PDA

View Full Version : Norfolk St. fan wants ODU to forfeit game.......

kdinva
November 30th, 2011, 03:12 PM
http://epilot.hamptonroads.com/Olive/ODE/VirginianPilot/LandingPage/LandingPage.aspx?href=VmlyZ2luaWFuUGlsb3QvMjAxMS8x MS8yOQ..&pageno=MTg.&entity=QXIwMTgwNw..&view=ZW50aXR5

12th man lifted ODU
Re “Crosstown showdown: Monarchs rule,” front page, Nov. 27: What went into the record books as a win was really a sham and a disgrace to competitive college sports. This game was equivalent to two boxers competing in the ring with one of them blindfolded.
On nearly every offensive play by Norfolk State, the crowd noise was so high that it drowned out the play-calling. The team simply couldn’t hear the plays. This was not the case when Old Dominion had the ball. You could hear a pin drop when they were on offense. This partisan behavior by ODU fans was reprehensible by design and should be considered a shameful act to control the outcome. The results should be thrown out due to unsportsmanlike conduct by the fans.

Gary Anthony NSU Class of 1965 Chesapeake
-------------
xarguex xflaggedx

I-16Bandit
November 30th, 2011, 03:14 PM
Such a joke.

I guess NSU sits with their legs folded sipping on mimosa's with their pinky stright up.

Give me a damn break.

danefan
November 30th, 2011, 03:15 PM
What a dork.

I feel bad for NSU fans for having to be associated with this.

TwoFeathers
November 30th, 2011, 03:16 PM
Yes, and???

HailSzczur
November 30th, 2011, 03:19 PM
Reading this in decibel thread I really hope that its a joke. Complain about the refs, second guess the coaching, blame the weather okay I can understand all of that, I'm a fan and I do it all the time. But come on, really? The only time you can legitimately complain about a crowd is they are disrespectful and vulgar to the point of not wanting to have children around or when they get like West Virginia or European soccer fans and start fighting and throwing things.

cannonballgsu
November 30th, 2011, 03:19 PM
Wait, is this serious???

TheEagleWay
November 30th, 2011, 03:21 PM
I'm guessing this is the first football game he has ever seen, if so, then I can understand where he is coming from.xlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolx

GeauxLions94
November 30th, 2011, 03:22 PM
http://epilot.hamptonroads.com/Olive/ODE/VirginianPilot/LandingPage/LandingPage.aspx?href=VmlyZ2luaWFuUGlsb3QvMjAxMS8x MS8yOQ..&pageno=MTg.&entity=QXIwMTgwNw..&view=ZW50aXR5

12th man lifted ODU
Re “Crosstown showdown: Monarchs rule,” front page, Nov. 27: What went into the record books as a win was really a sham and a disgrace to competitive college sports. This game was equivalent to two boxers competing in the ring with one of them blindfolded.
On nearly every offensive play by Norfolk State, the crowd noise was so high that it drowned out the play-calling. The team simply couldn’t hear the plays. This was not the case when Old Dominion had the ball. You could hear a pin drop when they were on offense. This partisan behavior by ODU fans was reprehensible by design and should be considered a shameful act to control the outcome. The results should be thrown out due to unsportsmanlike conduct by the fans.

-------------
xarguex xflaggedx

This could be the funniest, and most idiotic, thing I've ever read ... apparently, this guy spends too much time watching LifeTime and the Oxygen network instead of football at the college and professional levels. xnutsx xcrazyx xbawlingx

Bearkat-Backer
November 30th, 2011, 03:23 PM
This has to be a joke...right?

Sam_Kats
November 30th, 2011, 03:33 PM
LSU, Clemson & A&M has never won a game in their histories, according to this dude's logic.

BEAR
November 30th, 2011, 03:34 PM
I don't know...according to some Montana fans this is exactly what UCA should expect in Missoula! xlolx Either way I don't think you'll hear any Bear complaining about fan noise, even if it does cause the team to mess up snap counts etc. That is one sad dude. xlolx

kdinva
November 30th, 2011, 03:36 PM
........like MEAC and SWAC home games are quiet.......

dgtw
November 30th, 2011, 03:39 PM
Please tell me this was in The Onion.

Gringer1
November 30th, 2011, 03:40 PM

12th man lifted ODU

-------------
xarguex xflaggedx

http://www.conventionofassassins.org/blog/postingImages/cat-highDudeWait,what.jpg

Panther93
November 30th, 2011, 03:42 PM
That looks like a sure fire first ballot hall-of-famer into the Ridiculous Letters to the Editor HOF.

