PDA

View Full Version : Rocco to Richmond

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 6th, 2011, 11:04 AM
Seems like it might be done deal. He's holding a team meeting and an announcement will be made later this afternoon.

Supposively, Lehigh's Andy Coen was a strong candidate for this job as well.

TwoFeathers
December 6th, 2011, 11:10 AM
Seems like it might be done deal. He's holding a team meeting and an announcement will be made later this afternoon.

Supposively, Lehigh's Andy Coen was a strong candidate for this job as well.

Would that be a good thing for Richmond?

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 6th, 2011, 11:12 AM
Would that be a good thing for Richmond?

I don't know. I'm not sure if Liberty ever met expectations under Rocco.

Bogus Megapardus
December 6th, 2011, 11:15 AM
Can Rocco succeed for the Spiders as he has at Liberty? Recruiting is a much different game at Richmond.

Maybe Coen will go to Richmond and Cecchini will go to Fordham. Lehigh then can hire "TheFan" to coach.

colorless raider
December 6th, 2011, 11:23 AM
Can Rocco succeed for the Spiders as he has at Liberty? Recruiting is a much different game at Richmond.

Maybe Coen will go to Richmond and Cecchini will go to Fordham. Lehigh then can hire "TheFan" to coach.

I like that idea Bogie.

danefan
December 6th, 2011, 11:30 AM
Anybody else surprised by this if it does happen?

I thought Rocco was a Liberty guy for life to see them through to FBS.

jmu_duke07
December 6th, 2011, 11:54 AM
good for JMU... Rocco hasn't been able to beat JMU yet! xnodx

RichH2
December 6th, 2011, 12:08 PM
Speculation aside, it would be nice to keep both Andy and Dave. If not well Dave is HC, OK by me

ur2k
December 6th, 2011, 12:16 PM

Recruiting at Liberty has its "challenges" as well. I like the hire if/when it happens officially. He's run a good program at Liberty and has a ton of connections in the state as well as a lot of experience.

Franks Tanks
December 6th, 2011, 12:23 PM
Speculation aside, it would be nice to keep both Andy and Dave. If not well Dave is HC, OK by me

Dave is gone before Andy IMO. I think Dave is the key to your success in many ways, and Andy seems to be in the best job for his abilities.

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 6th, 2011, 12:29 PM
Dave is gone before Andy IMO. I think Dave is the key to your success in many ways, and Andy seems to be in the best job for his abilities.

Dave will give it one more year if Coen doesn't move on after this season. Ultimately, i do believe Cech will be the HC.

BigHouseClosedEnd
December 6th, 2011, 12:36 PM
Welcome Danny Rocco! xthumbsupx

Great job by AD Jim Miller! xbowx

Franks Tanks
December 6th, 2011, 12:55 PM
Dave will give it one more year if Coen doesn't move on after this season. Ultimately, i do believe Cech will be the HC.

Do you really think Andy gets hired by a bigger program? I am not super impressed with Andy despite the recent success. I believe his cordinators make him.

RichH2
December 6th, 2011, 12:57 PM
Do you really think Andy gets hired by a bigger program? I am not super impressed with Andy despite the recent success. I believe his cordinators make him.

True of most HC , dont you think?
Andy proved he can rebuild a program. My sincere hope is neither go anywhere. If it must be then keep Dave as HC

Franks Tanks
December 6th, 2011, 01:18 PM
True of most HC , dont you think?Andy proved he can rebuild a program. My sincere hope is neither go anywhere. If it must be then keep Dave as HC

To a certain extent.

LUHawker
December 6th, 2011, 01:23 PM

I agree with this. I also have a hard time thinking that Andy is looking to leave Lehigh. I also don't think Richmond is much, if any, of an upgrade from Lehigh, especially if schollies are coming to the PL. I hope Cecc stays a long time. Keep in mind the human element of this: Cecc just came back to Lehigh in 2010, so I don't know how anxious he might be to move around again after Harvard, the Citadel and now Lehigh. I know that is the world of coaching, but this is a factor.

Does anyone know if Andy actually interviewed with Richmond, or if they just floated his name as a coach of interest?

