PDA

View Full Version : Old Dominion @ Georgia Southern

Pages : [1] 2

FCS_pwns_FBS
November 26th, 2011, 04:14 PM
Just thought I'd get this one started. Congrats to ODU on getting a 1-0 start on your playoff games.

eagle07
November 26th, 2011, 05:02 PM
The week can't go by fast enough, rdy for some playoff ball!

The Eagle's Cliff
November 26th, 2011, 05:24 PM
I'm going to watch the replay of the ODU/NSU game to look at ODU's offense some more. I watched a little live, but Norfolk St was just so horrid I couldn't keep going. ODU has a potent offense - BIG up front with a really good QB and athletic receivers. We'll have to put pressure on their QB to limit their offense. Our best defense will have to be our offense controlling the ball and scoring touchdowns on our possessions.

This is game one of the new season and the Eagles better be ready, because ODU has a good team.

straightshooter
November 26th, 2011, 05:30 PM
They've got a week to prepare for the fastest option attack the've ever seen. They've played a couple of option teams in the past and didn't fare well against them, but the GSU option is unlike that of say Cal Poly, who lit the Monarchs up pretty good. The biggest thing for the Eagles is that the D needs to come to play. ODU has a pretty good O.

GSU Eagle
November 26th, 2011, 05:46 PM
We have to play much more of an attacking defense than what I saw NSU play today. On many plans NSU rushed 3 and dropped everyone else. It did not work very well for them. We need to bring the heat. I do think it will be a challenge to deal with ODU's offense. The QB is mobile, does a good job of avoiding the rush and seems to find receivers. Bring next week on-- I am ready for some football.

tribefan40
November 26th, 2011, 06:28 PM
Should be a great game. I don't think ODU will have any trouble with the speed of GSU, as ODU has tons on D, but I will be interested to see if they can play disciplined enough with their assignments to slow the option. As many have already said, GSU will have to get some pressure on Heinecke if they want to slow the Monarch's O.

Wildcat80
November 26th, 2011, 06:35 PM
If Ga Southern is better than the team I saw last year.....I'm thinking they can go all the way.

T-Dog
November 26th, 2011, 06:35 PM
If I'm ODU, I'm calling App St up and paying them a king's ransom for their game footage against GSU plus tips on how to practice for it.

straightshooter
November 26th, 2011, 06:39 PM
If Ga Southern is better than the team I saw last year.....I'm thinking they can go all the way.

GSU is better in 2011 than 2010 on offense - a little bigger, stronger and faster. Being in the system another year helps too. Defense has lost a couple of key starters to injury and the scheme is slightly different with not quite as much blitzing. I'm sure that's in the defensive playbook, but so far the Eagles don't blitz as much as a year ago.

GSU Eagle
November 26th, 2011, 06:57 PM
If App and GSU win next weekend, get ready for the smack talk from both sides the likes of which we haven't seen.

T-Dog
November 26th, 2011, 07:03 PM
If App and GSU win next weekend, get ready for the smack talk from both sides the likes of which we haven't seen.

At least since the last time we played.

Apphole
November 26th, 2011, 07:08 PM
If I'm ODU, I'm calling App St up and paying them a king's ransom for their game footage against GSU plus tips on how to practice for it.

You KNOW our coaches are going to give the Monarchs any and every piece of film and advice in order to secure a second home game. We know how to beat these guys and we would be happy to share it if it benefits us. In fact, I was told that Bama contacted App State for film ect in order to shut down the GaSo offense like we did. It sure payed off for the Tide.

GSU Eagle
November 26th, 2011, 07:10 PM
App. better be focused on Maine next week.

CropDuster
November 26th, 2011, 07:12 PM
You KNOW our coaches are going to give the Monarchs any and every piece of film and advice in order to secure a second home game. We know how to beat these guys and we would be happy to share it. In fact, I was told that Bama contacted App State for film ect in order to shut down the GaSo offense like we did. It sure payed off for the Tide.

xeyebrowx

We had 302 yards rushing on bama. They didn't shut down anything.

Apphole
November 26th, 2011, 07:15 PM
xeyebrowx

Maybe they didn't emulate our strategy well enough because we sure did.

TwoFeathers
November 26th, 2011, 07:16 PM
That kid Heinicke is excellent, and only a true freshman. Looks like the second coming of Pat Devlin, only a bit smaller. #1 in FCS in completion percentage, 20TD's and only 1 INT. Very impressive!

AUtigersGSUeagles
November 26th, 2011, 07:27 PM
That kid Heinicke is excellent, and only a true freshman. Looks like the second coming of Pat Devlin, only a bit smaller. #1 in FCS in completion percentage, 20TD's and only 1 INT. Very impressive!

And he's from Atlanta. How did he end up at ODU rather than playing for the greatest coach in America in da dooooooome? Oh, yeah, that's right... ODU is actually good. Ga. State is far from it.

TwoFeathers
November 26th, 2011, 07:28 PM
And he's from Atlanta. How did he end up at ODU rather than playing for the greatest coach in America in da dooooooome? Oh, yeah, that's right... ODU is actually good. Ga. State is far from it.

Is he on the Payton watch list??? From what I've seen, he should be.

TwoFeathers
November 26th, 2011, 07:33 PM
So from what I've seen with ODU, they can score quickly, and often. The ODU @ W&M game was a score-fest. Basically the last team with the ball won (minus 2 Tribe INT's). So how will Ga Southern respond if they have to play from behind? I know they can score often as well, but they will use more clock typically. If by chance ODU can get up by 10-14 points early, it may put the Eagles in a difficult position to catch up.

Eagle22
November 26th, 2011, 07:35 PM
Maybe they didn't emulate our strategy well enough because we sure did.

Since the App-GSU game, there have been two major offensive position changes that were utilized vs Wofford and vs Alabama, which IMO accounts for the improvement on offense.

GSU Eagle
November 26th, 2011, 07:36 PM
ODU may very well rack up some passing yardage on us, but I know we will bring more pressure than NSU did today. I know some venues in the CAA are tough places to play in but so is Paulson Stadium. I just don't see the ODU quarterback being able to sit back and look and look for receivers as he did today. Also ODU's D front better get ready for some smash mouth football. It will be an interesting game but our offense has played very well in the last 2 games. If we can avoid turnovers I will believe it when I see if ODU can stop our offense.

TwoFeathers
November 26th, 2011, 07:40 PM
ODU may very well rack up some passing yardage on us, but I know we will bring more pressure than NSU did today. I know some venues in the CAA are tough places to play in but so is Paulson Stadium. I just don't see the ODU quarterback being able to sit back and look and look for receivers as he did today. Also ODU's D front better get ready for some smash mouth football. It will be an interesting game but our offense has played very well in the last 2 games. If we can avoid turnovers I will believe it when I see if ODU can stop our offense.

Yep, their defense will be porous. They have been able to score more than they give up, which has been plenty. I think it will be standard Ga Southern offense, probably 30-40 points. But ODU will try to score 35-45. Will be fun to watch. My pick is Ga Southern, and I don't think it will be close.

AUtigersGSUeagles
November 26th, 2011, 07:47 PM
Yep, their defense will be porous. They have been able to score more than they give up, which has been plenty. I think it will be standard Ga Southern offense, probably 30-40 points. But ODU will try to score 35-45. Will be fun to watch. My pick is Ga Southern, and I don't think it will be close.

I noticed during the broadcast that someone said they intercept the ball a lot and that has helped them with having the turnover advantage. I think we only have three INTs on the year (which is, of course, a product of the fact we never throw the ball). Hopefully that'll also help us out in keeping the ball away from their offense. It's definitely an impressive, up-tempo offense. But it sure didn't seem like Norfolk State had much of a defense. Should be a fun game. I hate that I'm going to have to miss it. I'll be trying to watch on a computer or listen on my phone during drill. I'm definitely hoping the Eagles pull it out so I get another trip to Paulson Stadium this year!

TwoFeathers
November 26th, 2011, 07:49 PM
xeyebrowx

Oh here we go... and they outscored you by 24 points, and held you to nearly 100 yds less than your average total per game, and 2 TD's less than your average. I suppose the next thing you will say is Ga Southern is better than Auburn, because you put up more points than they did against Alabama. And every other team they played this year. Heck, just skip the FCS championship and sign up for the BCS championship.

I'm just saying...

AUtigersGSUeagles
November 26th, 2011, 07:56 PM
Oh here we go... and they outscored you by 24 points, and held you to nearly 100 yds less than your average total per game, and 2 TD's less than your average. I suppose the next thing you will say is Ga Southern is better than Auburn, because you put up more points than they did against Alabama. And every other team they played this year. Heck, just skip the FCS championship and sign up for the BCS championship.

I'm just saying...

As an Auburn grad... I think Georgia Southern could beat Auburn right now. Auburn can't move the ball at all since we have no offensive line. And I think Georgia Southern could move the ball on Auburn like we did on Bama.

Eagle22
November 26th, 2011, 07:57 PM

I'm just saying...

Alabama shut down our long range field goal kicking, and our passing game. Had we completed more than the one pass for a TD, and had we not had a ten point swing on blocked field goal, the game might have ended up differently. One thing is certain though, Alabama did not stop our running game.

