PDA

View Full Version : Four Reasons Why NDSU can Win in the Playoffs

DJKyR0
November 25th, 2011, 05:13 AM
A sleepless Thanksgiving night has resulted in some stat-crunching and I came up with a few reasons why NDSU is a dangerous team in this postseason.

#1. The Bison take care of the football. As another poster noted on a different thread, there is exactly one team in the playoff field that is negative in the giveaway-takeaway category (UNH), highlighting the age-old trend of not winning football games if you cough the ball up. QB Jensen has been ultra-efficient this season and has thrown just two interceptions all year, though a potential third was called back on a roughing the passer penalty. Though Jensen's accuracy (and thus production) took a bit of a dip in the last three games of the season due to a nagging turf toe injury, his statistically-worst game comes with a 50% completion mark, which still isn't bad. He was able to bump his accuracy back up vs. WIU and with a week of rest, one has to think he'll be able to better acclimate himself to his injury and get back to midseason form.

#2. The Bison can keep teams out of the endzone. Here's one from the stat books: 48 TDs scored vs. 20 TDs allowed on the season in a conference that includes five teams in the top 51 scoring offenses in the nation. That, combined with a scoring defense allowing 14.91 points per game, is what has allowed the Bison to win eight of their ten games by double digits, and the one loss was by three points. With the Tampa-2 "bend but don't break" scheme Defensive Coordinator Scott Hazelton runs, the Bison are allowing just three trips to the red zone per game, and opponents score just 75% of the time there - thus, the Bison know how to stiffen defensively.

#3. The Bison players and coaches have been here before. Coach Bohl is used to the view from the top from the 06-07 years and led this team to an improbable playoff run last year with a disciplined rushing attack and strong line play. This team is dominated by underclassmen who cut their teeth in the playoffs last season and who put their noses to the grindstone this year to replicate the success they had last season. One thing this coaching staff excels at is adjustments - take a look at the scoring by quarter across all eleven games this year:

SCORE BY QUARTERS 1st 2nd 3rd 4th Total
-------------------- --- --- --- --- ---
North Dakota State.. 55 132 111 70 - 368
Opponents........... 23 51 34 56 - 164

That indicates an ability to make offensive changes after the first quarter (when frequently we've found ourselves knocking on the door as the first quarter ticks out) and more so at halftime. The lone spot of concern is that the fourth quarter has been the proverbial "fertile ground" scoring-wise for opposing teams.

#4. Home advantage through to Frisco. Self explanatory. Even UNI coach Mark Farley attributed our win over the Panthers to the crowd, and with his distaste for NDSU, that seems high praise. Tickets are going and the Fargodome should be packed - since 2006, the Bison are 26-8 at home (including a dominant 1-0 in the FCS playoffs xthumbsupx) and the marketing team is gearing this fanbase up to get wild during the playoffs.

Just a few and I'm sure I'll dig up something else in the morning. Just some things to ponder, and I'm sure NDSU isn't the only team that exhibits these characteristics. Injuries are a concern for the Bison, and our rushing attack isn't what it was last year, but the team as a whole has improved at nearly every level since last season - we're ready to rock and roll.

darell1976
November 25th, 2011, 07:54 AM
Is #4 a guarantee?

Gil Dobie
November 25th, 2011, 08:00 AM
Is #4 a guarantee?

#1 seed is in the other bracket, so yes, as long as NDSU wins.

344Johnson
November 25th, 2011, 10:29 AM
#1 seed is in the other bracket, so yes, as long as NDSU wins.

He is a UND fan...I assume he was making a bit of a joke about the playoff attendence last year.

b_f_c_99
November 25th, 2011, 12:08 PM
Really, these threads you NDSU fans keep starting just scream "look at us, we're good aren't we? Right, we have a chance don't we?"

So just relax you're going to get to show everyone if your good or not.

As I stated earlier in the year, NDSU is a very solid team. However here is a couple of reasons why it won't be a big suprise if/when you get beat.

