PDA

View Full Version : ESPN out to kill the FCS Playoffs?

Travelinneer
November 29th, 2011, 11:24 AM
With ESPN's refusal to televise or syndicate the FCS playoff games, would it be plausible that they want to protect their BCS partner's cash cows? Why else televise only the sparsely attended JMU/EKU game instead of the sold out Norfolk State/Old Dominion game?

TheEagleWay
November 29th, 2011, 11:26 AM
Not surprising, after all this is a big Conference Championship weekend in the FBS. Don't worry, there will be plenty of coverage as the playoffs progress.

Travelinneer
November 29th, 2011, 11:29 AM
The only TV coverage per the newspaper out of Bangor, Maine will be the Championship game. Checkout the positing on www.appfan.com. Disgusting.

Twentysix
November 29th, 2011, 11:30 AM
No lol. http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/797796/Screen_shot_2011-11-20_at_10.39.46_AM.png

The quarters and the semis are on espn and espn2 and espnu

FargoBison
November 29th, 2011, 11:31 AM
No, ESPN just wants to force more ISPs to add ESPN3. This has nothing to do with killing the FCS playoffs.

jmufan999
November 29th, 2011, 11:32 AM
It's really that they just don't care about the FCS playoffs. If the FCS died, they wouldn't be happy or sad. They'd just find something else to cover.

Travelinneer
November 29th, 2011, 11:33 AM
Notice the word "or" was used, not "and"

Twentysix
November 29th, 2011, 11:35 AM
Notice the word "or" was used, not "and"

Or was used because those games span 2 days. one timeslot gets tv one only gets espn3.

That changes nothing, that newspaper is wrong

RichH2
November 29th, 2011, 11:35 AM
No, ESPN just wants to force more ISPs to add ESPN3. This has nothing to do with killing the FCS playoffs.

Exactly, I have Dish . I get the 4 ESPN channels plus 4 more alternates rarely if ever used. They could show games on at least Dish if they wanted to. Just a quick look at crawl on espn and you can see the numerous games on espn3, pressure to have fans contact ISPs to include

Twentysix
November 29th, 2011, 11:37 AM
I don't have tv, its way to expensive. I am a way bigger fan of espn3 :D.

SeattleGriz
November 29th, 2011, 11:38 AM

This is my idea, then why not let the fans order the game via gameplan, give them a code to also get access via ESPN3.com and let them try it out for a week. I really like ESPN3. I have been watching some of the other games I missed this last week. You let the fans watch ESPN3 for a week, they might start thinking they really need to have it and then get on their ISP's.

LakesBison
November 29th, 2011, 11:38 AM
I want to kill the FCS and move the big boys up to FBS and the rest back down to D2 like it should be.

Grizzaholic
November 29th, 2011, 11:39 AM
I don't have tv, its way to expensive. I am a way bigger fan of espn3 :D.

Shut your hole there...I was just sort of warming up to your posts...and now it is back to dislike.

eaglemachine
November 29th, 2011, 11:39 AM
It's really that they just don't care about the FCS playoffs. If the FCS died, they wouldn't be happy or sad. They'd just find something else to cover.

You are acting like the cover it now...which they don't.

GannonFan
November 29th, 2011, 11:40 AM
Dumb thread. ESPN would have to care about the FCS playoffs before they would want to kill them. There'll be games on non-ESPN3 ESPN stations next round and the round after that so even the premise of this thread is wrong. And really, we can see every single FCS playoff game this year - just like last year. For people to be complaining about this and wanting to go back to the dark ages of the I-AA playoffs when you were lucky to have a local feed for your own playoff team is beyond me. We've never had it so good and yet people gripe.

BEAR
November 29th, 2011, 11:43 AM
I just want to watch more exciting poker action.

asumike83
November 29th, 2011, 11:43 AM
From a strictly ASU standpoint, I really don't mind the games not being on ESPN/ESPN2. I plan to be at all the games regardless and it should actually help with attendance. Not being able to see the other playoff games on TV is pretty weak though.

eagle07
November 29th, 2011, 11:45 AM
"Occupy Bristol" the next big thing! j/k

Twentysix
Shut your hole there...I was just sort of warming up to your posts...and now it is back to dislike.

How will I ever get through the day without your loving caress.

