PDA

View Full Version : Would you hire a previous coach?

Smitty
December 1st, 2011, 03:44 PM
Interesting article in the local paper...

http://www.citizen-times.com/article/20111201/SPORTS/312010074/Ex-football-coaches-believe-WCU-can-win-again?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|Sports

Few coaches that have been at WCU in the past have expressed that the school can turn the program around. My main question, would you hire coaches from the past even after they have been fired? Obviously if they were terrible you wouldn't want to but say Bill Bleil who was let go because of player issues.

NoDak 4 Ever
December 1st, 2011, 03:54 PM
Interesting article in the local paper...

http://www.citizen-times.com/article/20111201/SPORTS/312010074/Ex-football-coaches-believe-WCU-can-win-again?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|Sports

Few coaches that have been at WCU in the past have expressed that the school can turn the program around. My main question, would you hire coaches from the past even after they have been fired? Obviously if they were terrible you wouldn't want to but say Bill Bleil who was let go because of player issues.

If Craig Bohl moves on, I would take Rocky Hager in a second. That man BLEEDS Bison Green and Gold!

-Cue the flamers.....xflamemadxxflamemadxxflamemadxxflamema dx

Silenoz
December 1st, 2011, 04:11 PM
I'd be all for UM hiring Joe Glenn. The 2000 and 2001 Griz teams aren't ones that I'd want to play! Plus we already have Breske

BisonBacker
December 1st, 2011, 04:12 PM
If Craig Bohl moves on, I would take Rocky Hager in a second. That man BLEEDS Bison Green and Gold!

^^^^This^^^^^

blueballs
December 1st, 2011, 04:13 PM
If his name was Erk or Paul... yes. Otherwise, hell no!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

93henfan
December 1st, 2011, 04:16 PM
Tubby Raymond: He's not dead yet!

ALPHAGRIZ1
December 1st, 2011, 04:19 PM
Do sex coaches count?

If so, grizzall would take Sandusky back......he was a Fine coach.

Mountaineer#96
December 1st, 2011, 07:45 PM
Jerry Moore has been around so long it is hard to come up with one we would want back at ASU. Maybe Sean Elliot to come back in and get our O-line back on track. Although from what I can tell he has South Carolina's oline working and he seems happy down there with Spurrier.

Hammerhead
December 1st, 2011, 07:49 PM
I'd be happy to have Rocky back. He kind of got the shaft if you ask me when he left NDSU. Plus, I enjoyed his words of wisdom like: "If ifs and buts were candy and nuts, we'd all have a merry Christmas."

Grizo406
December 1st, 2011, 07:49 PM
As long as he kept Gregorak & Breske on staff, I'd love to have Hauck back as the Griz HC!xnodxxnodx

Up yours, ALPHA!!xlovex

sgt smash
December 1st, 2011, 08:00 PM
Bob Babich? Bison fans...I am gonna say no myself.

NoDak 4 Ever
December 1st, 2011, 08:11 PM
I'd be happy to have Rocky back. He kind of got the shaft if you ask me when he left NDSU. Plus, I enjoyed his words of wisdom like: "If ifs and buts were candy and nuts, we'd all have a merry Christmas."

Or the line where he said when he dies he wants to be buried at the 50 yard line at Dacotah Field. Goosebumps. I thought for sure I'd get flamed for "living in the past"

UNIFanSince1983
December 1st, 2011, 09:01 PM
Before he ran MSU into the ground I would have taken Terry Allen back. Right now, however, probably not.

Squealofthepig
December 1st, 2011, 09:59 PM
Oooh, could we possibly get Hauck back? Omigod, I mean, how could any griz fan NOT want to see the return of his astute playcalling and recruitment of players with character above question!

/sarcasm

PAllen
December 1st, 2011, 11:20 PM
Higgins - YES!

Lembo - NO!

BisonBacker
December 2nd, 2011, 08:35 AM
Bob Babich? Bison fans...I am gonna say no myself.

He was a hell of a recruiter I will give him that but he couldn't leave fast enough as far as coaching goes.

NoDak 4 Ever
December 2nd, 2011, 08:38 AM
He was a hell of a recruiter I will give him that but he couldn't leave fast enough as far as coaching goes.

He loved his kid way too much for my taste. Bobby was terrible.

AshevilleApp2
December 2nd, 2011, 09:05 AM
Jerry Moore has been around so long it is hard to come up with one we would want back at ASU. Maybe Sean Elliot to come back in and get our O-line back on track. Although from what I can tell he has South Carolina's oline working and he seems happy down there with Spurrier.

Sparky Woods coached before Moore, got App to its first playoff appearances and a semi-final appearance. I'd hire him back in a pinch.

Before Sparky was Mack Brown.

Apphole
December 2nd, 2011, 09:38 AM
Scott Satterfield: Hell yes
Sean Elliot: Hell yes
Anyone who has ever even considered coaching a Western: Hell no!

