PDA

View Full Version : 2011 Playoff Predictions - Second Round.

BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n
November 27th, 2011, 07:00 AM
I was 2-2 in the first round. This round's matchups will be good to say the least.

Stony Brook @ Sam Houston St. - Seawolves had their hands full last week against Albany, will get a double serving of it against SHSU.
New Hampshire @ Montana State - Bobcats win in a close one.
Wofford @ Northern Iowa - Panthers will prove why they are one of the nation's best.
Central Arkansas @ Montana - Bears had a great season and transition from D2 but their season ends in Missoula.
Old Dominion @ Georgia Southern - Monarchs will find out why Georgia Southern is one of the nation's best.
Maine @ Appalachian State - Black Bears give Mountaineers all they can handle before losing.
Lehigh @ Towson - This one should be the closest of the bunch.
James Madison @ North Dakota St. - Bison should roll in this one.

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 27th, 2011, 07:01 AM
I was 2-2 in the first round. This round's matchups will be good to say the least.

Stony Brook @ Sam Houston St. - Seawolves had their hands full last week against Albany, will get a double serving of it against SHSU.
Wofford @ Northern Iowa - Panthers will prove why they are one of the nation's best.
Central Arkansas @ Montana - Bears had a great season and transition from D2 but their season ends in Missoula.
Old Dominion @ Georgia Southern - Monarchs will find out why Georgia Southern is one of the nation's best.
Maine @ Appalachian State - Black Bears give Mountaineers all they can handle before losing.

I 2nd this!

FCS_pwns_FBS
November 27th, 2011, 07:30 AM
Ursidae Felidae: 28
Salty Dogs: 10

Bobs: 38
Wilds: 28

Ankle Biters: 28
Purple Panthers: 21

Grizzly Bears: 35
Smaller Bears: 17

Runnin' Eagles: 45
Butterflies: 31

Mountain Doods: 26
Other non-grizzly bears: 24

Panthera Tigris Cinderellis: 31
Mountain Birds: 28

Bovines: 27
Rich people's Dogs: 10

caribbeanhen
November 27th, 2011, 07:35 AM
I 2nd this!

dont underestimate Stoney as they might pull the upset as they have the easiest second round game, also Lehigh should score 42 but the question remains will it be enough

tribefan40
November 27th, 2011, 08:28 AM
Stony Brook @ Sam Houston St. - The Bearkats roll.
New Hampshire @ Montana State - UNH is deadly in the first round.
Wofford @ Northern Iowa - Upset. Option wins.
Central Arkansas @ Montana - Close for a while, then MT blows it open.
Old Dominion @ Georgia Southern - Should be much closer than many are thinking.
Maine @ Appalachian State - Maine is better than most realize.
Lehigh @ Towson - High Scoring, Towson takes it.
James Madison @ North Dakota St. - I know most people have only seen last week's JMU and I'm picking the Bison, but if the other Dukes show up, this could go the other way in a hurry.

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 27th, 2011, 08:35 AM
dont underestimate Stoney as they might pull the upset as they have the easiest second round game, also Lehigh should score 42 but the question remains will it be enough

IMO...Stony Brook will get blown-out by SHSU.

I have seen 2 SHSU games on Fox Sports this year and they are good. Southland might be poor this year but SHSU is the real deal.

Also, JMU did not impress me too much yesterday. Too 1-dimensional with the run...although it works for them. If the Bison do not turn it over they win by 2 -3 TDs.

JMU2K_DukeDawg
November 27th, 2011, 08:48 AM

I have a hard time believing every home team will win. I think Wofford, Lehigh, Maine and JMU all have decent shots at the upsets this week, in respective order of likelihood. For the JMU / NDSU game, health of both teams will play a major factor. If NDSU has multiple guys returning from injury, they may be significantly stronger. If JMU's OT returns and NDSU still starters missing, it'll be a challenging game for the Bison at home.

