD DAM SOME OF YOU ARE F--- CLUELESS. HE CALLED TOWSON "NI__ " PERIOD, END OF STORY. GOD DAM.

introvertedGSUfan
December 8th, 2011, 07:47 PM
GOD DAM SOME OF YOU ARE F--- CLUELESS. HE CALLED TOWSON "NI__ " PERIOD, END OF STORY. GOD DAM.

Wow, just wow. Yes everything is completely black and white in this case and it isn't as others have mentioned that the meaning of the word has changed in the past 25 years or so.

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 8th, 2011, 07:49 PM

Exactly!! Which is why the word ni**a is not exclusive to black people! Whitey was well represented on Towson. It's not racist!!

GSU Eagle
December 8th, 2011, 07:55 PM
The NCAA never ceases to amaze me. What they have done here is open up a can of worms that will have FAR REACHING consequences. O.K. let's search tweets and e-mails and suspend anyone who has made a disparaging remark about women, Jews, homosexuals. Hell suspend them all. Total crap.

LakesBison
December 8th, 2011, 07:55 PM
god dam now YOU guys are the racists, congrats.

dont worry GSU fans that are afraid to play NDSU, you wont beat us either.

Engineer86
December 8th, 2011, 07:56 PM
The NCAA never ceases to amaze me. What they have done here is open up a can of worms that will have FAR REACHING consequences. O.K. let's search tweets and e-mails and suspend anyone who has made a disparaging remark about women, Jews, homosexuals. Hell suspend them all. Total crap.

Exactly, there is no way you can do this with just one player. Where do you draw the line?

Lehigh Football Nation
December 8th, 2011, 07:59 PM
http://www.thetowerlight.com/2011/12/personal-blogs-should-be-professional/

Wow.

Lehigh'98
I've said it jokingly to friends, including black friends. I guess its a different world now with social media. I doubt deep down anyone thinks he meant this as a racial slur.

introvertedGSUfan
god dam now YOU guys are the racists, congrats.

dont worry GSU fans that are afraid to play NDSU, you wont beat us either.

I give this a solid 7 out of 10 for trolling.

LehighGuy
December 8th, 2011, 08:00 PM
in b4 cleets accidently deletes the thread

heath
December 8th, 2011, 08:00 PM

are you a white bison or a black bison,or just an idiot? Maybe he just enjoys rap where the nig,bit*h,whor8 and four letter words are part of everyday vocabulary.The N word would vanish if the black community would stop using it!

LakesBison
December 8th, 2011, 08:01 PM
delete it, this idiot WR called a team of black players N--- case closed, lets move on/

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 8th, 2011, 08:03 PM
delete it, this idiot WR called a team of black players N--- case closed, lets move on/

"a team of black players"?

catbob
December 8th, 2011, 08:03 PM

Why don't you move on, and let the adults talk?

LehighLarry
December 8th, 2011, 08:07 PM
From Spadola...http://www.lehighvalleylive.com/lehigh/index.ssf/2011/12/lehigh_university_and_ryan_spa.html Cut the kid a break....

Earlier today, Spadola, who leads the team with 1,614 yards and 11 TDs on 96 receptions, was suspended by the NCAA for Saturday's Football Championship Subdivision quarterfinal game at North Dakota State due to an inappropriate message sent out on Twitter last week.

The All-American released the following:

"To my competitors, teammates and to everyone else who has seen the tweet I forwarded and was offended by my action, I humbly apologize and ask for your forgiveness of my unwise behavior.

At the time I received and forwarded the tweet, I didn't stop to think about how this could be offensive. In hindsight, I recognize that it was clearly inappropriate. I would never do anything to intentionally harm or berate others regardless of ethnicity. Everyone who knows me knows that to be true."

introvertedGSUfan
December 8th, 2011, 08:09 PM
From Spadola...http://www.lehighvalleylive.com/lehigh/index.ssf/2011/12/lehigh_university_and_ryan_spa.html Cut the kid a break....

Earlier today, Spadola, who leads the team with 1,614 yards and 11 TDs on 96 receptions, was suspended by the NCAA for Saturday's Football Championship Subdivision quarterfinal game at North Dakota State due to an inappropriate message sent out on Twitter last week.

"To my competitors, teammates and to everyone else who has seen the tweet I forwarded and was offended by my action, I humbly apologize and ask for your forgiveness of my unwise behavior.

At the time I received and forwarded the tweet, I didn't stop to think about how this could be offensive. In hindsight, I recognize that it was clearly inappropriate. I would never do anything to intentionally harm or berate others regardless of ethnicity. Everyone who knows me knows that to be true."

Honestly I feel like this should be enough. Give him a warning and just enforce the rule from here on out.

LakesBison
To my competitors, teammates and to everyone else who has seen the tweet I forwarded and was offended by my action <<< spagnola

HE TWEETED IT. no one can prove that he only "forwarded it" what a cop out.

GSU fans really coming to his aid, they are REALLY afraid of coming to the fargodome like the first time they backed out!!

Engineer86
are you a white bison or a black bison,or just an idiot? Maybe he just enjoys rap where the nig,bit*h,whor8 and four letter words are part of everyday vocabulary.The N word would vanish if the black community would stop using it!

Hey wait a minute this thread is only about holding one race accountable for what they say

introvertedGSUfan
December 8th, 2011, 08:11 PM
Some solid trolling you're doing Lakes.

GSU Eagle
December 8th, 2011, 08:11 PM
I am not afraid of GSU going to NDSU to play. It is not about that. What the NCAA has done here in my opinion is total bull****. This opens the door for suspending players for offensive treets regarding women, homosexuals, Jews, foreigners, etc. What they have done here is absolutely STUPID.

If Lehigh wanted to make a point about what the player tweeted let them do what they think is right, but I absolutely hate it that the NCAA has suspended this player.

Engineer86
December 8th, 2011, 08:14 PM
Honestly I feel like this should be enough. Give him a warning and just enforce the rule from here on out.

When I heard the suspension rumor yesterday after reading Coen's release, I thought he had to have done something again after being talked to for the rumor to be true. This hole thing is ridiculous. Only a complete idiot thinks it makes sense ... Yep that's you Lakes

LakesBison
December 8th, 2011, 08:18 PM
engineer... so you're fine with WHITE kids calling Towson players NI ___? cool for you.

