PDA

View Full Version : Kiss.Of.Death.

Baldy
December 1st, 2011, 01:43 AM
Was nice knowing you ODWho. :D

http://www.thecoastalsource.com/content/news/localsports/story/Georgia-Southern-Eagles-set-to-host-FCS-Playoff-Ro/4qlHz3754keUaMy27YYvWA.cspx

Click the video link for some pure comedy gold. xlolx

GreatAppSt
December 1st, 2011, 01:59 AM
Kidney stones keepin you up again Baldy?:D go back ta bed.xtroublex

Eaglegus2
December 1st, 2011, 02:43 AM
NO I don't have kidney stones but it is the constant worrying that App St won't be able to move on in the playoffs. We need you guys to win so we will be able to meet in the next round of the playoffs. The SoCon has a reputation to maintain. We are hoping to keep up our end of the bargain against the Monarchs. Just win Mountaineers, just win baby!!!

Eagle16
December 1st, 2011, 07:56 AM
As if Odie Who didn't have enough to worry about, their coach goes and disrespects our program a few days before the game. Not too bright, but I appreciate the motivation.

ASUMountaineer
December 1st, 2011, 08:21 AM
NO I don't have kidney stones but it is the constant worrying that App St won't be able to move on in the playoffs. We need you guys to win so we will be able to meet in the next round of the playoffs. The SoCon has a reputation to maintain. We are hoping to keep up our end of the bargain against the Monarchs. Just win Mountaineers, just win baby!!!

If you guys don't pull out the victory against ODU (which, I know its a foregone conclusion that the Stink will), the laughter you hear will be coming from Boone--win or lose.

Seriously, I know that if we're able to get by Maine, then playing another home game would be in ASU's best interest. BUT, it would be great to beat you in Stinkboro, on the banks of the mighty Eagle Creek.

I'm sure our guys will be focused and ready to roll. I'm hoping we can get past Maine (I was a senior in 2002 xdohx) and represent well.

asumike83
December 1st, 2011, 08:25 AM
"We have as many National Championships as they do in the last 20 years"

Seriously? If you're going to give your opponent bulletin board material on game week, at least know what you're talking about. Either math is not his strong suit, he is unaware the 2 titles GSU won in '99-'00 or ODU has a couple championships that I don't know about!

GSUhooligan
December 1st, 2011, 11:13 AM
Yeah, it's more like "GSU has more national titles in the last 20 years than we have playoff wins."

Ivytalk
December 1st, 2011, 11:46 AM
Yeah, it's more like "GSU has more national titles in the last 20 years than we have playoff wins."

A little unfortunate "blackboard material" by Mr. Wilder!xlolxxshakefistxxtroublexxanim_chaix

blueballs
December 1st, 2011, 11:51 AM
This guy is reminding me more and more of the Hofstra coach (whose name I can't remember), who in 2000 said playing against GSU in Paulson was "no big deal."

We all remember how that one turned out...

asumike83
December 1st, 2011, 12:26 PM
This guy is reminding me more and more of the Hofstra coach (whose name I can't remember), who in 2000 said playing against GSU in Paulson was "no big deal."

Who cares dude? That was like... 20 years ago. Just ask the ODU coach! xlolx

Eagle22
December 1st, 2011, 12:38 PM

Joe "Just another day at the office" Gardi

TheEagleWay
December 1st, 2011, 12:47 PM
He says it with a smug attitude as well. Did you hear the laughter in the background after he made the comment? I hope we pour on the points on these guys big time.

TwoFeathers
December 1st, 2011, 01:03 PM
Was nice knowing you ODWho. :D

http://www.thecoastalsource.com/content/news/localsports/story/Georgia-Southern-Eagles-set-to-host-FCS-Playoff-Ro/4qlHz3754keUaMy27YYvWA.cspx

Click the video link for some pure comedy gold. xlolx

Oh, I see, it's OK for Ga Southern fans to discuss your playoff history, but when someone else does, it pisses you off? C'mon, your program is tougher than that. As the old saying goes, "Act like you've been there before". ODU hasn't, so they deserve some slack for trying to pump up their players and fans. What their coach said was no worse than Monken sandbaggin' in his official press release prior to the Alabama game, and basically predicting a loss. Just so that they could brag about ONLY getting beaten by 24 points by Alabama. Everyone deserves a little pre-game slack.

