PDA

View Full Version : Ranked #116 in toughest schedule

I-16Bandit
November 25th, 2011, 08:45 PM
Out of 118 teams with at least 9 Inter-Division games, this team is ranked 116 (sorted by cumulative opposition) . Can you guess who?

http://web1.ncaa.org/mfb/2011/Internet/toughest%20schedule/fcs_9games_cumm.pdf

Could this be a testament to their record? Will be interesting come playoff time for them.

appmountaineer
November 25th, 2011, 08:48 PM
I think it'll be interesting to see how they fair in the playoffs. They may struggle very early on.

LehighU11
November 25th, 2011, 08:52 PM
Ehh, it doesn't tell the whole story. I'm sure just about every Patriot League-hating, CAA/SoCon/MVFC-touting poster in here will scoff at the 18 SoS rating for Lehigh. Interesting that 5 of the 6 PL teams are in the top 20 toughest...

I-16Bandit
November 25th, 2011, 08:54 PM
Ehh, it doesn't tell the whole story. I'm sure just about every Patriot League-hating, CAA/SoCon/MVFC-touting poster in here will scoff at the 18 SoS rating for Lehigh. Interesting that 5 of the 6 PL teams are in the top 20 toughest...

That isn't me. I just find it quite interesting and decided to share. Take it as you will.

Grizzaholic
November 25th, 2011, 08:55 PM
haha. Will we see another Southland collapse?

LehighU11
November 25th, 2011, 09:02 PM
That isn't me. I just find it quite interesting and decided to share. Take it as you will.

I agree that it's interesting that SHSU is ranked third to last. That SoS ranking doesn't take their win over New Mexico, though one of the weakest FBS teams, into account, right?

I-16Bandit
November 25th, 2011, 09:13 PM
I agree that it's interesting that SHSU is ranked third to last. That SoS ranking doesn't take their win over New Mexico, though one of the weakest FBS teams, into account, right?

I'm not really sure. I don't know if a win over a FBS team that only has a single win would help much.

Interesting to note that 7 of the teams SHSU beat have loosing records (2 teams that only won ONE game, and 1 team that only won TWO games). One team has a 6-6 record, so SHSU only beat 3 teams with more W's than L's??

UNH Fanboi
November 25th, 2011, 09:21 PM
A SoS ranking that just takes into account wins and losses is useless.

kdinva
November 25th, 2011, 09:53 PM
I'm embarrassed about the team ranked #118...........

danefan
November 25th, 2011, 11:25 PM

+1

NCAA SOS is worthless.

Lafayette as the hardest schedule in the country proves just how worthless it is.

I-16Bandit
November 25th, 2011, 11:30 PM

I won't argue this, but you can't argue that SHSU had a pretty soft schedule.

Grizzaholic
November 25th, 2011, 11:33 PM

Can we lump in the GPI as well?

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 25th, 2011, 11:34 PM
+1

NCAA SOS is worthless.

Lafayette as the hardest schedule in the country proves just how worthless it is.

Lafayette played an extremely difficult schedule. It might not be the tougest but its certainly up there, @ NDSU, @ Lehigh, @ Stony Brook, Harvard @ Georgetown, @ Penn and @ Holy Cross.

danefan
November 25th, 2011, 11:36 PM
Lafayette played an extremely difficult schedule. It might not be the tougest but its certainly up there, @ NDSU, @ Lehigh, @ Stony Brook, Harvard @ Georgetown, @ Penn and @ Holy Cross.

Every CAA, MVFC, Big Sky and SoCon team has a tougher schedule with their conference games alone.

Grizzaholic
November 26th, 2011, 12:00 AM
Every CAA, MVFC, Big Sky and SoCon team has a tougher schedule with their conference games alone.

But....But...they played AT NDSU. AT NDSU. That is like playing the Packers.

I-16Bandit
November 26th, 2011, 12:03 AM
But....But...they played AT NDSU. AT NDSU. That is like playing the Packers.

Only unranked teams can take on the mighty NDSU. Duh.

DJKyR0
November 26th, 2011, 12:23 AM
Only unranked teams can take on the mighty NDSU. Duh.

Well sure, unranked FBS teams...

I-16Bandit
November 26th, 2011, 12:26 AM
Well sure, unranked FBS teams...

