PDA

View Full Version : Biggest Upset on Saturday

Mattymc727
November 27th, 2011, 12:44 PM
Which game would be the biggest upset if the underdog won on Dec. 3rd?

Grizalltheway
November 27th, 2011, 12:48 PM
This may be a homer vote, but I have to go with UCA @ Montana. Mostly based on the Southland's history in Missoula, but also on the fact that we've been playing lights-out our last few games, and seem to be peaking at the right moment. I guess Stony Brook over Sam would be a close second for me.

Cleets
November 27th, 2011, 12:49 PM
Out of respect to Number one Sam Houston...
wouldn't the biggest upset be Stony Brook / Sam Houston

Cleets
November 27th, 2011, 12:52 PM
I think JMU has a bout a 1% chance of winning against NDSU
I've got a $5 bet going that they don't score a point in first half

I don't see JMU winning that game at all... so that would be an upset in my opinion

Mattymc727
November 27th, 2011, 12:58 PM
I added a poll

UNIFanSince1983
November 27th, 2011, 12:59 PM
I think if any of the top 4 seeds lose it would be a big upset.

Mattymc727
November 27th, 2011, 01:22 PM
I think it has to be the second place southland team winning at Wa-Griz. ODU over GSU and JMU over NDSU would be huge upsets, but the CAA has a better shot than the southland does.

Green26
November 27th, 2011, 01:31 PM
Yes, UCA over Montana would be a big upset, but don't think it's going to happen. Teams from UCA's haven't had much success In Missoula in the playoffs. Below is what was posted on egriz. Many of those teams were much higher rated than UCA is. On the other hand, anything is possible.

2009-SFA 51-0 W
2008-TX St 31-13 W
2006-Mcneese 31-6 W
2004-NW St 56-7 W
2004-SHSU 34-13 W
2003-SHSU 38-14 W
2001-NW St 28-19 W
2001-SHSU 49-24 W
1997-SFA 24-10 W
1996-N St 48-3 W
1995-SFA 70-14 W

Avg margine of victory-31pts

Cleets
November 27th, 2011, 01:35 PM
SF Austin in there three games in Montana have score 24 points and given up 145
That's an average game score of 48-8

those have been tough losses

UNIFanSince1983
November 27th, 2011, 01:40 PM
The biggest upset would have to be Stony Brook over SHSU. While if any other team in the top 4 went down it would be a big upset too. I just think if the Big South champ were to go into the #1 team in the country and win it would be the biggest upset. I mean JMU or ODU winning would be a shock, but those are good teams from a good conference. A second place would be UCA beating the Griz in Missoula. UCA is a good team, but the Griz are playing as good as any team right now and Wa-Griz is a wasteland for a lot of good teams.

blueballs
November 27th, 2011, 01:42 PM
If SHSU is truly the top team in the country Stony Brook going there and defeating them with SHSU coming off a bye would be one of the greatest upsets in FCS history.

BEAR
November 27th, 2011, 01:44 PM
I agree with posters here but I'll throw in one variable. Montana has never played UCA in the FCS. Will that make a difference? No idea. But it's a deviant variable. xlolx

Cleets
November 27th, 2011, 01:47 PM
I agree with posters here but I'll throw in one variable. Montana has never played UCA in the FCS. Will that make a difference? No idea. But it's a deviant variable. xlolx

The offensive system I watched in that win over TTU leads me to believe Central Arkansas can score with anybody...

HailSzczur
November 27th, 2011, 01:53 PM
I have to wonder what the person who voted UNH over MSU was thinking

Cleets
November 27th, 2011, 02:02 PM

Maybe they watched MSU play their last game..?

(it was ugly)

SeattleGriz
November 27th, 2011, 03:58 PM
Dang it! Wasn't paying attention and thought this thread was about the most likely upset, so I voted for Lehigh.

As to biggest upset, I would have voted for Stony Brook beating SHSU.

DJKyR0
November 27th, 2011, 04:28 PM

Sorry, one of those was me, I thought the poll was asking "which do you think can most happen" and figured UNH was a pretty strong team heading to an also-strong Montana. Obviously basically the opposite of what the poll is in fact asking.