NDB
December 2nd, 2011, 09:40 AM
He loved his kid way too much for my taste.

Horrible trait for a father...

ASUMountaineer
December 2nd, 2011, 09:40 AM
Well, the last time that ASU did that (that I know of) was Buzz(ard) Peterson--though, not fired. So, given that track record...no, do not hire a retread.

GaSouthern
December 2nd, 2011, 09:44 AM
If his name was Erk or Paul... yes. Otherwise, hell no!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yup

NoDak 4 Ever
December 2nd, 2011, 09:46 AM
Horrible trait for a father...

When it manifests itself into thinking the kid is a starting cornerback it is. Especially when you put him out there without an asbestos suit, getting burned as many times as he did.

Apphole
December 2nd, 2011, 09:55 AM
Well, the last time that ASU did that (that I know of) was Buzz(ard) Peterson--though, not fired. So, given that track record...no, do not hire a retread.

That man in the Lane Kiffin of mid-major basketball. What...a...douche.........

Mr. C
December 2nd, 2011, 10:23 AM
That man in the Lane Kiffin of mid-major basketball. What...a...douche.........

Not in everyone's mind. Would you have turned down the dollars that he did to go to UNC-Wilmington, if someone legitimately offered them to you? I don't think so. If you actually knew Buzz Peterson in a personal way, you would never say that.

Mr. C
December 2nd, 2011, 10:26 AM
Before he ran MSU into the ground I would have taken Terry Allen back. Right now, however, probably not.

Run Missouri State into the ground? The Bears were a lot worse off before Terry Allen arrived. This season was an aberration.

asumike83
December 2nd, 2011, 10:55 AM
Not in everyone's mind. Would you have turned down the dollars that he did to go to UNC-Wilmington, if someone legitimately offered them to you? I don't think so. If you actually knew Buzz Peterson in a personal way, you would never say that.

I do not know him and would not go so far as to insult him on a personal level, but I still do not like how he played us the 2nd time around.

He had to be persuaded to come back to Boone the second time around (which should have been a warning in itself to our athletic department) and then bolted after one decent season. He also had players who transferred to play for him who were left out in the cold. I know money talks and I get that but he was hardly starving on $225K per year. He was a bad hire in the first place because it was not a surprise to anybody that he bolted but I would have liked to see him stick around for at least 2-3 years. Who knows what kind of job he could have landed if he'd lead us to an NCAA tournament or two, likely more than the $400K he got from UNCW.

Apphole
December 2nd, 2011, 11:01 AM

He didn't have to make statements suggesting he was going to be the "Jerry Moore of the basketball team." He put the screws to App State. A typical Tar Hole. I don't blame him so much for his greed, more so for his misleading remarks and his intentional deceit for his own interest. This is the kind of thing big time programs have to deal with, not one that struggles in mid-major mediocrity.

It may have been for the best, however, in that he got fired from Tenn(I think it was Tenn) for sucking. Being room mates with Michael Jordan does not make you a good coach.

Buck Fuzzkill Peterson

ASUMountaineer
December 2nd, 2011, 01:08 PM

Like asumike83, I won't attack him personally except to say that I don't trust him enough to hire him. The guy has been chasing the money since he left Boone the first time, and while I don't fault him for that, at least admit that's what it's about. He did the same thing to us that he did to Tulsa. For that, I blame the administration for hiring him. Like AppHole, his comments that he would be at ASU for the long-haul really bothered me when he bolted, and sounded very familiar when he said them at his introductory press conference at UNCW. We'll see how long he holds to his word this time.

While making such misleading statements were bad, my biggest problem with Buzz was the way he left Boone the second time. When he leaves a voicemail for Charlie Cobb and then doesn't even tell his players...he tucks tail and runs to the coast as quickly as possible, that's what bugged me more than anything. That showed a lack of respect, concern, gratitude, and character. For that, I will never be a fan of the Buzz(ard).

boonegoon
December 2nd, 2011, 02:35 PM
Like asumike83, I won't attack him personally except to say that I don't trust him enough to hire him. The guy has been chasing the money since he left Boone the first time, and while I don't fault him for that, at least admit that's what it's about. He did the same thing to us that he did to Tulsa. For that, I blame the administration for hiring him. Like AppHole, his comments that he would be at ASU for the long-haul really bothered me when he bolted, and sounded very familiar when he said them at his introductory press conference at UNCW. We'll see how long he holds to his word this time.

While making such misleading statements were bad, my biggest problem with Buzz was the way he left Boone the second time. When he leaves a voicemail for Charlie Cobb and then doesn't even tell his players...he tucks tail and runs to the coast as quickly as possible, that's what bugged me more than anything. That showed a lack of respect, concern, gratitude, and character. For that, I will never be a fan of the Buzz(ard).

I love that Buzz is 0-5 to start this season at Wilmington.