PDA

View Full Version : Wilder fires defensive coordinator

I-16Bandit
December 8th, 2011, 06:39 AM
http://hamptonroads.com/2011/12/old-dominions-coach-wilder-fires-defensive-coordinator

"Looking at our defense, I feel it is a very talented group, but we underachieved," said Wilder. "We were 104th in the FCS in pass defense and we allowed 27.7 points per game. We gave up a lot of points and had some breakdowns in clutch defensive situations this year."

The final blow came Saturday in the second round of the Football Championship Subdivision playoffs. ODU lost 55-48 at Georgia Southern, allowing 607 yards of total offense.

"To give up 55 points and 607 yards is just unacceptable," Wilder said.

DISCLAIMER: This is just informational. Not meant to spite ODU in any way or boost GSU in any way.

ODUFan757
December 8th, 2011, 06:48 AM
Absolutely the right move. It wasn't just the ga southern abomination. We gave up 42 to Hampton, 230 rushing yards to grimes from w&m and allowed Towson to convert a 4th and 29 for a 67 yard touchdown with under a minute left in the game that cost us the caa championship and a potential seed.

Our defensive coordinator was generally clueless all season long.

I think the real reason for this is because we have our qb and most wide recievers for at least two to three years. We have an offense that could legitimately be a national championship caliber offense. But our defense, at gsu clearly saw, was a joke.

If we can get a real d coordinator in there who has a clue how to run a defense and just turn into even a mediocre defense, we could be a national championship contender. Our offense averaged nearly 40 a game this season and put up 48 on gsu.

If we could simply have a defense capable of holding the other team in the 20's next season, we might not lose a game with heineke at qb.

So in my opinion, this was absolutely the right move by wilder.

eaglewraith
December 8th, 2011, 06:50 AM
The guy does realize that there have been many defensive coordinators that have had their gameplans absolutely destroyed by our offense right? I mean I'm not saying he should ignore the performances in conference and all that, but if our game was the deciding factor then I have the feeling he's gonna find out that kind of thing will happen more often than not.

I-16Bandit
December 8th, 2011, 06:54 AM
But our defense, at gsu clearly saw, was a joke.

Maybe so, but you still held it with Georgia Southern to the final minute. Had me sweating bullets.

Nonetheless, I do hope for the best for your team. You gained a lot of respect down here in South Georgia. I, for one, am afraid to face ODU again. Heinicke is DANGEROUS. Get your defense squared away, and I wouldn't be surprised to see ODU as the team to beat in the coming years.

eaglewraith
December 8th, 2011, 07:05 AM
Maybe so, but you still held it with Georgia Southern to the final minute. Had me sweating bullets.

Nonetheless, I do hope for the best for your team. You gained a lot of respect down here in South Georgia. I, for one, am afraid to face ODU again. Heinicke is DANGEROUS. Get your defense squared away, and I wouldn't be surprised to see ODU as the team to beat in the coming years.

I know they like being a quick strike offense, but they also need to learn some clock control. If they had been able to get ahead, minimizing our possessions would have made a big difference in how we played.

ODUFan757
December 8th, 2011, 07:27 AM
The guy does realize that there have been many defensive coordinators that have had their gameplans absolutely destroyed by our offense right? I mean I'm not saying he should ignore the performances in conference and all that, but if our game was the deciding factor then I have the feeling he's gonna find out that kind of thing will happen more often than not.

It wasn't just the gsu game. We gave up 500 yards and 45+ points to cal poly's triple option too.

Hell, we gave up 35+ to vmi's freaking triple option!

The guy clearly didn't have a clue how to stop a triple option and you can't be a defensive coordinator at the fcs level if you have no clue how to stop a triple option.

But like I said, the gsu game was simply the straw that broke the camels back.

We gave up 42 to Hampton for crying out loud. The guy had to go.

I-16Bandit
December 8th, 2011, 07:35 AM
Where did the defensive coordinator come from? (honest question)

I understand what you are saying, but you can't really base a DC on how they prepare against the TO, one of the (if not THE) hardest offenses to prepare for. I mean, your team only had 1 week to prepare for Georgia Southern. Many DC would have a lot of trouble preparing their team against a TO team. Look at Alabama this year! The only option team they face puts up the most points against them all season (no moral victories here, just bringing up a point).

I got nothing to say about Hampton, though.. :D

eaglewraith
December 8th, 2011, 09:56 AM
The guy clearly didn't have a clue how to stop a triple option and you can't be a defensive coordinator at the fcs level if you have no clue how to stop a triple option.

There's quite a few coaches out there that don't meet this requirement....quite a few on the FBS level as well.