As I mentioned in a response to Apphole's post, we've made two position adjustments that have seemed to provide a spark to our offense, especially in the interior run game. Doing well on the fullback dive is a staple of our offense, and this improvement bodes well for Georgia Southern. Some coaches would not be willing to tinker after a close seven point loss to a top 10 team in a rivalry game on the road, but Monken doesn't appear to be content to accept the status quo.

It will be interesting to see if ODU exceeds or is held under their season average of 35. This year, only Chattanooga and Alabama have scored more points against Georgia Southern than their season average, and both of those teams had top notch defenses and had a few more possessions as a result. We'll see if ODU's offensive strengths mesh against Georgia Southern's relatively strong defense. It will be a test for our secondary, if it plays out the way I expect it to.

elon77
November 26th, 2011, 08:31 PM
I'm sorry to say that I don't have a dog, or bird, in this fight, but I have seen both teams play this year. You have to pick your medicine with ODU. If you bring pressure their QB has a real quick release and will hit the short pass and their receivers are very quick and fast and can make the defense miss. If you only rush 3 or 4 they always have 4 or 5 out in the passing lanes and they can pick up huge chunks of yardage. The interesting thing about ODU is most teams have a couple real good wideouts, but ODU has 6 or 7 real good receivers which cause matchup problems for most teams. ODU's defense is OK, but I think the option is going to cause them all kinds of problems because they just don't face it like the rest of the Socon teams do. Also, the thing I like about Ga Southerns offense (not sure I really like it ), is they can pass the ball out of the triple option which puts added pressre on the defense. Someone said ODU had trouble with Cal Poly's offense, which they did, but that was last year and this years defense seems to be much better. It should be a fun game to watch, and remember no matter what happens this is ODU's 3rd year of football which is pretty remarkable.

TwoFeathers
November 26th, 2011, 08:42 PM
Alabama shut down our long range field goal kicking, and our passing game. Had we completed more than the one pass for a TD, and had we not had a ten point swing on blocked field goal, the game might have ended up differently. One thing is certain though, Alabama did not stop our running game.

As I mentioned in a response to Apphole's post, we've made two position adjustments that have seemed to provide a spark to our offense, especially in the interior run game. Doing well on the fullback dive is a staple of our offense, and this improvement bodes well for Georgia Southern. Some coaches would not be willing to tinker after a close seven point loss to a top 10 team in a rivalry game on the road, but Monken doesn't appear to be content to accept the status quo.

It will be interesting to see if ODU exceeds or is held under their season average of 35. This year, only Chattanooga and Alabama have scored more points against Georgia Southern than their season average, and both of those teams had top notch defenses and had a few more possessions as a result. We'll see if ODU's offensive strengths mesh against Georgia Southern's relatively strong defense. It will be a test for our secondary, if it plays out the way I expect it to.

Heinicke was not only throwing the ball at will, but he was going long, and into tight spaces and the receivers were making crazy catches. It was very impressive. It appears this kid is the real deal, as he has only had 1 INT all year. Most QB's wouldn't have attempted a bunch of those throws.

GA St. MBB Fan
November 26th, 2011, 08:49 PM

Only Heinecke knows why he chose ODU, but at the time he was being recruited GA State had 4 QBs on the roster in Drew Little, Kelton Hill, Star Jackson, and Bo Schlecter. No one could have predicted that the GA State QB situation would fall apart as it did.

eaglewraith
November 26th, 2011, 09:22 PM
Since the App-GSU game, there have been two major offensive position changes that were utilized vs Wofford and vs Alabama, which IMO accounts for the improvement on offense.

Also the App game was one of the worst performances we've had on offense this year. Part of it was due to App, but we shot ourselves in the foot alot.

App did exactly what I expected them to do on defense, we just didn't play well enough to counteract it.

Apphole
November 26th, 2011, 09:46 PM
Also the App game was one of the worst performances we've had on offense this year. Part of it was due to App, but we shot ourselves in the foot alot.

App did exactly what I expected them to do on defense, we just didn't play well enough to counteract it.

The "Kidd Brewer Stadium Effect." Still think Paulson is rowdy? I think it will raddle ODU since all the CAA venues are quiet, but it's no KBS by any means.

ODUsmitty
November 26th, 2011, 10:24 PM
The "Kidd Brewer Stadium Effect." Still think Paulson is rowdy? I think it will raddle ODU since all the CAA venues are quiet, but it's no KBS by any means..

What does "raddle" mean. I am not well-versed in broken, hick English.

You have no idea how loud ODU is or is not. Heck, we played against GSU in the Dome this year, and we all know GSU is going 1-A soon. Their 1400 fans in attendence seemed pretty pumped up - ok, maybe a poor example.

Your stadium has track around it. Ours does not.

Fail.

Apphole
November 26th, 2011, 10:39 PM

What does "raddle" mean. I am not well-versed in broken, hick English.

You have no idea how loud ODU is or is not. Heck, we played against GSU in the Dome this year, and we all know GSU is going 1-A soon. Their 1400 fans in attendence seemed pretty pumped up - ok, maybe a poor example.

Your stadium has track around it. Ours does not.

Fail.

"Has track around it" is more broken English than misspelling rattle on a smart phone. We really will be 1-a soon and we carry this subdivision in attendance. Educate Yosef.

ODUsmitty
November 26th, 2011, 10:51 PM
Maybe. However, the entrance to our fine university does not have some inbred kid sitting in a tree playing a banjo, nor does the term "toothbrush" get taken as literally as it does in Boone.

Please beat Maine. We'll be waiting.

GaSouthern
November 26th, 2011, 10:55 PM
I'm really looking forward to killing the pretty butterflies this weekend xtroublex

Grizzlies82
November 26th, 2011, 11:30 PM
This game could be close. Yet, I doubt it will be for long.

Apphole
November 26th, 2011, 11:41 PM
Maybe. However, the entrance to our fine university does not have some inbred kid sitting in a tree playing a banjo, nor does the term "toothbrush" get taken as literally as it does in Boone.

Please beat Maine. We'll be waiting.

I don't recall the statue to which you are referring. Could you clarify? xeyebrowx

Apphole
November 26th, 2011, 11:42 PM
I just realized how tough the road is for ODU. If they win, they will visit 2 of the 3 rowdy venues in the FCS. Sucks to be a butterfly

fargocyclone
November 26th, 2011, 11:54 PM
I just realized how tough the road is for ODU. If they win, they will visit 2 of the 3 rowdy venues in the FCS. Sucks to be a butterfly

One possible path for ODU would be:
@Georgia Southern
@App St
@NDSU
(Frisco)

That's brutal.

Squealofthepig
November 27th, 2011, 12:03 AM

You say that apparently not realizing that GSU averaged almost 1,000 more than NDSU this year. Yes, as a dome, it will be rocking more, but give the Eagles fans some credit for putting butts in the seats.

For the record, avg. attendance this year:

@GSU: 19,249 (#7)
@ASU: 28,031 (#1)
@NDSU: 18,272 (#11)

Source: http://web1.ncaa.org/mfb/2011/Internet/attendance/fcs_attendance.html

cbarrier90
November 27th, 2011, 01:11 AM

Toothbrush jokes? The track around the field? You can be more original than that, c'mon...

ODU is a great story, but it appears the App game was the wake-up call GSU needed for the stretch run and they've been on a tear ever since. Though if ASU were to beat Maine, GSU would be the last team I'd want the Mountaineers to face, their experience, home field, and triple option all get them another game in Paulson.

^I said the exact same thing about Butler during their run to the Final Four this past year, and they continued time and again to prove me wrong. Coincidentally, it was a classic game against ODU in round 1 that got their run started.

ODUsmitty
November 27th, 2011, 06:50 AM
It is a brutal path, for sure.

Big test in Statesboro....and Apphole is correct about not experienced a LARGE rowdy stadium on the road. Delaware was large, but far from rowdy, and WM was packed, but is rather small.

Nice to see our boys show up yesterday. Be careful with Maine.....they are really solid.

caribbeanhen
November 27th, 2011, 06:52 AM
Delaware was large, but far from rowdy,

they get rowdier when the game is close:D

ODUsmitty
November 27th, 2011, 07:03 AM
that's cute, considering we had a 4th quarter lead.

Seriously, who would have thought that ODU's worst loss this year would be Delaware. What a strange year!

The Eagle's Cliff
November 27th, 2011, 07:45 AM
The ODU "story" in football has had my attention from the start. Their circumstance reminded me a lot of Georgia Southern, except they had way more advantages with money, market, and support. They are in the middle of a hotbed of talented athletes some of whom will choose ODU over Richmond, JMU, W&M, Towson, and Delaware. ODU is an instant success and will likely stay in the mix for as long as they remain in FCS. Their basketball tradition and market footprint make them a good candidate to move to the next level should they have continued success.

I wasn't surprised the MEAC continued it's tradition of losing in the playoffs for the 13th straight season bringing the total to 0-16. ODU will have a bigger challenge this Saturday and we'll see how they perform. Dontchya love playoffs!!??

ODUsmitty
November 27th, 2011, 07:47 AM
Thanks EC. Trying to find a way to get to that game. I hear you folks put on a good show pregame, and very interested to see how our boys respond to an obvious step-up in competition. All gravy from here.

