PDA

View Full Version : Lehigh almost got MEAC'ed

LehighU11
December 3rd, 2011, 10:40 PM
I've heard plenty about how terrible the MEAC officials are, and couldn't believe they could possibly be worse than the sub-Pop Warner capable Patriot League ones, but the MEAC crew today was AWFUL. Drawl was stopped by the corpulent umpire on his way into the endzone on their opening drive, flags were thrown at will early on, not a single holding call made all day, and nothing called on that shot that Spadola took on the long pass down the sideline. Can't we get officials of higher quality in the playoffs, possibly from FBS conferences?

hawkineer
December 3rd, 2011, 11:36 PM
I thought that they were shakey early but OK for the most part. They really blew the call later on the kick off that placed the ball at the 1/2 yard line. I just watched some of the replay on ESPN3. He never left the end zone. But it did result in an awesome 99.66666 yard drive.

At least they let both teams play. Just remember, LU didn't have any holding calls either.

Twentysix
December 3rd, 2011, 11:51 PM
I've heard plenty about how terrible the MEAC officials are, and couldn't believe they could possibly be worse than the sub-Pop Warner capable Patriot League ones, but the MEAC crew today was AWFUL. Drawl was stopped by the corpulent umpire on his way into the endzone on their opening drive, flags were thrown at will early on, not a single holding call made all day, and nothing called on that shot that Spadola took on the long pass down the sideline. Can't we get officials of higher quality in the playoffs, possibly from FBS conferences?

Its in your head if you think FBS ref's are any better. I dont know where the officals of our game were from but they blew a few pretty easy calls.

andy7171
December 4th, 2011, 07:16 AM
If his foot was on the line and knelt in the endzone, that's a saftey not put the ball on the 1' mark.

That said, the 100 yard drive to tie was the game winner.

Engineer86
December 4th, 2011, 07:25 AM
If his foot was on the line and knelt in the endzone, that's a saftey not put the ball on the 1' mark.

Incorrect, the rule is the oposite of a touchdown, THE BALL must come all the way out past the line or it did not come out.

Engineer86
December 4th, 2011, 07:27 AM
I thought that they were shakey early but OK for the most part. They really blew the call later on the kick off that placed the ball at the 1/2 yard line. I just watched some of the replay on ESPN3. He never left the end zone. But it did result in an awesome 99.66666 yard drive.

At least they let both teams play. Just remember, LU didn't have any holding calls either.

I agree with this, shaky early, the no touchback was a joke, but as the game progressed they weren't awful.

hawkineer
December 4th, 2011, 07:30 AM

Examples of instances where a touchback would be awarded include when:
A kickoff or punt enters the end zone and becomes dead behind the goal line without being advanced beyond the goal line by a player of the receiving team. Thus, a player on the receiving team could attempt to advance the ball out of his own end zone, but the original impetus from the kick remains as long as the ball does not completely cross the goal line into the field of play. Note that if a kick is fielded by the receiving team in its end zone, is advanced beyond the goal line, and then the ball carrier retreats back into his own end zone where the ball is downed, it is a safety because the impetus would then be charged to the receiving team.

RichH2
December 4th, 2011, 08:22 AM
Guess I am numb where it concerns PL refs. Actually, I didn't think these refs were all that bad. Let both teams play. Some missed calls but nothing that took the game away from the players

LehighU11
December 4th, 2011, 11:06 AM
Guess I am numb where it concerns PL refs. Actually, I didn't think these refs were all that bad. Let both teams play. Some missed calls but nothing that took the game away from the players

They were awful in the first half, but did an okay job in the second half once they just let the game be played.

PAllen
December 4th, 2011, 12:44 PM
Gotta disagree here. While not perfect (quite a few missed holding and block in the back, and two or three missed pass interference calls), they were letting them play. The momentum rule call (no touchback) looked like the correct call from where I'm sitting, and nobody had a better view than the linejudge who came in to make it. Honestly, it was a stupid play by the players, not by the officials. Overall not a bad job by the zebras. BTW, the receiver running into the umpire is not the umpire's fault. If he goes behind the ump (towards the end zone) he picks up the first down. Instead, he tries to use the ump as a pick on the defenders and gets tangled up. Again, player's mistake, not the officials. Next week should be interesting.

Big Dawg
December 4th, 2011, 01:38 PM
MEAC officals are TRASH!!! The worst in FCS

TSU86
December 4th, 2011, 02:54 PM
thought the refs were a non-issue

Cleets
December 4th, 2011, 02:57 PM
thought the refs were a non-issue

+1