Big Sky 2
Missouri Valley 2
CAA 1
Southern 1
Southland 1
Patriot 1

Gil Dobie
December 3rd, 2011, 08:18 PM
Patriot is the other undefeated conference so far.

Dallas Demon
December 3rd, 2011, 09:51 PM
Playoff Record by Conference in 2011

Big Sky 2-0 100%
Missouri Valley 2-0 100%
Patriot 1-0 100%
Southland 2-1 66.7%
Big South 1-1 50%
CAA 3-4 43%
Southern 1-2 33.3%
MEAC 0-1 0.0%
NEC 0-1 0.0%
Ohio Valley 0-2 0.0%

That makes the Patriot the 3rd best conference and the Southland the 4th best conference if I'm following this thread correctly - right?

NDB
December 3rd, 2011, 09:52 PM
A conference should not be judged by its best teams alone, but by its depth.

Twentysix
December 3rd, 2011, 09:53 PM
Not to smack SBU but what would the theoretical scores be... SBU @ NDSU or SBU @ UM.

The southland is probably the 5th best conference. If the PL had 63 scholarships the southland would probably be the 6th best.

Squealofthepig
December 3rd, 2011, 10:16 PM
yeah, this is all about the best teams left, which may or may not be indicative of their conference's depth. More competitive conferences should produce teams more capable of winning in the playoffs, but I'm guessing some statistical analyses would give you pretty small r squared predictive values.

The CAA was down this year, and the SoCon was up. How you want to rank the top four or five conferences is just not practical unless you want to have a nice round robin in January/February with all the teams.

Which - OK, that could be fun. Richmond vs. Northern Colorado. Western Carolina vs. Missouri State! (I actually would be in favor of having an agreement between some of the major conferences to have their last-place leagues play other league's last-place teams ooc for bragging rights the following year).

Jacked_Rabbit
December 3rd, 2011, 10:22 PM
One could argue that the MVFC had three potential/probable teams (IN St, IL St, YSU) get knocked out of the playoffs on the final weekend of conference play, which would have given the MVFC 5 representatives. Hard to argue with that depth, and that doesn't even include recent playoff participants SIU, SDSU, & WIU.

Look up depth in the dictionary and you see a picture of the Valley!

Twentysix
December 3rd, 2011, 10:24 PM
One could argue that the MVFC had three potential/probable teams (IN St, IL St, YSU) get knocked out of the playoffs on the final weekend of conference play, which would have given the MVFC 5 representatives. Hard to argue with that depth, and that doesn't even include recent playoff participants SIU, SDSU, & WIU.

Look up depth in the dictionary and you see a picture of the Valley!

I considered making a wikipage for depth that had a picture of the MVFC... it took me longer than 35 seconds so i gave up.

FCS_pwns_FBS
December 3rd, 2011, 10:28 PM
per todays playoff results

Remaining teams

Big Sky 2
Missouri Valley 2
CAA 1
Southern 1
Southland 1
Patriot 1

Playing games at home is a big help.

PantherRob82