PDA

View Full Version : Stirring the Pot

penguinpower
December 8th, 2011, 12:21 PM
The overrated CAA will now lose the 5th and final team in the 2011 playofffs this weekend when the Ga. Southern Eagles beat them.

The sportswriters are too lazy to actually attend games around the country and see that other conferences are better. The playoff selection committee is biased by the TSN because it sits in the middle of CAA territory in Philly. The committee even stated that the playoff selections would be based upon several things, including information presented through news on the TSN.

Loser TSN writers please take note of your lazy and unsubstantial writing practices. You got it wrong. Your as bad as ESPN. The other conferences deserved to have more members in the playoffs. Your inability to portray the other conferences for what they are (which is better than the CAA this year) has cost the fans coaches and players of other more deserving teams. You also continually fail to mention that he CAA is large enough to allow for avoidance of a big loss through scheduling. Other conferences are just beginning to reach the size necessary to employ this strategy.

Sprotswriters at the TSN. You Suck.

TheRevSFA
December 8th, 2011, 12:33 PM
The overrated CAA will now lose the 5th and final team in the 2011 playofffs this weekend when the Ga. Southern Eagles beat them.

The sportswriters are too lazy to actually attend games around the country and see that other conferences are better. The playoff selection committee is biased by the TSN because it sits in the middle of CAA territory in Philly. The committee even stated that the playoff selections would be based upon several things, including information presented through news on the TSN.

Loser TSN writers please take note of your lazy and unsubstantial writing practices. You got it wrong. Your as bad as ESPN. The other conferences deserved to have more members in the playoffs. Your inability to portray the other conferences for what they are (which is better than the CAA this year) has cost the fans coaches and players of other more deserving teams. You also continually fail to mention that he CAA is large enough to allow for avoidance of a big loss through scheduling. Other conferences are just beginning to reach the size necessary to employ this strategy.

As does your spelling! Oh yeah, I could call you out on punctuation and such as well but I figured I'd just point out the obvious typo, as well as your lack of proper "you, your, you're"

I'm just saying, if you want to call someone out, make it look good

eagle07
December 8th, 2011, 12:33 PM
http://www.threadbombing.com/data/media/22/Chuck_Norris_Approves.gif

Gil Dobie
December 8th, 2011, 12:35 PM
Who cres aoubt sellping!

penguinpower
December 8th, 2011, 12:38 PM
As does your spelling! Oh yeah, I could call you out on punctuation and such as well but I figured I'd just point out the obvious typo, as well as your lack of proper "you, your, you're"

I'm just saying, if you want to call someone out, make it look good

My typing skills are not the best. I usually refine what I want to say about 4 times before it actually ends up on the screen and it tends to lead to poor punctuation as well.

TheRevSFA
December 8th, 2011, 12:39 PM
My typing skills are not the best. I usually refine what I want to say about 4 times before it actually ends up on the screen and it tends to lead to poor punctuation as well.

I don't disagree with your post content at all, but I thought I'd try to help

NoDak 4 Ever
December 8th, 2011, 12:43 PM
I genuinely think that the CAA is the only conference with qualifying members who didn't step on their dicks at the end of the season. As I have said ad nauseum had the other members of the MVFC not choked on the last day, the playoffs would have looked much differently.

Moral of the story? Beat the 1-9 team or STFU

I'm do not hold any animus toward YSU. I was irritated with ISUr and ISUb too for not getting the J-O-B done.

Silenoz
December 8th, 2011, 12:53 PM
Bunch of road and/or close losses to good teams, and a dismantling of App. I'd say they've done pretty good all things considered...

Not that I don't enjoy it!

Cleets
December 8th, 2011, 01:10 PM
Bunch of road and/or close losses to good teams, and a dismantling of App. I'd say they've done pretty good all things considered...

THIS ^

TwoFeathers
December 8th, 2011, 01:19 PM

Need I revive my posts from the "CAA is Overrated" thread from a while ago??? To sum it up, all the lower-ranked teams that were supposed to lose, did lose. And they all, except for JMU and Towson, beat the spread (Which is not established by TSN, or the CAA), and all but JMU were in the game until the closing minutes. So it appears all but JMU and Towson were Under-Rated. Especially Maine.

I don't know why you aren't aiming at SoCon, which had 3 teams in the playoffs, ranked in the top 5 for most of the year (App, GSU, Wofford), and 2 of the 3 lost. And the third had a tough time with ODU, which finished 3rd or 4th in the CAA.

TwoFeathers
December 8th, 2011, 01:24 PM
Here's one:

Here are the lines on the games. So if a team doesn't match or cover the spread, they are "over-rated", agreed?