Hammerhead
December 8th, 2011, 08:18 PM
Suspending him from the entire game seems very harsh.

LakesBison
December 8th, 2011, 08:25 PM
he should be suspended for the entire playoffs for calling a team "ni----"

BisonLakes
December 8th, 2011, 08:26 PM

You keep saying that - do you say that at home too?

LakesBison
December 8th, 2011, 08:28 PM
^^^ change this pricks name already. I DIDNT SAY IT SPAGNOLA DID in a TWEET on his TWITTER ACCOUNT

go away UNI troll

BisonLakes
December 8th, 2011, 08:34 PM
My name will remain the same, so get over it. And you seem to be confusing Ryan Spadola with John Spagnola, a tight end from Bethlehem, PA who used to play for the Eagles.

And I'm a Bison fan.

BisonLakes
December 8th, 2011, 08:35 PM
But you didn't answer my question - do you say that at home? What does your mother think about your language?

NoDak 4 Ever
December 8th, 2011, 08:37 PM
^^^ change this pricks name already. I DIDNT SAY IT SPAGNOLA DID in a TWEET on his TWITTER ACCOUNT

go away UNI troll

I'm pretty sure you will taste the banhammer before he has to change his name.

NDSUdonny
December 8th, 2011, 08:43 PM

I'm not saying he's a bad person, but the only thing he's sorry about is getting caught. He wouldn't be apologizing to anyone if nobody made a big deal about it.

BisonLakes
December 8th, 2011, 08:46 PM
I'm not saying he's a bad person, but the only thing he's sorry about is getting caught. He wouldn't be apologizing to anyone if nobody made a big deal about it.

I'm guessing he's in a world of hurt, confusion, anger, and grief right now. He didn't do anything his friends aren't already doing (it wasn't even his original tweet), but he's different and didn't quite figure that out. A dumb mistake (is he really racist? probably not), and now not only is he being vilified by ignorant strangers but he's now out of the game and possibly the reason Lehigh's out of the playoffs. His 1 tweet's caused an absolute avalanche of consequences that will far outlive the playoffs even if Lehigh advances.

Engineer86
December 8th, 2011, 08:49 PM

The problem with this is that there are many other tweets that are out there to be found. Now opponents can troll for them and point them out. Who decides what is acceptable and what is not? Oh yea, let's also throw in who can say it and who can't. How black does a player have to be for it to be ok to use the word. One grandparent, one parent, both parents being black? There is way too much here to be consistent, and you will never know all this.

Squealofthepig
December 8th, 2011, 08:53 PM
Who decides what is acceptable and what is not?

Jesus Christ on a pogo stick, you guys keep asking this, and I keep pointing it out. It's the NCAA - and it's not just about the use of the word, it's about how it's used.

The NCAA suspended Spadola for "using an inappropriate and repugnant racial reference to describe Towson University student-athletes on his Twitter page". If you look through this thread, you can find his captured tweet where he calls his OPPONENTS N*****S.

Y'all keep trying to make this about the use of this word. It's not. It's about him calling Towson a bunch of ******s. So you're either defending his right to say that, or you're throwing up a huge red herring of an argument of a wholly separate issue.

MTfan4life
December 8th, 2011, 08:55 PM
He didn't do anything his friends aren't already doing (it wasn't even his original tweet),

Where in here is this not his words? There are no quote marks. This wasn't a retweet. I keep hearing that these are not his original words. Where is the proof of that?

Engineer86
December 8th, 2011, 08:57 PM
And they are splitting hairs on what is not ok and what is!

Squealofthepig
December 8th, 2011, 09:01 PM
And they are splitting hairs on what is not ok and what is!

Yes, using a word in a friendly way vs. using the N-Bomb to denigrate the ENTIRE OPPONENT'S TEAM is splitting hairs. By that logic, also splitting hairs: Parking and DEMOLITION DERBY! WOO!

BisonBohl
December 8th, 2011, 09:03 PM

Lakes, just STFU...we know how you feel...leave it at that.

NoDak 4 Ever
December 8th, 2011, 09:05 PM
Yes, using a word in a friendly way vs. using the N-Bomb to denigrate the ENTIRE OPPONENT'S TEAM is splitting hairs. By that logic, also splitting hairs: Parking and DEMOLITION DERBY! WOO!

THIS

Also, this whole affair has definitely devolved into a Lehigh fans desperately trying to justify Spadola's behavior and demonizing Towson/NDSU/NCAA for this whole thing. Stop it, it is unproductive.

http://wonkette.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/06/racialtranscend1.gif

Engineer86
December 8th, 2011, 09:06 PM

Sorry, given the way the word is thrown around in some circles I fail to see the hate in his words. One group can say it and one can't? Again I have never bought that. What is the acceptable pigment tone to be able to talk like that? In will wait for the NCAA to tell me, cause I have no idea.

FargoBison
December 8th, 2011, 09:08 PM
Nobody said that he can't use the word...he wasn't suspended for saying the word he was suspended for how he used it.

Engineer86
December 8th, 2011, 09:10 PM
Nobody said that he can't use the word...he wasn't suspended for saying the word he was suspended for how he used it.

And how he used the word is interpreted differently because of his race. Otherwise it is just considered a generalization.

Neighbor2
December 8th, 2011, 09:12 PM
Well, let's see. Will all the black players on Lehigh's team chastise Spadola and lay down, or will they see him as a victim? I'm thinking they see this as a STUPID NCAA decision in effort to be politically correct. I'm thinking they will play ABOVE themselves Saturday and neutralize this nonsense.

Squealofthepig
December 8th, 2011, 09:13 PM
Sorry, given the way the word is thrown around in some circles I fail to see the hate in his words. One group can say it and one can't? Again I have never bought that. What is the acceptable pigment tone to be able to talk like that? In will wait for the NCAA to tell me, cause I have no idea.

That's a fair point. The takeaway here is, don't direct it at your opponent.

Franks Tanks
December 8th, 2011, 09:13 PM
May I point out again that he was suspended for taunting an opponent via social media, and not just for using a word on twitter. At the start of the season I recall that a Monmouth fan casually mentioned that Spadola was talking smack on facebook so it appears he has done this before.