AppStsGr8
November 30th, 2011, 04:14 PM
I thought it was a joke at first since I couldn't imagine any football fan believing that opposing fans should be quiet enough to hear the snap count. I did find the letter in the Hampton Roads paper's online opinion section.

I don't suppose this fellow has ever heard of the "home field advantage" - think LSU Tiger Stadium rocking enough to trip seismographs - think Texas A&M and the 12th Man. I personally love watching home fans knowledgeable enough to shut up when their team is on offense and cheer loudly for their defense.

fencer24
November 30th, 2011, 04:16 PM
Football is so uncivilized. What with all the rowdy low class hooligans, the incessant noise, and the violence on the field, it just makes for a most unpleasant experience. Certainly wouldn't want to have my yacht club meeting there!

asumike83
November 30th, 2011, 04:17 PM
I'm still not sure that it wasn't a joke. An ODU fan possibly?

Either way, quite amusing.

Professor Chaos
November 30th, 2011, 04:21 PM
I'm still not sure that it wasn't a joke. An ODU fan possibly?

Either way, quite amusing.
I agree, I don't think it is possible for anyone to be so naive. It's someone either trying to make NSU fans look especially bad or ODU fans look especially good (or both).

Vitojr130
November 30th, 2011, 04:24 PM
Come on, everybody. Football is to be played in a nonpartisan atmosphere with no showing of homefield advantage whatsoever. Every fan is supposed to sit down and be quiet. Have any of you ever even been to a college football game? It's the quietest, most relaxing place on Earth on gameday!

All joking aside... not entirely sure what this man was thinking...

inpsite1919
November 30th, 2011, 04:38 PM
This is a joke.... Has to be...

fencer24
November 30th, 2011, 04:43 PM
Come on, everybody. Football is to be played in a nonpartisan atmosphere with no showing of homefield advantage whatsoever. Every fan is supposed to sit down and be quiet. Have any of you ever even been to a college football game? It's the quietest, most relaxing place on Earth on gameday!

I think that the Weber State fans are so polite, they don't even show up so they won't make noise getting to their seats.

GATA_Eagles
November 30th, 2011, 04:44 PM
Let's send them to Paulson then if they are worried about fan noise... :)

ngineer
November 30th, 2011, 07:01 PM
Strange letter. Where has this guy been living? Without seeing (or hearing the game) I assume all the 'noise" came from the fans and not horns or noisemakers, which I understand to be banned by NCAA regs. Our band used to always play when the opposing team had the ball when I was in school, but the kibbash was put to that many years ago. I know the high schools in our area have their bands playing full tilt whenever the opponent has the ball (and our hs band has almost 300 musicians, so that can be considerable), and I'm unaware of any complaints or rules prohibiting this.

Libertine
November 30th, 2011, 07:21 PM
I assume all the 'noise" came from the fans and not horns or noisemakers, which I understand to be banned by NCAA regs.

This is not actually true. Artificial noisemakers are disallowed during gameplay for "persons subject to the rules of the game" ie., team personnel, public address crew, the band, etc., but NOT for fans in the stands. Thundersticks and vuvuzelas, for example, are common appearances in the stands at a lot of FCS games.

Bearkats94
November 30th, 2011, 07:30 PM
If I am blind and deaf can I bring noise makers?xlolx

james_lawfirm
November 30th, 2011, 08:17 PM
This is a joke.... Has to be...

Not sure about that. Did anyone see the Norfolk State v. Bethune Cookman game about a month & a half ago on ESPN2? The fans there made little noise, course, there weren't many of them. So, based on that, I could see a Norfolk State fan making such a comment. 'Course, they could have brought an equal number of fans (I understand NSU & ODU are both from Norfolk) to the playoff game. That way both could have made some noise. I take it that NSU brought significantly fewer fans. I do see a remedy here, but having ODU fans be quiet is not it.

Poor guy would probably go apoplectic if NSU ever made it out to Wa-Griz Stadium.

towsonx
November 30th, 2011, 08:17 PM
On nearly every offensive play by Norfolk State, the crowd noise was so high that it drowned out the play-calling.

It sounded like a joke when first read, but it is on website (hamtonroads.com, pilot.com?) that makes it appear to be real.