Dallas Demon
November 27th, 2011, 04:34 PM

The other thing going in UCA's favor (searching deep here...), is that the climate in Conway is a bit colder than the rest of the Southland schools. So the temperature might not have as much of an effect as what the other schools have experienced. I know this is a bit of a stretch but who knows.

Grizzaholic
November 27th, 2011, 04:40 PM
The other thing going in UCA's favor (searching deep here...), is that the climate in Conway is a bit colder than the rest of the Southland schools. So the temperature might not have as much of an effect as what the other schools have experienced. I know this is a bit of a stretch but who knows.

The bars are awaiting their arrival.

Grizzlies82
November 27th, 2011, 04:41 PM

Weather forcasts can be worthless up here. Yet (if it's correct) it appears the weather will be pretty nice this weekend for December. UCA may think it's COLD, but it really shouldn't be a factor. I suspect the play of the UCA QB, and the Montana Defense, will be more important factors.

Squealofthepig
November 27th, 2011, 04:45 PM
figured UNH was a pretty strong team heading to an also-strong Montana.

Montana State. Be careful, lest you invite us Montanans to just start calling you guys North Dakota. ;)

DJKyR0
November 27th, 2011, 06:00 PM
Montana State. Be careful, lest you invite us Montanans to just start calling you guys North Dakota. ;)

Dammit. I registered that when voting then pulled that bonehead move posting. You'd think I'd know better.

Professor Chaos
November 27th, 2011, 06:52 PM
I think the only glaring mismatch is SBU @ SHSU. There are some other games that should have obvious favorites but Stony Brook stealing a win in Huntsville would be the biggest potential upset of the day.

Ivytalk
November 27th, 2011, 07:06 PM
This may be a homer vote, but I have to go with UCA @ Montana. Mostly based on the Southland's history in Missoula, but also on the fact that we've been playing lights-out our last few games, and seem to be peaking at the right moment. I guess Stony Brook over Sam would be a close second for me.
Agreed.

ALPHAGRIZ1
November 27th, 2011, 09:51 PM
Stony Brook will win if they win the turnover battle.

If you dont believe me, then bet Cleets $5 on it.

Grizzaholic
November 27th, 2011, 10:17 PM
Stony Brook will win if they win the turnover battle.

If you dont believe me, then bet Cleets $5 on it.

xnonox

ngineer
November 27th, 2011, 11:19 PM
I go with SBU over SHSU, but UCA winning in Missoula is "1A". I think UCA's offense may keep them sniffing a little longer than the Seahawks will in the desert.

caribbeanhen
November 28th, 2011, 02:54 AM
If SHSU is truly the top team in the country Stony Brook going there and defeating them with SHSU coming off a bye would be one of the greatest upsets in FCS history.

I am ready for it

caribbeanhen
November 28th, 2011, 02:58 AM
I think the only glaring mismatch is SBU @ SHSU.

dont underestimate SHSU becasue of the weak schedule, they are for real

JmuSkinsfan
November 28th, 2011, 09:33 AM

I don't see JMU winning that game at all... so that would be an upset in my opinion

You're in for a rude awakening then. JMU may not win, but JMU will score at least 17-20 and that easily could be enough to win.

JmuSkinsfan
November 28th, 2011, 09:35 AM
Oh, and we may not have won pretty Saturday (despite dominating statistically) ... but look out ... JMU is now 6-0 against the FCS with Justin Thorpe at QB this year. The guy is a winner. He has also wont 10 straight FCS games since taking over in 2009 (won the last 4 games as a freshman in 2009, injured all of 2010, missed 5 games in 2011).

SpeedkingATL
November 28th, 2011, 09:52 AM
The best chance for an upset might be Wofford traveling to UNI. Wofford is solid all around and runs that damn option that few outside the SoCon see with any regularity. They won at Montana a few years back and are capable of pulling the upset here.

appfan2008
November 28th, 2011, 10:06 AM
I dont see how montana can lose that game...

Grizcountry420
November 28th, 2011, 10:13 AM
The best chance for an upset might be Wofford traveling to UNI. Wofford is solid all around and runs that damn option that few outside the SoCon see with any regularity. They won at Montana a few years back and are capable of pulling the upset here.