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?91487-MONMOUTH-WILL-BEAT-LEHIGH!!!&highlight=Lehigh+Monmouth

Post 3

It was not simply the word, but rather taunting via social media.

Squealofthepig
December 8th, 2011, 09:14 PM
Well, let's see. Will all the black players on Lehigh's team chastise Spadola and lay down, or will they see him as a victim? I'm thinking they see this as a STUPID NCAA decision in effort to be politically correct. I'm thinking they will play ABOVE themselves Saturday and neutralize this nonsense.

I hope so. It's a bad blot on what should be a really, really good game and I hope both NDSU and Lehigh bring their A game and have one helluva playoff game for the ages.

Engineer86
December 8th, 2011, 09:17 PM
Response to #161

Agreed, Ryan should be smarter. And I found the Towson fans to be classy last week. I am upset with the system, no team. I do think it is a shame, cause it has to have some impact on the game. Change the outcome who knows, doubtful. But look at all the time discussing this. It certainly spoils the game a little for me

Engineer86
December 8th, 2011, 09:22 PM
May I point out again that he was suspended for taunting an opponent via social media, and not just for using a word

It was not simply the word, but rather taunting via social media.

Ok, but is this the only case of that? No one else in the NCAA does it?? doubtful. The NCAA did not mention the previous occurrence.

It seems like a bit harsh either way, when everything else that occurs is considered.

LehighU11
December 8th, 2011, 09:23 PM
I'm pulling for UNI to obliterate O'Day's Griz. That a** hat let his players, Johnson and Kemp, play after hitting a cop. Also, multiple players have tweeted the same word. NCAA hypocrisy at its finest xmadx

MTfan4life
December 8th, 2011, 09:29 PM
I'm pulling for UNI to obliterate O'Day's Griz. That a** hat let his players, Johnson and Kemp, play after hitting a cop. Also, multiple players have tweeted the same word. NCAA hypocrisy at its finest xmadx

Innocent until proven guilty. Were you there at the party that night? Did you see them hit that cop? Did you see the force that was used? Ryan Spadola on the other hand has admitted to this twitter comment.

Franks Tanks
December 8th, 2011, 09:32 PM

We all know the NCAA does not get involved with issues actually in the law enforcement system. Get a DUI no problem, but let a booster buy you a pizza and you and the school are screwed.

Again te NCAA's position was the taunt, and not just the word. Please understand this point.

LehighU11
December 8th, 2011, 09:34 PM
From the story, it sounds pretty legitimate. I don't condone Spadola's behavior, but you can't deny how much of a hypocrite this makes O'Day appear

"Missoula City Police tased and arrested senior cornerback Trumaine Johnson and junior quarterback Gerald Kemp early Sunday Morning.
Sgt. Colin Rose says police responded to the 1100 block of Russell at around 2:40 am, for a loud party complaint. Officers say they asked attendees to quiet down, but that the people were un-compliant.
Rose says one of the players struck an officer in the chest, and then both players started grabbing the officers. When officers tried to arrest Johnson and Kemp, they resisted and were tased."

Continued (http://www.nbcmontana.com/print/29564335/detail.html)

NDB
December 8th, 2011, 09:37 PM
I don't think that we need to air everyone's dirty laundry.

LehighU11
December 8th, 2011, 09:37 PM
Again te NCAA's position was the taunt, and not just the word. Please understand this point.

From the NCAA press release, it appears pretty clear that the suspension for a racial slur. No mention of taunting as reason for the suspension. I understand that the tweet with the slur was an act of taunting, but the NCAA doesn't say that he's suspended for "taunting."

Engineer86
December 8th, 2011, 09:38 PM
We all know the NCAA does not get involved with issues actually in the law enforcement system. Get a DUI no problem, but let a booster buy you a pizza and you and the school are screwed.

Again, Ryan Spadola is the only player in the NCAA that has used Facebook or Twitter to taunt? I find that extremely hard to believe. Talk about opening pandora's box. I think the word had to be a consideration, but that is a whole other can of worms

LehighU11
December 8th, 2011, 09:38 PM
I don't think that we need to air everyone's dirty laundry.

I could care less about NDSU, UNI, GSU, SHSU, etc. However, the fact is that NCAA official and Montana AD O'Day is practicing a double standard.

Franks Tanks
December 8th, 2011, 09:41 PM
Again, Ryan Spadola is the only player in the NCAA that has used Facebook or Twitter to taunt? I find that extremely hard to believe. Talk about opening pandora's box. I think the word had to be a consideration, but that is a whole other can of worms

I am not defending the NCAA, but from the beginning I was under the impression that he broke a rule regarding social media. If that is not the case I stand corrected.

TwoFeathers
December 8th, 2011, 09:42 PM
Was pulling for Lehigh. Not sure if he should of been suspended, but what he did is inexcusable and just plain stupid. Now he put his team at risk after the biggest win in recent Lehigh history. Dummy gets what he deserves.

LehighU11
December 8th, 2011, 09:42 PM

Just looking at some Towson player's Twitter accounts, one CB tweeted "got a date with #8," referring to Spadola. Isn't this a form of taunting, though VERY mild? Suspending players for taunting on the field is one thing, but online? That will just create an unlimited amount of headaches. How can one determine what level of taunting is acceptable and what crosses the line?

LehighU11
December 8th, 2011, 09:43 PM
Was pulling for Lehigh. Not sure if he should of been suspended, but what he did is inexcusable and just plain stupid. Now he put his team at risk after the biggest win in recent Lehigh history. Dummy gets what he deserves.

Technically before the biggest win in recent history. That's what irks so many Towson people,-that no action was taken in advance. The lead in question at the post-game press conference was regarding the tweet.

MTfan4life
December 8th, 2011, 09:43 PM
From the story, it sounds pretty legitimate. I don't condone Spadola's behavior, but you can't deny how much of a hypocrite this makes O'Day appear

"Missoula City Police tased and arrested senior cornerback Trumaine Johnson and junior quarterback Gerald Kemp early Sunday Morning.
Sgt. Colin Rose says police responded to the 1100 block of Russell at around 2:40 am, for a loud party complaint. Officers say they asked attendees to quiet down, but that the people were un-compliant.
Rose says one of the players struck an officer in the chest, and then both players started grabbing the officers. When officers tried to arrest Johnson and Kemp, they resisted and were tased."

