PDA

View Full Version : Lehigh vs Towson: Non-Hater Version

Pages : [1] 2 3

LehighGuy
November 22nd, 2011, 02:02 PM
This thread is to discuss the upcoming playoff game between Lehigh and Towson in a reasonable and level-headed manner. No haters, crazies, trolls, or fan boys allowed.

My first question: WHERE IS THE TAILGATE?!?!?!

RichH2
November 22nd, 2011, 02:10 PM
i wish I was as optimistic as you but I fear Fan will see this and we'll be off trolling for 20 or 30 pages. It would be great to get some posts on TU team from fans on the game

Lehigh Lover
November 22nd, 2011, 02:13 PM
Love the 3:30 kickoff time.

RichH2
November 22nd, 2011, 02:16 PM
Saw that, makes an easier drive down for me. Basically a nite game. No sun glare to hamper wrs.xrolleyesx Expect it will be a tad chilly

mhawks21
November 22nd, 2011, 02:18 PM
3:30 is definitely a good time. Any word if Lehigh sold out its ticket allotment? I would expect a sell-out with TU being a short ride.

RichH2
November 22nd, 2011, 02:22 PM
Not yet. But given scuttlebutt it will sell out shortly.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 22nd, 2011, 02:25 PM
Thinking about making it a family affair - should be a great game!

RichH2
November 22nd, 2011, 02:30 PM
I may have some extra tickets as MBW has indicated a reluctance to travel again so soon for football in the cold. She has volunteered to check out Aruba for me. Son and I coming down.

Bogus Megapardus
November 22nd, 2011, 02:47 PM
This thread is to discuss the upcoming playoff game between Lehigh and Towson in a reasonable and level-headed manner. No haters, crazies, trolls, or fan boys allowed.

I have a dilemma. I hate Lehigh with an unquenchable, enduring passion. Yet I wish the Feathered Folderol a victory because I support the Patriot League with an equivalent vigor. Am I permitted to post?

Lehigh Football Nation
November 22nd, 2011, 02:56 PM
I have a dilemma. I hate Lehigh with an unquenchable, enduring passion. Yet I wish the Feathered Folderol a victory because I support the Patriot League with an equivalent vigor. Am I permitted to post?

Officially the mourning period is a week and a half, but we'll make an exception for you, Bogie, due to your status and the fact that the loss was so substantial. ;)

Squealofthepig
November 22nd, 2011, 03:10 PM
A bit hard to find, but here's the Baltimore Sun article on Towson getting into playoffs: http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/college/football/bs-sp-towson-football-1121-20111120,0,6393615.story

Third-year coach Rob Ambrose didn't seem to care about not getting one of the top four seeds.

"We have a home game in the playoffs," he said. "Those words have never been uttered here."

Bogus Megapardus
November 22nd, 2011, 03:47 PM
A bit hard to find, but here's the Baltimore Sun article on Towson getting into playoffs: http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/college/football/bs-sp-towson-football-1121-20111120,0,6393615.story

"The Mountain Hawks . . . won six of the seven games the teams played in the Patriot League and 10 of 11 overall."

Who was the seventh?

Lehigh Football Nation
November 22nd, 2011, 04:17 PM
"The Mountain Hawks . . . won six of the seven games the teams played in the Patriot League and 10 of 11 overall."

Who was the seventh?

Shhh.... New Hampshire! xlolx

LUHawker
November 22nd, 2011, 04:21 PM

Who was the seventh?

I think they meant LU won 6 of 7 while Towson was a member of the PL and has won 10 of 11 all-time.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 22nd, 2011, 04:28 PM
I think they meant LU won 6 of 7 while Towson was a member of the PL and has won 10 of 11 all-time.

Ah, OK. They mean 23-19 in 2002 then.

The Historian
November 22nd, 2011, 04:30 PM
Lehigh and Towson have had some great games in the past. The 44-39 win by Lehigh in 1999 was amazing. Towson threw 78 passes and had 567 yards passing. Brett Snyder, who is now afflicted with ALS, had an incredible 63 yard score on a screen pass.

Lehigh also beat Towson down there in 1987 27-22 on a last second 39 yard pass from Harris to Clark. The next seasons at Goodman Lehigh won 48-39 at Goodman. I believe that Dave Meggett ran wild in that game after missing the 1987 game with an injury.

Bogus Megapardus
November 22nd, 2011, 04:35 PM
Ah, OK. They mean 23-19 in 2002 then.

I don't think so. I just read it again. I think the author is referring to this season.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 22nd, 2011, 04:36 PM
Lehigh and Towson have had some great games in the past. The 44-39 win by Lehigh in 1999 was amazing. Towson threw 78 passes and had 567 yards passing. Brett Snyder, who is now afflicted with ALS, had an incredible 63 yard score on a screen pass.

Lehigh also beat Towson down there in 1987 27-22 on a last second 39 yard pass from Harris to Clark. The next seasons at Goodman Lehigh won 48-39 at Goodman. I believe that Dave Meggett ran wild in that game after missing the 1987 game with an injury.

He returned one kickoff for a touchdown, and he might have had one or two more incredible returns as well. I remember it well; it was the first Lehigh game I ever attended. Freshman parents weekend.

PantherRob82
November 22nd, 2011, 04:45 PM
Looking forward to a great game. I expect a shootout. What do Lehigh fans think of the matchup between West and your D?

Squealofthepig
November 22nd, 2011, 04:47 PM

Let me just say, with that handle and the info you posted - you should post more.

Go...gate
November 22nd, 2011, 04:52 PM
Towson has a nice ballpark and hopefully the weather will cooperate. Pulling for the Engineers!

LUHawker
November 22nd, 2011, 04:57 PM
Looking forward to a great game. I expect a shootout. What do Lehigh fans think of the matchup between West and your D?

Run D has been the strength of the defense and Lehigh's front seven are very good. Colgate's Nate Eachus, preseason Payton candidate, was nursing an injury so I'm not sure we got his best, but LU held him this year and last year, when he was more prolific, to low yards. Nate, however, more of a bull, between the tackles runner, not a speedster. With that said, I am not sure how LU will handle West's speed. I think he'll get some yards, but overall, Lehigh should be fairly stout. Strength vs. strength, Towson's running game against Lehigh's running D - should be quite a match-up. Quite possibly this is a push. If it is, then it becomes Lehigh's passing O vs. Towson's passing D and this should squarely favor LU.

And before all the posters who trot out the New Hampshire game as why LU can't hold a candle in this one, let's take a step back and dissect it a bit. Special teams is why Lehigh lost that game - not defense. LU missed 2 XPs, which had they made, would have likely resulted in LU win as no OT necessary. Even besides that, UNH returned a punt for a TD and had a very short field on a terrible Lum interception deep in LU territory. UNH passed on Lehigh's all new secondary in game 2 of the season; they had no running game at all against LU defense.

I do not know enough about Towson to break them down, but I think LU might match up better than many posters here think.

UIWWildthing
November 22nd, 2011, 08:54 PM
I'm going to talk the wife into watching the little guys for a few hours while I head up to see the game. I'm really looking forward to this, after all, there's only 1 first ever playoff game right?

LehighU11
November 22nd, 2011, 09:22 PM
My first question: WHERE IS THE TAILGATE?!?!?!

Towson tailgating policies here (http://www.towsontigers.com/ViewArticle.dbml?&DB_OEM_ID=21300&ATCLID=204809746). Sounds like they may be cringing if they get word of Lehigh's tailgating traditions.

Glass beverage containers are prohibited. Yeah, we don't drink PBR in cans on South Mountain.
Tailgating is permitted up to 3 hours before game time. Won't be an issue for a road game, but can't imagine why they'd want to limit what is a great experience for many.
Tailgating is prohibited during the game and at half-time. I guess Lafayette fans are prohibited from leaving early there xlolx

PantherRob82
November 22nd, 2011, 10:37 PM
Towson tailgating policies here (http://www.towsontigers.com/ViewArticle.dbml?&DB_OEM_ID=21300&ATCLID=204809746). Sounds like they may be cringing if they get word of Lehigh's tailgating traditions.

Glass beverage containers are prohibited. Yeah, we don't drink PBR in cans on South Mountain.
Tailgating is permitted up to 3 hours before game time. Won't be an issue for a road game, but can't imagine why they'd want to limit what is a great experience for many.
Tailgating is prohibited during the game and at half-time. I guess Lafayette fans are prohibited from leaving early there xlolx

Pour beer into cups. ;)

Bogus Megapardus
November 22nd, 2011, 11:25 PM
Pour beer into cups.

Screw that. Go for straight mouth-to-keg action.

StorminASU
November 22nd, 2011, 11:30 PM
Do we really need another Lehigh thread? Seriously? How many Lehigh fans exist? Enough to justify this many threads?