Apphole
November 27th, 2011, 07:58 AM
You say that apparently not realizing that GSU averaged almost 1,000 more than NDSU this year. Yes, as a dome, it will be rocking more, but give the Eagles fans some credit for putting butts in the seats.

For the record, avg. attendance this year:

@GSU: 19,249 (#7)
@ASU: 28,031 (#1)
@NDSU: 18,272 (#11)

Source: http://web1.ncaa.org/mfb/2011/Internet/attendance/fcs_attendance.html

I'm well aware of the attendence averages. I was referring to App and GaSo.

GannonFan
November 27th, 2011, 08:43 AM
This game won't be that close - ODU won't have a prayer to stop the option. Only thing that will keep it close is if ODU can move the ball and they won't get 10 minutes in the pocket like they did against NSU.

eaglewraith
November 27th, 2011, 09:57 AM
The "Kidd Brewer Stadium Effect." Still think Paulson is rowdy? I think it will raddle ODU since all the CAA venues are quiet, but it's no KBS by any means.

Bryant Denny Stadium

Much louder...and we performed better than we did against App. The noise wasn't the problem. The problem was ourselves.

FCS_pwns_FBS
November 27th, 2011, 10:13 AM
At the very least GSU will get a lot of yards. As Eagle22 mentioned, after The Citadel game we shifted a few people around and that seems to have done the trick for us. GSU's top slotback JJ Wilcox should also be back after being out since the App. game. This will be the best offense ODU has faced in their short history if you don't mind my saying.

ODU has a chance if they can stall GSU's offense in the red zone, force some turnovers, and build up a lead in the first half (GSU cleary has a second-half defense, as you can see from games where the starters weren't pulled in the first half).

blueballs
November 27th, 2011, 10:24 AM
Bryant Denny Stadium

Much louder...and we performed better than we did against App. The noise wasn't the problem. The problem was ourselves.

And App's defense probably played their best game of the year too... a lot of the App posters have written about the up and down nature of their team this year. The GSU/App game is exhibit A of that.

GATA
November 27th, 2011, 10:49 AM
And App's defense probably played their best game of the year too... a lot of the App posters have written about the up and down nature of their team this year. The GSU/App game is exhibit A of that.

Agreed. The App State defense simply played outstanding on that day. Crowd noise was the least of our worries. The REAL problem was that they were whipping our ***. It happens sometimes. Their guys got off blocks all day long and we could never get it going on offense.

Pretty much any offense is gonna struggle when the other team refuses to stay blocked...

Gil Dobie
November 27th, 2011, 10:57 AM
At first glance I was thinking ODU pulling the upset, after further review, I think it's GSU by 10 or more.

The Eagle's Cliff
November 27th, 2011, 12:13 PM
At first glance I was thinking ODU pulling the upset, after further review, I think it's GSU by 10 or more.

It could go that way, but I'm "from Missouri" every Saturday. I'm a big believer in the notion of one team vs another team as opposed to measuring talent, records, etc. Execution and enthusiasm are the keys to winning against anyone. If Georgia Southern were truly "back" with speed everywhere, I wouldn't worry at all, but we still shoot ourselves in the foot on offense too much. Our weakest part of the team is the defensive secondary where we've lost a few key players over the course of the season. The kids playing there now do a good job, but we have to limit the QB to about 3 seconds before he feels pressure.

CropDuster
November 27th, 2011, 02:27 PM
I am concerned a bit with our pass defense. We've given up a lot of yards, albeit usually in garbage time, and we've lost a senior Safety. Hopefully Russell and the front four can get enough pressure to make it easier on the secondary and maybe Scott can grab an INT. If the offense plays like it has the past two weeks I think we'll be fine either way.

Cleets
November 27th, 2011, 02:40 PM

That is GO TO SCHOOL footage for sure...
NDSU provided a reel of their formula for Montana in a recent game

JMU-MRD-DAD
November 27th, 2011, 02:45 PM
Sam Houston State is the only underfeated team........so YOUR TEAM can be beat....just saying......ANY GIVEN SATURDAY

Looking at the matchups this weekend....I'd say the home teams prevail. However, the games will be played and I'm guessing there will be at least one upset....

Go Dukes

Blueandwhitefightfight
November 27th, 2011, 03:17 PM
Agreed. The App State defense simply played outstanding on that day. Crowd noise was the least of our worries. The REAL problem was that they were whipping our ***. It happens sometimes. Their guys got off blocks all day long and we could never get it going on offense.

Pretty much any offense is gonna struggle when the other team refuses to stay blocked...

I noticed that as well. I also noticed that Bama could not, for the most part, get off of our blocks. It was like night and day comparing the two games.

I'm not sure if that has to do more with our blocking improving since Boone or App. playing with the warrior-like determination they do against us.

Tubby Raymond
November 27th, 2011, 03:20 PM

This, they were scary in Delaware Stadium

straightshooter
November 27th, 2011, 03:54 PM
Right now the Statesboro weather for Saturday is blue sky and 65 degreess. That will make for a very fast track for the Eagles' TO.

gasoutherneagle
November 27th, 2011, 04:22 PM
Hoping for 80's by Saturday. Yes, I said 80's in December. That does happen down here. Then the gnats hatch... MWAHAHAHAHA!!!

Blueandwhitefightfight
November 27th, 2011, 05:17 PM
This, they were scary in Delaware Stadium

Scary is right. I still have nightmares about our 5 turnovers... We looked so lost in that game.

AppStsGr8
November 27th, 2011, 05:56 PM

That was definitely an excellent App defensive display. If ... that's a pretty big IF ... the best App team shows up Saturday, Maine will have a tough time. If GaSo's best team shows up, ODU will end their season at Paulson. I'll be at KBS cheering loudly for App. The new season has begun!

elon77
November 27th, 2011, 07:34 PM
A little tid bit for the older Ga Southern fans on here who can remember wide receiver Michael Mayers who graduated from Elon in 2007. I believe his senior year he had over 1000 yards and averaged 95 yards per game. He has a brother Nick who plays for ODU and is also a very talented receiver, maybe the best of all their wideouts. Good luck to both teams and hopefully for ODU the gnats are on vacation.

GATA_Eagles
November 27th, 2011, 10:52 PM
A little tid bit for the older Ga Southern fans on here who can remember wide receiver Michael Mayers who graduated from Elon in 2007. I believe his senior year he had over 1000 yards and averaged 95 yards per game. He has a brother Nick who plays for ODU and is also a very talented receiver, maybe the best of all their wideouts. Good luck to both teams and hopefully for ODU the gnats are on vacation.

Considering it got to 80 a few days this past week...I think they may be swarming in full force :D

straightshooter
November 27th, 2011, 11:10 PM
I've been looking at some of the Monarch sites and I see where they're talking about how young their team is, but when I do a little more research, I find that they start the same number of upper classmen as the Eagles - 13. The Monarchs start seven seniors and GSU starts six seniors. So much for the youth program they're claiming, at least when you look at the starting O and D.

Squealofthepig
November 27th, 2011, 11:15 PM
Looking at ODU's roster, it looks like every single one of their seniors starts (e.g., 8 or 9 total seniors); GSU has a lot more (about 25, looking at their ESPN roster).

So, I'd say both teams have a bit to be positive about here. ODU is starting the same number of seniors, but doesn't "lose" many to graduation; GSU is much deeper on experience. That senior thing will help GSU more in the playoffs this year, while ODU should definitely be pleased to return damn-near their entire team next year.

seantaylor
November 27th, 2011, 11:53 PM
Looking at ODU's roster, it looks like every single one of their seniors starts (e.g., 8 or 9 total seniors); GSU has a lot more (about 25, looking at their ESPN roster).

So, I'd say both teams have a bit to be positive about here. ODU is starting the same number of seniors, but doesn't "lose" many to graduation; GSU is much deeper on experience. That senior thing will help GSU more in the playoffs this year, while ODU should definitely be pleased to return damn-near their entire team next year.

To a point I agree. But, GSU's seniors are Hatcher's guys. Monken recruits much better, and while I agree some of Hatcher's guys are great players, they will pale in comparison to Monken's guys in 2 years. I know 66 should be a senior, and is the best player on the team, but am talking about man for man.

GaSouthern
November 28th, 2011, 06:57 AM
I think we are in for a dog fight but I do think we will pull away with a couple of late scores to make it look better than it actually was.

T-Dog
November 28th, 2011, 07:07 AM
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ljrn1w41qb1qa0ed1o1_500.png

One does not simply walk into Statesboro. It's six flags are guarded by more than just rednecks. There is evil there that does not sleep and the Greak Erk is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with gnats and dirt, the very air you breath is a poisonous stink. Not with ten thousand monarchs could you do this. It is folly.

TheEagleWay
November 28th, 2011, 07:20 AM

One does not simply walk into Statesboro. It's six flags are guarded by more than just rednecks. There is evil there that does not sleep and the Greak Erk is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with gnats and dirt, the very air you breath is a poisonous stink. Not with ten thousand monarchs could you do this. It is folly.

I got a good chuckle out of that one.