Continued (http://www.nbcmontana.com/print/29564335/detail.html)

Yes, because ALL journalistic reporting about crime is always fully factual! Especially when it is involving quotes from only the policemen's side of things. You're right.... That is one article out of many. In the first few articles, it looked like they were guilty, but once the word got out from both sides, that story really quieted down over there. Maybe research into things a little bit next time.

LehighU11
December 8th, 2011, 09:44 PM
I am not defending the NCAA, but from the beginning I was under the impression that he broke a rule regarding social media. If that is not the case I stand corrected.
There is no official rule/guideline governing social media usage for NCAA athletes. Coaches can't use it for recruiting, however. Just like how they are limited with phone calls and texts.

FargoBison
December 8th, 2011, 09:45 PM
O'Day definitely didn't make this decision by himself....I'm sure he had the help of the rest of the committee.

McNeese75
December 8th, 2011, 09:45 PM
NCAA is full of Crap on this one.

TwoFeathers
December 8th, 2011, 09:47 PM
Technically before the biggest win in recent history. That's what irks so many Towson people,-that no action was taken in advance. The lead in question at the post-game press conference was regarding the tweet.

I guess he thought he's the only one using twitter???? Just stupid.

LehighU11
December 8th, 2011, 09:47 PM
Yes, because ALL journalistic reporting about crime is always fully factual! Especially when it is involving quotes from only the policemen's side of things. You're right.... That is one article out of many. In the first few articles, it looked like they were guilty, but once the word got out from both sides, that story really quieted down over there. Maybe research into things a little bit next time.

Perhaps a settlement was made with the police department. Don't the Griz rule all in Missoula?

NDB
December 8th, 2011, 09:48 PM
Don't the Griz rule all in Missoula?

except for when the bison are in town.

Squealofthepig
December 8th, 2011, 09:50 PM
There is no official rule/guideline governing social media usage for NCAA athletes. Coaches can't use it for recruiting, however. Just like how they are limited with phone calls and texts.

So you agree that all Towson football players are just, lessee, what's the quote, oh yes, "niggas that just talk **** because they suck on the field"?

MTfan4life
December 8th, 2011, 09:52 PM
O'Day definitely didn't make this decision by himself....I'm sure he had the help of the rest of the committee.

O'Day is simply the man who spoke to the media. A fair amount of Lehigh users will be in a witch hunt for a good few weeks now though. They're becoming the TMZ of AnyGivenSaturday.

Squealofthepig
December 8th, 2011, 09:52 PM
I guess he thought he's the only one using twitter???? Just stupid.

Exactly, and I can't believe he was completely oblivious to the Elon football player's twitter meltdown.

Squealofthepig
December 8th, 2011, 09:53 PM
except for when the bison are in town.

+1 for getting in some good smack in a thread that needs some levity!

MTfan4life
December 8th, 2011, 09:53 PM
Perhaps a settlement was made with the police department. Don't the Griz rule all in Missoula?

Nope, the student-athletes are to appear in court in early 2012 actually.

penguinpower
December 8th, 2011, 09:54 PM
Exactly, and I can't believe he was completely oblivious to the Elon football player's twitter meltdown.

Kids are kids. Twitter meltdowns can be expected right?

FargoBison
December 8th, 2011, 09:57 PM

A few years ago a player was kicked off Texas's team because he posted a racial joke about President Obama on facebook. Of course it was Texas that suspended him and not the NCAA but still players should know better.

FargoBison
December 8th, 2011, 09:57 PM
O'Day is simply the man who spoke to the media. A fair amount of Lehigh users will be in a witch hunt for a good few weeks now though. They're becoming the TMZ of AnyGivenSaturday.

Yep... http://twitter.com/#!/NCAA_Fairness

MTfan4life
December 8th, 2011, 10:01 PM
Kids are kids. Twitter meltdowns can be expected right?

At what age does someone stop being a kid? I felt pretty informed about life before I left high school, and I was from a sheltered extremely small town. Why do we keep calling this 20/21 year old college athlete a kid? College athletes are well exposed to the world around them. They are no longer kids once they enter college.

LehighLarry
December 8th, 2011, 10:07 PM
So you agree that all Towson football players are just, lessee, what's the quote, oh yes, "niggas that just talk **** because they suck on the field"?

Repugnant, yes. Excuses for Spadola's actions no....But you have to look at it in the context of the original tweet from his high school teammate at Stony Brook.

Spadola did not tweet this out sitting at his desk with the intention of it being directed at Towson players. He received a private tweet from a former high school teammate at Stony Brook saying essentially (and I'm not quoting since the 20 page spread got deleted, but it was up there) "niggas at Towson talking ****" and he responded with his tweet that is the focus of all of this.

Both were private tweets between two former high school teammates. As is always the danger of social media and e-mail, someone forwarded the private message to someone else and the firestorm erupted.

I am in no way condoning what Spadola did. It was exceedingly stupid. However, it was not malicious and certainly not a direct racist remark meant to harm or disparage anyone. And he has apologized, is likely torn up by his actions, and his team has to play a football game on Saturday without him. He will be reluctantly remember and be remorseful of this moment for the rest of his life. Cut the guy a damn break.

Professor Chaos
December 8th, 2011, 10:12 PM
Yep... http://twitter.com/#!/NCAA_Fairness
Gee... I wonder who that could be. xnonono2x

Obviously someone who lacks the intelligence to realize that @ESPN and @CBSSports don't give a rat's *** what players from NDSU and Montana tweeted 8 months ago. Perhaps this tool shed should direct his witch hunt towards somewhere that the sports news outlets actually care about (LSU, Bama, Oregon).

I hope you feel better about yourself now LehighGuy... keep it up. Maybe you'll get an honorary invite into the morality police soon.

Btw, thanks for tweeting our local media guys here in Fargo, I'm sure they'll get right on carrying out your moral agenda.