LUHawker
November 22nd, 2011, 11:49 PM
Do we really need another Lehigh thread? Seriously? How many Lehigh fans exist? Enough to justify this many threads?

Says the guy from App St. Hello pot, this is kettle, you're black. Apparently you are interested enough to check it out. If it bothers you, stay away. I ignore plenty App. st. threads. And yes, there are a lot of Lehigh fans. Most aren't as passionate as those of us on this board, but there is no denying Lehigh pride.

ngineer
November 23rd, 2011, 12:03 AM
Saw that, makes an easier drive down for me. Basically a nite game. No sun glare to hamper wrs.xrolleyesx Expect it will be a tad chilly

Not necessarily. Depends on positioning of the stadium. Sunset will be occuring around halftime..low in the sky.

ngineer
November 23rd, 2011, 12:14 AM
The key for Lehigh's D will be getting good penetration to disrupt the run game. Lehigh had a very good plan against UNI's Rennie last year in bottling him up and rarely letting him scoot into the secondary. You can't coach speed. You need to contain it. Good penetration can also cause turnovers via fumbles, so I would expect some 'run/blitz' packages from Coach K.

I will definitely be going. Probably on one of the South Side Booster Buses. Supposedly two are reserved. Not sure how many tickets were allotted to Lehigh. A lot of alums within a few hours of the MD area. I know of some coming down from NYC.

DJKyR0
November 23rd, 2011, 02:16 AM
As a third-party observer, I see a team that had a good rushing attack and defense in a tough league taking on a team that had a tremendous passing attack and steady defense in a pretty soft league. I'm interested to see where those two teams meet and how it pans out on the field.

My gut tells me that Towson will be too much for Lehigh but that the 'Hawks will make a game of it and certainly represent themselves well in the playoffs.

DJKyR0
November 23rd, 2011, 02:30 AM
Lehigh's rush defense is not "steady", it is incredible

It gets back to the "soft league" bit. It's tough to put stock in a 7th-ranked rush defense when the Patriot wasn't near the top 5 conferences according to the Sagarin ratings. That ranking would mean a heck of a lot more if it'd been garnered from a top-4 conference, hence why I don't take the step into "incredible" vernacular.

DJKyR0
November 23rd, 2011, 02:33 AM
as you say

good luck in the second round and Lehigh will see you in the quarterfinals

In reciprocity, good luck to your prediction that Lehigh will win vs. Towson.

StorminASU
November 23rd, 2011, 07:11 AM
Says the guy from App St. Hello pot, this is kettle, you're black. Apparently you are interested enough to check it out. If it bothers you, stay away. I ignore plenty App. st. threads. And yes, there are a lot of Lehigh fans. Most aren't as passionate as those of us on this board, but there is no denying Lehigh pride.

Maybe that's because people find ASU football interesting. This is just turning into one thread after another being ruined by the fan.

Doc QB
November 23rd, 2011, 08:12 AM
Screw that. Go for straight mouth-to-keg action.

As I said in the earlier thread about the lipsitck Jersey chicks...God, I miss those days.

andy7171
November 23rd, 2011, 08:16 AM
Like I've said in the ten other Towson-Lehigh threads, the game hinges on how effective Towson's d-line is at getting to Lum. We pushed around every defensive line in the CAA(and Maryland), I am confident we can do the same against Lehigh.

RichH2
November 23rd, 2011, 08:32 AM

TWO keys to the game from our side 1. Containing West
2. Protect Lum

Front 7 is our strength . We were able to shut down a dinged up Eachus. West will be more difficult. Must keep him from breaking 30 and 40 yd runs. Wont stop him often for less than 3-4 yds.

OL started the season as a jumble lost 2 best LM ,injuries. They have progressed more than I thought they could into avery good OL. No disrespect but TU D not particularly daunting. Some nice speed. db's are porous. Unlike last yr we have a run attack even w/o leading rusher. I think OL will do OK. Hard to assess TU DL from tv games. They do run around a lot not all that effectively from what I saw.

Should be an interesting battle of wits

Should add, that ST play by LU has been to be charitable spotty all season. EP and FG are a true adventure for us

RichH2
November 23rd, 2011, 08:35 AM
As a third-party observer, I see a team that had a good rushing attack and defense in a tough league taking on a team that had a tremendous passing attack and steady defense in a pretty soft league. I'm interested to see where those two teams meet and how it pans out on the field.

My gut tells me that Towson will be too much for Lehigh but that the 'Hawks will make a game of it and certainly represent themselves well in the playoffs.

Valid point except TU's D is abysmal

RichH2
November 23rd, 2011, 08:40 AM
Maybe that's because people find ASU football interesting. This is just turning into one thread after another being ruined by the fan.

Surprisingly he has been on his best behavior in this thread. I hope it continues as he does make some good points when not having flights of fantasy

Doc QB
November 23rd, 2011, 08:46 AM
Like I've said in the ten other Towson-Lehigh threads, the game hinges on how effective Towson's d-line is at getting to Lum. We pushed around every defensive line in the CAA(and Maryland), I am confident we can do the same against Lehigh.

Saw TU twice on the tube. I watched the Towson-MD game and was impressed, more so than when I watched them beat Maine, actually. They moved the ball extremely well against bigger, stronger, faster guys down there in College Park. I am not too sure Maryland looked past them, either. TU is that solid, and what figures to be a key to the game for our D to contain their running attack is to throw them off their usual tempo: crowd the box, stunts, well timed blitzes, force them to throw, which is not their bread and butter. We cant line up in our base D like MD did and expect to contain them. Need wrinkles as we obviously dont collectively match up like a poor ACC squad talent/speed/size wise, regardless of what we have done to date, so it becomes one game season here where we have to play up, play smart, and more importantly out scheme and out coach them.

We can move the ball on anybody. Games where we did not post big numbers or score at will did occur, but overall, give Ceccini two weeks and some film, and he'll find ways to expose Towson's D, then it is up to the players to execute, with Lum needing to see it all on line of scrimmage and getting to the best play. I dare them to blitz, because the scheme with a guy back in the gun allows one to see it, change play, and get rid of the ball quickly. Good disguises and delayed blitzes are where Lum struggled, as any QB could. If he studies the films and recognizes it all presnap, look out.

Reminds me some of playing Western Ill a few years back with Ceccini in the booth and Brant Hall at QB...they had that big Hartwell LB, NFL bound (played alongside Ray Lewis down here), and Ceccini took him completely out of the game with a tremendous gameplan. Look forward to a barnburner.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 23rd, 2011, 08:53 AM

Yes.

andy7171
November 23rd, 2011, 08:56 AM
We played Maryladn the week after they got embarrassed by Temple. They weren't looking past us.

RichH2
November 23rd, 2011, 09:29 AM
We played Maryladn the week after they got embarrassed by Temple. They weren't looking past us.

Admit I was impressed with TU vs Maryland. UM not a good team but still an ACC squad . Look honestly, I think we will have our hands full keeping West under 200 yds. Saving grace is I dont think TU cankeep lum under 400yds

UIWWildthing
November 23rd, 2011, 09:35 AM
If you like high-scoring football, this will be your game. Both teams can move the ball seemingly at will. One thing to mention as well is Towson's poor special teams. This has burned the Tigers on a few occasions, and they can't afford to give Lehigh a short field constatntly.

andy7171
November 23rd, 2011, 09:38 AM
Admit I was impressed with TU vs Maryland. UM not a good team but still an ACC squad . Look honestly, I think we will have our hands full keeping West under 200 yds. Saving grace is I dont think TU cankeep lum under 400yds

You can have you 400 yards as long as you stay out of the endzone. That is what you guys are missing. This defense bends, a lot, but doesn't break. We have been very effective in the redzone. We have come up with timely turnovers when it counts.

RichH2
November 23rd, 2011, 09:39 AM
Gee,should make things even more interesting LU KO and P teams OK but ask us to kick an EP or a FG. We cant seem to do that w/o a ton of drama

Doc QB
November 23rd, 2011, 09:40 AM

Thats what I said, they got Maryland's best, no question.

LehighU11
November 23rd, 2011, 09:53 AM
One thing to mention as well is Towson's poor special teams. This has burned the Tigers on a few occasions, and they can't afford to give Lehigh a short field constatntly.

You think your special teams are bad, wait til you see ours. Missed and blocked extra points galore (cost us the UNH game in regulation), 4 and 6 yard punts the past couple weeks, and poor kickoff coverage. Whoever limits their ST mistakes will probably win this one. I just hope that ST isn't what dooms us in the playoffs.

carney2
November 23rd, 2011, 10:34 AM
I won't be there.

andy7171
November 23rd, 2011, 10:39 AM
You think your special teams are bad, wait til you see ours. Missed and blocked extra points galore (cost us the UNH game in regulation), 4 and 6 yard punts the past couple weeks, and poor kickoff coverage. Whoever limits their ST mistakes will probably win this one. I just hope that ST isn't what dooms us in the playoffs.