Maine (+2½) at App State
Lehigh (+2½) at Towson
New Hampshire (+6) at Montana St.
JMU (+9½) at North Dakota St.
Wofford (+10) at Northern Iowa
Central Arkansas (+10) at Montana
Stony Brook (+10½) at Sam Houston St.
ODU (+13½) at Georgia Southern

So you are correct, JMU and Towson were over-rated. But Maine, New Hampshire and ODU beat expectations. Fair enough?

PS the only favorite to win was Towson anyway, so how is anyone over-rated to begin with? Just plain nonsense.

UNHFootballAlum
December 8th, 2011, 01:25 PM
Need I revive my posts from the "CAA is Overrated" thread from a while ago??? To sum it up, all the lower-ranked teams that were supposed to lose, did lose. And they all, except for JMU and Towson, beat the spread (Which is not established by TSN, or the CAA), and all but JMU were in the game until the closing minutes. So it appears all but JMU and Towson were Under-Rated. Especially Maine.

I don't know why you aren't aiming at SoCon, which had 3 teams in the playoffs, ranked in the top 5 for most of the year (App, GSU, Wofford), and 2 of the 3 lost. And the third had a tough time with ODU, which finished 3rd or 4th in the CAA.

+1

TwoFeathers
December 8th, 2011, 01:26 PM
Here's another:

What the??? Did you even watch or check the scores? Every game was close (except Maine @ Apps). All the higher-ranked teams won today (again, except Apps). And teams that supposedly weren't suppose to even be in the playoffs (JMU) were in the game the whole way. Let me refresh your memory:

#10 ODU lost to #3 Ga Southern on the road by 7
#13 Maine beat #9 App State on the road by 22
#11 UNH lost to #7 Montana State on the road by 1
#8 Towson lost to #6 Lehigh at home by 2
#17 JMU lost to #4 NDSU on the road by 12

SeattleGriz
December 8th, 2011, 01:27 PM

Do you have kids? I can't tell you how many replies I would start and then have my kids interrupt me, only to return to finish my post by going off in another direction. Other times I blame the drinking.

As to your post, I agree as well. As a Griz fan, I thought it was interesting to see how fast TSN discredited Montana one year removed from the playoffs. Showed they didn't do research at all, just went by win-loss record.

TwoFeathers
December 8th, 2011, 01:30 PM
... So if by "CAA" you mean "JMU", you are correct. They probably shouldn't have been in the playoffs.

mainejeff
December 8th, 2011, 01:52 PM

Who's Youngstown State?

NoDak 4 Ever
December 8th, 2011, 02:00 PM
Who's Youngstown State?

Well that's just stupid. They only have 4 more FCS championships than Maine.

mainejeff
December 8th, 2011, 02:04 PM
Well that's just stupid. They only have 4 more FCS championships than Maine.

Sorry........I couldn't remember them.

PAllen
December 8th, 2011, 02:07 PM
Sorry........I couldn't remember them.

:D xthumbsupx

Bear1
December 8th, 2011, 02:17 PM
This is youngstown state. And maine will see the same thing they did.http://youtu.be/02t-qgwhmm8

penguinpower
December 8th, 2011, 02:42 PM
I genuinely think that the CAA is the only conference with qualifying members who didn't step on their dicks at the end of the season. As I have said ad nauseum had the other members of the MVFC not choked on the last day, the playoffs would have looked much differently.

I'm do not hold any animus toward YSU. I was irritated with ISUr and ISUb too for not getting the J-O-B done.

The MVFC probably should have had another team placed, maybe 2, but for me this is not about the MVFC. YSU blew it against a 1-9 team. They didn't deserve it after how they played and they didn't qualify anyway. Patty Vivereto is a deadbeat commish that carries no weight and has no vision. (Tangent-Who in their right mind would change the name of a football only conference to reflect that of a stupid BB conference anyway?)

Other conferences should have had more members in the playoffs. The CAA should have had 2 this year not 5.

penguinpower
December 8th, 2011, 02:43 PM

Do you really think they deserved to get 5 teams?

penguinpower
December 8th, 2011, 02:50 PM
+1

When it comes down to the top 20 teams in the country.............they are fairly even overall. There is also a little luck involved in some games. That being said the shear probability of more than 1 CAA team winning was high. All I ever remember hearing about is how the MVFC are the limp dicks when it comes to making it to the big dance. The MVFC is "always one of Cinderella's step sisters". Look at how many playoff appearances UNI has and how many conference championships but no crowns. Bottom line is that this year the CAA was down. Mistakes were made in the selections. That is all I am saying. But we don't hear about it when its the CAA. The CAA is the media child of the TSN just as the SEC is to ESPN.

penguinpower
December 8th, 2011, 02:52 PM
Do you have kids? I can't tell you how many replies I would start and then have my kids interrupt me, only to return to finish my post by going off in another direction. Other times I blame the drinking.