#1 You play a style of football that is perfectly suited for beating inferior teams, as in you play power football against teams that you can overpower except that little problem with Youngstown but yeah that was just a bad week.

#2 In all likely hood you will play JMU in the 2nd round, all they do is play teams that play that same style of football, but I'm sure your much better than all those CAA teams. So don't be suprised! Just saying.

No_Skill
November 25th, 2011, 12:19 PM
If we play JMU, I don't think we will be overlooking them. They could very well beat us, but that's why we play the games.

Honestly, I would prefer to play JMU. It is a better precursor to future games.

FargoBison
November 25th, 2011, 12:24 PM
As I stated earlier in the year, NDSU is a very solid team. However here is a couple of reasons why it won't be a big suprise if/when you get beat.

#1 You play a style of football that is perfectly suited for beating inferior teams, as in you play power football against teams that you can overpower except that little problem with Youngstown but yeah that was just a bad week.

#2 In all likely hood you will play JMU in the 2nd round, all they do is play teams that play like you, so don't be suprised! Just saying.

We've done just fine vs good teams and even teams with better talent.

bisonwest
November 25th, 2011, 12:31 PM
He is a UND fan...I assume he was making a bit of a joke about the playoff attendence last year.

This I am almost certain of, that every game we play in the 2011 playoffs will draw 18k+. Thanksgiving weekend really did hurt our turnout at our home playoff game last year. I had heard there was only 500 tickets left for our game against JMU/EKU (can't confirm that though). If he is poking fun it is probably because we have a bunch of fans that constantly make fun of UND for poor attendance at their DII playoff games, which is really getting old and is of no consequence anymore anyways.

b_f_c_99
November 25th, 2011, 12:33 PM
We've done just fine vs good teams and even teams with better talent.

Not the point, it only takes once in the playoffs.

b_f_c_99
November 25th, 2011, 12:36 PM
If we play JMU, I don't think we will be overlooking them. They could very well beat us, but that's why we play the games.

Honestly, I would prefer to play JMU. It is a better precursor to future games.

I don't think you were overlooking Youngstown either, frankly that was a good loss for you. Good education in what you do and don't do well.

FargoBison
November 25th, 2011, 12:39 PM
Not the point, it only takes once in the playoffs.

No what you are saying could be said about every team in the playoffs. If you don't show up to play you will get beat. What a revelation.

Yes, the YSU loss was good for NDSU because it showed what happens when you don't play your best football.

darell1976
November 25th, 2011, 12:46 PM

Actually it was no joke. I didn't know if you get an automatic home field advantage like the NFL or if you have to bid against every team you will play. Not everything has to be a slam against NDSU from a UND fan.

BisonFan02
November 25th, 2011, 12:59 PM
Actually it was no joke. I didn't know if you get an automatic home field advantage like the NFL or if you have to bid against every team you will play. Not everything has to be a slam against NDSU from a UND fan.

I believe seeded teams still have to bid, but it's only the minimum and they automatically win. Chump change for NDSU to spend for a home game.

No_Skill
November 25th, 2011, 01:01 PM
I don't think you were overlooking Youngstown either, frankly that was a good loss for you. Good education in what you do and don't do well.

I agree. If there ever was such a thing as a good loss, that was it. Hopefully we can learn from it and refocus.

semobison
November 25th, 2011, 01:30 PM
What is with all these NDSU, "look at me threads", started by Bison fans!

darell1976
November 25th, 2011, 01:39 PM

Reminds of the Vikings in 1998 when they were almost Super Bowl bound...they even played Welcome To Miami by Will Smith on the radio when referring to the Vikings...til Gary Anderson f'ed them up and Atlanta went instead. There is a reason to be excited Bison fans, I know I would be if it was my team but there is a line in being excited and cocky, and NDSU fans you are flirting with it. Think of the backlash if you were to lose with all these "look at me" threads.

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 25th, 2011, 01:40 PM

Don't read them....pretty easy.

LakesBison
November 25th, 2011, 02:06 PM
darrel, go away, quit ruining another thread with your mindless drivel.