I'm sure all FBS teams that NDSU plays will be unranked. Next year, try to schedule a FBS team that can win more than once a season.

Hammerhead
November 26th, 2011, 12:41 AM
NDSU play at Kansas State in 2013. Is that good enough for you?

DJKyR0
November 26th, 2011, 01:11 AM
NDSU play at Kansas State in 2013. Is that good enough for you?

And at Iowa a few years later. Besides, Minnesota has two wins this year. Kansas had three the year before that, including one over 15th-ranked Georgia Tech. Iowa State had seven the year before that. We do schedule teams that win more than one game per season.

FargoBison
November 26th, 2011, 01:28 AM
And at Iowa a few years later. Besides, Minnesota has two wins this year. Kansas had three the year before that, including one over 15th-ranked Georgia Tech. Iowa State had seven the year before that. We do schedule teams that win more than one game per season.

And Central Michigan had 8 wins when we beat them in 2007.

Squealofthepig
November 26th, 2011, 03:22 AM
I'm really not sure you can fault NDSU for scheduling these games. It's not like they can guarantee that the relative FBS teams will actually be decent when the games are slated. Minnesota, and Kansas before that, are both BCS teams that potentially could have been good. Credit the Bison for playing them. It's not like any FCS team can call up USC, Ohio State, etc etc and easily slate a game.

But, I'd suggest this is really just a strawman - I mean, if the Bison are playing "weak" FBS teams, surely GSU is scheduling and beating FBS teams with a more impressive resume, right?

So, OK, credit GSU for getting Alabama this year (and getting beat, albeit by a respectable amount with a good box score). Last year you lost to Navy. In 2008, Georgia. In 2004, Georgia. In 2000, Georgia (like an election year cabal for you guys). In 1996, Florida. In 1994, Miami. In 1993, Miami. In 1992, Georgia. 91, Auburn; 90, Florida State; 86, Florida. That's going back before many AGS readers were born (and eight before there was such a thing as the BCS), and you have a grand total of zero wins (let alone years with 2 FBS wins). So concede the victories-over-FBS-teams totem to the Bison, and focus on your other more impressive records and vow to beat them on the field this year if and when you get a chance!

Tod
November 26th, 2011, 04:14 AM
I'm really not sure you can fault NDSU for scheduling these games. It's not like they can guarantee that the relative FBS teams will actually be decent when the games are slated. Minnesota, and Kansas before that, are both BCS teams that potentially could have been good. Credit the Bison for playing them. It's not like any FCS team can call up USC, Ohio State, etc etc and easily slate a game.

But, I'd suggest this is really just a strawman - I mean, if the Bison are playing "weak" FBS teams, surely GSU is scheduling and beating FBS teams with a more impressive resume, right?

So, OK, credit GSU for getting Alabama this year (and getting beat, albeit by a respectable amount with a good box score). Last year you lost to Navy. In 2008, Georgia. In 2004, Georgia. In 2000, Georgia (like an election year cabal for you guys). In 1996, Florida. In 1994, Miami. In 1993, Miami. In 1992, Georgia. 91, Auburn; 90, Florida State; 86, Florida. That's going back before many AGS readers were born (and eight before there was such a thing as the BCS), and you have a grand total of zero wins (let alone years with 2 FBS wins). So concede the victories-over-FBS-teams totem to the Bison, and focus on your other more impressive records and vow to beat them on the field this year if and when you get a chance!

Kudos on a fine post. xnodx

GridCaptain
November 26th, 2011, 05:39 AM
Only 6 of the top 20 on this list made the field of 20. The Patriot League is a joke and their playoff winning percentage proves that. If Lehigh makes it to the round of 8 I will never post on this forum again.

gseagle
November 26th, 2011, 06:40 AM

tell me which fcs team, if playing those same fbs teams during those same years, u think would have a better record.

Engineer86
November 26th, 2011, 07:03 AM

For some reason when ever I see this I am starting to hear Peanuts characters talking.

GridCaptain
November 26th, 2011, 07:05 AM
Any after next Saturday you will hear crickets in your football staff room.