LehighGuy
December 8th, 2011, 10:34 PM
Gee... I wonder who that could be. xnonono2x

Obviously someone who lacks the intelligence to realize that @ESPN and @CBSSports don't give a rat's *** what players from NDSU and Montana tweeted 8 months ago. Perhaps this tool shed should direct his witch hunt towards somewhere that the sports news outlets actually care about (LSU, Bama, Oregon).

I hope you feel better about yourself now LehighGuy... keep it up. Maybe you'll get an honorary invite into the morality police soon.

Btw, thanks for tweeting our local media guys here in Fargo, I'm sure they'll get right on carrying out your moral agenda.

Wow! First, no one believes me about anything! Now, everyone thinks I am the Great Oz!

BlueHenSinfonian
December 8th, 2011, 10:40 PM
Personally, I think the NCAA was overreaching in suspending Spadola. As has been shown in other twitter screen-grabs plenty of other players are using the language that Spadola was penalized for, and in some cases using it to refer to their competition in disparaging ways. While the practical reality may be that the word has different connotations coming from a white person than a black person, I don't think the NCAA should be taking action that's a de facto endorsement of 'it's OK to use this word if you are of one race, not OK if you are of another'.

However, I feel that it should never have come to the point of having to be an NCAA decision. Lehigh should have taken action against Spadola for his poor judgement that put the school in a bad light. Players are representatives of the school, and making public comments that hurt the reputation of the institution they represent should not be tolerated. I'd assume that most FCS teams have player behavior contracts and scholarship stipulations that have some sort of ethics or morality clause. Lehigh is a well respected educational institution, and Spadola's comment, both in terms of the vocabulary he chose as well as the overall grammar and tone of the message, did not reflect the values of Lehigh as a school.

The world today is very different than it was even ten years ago when it comes to issues of privacy and the speed at which information travels. If you don't want the world to know you've said something, don't say it online. If it isn't something you'd say in person in uniform to a camera crew on the sidelines, don't say it on a twitter account that is associated with your role as a member of a team and a representative of your school.

LehighGuy
December 8th, 2011, 10:47 PM
Personally, I think the NCAA was overreaching in suspending Spadola. As has been shown in other twitter screen-grabs plenty of other players are using the language that Spadola was penalized for, and in some cases using it to refer to their competition in disparaging ways. While the practical reality may be that the word has different connotations coming from a white person than a black person, I don't think the NCAA should be taking action that's a de facto endorsement of 'it's OK to use this word if you are of one race, not OK if you are of another'.

However, I feel that it should never have come to the point of having to be an NCAA decision. Lehigh should have taken action against Spadola for his poor judgement that put the school in a bad light. Players are representatives of the school, and making public comments that hurt the reputation of the institution they represent should not be tolerated. I'd assume that most FCS teams have player behavior contracts and scholarship stipulations that have some sort of ethics or morality clause. Lehigh is a well respected educational institution, and Spadola's comment, both in terms of the vocabulary he chose as well as the overall grammar and tone of the message, did not reflect the values of Lehigh as a school.

The world today is very different than it was even ten years ago when it comes to issues of privacy and the speed at which information travels. If you don't want the world to know you've said something, don't say it online. If it isn't something you'd say in person in uniform to a camera crew on the sidelines, don't say it on a twitter account that is associated with your role as a member of a team and a representative of your school.

A rational and astute opinion from a Hen's fan. Now I'm really torn...

MR. CHICKEN
December 8th, 2011, 10:51 PM
I rational and astute opinion from a Hen's fan. Now I'm really torn...

16311.....HOPE DUH SKIN CONDITION.....HAS CLEARED UP......;)....BRAWK!

LakesBison
December 8th, 2011, 11:22 PM
lehighguy please come to fargo, so we can see what a moron looks like.

NDSU had thier 2 of their top 3 wide receivers OUT FOR THE WHOLE SEASON ZACH VRAA, TREVOR GEBHARDT (with big TEX)

NDSU won 11 games without those 2 guys, you didnt hear us whining.

HailSzczur
December 8th, 2011, 11:28 PM

NDSU had thier 2 of their top 3 wide receivers OUT FOR THE WHOLE SEASON ZACH VRAA, TREVOR GEBHARDT (with big TEX)

Lakes, again I say you're comparing apples to oranges. I know Vraa at least went down with an injury. He's not standing on the sidelines physically ready to play like Spadola will be. He wasn't told by a party other than the Lehigh coaching staff he's not playing. You've played all season without him, its not like you have to adjust and be ready to play a top 5 team without him with only afew days to acclimate. Let them whine. Shut the whinners up on the field, plain and simple.

LakesBison
December 8th, 2011, 11:31 PM
once again, he wrote it, he got suspended. looks like he injured himself.

gsu6trophies
December 8th, 2011, 11:35 PM
It is a different world. The guy getting suspended ain't a shocker, but I do question how the NCAA feels like they are qualified to judge the difference between RS' tweet and the probably thousands of other NCAA athletes that have used that language on social media sites. Who decides who can say what? I understand the taunting thing. Would it have been different if he used a non race related derogatory term? i.e. A gsu player calling app player a hillbilly? Some white kids are well into hip hop and use the language that is deemed appropriate by that culture. Should this kid have known the difference? He should have known it was not politically incorrect, but morally? I mean if he lives in a culture where this is accepted, would he know the difference? I teach college kids in NJ. Things are different. Personally, the word in any context or modification should be abandoned to history.

HailSzczur
December 8th, 2011, 11:44 PM
once again, he wrote it, he got suspended. looks like he injured himself.

I have to agree with you there. You bring up a really good point. However I still think that theres a bit of a difference between this "injury", off the field, at the end of the season, and on short notice as compared to an injury as sustained actually playing the game of football, before or at the beginning of the season. Just my opinion there.

BisonBacker
December 8th, 2011, 11:55 PM

Look in the Mirror

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 9th, 2011, 12:16 AM
Here's a good read from Lehigh's local paper.

http://www.mcall.com/sports/college/lehigh/mc-lehigh-1208-20111208,0,7062806.story

NDB
December 9th, 2011, 12:19 AM
this.

we can close the thread now.