GaSouthern
November 28th, 2011, 07:21 AM

"You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to T-Dog again."

Apphole
November 28th, 2011, 08:06 AM

Post of the year

elon77
November 28th, 2011, 08:45 AM

That's pretty funny right there, but true.

blueballs
November 28th, 2011, 10:52 AM

POTY... I laughed out loud.

DJnva
November 28th, 2011, 11:27 AM
I've been looking at some of the Monarch sites and I see where they're talking about how young their team is, but when I do a little more research, I find that they start the same number of upper classmen as the Eagles - 13. The Monarchs start seven seniors and GSU starts six seniors. So much for the youth program they're claiming, at least when you look at the starting O and D.

Well, the starting QB is a true freshman. The top 2 RB are a freshman and sophomore. The guy with the most TD catches is a freshman. Our top DB is a freshman, etc.

Most of our upper classmen are on the lines. Coach Wilder didn't want to get run over right out of the gate so he went after some transfers at those positions to start the program off.

straightshooter
November 28th, 2011, 11:40 AM
Well, the starting QB is a true freshman. The top 2 RB are a freshman and sophomore. The guy with the most TD catches is a freshman. Our top DB is a freshman, etc.

Most of our upper classmen are on the lines. Coach Wilder didn't want to get run over right out of the gate so he went after some transfers at those positions to start the program off.

Well, the top GSU B-back is a true freshman. His backup is a sophomore. GSU's top WR is a true freshman. The starting OLB is a true freshman. The starting SS is a freshman. The starting RG is a freshman. I can go on and on.

Last year GSU started 13 true freshmen in different games. The starting B-back had 1,000 yards, including 170+ against William and Mary. He has now been beaten out by a true freshman, who rushed for 165 against Wofford and followed up up with 153 against Alabama. His yardage against the Tide was more than any entire team rushed for against them this season.

TwoFeathers
November 28th, 2011, 11:45 AM

This is the kind of talk that begs for an ODU upset. I thought the same thing, but I also saw the Delaware game, the Chatty game and the ASU game, and anything can happen.

TwoFeathers
November 28th, 2011, 11:46 AM
I think if ODU can get up early, and if Ga Southern has a couple of ill-timed turnovers, ODU could pull the upset.

straightshooter
November 28th, 2011, 11:48 AM
This is the kind of talk that begs for an ODU upset. I thought the same thing, but I also saw the Delaware game, the Chatty game and the ASU game, and anything can happen.

You do realize that this is not a GSU fan making that post don't you?

TwoFeathers
November 28th, 2011, 11:50 AM
You do realize that this is not a GSU fan making that post don't you?

Now I do... ;)

HighCountry
November 28th, 2011, 11:52 AM

On the way back from Florida I stopped near Statesboro to eat and smelled this stink you speak of...an unbearable stench. Lets go ODU!

Apphole
November 28th, 2011, 11:53 AM
On the way back from Florida I stopped near Statesboro to eat and smelled this stink you speak of...an unbearable stench. Lets go ODU!

Did you eat in Gondor or Rohan?

boonegoon
November 28th, 2011, 12:22 PM
Did you eat in Gondor or Rohan?

I don't think Gondor has a Cracker Barrel. You have to go all the way to the Shire.

I-16Bandit
November 28th, 2011, 12:57 PM
All season, I've been personally praising ODU for their success (in my head and to friends). Their story reminds me somewhat of Georgia Southern's start-up story. Now looky here, we have to face them. I have great respect for their program and all of their accomplishments. Win or not Saturday, ODU is soon to be the team to beat in the CAA (if not on a bigger scale!). I wish ODU the best of luck, and safe travels to any ODU faithful that will be traveling down to Paulson. I'm looking forward to a great match-up this Saturday.

But of course... HAIL SOUTHERN! :)

seantaylor
November 28th, 2011, 02:14 PM

That is good ish.

asumike83
November 28th, 2011, 02:21 PM
I like GSU in a close one. ODU is impressive but that option is tough to game plan for in one week. The speed will be way ahead of anything the scout team can emulate and due to injury concerns, teams usually don't even attempt the cut blocks in practice. It will take some serious in-game adjustments for ODU to come out on top. Should be a great game but the Eagles march on.

henfan
November 28th, 2011, 03:07 PM
I think if ODU can get up early, and if Ga Southern has a couple of ill-timed turnovers, ODU could pull the upset.

Yup. GSU's defense has to stop ODU's offense as well. If it gets late and GSU has to depend on Jaybo to throw the duckie, it's all over.

http://d.yimg.com/i/ng/sp/ap_photo/20101218/all/l4913376.jpg

TheEagleWay
November 28th, 2011, 03:27 PM
Yup. GSU's defense has to stop ODU's offense as well. If it gets late and GSU has to depend on Jaybo to throw the duckie, it's all over.

http://d.yimg.com/i/ng/sp/ap_photo/20101218/all/l4913376.jpg

That happens to a rebuilding team... we are a much improved team now. Hense why we are in the playoffs once again with a much better record and a SOCON Title.xnodx

henfan
November 28th, 2011, 03:44 PM
That happens to a rebuilding team... we are a much improved team now.

GSU certainly had a better regular season than last year's team but the next 2 weeks will determine whether or not they have a better season than last year's semi-finalist.

As I said, your guys aren't going to match last year's finish if they have to depend on #14's arm. You'll have to win with your run game and defense.

Best of luck this week and, if it comes to it, beyond.

SpeedkingATL
November 28th, 2011, 03:53 PM
I give the edge to GSU because of (1) their option attack (2) Paulson home field advantage (3) experienced, seasoned playoff experience. Both teams played tough schedules in conference and played some nail biters so both teams will be ready to rumble. Good luck to both squads...hopefully the Apps can handle the Bears and be waiting for the winner.

GlassOnion
November 28th, 2011, 03:54 PM
Im hoping to pick OD. Im going to watch their game against Norfolk St in about ten minutes, then I'll come back and spout forth my wisdom. In other words, I'll make my highly uneducated guess, based on 3 GSU games and an uncontested OD first round game, in addition to my fervent hope of not having our guys stuck in that stinking swamp in the Qtr finals, assuming App is still in it of course.

james_lawfirm
November 28th, 2011, 03:55 PM

That's the best post ever in the history of AGS! Assuming of course you meant to type "Great Erk" and not "Greak Erk". 'Course maybe the misspelling makes it even better. Was Erk Greek?

GlassOnion
November 28th, 2011, 04:31 PM
Yeah, never mind, Im going GSU 38 or over, ODU 17 or less.

FIDO-GATA
November 28th, 2011, 07:59 PM
GSU certainly had a better regular season than last year's team but the next 2 weeks will determine whether or not they have a better season than last year's semi-finalist.

As I said, your guys aren't going to match last year's finish if they have to depend on #14's arm. You'll have to win with your run game and defense.

As with every other game we've ever played minus the VG and Hatcher years.

I-16Bandit
November 28th, 2011, 08:14 PM
Yeah, never mind, Im going GSU 38 or over, ODU 17 or less.

Haha. Watch the ODU/NSU game?

GlassOnion
November 28th, 2011, 08:19 PM
Haha. Watch the ODU/NSU game?

Yeah, but unfortunately I didnt have to wait four quarters to make my prediction. Yikes.

eaglewraith
November 28th, 2011, 08:54 PM

Our passing is better than it was last year, especially the short passing game. We weren't able to consistently establish the run against Delaware so we didn't have A-Backs or WRs streaking open like we have this year. The difference this year is we don't pass all that much but we're normally pretty effective when we do.

I-16Bandit
November 28th, 2011, 09:09 PM
Our passing is better than it was last year, especially the short passing game. We weren't able to consistently establish the run against Delaware so we didn't have A-Backs or WRs streaking open like we have this year. The difference this year is we don't pass all that much but we're normally pretty effective when we do.

Just to add to this, one of our scores against Alabama was a pass, so we can pass. Like eaglewraith said, we don't pass often, but when we do, it is pretty efficient.

TheEagleWay
November 29th, 2011, 08:05 AM
Yeah, but unfortunately I didnt have to wait four quarters to make my prediction. Yikes.

Where did you find the game? I figure I could put some film time in this week as well.

Monarch Nation
November 29th, 2011, 08:11 AM
Where did you find the game? I figure I could put some film time in this week as well.

It is archived on ESPN3. Thank goodness NSU is pretty bad, because we came out with a massive case of "First Playoff Jitters."

eaglesrback
November 29th, 2011, 08:41 AM
Has there been any word on the kid (Brown ?) that was injured on the kickoff ? Looked bad when it happened, and I never saw him move at all. Not even a finger. Hope he is ok and can make it to Statesboro.

straightshooter
November 29th, 2011, 08:51 AM
Mild concussion on the kid taken off the field. And yes, NSU was terrible, especially on defense. That has to be the slowest DL and LB I've ever seen in the playoffs. Why they ran that 3-4 with no pressure is beyond me. That won't be the case in Statesboro. GSU's pass rush will be a blur compared to NSU. My guess is that we'll see how the freshman QB handles his hot reads as GSU disguises its blitz packages throughout the game.