AUtigersGSUeagles
December 1st, 2011, 01:09 PM
Oh, I see, it's OK for Ga Southern fans to discuss your playoff history, but when someone else does, it pisses you off? C'mon, your program is tougher than that. As the old saying goes, "Act like you've been there before". ODU hasn't, so they deserve some slack for trying to pump up their players and fans. What their coach said was no worse than Monken sandbaggin' in his official press release prior to the Alabama game, and basically predicting a loss. Just so that they could brag about ONLY getting beaten by 24 points by Alabama. Everyone deserves a little pre-game slack.

I think the problem is that what he said is wrong. He said they have as many titles in the past twenty years as we do. Which is, obviously, incorrect. Because we have two titles in the past twenty years. Four in the past twenty-five. That's where the "message board" material is... making a statement like that which is supposed to be pumping up to his team and fans, but is also incorrect and showing an ignorance of exactly what our winning tradition is.

asumike83
December 1st, 2011, 01:10 PM

I (obviously) am not a GA Southern fan, but the two situations are complete opposites.

Monken pumped up Alabama's talent and history to sandbag and take pressure off of his own team. The ODU coach denigrated GSU's history by saying they haven't done anything in 20 years which is both factually incorrect and a rather stupid tactic. Why would you want to give a good team bulletin board material just days before you have to go play them at their place?

TwoFeathers
December 1st, 2011, 01:14 PM
I think the problem is that what he said is wrong. He said they have as many titles in the past twenty years as we do. Which is, obviously, incorrect. Because we have two titles in the past twenty years. Four in the past twenty-five. That's where the "message board" material is... making a statement like that which is supposed to be pumping up to his team and fans, but is also incorrect and showing an ignorance of exactly what our winning tradition is.

Agreed on the facts... it just shows you how young that program is. To me he seemed nervous, if anything. They better hope the coach is preparing better for the game than he did for that interview ;)

TheEagleWay
December 1st, 2011, 01:15 PM

Big Difference.

Monken stated a fact, Alabama has top talent.

ODouchU coach ran his mouth and not respecting a team's history.

Bear1
December 1st, 2011, 01:15 PM
Its OK guys. This is a baby football program, just trying to find its way. And just like any child, it will learn from its mistakes.

ebirToG
December 1st, 2011, 01:17 PM
I thought this was the playoffs... loser goes home... does GA Southern need more motivation than that? If so they are in trouble anyway.

Remeber the movie Hoosiers when the coach went out and had the team measure the height of the basket and the distance from the foul line so his players would see it was just another game and not be intimidated?

That is all the ODU coach was doing.

DJnva
December 1st, 2011, 01:18 PM
Not sure what happened...I've seen other interviews where he's mentioned you guys have won 6.

In fact, Wilder usually goes out of his way to praise the other schools. He obviously misspoke. In fact I'm prety sure he was the OC at Maine in one of the years you guys won. I'm pretty sure he's familiar with your history.

TwoFeathers
December 1st, 2011, 01:19 PM
I (obviously) am not a GA Southern fan, but the two situations are complete opposites.

Monken pumped up Alabama's talent and history to sandbag and take pressure off of his own team. The ODU coach denigrated GSU's history by saying they haven't done anything in 20 years which is both factually incorrect and a rather stupid tactic. Why would you want to give a good team bulletin board material just days before you have to go play them at their place?

Disagree on Monken... What Saban did was deference to Ga Southern. Monken was TOTALLY sandbaggin... There's a big difference in what you say when you think you can win a game, and when you have no shot. And what Monken said was downplaying expectations.

"We've got a huge challenge on our hands just to be in the ballgame and not be completely embarrassed."

"They are so far superior at every position. I don't know whether to laugh or cry," Monken added.