My picks based on the Bracket Challenge:
SHSU 42-35
MSU 35-34
Wofford 24-17
Montana 45-13
GSU 42-23
ASU 31-27
Lehigh 34-31
NDSU 20-17

All I have to say is although I picked JMU and ODU to advance in round one, I don't feel very confident about the CAA from here on out. If the CAA does well, then indeed we were a much more difficult league than we thought this year. If we get wiped out, then the general consensus is right that the CAA is deep, but no great teams this year.

JMU2K_DukeDawg
November 27th, 2011, 08:53 AM

I think you're on crack, but maybe SB will prove you right on Saturday. If so, my bracket is so busted!

caribbeanhen
November 27th, 2011, 08:59 AM
I think you're on crack, but maybe SB will prove you right on Saturday. If so, my bracket is so busted!

upsets happen, pick one - live on the edge

caribbeanhen
November 27th, 2011, 09:02 AM
IMO...Stony Brook will get blown-out by SHSU.

I have seen 2 SHSU games on Fox Sports this year and they are good. Southland might be poor this year but SHSU is the real deal.

Also, JMU did not impress me too much yesterday. Too 1-dimensional with the run...although it works for them. If the Bison do not turn it over they win by 2 -3 TDs.

USHS might just be good like you say, but thats the beauty of the playoffs - trying to figure out how good they will look against when the playing field is upgraded

JMU2K_DukeDawg
November 27th, 2011, 09:02 AM
Yeah, mine is Wofford this week. Outside of UCA @ Montana, I feel like many of these games are very intriguing and any outcome would not shock me.

Sam_Kats
November 27th, 2011, 09:05 AM
That's just the thing Bison Fan - most of the "experts" on this forum haven't even seen the Kats play a single snap, yet they throw their cheap opinion out like it's the FCS Bible. Comical. I don't think anyone from SH is expecting a blowout and knows SB is a solid squad. I think it's simply the FEAR of the unknown.

caribbeanhen
November 27th, 2011, 09:11 AM
That's just the thing Bison Fan - most of the "experts" on this forum haven't even seen the Kats play a single snap, yet they throw their cheap opinion out like it's the FCS Bible. Comical. I don't think anyone from SH is expecting a blowout and knows SB is a solid squad. I think it's simply the FEAR of the unknown.

Stoney is the unknown in this game so fear them as you suggest

Sam_Kats
November 27th, 2011, 09:21 AM
Like I said, we expect a game. I watched the entire game & am actually surprised we're not playing Albany. My point is you probably haven't seen the Kats play AT ALL this year yet you continue to base our team off of prior years.

Beating a dead horse here - I just hope the team that you root for comes thru Texas.

Wildcat80
November 27th, 2011, 09:25 AM
Stony Brook @ Sam Houston St. - The Bearkats roll.
New Hampshire @ Montana State - UNH is deadly in the first round.
Wofford @ Northern Iowa - Upset. Option wins.
Central Arkansas @ Montana - Close for a while, then MT blows it open.
Old Dominion @ Georgia Southern - Should be much closer than many are thinking.
Maine @ Appalachian State - Maine is better than most realize.
Lehigh @ Towson - High Scoring, Towson takes it.
James Madison @ North Dakota St. - I know most people have only seen last week's JMU and I'm picking the Bison, but if the other Dukes show up, this could go the other way in a hurry.

Those are nice picks. Can UNH play in the cold? As Decker goes so goes UNH!

fencer24
November 27th, 2011, 11:05 AM
Wofford UNI game may be the most interesting. Have the Panthers ever played Wofford (not just a triple option team, but one that executes as well as the Terriers do?) before?

veinup
November 27th, 2011, 11:09 AM
Bovines: 27
Rich people's Dogs: 10

lol. i like it.

Grizzlies82
November 27th, 2011, 04:13 PM
I think it's simply the FEAR of the unknown.