DJnva
November 29th, 2011, 09:23 AM

So ODU scoring 35 straight points after a busted play somehow caused you to back off saying it may be a close game Saturday?

asumike83
November 29th, 2011, 10:26 AM
FWIW, ODU's offense is built on quick short passes. NSU's defense decided to let ODU have to beat them with the long pass and it ended up not working. Most CAA defenses have pressured Heinicke this season and I expect GSU to do the same, but like I said, ODU's offense primarily revolves on underneath routes so expect quick releases. The NSU game was an anomaly in that ODU doesn't chuck up that many long passes in a game unless forced to.

First off, your name is just 'The', which is awesome. I have given you rep points for that alone! Good luck this weekend, Statesboro is a tough place to win.

Ivytalk
November 29th, 2011, 10:27 AM
GSU will win, but by less than the 10-point spread.

GlassOnion
November 29th, 2011, 10:50 AM
So ODU scoring 35 straight points after a busted play somehow caused you to back off saying it may be a close game Saturday?

Maybe it was the 2.5 yards per carry on 40 attempts. Or the 400 yards of offense that NSU put up, despite 135 yards in PENALTIES. If your offense cant stay on the field and keep GSU's offense off the field, youre in big trouble. It looks to me like the ODU defense is going to be playing 45 minutes out of 60. The triple O is gonna wear ya'll out, its the nature of the beast. I wont even talk about GSU's return man.

eaglemachine
November 29th, 2011, 11:04 AM
Maybe it was the 2.5 yards per carry on 40 attempts. Or the 400 yards of offense that NSU put up, despite 135 yards in PENALTIES. If your offense cant stay on the field and keep GSU's offense off the field, youre in big trouble. It looks to me like the ODU defense is going to be playing 45 minutes out of 60. The triple O is gonna wear ya'll out, its the nature of the beast. I wont even talk about GSU's return man.

Two return men...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MlJI9fOUKxo

http://youtu.be/orQ0vbYBvEw

TheEagleWay
November 29th, 2011, 11:10 AM

You are also going to be limited on the number of posessions due to the Option Offense. With the offense on the field a majority of the game, that will also mean the defense will rest up.

I've watched a lot of Southern games where the opposing defense has their hands on their hips early, and I'm talking end of 1st, start of 2nd quarter early. That ground pound attack will wear you out.

This will probably force ODU go rely on the deep ball. Of course, our secondary is not strong on the stat sheet, but thats because teams get pass happy to keep up with our offense.

Our return man ,Robinson, you have to watch out for him on the wheel route. That happens about twice a game.

TwoFeathers
November 29th, 2011, 12:01 PM

I don't think Ga Southern would ever turn to the pass to win games. They have been attempting maybe 10 per game, with even 1 or 2 for TD's. But if they can't run the ball out of the triple option, they are in trouble from the get-go. The run is the foundation of the triple option. That being said, I don't think any team can completely shut down the Eagles triple option. I'd have to go back and look at stats, but in the Delaware game, it was a few COSTLY turn-overs. And with Chatty, they still put up 28 points. However, the 2nd half of the Chatty game was as good an example as any. PS, I don't exactly recall what happened in the App game, except they lost.

asumike83
November 29th, 2011, 12:05 PM
I don't think Ga Southern would ever turn to the pass to win games. They have been attempting maybe 10 per game, with even 1 or 2 for TD's. But if they can't run the ball out of the triple option, they are in trouble from the get-go. The run is the foundation of the triple option. That being said, I don't think any team can completely shut down the Eagles triple option. I'd have to go back and look at stats, but in the Delaware game, it was a few COSTLY turn-overs. And with Chatty, they still put up 28 points. However, the 2nd half of the Chatty game was as good an example as any. PS, I don't exactly recall what happened in the App game, except they lost.

ASU had a very good defensive game plan for GSU. They were also the 3rd option team we'd seen in 4 games. Held them to 135 yards rushing and intercepted Jaybo twice. I was impressed with the kind of assignment football we played against them. It's all about discipline and trusting your corners to be on an island pretty much all day.

Even with a great defensive performance, their special teams almost got them a W.

TheEagleWay
November 29th, 2011, 12:22 PM
I don't think Ga Southern would ever turn to the pass to win games.

Ask Wofford fans about the SOCON Title game a few weeks ago, we went pass happy the second half to help win the game and help open up our run game more.

Bear1
November 29th, 2011, 01:42 PM
ASU had a very good defensive game plan for GSU. They were also the 3rd option team we'd seen in 4 games. Held them to 135 yards rushing and intercepted Jaybo twice. I was impressed with the kind of assignment football we played against them. It's all about discipline and trusting your corners to be on an island pretty much all day.

Even with a great defensive performance, their special teams almost got them a W.

You cant say enough about the job App did in that game(just look at the Alabama game). App came out with the best defensive game I have seen against any option team. But Georgia Southern has seen that game film now. GSU just has too much team speed for most of these other teams. Even Saban said he couldn't simulate the speed in practice. Thats why they match up with App so well. Both teams are so fast. I dont think App could do what they did again, in Statesboro. But, I also dont think the rest of the country knows just how fast these SOCON teams are. I look for APP, Wofford and Georgia Southern to all win this weekend.

GSC75
November 29th, 2011, 02:04 PM
You cant say enough about the job App did in that game(just look at the Alabama game). App came out with the best defensive game I have seen against any option team. But Georgia Southern has seen that game film now. GSU just has too much team speed for most of these other teams. Even Saban said he couldn't simulate the speed in practice. Thats why they match up with App so well. Both teams are so fast. I dont think App could do what they did again, in Statesboro. But, I also dont think the rest of the country knows just how fast these SOCON teams are. I look for APP, Wofford and Georgia Southern to all win this weekend.

I know I am saying this ad nauseum - but the GSU team that played ASU and the GSU team that played Alabama ain't quite the same - we play appy like we played bama, totally different outcome, Boone or not ;).

DJnva
November 29th, 2011, 02:12 PM

After that busted play, NSU generated 178 yards of total offense until garbage time. Even with it, they had only 276 total yards until the final 2 drives, when the score was 35-7.

Yeah, ODU didn't run well, but they didn't need to. They use the short passing game as an adjunct to the running game. However I suppose you can base a predicition on what they did in that one game versus how they ran the ball all year. Goodwyn and Harper both averaged 4.5 yards per carry.

AUtigersGSUeagles
November 29th, 2011, 02:23 PM
Two return men...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MlJI9fOUKxo

http://youtu.be/orQ0vbYBvEw

Your second link is to Swope's run, not to Laron's return. I love watching that Swope run, though. And even more than his running, I love the effort and speed of Bryant to come up and make those key blocks.

eaglewraith
November 29th, 2011, 02:28 PM

App had the same defensive gameplan we've seen several times this year, and it's the smart way to do it. App wanted to make Jaybo beat them because he's the slowest runner. Granted it was good heads up on the INT's by App, but they were very horrible throws and very unlike how he'd been passing all year. That first INT he wasn't even under pressure. However, we couldn't block worth a damn in that game. A lot of it was due to the athleticism of App, but a good deal of it was lack of effort on our part. Several times I saw blockers just watch defenders go by them. Combine a good defense with horrible execution on offense and you get what happened in this game.

And yes somehow we still were in a position to win at the end. If we'd kicked FG's on all those trips in the redzone that came up empty I wouldn't get so irritated with how that game turned out.

GlassOnion
November 29th, 2011, 04:26 PM
After that busted play, NSU generated 178 yards of total offense until garbage time. Even with it, they had only 276 total yards until the final 2 drives, when the score was 35-7.

Yeah, ODU didn't run well, but they didn't need to. They use the short passing game as an adjunct to the running game. However I suppose you can base a predicition on what they did in that one game versus how they ran the ball all year. Goodwyn and Harper both averaged 4.5 yards per carry.

NSU made first downs, what, prolly about as many as ODU did. If NSU did it, GSU will do it ten times better, your D wont sniff the bench. And you may have 2 good backs averaging 4.5 yards a carry, but they havent seen anything close to the GSU D in speed, or God-awful pigmanyetibearwhatchahisname at DT. App's RB avgs 4.6 ypc, against GSU, he got 1.5. Your passing game is your only hope, but it wasnt a dominant passing game, and I think the NSU D stunk, so there you go.

I-16Bandit
November 29th, 2011, 04:32 PM
NSU made first downs, what, prolly about as many as ODU did. If NSU did it, GSU will do it ten times better, your D wont sniff the bench. And you may have 2 good backs averaging 4.5 yards a carry, but they havent seen anything close to the GSU D in speed, or God-awful pigmanyetibearwhatchahisname at DT. App's RB avgs 4.6 ypc, against GSU, he got 1.5. Your passing game is your only hope, but it wasnt a dominant passing game, and I think the NSU D stunk, so there you go.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xf69EEL3WBk

CropDuster
November 29th, 2011, 04:41 PM
Swope averaged 8.5 a carry against Alabama with 153 total. Swope and Brown are averaging 6.5 ypc on the season with a combined 1447 yards so far. It took us 15 games to get that yardage from the B backs last year. ODU's defense is going to have their hands full.