But judging buy the guys age? Class of 1965? so 21-23 year old in 1965 and at least 66 - 68 years old now? Could be older.

One can understand why some cranky old-timer could comment on the noise.

http://hichristina.com/calendar_pics/crazy_grandpa.jpg

It would be kinda funny hearing a Referee call a game for crowd noise and make the host team forfeit as a result. I wonder how the crowd would react to that? LOL......

http://hamptonroads.com/2011/11/12th-man-lifted-odu
http://pilotonline.com/

james_lawfirm
November 30th, 2011, 08:22 PM
This is not actually true. Artificial noisemakers are disallowed during gameplay for "persons subject to the rules of the game" ie., team personnel, public address crew, the band, etc., but NOT for fans in the stands. Thundersticks and vuvuzelas, for example, are common appearances in the stands at a lot of FCS games.

The NCAA rules are different for playoff games. The rules limit the public address system, bands, cheerleaders AND the fans much more during playoff games than during regular season games where those rules are not in place.

WileECoyote06
November 30th, 2011, 08:31 PM
Not sure about that. Did anyone see the Norfolk State v. Bethune Cookman game about a month & a half ago on ESPN2? The fans there made little noise, course, there weren't many of them. So, based on that, I could see a Norfolk State fan making such a comment. 'Course, they could have brought an equal number of fans (I understand NSU & ODU are both from Norfolk) to the playoff game. That way both could have made some noise. I take it that NSU brought significantly fewer fans. I do see a remedy here, but having ODU fans be quiet is not it.

Poor guy would probably go apoplectic if NSU ever made it out to Wa-Griz Stadium.

Well of course they couldn't bring as many fans as ODU. That's the point of bidding for playoff games, and playing at home. . .which Norfolk State didn't do.

big dummy.

eaglewraith
November 30th, 2011, 08:32 PM

The NCAA rules are different for playoff games. The rules limit the public address system, bands, cheerleaders AND the fans much more during playoff games than during regular season games where those rules are not in place.

The Socon however has a policy against artificial noisemakers, as App fans find out every time they try to bring those dumb Thundersticks into our stadium.

Hammerhead
November 30th, 2011, 08:33 PM
Noisemakers are not allowed, although the rule may not always be enforced. According to the 2010 championship handbook:

"2. Artificial Noisemakers. Artificial noisemakers (e.g., thunder sticks, cow bells, air horns) shall not be permitted inside the venue, and such instruments shall be removed from the playing and spectator areas (emphasis added) at the request of the NCAA game representative."

http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/champ_handbooks/football/2010/10_1_football.pdf

BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n
November 30th, 2011, 08:53 PM
As a recent graduate of NSU (yes, Virginia I went to school there, MS Computer Science, 2010), I was disgusted to see this comment. It appears he has not been to a game of this magnitude.

superman7515
November 30th, 2011, 09:23 PM
1) Yes this was a real letter to the newspaper of a real complaint from a real Norfolk State grad.
2) This has been discussed quite a bit on the MEAC boards and the Norfolk State fans are simply embarrassed and shocked by the ridiculousness of these comments.
3) Yes, HBCU games are quiet during the game. Feel free to ask around. The majority (not all) show up sometime in the mid to late 2nd quarter, they watch the band at halftime, grab a bite to eat and head home.

None of that applies though if there is rain or temperatures below 62 degrees, in which case there's no such thing as "the majority" at the game, because the majority stay home. Just one of the many cultural issues HBCU's are becoming more active in trying to market away from and overcome. Hopefully as the younger generation that has grown up with a more modern view of athletics becomes more involved, this is something they will be able to change. Until then, the Mr. Anthony's of the HBCU world are not helping the outside opinions of HBCU athletics.

Hammerhead
November 30th, 2011, 09:38 PM
The NFL used to stop the play clock and/or call penalties when there was so much noise that the visiting team's offense couldn't hear the QB signals. I think that started in the late 80s and ended a few years later.

dgtw
November 30th, 2011, 09:48 PM
I used to work with a black guy that said he didn't care about the band or the show, that he went to games to see football.

superman7515
November 30th, 2011, 10:04 PM
Congratulations on working with a black guy... I think?

AppChicago
November 30th, 2011, 11:10 PM
Jesus, guys. Would you keep it down? I'm trying to read about football.