NICE TOP 4 DJ. looks solid. the NOISE LEVEL IN THE FARGODOME WITH 19,000+ (all tickets are sold out already except for maybe some corporate tickets) WILL BE INSANE!

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 25th, 2011, 02:08 PM
It will be hard for any team to come to the FargoDome and win...period.

darell1976
November 25th, 2011, 02:09 PM
darrel, go away, quit ruining another thread with your mindless drivel.

NICE TOP 4 DJ. looks solid. the NOISE LEVEL IN THE FARGODOME WITH 19,000+ (all tickets are sold out already except for maybe some corporate tickets) WILL BE INSANE!

I am not the one being called a moron by fellow Bison fans.xlolx

darell1976
November 25th, 2011, 02:10 PM
It will be hard for any team to come to the FargoDome and win...period.

Tell that to YSU.

LakesBison
November 25th, 2011, 02:12 PM
YSU 3 point win, we know that, now go away TROLL

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 25th, 2011, 02:19 PM
Tell that to YSU.

This coming from you.....your team barely squeeking out a win against NAIA Sioux Falls..... good one.

Like I said....it is tough for a opposing team to win in the FD.

darell1976
November 25th, 2011, 02:32 PM
This coming from you.....your team barely squeeking out a win against NAIA Sioux Falls..... good one.

Like I said....it is tough for a opposing team to win in the FD.

Sure its tough but it happens...we had great success in the Fargodome, anybody can beat anybody.

LakesBison
November 25th, 2011, 03:02 PM
dam this guy is mentally retarded. go away. he is their only fan! what a joke.

Gil Dobie
November 25th, 2011, 03:06 PM
Tell that to YSU.

So it was easy for YSU to win?

LakesBison
November 25th, 2011, 03:22 PM
GIL dont answer him.

BACK TO THE GAME> Im ready for MWILL to get some passes, how about a screen to him with Grothman, Turner, Richards out blocking for him, MY O MY

darell1976
November 25th, 2011, 03:25 PM
So it was easy for YSU to win?

I am sure it was tough as is anyone who plays on the road. NDSU is beatable in the dome yes its tough but if you prepare yourself or play a very overconfident NDSU team the away team can win.

LakesBison
November 25th, 2011, 03:26 PM
dude, GO AWAY, the naia playoffs are being played, go there.

NoDak 4 Ever
November 25th, 2011, 03:30 PM
YSU 3 point win, we know that, now go away TROLL

Hah! You make people miss TheFan.

NoDak 4 Ever
November 25th, 2011, 03:31 PM
Tell that to YSU.

If DJ doesn't drop that inexplicable fumble, NDSU wins by at least 14. That was a game changer.

semobison
November 25th, 2011, 03:40 PM
If DJ doesn't drop that inexplicable fumble, NDSU wins by at least 14. That was a game changer.

Some of you guys have to take off the green and gold glasses! DJ's fumble was big, but a roughing the passer penalty on Brocks Int, gave us 7 points and evened things out! We didnt play our best game that day, but YSU outplayed us! They were the better team that day! If we dont play better than we played the last two games of the season we will be lucky to see the semi's! That being said, if we get healed, play like we did against UNI, we will be tough to beat! Reality is...we could win it all, or we could lose early! Lets hope the injuries heal and we return to mid-season form!

NoDak 4 Ever
November 25th, 2011, 03:51 PM
Some of you guys have to take off the green and gold glasses! DJ's fumble was big, but a roughing the passer penalty on Brocks Int, gave us 7 points and evened things out! We didnt play our best game that day, but YSU outplayed us! They were the better team that day! If we dont play better than we played the last two games of the season we will be lucky to see the semi's! That being said, if we get healed, play like we did against UNI, we will be tough to beat! Reality is...we could win it all, or we could lose early! Lets hope the injuries heal and we return to mid-season form!