We got a pretty nice freshman returning kickoffs. Almost close to 1K return yards, finally took one to the house against UNH.

RichH2
November 23rd, 2011, 10:43 AM
That could be adifference in this game.Our KRs and PRs not bad , our coverage not great.

PantherRob82
November 23rd, 2011, 10:56 AM
Sucks that we have to wait a week for this one.

RichH2
November 23rd, 2011, 11:00 AM
Sucks that we have to wait a week for this one.

So true . Happy to be here but the wait for all of us who start next week excruciating. Prettysoon we are going to run out of football conversation and start exchanging recipes

PAllen
November 23rd, 2011, 11:34 AM
Well I'll be there with my Mom in tow. She still lives about 10 miles away and hasn't seen a game since the last (and only) time Towson has beaten Lehigh. Row H 40 yard line. Gettin' antsy already. This could be a lose game, or a blow out either way, gotta love that. Do LU special teams collapse again? Do the Tigers show up "just happy to be here"?

I just hope the zebras don't get too involved.

RichH2
November 23rd, 2011, 11:42 AM
I know the extra week better for our squad but the ridiculous ( MBW's description) mood swings are a killer. i am ready to drive now today but a solo tailgate for the next 10 days might be a bit much. I'll see you at the game PAllen. I'll be th guy with the manic look chugging Xanax ( dont recall row but I s/n/b too far from you)

UIWWildthing
November 23rd, 2011, 11:58 AM
Well I'll be there with my Mom in tow. She still lives about 10 miles away and hasn't seen a game since the last (and only) time Towson has beaten Lehigh. Row H 40 yard line. Gettin' antsy already. This could be a lose game, or a blow out either way, gotta love that. Do LU special teams collapse again? Do the Tigers show up "just happy to be here"?

I think Towson's going to play loose, after all what do they have to lose? No one expected them to be in the playoffs, much less win the CAA.

RichH2
November 23rd, 2011, 12:28 PM
I get the opposite read from that situation. Spent the season up to the last few weeks climbing the mountain out of the spotlight as no one figured them to last. Now they are in the spotlight atthe top ofthe peak playing a lowly PL team. pressure is squarely hitting them now. Playing at home will help but this is their 1st playoff appearance. Other than us no one really expects lehigh to beat TU. They beat UNH who beat us QED. I dont think they will look past us so much as try to overdo and make mistakes from nerves.
At least I hope that's how it plays outxthumbsupx

andy7171
November 23rd, 2011, 12:50 PM
I get the opposite read from that situation. Spent the season up to the last few weeks climbing the mountain out of the spotlight as no one figured them to last. Now they are in the spotlight atthe top ofthe peak playing a lowly PL team. pressure is squarely hitting them now. Playing at home will help but this is their 1st playoff appearance. Other than us no one really expects lehigh to beat TU. They beat UNH who beat us QED. I dont think they will look past us so much as try to overdo and make mistakes from nerves.
At least I hope that's how it plays outxthumbsupx

This team doesn't look past who is in front of them. It's just another home game. They have been super focused ever since the Delaware game.

RichH2
November 23rd, 2011, 01:10 PM
My point is they will be overhyped not unfocused

UNH72Plus
November 23rd, 2011, 01:19 PM
Shhh.... New Hampshire! xlolx

Careful now, I was just about to say some nice things about you guys! Should be a great game. I didn't see the UNH/Lehigh game, but listened on the radio and watched the Towson game on their video feed (pretty good quality for ten bucks, w/ mutliple cameras and replays. Oh, but those announcers!). This looks like it could be a high scoring affair. UNH lit up both their defenses for some major yardage, especially through the air. Hope to catch the end of game after the Wildcats beat the Bobcats out in Bozeman. Good luck to both teams!

OL FU
November 23rd, 2011, 03:26 PM
I think this is one of the most interesting games in the first round. Towson, from worst to first in what has over the last few years been the best conference and Lehigh, the first team from the Patriot League since 2003? that could make some noise in the playoffs. Looking forward to all but this one has my ears up.

Cleets
November 23rd, 2011, 03:32 PM
I think this is one of the most interesting games in the first round. Towson, from worst to first in what has over the last few years been the best conference and Lehigh, the first team from the Patriot League since 2003? that could make some noise in the playoffs. Looking forward to all but this one has my ears up.

+1
This would be a fun game to watch for all the reasons above

ngineer
November 23rd, 2011, 03:58 PM
If you like high-scoring football, this will be your game. Both teams can move the ball seemingly at will. One thing to mention as well is Towson's poor special teams. This has burned the Tigers on a few occasions, and they can't afford to give Lehigh a short field constatntly.

Looks like we both have the same problems then, and the winner could come down to who cleans up their STs best.

ngineer
November 23rd, 2011, 04:00 PM

Actually, we lost to JMU, the eventual National Champ, 14-13 in a thriller that has been discussed at length elsewhere. And I think we made a little noise last year at the UNI-Dome. (;-)

OL FU
November 23rd, 2011, 04:03 PM
Actually, we lost to JMU, the eventual National Champ, 14-13 in a thriller that has been discussed at length elsewhere. And I think we made a little noise last year at the UNI-Dome. (;-)

Yeah I remember. But I was thinking possibly getting past the the quarters or even to them. Close games and wins in the first round excluded:)

ngineer
November 23rd, 2011, 04:06 PM

That's always a concern. Yes, there will always be some penalties that are questionable due to discretion of official; but I just hate it when 'ticky-tac' calls start effecting the outcome.

Engineer86
November 23rd, 2011, 05:22 PM
Yeah I remember. But I was thinking possibly getting past the the quarters or even to them. Close games and wins in the first round excluded:)

Agree, one win is not "making noise"

ngineer
November 23rd, 2011, 08:51 PM
Agree, one win is not "making noise"

Well, I think it depends on what the expectations are. LAST YEAR, Lehigh winning at the UNI Dome was a noise maker. Hardly anyone on this Board believed Lehigh stood a chance in that venue. THIS YEAR, it is different. There are expectations that Lehigh should be good enough to make it to he Quarterfinals. Had Lehigh been given a first round game, a win to advance to Towson would not be 'noise' as that would have been fully expected.

Neighbor2
November 23rd, 2011, 09:30 PM
Yes, 2011 will go down as the "hate Lehigh" season. That's sad. They have a solid team. I DO believe The Fan's posts have created this. On to the game. . .

I believe Lehigh WILL win this one. I'll say 35-27. Next round? Probably a loss, despite a strong effort.

Keys to the victory over Towson-

Kotulski (he'll stymie the Towson quarterback)
Checchini (he'll exploit Towson's average secondary)
Groome (he'll be dedicated to West)
Spadola (a monster versus smaller defenders)

Concerns-

Towson starting every posession with good field position.
The officials (Lehigh has a recent reputation of high penalty yardage and games at Towson HAVE been brutal to Lehigh in the "judgment call" scenario).
Lehigh's long field goal ability (if Lehigh needs a 45 yarder to win it, they lose).

All in all, an excellent match-up. If you are able, watch it.

ColgateTD
November 23rd, 2011, 09:46 PM
I won't be there.

Ditto.

JMU2K_DukeDawg
November 24th, 2011, 03:57 AM
The two dark horses of the playoffs meet in their first game (Round 2). I really don't know how it will go, but it should be a very entertaining game. I also imagine the crowd will be good. Decent Towson crowd + great traveling crowd from Lehigh should allow for an incredible atmosphere. With the teams lighting up the scoreboard as I suspect they will, it will be more like a basketball crowd. One side of the stadium cheers, then the other, and back and forth until the buzzer sounds. Last team with the ball wins it.

Good luck to both - Go Towson! (for CAA reasons - I like both teams this year)

JMU2K_DukeDawg
November 24th, 2011, 04:14 AM
You can have you 400 yards as long as you stay out of the endzone. That is what you guys are missing. This defense bends, a lot, but doesn't break. We have been very effective in the redzone. We have come up with timely turnovers when it counts.

Not so sure I buy this. The Towson red zone defense is average, allowing opponent to score 77% of the time (60% of the time for TDs). Allowing opponents 48 trips to the red zone is indeed bending, but allowing TDs 3 out of 5 trips is considerable breaking. Towson's best defense is its offense. Timely turnovers, of course, make statistics meaningless.

For comparison's sake, Lehigh allowed only 35 trips to the red zone, allowing opponents to score 83% of the time. However, less than half (46%) were for TDs. That is more "bend but don't break" defense to me, although their red zone D ranking is lower due to allowing so many FGs.

How much of this is due to playing in the Patriot League vs. the CAA? We shall see a week from Saturday!

frozennorth
November 24th, 2011, 06:00 AM
Towson is more battle tested and at home, so I'm leaning toward then pulling out a win of a relatively even matchup.