Ronbo
November 26th, 2011, 07:07 AM
You need to consider who a team plays not just random win loss records for strength of schedule. In the Big Sky teams 3-8 were pretty even and beat up on each other resulting in .500 or worse Conference records. Big Sky teams play lots of FBS games also, sometimes against FBS teams that end with 3-9 records but still are good enough to beat most FCS teams. Northern Colorado 0-11 in the Big Sky, would be 5-6 maybe 6-5 in the Big South, Patriot, or MEAC.

These strength of schedule rankings are deceiving when they just consider win/loss as FCS Division is a mix of boderline FBS talent teams, Division 2 level talent teams, Division 3 level talent teams, and NAIA level talent teams.

Engineer86
November 26th, 2011, 07:09 AM
Only 6 of the top 20 on this list made the field of 20. The Patriot League is a joke and their playoff winning percentage proves that. If Lehigh makes it to the round of 8 I will never post on this forum again.

Get a clue or at least check your facts. Do they win championships, no, but are they a league that "power league" teams can look past in the first round, NO. Lehigh is 4-2 since 1998 in the first round. Colgate went to the finals. Far from the bottom teir.

If this is the type of posts you contribute, you may offset the Fan in rooting for Lehigh.

straightshooter
November 26th, 2011, 07:11 AM
And GSU has Georgia in 2012, Florida in 2013, LSU in 2014 and Georgia Tech in 2015. As good as GSU might be, I'm not sensing very many victories from that list of teams. Yes, GSU did lose 13-7 to Navy in 2010 in the second game of Monken's HC career and the second game running the TO this group of players ever played in. By the way, Navy went to an FBS bowl game last year and not a one or two win team. Please list the FCS wins over bowl bound teams over the past four or five years.

With regards to the toughest schedule, I don't think this thread is about that. This list is about the won/loss records of teams played and not the strengh of the schedule.

GridCaptain
November 26th, 2011, 07:11 AM
Patriot League = Pioneer League. Big Sky teams play some tough teams indeed. Great point! Montana also has some stones to play non-league FCS opponents who are tough like Appalachian State and even McNeese of the Southland, which while down a bit now, is about to come back strong.

The bad thing for FCS is that when the playoffs expand to 24 that their may well be automatic bids going to some of these weak leagues instead of rewarding stronger teams from the AQ leagues. Does anyone think that Georgetown, the #2 of the Patriot League could compete on any level with the #6 team of the CAA in Delaware? No way. Georgetown would be 0-8 playing a full CAA schedule.

Engineer86
November 26th, 2011, 07:18 AM
Patriot League = Pioneer League. Big Sky teams play some tough teams indeed. Great point! Montana also has some stones to play non-league FCS opponents who are tough like Appalachian State and even McNeese of the Southland, which while down a bit now, is about to come back strong.

The bad thing for FCS is that when the playoffs expand to 24 that their may well be automatic bids going to some of these weak leagues instead of rewarding stronger teams from the AQ leagues. Does anyone think that Georgetown, the #2 of the Patriot League could compete on any level with the #6 team of the CAA in Delaware? No way. Georgetown would be 0-8 playing a full CAA schedule.

Nice opinion, let me know whne you have some facts to back up your EARLIER post. Until then, since you are a little dense, if Lehigh beats Towson, they are in the round of 8, such a shame to lose such a genius from the board.

GridCaptain
November 26th, 2011, 07:25 AM
Uh, yeah. So from my prediction you can see what I think of Lehigh. Amazing consistency. Lehigh is a joke from a joke league. The CAA, while down, will rise up, until the point that they play Georgia Southern. I would bet you that Georgia Southern could play their game next week and then play a second game 2 hours later and still beat Lehigh with their 2nd team. The Eagles have depth, speed, and athleticism and have played a real football schedule. Lehigh - none of the above.

Engineer86
November 26th, 2011, 07:53 AM
Uh, yeah. So from my prediction you can see what I think of Lehigh. Amazing consistency. Lehigh is a joke from a joke league. The CAA, while down, will rise up, until the point that they play Georgia Southern. I would bet you that Georgia Southern could play their game next week and then play a second game 2 hours later and still beat Lehigh with their 2nd team. The Eagles have depth, speed, and athleticism and have played a real football schedule. Lehigh - none of the above.