Follow me for a bit. McNorton wasn't touched and would easily have finished that run in the end zone. With a good extra point (almost a given these days) we have a 28-17 game. Even giving YSU the next touchdown (who knows how it would have gone with a kickoff, etc) It is 28-24. See how NDSU isn't trailing at this point? Becomes a completely different game. YSU is playing catch up instead of from ahead and the Bison aren't deflated from a costly mistake. It isn't just a "we got one call, they got a makeup". The whole game dynamic changes.

If the Bison, after scoring so quickly on the opening drive of the second half play up instead of down, who knows if YSU scores that touchdown? Who knows if 28-17 doesn't become 31-17 or even 35-17? We see that YSU doesn't score another touchdown after the beginning of the 2nd half. That was easily a 14 point swing and we know the game was only a 3 pt affair.

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 25th, 2011, 03:59 PM

Ya, YSU deserved to win that game but the Bison did not help themselves either.

An extra week of rest will help this team. Whoever comes to Fargo in that 2nd round will get beat by at least 2 TDs.

DJKyR0
November 25th, 2011, 04:00 PM
Really, these threads you NDSU fans keep starting just scream "look at us, we're good aren't we? Right, we have a chance don't we?"

Sorry? Plenty of other fans have made posts listing the strengths of their teams and why they think they can go far. Note how I didn't say "We're basically a lock for Frisco" or anything near that. I made a friggin' post listing out why I, in the capacity of covering this team for the media, think we have a shot. Why is it NDSU fans immediately get a bad label for doing so when just a few weeks ago there were "Reasons why App. State will crush GSU" threads getting started left and right?

**** me for trying, I guess.

semobison
November 25th, 2011, 04:10 PM
Follow me for a bit. McNorton wasn't touched and would easily have finished that run in the end zone. With a good extra point (almost a given these days) we have a 28-17 game. Even giving YSU the next touchdown (who knows how it would have gone with a kickoff, etc) It is 28-24. See how NDSU isn't trailing at this point? Becomes a completely different game. YSU is playing catch up instead of from ahead and the Bison aren't deflated from a costly mistake. It isn't just a "we got one call, they got a makeup". The whole game dynamic changes.

If the Bison, after scoring so quickly on the opening drive of the second half play up instead of down, who knows if YSU scores that touchdown? Who knows if 28-17 doesn't become 31-17 or even 35-17? We see that YSU doesn't score another touchdown after the beginning of the 2nd half. That was easily a 14 point swing and we know the game was only a 3 pt affair.

Do you remember the 2nd quarter roughing the passer penalty?? Instead of Brock throwing an Int, we scored a few plays later! IMO that 7 made up for DJ's fumble! If you look at the stats for that game, we were definately outplayed! Total yards 451-293!, First downs 24-11! Time of possessions 37+ minutes to 22+ minutes! If we give up 450 yards in a playoff game most likely we will be done for the year! The biggest reason we went 10-1 this year was turnover margin! It didnt happen against YSU! ...Now I agree, DJ doesnt fumble, we probably win, but we were outplayed! Give Youngstown Credit!

semobison
November 25th, 2011, 05:35 PM
Sorry? Plenty of other fans have made posts listing the strengths of their teams and why they think they can go far. Note how I didn't say "We're basically a lock for Frisco" or anything near that. I made a friggin' post listing out why I, in the capacity of covering this team for the media, think we have a shot. Why is it NDSU fans immediately get a bad label for doing so when just a few weeks ago there were "Reasons why App. State will crush GSU" threads getting started left and right?

**** me for trying, I guess.

DJ, Nothing really wrong with what you posted, there was some good information. The timing imo probably wasn't very good considering the other threads including "Your team against NDSU" etc..started by other Bison fans! We are rapidly getting the reputation of having a very passionate fan base, which is good! Unfortunatly we have some overzelous uninformed fans who in some instances have let their green n gold glasses get in the way of reality! Its almost like having a few mini-Lakes out there posting! My apology to you for my comment on starting this thread! To other Bison fans, be humble, stay classy and be informed!