That would be nice. I would love to see Wofford get by UNI. UNI fans are really butt hurt about how they got screwed in the seedings and are saying that our AD bought the 4 seed. I hope they go down this weekend. UNI fans are cry sacks!

Twentysix
November 28th, 2011, 10:28 AM
That would be nice. I would love to see Wofford get by UNI. UNI fans are really butt hurt about how they got screwed in the seedings and are saying that our AD bought the 4 seed. I hope they go down this weekend. UNI fans are cry sacks!

And their players are thugs. xsmiley_wix

I hope UNI wins some games though.

FCS_pwns_FBS
November 28th, 2011, 11:37 AM
Wofford/UNI is a coin flip. Don't see why people are choosing that one.

I think some folks didn't read the question.

Mattymc727
November 28th, 2011, 11:43 AM

agreed. I cant see why anyone would vote for Wofford/UNI, Lehigh/Towson, UNH/MSU. The question was which outcome is the biggest upset, not most likely to happen. Thats gotta be where some people read wrong.

TwoFeathers
November 28th, 2011, 11:47 AM
I'm tied for Maine over App and JMU over NDSU.

TwoFeathers
November 28th, 2011, 11:48 AM
Oh, and we may not have won pretty Saturday (despite dominating statistically) ... but look out ... JMU is now 6-0 against the FCS with Justin Thorpe at QB this year. The guy is a winner. He has also wont 10 straight FCS games since taking over in 2009 (won the last 4 games as a freshman in 2009, injured all of 2010, missed 5 games in 2011).

+1

boonegoon
November 28th, 2011, 11:51 AM

Just a question, Does Central Arkansas have any affiliation to Hendrix College?

boonegoon
November 28th, 2011, 11:52 AM

Agreed. I voted for Wofford because I think it will happen.

FCS_pwns_FBS
November 28th, 2011, 12:18 PM
IMO, this is my list from the most evenly matched game to the most mismatched game...

1. Wofford @ UNI
2. Lehigh @ Towson
3. Maine @ App. State
4. UNH @ Montana State
5. ODU @ GSU
6. JMU @ NDSU
7. Stony Brook @ SHSU
8. Central Arkansas @ Montana

katstrapper
November 28th, 2011, 12:30 PM
Yes, UCA over Montana would be a big upset, but don't think it's going to happen. Teams from UCA's haven't had much success In Missoula in the playoffs. Below is what was posted on egriz. Many of those teams were much higher rated than UCA is. On the other hand, anything is possible.

2009-SFA 51-0 W
2008-TX St 31-13 W
2006-Mcneese 31-6 W
2004-NW St 56-7 W
2004-SHSU 34-13 W
2003-SHSU 38-14 W
2001-NW St 28-19 W
2001-SHSU 49-24 W
1997-SFA 24-10 W
1996-N St 48-3 W
1995-SFA 70-14 W

Avg margine of victory-31pts

And getting a team from the south to have to come to Montana in December is a huge advantage for Montana too.

So what is Montana's record against Southland away from WaGriz? I do remember one game in particular when the O so mighty Montana Grizzlies were ranked #1 and traveled to Huntsville for a non-conference game in September and got beat 41-29. Montana players were cramping and throwing up on the field because they couldnt handle the heat.

Be on the look out for this UCA squad. Nathan Dick is a much better QB than Jeremy Moses. And I dont see him getting rattled very easily since he did play at Arkansas. WaGriz wont phase him a bit since he played in the SEC.

ALPHAGRIZ1
November 28th, 2011, 01:03 PM
You know a lot about Dick.............................

caribbeanhen
November 28th, 2011, 01:06 PM
Be on the look out for this UCA squad. Nathan Dick is a much better QB than Jeremy Moses.

what ever happened to Jeremy Moses? is he still playing somewhere?

Grizzaholic
November 28th, 2011, 01:26 PM
And getting a team from the south to have to come to Montana in December is a huge advantage for Montana too.

So what is Montana's record against Southland away from WaGriz? I do remember one game in particular when the O so mighty Montana Grizzlies were ranked #1 and traveled to Huntsville for a non-conference game in September and got beat 41-29. Montana players were cramping and throwing up on the field because they couldnt handle the heat.

And then what happened later on that year when winning mattered? Go back to snuggling with TT.