The Eagle's Cliff
November 29th, 2011, 05:00 PM
This game will come down to which defense can get a couple of stops and/or which offense will stop itself. All this talk about Alabama is silly considering we got beat by 24 points. So what if it's Alabama - GSU lost by 24 points! Maybe we can still talk about the yards we gained on Alabama when ODU is playing Maine in Norfolk next week?

I-16Bandit
November 29th, 2011, 05:04 PM
Swope averaged 8.5 a carry against Alabama with 153 total. Swope and Brown are averaging 6.5 ypc on the season with a combined 1447 yards so far. It took us 15 games to get that yardage from the B backs last year. ODU's defense is going to have their hands full.

Kinda of skewed considering he had one 82 yard rush for TD. Not taking anything away from his performance at all, though.

boogereagle
November 29th, 2011, 05:24 PM
I don't think Gondor has a Cracker Barrel. You have to go all the way to the Shire.

xlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolx

CropDuster
November 29th, 2011, 06:17 PM
Kinda of skewed considering he had one 82 yard rush for TD. Not taking anything away from his performance at all, though.

He still averaged over 4 without it. Besides, a big run or two by our B back should be expected. How many times did AP or JA burst out of a pile and take it to the house? Doesn't necessarily have to be 80 yards, but you know what I'm getting at.

CropDuster
November 29th, 2011, 06:20 PM
This game will come down to which defense can get a couple of stops and/or which offense will stop itself. All this talk about Alabama is silly considering we got beat by 24 points. So what if it's Alabama - GSU lost by 24 points! Maybe we can still talk about the yards we gained on Alabama when ODU is playing Maine in Norfolk next week?

Your first sentence applies to every game, so why bother talking about any of it at all? xchinscratchx

asujch
November 29th, 2011, 09:11 PM
I haven't seen ODU play this year, but I have seen the eagles play against ASU in Boone. Jeff Monkin has a great team on his hands with a lot of potential. ODU has a good shot if they can get a few stops and keep putting up points on the board. GaSo has really good ball control, so if ODU doesn't score on most of their drives, it could be an early exit for them.

TwoFeathers
November 29th, 2011, 09:47 PM
Ask Wofford fans about the SOCON Title game a few weeks ago, we went pass happy the second half to help win the game and help open up our run game more.

Eagles were 6 of 12 passing in that game (of 76 total plays). Isn't that about standard for Monken's offense?

TwoFeathers
November 29th, 2011, 09:52 PM
I haven't seen ODU play this year, but I have seen the eagles play against ASU in Boone. Jeff Monkin has a great team on his hands with a lot of potential. ODU has a good shot if they can get a few stops and keep putting up points on the board. GaSo has really good ball control, so if ODU doesn't score on most of their drives, it could be an early exit for them.

I expect the Eagles to continue doing what they do. I think this one comes down to coaching and preparation by the ODU Defense, and a few lucky turnovers, penalties, etc... going ODU's way for them to win.

TheEagleWay
November 30th, 2011, 07:05 AM
Eagles were 6 of 12 passing in that game (of 76 total plays). Isn't that about standard for Monken's offense?

No, and I agree. I want to say alot of those came from the first drive the second half that really baffled their defense.

caribbeanhen
November 30th, 2011, 07:09 AM
gata fans, tell us why your team is improved over last year?

TheEagleWay
November 30th, 2011, 07:10 AM
I watched the first quarter of the ODU/Norfolk game. The 3-4 defense was so laughable, and ODU had a real hard time running against that defense. ODU's QB will not even come close to that much time in the pocket, and I could that a few teams in the SOCON would pressure as well as we will Saturday. He will live or die by the short pass/screen pass. Trust me, our defense had a few years of practicing against the screen (our previous coach would screen left, screen right, dive up the middle, punt).

Also, I was not impressed with ODU's speed on defense and even Norfolk was throwing decent blocks, especially on that weird punt return for Norfolk. The Triple Option has a very complex blocking scheme that will baffle defenses at times and break for huge yardage.

TheEagleWay
November 30th, 2011, 07:12 AM

It would have to be maturation process of learning this offense in its 2nd year and that means blocking has improved, we discovered our true freshman Swope is a beast of a running back and our defense is the best I've seen in years.

TheEagleWay
November 30th, 2011, 07:23 AM
Statistically our 2010 defense looks slightly better, but the intensity is really ramped up this year.

caribbeanhen
November 30th, 2011, 07:25 AM
It would have to be maturation process of learning this offense in its 2nd year and that means blocking has improved, we discovered our true freshman Swope is a beast of a running back and our defense is the best I've seen in years.

fair enough, is #66??? Russell I think his name was back on Defense this year? you guys talked him up big last year but he didnt seem that dominant up in Newark, but you could see his potenetial anyway

TheEagleWay
November 30th, 2011, 07:27 AM
Offensive Comparison. Got it from rivals.com

2011 Season Georgia Southern PPG 35.9 YPG 424.9
2010 Season Georgia Southern PPG 27.5 YPG 345.9

TheEagleWay
November 30th, 2011, 07:29 AM
fair enough, is #66??? Russell I think his name was back on Defense this year? you guys talked him up big last year but he didnt seem that dominant up in Newark, but you could see his potenetial anyway

Yeah, that was a big goose egg. I think they have learned from that game very well. Russell is a mean machine and you could see him playing on Sunday's (bias aside).

Eagle22
November 30th, 2011, 07:36 AM

Usually average around 10 pass attempts, and around 50%+ completion rate, so that is pretty much the average.

It will be interesting to watch though, how a team decides to approach us defensively. I can't help but remember back in 1998 when the I-AA world was all star struck about Western Illinois' defense. Their defense was allowing an average of 9 points a game, and we were paired up with WIU in the semi-finals. Their defense had not allowed a single passing touchdown over the course of thirteen games to that point.

Greg Hill made mince-meat of their defense, and PJ and the crew dropped 48 points on the Leathernecks that day. Aaron Stecker ran wild, rushing for 180+ yards but WIU only scored 14 points.

And the funniest part about it ... Greg Hill tossed 4 touchdown passes.

There is a lot of danger for those teams who believe they are going to come in and key on the run game. Shaw has demonstrated the ability to be consistent and efficient enough in the passing game to keep defense's guessing. I'd say the lone exception was the ASU game, and his first pass that went for an interception (thrown into the wind, into double coverage). Bottom line, I like how he manages our offense.

soaring eagle
November 30th, 2011, 07:48 AM
Russell is our all american nose tackle. Im not bragging or talking trash but i can assure you that ODU's center has never faced a d-lineman of Brent's caliber. All i can tell you is no one in the SoCon has been able to block him man on man. You will be forced to double and maybe triple team him which will leave open lanes for the blitzing linebackers as well as the other beast on the d-line. I watched the Norfolk game and can assure you that your qb will have no where near the time to get the ball off as you did against Norfolk. With that said wait until Saturday and you will see what I mean. Also beat of luck to you coming into Statesboro the Eagles are very hot right now and if the offense continues clicking as they did against Bama it will be a long afternoon if you cant run the ball. Ive read a few post about yall's Cal Poly game but i can assure you Southern is much faster and Jaybo can throw much better than people realize. Your defense will be cut blocked on every play which is the reason Florida has pulled out of our future game as other BCS teams refuse to play us. But i will give you one tip if you try to stack the box don't lose sight of an A-Back running out of the back field down the middle of the field. If you do i can promise you it will be six. Any way best of luck to your team Saturday.

VBR_Productions
November 30th, 2011, 07:51 AM
Attached is the CAAZone's preview of the game.

http://www.caazone.com/2011/11/30/old-dominion-battles-storied-program-in-georgia-southern/

TheEagleWay
November 30th, 2011, 07:56 AM
Attached is the CAAZone's preview of the game.

http://www.caazone.com/2011/11/30/old-dominion-battles-storied-program-in-georgia-southern/

Good article.

The only thing that was left off the Special Teams section was our ability to block FG and PATs.

straightshooter
November 30th, 2011, 11:43 AM
Wonder if ODU knows that GSU runs a little no huddle too from time to time?

TwoFeathers
November 30th, 2011, 11:52 AM
Good article.

The only thing that was left off the Special Teams section was our ability to block FG and PATs.

Excellent article. It may come down to turnover margin and special teams (blocked kicks). That may be the only way ODU has a shot...

TwoFeathers
November 30th, 2011, 11:57 AM

He'll get a couple of TFL, and maybe a forced fumble. He seems to always be around the ball and the backfield. But I think he is prone to the screen play. I agree on the Delaware game, but perhaps Delaware had an exemplary Offensive line. Not sure where ODU stacks up on the O Line, but I know Heinicke has gotten lots of time back there, against some very good defenses this year. If I'm not mistaken, there may be at least one ODU lineman on the First Team all-CAA squad.

TwoFeathers
November 30th, 2011, 11:57 AM
Wonder if ODU knows that GSU runs a little no huddle too from time to time?

Probably not... ;)

parr90
November 30th, 2011, 12:01 PM

So what are supposed to take that run out, it doesnt count or what? Bama has the best D in college football. Saban said they worked really hard all week to prepare for our offense. He had a 82 yard run. Thats great considering who it was against. Who else has done it against them? One thing is that yes the alabama game is over and we played a hell of a game against them. We got in the red zone a couple times and came away with no points, they scored on a run back of a blocked field goal. We are much closer to this level than people and the media thinks.Yes its over and we should focus on Old D. but lets not take away the great performance that our RB had or our team.