Engineer86
November 24th, 2011, 06:24 AM
Well, I think it depends on what the expectations are. LAST YEAR, Lehigh winning at the UNI Dome was a noise maker. Hardly anyone on this Board believed Lehigh stood a chance in that venue. THIS YEAR, it is different. There are expectations that Lehigh should be good enough to make it to he Quarterfinals. Had Lehigh been given a first round game, a win to advance to Towson would not be 'noise' as that would have been fully expected.

My point is that to get to the "next level" we need to get to the semis. I guess it does depend on who play, but we have done fairly well in first round games historically, now we need to go further, if we want to be considered in the relm of the "big boys"

ngineer
November 24th, 2011, 08:45 AM
Yes. And we have already achieved the second round without playing, yet. With this year's expectations, everyone will be disappointed if we don't get to the next round. Going incrementally, the 'next level' is making it to the quarterfinals, which we have not done since since 2001 with the dramatic OT win over Hofstra, (and then only 16 teams played). I believe the talent level is such that we can get to the semifinals. Everyone in the tournament is a quality team. Some have more players in terms of quantity and quality than others, but many times a mistake or two at this level will be the determining factor. Knocking off the CAA Champ, Towson, will be noisemaker to most. Beating NDSU or JMU/EKU in the quarters would deafening.

GridCaptain
November 26th, 2011, 05:51 AM
Doubtful. Enjoy the Patriot League championship. Lum is a talent but he does not play against speed on the edge or bulk up the middle all season. This battle will be won on the fronts and over by the 45:00 mark.

LUHawker
November 26th, 2011, 09:18 AM
Doubtful. Enjoy the Patriot League championship. Lum is a talent but he does not play against speed on the edge or bulk up the middle all season. This battle will be won on the fronts and over by the 45:00 mark.

Have you seen both teams play?

ngineer
November 26th, 2011, 09:22 AM
Unlikely. It's the same attitude we've come to embrace over the years when going into the playoffs. We don't play "anyone", so how can we possibly give anyone from any other conference competition?

caribbeanhen
November 26th, 2011, 09:58 AM
Lehigh over Towson - The Towson coach could not figure out how to beat Delaware FCOL, Lehigh should nip them in a track meet , 49-48

caribbeanhen
November 26th, 2011, 10:00 AM
Have you seen both teams play?

is this the Hawker that enjoyed those UNI fans before last years Lehigh trip out to the corn belt? something about sitting in a barn?

WrenFGun
November 26th, 2011, 10:13 AM
As one of the few who has seen both teams, I dont see Lehigh having the bodies to stop West. Lum/Spadola will have huge days, though.

Towson 48, Lehigh 38.

Southsider
November 26th, 2011, 11:27 AM
Unlikely. It's the same attitude we've come to embrace over the years when going into the playoffs. We don't play "anyone", so how can we possibly give anyone from any other conference competition?

A note to all Lehigh fans: "Actions speak louder than words". Don't get into a pissing contest with folks on this board. You can never win. If we pull one out, we're a one hit wonder. If we lose it's reaffirms their position that the lowly PL does not belong. The game can't get here soon enough!!

hawkineer
November 26th, 2011, 01:40 PM
Excellent post.

Lehigh will not only "pull one out" but also beat NDSU in the quarterfinals.

Just can't help yourself can you? xconfusedx How about taking the team's approach? One game at a time!

Wildcat80
November 26th, 2011, 01:42 PM
As one of the few who has seen both teams, I dont see Lehigh having the bodies to stop West. Lum/Spadola will have huge days, though.

Towson 48, Lehigh 38.

I agree. Towson is the real deal. We know UNH has no defense so even your close loss to us is suspect as a quality game.

LUHawker
November 26th, 2011, 03:24 PM
is this the Hawker that enjoyed those UNI fans before last years Lehigh trip out to the corn belt? something about sitting in a barn?

Nope.

RichH2
November 26th, 2011, 04:35 PM
Ihave seen both teams play. West will be tough to control for us. Best case we can limit the damage somewhat. Enders a good manager of run game. D DL has some studs and a good lb. 2ndary not so much.Best D against us all yr was 2 over the top and 2x the wrs. Leaves middle open as well as flats. A slow way to move but longer we have ball fewer carries for West. Course if TU tries to cover Fitz or Sherman with a LB we will move pretty quick

caribbeanhen
November 26th, 2011, 09:40 PM
Nope.

he was rude but funny to say the least

GridCaptain
November 26th, 2011, 09:53 PM
Lehigh's season will be done in a week. Next.

LehighU11
November 26th, 2011, 10:02 PM
Lehigh's season will be done in a week. Next.

I suppose now that TheFan has been banned, his schizophrenic alter-ego, GridCaptain, will exert all of his efforts to bash Lehigh. xrolleyesx xrotatehx

GridCaptain
November 26th, 2011, 11:23 PM
No one is bashing anyone, I just think Lehigh will lose in the second round against Towson. You are hypersensitive and obviously have too much of your self-esteem wrapped up in the performance of Lehigh Football.

Engineer86
November 27th, 2011, 08:17 AM
No one is bashing anyone, I just think Lehigh will lose in the second round against Towson. You are hypersensitive and obviously have too much of your self-esteem wrapped up in the performance of Lehigh Football.

Pay no attention to this guy, once he checks his facts and knows anything about the Patriot League it is worth considering his view. GridCaptain = Clueless (what is the track record of the Patriot League in the playoffs?)

Bogus Megapardus
November 27th, 2011, 11:07 AM
xpopcornx

Has "The Fan" actually been banned? Interesting. He wasn't a Lehigh grad, and I'm dead certain he never set foot on the Princeton campus. Who was he?

As far as GridCaptain - he's in self banning mode. He's pledged not to post here if Lehigh beats Towson. Is GridCaptain a clone created by "The Fan?"

This will be a perfectly respectable game in which Lehigh will come prepared and play well as it typically does in playoff games. My impression is that the Brown Pants probably do have "something extra" this year. But so too does Towson this year, so that's kind of a wash.

Home field? Patriot League crowds for the most part are of the golf clap sort so it might not matter much. Plus the Squawkers have to travel almost as far to get to their own stadium as they do to some of their opponents.

Expectations? I'm guessing that Towson thinks that Lehigh will be a pushover. It's "only a Patriot League school" after all. On the other hand, no matter what the ranking, Patriot schools always assume they're underdogs by a huge margin. That makes sense becasue (a) Lehigh gives no athletic scholarships (b) it can't redshirt its freshmen and (b) the Patriot academic index limits its recruits to about 8% of all college bound players. Any school with those kinds of restrictions always will be an underdog.

I think Lehigh has an even shot of winning this one. It all depends on whether the line can keep Chris Lum upright.

LehighGuy
November 27th, 2011, 12:15 PM
Just saw this posted over on CAA-Zone by Towson's marketing guy:

"Lehigh has only requested 1,800 tickets on consignment so we are not expecting a large influx of opposing fans."

WTF Lehigh? Were my expectations of 3,000 too high?

RichH2
November 27th, 2011, 12:53 PM
Seems verylow #. I know we dont travel as well as we should but I even thought 3,000 was a low #

black_sabathia
November 27th, 2011, 01:12 PM
I honestly didn't know Towson State was still in existence, for some reason I thought they closed the school a few years ago due to financial problems. Glad to see they're thriving. Who does Lehigh play after the Towson game? Can't seem to find any brackets.

RichH2
November 27th, 2011, 01:15 PM
I honestly didn't know Towson State was still in existence, for some reason I thought they closed the school a few years ago due to financial problems. Glad to see they're thriving. Who does Lehigh play after the Towson game? Can't seem to find any brackets.

Top of the page here on AGS downloadable bracket or go to TSN also a downloadable bracket or NCAA fcs page same thing

Cleets
November 27th, 2011, 01:16 PM

BIG RED BOX up top that says get your bracket here....

Engineer86
November 27th, 2011, 03:11 PM

"Lehigh has only requested 1,800 tickets on consignment so we are not expecting a large influx of opposing fans."

That ticket request is about as pathetic as I expect Lehigh's bid was. If they want donations, they need to start upgrading the effort in the Athletic Dept/Administration(merit based). This year's donation will go elsewhere.

heath
November 27th, 2011, 03:57 PM

1,800 in a 12,000 seat stadium isn't bad.If others wanted to buy tickets thru Towson you will have more fans.Towson hasn't come close to selling out this year so tickets shouldn't be a problem

Lehigh Football Nation
November 27th, 2011, 04:13 PM
1,800 in a 12,000 seat stadium isn't bad.If others wanted to buy tickets thru Towson you will have more fans.Towson hasn't come close to selling out this year so tickets shouldn't be a problem

That's 15% of the stadium. IMO, that's pretty generous. I doubt App gives 15% of their attendance for the away team, for example.