Twentysix
From a strictly ASU standpoint, I really don't mind the games not being on ESPN/ESPN2. I plan to be at all the games regardless and it should actually help with attendance. Not being able to see the other playoff games on TV is pretty weak though.

Aren't the ASU games on pbs anyways.

asumike83
November 29th, 2011, 11:48 AM
Aren't the ASU games on pbs anyways.

Some of the regular season games are if it's the SoCon game of the week but not playoffs. ESPN has exclusive rights and is not syndicating any of the postseason to local stations unfortunately. That would be great!

biggie
November 29th, 2011, 11:52 AM
Saw PTI talking about how the rest of BCS season doesn't matter this year, maybe someone should try to get them behind FCS playoffs.

Cleets
November 29th, 2011, 11:54 AM
Dumb thread. ESPN would have to care about the FCS playoffs before they would want to kill them. There'll be games on non-ESPN3 ESPN stations next round and the round after that so even the premise of this thread is wrong. And really, we can see every single FCS playoff game this year - just like last year. For people to be complaining about this and wanting to go back to the dark ages of the I-AA playoffs when you were lucky to have a local feed for your own playoff team is beyond me. We've never had it so good and yet people gripe.

+1

Twentysix
November 29th, 2011, 12:13 PM
Some of the regular season games are if it's the SoCon game of the week but not playoffs. ESPN has exclusive rights and is not syndicating any of the postseason to local stations unfortunately. That would be great!

:\ I was joking. PBS... xeyebrowx

asumike83
November 29th, 2011, 12:19 PM
:\ I was joking. PBS... xeyebrowx

Guess I didn't catch the sarcasm.

Everybody got so bent out of shape about PBS, but who cares? If it comes through my TV and I can watch the game, I could care less what station I have to turn to.

DFW HOYA
November 29th, 2011, 12:30 PM

ESPN's been trying to put the Big East out of business, why not the playoffs as well? Of 34 bowl games, 32 are controlled by one network, and that's where their attention is.

JSUBison
November 29th, 2011, 12:32 PM
Guess I didn't catch the sarcasm.

Everybody got so bent out of shape about PBS, but who cares? If it comes through my TV and I can watch the game, I could care less what station I have to turn to.

You say that now, but just wait. One of these days they will interrupt the 4th quarter of a nail biter with one of those pledge drives with those geezers in the background sitting next to a bank of phones waiting for you to support your local PBS station.

mainejeff
November 29th, 2011, 12:35 PM
I'd like to see CBS or NBC give it a try with the FCS playoffs. They both have cable sports networks........I think it could be a good niche for them.xthumbsupx

GannonFan
November 29th, 2011, 12:42 PM
Remember too, the NCAA packages all the non FBS football and non March Madness as one package - whoever does the FCS playoffs has to do all the other stuff.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 29th, 2011, 01:00 PM
Stop it guys. The Renee Richards story needs to air sometime, why not during the FCS playoffs? xrolleyesx

Dgreenwell3
November 29th, 2011, 01:04 PM
Stop it guys. The Renee Richards story needs to air sometime, why not during the FCS playoffs? xrolleyesx

If some actually believe that espn is trying to kill the fcs playoffs...that means you feel the bcs feels threatened by fcs football. They aren't. Let's get real people whether it be nice to say or not, outside of app state I dont see anyone who should be moving up.

Big Dawg
November 29th, 2011, 01:25 PM
ESPN may not be trying to kill the FCS playoffs...but they could damn sure do a better job promoting it.

alvinkayak6
November 29th, 2011, 02:40 PM
If some actually believe that espn is trying to kill the fcs playoffs...that means you feel the bcs feels threatened by fcs football. They aren't. Let's get real people whether it be nice to say or not, outside of app state I dont see anyone who should be moving up.

We are plenty real. And E$PN may not be trying to "kill" the FCS, but certainly wants to marginalize it. You only see headlines for the top BCS teams because that is where the money is. Alabama, LSU, and (maybe) Oklahoma State. Time to build the narrative up just like they did 2 weeks in advance of this year's regular season game. If you think there is not a definitive narrative, then you clearly did not major in marketing strategy and/or have been living in a cave.

