PDA

View Full Version : How would Maine's offense and defense compare to ODU's

GSU Eagle
December 4th, 2011, 03:12 PM
From what I saw yesterday ODU's offense was about 80% pass and 20% run. Obviously ODU had major problems stopping the triple option on defense.

From people who have seen both teams play how does Maine compare on offense and defense to ODU?

State Line Liquors
December 4th, 2011, 03:43 PM
Of the teams in the CAA that UD played, I thought that Maine was the best all around team. Their defense is a more difficult matchup than ODU for you guys, particularly in the back 7 where I expect they'll be better tacklers.

On offense, they won't test you the way ODU did. Their running back, Pushaun Brown, absolutely torched UD. Their tight end, Perrillo, will also need to be game planned for since he's a reliable ball catcher and if I recall correctly seemed to be Smith's receiver of choice in tight spots like 3rd down passing situations.

Travelinneer
December 4th, 2011, 04:08 PM
I was most impressed with Maine's offensive line, and #86. Anytime Maine needed yardage, he somehow was open, and hands of super glue. It seemed that they mixed up the plays with about an equal distribution of passing and running.

Longhorn
December 4th, 2011, 06:05 PM
Maine is tough, and very experienced. Comparing the Bears and ODU's play against JMU, I'd have to give the edge to Maine. The Bears are a much better "team"...meaning their D and maturity contribute to their not beating themselves. Should be a tough game next week, could go either way.

The Eagle's Cliff
December 4th, 2011, 06:48 PM
The good news is Maine runs the same look-at-the-sidelines generic offense everyone else runs, so it won't be something new. They're a good, solid generic football team built in the Pro style using size and speed in all the typical places. I think playing ODU will actually make our defense better as it was a 27 minute, 70 play drill of pass rushing and defending that will make the Maine offense appear much slower.

Defensively, Maine will be harder to block and they will tackle better. Should be another tough game.