As to your post, I agree as well. As a Griz fan, I thought it was interesting to see how fast TSN discredited Montana one year removed from the playoffs. Showed they didn't do research at all, just went by win-loss record.

Yep got kids and they can get you distracted.

penguinpower
December 8th, 2011, 02:53 PM
Who's Youngstown State?

This is not about Youngsotwn State. (However,they will be in the playoffs next year)

penguinpower
December 8th, 2011, 02:57 PM
This is youngstown state. And maine will see the same thing they did.http://youtu.be/02t-qgwhmm8

And that Youngstown State team did not deserve to make it to the NC game. They should have lost to FAMU in the semifinals. They got really lucky on special teams and beat a team that was up by 19 points with 5 minutes left. The probability of that happening is probably 1/100000. They were also beat up and were missing several people on defense. And your fans were very rude.

Youngstown State and ASU are two teams that have multiple National Championships besides GSU. All are great programs.

I have a highlight of the 1991 game where we went down there to Paulson stadium and knocked you guys off your horse too.

Silenoz
December 8th, 2011, 03:02 PM
Do you really think they deserved to get 5 teams?

Yes

Any power conference team that reachs the 8 win/7 DI win plateau should be in/considered. They did that so...

If Illinois State wanted in so bad maybe they should of not lost 4 times, including to ****-*** Eastern Illinois.

Silenoz
December 8th, 2011, 03:07 PM
If people don't want 5 CAA teams in, maybe some of the tweener programs in the SoCon, MFVC, Big Sky, etc. should get their **** together and win games and/or stop scheduling sub-DI teams.

penguinpower
December 8th, 2011, 03:08 PM
Yes

Any power conference team that reachs the 8 win/7 DI win plateau should be in/considered. They did that so...

If Illinois State wanted in so bad maybe they should of not lost 4 times, including ****-*** Eastern Illinois.

But you have selective scheduling, which was one of my arguments to begin with. Teams can avoid 1 or 2 of the top teams through scheduling and obtain a 7 win record more easily.

Silenoz
December 8th, 2011, 03:10 PM
Well I'm all for abolishing arbitrary win cutoffs since a victory over a Gulf South team should be worth more than a win over a Pioneer team, but it is what it is.

Not that I think there's really a case against any of those CAA teams. Closest is ODu, but they won 9 games...

penguinpower
December 8th, 2011, 03:11 PM
Yes

If Illinois State wanted in so bad maybe they should of not lost 4 times, including to ****-*** Eastern Illinois.

THIS IS NOT A MVFC VS CAA ARGUMENT. THIS IS ABOUT ALL OF THE OTHER CONFERNECES. I am not going to argue about the MVFC getting teams in, but I will say that JMU didn't belong and at least 1 or 2 more deserving teams should have been selected.

Silenoz
December 8th, 2011, 03:12 PM
Who?

I used Illinois State because that's the consensus first team left out

penguinpower
December 8th, 2011, 03:15 PM
Who?

I used Illinois State because that's the consensus first team left out

Got it.

You know what else is really amazing is that the CAA had more teams ranked in the top 10 than anyone else. I am just making the case for the media courtship the TSN has with the CAA. The ranking didn't hurt them when it came time for playoff selections either. The GPI had the MVFC ranked as the strongest conference this year, and I believe that to be true. But also MVFC teams like Youngstown State didn't even make the Top 25 when the GPI had them at 15 or 16. Total bull ****. Indiana State was in the same boat.

eaglemachine
December 8th, 2011, 03:33 PM
Another reason why the CAA gets so many teams in the playoffs is because the conference is split into divisions and all teams do not play each other in a year. (IE ODU and Maine this year) so they have inflated records at the end of the year when teams in their own conference might could beat them.

Not saying the CAA sucks or anything, they have good teams, but why should say GSU have to play 2 CAA teams in a row just because the CAA is crowding the playoff field?

In the Socon and other conferences, we all play each other every year and knock out weaker teams before the playoffs.

eaglesrthe1
December 8th, 2011, 03:33 PM

Or Furman.

bluehenbillk
December 8th, 2011, 03:36 PM
Another reason why the CAA gets so many teams in the playoffs is because the conference is split into divisions

I know that mass communication may not have reached parts of deep Southern Georgia yet but fact-check before you type.

bluehenbillk
December 8th, 2011, 03:37 PM
Got it.