Eaglegus2
November 30th, 2011, 12:30 PM
If anyone should know it is you Parr? The Eagles had a great game against one of the best Teams in college football this year. Nothing should be taken away from the performance of the Eagles. Old Dominion is the next game and it is Saturday. We should be totally prepared for a good team like the Monarchs. They have something to prove playing Georgia Southern in Paulson Stadium. I expect you will see OD play their best game on Saturday. If the Eagles don't show up on Saturday our season will come to an abrupt halt.

I cannot wait until Saturday because I will have my seat in Section J that I have had for the past 12 seasons. GO EAGLES!!!

Welcome to all OD fans that plan to make the trip. You will be seated in the lower section of Section J. Stop by the top row and give an old AGS shout out. I would love to meet you.

TwoFeathers
November 30th, 2011, 02:54 PM
So what are supposed to take that run out, it doesnt count or what? Bama has the best D in college football. Saban said they worked really hard all week to prepare for our offense. He had a 82 yard run. Thats great considering who it was against. Who else has done it against them? One thing is that yes the alabama game is over and we played a hell of a game against them. We got in the red zone a couple times and came away with no points, they scored on a run back of a blocked field goal. We are much closer to this level than people and the media thinks.Yes its over and we should focus on Old D. but lets not take away the great performance that our RB had or our team.

In my honest opinion, I think several SoCon teams are more prepared defensively to stop Ga Southern than Alabama would be, even with their size and speed advantage. Simply because the Triple Option is diabolical and based on mis-perception and mis-direction and trickery. It's getting traditional defenses tendencies to work against themselves. And without playing against that system for many games over many years, etc... it's hard to defend. I'm not surprised in the least that they put up yards and points against Alabama. I would have been surprised if they won, however. Just my opinion.

I-16Bandit
November 30th, 2011, 03:04 PM

I didn't take away from anybody's performance, hence the sentence after what you responded to. I was just saying that comparing his overal yards from that game is a bit skewed with that one outlier run. Not trying to "ignore" anything that happened during that game. I was VERY impressed with the performance of our team.

straightshooter
November 30th, 2011, 04:44 PM
If you read some of the ODU fan comments on different boards, GSU is doomed. According to some, the talented and speedy ODU receivers (quote now - (4.2 and 4.3 speed") cannot be covered by GSU's defense, which is nothing more than an average CAA defense. The massive ODU OL will protect the QB and he won't be touched all day. On D they have the immovable object named Cameron on the DL and they've got a plan that will shut down the GSU O.

I've got my tickets, but I don't know why I'm even going to the game. It could be horrible...

Well......I do have my tickets.....and I want to see those 4.2 WR in action...

FIDO-GATA
November 30th, 2011, 06:33 PM

We won the southern conference outright. Statistics are for liars.

straightshooter
November 30th, 2011, 06:41 PM
And GaSouthern fans haven't been saying the same thing?

Some have, but you've always got those to deal with. Clicked in on an ODU chat room today with a writer in Norfolk. They had a little poll on who would win the game. 78% picked ODU and 22% picked GSU. That's a little different from the poll in this thread. What can you say? Homers are homers...

Eaglesrus
November 30th, 2011, 08:03 PM

I just got a chance to scan the last three pages and didn't see anyone mention this about Russell; not only is he back this year, he will be next year, also. If this has already been said I apologize.

straightshooter
November 30th, 2011, 08:56 PM
I just got a chance to scan the last three pages and didn't see anyone mention this about Russell; not only is he back this year, he will be next year, also. If this has already been said I apologize.

ODU has an OL guy that is 6'8", 340. I watched him against NSU and all he did was stand up and get in the way of NSU's very slow NT. Russell will be by him before he stands up. Expect Mr. Russell to be remembered by the ODU faithful for years to come.

Baldy
December 1st, 2011, 01:35 AM

He isn't going to be as dominant when you are double and triple teamed on every snap.

http://a4.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/310609_10100204699372941_33004836_44072538_2958343 52_n.jpg

Even Nick Saban knows this. xnodx

Eaglesrus
December 1st, 2011, 05:38 AM
ODU has an OL guy that is 6'8", 340. I watched him against NSU and all he did was stand up and get in the way of NSU's very slow NT. Russell will be by him before he stands up. Expect Mr. Russell to be remembered by the ODU faithful for years to come.

I've suspected that there must be a reason that a kid from California that is that size is playing at ODU and not somewhere in the PAC 12.

caribbeanhen
December 1st, 2011, 06:19 AM
We won the southern conference outright. Statistics are for liars.

and sports agents $$$$

TwoFeathers
December 1st, 2011, 08:27 AM
He isn't going to be as dominant when you are double and triple teamed on every snap.

http://a4.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/310609_10100204699372941_33004836_44072538_2958343 52_n.jpg

Did you happen to see the play when your boy 66 was taken for a 15 yard ride on the back of Trent Richardson??? ;) There's got to be a vid of that out there. It was half of the Eagles Defense as well... All in good fun...

TwoFeathers
December 1st, 2011, 08:31 AM
Did you happen to see the play when your boy 66 was taken for a 15 yard ride on the back of Trent Richardson??? ;) There's got to be a vid of that out there. It was half of the Eagles Defense as well... All in good fun...

This is the one, picture from ESPN (link below)...

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/photos?gameId=313230333&photoId=1692026

TUSCALOOSA, AL - NOVEMBER 19: Running back Eddie Lacy #42 of the Alabama Crimson Tide drags members of the Georgia Southern Eagles defense, including defensive tackle Brent Russell #66, during the game at Bryant-Denny Stadium on November 19, 2011 in Tuscaloosa, Alabama. (Photo by Mike Zarrilli/Getty Images)

eaglewraith
December 1st, 2011, 08:35 AM
This is the one, picture from ESPN (link below)...

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/photos?gameId=313230333&photoId=1692026

TUSCALOOSA, AL - NOVEMBER 19: Running back Eddie Lacy #42 of the Alabama Crimson Tide drags members of the Georgia Southern Eagles defense, including defensive tackle Brent Russell #66, during the game at Bryant-Denny Stadium on November 19, 2011 in Tuscaloosa, Alabama. (Photo by Mike Zarrilli/Getty Images)

Hell Richardson could drag an elephant on his back. That guy is serious business.

But notice, it took an all world Heisman candidate to do that to us.....I don't think you'll see that in FCS ;)

However that pic is of Lacey...who's also no slouch. I don't think there'll be much of a dropoff if any at that position once Trent leaves.

elon77
December 1st, 2011, 08:40 AM
Since I have seen both teams play this year I will finally give a non partisan view. Elon turned the ball over sooooo much in their game against GSU I don't know if thatgame game gave me a very good indication of how good GSU really is. They looked pretty good to me, but Elon sure helped them alot in that game. I will say that when Elon wasn't fumbling and throwing INT's they seemed to move the ball pretty good and I think ODU has a better passing attack than Elon does. I have seen ODU play amd I think they will be able to move the ball and put points on the board against GSU, but will they be able to put up enough points because it could turn into a shoot out. If the game was being played in Norfolk I think ODU would have a better chance to win, unless it was too loud and they had to forfeit. But, since they are playing in GAWGA, I give the nod to my Socon brothers. If it is warm and the gnats are out they could cause all kinds of problems for ODU's passing game. If the gnats don't bother them the stink will surly get to them. Score GSU 35 ODU 24.

GATA_Eagles
December 1st, 2011, 01:56 PM
Current weather forecast for Saturday: High of 68/Low of 41 and mostly sunny. It's been slowly creeping up all week :)

blueballs
December 1st, 2011, 04:18 PM
Current weather forecast for Saturday: High of 68/Low of 41 and mostly sunny. It's been slowly creeping up all week :)

That 68 will be 80+ facing the sun on the north side of the stadium...

Lehigh Football Nation
December 2nd, 2011, 10:37 PM
CSJ Preview:

http://www.college-sports-journal.com/index.php/78-college-sports-journal/david-coulson/130-an-fcs-history-lesson-for-sam-houston-state

gsu6trophies
December 2nd, 2011, 11:08 PM

Who are you guys playing tomorrow?

Squealofthepig
December 2nd, 2011, 11:24 PM
Who are you guys playing tomorrow?

The Tribe is playing GSU of course! Oh wait, that was last year, but the Tribe scored a moral victory, managing to score almost half as many points as their opponent!

Milktruck74
December 3rd, 2011, 12:10 PM
The Play by play guy keeps calling him Coach Monkey.

Pard4Life
December 3rd, 2011, 12:12 PM
Going for it on 4th in the early first Q?

ccd494
December 3rd, 2011, 12:14 PM
Going for it on 4th in the early first Q?

ODU has a punt/pass option they like a lot.

Milktruck74
December 3rd, 2011, 12:16 PM
great downfield blocking by the Eagles... Thats will extend runs and win games.