Yes, "FEAR of the unknown." This is the beauty of the playoffs. You get match ups you rarely, or never, had before. I love seeing the Griz in a playoff game with someone they've never met. There is always that lingering doubt prior to kickoff... Are they as good as the stats say, are the Griz as good as we hope? Nothing better than playoff football!

Grizzlies82
November 27th, 2011, 04:27 PM
Sam Houston > Stony Brook
(SHSU blows 'em out sending message to doubters/haters)

Montana St > New Hampshire
(Close 1st half, then Bobcats pull away)

No. Iowa > Wofford
(Lingering doubt on this one, yet UNI is the better team)

Montana > Central Ark
(Close 1st half, then Griz cruise)

Geo. So. > Old Dominion
(High scoring. Neither defense will stop the other)

Maine > Appalachian St
(Upset special at the Rock. Just isn't App's year)

Towson > Lehigh
(Another shootout. Just a wild guess, TSU's T.O.P. beats Lehigh)

North Dakota > James Madison
(Close 1st half, then Bison start to cruise)

Sam_Kats
November 27th, 2011, 05:10 PM
Nothing better than playoff football!

I second that.

Grizzaholic
November 27th, 2011, 05:14 PM
Yes, "FEAR of the unknown." This is the beauty of the playoffs. You get match ups you rarely, or never, had before. I love seeing the Griz in a playoff game with someone they've never met. There is always that lingering doubt prior to kickoff... Are they as good as the stats say, are the Griz as good as we hope? Nothing better than playoff football!

umm...

caribbeanhen
November 27th, 2011, 10:53 PM
Like I said, we expect a game. I watched the entire game & am actually surprised we're not playing Albany. My point is you probably haven't seen the Kats play AT ALL this year yet you continue to base our team off of prior years.

Beating a dead horse here - I just hope the team that you root for comes thru Texas.

11-0 is a great feat no matter what conference you play in and this upcoming match up with Stoney Brook is very intriging to me, I preface my upset pick based on the conference you play in. Your right on the money as I have not seen SHS play this year but if you have some hi lights please share. Was that last year when Nova went down to Texas and beat SFA pretty good? Well, Stoney is no Nova but still good enough to win the game IMHO, and for the most part I am getting the impression that everyone thinks Sammy is gonna hammer Stoney into pebbles anyway, nobody is seems to be taking them serious.

GSUhooligan
November 28th, 2011, 09:44 AM
Wofford over UNI is the only upset I have this week, unless you count Appy over Maine as an upset.

JMU_71
November 28th, 2011, 12:04 PM
I think Maine will give App a good game, but App wins by less than a TD. UNH will beat Montana St. UNI has had 2 weeks to get ready for the triple option. With that amount of time, UNI wins this one. Towson beats Lehigh for its first ever playoff win. ODU loses to GA Southern in a high scoring game. SHSU wins (never seen them play, but they are undefeated). Montana beats C. Arkansas. Finally, NDSU wins a very close game where JMU has the chance to win at the end, but turns the ball over late.

kevin1633
November 28th, 2011, 01:05 PM
Will weather be a factor in any of the outdoor games?

OLDMAIN80
November 28th, 2011, 01:11 PM
Wofford UNI game may be the most interesting. Have the Panthers ever played Wofford (not just a triple option team, but one that executes as well as the Terriers do?) before?

Never

Bearkat-Backer
November 28th, 2011, 02:01 PM

I am curious to see how UCA's pass happy O does in Montana.

Catbooster
November 28th, 2011, 02:05 PM
Last prediction I saw was for pretty nice weather - above freezing, calm, mostly sunny.

Grizcountry420
November 28th, 2011, 02:07 PM

Dick will be running for his life and youll be seeing his o-line picking him up off the ground quit a bit...

asumike83
November 28th, 2011, 02:11 PM
Stony Brook @ Sam Houston St.
New Hampshire @ Montana State
Wofford @ Northern Iowa
Central Arkansas @ Montana
Old Dominion @ Georgia Southern
Maine @ Appalachian State
Lehigh @ Towson
James Madison @ North Dakota St.