BisonLakes
December 9th, 2011, 12:21 AM
Here's a good read from Lehigh's local paper.

http://www.mcall.com/sports/college/lehigh/mc-lehigh-1208-20111208,0,7062806.story

Good article, particularly this passage:

There's no doubt that Spadola made a mistake.

There's also no doubt that we live in highly sensitive times when context, perspective and common sense are quickly tossed aside in the name of political correctness.

Having talked to Spadola several times, I have found him to be one of the brightest, smartest kids on a team full of bright, smart kids. Remember, he's a regional academic honoree and a member of the Patriot League's all-academic team.

He's a young man who had to grow up in a hurry after losing his father at a young age and he has grown up with poise and compassion being two major components in his life.

He is not a racist. He would not thrive on such a racially-diverse squad as Lehigh's football team if he was.

Spadola is a good kid who just got caught up in some of the pregame smack talk that goes on at all levels of football.

He may have also unwisely thought that he would not be held responsible for merely re-tweeting someone else's words.

In his apology issued on Thursday, Spadola said: "At the time I received and forwarded the tweet, I didn't stop to think about how this could be offensive."

However, as coach Andy Coen said in a statement earlier this week: "When he re-used the words, he made them his."

seantaylor
December 9th, 2011, 03:25 AM
Spadola is a true guinea.

NoDak 4 Ever
December 9th, 2011, 06:43 AM
Good article, particularly this passage:

BS, why is it that thoughtfulness is considered "sensitivity" and just flat out not being a dick is referred to as "political correctness"? I'm tired of all of that being referred to so pejoratively.

LeadBolt
December 9th, 2011, 06:46 AM
Occupy the NCAA, Free Spadola!

RichH2
December 9th, 2011, 08:17 AM
Boy human nature just loves car crashes with dangling body parts. No doubt Ryan made idiotic mistake to get involved in pregame taunting.Besides learning the error of repeating slurs , he has also learned that you cant make yourself vulnerable to powers that have the sole purpose of protecting and enhancing their own image . The NCAA showing the same lack of thought has decided to make him an example. Whether I agree or disagree with the suspension is irrelevant as, unless he goes to Court, it is an accomplished fact. Very sad and unfair situation for Lehigh and Ryan. For Ryan, this stigma will be with him for a long time pretty much every time his name appears in the news. For Lehigh,it has made a very difficult task virtually impossible. LU now w/o best wr and best rb. A one dimensional Chris Lum offense will be hard pressed against NDSU.

I cannot condone Ryan's lack of judgment but I find it very difficult to reconcile his punishment with the lack of any NCAA action in so many other more serious cases.

ONe thing I do wonder. Has anything happened to the Towson player who used the phrase repeated by Spadola?

NoDak 4 Ever
December 9th, 2011, 08:23 AM
Boy human nature just loves car crashes with dangling body parts. No doubt Ryan made idiotic mistake to get involved in pregame taunting.Besides learning the error of repeating slurs , he has also learned that you cant make yourself vulnerable to powers that have the sole purpose of protecting and enhancing their own image . The NCAA showing the same lack of thought has decided to make him an example. Whether I agree or disagree with the suspension is irrelevant as, unless he goes to Court, it is an accomplished fact. Very sad and unfair situation for Lehigh and Ryan. For Ryan, this stigma will be with him for a long time pretty much every time his name appears in the news. For Lehigh,it has made a very difficult task virtually impossible. LU now w/o best wr and best rb. A one dimensional Chris Lum offense will be hard pressed against NDSU.

I cannot condone Ryan's lack of judgment but I find it very difficult to reconcile his punishment with the lack of any NCAA action in so many other more serious cases.

ONe thing I do wonder. Has anything happened to the Towson player who used the phrase repeated by Spadola?

From the Forum of Fargo-Moorhead article on the suspension: "Lehigh Dean of Athletics Murray H. Goodman said in a school statement that the suspension serves as a learning experience and that it’s a “clear message” it’s not acceptable behavior."

In other words, nobody is whining about it except the fans.

RichH2
December 9th, 2011, 08:38 AM
From the Forum of Fargo-Moorhead article on the suspension: "Lehigh Dean of Athletics Murray H. Goodman said in a school statement that the suspension serves as a learning experience and that it’s a “clear message” it’s not acceptable behavior."

In other words, nobody is whining about it except the fans.

Perhaps so, the AD is Dean Sterrett ,Goodman is the name of the athletic campus.

My son just finished showing me 30 or so tweets between players using the same and worse language . Many different schools,including FCS playoff teams. My point is if you are going to start a new rule as to twitter , should put the rule out before enforcing it and if you are going to enforce it it s/b enforced against all of the players not just one sacrificial lamb

gotts
December 9th, 2011, 08:42 AM
Perhaps so, the AD is Dean Sterrett ,Goodman is the name of the athletic campus.

My son just finished showing me 30 or so tweets between players using the same and worse language . Many different schools,including FCS playoff teams. My point is if you are going to start a new rule as to twitter , should put the rule out before enforcing it and if you are going to enforce it it s/b enforced against all of the players not just one sacrificial lamb

Am I missing something here?

Yes, we know there are countless other examples of said language being used, that's not the question. The question is, how many of these examples that you find are directed towards the opponent? I am under the impression that's it's not the questionable word use alone that "warranted" the suspension, but it was a contributing factor in the scheme of things.

I disagree with the suspension, the NCAA is foolish for choosing this instance to take a stand on this "issue." I would have no problem if they would have said something about it, issued a warning, and revised their social media policy with regard to sportsmanship after the season.

NoDak 4 Ever
December 9th, 2011, 08:43 AM

Whoever, the issue is that the school administration is using this as a learning experience. They are not conducting a witch hunt digging through the Twitter histories of FCS players in an attempt to mitigate the behavior. They are moving on.

Houndawg
December 9th, 2011, 08:49 AM

Oh please. SIU's backup QB nearly beat them in his first ever start - and he didn't do anything.

Look, NDSU is a very good team featuring an excellent defense and a very average offense. The key to this game isn't Spadola or the RB, the key to this game for Lehigh is stopping the run. You could stop it and still not win, a la SIU, but if you don't stop it you won't win, and the front of your jerseys will be full of cleat marks. Stop the run and you can win with 20 pts.