Engineer86
November 27th, 2011, 04:52 PM
That's 15% of the stadium. IMO, that's pretty generous. I doubt App gives 15% of their attendance for the away team, for example.

But the problem is it should be 15% of 16K for Towson. The fact that this is not a home game Lehigh makes me think we had a real weak bid, if at all. Terrible showing if they are trying to build momentum for the program. At Leh-Laf, Sterrett indicated a push towards merit based aid. Implied only, I guess so they can play both sides. Based on the poor showing by the AD, I accept the fact that Lehigh is and will continue be a second teir FCS program, too bad. It is a great school and there is no reason, it can't compete for the best players (that fit the academic profile), but we do not.

Neighbor2
November 27th, 2011, 05:52 PM
Engineer86 is correct. The Lehigh administration, including Sterrett, is MUCH too passive in advancing Lehigh football. The Lehigh Valley market now includes some 800,000 residents. The local TV station (WFMZ-TV) is carried in the Philadelphia market. Its production facilities are used for several world-class events. This is really a missed opportunity on several levels. If Lehigh truly strives to win a national championship Lehigh must throw off the shackles and compete with the same tools as its opponents. The non-scholarship program excuses have become lame to almost everyone.

This said, I still believe Lehigh, despite its obstacles, can defeat Towson on Saturday. This year, the players are not just smart, but physically talented. That's a strong combination. The offensive/defensive schemes Towson faces will be new to them. Their opponent will not be intimated. Earlier, I predicted Lehigh wins 35-27 (or something like it). I'm still OK with this.

Should be a really good game. Go Brown!

Southsider
November 27th, 2011, 05:53 PM
But the problem is it should be 15% of 16K for Towson. The fact that this is not a home game Lehigh makes me think we had a real weak bid, if at all. Terrible showing if they are trying to build momentum for the program. At Leh-Laf, Sterrett indicated a push towards merit based aid. Implied only, I guess so they can play both sides. Based on the poor showing by the AD, I accept the fact that Lehigh is and will continue be a second teir FCS program, too bad. It is a great school and there is no reason, it can't compete for the best players (that fit the academic profile), but we do not.

Or, is LU just holding back until the playing field is leveled? Hope so!!

Southsider
November 27th, 2011, 06:02 PM
Engineer86 is correct. The Lehigh administration, including Sterrett, is MUCH too passive in advancing Lehigh football. The Lehigh Valley market now includes some 800,000 residents. The local TV station (WFMZ-TV) is carried in the Philadelphia market. Its production facilities are used for several world-class events. This is really a missed opportunity on several levels. If Lehigh truly strives to win a national championship Lehigh must throw off the shackles and compete with the same tools as its opponents. The non-scholarship program excuses have become lame to almost everyone.

This said, I still believe Lehigh, despite its obstacles, can defeat Towson on Saturday. This year, the players are not just smart, but physically talented. That's a strong combination. The offensive/defensive schemes Towson faces will be new to them. Their opponent will not be intimated. Earlier, I predicted Lehigh wins 35-27 (or something like it). I'm still OK with this.

Should be a really good game. Go Brown!

I attended my class reunion this weekend (Gerald Ford was the President, so you figure out how long it's been). Anyway, one of my classmates is married to a Villanova assistant. He told me he watches the LU Sports Report on Mondays' on Channel 69( obviously he lives in the Phila Mkt). He only wishes VU had that sort of coverage! Neighbor, you are spot on, LU has all the pieces in place to be a top tier program. Someone just needs the balls to make it happen!

Engineer86
November 27th, 2011, 06:30 PM
I attended my class reunion this weekend (Gerald Ford was the President, so you figure out how long it's been). Anyway, one of my classmates is married to a Villanova assistant. He told me he watches the LU Sports Report on Mondays' on Channel 69( obviously he lives in the Phila Mkt). He only wishes VU had that sort of coverage! Neighbor, you are spot on, LU has all the pieces in place to be a top tier program. Someone just needs the balls to make it happen!

Well, I don't expect our president to do that, just support scholarships strongly and push others in the league to do the same. :D

GridCaptain
November 27th, 2011, 07:25 PM
Lehigh fans truly are an elitist bunch. Quite the fancy group.

Engineer86
November 27th, 2011, 07:40 PM
Lehigh fans truly are an elitist bunch. Quite the fancy group.

Are you still here? Where is the ticker till you no longer post on the board. xthumbsupx

carney2
November 27th, 2011, 08:49 PM

Are there NCAA rules in effect here as to the maximum number of tickets a home team has to make available to the visitor?

PAllen
November 27th, 2011, 09:44 PM
Are there NCAA rules in effect here as to the maximum number of tickets a home team has to make available to the visitor?

During the Old Dominion/NSU game, the announcers said the NCAA mandated that at least 500 tickets be forwarded to the opposing team for sale to their fans.

ngineer
November 27th, 2011, 11:12 PM
Some of these posts about what AD Sterrett has done or hasn't done is just talking out one's arse. There are all sorts of restrictions on what Lehigh can or cannot due in terms of bidding, in terms of dollars for marketing in an area and time when getting people to care about FCS level football is a real challenge. People within minutes of a top flight FCS program, i.e. Villanova, are going to drive an hour and half to Bethlehem? Heck, VU doesn't draw in the midst of millions. Oh, yes, and how about all those crowds packing the Linc for Temple? Get real. I wonder whether all the critics of what Athletics does or doesn't do contribute much if anything to the Partnership? Doubt it.
And the comment about our inability to recruit stop athletes and students at the same time? Seems like this year's team as a good number of them. Yes, the restictions with out merit aid, academic requirements and no redshirting are hurdles to be cleared, but it seems Coen and his staff have done a nice job dealing with the adversity. It's tough to keep it going forever as you will run into time frames where some players won't pan out either academically or athletically, and without the ability to 'stock pile' players you hit low spots, witness Lafayette and Colgate at the moment; Lehigh 4 years ago. Lehigh and the other PL teams should be given a lot of credit for trying to step up and meet the competition the CAA, SoCon, MVC provide when playoff time comes. They could have taken the route of the Ivy and played with themselves. Even when I was in school, 40 years ago, we always looked at ourselves as being 'overachievers' by always trying to play competition that 'on paper' should beat us. It's looking for and accepting the challenge of playing teams a little bigger, faster and deeper that make the journey exciting.
I really believe we can win this game in Towson. TSU has a very talented team, but I think our schemes match up well with them, with our run defense having been a strong point this year. I am confident our DC will have a plan for Mr. West, and our OC will have all sorts of schemes planned for the Tigers D. The players sense a real special time for them and will do all they can to execute to the best of their ability. Weather looks decent at the moment--mid-40's at kickoff and sunny...though could be in mid-upper 30's by second half.

LEHIGH61
November 28th, 2011, 09:03 AM
If you go to the Towson site, you will see that visitors to Towson home games are assigned to sections 101 and 102 only. That's for all of Towson's games, playoff or otherwise. I spoke to the Towson ticket office because I needed a specific location with the Lehigh fans (in Section 102). They told me that they were alloting Sections 101 and 102 to Lehigh. Before anyone blames the Lehigh Athletic Department with not requesting enough tickets(1800), Sections 101 and 102 hold approximately 1800 fans. Lehigh had no choice in the matter.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 28th, 2011, 09:03 AM
During the Old Dominion/NSU game, the announcers said the NCAA mandated that at least 500 tickets be forwarded to the opposing team for sale to their fans.

I think in the run-up to the ODU game they also said that they allocated 1,800 seats for Norfolk State, and it was seen as a very generous move since it was a near-certainty that the game would sell out. Towson's stadium is smaller yet allocated a greater percentage to Lehigh.

And for those who just like to grumble: did you actually buy your tickets through the Lehigh ticket office? The most effective way to make a statement on the availability of tickets is to actually sell them out.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
November 28th, 2011, 09:53 AM

Yes, and they also mentioned how generous ODU was to offer significantly more than those 500 tickets to NSU! IIRC, they said 2,500 were offered! And if Towson has offered 1,800 than they too are being extremely generous in light of the NCAA regulations.

RichH2
November 28th, 2011, 11:00 AM
If you go to the Towson site, you will see that visitors to Towson home games are assigned to sections 101 and 102 only. That's for all of Towson's games, playoff or otherwise. I spoke to the Towson ticket office because I needed a specific location with the Lehigh fans (in Section 102). They told me that they were alloting Sections 101 and 102 to Lehigh. Before anyone blames the Lehigh Athletic Department with not requesting enough tickets(1800), Sections 101 and 102 hold approximately 1800 fans. Lehigh had no choice in the matter.