GAD
December 1st, 2011, 06:38 AM
1) Yes this was a real letter to the newspaper of a real complaint from a real Norfolk State grad.
2) This has been discussed quite a bit on the MEAC boards and the Norfolk State fans are simply embarrassed and shocked by the ridiculousness of these comments.
3) Yes, HBCU games are quiet during the game. Feel free to ask around. The majority (not all) show up sometime in the mid to late 2nd quarter, they watch the band at halftime, grab a bite to eat and head home.

None of that applies though if there is rain or temperatures below 62 degrees, in which case there's no such thing as "the majority" at the game, because the majority stay home. Just one of the many cultural issues HBCU's are becoming more active in trying to market away from and overcome. Hopefully as the younger generation that has grown up with a more modern view of athletics becomes more involved, this is something they will be able to change. Until then, the Mr. Anthony's of the HBCU world are not helping the outside opinions of HBCU athletics.

That must be those east coast HBCUs cause on the gulf coast its a differernt story,we show up (check out all the attendance records we set) make noise and enjoy the game. Don't try and judge all HBCUs by what one guy says

superman7515
December 1st, 2011, 06:55 AM
I'm not judging them but what one guy says, I'm judging it by going to a few games at Delaware State and spending a couple of seasons on the MEAC boards and hearing them complain over and over that the majority of their fans are there for the band and not the team, that they don't show up until very late and leave very early, and are more interested in a burger or fish then the score on the field.

Side note since you mentioned attendance, I see that this years Bayou Classic between Southern & Grambling was the least attended in it's 37 year history (including after Hurricane Katrina) and attendance has been steadily declining and that the Turkey Day Classic may be going the way of the dodo now that attendance has dropped below 20k for Alabama State/Tuskegee. Any particular reason for the recent declines?

Apphole
December 1st, 2011, 06:59 AM
Let's send them to Paulson then if they are worried about fan noise... :)

Or the four FCS stadiums that are much louder....

(NDSU, UNI, Montana, App)

eaglewraith
December 1st, 2011, 07:00 AM
Or the four FCS stadiums that are much louder....

(NDSU, UNI, Montana, App)

If we're not loud then why does App have problems in Paulson.

Apphole
December 1st, 2011, 07:29 AM

It's all relative buddy.

ThompsonThe
December 1st, 2011, 07:52 AM

I always heard that it was those beer bottles being thrown at the players. They can probably take the lit molotov cocktails coming at them and the shotgun blasts going off in the back ground, the chickens running around , the holes in the field, the hog callers, the drainage ditch they call a beautiful creek, but the thought of all that beer going to waste is just too much.

eaglewraith
December 1st, 2011, 08:17 AM
I always heard that it was those beer bottles being thrown at the players. They can probably take the lit molotov cocktails coming at them and the shotgun blasts going off in the back ground, the chickens running around , the holes in the field, the hog callers, the drainage ditch they call a beautiful creek, but the thought of all that beer going to waste is just too much.

You honestly think we'd be throwing FULL beer bottles?

eaglewraith
December 1st, 2011, 08:17 AM
It's all relative buddy.

Could it be the Paulson Stadium effect?

Apphole
December 1st, 2011, 08:29 AM
Could it be the Paulson Stadium effect?

The Rock is significantly louder than Paulson. If there is any effect, it comes from poor air quality of Stinkboro. App players are used to breathing clean mountain air. It's no surprise that they might have trouble during aerobic exercise when the air in Stinkboro is 10% Oxygen, 40% Carbon Dioxide, 20% Red neck fart, 10% gnats, 15% FUPA sweat vapor, and 5% slutty GaSo sorority queef
:pumpuke:

ThompsonThe
December 1st, 2011, 08:37 AM
You honestly think we'd be throwing FULL beer bottles?

Understand that the FULL ones go farther.

eaglewraith
December 1st, 2011, 08:42 AM
Understand that the FULL ones go farther.

That's what water bottles are for.

We don't waste beer.

BEAR
December 1st, 2011, 09:23 AM
The Rock is significantly louder than Paulson. If there is any effect, it comes from poor air quality of Stinkboro. App players are used to breathing clean mountain air. It's no surprise that they might have trouble during aerobic exercise when the air in Stinkboro is 10% Oxygen, 40% Carbon Dioxide, 20% Red neck fart, 10% gnats, 15% FUPA sweat vapor, and 5% slutty GaSo sorority queef
:pumpuke:

POD- Post of the Day! xlolx xlolx xlolx