Franks Tanks
December 6th, 2011, 01:41 PM
I agree with this. I also have a hard time thinking that Andy is looking to leave Lehigh. I also don't think Richmond is much, if any, of an upgrade from Lehigh, especially if schollies are coming to the PL. I hope Cecc stays a long time. Keep in mind the human element of this: Cecc just came back to Lehigh in 2010, so I don't know how anxious he might be to move around again after Harvard, the Citadel and now Lehigh. I know that is the world of coaching, but this is a factor.

Does anyone know if Andy actually interviewed with Richmond, or if they just floated his name as a coach of interest?

Football Scoop said Shane Beamer, Frank Beamer's son, was offered the job first and turned it down. It appears Rocco was choice number two, and they have nothing linking Andy with the job in anyway.

jmufan
December 6th, 2011, 01:50 PM
Good hire for Richmond and for Rocco. I had a feeling he would get hired by a stronger program in a stronger conference. A lot of people laughed, but you take opportunity when you can.

Gringer1
December 6th, 2011, 02:14 PM
I don't know about this. Rocko always dressed a little unprofessionally. Too much like Dennis Wagner.

http://www.reocities.com/hollywood/studio/9568/rocko.gif

kdinva
December 6th, 2011, 02:18 PM
One confirmed story out there........

http://www2.newsadvance.com/sports/2011/dec/06/rocco-leaves-liberty-richmond-ar-1524414/

Lehigh Football Nation
December 6th, 2011, 03:18 PM
It's officially been announced - look for a web release soon.

FWIW the first I heard Andy was possibly linked to this job was this thread. Not even a whisper about it last week.

SpiderFan
December 6th, 2011, 03:21 PM
I personally disagree that Richmond is not different than Lehigh--the academics are similiar but save this year our football is a step up. No disrespect but it is. I have Lehigh friends as well who agree. We won a NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP in 08 and had a great playoff winning run. Lehigh is having a great year this year and Coen is a great coach, I thought we might hire him actually. Glad with the Rocco hire so its a moot point. But the differene bw Patriot and CAA is world's apart in competition.

Bill
December 6th, 2011, 03:28 PM
True of most HC , dont you think?
Andy proved he can rebuild a program. My sincere hope is neither go anywhere. If it must be then keep Dave as HC

Rich,
Not trying to ruffle feathers here, but what program did Coen rebuild? The program was very strong when he took over. We slipped while he was there, not before!

kdinva
December 6th, 2011, 03:36 PM
It's officially been announced - look for a web release soon.

http://www.richmondspiders.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=26800&ATCLID=205343063

Wildcat80
December 6th, 2011, 04:45 PM
Seems like a winner. Nice football pedigree.

LUHawker
December 6th, 2011, 06:48 PM
I personally disagree that Richmond is not different than Lehigh--the academics are similiar but save this year our football is a step up. No disrespect but it is. I have Lehigh friends as well who agree. We won a NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP in 08 and had a great playoff winning run. Lehigh is having a great year this year and Coen is a great coach, I thought we might hire him actually. Glad with the Rocco hire so its a moot point. But the differene bw Patriot and CAA is world's apart in competition.

Richmond is different, but that isn't the point. When you look ALL the facets of a program, I do not view Richmond as a step up from Lehigh, particularly if Lehigh and the PL get schollies. Lehigh has great facilities, a good fan base, a relatively high profile program and a rivalry that is second to none. Don't take this as Richmond isn't a great program, but other than being in the CAA, I don't think UR is a big step up. I don't expect you to agree now that I've explained further, and that is fine, but my view is that the programs are VERY similar and therefore wouldn't think this a step up for Andy.

redspider
December 6th, 2011, 07:55 PM
Welcome to the program Rocco!!! From what I read I think he will make a good fit. I think good to have an experienced coach to steady the ship after some the circumstances surrounding our coaches departure. Also, I think that it is probably better for us to have someone who will stick around for a little while this time since we have had soo many coaches of the last 6 years.

lknspider
December 6th, 2011, 07:55 PM
Richmond is different, but that isn't the point. When you look ALL the facets of a program, I do not view Richmond as a step up from Lehigh, particularly if Lehigh and the PL get schollies. Lehigh has great facilities, a good fan base, a relatively high profile program and a rivalry that is second to none. Don't take this as Richmond isn't a great program, but other than being in the CAA, I don't think UR is a big step up. I don't expect you to agree now that I've explained further, and that is fine, but my view is that the programs are VERY similar and therefore wouldn't think this a step up for Andy.