ThompsonThe
November 29th, 2011, 03:07 PM
16283Holy Crap Bat Man !!!
xbangxxbangxxbangxxbangxxbangxxbangxxbangxxbangxxb angxxbangxxbangxxbangxxbangxxbangxxbangxxbangxxban gxxbangxxbangxxbangxxbangxxbangxxbangx

Why wouldn't ESPN buy up the FCS rights and then NOT use them. It assures that there would NEVER be a conflict and that FBS would rate that much higher. They may not be worried about it, but why take any chances?

Would think that the BCS and all the Bowl games would contribute monies to that. Wipe out ANY competition, nothing to lose, all to gain.

All FCS schools need to leave the NCAA in football. Nothing worth being in the NCAA for. The NCAA takes away any potential of the schools making any money in the playoffs. If they wanted to boost FCS football like they originally said they would do, they would have the games televised and promote the heck out of them. If they were looking out for the FCS they would not let ESPN or any group dictate NOT showing the games on television. We are being screwed.

Seems like 95% of the public, or more, want playoff games in college football. Guess they think that a playoff must be a threat. If it caught on, it could either help the FCS, hurt the FBS, or at least make a huge out cry for FBS playoffs. If that happened, many a fat cat Bowl game person would lose millions. FBS conference officials and individual FBS administrators would lose some of these plush trips, and probably money. Not to mention ESPN or another network lmight lose Bowl ratings.

DFW HOYA
November 29th, 2011, 03:11 PM
All FCS schools need to leave the NCAA in football. Nothing worth being in the NCAA for.

The NAIA is not in anyone's future.

Apphole
November 29th, 2011, 03:14 PM
FCS=Forfeits Coverage Systematically

I’m so glad our leaders got the ball rolling already. Are there any more hard-headed AARP App fans left? I hope not. It’s varsity time

ThompsonThe
November 29th, 2011, 03:20 PM
Makes you also wonder who got paid off for moving the National Championship game to Frisco.

danefan
November 29th, 2011, 03:21 PM
Makes you also wonder who got paid off for moving the National Championship game to Frisco.

No wondering about it. The NCAA got paid.

Hammerhead
November 29th, 2011, 03:31 PM
North Dakota TV stations used to show NDSU playoff games (home and away) on TV 30 years ago when they were in D-II.

unknown-swac
November 29th, 2011, 03:35 PM
They don't televise it because the ratings would suck.. not because they want to "kill" it. People, realize in the grand scheme of things outside of those of us who have ties to FCS football, the rest of the country couldn't care less unless there are no other games on.

ThompsonThe
November 29th, 2011, 03:52 PM
They could start a buzz about the games by televising them all. Some people would be interested in seeing teams competing in a playoff setting. Win or go home, week after week, they could pick a favorite or certain players to watch and get the ratings up. Beats what we have now --- NOTHING.

At the very least ESPN should have to allow local TV to televise the games if they want. They would get paid for it. If they could make money, why wouldn't they unless they had another reason?

clenz
November 29th, 2011, 04:41 PM
All of you butt hurt that it isn't on ESPNU....you do realize ESPN3 is available in more homes nationwide that ESPNU is...right?

GannonFan
November 29th, 2011, 04:42 PM
North Dakota TV stations used to show NDSU playoff games (home and away) on TV 30 years ago when they were in D-II.

And sometimes Delaware would get shown on local tv as well (I still remember watching games against YSU in the 70's and that game at Montana in '93 and the Marshall games). The point being, though, is that I could never see any of the other playoff games because if they were shown on tv at all, it was local. Now, I get to watch every single playoff game - heck, I watched Central Arkansas and Tenn Tech last week - in that regard, we've never had it so good. National coverage of every single playoff game - gee, what a bummer.

Professor Chaos
November 29th, 2011, 04:55 PM
They could start a buzz about the games by televising them all. Some people would be interested in seeing teams competing in a playoff setting. Win or go home, week after week, they could pick a favorite or certain players to watch and get the ratings up. Beats what we have now --- NOTHING.