Cleets
December 3rd, 2011, 12:21 PM
Well that was fast...
GSU looks relaxed and ready

Cleets
December 3rd, 2011, 12:26 PM
ODU flies down the field in just a few plays - touchdown - game tied

7 - 7

NoDak 4 Ever
December 3rd, 2011, 12:27 PM
Well that was fast...
GSU looks relaxed and ready

That was faster. that run looked like Pee Wee football, just keep running till you find a seam....

bleedblue
Still too relaxed. More relaxed than ready.

AppChicago
ODU answers. 7 all. Will this be a high scoring game?

Cleets
So far no defense to speak of... but I don't expect that to last - both teams will settle down

Milktruck74
December 3rd, 2011, 12:28 PM
Nice Answer...Looks like the 430 YPG averages won't be reduced on either side.

Twentysix
December 3rd, 2011, 12:29 PM
I hope our attendance isnt as embarssing as GSU's wow. empty. Might be though :\

TwoFeathers
December 3rd, 2011, 12:29 PM
turnovers/special teams may decide this one...

TwoFeathers
December 3rd, 2011, 12:30 PM
ODU running the option too...

bleedblue
December 3rd, 2011, 12:30 PM
Gotta make Jaybo make a good throw. He can't throw when the coverage is just decent.

Twentysix
December 3rd, 2011, 12:31 PM
Wow fumble #1.

inpsite1919
Fumble

Cleets
FUMBLE>>>>

TwoFeathers
December 3rd, 2011, 12:32 PM
That's one pass... 9 more to go ;)

bleedblue
Here comes the "if we did not turn the ball over" garbage.

TwoFeathers
Way to cover the pitch play... again... ODU.

NoDak 4 Ever
I hope our attendance isnt as embarssing as GSU's wow. empty. Might be though :\

Commentators said 20k. Doesn't sound like 20k.

Cleets
December 3rd, 2011, 12:33 PM
impressive single coverage by GSU
Their corners look pretty darn good

Cleets
December 3rd, 2011, 12:34 PM
was that a 20 yard punt...

NoDak 4 Ever
December 3rd, 2011, 12:35 PM
was that a 20 yard punt...

They should work harder on actually punting than looking like a fake.

Milktruck74
December 3rd, 2011, 12:35 PM
GSU defense makes sure the Fumble didn't hurt.

cougarpines
December 3rd, 2011, 12:39 PM
Fumbles are the achilles heal og the TO

JMU-MRD-DAD
December 3rd, 2011, 12:40 PM
Nice catch..

Cleets
December 3rd, 2011, 12:41 PM
Touchdown (Oops) Touchdown placed on the two

inpsite1919
December 3rd, 2011, 12:41 PM
Good Catch by GSU Bad Call that was a TD. Didn't matter

Cleets
December 3rd, 2011, 12:42 PM
14-7 Georgia Southern

AppChicago
December 3rd, 2011, 12:42 PM
7-14 Eaglets.
1:06 in the 1st.

inpsite1919
December 3rd, 2011, 12:46 PM
Bad Spot

inpsite1919
December 3rd, 2011, 12:47 PM
14-7 Start of 2nd Q

JMU-MRD-DAD
December 3rd, 2011, 12:47 PM
GSU 14 ODU 7
End of 1st

danefan
December 3rd, 2011, 12:48 PM
Why are there empty bleachers and people sitting on the hill? Kindly weird no?

JMU-MRD-DAD
December 3rd, 2011, 12:50 PM
I'm surprised that ODU is gaining yards that easy.

AppChicago
December 3rd, 2011, 12:53 PM
ODU scores again.

caribbeanhen
I really like this Frosh QB for ODU..... untill next year anyway

R3TRO
ODU QB is legit. This is my first time watching him this season. He's very Santos/Decker-esque...

Milktruck74
December 3rd, 2011, 12:56 PM
17 minutes in and we are at 350 yards of total offense. first stop wins. hahaha

cougarpines
December 3rd, 2011, 12:59 PM
Not a defensive struggle

caribbeanhen
December 3rd, 2011, 01:00 PM
ODU def tackling the football, they look beat already, but in the end the old fumble might do Gaso in

Gordon Shumway
December 3rd, 2011, 01:00 PM
Heinicke is going to break a lot opposition fan's hearts in the CAA over the next three years. Is it true he has only started since mid-season?

cougarpines
December 3rd, 2011, 01:03 PM
He was not the QB when Delaware played them. He looks like the real deal

Milktruck74
December 3rd, 2011, 01:04 PM
Not a defensive struggle

These offenses have made a bunch of defenses look bad this year.

cougarpines
December 3rd, 2011, 01:04 PM
first ans goal from the 29

AppChicago
December 3rd, 2011, 01:05 PM
Another GSU TD: 20-14 (pending PAT)

JMU-MRD-DAD
Betting window is now open......Will GSU punt today?

cougarpines
ODU has no clue how to stop them

AppChicago
ODU has no clue how to stop them

Very nearly mutual.

bleedblue
December 3rd, 2011, 01:06 PM
20-7?

PantherRob82
December 3rd, 2011, 01:07 PM
I predicted 28-27 GSU...that might be the halftime score...

AppChicago
December 3rd, 2011, 01:07 PM
20-7?

21-14 now. (I posted that pre-PAT kick, and the "7" should have been "14", which was a mistake i fixed seconds after posting)

cougarpines
December 3rd, 2011, 01:09 PM
Very nearly mutual.

Agreed. What is the scoring record

JMU-MRD-DAD
December 3rd, 2011, 01:09 PM
App St received opening kickoff...just punted to Maine.

bleedblue
December 3rd, 2011, 01:10 PM
Hmm. Nevermind

bleedblue
December 3rd, 2011, 01:10 PM
Swiss cheese

furpal87
December 3rd, 2011, 01:11 PM
Wasn't there a 59-56 game one year?

AppChicago
December 3rd, 2011, 01:11 PM
All tied at 21, 7:28 in the half.

cougarpines
December 3rd, 2011, 01:12 PM
Thats well within reach

JMU-MRD-DAD
December 3rd, 2011, 01:12 PM
Maine just scored on long pass...

dwtime
December 3rd, 2011, 01:13 PM
Was Georgia Southern supposed to have a great defense? This is the first I've seen of them, they kind of remind me of the UNH D.

caribbeanhen
December 3rd, 2011, 01:15 PM
ODU QB has time to study for his upcoming finals back in the pocket

Pard4Life
Wasn't there a 59-56 game one year?

Are you referring to that Montana-South Dakota St. game two years ago? Griz were down like 30, and won 6x-5x.

bleedblue
Well GSU was supposed to have speed but I'm not sure on what side of the ball? #66 is all man but that is all I saw last year in Newark and all I see today. Lots of double teams on #66.

Pard4Life
This is more exciting than any FBS games right now, but that goes without saying...

furpal87
December 3rd, 2011, 01:17 PM
No I think it was SFA and Grambling the year SFA beat us in a snowstorm in the semis (89, I believe).

bleedblue
December 3rd, 2011, 01:21 PM
WTF was that ODU

caribbeanhen
December 3rd, 2011, 01:21 PM
good grief, my daughter could have made that pass

Blueandwhitefightfight
December 3rd, 2011, 01:22 PM
When we pass, we do it right.

cougarpines
December 3rd, 2011, 01:22 PM
Defense is a foregn word

Pard4Life
December 3rd, 2011, 01:30 PM
Um, can't tackle?? Vaughn dragged the DB five yards!

JMU-MRD-DAD
December 3rd, 2011, 01:31 PM
I got 72-71 in ONE OT.

cougarpines
December 3rd, 2011, 01:33 PM
635 yards of total offense just before half. Are you kidding me

insideout08
December 3rd, 2011, 01:36 PM
Pass interference. Why in the world is the ODU coach calling TOs here??

Pard4Life
December 3rd, 2011, 01:36 PM
Halftime yardage: ODU 312, GSU 327.. wow-o!

Blueandwhitefightfight
December 3rd, 2011, 01:37 PM
It's not lack of defense, these offenses are just that good. Props to ODU for playing a great first half. See ya in the 2nd.

bleedblue
December 3rd, 2011, 01:38 PM
Wrong lack of defense. Nice try.

DJnva
December 3rd, 2011, 01:39 PM
Pass interference. Why in the world is the ODU coach calling TOs here??

Because if the pass on 3rd down was incomplete ODU would have had a chance at a punt block/punt return.

JmuSkinsfan
December 3rd, 2011, 01:41 PM
ODU certainly has a dynamic offense. JMU was able to stifle them pretty well though. Either both offenses are up for the occasion or the GSU defense is not good (we already knew ODU's defense was not their strength)

insideout08
December 3rd, 2011, 01:41 PM
Because if the pass on 3rd down was incomplete ODU would have had a chance at a punt block/punt return.

Monken isn't punting with 2 seconds left. No coach is.

Bogus Megapardus
December 3rd, 2011, 01:43 PM
I'm loving Old Dominion's offense. What a game! Will Ga. Southern's option attack just wear them down, though?

cougarpines
December 3rd, 2011, 01:45 PM
GSU leads in TOP by 7 minutes.

bleedblue
December 3rd, 2011, 01:45 PM
I'm loving Old Dominion's offense. What a game! Will Ga. Southern's option attack just wear them down, though?

My guess is yes.