DJKyR0
November 25th, 2011, 05:38 PM
DJ, Nothing really wrong with what you posted, there was some good information. The timing imo probably wasn't very good considering the other threads including "Your team against NDSU" etc..started by other Bison fans! We are rapidly getting the reputation of having a very passionate fan base, which is good! Unfortunatly we have some overzelous uninformed fans who in some instances have let their green n gold glasses get in the way of reality! Its almost like having a few mini-Lakes out there posting! My apology to you for my comment on starting this thread! To other Bison fans, be humble, stay classy and be informed!

I dig it. Just not a huge fan of the apparent double-standard for Bison fans versus every other heavy-hitter program in FCS, in that we get dragged through the mud for being proud of our team when every other team doesn't. Agree with you on the last point - we have a few posters who have been dickholes in the past and we unfairly need to live that down.

FargoBison
November 25th, 2011, 05:39 PM

A Bison fan started the "your team vs NDSU" in jest to the threads posted by a gsufan and a Montana fan who started threads for their own team vs NDSU.

DJ is right, there is tremendous double standard and it has been going on for a long time. We did make asses of ourselves in 2007-2008 but we've paid for those sins. Now we just have a few idiots but so do most other teams, the vast majority of our fanbase is pretty solid.

Houndawg
November 25th, 2011, 06:27 PM

If Kory Faulkner isn't making his first start at QB, SIU wins fairly easily.

Works both ways.xcoffeex

DJKyR0
November 25th, 2011, 06:30 PM

Works both ways.xcoffeex

Because a guy with five touchdowns on the rest of the season for a 4-win team would absolutely have been a thread will a little more seasoning. Moot point as of now, at any rate.

straightshooter
November 25th, 2011, 06:41 PM
If ifs and buts were candy and nuts, what a Merry Christmas we'd all have...got to play the hand you're dealt guys and it's a new season for 20 teams. It's the playoff season.

da_Bison
November 25th, 2011, 06:43 PM

Works both ways.xcoffeex

We didn't come to play simple as that, the guys weren't into the game(we did have our playoff spot secured win or lose) every team has a couple lathargic emotionally out of it games. Ours were SIU and YSU. Kinda like YSU having an let down against MSU, they brought everything at us and the following week had a let down. I could go back over years and years of games and the let down games are all over the place, even years we won National Championships. Most times we're good enough to win regardless of an emotionally out of it game , like the SIU game.

With all that said, there's NO reason to have an emotional let down in the playoffs!

NoDak 4 Ever
November 25th, 2011, 06:49 PM
an finally, the main reason why you will not be able to win in the playoffs:

1. You lost at home less than 2 weeks ago to an unranked, non-playoff team....

What's the matter, dope? No responses to your delusions of grandeur on the other threads? Or just feel like derailing another one?

DJKyR0
November 25th, 2011, 06:49 PM

You have a dozen other threads to post your crap. Do it somewhere else. Three ranked victories (more than Lehigh) and a win over a Big Ten squad imply that we should be able to hold our own.

Hammerhead
November 25th, 2011, 06:51 PM
The title of the thread is Four Reasons Why NDSU can Win in the Playoffs. It isn't Four Reasons Why NDSU will Win in the Playoffs.

I like our chances better this year with the #2 seed vs. last year where we had to play in the 1st round.

cbarrier90
November 25th, 2011, 06:57 PM

2007: Appalachian State's 5 year, 30 game long home winning streak is ended by an unranked Georgia Southern squad that finished 7-4 and controversially missed the playoffs. ASU went on to crush Delaware in the national championship game.

Just sayin'...xcoffeex

LakesBison
November 25th, 2011, 10:09 PM
dudes..... relax... NDSU HAS THIS.. CYA IN FRISCO... NOW LETS SCOUT JMU/EKU tomorrow at BWWS north... PEACE!!

Grizzaholic
November 25th, 2011, 10:10 PM
dudes..... relax... NDSU HAS THIS.. CYA IN FRISCO.

You are no BlackFalkin.

LakesBison
November 25th, 2011, 10:12 PM
I poop out black falkin's in the toilet