Mattymc727
November 28th, 2011, 01:49 PM
I think the biggest upsets in order are (based off of my team perceptions):

1. Central Arkansas over Montana
2. Stony Brook over SHSU
3. ODU over GSU
4. JMU over NDSU

Upsets that have the best chance of happening:

1. Lehigh over Towson
2. UNH over MSU
3. Wofford over UNI
4. Maine over App State

Grizzlies82
November 28th, 2011, 01:59 PM
I dont see how montana can lose that game...

Don't think it will, but I see how it "can" happen. Central Arkansas can score bunches of points and their QB is a passing machine.

If our offense doesn't show up, or if the Griz defense is off, this game could be tight. The Grizzlies need to muzzle these Bears QB to win. It may take a couple quarters but I think the Griz defense will do it.

Milktruck74
November 28th, 2011, 05:26 PM
Guess I read the Question wrong. I picked Woffy, because I felt it is the MOST Likely upset to happen....Not the Biggest. That'd be SB over SHS...But then again it COULD happen too. I LOVE THIS TIME OF YEAR, just wish my Mocs could have found 4 points and joined the party.

Seawolf97
November 28th, 2011, 07:19 PM
The biggest upset would have to be Stony Brook over SHSU. While if any other team in the top 4 went down it would be a big upset too. I just think if the Big South champ were to go into the #1 team in the country and win it would be the biggest upset. I mean JMU or ODU winning would be a shock, but those are good teams from a good conference. A second place would be UCA beating the Griz in Missoula. UCA is a good team, but the Griz are playing as good as any team right now and Wa-Griz is a wasteland for a lot of good teams.

Gotta agree. We are the Cinderella Team in this Tournament for sure but you gotta play the game.:)

GridCaptain
November 29th, 2011, 05:57 AM
Maine over App - book it

Cocky
November 29th, 2011, 08:29 AM
I dont understand the conference talk? Most agree the SEC is the best FBS conference but that doesnt make Ole Miss and Tenn good because of membership. There is a difference playing LSU or UAT vs Ole Mis and UTK.

A team should be based on its merit not a conference mate.

Bearkat-Backer
November 29th, 2011, 09:04 AM
And then what happened later on that year when winning mattered? Go back to snuggling with TT.

It is ok to admit that you are just worried that you might have to come back to Huntsville for a semifinal match up this year.

Grizalltheway
November 29th, 2011, 09:21 AM
It is ok to admit that you are just worried that you might have to come back to Huntsville for a semifinal match up this year.

Not really. It worked out great the last time we went on the road to play the #1 seed. xnodx

Grizcountry420
November 29th, 2011, 10:04 AM

I honestly think that SHSU will get knocked out in the Quaterfinals..

Bearkat-Backer
November 29th, 2011, 10:33 AM
Not really. It worked out great the last time we went on the road to play the #1 seed. xnodx

I was talking more about there last trip to Huntsville...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=J4csg6md9OQ

Vitojr130
November 29th, 2011, 10:41 AM

Yeah, but you are forgetting that this same team romped SHSU in the playoffs... You know.... when it matters most...

bluehenbillk
November 29th, 2011, 10:43 AM
There will be two road victories this weekend:

UNH & Wofford.

Bearkat-Backer
November 29th, 2011, 11:00 AM
Yeah, but you are forgetting that this same team romped SHSU in the playoffs... You know.... when it matters most...

Believe me we haven't forgotten. Everyone in Huntsville is hoping for a Griz/Kats rematch. Even our AD has commented on it in the media.

Grizzaholic
November 29th, 2011, 11:16 AM
Believe me we haven't forgotten. Everyone in Huntsville is hoping for a Griz/Kats rematch. Even our AD has commented on it in the media.

I as well hope for a rematch down there. Really excited to see that douche TT whine about it after the Griz walk out victorious.

Grizalltheway
November 29th, 2011, 11:19 AM

That's great, but according to you guys, weather was the deciding factor in those games...and I don't think it will be quite as sweltering in early December.

Longhorn
November 29th, 2011, 08:10 PM

I'd like some of that action. You got game for something larger?

blackfordpu
November 29th, 2011, 08:27 PM
UCA over the griz in Montana would be huge. SLC teams do not fare well there.