LUhawker.....You sound pretty ignorant about FCS, CAA and Richmond Spider football. Since 1998 the Spiders have more conference titles than any team in the CAA, they were in the playoffs in 2005, 2007, 2008, and 2009.....broke 3peat Natl. Champ Appalachian streak at Boone 33-13 in 2008....now have five active players in the pro ranks......largest endowment in the CAA....nearly $2 Billion, the classiest and newest football stadium in FCS...(yes small but can be expanded and sells out now every game). Their success dates back to playing as a 1A team for more than 50 years, then later in the A10 and now CAA. Yes they also have three consecutive wins over Duke an FBS team who was not all that bad this year. Spiders will resurface immediately under Coach Rocco...that is why he saw it as an upward move.

spdram
December 6th, 2011, 08:26 PM
Welcome aboard Coach Rocco, it will be interesting to see which assistants he brings with him. I would be courious to hear what the Liberty fans think of Coach Rocco. To those Liberty fans reading this, I know how you fell about losing a successful Coach, we've been ther a few times ourselves. Just be thankful he was good enough someone else wanted him. He left the program in good shape, new blood may help you reach even greater heights.

Seawolf97
December 6th, 2011, 08:44 PM
Anybody else surprised by this if it does happen?

I thought Rocco was a Liberty guy for life to see them through to FBS.

My thougts exactly. This is surprise but they do lose alot this year to graduation-Brown and Sommers in particular. Maybe he wasnt ready for a rebuilding project.

heath
December 6th, 2011, 09:01 PM
Rocco won't matter at UR,hell he couldn't get the job done at Liberty when they let all the Asa Chapmans of the world in.Not only will Rocco have trouble getting losers admitted to that academic institution, but now with ODU recruiting that area,he will not succeed. Bad hire,mark it down..............Liberty boosters are not sad at allxthumbsupx

lknspider
December 6th, 2011, 09:06 PM
Rocco won't matter at UR,hell he couldn't get the job done at Liberty when they let all the Asa Chapmans of the world in.Not only will Rocco have trouble getting losers admitted to that academic institution, but now with ODU recruiting that area,he will not succeed. Bad hire,mark it down..............Liberty boosters are not sad at allxthumbsupx

If you think he didn't get the job done......go back and look at your 1-11 record and attendance numbers the year before he arrived!!

spdram
December 6th, 2011, 09:44 PM
Sounds like sour grapes to me, expected some of that -- but not the only response.

BigHouseClosedEnd
December 6th, 2011, 09:54 PM
...Liberty boosters are not sad at allxthumbsupx

Judging by the postings on the Liberty board, I don't think all Liberty boosters agree with this view.

For what it's worth, we've been through far more than our fair of this stuff, so we understand the feelings. Good luck to LU with a quick and effective job search.

jcmanson
December 7th, 2011, 07:52 AM
Most Liberty fans aren't surprised in the least. Many feel he took us as far as he could take us. For 5 years in a row we were one win short of the playoffs, and every year was "his best team ever." We're appreciative for all he has done for us the past 6 years since he's certainly taken us from laughing stock to playoff contender, but we're hopeful our next coach will take us to the next level.

I think this works out for all parties involved: Rocco, UR, and Liberty.

Doc QB
December 7th, 2011, 09:20 AM

Although a Lehigh guy, I agree with SpiderFan...he is correct. All facilties, football, and academic aside, even with scholarships (not a done deal anyway), this is a step up for Rocco and would have been for Coen. I heard Saturday night from some of my guys that he was in the running, but because of the playoffs, was obviously busy.