The postis correct . I also checked and was given the same info. LU got all the tickets from TU that were going to be alloted

RichH2
November 28th, 2011, 11:03 AM
Sure lehigh could do moreto sell the program but I think within their limitations they have done an excellent job . Sterrettnhas run an excellent athletic department across the board. I understand wanting more but we should not demean what has been accomplished

LUHawker
November 28th, 2011, 11:49 AM
Sure lehigh could do moreto sell the program but I think within their limitations they have done an excellent job . Sterrettnhas run an excellent athletic department across the board. I understand wanting more but we should not demean what has been accomplished

Agree entirely. Also, Sterrett has been a big proponent of school lies for football at Lehigh - maybe not as bold as Fordham, but he is working within the PL membership and I think we'll see them soon. I don't know what our bid was, but it clearly sounded like LU wasn't going to bid strongly this year. Attendance was low and maybe he is keeping his powder dry for implementation of schollies.

That being said, with the implosion of Penn State football, maybe LU can garner some additional attention; this is certainly the year for it.

UIWWildthing
November 28th, 2011, 12:30 PM
I hope to see some of you Lehigh fan at the game Saturday, looking forward to what should be a "burn out the scoreboard" type of game!

RichH2
November 28th, 2011, 12:55 PM
I hope to see some of you Lehigh fan at the game Saturday, looking forward to what should be a "burn out the scoreboard" type of game!

looking forward to a good game hopefully close . Expect relatively high scoring contest , fine for you young whippersnappers but tough on us oldcodgers.

ScissorBros
November 28th, 2011, 12:55 PM
That being said, with the implosion of Penn State football, maybe LU can garner some additional attention; this is certainly the year for it.

And with Maryland imploding on the field, Towson is definitely gaining some extra attention as well. Hope this game over-sells out.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 28th, 2011, 04:54 PM
So what did Towson do this weekend? Prepare for Lehigh? Not exactly...

http://www.baltimoresun.com/media/photo/2011-11/66337878.jpg

Engineer86
November 28th, 2011, 05:34 PM
Some of these posts about what AD Sterrett has done or hasn't done is just talking out one's arse. There are all sorts of restrictions on what Lehigh can or cannot due in terms of bidding, in terms of dollars for marketing in an area and time when getting people to care about FCS level football is a real challenge. People within minutes of a top flight FCS program, i.e. Villanova, are going to drive an hour and half to Bethlehem? Heck, VU doesn't draw in the midst of millions. Oh, yes, and how about all those crowds packing the Linc for Temple? Get real. I wonder whether all the critics of what Athletics does or doesn't do contribute much if anything to the Partnership? Doubt it.
And the comment about our inability to recruit stop athletes and students at the same time? Seems like this year's team as a good number of them. Yes, the restictions with out merit aid, academic requirements and no redshirting are hurdles to be cleared, but it seems Coen and his staff have done a nice job dealing with the adversity. It's tough to keep it going forever as you will run into time frames where some players won't pan out either academically or athletically, and without the ability to 'stock pile' players you hit low spots, witness Lafayette and Colgate at the moment; Lehigh 4 years ago. Lehigh and the other PL teams should be given a lot of credit for trying to step up and meet the competition the CAA, SoCon, MVC provide when playoff time comes. They could have taken the route of the Ivy and played with themselves. Even when I was in school, 40 years ago, we always looked at ourselves as being 'overachievers' by always trying to play competition that 'on paper' should beat us. It's looking for and accepting the challenge of playing teams a little bigger, faster and deeper that make the journey exciting.
I really believe we can win this game in Towson. TSU has a very talented team, but I think our schemes match up well with them, with our run defense having been a strong point this year. I am confident our DC will have a plan for Mr. West, and our OC will have all sorts of schemes planned for the Tigers D. The players sense a real special time for them and will do all they can to execute to the best of their ability. Weather looks decent at the moment--mid-40's at kickoff and sunny...though could be in mid-upper 30's by second half.

Two things. 1) I have given plenty of money in the past to multiple Lehigh football activities, so I did I have your approval to state how pathetic I think it is that Towson out bid us. 2) It is interesting that Towson is not impacted by all of these economic difficulties and are able to come up with a bid. There must be nothing to do in Maryland, or maybe it is that long football tradition that Towson is counting on to fill the stands.

Lehigh has a fine football tradition, just don't think we are anywhere close to any of the top fcs programs. It's a fun 5-6 Saturday's in the fall.

ngineer
November 28th, 2011, 07:34 PM

A good number of Lehigh people will be in "Lot 11"...University is holding a tailgate and Booster Buses will be parked there too, from what I'm told.

Grizzlies82
November 28th, 2011, 07:34 PM
So what did Towson do this weekend? Prepare for Lehigh? Not exactly...

http://www.baltimoresun.com/media/photo/2011-11/66337878.jpg

Sorry Towson, I know he's the President and everything but sheesh...
Let's just say I'll be pulling for Lehigh Saturday.

ngineer
November 28th, 2011, 07:50 PM
Two things. 1) I have given plenty of money in the past to multiple Lehigh football activities, so I did I have your approval to state how pathetic I think it is that Towson out bid us. 2) It is interesting that Towson is not impacted by all of these economic difficulties and are able to come up with a bid. There must be nothing to do in Maryland, or maybe it is that long football tradition that Towson is counting on to fill the stands.

Lehigh has a fine football tradition, just don't think we are anywhere close to any of the top fcs programs. It's a fun 5-6 Saturday's in the fall.

I am glad you are a contributor to the Partnership! Getting out bid for the home game is not surprising considering the lower attendance figures. Athletics has a budget each year for various contingencies. Lehigh will not dip into endowment or other such funds to get a home football game. It doesn't match the University's emphasis on athletics. As a state university, Towson may be in better position for getting such an event on its campus. Accounting for the use of limited funds may well be different at both schools. Is it possible we are keeping our powder dry in the longshot event of bidding to get JMU at home, should we win and the Dukes shake down "The Dome"? One can only hope. I think what bothered me was various posts taking this thread in a negative direction from its original intent. I believe there is room for alot of discussion and debate about what Lehigh, and other PL schools, can do to crack into the top tier on a consistent basis. Only merit based scholarships will help that happen. Should the League approve that, then we may have a shot at becoming competitive on a regular basis, like Furman and Wofford (two relatively small, private and excellent academic schools that are consistently in "the discussion"). At present, we have to enjoy what we have when it comes around every few years.
And, unfortunately, the "inconvenient truth" is that we may well be in a significant minority where the majority only sees football as a "nice" way to spend a fall afternoon 5-6 times a year. There is always the concern in academic circles that sports become too big with resultant abuses and bending of rules once the nectur of success is tasted and the people want 'more.' It's a delicate balance at schools where academics take priority.

TwoFeathers
November 28th, 2011, 08:02 PM
I suppose now that TheFan has been banned, his schizophrenic alter-ego, GridCaptain, will exert all of his efforts to bash Lehigh. xrolleyesx xrotatehx

No shame in losing to Towson. I think they have a shot to win it all. And West could very well win the Payton as a freshman. His numbers are ridiculous.

ngineer
November 28th, 2011, 08:15 PM
No shame in losing to Towson. I think they have a shot to win it all. And West could very well win the Payton as a freshman. His numbers are ridiculous.

Absolutely correct. TSU has proven their ability over a long season. And, someone has to win/lose when all said and done. As long as one has played well and made an opponent beat them , as opposed to giving away a game due to poor decisions or stupid mistakes, is all one can ask at this point. Both teams have had glorious seasons, but both believe in 'unfinished business'. Therefore, Towson should feel no shame in losing to Lehigh.

UIWWildthing
November 28th, 2011, 09:41 PM
Absolutely correct. TSU has proven their ability over a long season. And, someone has to win/lose when all said and done. As long as one has played well and made an opponent beat them , as opposed to giving away a game due to poor decisions or stupid mistakes, is all one can ask at this point. Both teams have had glorious seasons, but both believe in 'unfinished business'. Therefore, Towson should feel no shame in losing to Lehigh.

If we lose to Lehigh, I'm still proud of the effort the team had all season. I never expected this at all, and anything the Tigers do from here on in is a bonus. Of course I want them to keep winning, but a loss Saturday won't diminish the season they had.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 28th, 2011, 11:03 PM
http://lehighfootballnation.blogspot.com/2011/11/towson-making-believer-of-commander-in.html

What a turnaround for the Tigers. The more you look at it, the more amazing it seems.

andy7171
November 29th, 2011, 07:40 AM
If we lose to Lehigh, I will still be proud of these Tigers. And being that 18 starters return, the best is yet to come.

That said, Towson by 10.

Bogus Megapardus
November 29th, 2011, 07:55 AM
The Lines:

Towson (-4½) vs Lehigh o/u 56

Georgia Southern (-12) vs Old Dominion o/u 65

Montana (-10) vs Central Arkansas o/u 58½

Appalachian State (-3½) vs Maine o/u 54

Montana State (-6) vs New Hampshire o/u 68½

Sam Houston State (-10½) vs Stony Brook o/u 63½

North Dakota State (-9) vs James Madison o/u 39½

Northern Iowa (-10½) vs Wofford o/u 47

Bogus Megapardus
November 29th, 2011, 08:00 AM
Were I a bettin' man, I'd take Wofford and the points, and Sam Houston and lay the points.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 29th, 2011, 08:02 AM
Were I a bettin' man, I'd take Wofford and the points, and Sam Houston and lay the points.