THE HERD
December 9th, 2011, 08:54 AM
Let the guy play.....they weren't even his words. The NCAA blows!

LakesBison
December 9th, 2011, 08:57 AM
HERD. he sent it from his twitter. He knew what it said. end this story already,

RichH2
December 9th, 2011, 08:58 AM
Am I missing something here?

Yes, we know there are countless other examples of said language being used, that's not the question. The question is, how many of these examples that you find are directed towards the opponent? I am under the impression that's it's not the questionable word use alone that "warranted" the suspension, but it was a contributing factor in the scheme of things.

I disagree with the suspension, the NCAA is foolish for choosing this instance to take a stand on this "issue." I would have no problem if they would have said something about it, issued a warning, and revised their social media policy with regard to sportsmanship after the season.

That would seem to have been the proper approach but lets not forget NCAA's main concern is their own *ss not some random kid

gotts
December 9th, 2011, 09:02 AM
That would seem to have been the proper approach but lets not forget NCAA's main concern is their own *ss not some random kid

1. Is the NCAA affecting RS in terms of academics or class schedule? That's the first priority as a student athlete.

2. Do you really blame the NCAA for looking out for their best interests?

RichH2
December 9th, 2011, 09:08 AM
1. Is the NCAA affecting RS in terms of academics or class schedule? That's the first priority as a student athlete.

2. Do you really blame the NCAA for looking out for their best interests?

No ,I expect them to do so. My point is that if you are going to start punishing student athletes for social media language, it is unfair to do so without first clearing delineating the proscriptions and possible consequences. Spadola is the very 1st player punished for this behavior.

As to #1, you are implying that any punishment that does not impact academics or schedule is OK. I suggest you think that one through. Moreover, it does not negate the impotance of the athlete component as we are talking about football games not physics classes

BisonBacker
December 9th, 2011, 09:13 AM
No ,I expect them to do so. My point is that if you are going to start punishing student athletes for social media language, it is unfair to do so without first clearing delineating the proscriptions and possible consequences. Spadola is the very 1st player punished for this behavior.

Student athletes are told from day one about expectations and how they are representatives of the universities they attend. Common sense goes a long way in life if one chooses to utilize it problem is in today's society many do not. I worked with a gal years ago who made a comment I hadn't heard before but have used many times since. Common sense isn't so common anymore. Truer words were never spoke.

LehighGuy

This is where I have the biggest complaint. Even if RS's actions are DEPLORABLE, how is the playoffs the time or place to stake stand? Address the issue in a manner consistent with precedent. If there is no precedent, do the least controversial thing and re-evaluate your policies in the off-season.

BisonLakes

That's the key - implementing an ad-hoc punishment for anything other than some egregious new offense (like taking a baseball bat to an opponent's knees) is never a good idea, especially in the playoffs. And it's not like any reasonably intelligent individual couldn't see this coming a mile away and write up a social media policy, basically pointing out that verbal trash talk is one thing, publishing it is something else entirely and potentially worthy of sanction. But they didn't.

LakesBison
December 9th, 2011, 09:15 AM
BISONLAKES QUIT POSTING YOU UNI TROLL!

BisonLakes
December 9th, 2011, 09:16 AM
No. I'm too far into your head.

MTfan4life
December 9th, 2011, 09:17 AM
Spadola is the very 1st player punished for this behavior.

People keep bringing it up that he's the first person to get punished for this. How else does punishment start? There always has to be a first. Precedent doesn't just randomly start. There's always going to be a first person that a specific action affects. Just because you're the first person to commit a wrongdoing, it doesn't mean you should get let off the hook. If so, then the next time something happened, that person would be the first.

LakesBison
December 9th, 2011, 09:17 AM
Your a douchebage like spadola

BisonLakes
December 9th, 2011, 09:19 AM
At least you're getting the name right now - see, you can change!

RichH2
December 9th, 2011, 09:20 AM
Student athletes are told from day one about expectations and how they are representatives of the universities they attend. Common sense goes a long way in life if one chooses to utilize it problem is in today's society many do not. I worked with a gal years ago who made a comment I hadn't heard before but have used many times since. Common sense isn't so common anymore. Truer words were never spoke.

Dont disagree nor do I condone Spadola's repeating the phrase , but a lack of common sense or a lapse in judgment does not warrant punishment in and of itself unless it has been made clear to everyone what type of behavior is prohibited and what the possible consequences are. US Constitution provides "due process of law" and equal protection under the law for all of us. It would seem the NCAA should do the same

Pard4Life
December 9th, 2011, 09:22 AM
This is crazy... these kids are absolutely confused today. When you grow up in a culture listening to rap music, hearing people call each other said word on TV and elsewhere, how do you not come to believe that the word is acceptable??? The word is thrown around so much in such a buddy-buddy context it means nothing. Yes it has an immense historical and culturally derogatory nature, but most young people are not aware of it and feel that it was such a long time ago that it doesn't apply to them. There are words that are not meant to be malicious but can be in a different context. The word at issue here is one of those words today.

RichH2
December 9th, 2011, 09:23 AM
People keep bringing it up that he's the first person to get punished for this. How else does punishment start? There always has to be a first. Precedent doesn't just randomly start. There's always going to be a first person that a specific action affects. Just because you're the first person to commit a wrongdoing, it doesn't mean you should get let off the hook. If so, then the next time something happened, that person would be the first.

If you are the first person under a rule clearly specifying the offense you have no cause for complaint.
Here , the issue is there is no clear rule regarding social media,

What would happen if you go into a "dry" county in New Jersey with an unopened six pack of beer? The County posted no specific notice of the prohibition against carrying alcohol in a vehicle and the rule had never before been enforced. Under your logic our driver is guilty, Tough that he is the 1st to go to jail.

BisonLakes
December 9th, 2011, 09:28 AM
The process issue is a real head-scratcher - the NCAA made a subjective decision, and a pretty extreme one at that, and has now basically tied their hands going forward, since any future tweets like this will pretty much require them to a) expend resources to review reported tweets against a non-existent social media standard, b) render inconsistent judgements, and c) repeatedly explain themselves.

And it doesn't help that the head of the FCS committee handing down the punishment is the AD for one of the playoff participants.