"Alabama is perhaps the best football team in the country right now," said Monken. "They hold their opponents to 7.1 points per game and only three teams have scored more than 10 points in a game against them this year."

... C'Mon Man!!!... Anyone???

TheEagleWay
December 1st, 2011, 01:21 PM
Thats life if our coach blew off Alabama player class of 2008's talent.

gsu6trophies
December 1st, 2011, 01:24 PM
Disagree on Monken... What Saban did was deference to Ga Southern. Monken was TOTALLY sandbaggin... There's a big difference in what you say when you think you can win a game, and when you have no shot. And what Monken said was downplaying expectations.

"We've got a huge challenge on our hands just to be in the ballgame and not be completely embarrassed."

"They are so far superior at every position. I don't know whether to laugh or cry," Monken added.

"Alabama is perhaps the best football team in the country right now," said Monken. "They hold their opponents to 7.1 points per game and only three teams have scored more than 10 points in a game against them this year."

Whatever. His team came ready to play and held up pretty well with all things considered. You can hate him all you want.

Eagle22
December 1st, 2011, 01:25 PM
I thought this was the playoffs... loser goes home... does GA Southern need more motivation than that? If so they are in trouble anyway.

Remeber the movie Hoosiers when the coach went out and had the team measure the height of the basket and the distance from the foul line so his players would see it was just another game and not be intimidated?

Why pour gas on a fire ?

Yeah, I think the ODU coach knows exactly what he is doing. All the GSU fans that are responding though, are simply pointing out the litany of examples of the years where that has backfired on opposing head coaches.

The GSU team (players and coaches) have all the motivation they need (they ended last season with a bitter taste in their mouth). If ODU wins, it is because they beat us on the field.

It's kind of weird how in the playoffs we get a lot of different teams come south to play, but the ones always running their mouths in the Yankee/A-10/CAA almost always end up eating crow and packing it up till the following September. The lone exception has been UNH, and they actually didn't run their mouths like Hofstra, Maine, UMASS and ODU have. Coincidental ?

TwoFeathers
December 1st, 2011, 01:40 PM
I know that Monken was sandbagging and I said exactly that. The ODU coach, however, was doing quite the opposite.

Gushing over an opponent to downplay your own expectations is equally obnoxious, IMO. Wost part is that Ga Southern actually could have won that game. My feeling is, if they played 'Bama 10 times, they would win 3-4 of them. Ga Southern doesn't have to sandbag anything, they are that good. Again, just my opinion.

TwoFeathers
December 1st, 2011, 01:42 PM
It's kind of weird how in the playoffs we get a lot of different teams come south to play, but the ones always running their mouths in the Yankee/A-10/CAA almost always end up eating crow and packing it up till the following September. The lone exception has been UNH, and they actually didn't run their mouths like Hofstra, Maine, UMASS and ODU have. Coincidental ?

I usually don't get into the inter-conference smack stuff. But how easily you forget last year, when it was 2 CAA teams that shut down Ga Southern and App State in the late rounds. Who ate crow?

SpiritCymbal
December 1st, 2011, 01:43 PM

Check out what Monken has been quoted as saying about ODU this week...

http://www.statesboroherald.com/section/291/article/36702/

“What a great job Coach (Bobby) Wilder and his staff have done to get that program going and to be in the national picture so quickly,” Monken said. “It’s really just a testament to their hard work and a great job of recruiting. They’ve got talented players. I’m very impressed by their football team. They’re well-coached. They’re a big team. And an outstanding football team.

“To win nine games in a league like the CAA, they’ve certainly done a great job. And they have for the last three years. It’s not like they just all of a sudden happened to have a good team this year. They’ve had a good team. They started out winning and have continued to do so, and they’ve just gotten better.”

Is it coachspeak? Probably. But ole Coach Wilder might want to take a page out of the PR playbook next time he does an interview.

TwoFeathers
December 1st, 2011, 01:45 PM
Check out what Monken has been quoted as saying about ODU this week...

http://www.statesboroherald.com/section/291/article/36702/

Is it coachspeak? Probably. But ole Coach Wilder might want to take a page out of the PR playbook next time he does an interview.