At the very least ESPN should have to allow local TV to televise the games if they want. They would get paid for it. If they could make money, why wouldn't they unless they had another reason?
I think the vast majority of FBS exclusive fans would be shocked at the level of football played this weekend in the FCS playoffs and the number of games that are played with such a high intensity on a single day. I wish ESPN would do what CBS used to do with March Madness and show regionalized matchups on just one network while having a shadow box on screen with the time and score for every other current game. As CBS did if there was a game coming down to the wire while the other games were going through normal action the whole country shifts to that one game. I have no idea the extra resources that would be necessary for this but I can't imagine it would be much above and beyond what they already do since they have production crews at all the games and the studio they use for the halftime show that they could use as a switchboard.

One of my favorite days of the year are the first Thursday and Friday of March Madness where there are multiple high level intense basketball games going on all day long. Saturday will be exactly like that in a football sense and it's a shame the casual sports fans who get sucked into events like March Madness aren't aware of it because the big sports outlets don't acknowledge the existence of it.

Dgreenwell3
November 29th, 2011, 05:23 PM
We are plenty real. And E$PN may not be trying to "kill" the FCS, but certainly wants to marginalize it. You only see headlines for the top BCS teams because that is where the money is. Alabama, LSU, and (maybe) Oklahoma State. Time to build the narrative up just like they did 2 weeks in advance of this year's regular season game. If you think there is not a definitive narrative, then you clearly did not major in marketing strategy and/or have been living in a cave.

It's just a fact of life that the bcs schools will draw more attention than our schools. I am sorry if that hurts your feelings but it's a reality. It isn't because espn hates fcs football it's that the average fan just honestly doesn't care for the most part about fcs football.

Twentysix
November 29th, 2011, 05:32 PM
And sometimes Delaware would get shown on local tv as well (I still remember watching games against YSU in the 70's and that game at Montana in '93 and the Marshall games). The point being, though, is that I could never see any of the other playoff games because if they were shown on tv at all, it was local. Now, I get to watch every single playoff game - heck, I watched Central Arkansas and Tenn Tech last week - in that regard, we've never had it so good. World Wide coverage of every single playoff game - gee, what a bummer.

fify, people who cant sleep in belgium can watch!

ThompsonThe
November 29th, 2011, 05:45 PM
It's just a fact of life that the bcs schools will draw more attention than our schools. I am sorry if that hurts your feelings but it's a reality. It isn't because espn hates fcs football it's that the average fan just honestly doesn't care for the most part about fcs football.

How many people either go to school, are graduates, or fans of FCS schools?
You certainly have as many people interested in seeing the FCS playoffs as you would some low level MAC weekday game.
There is no reason not to televise the games on television. Putting it on ESPN3 is fine, but it needs both.
Cannot believe some of you seem just fine with not having the playoffs televised. Guess you have given up. BCS has won then.
Are we going to have to wear a patch saying FCS from now on?

MTfan4life
November 29th, 2011, 06:07 PM
[QUOTE]The Montana vs. Central Arkansas FCS playoff game will be broadcast on ESPN GamePlan. (This is a pay-per-view service).[QUOTE]

MontanaGrizzlies Facebook (http://www.facebook.com/pages/Montana-Grizzlies/24421531681)

Dgreenwell3
November 29th, 2011, 06:36 PM
You certainly have as many people interested in seeing the FCS playoffs as you would some low level MAC weekday game.
There is no reason not to televise the games on television. Putting it on ESPN3 is fine, but it needs both.
Cannot believe some of you seem just fine with not having the playoffs televised. Guess you have given up. BCS has won then.

Not my point my point is that espn is a business and right now during what is a busy time for them I am sure, they have decided they get better ratings without the fcs playoffs before the semis. Espn3 is no joke though; I use it all the time, be glad we get that.
It's not giving up, it's reality that beyond the fans of fcs schools you really don't have a large viewership of non fans.

Grizalltheway
November 29th, 2011, 06:43 PM

Dude, comparing something like this to the Holocaust is just asinine. Grow up. xrolleyesxxsmhx

ThompsonThe
November 29th, 2011, 07:24 PM
So you do not think that the BCS act like a bunch of Nazis?

Those unwilling to know or remember the past are certain to repeat it.

Grizalltheway
November 29th, 2011, 07:36 PM
http://www.threadbombing.com/data/media/54/john_stewart_facepalm.gif

ThompsonThe
November 29th, 2011, 07:47 PM
So, is that a picture of your boyfriend?