Pard4Life
December 9th, 2011, 09:30 AM
On another note, Spadola comes from one of the most exclusive areas in NJ (Freehold). As an athlete at a predominantly white school and athletic team, he was probably taken with the hip-hop and urban culture that seems to predominant in these areas. Why? I don't know. But when you try and identify and mimic a culture where such words and uses are prevalent, it probably did not even cross his mind that he was doing something questionable.

RichH2
December 9th, 2011, 09:30 AM
The process issue is a real head-scratcher - the NCAA made a subjective decision, and a pretty extreme one at that, and has now basically tied their hands going forward, since any future tweets like this will pretty much require them to a) expend resources to review reported tweets against a non-existent social media standard, b) render inconsistent judgements, and c) repeatedly explain themselves.

And it doesn't help that the head of the FCS committee handing down the punishment is the AD for one of the playoff participants.

Well said.I hadn't even thought of the future hornet's nest

LehighGuy
December 9th, 2011, 09:32 AM
No. I'm too far into your head.

You need to switch your avatar to be the same as his....next level trolling imo

NDB
December 9th, 2011, 09:34 AM
On another note, Spadola comes from one of the most exclusive areas in NJ (Freehold). As an athlete at a predominantly white school and athletic team, he was probably taken with the hip-hop and urban culture that seems to predominant in these areas. Why? I don't know. But when you try and identify and mimic a culture where such words and uses are prevalent, it probably did not even cross his mind that he was doing something questionable.

oh, so he's a rich white racist?

BisonLakes
December 9th, 2011, 09:38 AM
Well said.I hadn't even thought of the future hornet's nest

And to take it a step further, when they do establish a policy does a 1st-time offense mandate a game's suspension? If not, Lehigh will rightfully scream.

Pard4Life
December 9th, 2011, 09:45 AM
oh, so he's a rich white racist?

You missed the point... and no.

RichH2
December 9th, 2011, 09:49 AM
You missed the point... and no.

P4L, he didn'tmiss point, doesn't care, he's only looking to bait you

GannonFan
December 9th, 2011, 09:52 AM

Man, even the Lafayette guys are off the rails trying to defend this. Question whether a suspension is the appropriate punishment, sure, but don't ask us to believe that a 20 year old guy doesn't know that as a white person you don't publically, in writing, call a Black person the n-word. What rock are you living under to believe this?

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 9th, 2011, 09:53 AM
Man, even the Lafayette guys are off the rails trying to defend this. Question whether a suspension is the appropriate punishment, sure, but don't ask us to believe that a 20 year old guy doesn't know that as a white person you don't publically, in writing, call a Black person the n-word. What rock are you living under to believe this?

He wasn't talking to the black people of Towson. The comment applied to the white dudes too. Time to move on....

gotts
December 9th, 2011, 09:55 AM
He wasn't talking to the black people of Towson. The comment applied to the white dudes too. Time to move on....

I know funny, and that right thar is funny!

GannonFan
December 9th, 2011, 09:55 AM

Maybe he should've clarified himself in his tweet that he was only referring to the white players on Towson. Again, haven't you guys been paying attention for the past 25 years or so - you can't say that word publically as a white person in anyway potentially referring to a Black person. It's not even a discussion.

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 9th, 2011, 10:03 AM
Maybe he should've clarified himself in his tweet that he was only referring to the white players on Towson. Again, haven't you guys been paying attention for the past 25 years or so - you can't say that word publically as a white person in anyway potentially referring to a Black person. It's not even a discussion.

I never said he was only referring to the white dudes. I'm simply saying it was a blanket statement and not racially motivated. Towson is not an all black team. If it was an HBCU team then i would have serious concerns. Also if this happened before say a Bucknell game, no one would have paid attention.

He absolutely used poor judgement in a public forum but so have others.

RichH2
December 9th, 2011, 10:10 AM
The question is not whether he was wrong but whether the NCAA should impose so severe a sanction to the 1st player accused w/o having delineating rules and possible consequnces first. A violation of common sense as an excuse to enforce some amorphous and unspecified standard of internet behavior? Your kidding right.

GannonFan
December 9th, 2011, 10:15 AM
The question is not whether he was wrong but whether the NCAA should impose so severe a sanction to the 1st player accused w/o having delineating rules and possible consequnces first. A violation of common sense as an excuse to enforce some amorphous and unspecified standard of internet behavior? Your kidding right.

If that's what people were really arguing that would be one thing - however, we've got innumerable threads that pretty contain a lot of defense that 1)kids talk like this all the time so what's the big deal 2)he was only talking to the "white" kids on Towson so he didn't really call Black people he doesn't know the n word and 3)he's really a great and smart guy so we should just ignore this and revel in his awesomeness.

I agree, it is trending towards the harsh side to suspend him, but I'm also not going to say that shouldn't be an option and that this was just a little minor thing he did. People are really minimizing this. If he tweeted the same thing in a workplace he'd be fired in an instant and the company he worked for could be sued. So being suspended from one football game isn't that severe in the grand scheme of life.

RichH2
December 9th, 2011, 10:23 AM
If that's what people were really arguing that would be one thing - however, we've got innumerable threads that pretty contain a lot of defense that 1)kids talk like this all the time so what's the big deal 2)he was only talking to the "white" kids on Towson so he didn't really call Black people he doesn't know the n word and 3)he's really a great and smart guy so we should just ignore this and revel in his awesomeness.

I agree, it is trending towards the harsh side to suspend him, but I'm also not going to say that shouldn't be an option and that this was just a little minor thing he did. People are really minimizing this. If he tweeted the same thing in a workplace he'd be fired in an instant and the company he worked for could be sued. So being suspended from one football game isn't that severe in the grand scheme of life.

Of course suspension s/b an option among others but I keep going back to due process.You should not be punished by any organization for violation of unspecified and in this case non existant rules.

GannonFan
December 9th, 2011, 10:25 AM
Of course suspension s/b an option among others but I keep going back to due process.You should not be punished by any organization for violation of unspecified and in this case non existant rules.

This ain't a union - plenty of people get punished for vague things all the time. And really, again, it's not as if making a racist statement is ever considered "good" - some common sense is needed here. There shouldn't be a debate over whether what he said was wrong or not.