Add New Hampshire + points, and that's a compelling trifecta.

andy7171
November 29th, 2011, 09:35 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qB3oK8hm5kY&feature=feedlik

blukeys
November 29th, 2011, 10:06 AM
http://lehighfootballnation.blogspot.com/2011/11/towson-making-believer-of-commander-in.html

What a turnaround for the Tigers. The more you look at it, the more amazing it seems.

Congrats to the Tigers on their season but Towson was never the basket case some thought. Despite their previous records they were always competitive in the CAA and had lots of talent.

They have recruited an unbelievably talented RB in West. Quite frankly he is the difference as Towson no longer has to run a dink and dunk offense. If Lehigh can limit the TU big plays they will have a shot. But West can shred a defense.

Bogus Megapardus
November 29th, 2011, 10:20 AM
I'm looking forward to this game, as well as the Maine/App State game. I wish they didn't overlap. Lehigh has cake-walked though many of its games this season, while Towson more often than not has given battle to the end. This is going to be the latter kind of game, I would imagine. Unless I'm kidding myself, this game is way too close to call. Some sort of intangible in favor of one team or the other is going to be the difference.

andy7171
November 29th, 2011, 10:24 AM
Congrats to the Tigers on their season but Towson was never the basket case some thought. Despite their previous records they were always competitive in the CAA and had lots of talent.

They have recruited an unbelievably talented RB in West. Quite frankly he is the difference as Towson no longer has to run a dink and dunk offense. If Lehigh can limit the TU big plays they will have a shot. But West can shred a defense.

Meh '09 qwas a complete disaster. We weren't very competitive in any of the games. In '10, while the record didn't show it, we could seen improvement. Being at 9-2 is surprising. I was expecting 5-6 or 6-5 this year.

blukeys
November 29th, 2011, 10:26 AM
Meh '09 qwas a complete disaster. We weren't very competitive in any of the games. In '10, while the record didn't show it, we could seen improvement. Being at 9-2 is surprising. I was expecting 5-6 or 6-5 this year.

That was before you saw West perform.

andy7171
November 29th, 2011, 11:03 AM
That was before you saw West perform.

True. Although he did tear it up in the Blacka dn Gold game in the spring. He was supposed to redshirt.

If you look at the other 3-4 runningbacks, they are all averaging over 5 yards a carry. This teams running game is all based on the o-line, 4 of which are sophomores.

RichH2
November 29th, 2011, 11:04 AM
FAN sighting, he is being himself over on that other board. We should send them a thank you card.

ONe thought, many posters refer to TU's stronger schedule vs LU 's weaker one as proof positive that TU must win. I do not pretend that LU's SOS compares at all with a CAA schedule. That said this is a one game season for these teams. LU would indeed not be dominant in CAA but nor would they be a doormat. The inherent lack of depth would tell over the course of a season. For one game it will not. LU's starters on both sides are very good. Good enough for 1 game, well we'll find out. It will be a fewer mistakes winner , I think. Both teams play a bendable D which will limit big plays. STs are an issue for both.

ngineer
November 29th, 2011, 01:00 PM

Absolutely! In fact, I'm picking Wofford to win that game.

ngineer
November 29th, 2011, 01:16 PM
FAN sighting, he is being himself over on that other board. We should send them a thank you card.

ONe thought, many posters refer to TU's stronger schedule vs LU 's weaker one as proof positive that TU must win. I do not pretend that LU's SOS compares at all with a CAA schedule. That said this is a one game season for these teams. LU would indeed not be dominant in CAA but nor would they be a doormat. The inherent lack of depth would tell over the course of a season. For one game it will not. LU's starters on both sides are very good. Good enough for 1 game, well we'll find out. It will be a fewer mistakes winner , I think. Both teams play a bendable D which will limit big plays. STs are an issue for both.

Yes, our STs will tell the tale I think. I'm not looking for them to win the game, I'm looking for them not to lose it. Your observation about Lehigh hanging with the CAA is on point. Depth is usually the bugaboo that rears its head in the fourth quarter. That was a real problem last year after having a tough game with UNI and then going down to a rested Delaware. This year, we should be older, wiser, and rested. Still have to execute, but I feel real good about our chances.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 30th, 2011, 11:39 AM
A piece on Lehigh's preparations in front of the Towson game:

http://lehighfootballnation.blogspot.com/2011/11/lehigh-prepares-for-towson.html

I cannot, CANNOT wait for Saturday. :D

andy7171
November 30th, 2011, 11:49 AM
I cannot, CANNOT wait for Saturday. :D

Understatment of the year. xnodx

LehighGuy
November 30th, 2011, 11:57 AM
Saturday's Prediction:

http://i.imgur.com/ApxND.png

LUHawker
November 30th, 2011, 01:12 PM
I think this game really comes down to a few things which are how do each team's strengths and weaknesses match up with each other.

On a scale of 1-10, of the relative advantage, here is my assessment:

Lehigh pass offense vs. TU pass defense - Advantage Lehigh (7-8)
Lehigh run offense vs. TU run defense - Advantage Towson (2-3)

Towson run offense vs. Lehigh run defense - Advantage Towson (4) Immediate reaction would be to favor Towson but Lehigh has a very good run defense. I'm sure all the CAA-lovers and FCS fans who only base their view of Lehigh on the strength of the conference, but I think that would be a mistake.

Towson pass offense vs. Lehigh pass defense - Advantage Lehigh (6-7) Since TU has little pass game, this is awkward to assess, but it favors Lehigh

Lehigh ST vs. Towson ST - Advantage NONE - both teams are weak in this area. The team that avoids the big play probably wins.

Net of all this is that I think that Lehigh wins this because it has a greater relative advantage of its offense vs. TU defense than TU's offense vs. LU's defense with ST being a push.

This is as an objective view that I can give on this game.

LehighU11
November 30th, 2011, 02:32 PM
Saturday's Prediction:

Nice, I see what you did there. Changed the spots to stripes.

TwoFeathers
November 30th, 2011, 02:59 PM
I think this game really comes down to a few things which are how do each team's strengths and weaknesses match up with each other.

Towson run offense vs. Lehigh run defense - Advantage Towson (4) Immediate reaction would be to favor Towson but Lehigh has a very good run defense. I'm sure all the CAA-lovers and FCS fans who only base their view of Lehigh on the strength of the conference, but I think that would be a mistake.

Towson pass offense vs. Lehigh pass defense - Advantage Lehigh (6-7) Since TU has little pass game, this is awkward to assess, but it favors Lehigh

Lehigh ST vs. Towson ST - Advantage NONE - both teams are weak in this area. The team that avoids the big play probably wins.

Net of all this is that I think that Lehigh wins this because it has a greater relative advantage of its offense vs. TU defense than TU's offense vs. LU's defense with ST being a push.

Good analysis. However, that kid West is a phenom. He has had multiple 200+yard rushing games against some very good defenses. And they can throw. The tough part is that if they can pound the ball, it wears a defense down, and eats up the clock. I don't know the stats of Towson's defense. Only to say they've stayed ahead of their competition this year, and some of that is attributed to the D. I think Lum is phenomenal as well, but from what I've seen from Towson this year, I think they will win this match up.

TwoFeathers
November 30th, 2011, 03:01 PM
I'm looking forward to this game, as well as the Maine/App State game. I wish they didn't overlap. Lehigh has cake-walked though many of its games this season, while Towson more often than not has given battle to the end. This is going to be the latter kind of game, I would imagine. Unless I'm kidding myself, this game is way too close to call. Some sort of intangible in favor of one team or the other is going to be the difference.

Do as I will be doing... two laptops side-by-side with ESPN3 ;)

Engineer86
November 30th, 2011, 04:52 PM
I am glad you are a contributor to the Partnership! Getting out bid for the home game is not surprising considering the lower attendance figures. Athletics has a budget each year for various contingencies. Lehigh will not dip into endowment or other such funds to get a home football game. It doesn't match the University's emphasis on athletics. As a state university, Towson may be in better position for getting such an event on its campus. Accounting for the use of limited funds may well be different at both schools. Is it possible we are keeping our powder dry in the longshot event of bidding to get JMU at home, should we win and the Dukes shake down "The Dome"? One can only hope. I think what bothered me was various posts taking this thread in a negative direction from its original intent. I believe there is room for alot of discussion and debate about what Lehigh, and other PL schools, can do to crack into the top tier on a consistent basis. Only merit based scholarships will help that happen. Should the League approve that, then we may have a shot at becoming competitive on a regular basis, like Furman and Wofford (two relatively small, private and excellent academic schools that are consistently in "the discussion"). At present, we have to enjoy what we have when it comes around every few years.
And, unfortunately, the "inconvenient truth" is that we may well be in a significant minority where the majority only sees football as a "nice" way to spend a fall afternoon 5-6 times a year. There is always the concern in academic circles that sports become too big with resultant abuses and bending of rules once the nectur of success is tasted and the people want 'more.' It's a delicate balance at schools where academics take priority.