Grizzlies82
November 28th, 2011, 02:18 PM

Bearkat, I am too. The Griz secondary is the weakest link on defense. Though weather shouldn't be a factor in the passing game. I believe the forcast is for the low 30's. Cold, but not so cold as to affect catching the ball. I'm expecting a competitive game (with a Griz win of course).

Grizzlies82
November 28th, 2011, 02:20 PM
Dick will be running for his life and youll be seeing his o-line picking him up off the ground quit a bit...

This is the Griz game I'm hoping to see on Saturday. :)

UIWWildthing
November 28th, 2011, 02:54 PM

Towson's supposed to be sunny, with a high around 45

Hambone
November 28th, 2011, 02:57 PM
Wofford @ Northern Iowa
Lehigh @ Towson

Grizcountry420
November 28th, 2011, 03:06 PM
Wofford @ Northern Iowa
Lehigh @ Towson

unigriff
November 28th, 2011, 03:13 PM
Wofford @ Northern Iowa
Lehigh @ Towson

MSU over UNH
UNI over Wofford
MT over UCA
GSU over ODU
Towson over Lehigh
JMU over NDSU....sorry my hatred for NDSU is worse than my hatred for the CAA.

footballer23
November 28th, 2011, 03:19 PM
Stony Brook @ Sam Houston St. - Sam Houston rolls in this one.
New Hampshire @ Montana State - Bobcats by a field goal.
Wofford @ Northern Iowa - UNI wins by single digits.
Central Arkansas @ Montana - Montana at home is too much for Central Arkansas.
Old Dominion @ Georgia Southern - The Eagles run all over the ODU defense.
Maine @ Appalachian State - Maine by a hair.
Lehigh @ Towson - Towson wins the most competitive game of the weekend.
James Madison @ North Dakota St. - The Herd takes this by double digits.

Cleets
November 28th, 2011, 03:26 PM
Am the only guy who thinks Appalachian State cruises fairly easily this weekend..?
I just have a feeling they are going to be really tough to beat this post season

biggie
November 28th, 2011, 03:32 PM
Am the only guy who thinks Appalachian State cruises fairly easily this weekend..?
I just have a feeling they are going to be really tough to beat this post season
Believe the team has that ability, but nothing has been seen that all can come together and be consistant, especially on offense (ie: OL, play calling, etc). Can win by 20 (offense clicks and D plays well) or can lose by 20 (turnovers/short field kill D).

Grizzlies82
December 4th, 2011, 04:12 PM
Sam Houston > Stony Brook
(SHSU blows 'em out sending message to doubters/haters)

Montana St > New Hampshire
(Close 1st half, then Bobcats pull away)

No. Iowa > Wofford
(Lingering doubt on this one, yet UNI is the better team)

Montana > Central Ark
(Close 1st half, then Griz cruise)

Geo. So. > Old Dominion
(High scoring. Neither defense will stop the other)

Maine > Appalachian St
(Upset special at the Rock. Just isn't App's year)

Towson > Lehigh
(Another shootout. Just a wild guess, TSU's T.O.P. beats Lehigh)

North Dakota > James Madison
(Close 1st half, then Bison start to cruise)

Bumped this one back up so everyone can review. I missed one of the eight games outcome. Now 10-2 on my picks (missing UCA over TTU, and Lehigh over Towson).

Was spot on with the Geo So > ODU "Neither defense will stop the other" prediction. Yet did not expect Sam Houston to have that much trouble with their win over Stony Brook, nor MT State to struggle so much with their win. Take a look, how did your picks fare?

caribbeanhen
April 24th, 2021, 09:19 AM
10 years gone

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011_NCAA_Division_I_FCS_football_season