ThompsonThe
November 29th, 2011, 08:42 PM
I'm tied for Maine over App and JMU over NDSU.

Wonder why? Can we say "CAA Prejudice"?

Remember, all of these teams are at least good. If any team does not play well, they will be beat. Any team can lose.

asujch
November 29th, 2011, 08:54 PM
Old Dominion over Georgia Southern would be huge. That triple option is mind numbingly boring, but really effective. If ODU can stop the run it'll be over for the Eagles; Connor obviously got all the throwing ability and Jaybo got, well....he can run, lol.

TwoFeathers
November 29th, 2011, 10:16 PM
Wonder why? Can we say "CAA Prejudice"?

Remember, all of these teams are at least good. If any team does not play well, they will be beat. Any team can lose.

Lol, nah, I just think these two are a little under-rated going into this round. No offense, but I don't think App is as good as they have been over the last few years. I would also say ODU over GSU, however I don't think it's going to happen.

Maybe I misunderstood, but I thought the question of this thread was which is the biggest upset that WILL happen, not which is the most lopsided matchup.

TwoFeathers
November 29th, 2011, 10:21 PM
There will be two road victories this weekend:

UNH & Wofford.

WOW, UNH over Montana State... Ballsy.

Squealofthepig
November 30th, 2011, 12:38 AM
I thought the question of this thread was which is the biggest upset that WILL happen, not which is the most lopsided matchup.

Really? You got that from the OP? Do they teach reading comprehension at W&M?

OP:
Which game would be the biggest upset if the underdog won on Dec. 3rd?

Eaglegus2
November 30th, 2011, 01:49 AM
Wofford beating UNI at home in the Dome would be one heck of an upset No one gives the Terriers a chance but the Panthers better bring their A game on Saturday.

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 30th, 2011, 06:37 AM
UCA over the griz in Montana would be huge. SLC teams do not fare well there.

This here.

IMO, the Grizz 'teamroll' UCA up in Missoula.

Sam_Kats
November 30th, 2011, 08:27 AM
Is Moose Drool still the flavor of choice up in Missoula these days?

Grizzaholic
November 30th, 2011, 11:21 AM
Is Moose Drool still the flavor of choice up in Missoula these days?

NOPE. Others seem to like it but it is very far from flavor of choice.

Grizalltheway
November 30th, 2011, 11:30 AM
NOPE. Others seem to like it but it is very far from flavor of choice.

Yep. It's all about Doppelbock this time of year.

LehighGuy
November 30th, 2011, 11:36 AM
Wofford beating UNI at home in the Dome would be one heck of an upset No one gives the Terriers a chance but the Panthers better bring their A game on Saturday.

Been there, done that. :-)

I haven't been following UNI much this year but last year everyone on that PantherNation board was deluded. I didn't think Lehigh beating them was that big of an upset because they were WAY overrated. I'm pulling for the Terrier's though!

TwoFeathers
November 30th, 2011, 03:14 PM
Really? You got that from the OP? Do they teach reading comprehension at W&M?

OP:

That must have been an 8AM class... didn't make many of those ;)

Grizzaholic
November 30th, 2011, 06:25 PM
Yep. It's all about Doppelbock this time of year.

THIS You making the lunch this Friday?

UNIFanSince1983
November 30th, 2011, 06:33 PM
Been there, done that. :-)

I haven't been following UNI much this year but last year everyone on that PantherNation board was deluded. I didn't think Lehigh beating them was that big of an upset because they were WAY overrated. I'm pulling for the Terrier's though!

Last year was a completely different team. It wasn't an upset last year. We weren't too healthy, and were not really good. This year, however, we are a very good team and about as healthy as we have been all year. Credit to Lehigh, though, as they are the only team to win a first round playoff game in the Dome. And I tend to stay away from Panther Nation because they never give credit to any opponent. The problem was last year our team didn't give credit to Lehigh either.

Wofford would be an upset but only a mild one. This is one of the better match ups this weekend. Similar to UNH vs MSU, and Lehigh vs Towson.

GABison
November 30th, 2011, 07:19 PM

NDSU has done well against above average QB's. McGhee - Montana State, Gray - Minnesota and Rennie - UNI all had better days than when they played the Bison.