PDA

View Full Version : pick the first round upset

caribbeanhen
November 25th, 2011, 12:10 PM
I am not getting a good feel for these games but if forced to pick one I say JMU will be eliminated on saturday, and Stoney Brook defeats Sammy Houston State the following..

Cleets
November 25th, 2011, 12:25 PM
I am not getting a good feel for these games but if forced to pick one I say JMU will be eliminated on saturday, and Stoney Brook defeats Sammy Houston State the following..

Sam doesn't play in the first round...
And I am not sure if the 8 teams playing in the first round are really able to be favored so much that winning or losing by any of them qualifies as an upset (in that round)

Now the second round might have some upsets...!!!!

TexasTerror
November 25th, 2011, 12:27 PM
SHSU in the first round? LOL

If we were competing in the first round, I may give you an opportunity to throw that one out there.

I do not think SHSU loses to Stony Brook or Albany, but would not be surprised if we lose the following weekend(s). Hoping for the best, but think SHSU has two weeks to prepare for Albany or Stony Brook... and considering our coaching staff (and the guys with Div I head coaching experience on both sides of the ball, in addition to our HC), our guys are going to be in a VERY good position to win. Most well prepared team we've ever had...

caribbeanhen
November 25th, 2011, 12:33 PM
I said the following.... as in week, if I have Stoney Brook beating then it can't be the first round can it

katstrapper
November 25th, 2011, 12:39 PM
Even though this thread is about the first round, I really didnt even need to open this thread to know what the answer would be.

I do not think SHSU loses to Stony Brook or Albany, but would not be surprised if we lose the following weekend(s). Hoping for the best, but think SHSU has two weeks to prepare for Albany or Stony Brook... and considering our coaching staff (and the guys with Div I head coaching experience on both sides of the ball, in addition to our HC), our guys are going to be in a VERY good position to win. Most well prepared team we've ever had...

Its obvious you havent seen this team play. I will say that I WILL BE SURPRISED if we are not in the semi-final game.

Grizzaholic
November 25th, 2011, 01:05 PM
SHSU in the first round? LOL

If we were competing in the first round, I may give you an opportunity to throw that one out there.

Time for some reading classes.

GSU Eagle
November 25th, 2011, 01:17 PM
Who is favored in the 4 1st round games?

Cleets
November 25th, 2011, 01:19 PM

I'm suspicious of anybody being favored in those games...
How could anybody really know with those match-ups it's damn near impossible to guess what the on field chemistry will look like

danefan
November 25th, 2011, 01:20 PM

Stony Brook
jMU
Tenn Tech
ODU

GSU Eagle
November 25th, 2011, 01:46 PM
I am going with Central Arkansas to beat Tennessee Tech. In recent history the OVC has not won very many playoff games and I think UCA had a nice season.

caribbeanhen
November 25th, 2011, 02:56 PM
I am going with Central Arkansas to beat Tennessee Tech. In recent history the OVC has not won very many playoff games and I think UCA had a nice season.

me too, but who knows if thats really an upset

TTUEagles
November 25th, 2011, 03:03 PM
I'm a Tennessee Tech fan and even though I love this team, I consider 'us' to be an underdog in this one...I cannot fathom why TTU would be favored, except that it's in Cookeville. Don't get me wrong, I think TECH can win but, I think it's going to be very, very tough.

caribbeanhen
November 25th, 2011, 05:00 PM
I'm a Tennessee Tech fan and even though I love this team, I consider 'us' to be an underdog in this one...I cannot fathom why TTU would be favored, except that it's in Cookeville. Don't get me wrong, I think TECH can win but, I think it's going to be very, very tough.

you guys lost some home games this year I see, what is your average attendance?

gsu6trophies
November 25th, 2011, 06:08 PM
For me the first round feels like a play in or wild card round. Thus making the second round feel like the first.

ngineer
November 25th, 2011, 07:04 PM
I see three of the four being real toss-ups: Albany/SBU; Tenn. Tech/UCA; EKU/JMU. Only the NSU/ODU game do I see a prohibitive favorite, with ODU coming out of the CAA as being seriously favored. I see NSU winning only if the turnover bug bites at key times. Therefore, the only game where an "upset" can occur would be this one, but I don't give NSU more than a 1:5 chance of winning.