.... and double-check his facts.

TheEagleWay
December 1st, 2011, 01:46 PM
Nobody buys that Monken was being disingenuous about Alabama's players. They are that good. I know... as a Falcon's fan we have Julio Jones and he is in the 2008 Class.

Eagle16
December 1st, 2011, 01:47 PM

Who cares if he's sandbagging? Almost every coach praises the other team and sandbags his team. I'm not sure what parallel you're trying to draw between that and ODU's coach. He did the opposite by talking up his team and downplaying/insulting the opponent. Go ahead and praise your team, but giving the other guys bulletin board material is just dumb.

Skjellyfetti
December 1st, 2011, 01:48 PM
Meh, he should have said 10 years instead of 20. But, his point is still valid... the championships from a decade ago don't have any bearing on the game this Saturday.

Eagle22
December 1st, 2011, 01:49 PM
I usually don't get into the inter-conference smack stuff. But how easily you forget last year, when it was 2 CAA teams that shut down Ga Southern and App State in the late rounds. Who ate crow?

Easily forget ? lol

Dude, around here ... we're still stewing about the Delaware loss. We're probably more upset than UD that they didn't get into the tournament this year. You know the committee would have loved to have had 7-4 UD in the opening round, slated for a 2nd round matchup in Statesboro.

I haven't forgotten how they beat us in 1997. I haven't forgotten what UMASS did in 1998.

Folks around here have long memories (cue the Civil War crowd ;))

SpiritCymbal
December 1st, 2011, 01:50 PM
Meh, he should have said 10 years instead of 20. But, his point is still valid... the championships from a decade ago don't have any bearing on the game this Saturday.

I agree. And that's a great motivational tool to use.......inside your lockerroom. Not in the press for the other team to get their hands on.

Elon made the same mistake last year before playing in Paulson and it definitely gave the team a little extra motivation to put a hurtin on them.

Eagle22
December 1st, 2011, 01:51 PM
Gushing over an opponent to downplay your own expectations is equally obnoxious, IMO. Wost part is that Ga Southern actually could have won that game. My feeling is, if they played 'Bama 10 times, they would win 3-4 of them. Ga Southern doesn't have to sandbag anything, they are that good. Again, just my opinion.

I'm one of the biggest GSU homers ever, and that ^^^ is crazy talk.

Maybe 1

Eagle16
December 1st, 2011, 01:55 PM

William and Mary after they asked for their credentials back for a game that hadn't been played yet. Georgia Southern's staff didn't disrespect Delaware, we just lost the game. See, you have to be disrespectful first to eat crow later.

FargoBison
December 1st, 2011, 01:58 PM

The Tide would win at least 9 of 10. They are the second best team in college football with a bullet. GSU played them tough but it would take a perfect game to beat a team of that caliber.

TwoFeathers
December 1st, 2011, 02:10 PM
I'm looking forward to this game on Saturday. My heart is with ODU, but my gut says it's going to be a rout by Ga Southern. It's the playoffs... 2 weeks off...playing at home... scary Triple Biple offense... ODU's defense is suspect... no playoff experience (ODU)... the Eagles want to make a statement...

It could get ugly.

gsu6trophies
December 1st, 2011, 07:33 PM

Who ate Crow? you mean from all of the threads about how it was going to be an all CAA championship and then EWU won the championship.

ngineer
December 1st, 2011, 07:44 PM
Hope to meet up with again, Baldy, on December 17! (;-)

heath
December 1st, 2011, 08:35 PM
Wilder is a genius, and made his comments for a reason(sarcasm) He is a players coach and that is why they are doing so well in year #3.................how many players on either team have a championship? GSU should win by 2 TDs,but who is the pressure on now?

Reign of Terrier
December 1st, 2011, 08:43 PM
Well, now I have no doubt that GSU will win this game. I don't think it really matters that he said that, and to the rest of the FCS world it's nothing, but I'm willing to bet that Eagle Nation won't take to those comments too nicely.