JoeyKahler
November 29th, 2011, 07:48 PM
Pay per view bull**** (http://www.nbcmontana.com/sports/29884126/detail.html) So I guess ESPN changed their mind, but only to a PPV option...

unknown-swac
November 29th, 2011, 08:07 PM
Not my point my point is that espn is a business and right now during what is a busy time for them I am sure, they have decided they get better ratings without the fcs playoffs before the semis. Espn3 is no joke though; I use it all the time, be glad we get that.
It's not giving up, it's reality that beyond the fans of fcs schools you really don't have a large viewership of non fans.

Precisely

Grizalltheway
November 29th, 2011, 08:10 PM
So, is that a picture of your boyfriend?

Are you really not getting why that's such a ridiculous, blown-out-of-proportion analogy?

ThompsonThe
November 29th, 2011, 08:17 PM
Do you realize that every year the BCS puts FCS down another level? We used to at least have some football games on television.
Do you intend to invite people over to watch your computer? Much rather watch games on TV than my computer. They have now
got people that follow the FCS to believe that they are "not worthy enough" to have their football games on television. Where is
the NCAA in all of this? Are not all schools suppossed to be treated equally? Are fans of some schools 2nd class citizens?

Grizalltheway
November 29th, 2011, 08:33 PM
Do you realize that every year the BCS puts FCS down another level? We used to at least have some football games on television.
Do you intend to invite people over to watch your computer? Much rather watch games on TV than my computer. They have now
got people that follow the FCS to believe that they are "not worthy enough" to have their football games on television. Where is
the NCAA in all of this? Are not all schools suppossed to be treated equally? Are fans of some schools 2nd class citizens?

No, I intend to be there in person. xthumbsupx

I've also seen a concentration camp in person, and am able to recognize that the BCS, while irritating, hasn't slaughtered 6 million people. Perspective man, perspective. xpeacex

GAD
November 29th, 2011, 08:33 PM
I say it all the time INTEREST until people in fcs all do what ODU did this past weekend the playoffs will never get better coverage

if local folks don't want to watch what would make me believe people across the country who most likely have never even heard of the schools involved would want to watch

ThompsonThe
November 29th, 2011, 08:55 PM
No, I intend to be there in person. xthumbsupx

I've also seen a concentration camp in person, and am able to recognize that the BCS, while irritating, hasn't slaughtered 6 million people. Perspective man, perspective. xpeacex

Good for you getting to go. Not everyone can. And yes, I have seen a concentration camp, and known people that were in them.
If you are afraid to talk about them, then we will have them again before you know it. You cannot change the world by closing your
eyes to it, you just aid those that want to do you harm.

FargoBison
November 29th, 2011, 09:01 PM

We have the same amount of national TV games as last year. I watch ESPN3 on my TV all the time, all you need is the right laptop(one with an HDMI port) and an HDMI cord..plug it into your TV and you have a broadcast picture quality game on your TV.

Cleets
November 29th, 2011, 10:07 PM

That's where it belongs in my opinion... Frisco is PERFECT
Tennessee is a home game for too many schools

dgtw
November 29th, 2011, 10:10 PM
I saw the EKU-JMU game on some cable station, can't remember which one.

FargoBison
November 29th, 2011, 10:11 PM
I saw the EKU-JMU game on some cable station, can't remember which one.

That would be ESPNU.

appmaj
November 30th, 2011, 07:53 AM
ESPN controls college sports. As an organization ESPN does what is best for ESPN. Putting te FCSon the back burner helps advance their SEC agenda.

asumike83
November 30th, 2011, 08:32 AM
The first round of the playoffs fell on rivalry weekend. We really cannot expect too much FCS coverage with Michigan/Ohio State, UGA/GT, Auburn/Alabama and LSU/Arkansas to compete with. The second round falls on the same weekend as the conference championship games, which is also going to be a point of emphasis for ESPN. They are a business and the FCS is not what attracts viewers, simple as that.

The quarterfinals, semifinals and national championship game will all be televised on the ESPN networks. Would I love to see all of the early round games without having to stream it online or buy it on ESPN game plan? Absolutely, but I can't argue with their reasoning from a business perspective.

bluehenbillk
November 30th, 2011, 09:08 AM
ESPN is showing 5 of the 19 playoff games on their family of networks - that ties last year as still the most nationally-televised FCS playoff games in a season.