TTUEagles
November 25th, 2011, 07:12 PM
you guys lost some home games this year I see, what is your average attendance?

Averaged 9,000 in 5 games (stadium seats 16,500)...My contention is that in 2 TTU home losses, TTU faced pass-first teams...This is what UCA seems to me to be...Despite our overall defensive statistics, we've struggled against passing teams. I think "we" can out-score them, though....we'll have to...

MR. CHICKEN
November 25th, 2011, 07:30 PM
LET US EXAMINE...BAH AGS TOP 25 WEEK 12 POLL RESULTS:

STONY BROOK #20 vs ALBANY #25...............GREAT DANE W= UPSET!
C. ARKANSAS #14 vs TENN. TECH. #21......GOLDEN EAGLE W= UPSET!
JMU #16 vs E. KENTUCKY #30.........................COLONELS W= UPSET!
ODU # 10 vs NORFOLK STATE #19.....................SPARTAN W= UPSET!

TwoFeathers
November 25th, 2011, 08:36 PM
Stony Brook
jMU
Tenn Tech
ODU

I say no upsets in RD 1.

forthandinches
November 25th, 2011, 08:48 PM
LET US EXAMINE...BAH AGS TOP 25 WEEK 12 POLL RESULTS:

STONY BROOK #20 vs ALBANY #25...............GREAT DANE W= UPSET!
C. ARKANSAS #14 vs TENN. TECH. #21......GOLDEN EAGLE W= UPSET!
JMU #16 vs E. KENTUCKY #30.........................COLONELS W= UPSET!
ODU # 10 vs NORFOLK STATE #19.....................SPARTAN W= UPSET!

I'm liking this guys' attitude...I'm also thinking that both JMU and ODU might be over confident being in the CAA and all, they're probably already looking forward to the second round. I'd like to see Albany win just for good measure...my deceased best bud was a CUA alum so I'm rooting for them as well. These games should be a great start to the playoffs but its a pity that they won't be televised.

HIU 93
November 25th, 2011, 09:23 PM
I see three of the four being real toss-ups: Albany/SBU; Tenn. Tech/UCA; EKU/JMU. Only the NSU/ODU game do I see a prohibitive favorite, with ODU coming out of the CAA as being seriously favored. I see NSU winning only if the turnover bug bites at key times. Therefore, the only game where an "upset" can occur would be this one, but I don't give NSU more than a 1:5 chance of winning.

Pete Adrian's team is ready- NSU wins a close one. ODU barely beat us, and we SUCKED this year. NSU is VERY good, with only one hiccup this year. NSU has better kickers. The kickers could be important in a close game.

PS- Forget AGS rankings, NSU has a better team.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 25th, 2011, 09:24 PM
Seeing as there's nobody with any cohones, I'll get this party started. Norfolk State beats ODU in the first round.

Squealofthepig
November 25th, 2011, 10:55 PM
Seeing as there's nobody with any cohones, I'll get this party started. Norfolk State beats ODU in the first round.

I think the issue is that for the most part there isn't a clear favorite, and so "upset" is a bit of a misnomer. It's like upsets in the play-in for the NCAA basketball tourney; you're not going to see a two touchdown spread in any of these (unless I misread the one 5dimes posting). JMU/EKU is the odd one out, as EKU is probably the underdog in that one, but I don't think it's by more than a touchdown.

lehighfball
November 26th, 2011, 02:57 AM
EKY beats JMU

Cleets
November 26th, 2011, 03:15 AM
EKY beats JMU

That seems to be the consensus around here - but - I'm thinking... Nope not a chance

caribbeanhen
November 26th, 2011, 08:24 AM

MEAC over CAA.... wow, and when was the last time that happened?

blackfordpu
November 26th, 2011, 10:31 AM
I said the following.... as in week, if I have Stoney Brook beating then it can't be the first round can it

Since the title of the thread is "pick the first round upset" I don't really see why a second round game was brought up.

You guys can keep hating on the Kats. That just means we have arrived and people are worried.