Again, you bring nothing but opinion. Last I checked. Lehigh was playing Towson, not GSU. But I am not surprised that you don't know that. xholyxxbangx Remember one win and you leave. xlolxxthumbsupxxlolxxpeacexxlolx

Bogus Megapardus
November 26th, 2011, 08:09 AM
And guess who is ranked as having the toughest FCS schedule? xsmashx

caribbeanhen
November 26th, 2011, 08:11 AM
Stoney Brook vs SAM Houston will be a great ball game i believe.... with Stoney Brook coming out ahead

blackfordpu
November 26th, 2011, 10:23 AM

Seeing as how the Kats only lose 12 seniors this year, McNeese doesn't have an easy road to, as you put it, "come back strong".

Grizzaholic
November 26th, 2011, 10:29 AM

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!

X-Factor
November 26th, 2011, 10:54 AM
And GSU has Georgia in 2012, Florida in 2013, LSU in 2014 and Georgia Tech in 2015. As good as GSU might be, I'm not sensing very many victories from that list of teams. Yes, GSU did lose 13-7 to Navy in 2010 in the second game of Monken's HC career and the second game running the TO this group of players ever played in. By the way, Navy went to an FBS bowl game last year and not a one or two win team. Please list the FCS wins over bowl bound teams over the past four or five years.

In 2007 Central Michigan won the MAC and played Purdue for their bowl. NDSU won 41-14. Good enough?

Everyone craps on NDSU's FBS victories, yet i know of no team with a better (or even remotely close for that matter) resume against the 85 scholarship teams.

X-Factor
November 26th, 2011, 12:23 PM

In 2007 Central Michigan won the MAC and played Purdue for their bowl. NDSU won 41-14. Good enough?

Everyone craps on NDSU's FBS victories, yet i know of no team with a better (or even remotely close for that matter) resume against the 85 scholarship teams.

Sam_Kats
November 26th, 2011, 12:43 PM
Montana is ranked #92 - yet no one is griping about that. Hmmmm

DJKyR0
November 26th, 2011, 12:44 PM

Montana isn't the overall number-one seed. :)

Sorry, just playing Devil's Advocate.

Cleets
November 26th, 2011, 12:44 PM

Shh....

xshhhx

Sam_Kats
November 26th, 2011, 12:53 PM
So, SFA gets a paycheck from Baylor & brings in a NIU team yet also hosts a DII school - plays the same SLC slate as we do...and that's the difference between 80 spots?? Give me a break. Give up this argument.

And on that note...

NIU 34
SFA 23

SH 45
SFA 10

FargoBison
November 26th, 2011, 12:58 PM

Massey ranks their schedule #22, which is a thousand times better than the NCAA's SOS.

Drblankstare
November 26th, 2011, 01:56 PM
Sam hasn't played the toughest schedule, so what. They won them all, and now they have the chance to prove themselves to everyone. God bless the playoffs

Silenoz
November 26th, 2011, 02:04 PM
Hmm, that thing is handicapping teams who are matched up with play-in games...

katstrapper
November 26th, 2011, 03:53 PM
You people continue to beat a dead horse. When are you going to give it up and SHUT UP about SOS. Schedules are put together at least 2 years ahead. I have never heard so much WHINING from everyone in the SoCon, CAA, MVFC and Big Sky.. GIVE IT A REST!!

ALL I GOT TO SAY IS SEE YOU IN HUNTSVILLE WHINERS!!

RichH2
November 26th, 2011, 04:26 PM

Cool

Bogus Megapardus
November 26th, 2011, 04:50 PM
The Patriot League is a joke and their playoff winning percentage proves that. If Lehigh makes it to the round of 8 I will never post on this forum again.

Given that your first post was two days ago, one question that arises immediately is whether or not anybody would miss you. Another will be when it comes time to boast of your non-posting here, in the even of a Lehigh win. How will you remind everybody that you were right all along? You really ought to think these things through in advance.

Engineer86
December 3rd, 2011, 06:08 PM

GridCaptain. I just wanted to say goodbye. I know you can't post to reply. But I don't feel too bad that I did not get to know you, because as I said before, you don't check your facts. Poof!

Cleets
December 3rd, 2011, 06:10 PM
GridCaptain. I just wanted to say goodbye. I know you can't post to reply. But I don't feel too bad that I did not get to know you, because as I said before, you don't check your facts. Poof!

It's always a tragedy when these things happen.. sad really

xsmhx

Engineer86
December 3rd, 2011, 07:16 PM

I don't want this to get lost!