GSU EAGLES
December 1st, 2011, 09:03 PM
Well, now I have no doubt that GSU will win this game. I don't think it really matters that he said that, and to the rest of the FCS world it's nothing, but I'm willing to bet that Eagle Nation won't take to those comments too nicely.

No we won't. We are 40-3 at Paulson in the playoffs and very proud of all 6 of our titles.

No doubt the word is out and he will be getting an earful from the fans walking into the game.

I hope those boys aren't scared because they are coming into the Lion's den and we are now looking for blood.

AUtigersGSUeagles
December 1st, 2011, 09:18 PM
No we won't. We are 40-3 at Paulson in the playoffs and very proud of all 6 of our titles.

No doubt the word is out and he will be getting an earful from the fans walking into the game.

I hope those boys aren't scared because they are coming into the Lion's den and we are now looking for blood.

And he'll have to walk by that beautiful flag pole with those two flags within the last 20 years right out of the locker room. I'm sure there will be some people down at the bottom of the hill ready to point those out.

Cleets
December 1st, 2011, 09:42 PM
Its OK guys. This is a baby football program, just trying to find its way. And just like any child, it will learn from its mistakes.

Saturday can't get here fast enough after that BOMB...
(Yikes)

ngineer
December 1st, 2011, 11:39 PM
I think GSU should win handily, but one thing about ODU is that they are so new to the game and no one expects them to do anything against GSU that they should come in fairly loose. No expectations to live up to can make for a dangerous team if they have some skill, which it appears they do. So while I fully expect the Eagles to wear them down and control the outcome, I would not be surprised at some early fireworks.

gataeagles06
December 2nd, 2011, 07:41 AM
I think GSU should win handily, but one thing about ODU is that they are so new to the game and no one expects them to do anything against GSU that they should come in fairly loose. No expectations to live up to can make for a dangerous team if they have some skill, which it appears they do. So while I fully expect the Eagles to wear them down and control the outcome, I would not be surprised at some early fireworks.

I agree. When a team is playing loose and has a "we're just happy to be here" attitude, anything can happen (refer to us last year in the playoffs and Alabama game this year). That being said, we'll see what kind of attitude they have when they come out of the locker room Saturday. The Paulson faithful can be intimidating to a young team. I hope they are this weekend!

PAllen
December 2nd, 2011, 08:52 AM

+1

TwoFeathers
December 2nd, 2011, 09:04 AM

I don't mean to be disrespectful, but you guys can't be this insecure. I mean, GSU is like King Kong this year... rolling over opponents with better resumes than this 3-year old ODU program. Why is this getting to you guys so badly? After those 6 flags, I thought you'd be a little more confident, and less likely to bite on the background noise such as the ODU coaches statement. I'm sure he didn't mean to disrespect anyone, he just got his facts wrong. And he's showing his nerves and inexperience.

molly
December 2nd, 2011, 09:32 AM
I'm all for fans using any motivation they can to create a louder and more hostile environment for their opponents. I don't see it as insecurity at all.

boonegoon
December 2nd, 2011, 09:37 AM
I don't mean to be disrespectful, but you guys can't be this insecure. I mean, GSU is like King Kong this year... rolling over opponents with better resumes than this 3-year old ODU program. Why is this getting to you guys so badly? After those 6 flags, I thought you'd be a little more confident, and less likely to bite on the background noise such as the ODU coaches statement. I'm sure he didn't mean to disrespect anyone, he just got his facts wrong. And he's showing his nerves and inexperience.

I don't see it as insecurity either. I would think that any coach will look for any type of extra motivation to fuel his team.

TwoFeathers
December 2nd, 2011, 09:54 AM
PS, the article next to the video interview was actually pretty good.

boogereagle
December 2nd, 2011, 10:38 AM

Not all of us give a rip. Guy did seem kind of nervous to me and it makes for entertaining pre-game messageboard BS, but that's about it. I certainly don't see it as a lack of respect for GSU.

gsu6trophies
December 2nd, 2011, 11:13 AM
It would be cool to interveiw athletes and coaches and get their opinions on how trash talk or board material actually effeats games.