You know what else is really amazing is that the CAA had more teams ranked in the top 10 than anyone else. I am just making the case for the media courtship the TSN has with the CAA. The ranking didn't hurt them when it came time for playoff selections either. The GPI had the MVFC ranked as the strongest conference this year, and I believe that to be true. But also MVFC teams like Youngstown State didn't even make the Top 25 when the GPI had them at 15 or 16. Total bull ****. Indiana State was in the same boat.

Ladies & gentlemen we have found him. Rumor had it there was somebody in America that believed the GPI had credibility....

SeattleGriz
December 8th, 2011, 03:40 PM
Another reason why the CAA gets so many teams in the playoffs is because the conference is split into divisions and all teams do not play each other in a year. (IE ODU and Maine this year) so they have inflated records at the end of the year when teams in their own conference might could beat them.

Not saying the CAA sucks or anything, they have good teams, but why should say GSU have to play 2 CAA teams in a row just because the CAA is crowding the playoff field?

In the Socon and other conferences, we all play each other every year and knock out weaker teams before the playoffs.

The Big Sky will be that way next year with the addition of UND, Cal Poly, UC Davis and Southern Utah as football only members.

eaglemachine
December 8th, 2011, 03:41 PM
I know that mass communication may not have reached parts of deep Southern Georgia yet but fact-check before you type.

I apologize, guess they are not split into divisions anymore but the point is that every team does not play on another every year.

frozennorth
December 8th, 2011, 03:41 PM
Ladies & gentlemen we have found him. Rumor had it there was somebody in America that believed the GPI had credibility....

Sagarin and massey both came to similar conclusions.

penguinpower
December 8th, 2011, 03:44 PM

I would have to say that the GPI is, more often than not, a good indicator of where teams lie in the filed of all teams. It isn't perfect, but at least it keeps uneducated (football wise) FCS sportswriters out of placing their eyeball test into the mix when it comes to rankings.

penguinpower
December 8th, 2011, 03:47 PM
I apologize, guess they are not split into divisions anymore but the point is that every team does not play on another every year.

Correct. So if every team does not have to play every other team, then you can schedule a potential loss out of the picture by choosing to play weaker teams in the conference.

UMaineD
December 8th, 2011, 03:47 PM

oh he's still in school? lol long time to get that degree huh?

Bear1
December 8th, 2011, 03:49 PM
yea,yea just changed his #to 31.

Houndawg
December 8th, 2011, 03:51 PM
But you have selective scheduling, which was one of my arguments to begin with. Teams can avoid 1 or 2 of the top teams through scheduling and obtain a 7 win record more easily.

There is selective scheduling anyway, teams can schedule non-scholly D1s for easy counters. No doubt that ISU, ISU and YSU were all playoff caliber and could have made some noise, I thought YSU was the best team we played this season, but if I were on the selection committee I would have been hard pressed to take any of them after the last game. Tough break for a strong MVC.

eaglemachine
December 8th, 2011, 03:53 PM
oh he's still in school? lol long time to get that degree huh?

We now have #31 Swope. True freshman. Has really caught on the the scheme in the later part of the season and has had a ridiculous last 3 games with over 100 yards against Alabama, Wofford and ODU

Srdnaty
December 8th, 2011, 05:31 PM

Agreed.

superman7515
December 8th, 2011, 08:24 PM
Correct. So if every team does not have to play every other team, then you can schedule a potential loss out of the picture by choosing to play weaker teams in the conference.

That's incorrect because the teams do not make their conference schedule up, in the CAA or any conference. The league office does that and you fill in the blanks with non-conference opponents.

LakesBison
December 8th, 2011, 08:26 PM
CAA WHO?

TwoFeathers
December 8th, 2011, 10:06 PM
THIS IS NOT A MVFC VS CAA ARGUMENT. THIS IS ABOUT ALL OF THE OTHER CONFERNECES. I am not going to argue about the MVFC getting teams in, but I will say that JMU didn't belong and at least 1 or 2 more deserving teams should have been selected.

Right, like Delaware (ouch! Another CAA team).

TwoFeathers
December 8th, 2011, 10:09 PM
Got it.

What year are you referring to? I don't think a single CAA team finished in the top 10. Are you referring to at one point there were 9 in the top 20?

TwoFeathers
December 8th, 2011, 10:12 PM
What year are you referring to? I don't think a single CAA team finished in the top 10. Are you referring to at one point there were 9 in the top 20?

I stand corrected, Towson #8, and ODU #10. Ask #3 GSU or #6 Lehigh if those ranking were deserved.