Richmond has done exceedingly well int he past few seasons, and importantly, in the CAA. Coaches look at that nationally, and more importantly so do the ADs making these hires. In the coaching ranks, it is unmistakeably a step UP. It will take more than a few seasons for a scholarship PL to close the athletic/talent gap, as well as improve league wide reputation if scholarships and competitiveness follow...Richmond is there now, and since all of these guys are typically looking to elevate FCS pedigree or move up to FBS land, UR is most definitely a step up.

Sly Fox
December 7th, 2011, 09:30 AM
I love how this thread is dominated by a discussion of Lehigh vs. Richmond. AGS always provides some levity when I need it most.

I agree with the idea that this is a good move for all parties involved. Richmond is getting a great coach who probably won't be bolting this time next year and Coach Rocco is back doing what he has proven he is very capable of doing well. And for Liberty, we are now ready to hire a coach prepared to help us take the next step whether that be FBS or FCS Playoffs.

LUHawker
December 7th, 2011, 12:59 PM
Although a Lehigh guy, I agree with SpiderFan...he is correct. All facilties, football, and academic aside, even with scholarships (not a done deal anyway), this is a step up for Rocco and would have been for Coen. I heard Saturday night from some of my guys that he was in the running, but because of the playoffs, was obviously busy.

Richmond has done exceedingly well int he past few seasons, and importantly, in the CAA. Coaches look at that nationally, and more importantly so do the ADs making these hires. In the coaching ranks, it is unmistakeably a step UP. It will take more than a few seasons for a scholarship PL to close the athletic/talent gap, as well as improve league wide reputation if scholarships and competitiveness follow...Richmond is there now, and since all of these guys are typically looking to elevate FCS pedigree or move up to FBS land, UR is most definitely a step up.

Since you mention that Richmond is there "now" and that is a critical point in your argument, I'll play. Lehigh has won 10 in a row, Richmond lost 8 in a row, now. Lehigh was undefeated and won the the PL, Richmond was winless in the CAA and finished dead last, now. Lehigh made the playoffs, had a bye and won a 2nd round game, now; Richmond got to watch on TV.

I am not trying to be belligerent, simply noting that today, Richmond is not a big step up from Lehigh.

Doc QB
December 7th, 2011, 02:18 PM
Since you mention that Richmond is there "now" and that is a critical point in your argument, I'll play. Lehigh has won 10 in a row, Richmond lost 8 in a row, now. Lehigh was undefeated and won the the PL, Richmond was winless in the CAA and finished dead last, now. Lehigh made the playoffs, had a bye and won a 2nd round game, now; Richmond got to watch on TV.

I am not trying to be belligerent, simply noting that today, Richmond is not a big step up from Lehigh.

No belligerence detected. However, focusing on the "Richmond is there now" ignores the opening of the paragraph (past few seasons) that is most important. One down year after your leader leaves with the stink of booze on his breath a week beofre an FBS game...most teams will suffer from that. It was an abberration, and overall, UR has had a very solid multiyear run detailed in another post above. But is there really any other evidence you need, that on a whole, the UR job has been a great stepping stone for the last two guys, Dave Clawson or Mike London? Parallels can be drawn (and will be, unless I unmasked it for you) with Lembo and further back Higgins, but playing in a better conference has more bling than the best of the PL, our LU. And in reality, Lembo getting his shot in the MAC was more about his Elon teams than his LU ones. Better conferences, better mobility up.

I'd like to believe LU is equal to these CAA guys. We not there just yet. And the "yet" makes it an exciting time for LU football.

Mountaineer#96
December 7th, 2011, 02:20 PM
Andy Coen? from Bravo TV? http://www.bravotv.com/watch-what-happens-live/blogs/andys-blog

ur2k
December 7th, 2011, 03:15 PM

UR won a national championship in 2008, when was your last one?

lknspider
December 7th, 2011, 04:18 PM
UR won a national championship in 2008, when was your last one?

LeHigh sounds like a high school...no respect.

LUHawker
December 7th, 2011, 06:24 PM
LeHigh sounds like a high school...no respect.

Wow, that was so witty.

You guys are getting way to bent out of shape here. Let me spell it out for you: UR is a great program; Lehigh is a great program. Fair enough? You're taking this as a slight; you shouldn't.