I can't argue any of this. GO Lehigh

Engineer86
November 30th, 2011, 04:59 PM

I have not been a fan of Lehigh pass defense all year long. I hope Towson's pass offense is weak enough that we have an advantage, but this is clearly our weak spot on D

LUHawker
November 30th, 2011, 05:38 PM
I have not been a fan of Lehigh pass defense all year long. I hope Towson's pass offense is weak enough that we have an advantage, but this is clearly our weak spot on D

Agreed that it is the weak spot. Liberty's big receiver killed us and UNH's Orlando had a career day. I'm not sure if anyone else we played had great talent at that position. Still from a matchup standpoint, I like that our strength on D is going against their strength on O and not the inverse.

MTfan4life
November 30th, 2011, 06:45 PM

Grant Enders simply hasn't had to resort to the pass quite often this season because of West's success, but when he does, he's pretty reliable. He has an over 68% completion percentage and 14 TD's to 8 INT's. I'm assuming West touches the ball rather often in the red zone so that would attribute to Enders' low TD numbers. He doesn't come across as a weak link though.

ngineer
November 30th, 2011, 06:53 PM
Agreed that it is the weak spot. Liberty's big receiver killed us and UNH's Orlando had a career day. I'm not sure if anyone else we played had great talent at that position. Still from a matchup standpoint, I like that our strength on D is going against their strength on O and not the inverse.

I think our DBs have improved as the year progressed. Indeed, I think Drake is a better cover man than Johnson who got hurt, but returned for Lafayette. Johnson is a better tackler, so with West on the horizon, I would assume Johnson gets the starting nod with Drake the nickel back. I think various packages of run-blitzes will be needed to not only seal off West, but pressure Enders into some mistakes. The best way to stop/slow down a big back like West is to not let him get 'rolling downhill' but hit him in the backfield, similar to what we did with Eachus the past two years.

Engineer86
November 30th, 2011, 07:40 PM
I think our DBs have improved as the year progressed. Indeed, I think Drake is a better cover man than Johnson who got hurt, but returned for Lafayette. Johnson is a better tackler, so with West on the horizon, I would assume Johnson gets the starting nod with Drake the nickel back. I think various packages of run-blitzes will be needed to not only seal off West, but pressure Enders into some mistakes. The best way to stop/slow down a big back like West is to not let him get 'rolling downhill' but hit him in the backfield, similar to what we did with Eachus the past two years.

I definitely like Drake as a better pass defender. At the time he got hurt it seemed that Johnson was constantly getting beat. On Eachus, besides his being hurt this year, remember last year Gate was playing a backup redshirt Freshman at QB. I look forward to seeing West play, we have usually been solid against the run.

towsonx
November 30th, 2011, 07:51 PM
Saturday's Prediction:

Nice, but this is what normally happens when Tigers meet Mountain Hawks.............
http://i1.peperonity.info/c/D7CCEB/158058/ssc3/home/016/a-save.tigers/tigers_hunt_bird_03.jpg_320_320_0_9223372036854775 000_0_1_0.jpg

Bogus Megapardus
November 30th, 2011, 08:51 PM
Were this a Patriot League battle, given the collective sensibilities towards Lehigh, we might go with something like this:

http://www.forkparty.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/Unfair-Advantages-Tiger-Chicken.jpg

Clambake
November 30th, 2011, 09:38 PM
Towson's overall SoS was clearly superior to Lehigh's, but they did have 2 common opponents: Colgate and New Hampshire. Towson was 2-0 in these games and Lehigh was 1-1 but looking at the boxscores provides additional insight. Lehigh fared better in the yardage battle, averaging 500 yards of offense in these 2 games vs 473 for Towson, and allowing an average of only 378 vs 475 for Towson. It also should be noted that Nate Eachus played against Lehigh but did not play against Towson. Where Towson gained the advantage is in Turnover margin (+5 total in the 2 games vs 0 for Lehigh) and defense/special teams scores (scored 2 and gave up 0 as opposed to Lehigh which scored 0 and gave up 1). I think if Lehigh can avoid turnovers and a special teams collapse they have a good shot to win this game.

owascoag
November 30th, 2011, 10:12 PM
That's fantastic, and likely accurate

owascoag
November 30th, 2011, 10:12 PM
Were this a Patriot League battle, given the collective sensibilities towards Lehigh, we might go with something like this:

http://www.forkparty.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/Unfair-Advantages-Tiger-Chicken.jpg

That's fantastic, and likely accurate...........the photo that is

Lehigh Football Nation
December 1st, 2011, 12:04 AM
http://lehighfootballnation.blogspot.com/2011/11/amazing-different-powerbroking-football.html

The amazing, different, powerbroking history of Towson football.

ngineer
December 1st, 2011, 12:09 AM
Towson's overall SoS was clearly superior to Lehigh's, but they did have 2 common opponents: Colgate and New Hampshire. Towson was 2-0 in these games and Lehigh was 1-1 but looking at the boxscores provides additional insight. Lehigh fared better in the yardage battle, averaging 500 yards of offense in these 2 games vs 473 for Towson, and allowing an average of only 378 vs 475 for Towson. It also should be noted that Nate Eachus played against Lehigh but did not play against Towson. Where Towson gained the advantage is in Turnover margin (+5 total in the 2 games vs 0 for Lehigh) and defense/special teams scores (scored 2 and gave up 0 as opposed to Lehigh which scored 0 and gave up 1). I think if Lehigh can avoid turnovers and a special teams collapse they have a good shot to win this game.

Nice research. Yes, with Eachus, 'gate would have made more of a game of it..especially controlling the clock. I don't think the would have won, but score was certainly skewed.

andy7171
December 1st, 2011, 07:35 AM
http://lehighfootballnation.blogspot.com/2011/11/amazing-different-powerbroking-football.html

Nice article LFN! xnodxxnodxxnodx

UIWWildthing
December 1st, 2011, 08:17 AM

That is a great article!

RichH2
December 1st, 2011, 08:27 AM

Good catch. So after 100s of posts we're getting closer to game time Bookies have TU a 4 1/2 pt favorite others think TU will trounce Lehigh by 3 or more TDs. For Lehigh fans, the Qs remain, will we finally break our losing streak vs CAA? Do we have the talent and/or depth to last beyond the middle of the 3rd quarter? Can Lum, after a couple of flat weeks, light the fire? Can D stem TU's rushing attack? Will STs avoid self destructing?

Good now I feel better. Get rid of those nasty insecurities! I do think Chris will light up TU for yards and a bunch of 25+ yard TDs

Bogus Megapardus
December 1st, 2011, 08:42 AM

One of your best, LFN. An excellent read. xthumbsupx

I declare a self-imposed penance of (up to) one week without a pejorative jab at the feathered . . . err . . . Mountain Hawks.

LehighU11
December 1st, 2011, 09:22 AM
One of your best, LFN. An excellent read. xthumbsupx

I declare a self-imposed penance of (up to) one week without a pejorative jab at the feathered . . . err . . . Mountain Hawks.

Ahh Bogie, on Saturday evening, you will be with us in Paradise.

RichH2
December 1st, 2011, 09:34 AM
Great article.Do remember the early days. Coach built a program from the ground up. Ambrose has now been able to take the program over the hump and produce a miracle squad. I do hope that miracle part only extends to the regular season howeverxprayx

RichH2
December 1st, 2011, 09:55 AM
TSN weekend preview up, predicts TU over LU 44-41 noting that whichever team's D makes the last stop will win. Guess I will have to stock up on more heart medicine . I have found Rusty Nails to be particularly efficaciousxthumbsupx

UIWWildthing
December 1st, 2011, 10:44 AM
TSN weekend preview up, predicts TU over LU 44-41 noting that whichever team's D makes the last stop will win. Guess I will have to stock up on more heart medicine . I have found Rusty Nails to be particularly efficaciousxthumbsupx
Last team who scores will win is my guess :)

RichH2
December 1st, 2011, 10:57 AM
:)Not necessarily but a semantic difference. I do agree that as weird as it may be whichever D can stepup and slow down other O will be a key to game. Wildcard is STs. A couple of miscues by either team could decide the gamextroublex

Lehigh Football Nation
December 1st, 2011, 11:15 AM

... and up on the bulletin board it goes.

http://blog.gadgethelpline.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/free-MrBurnsExcellent.gif

Bogus Megapardus
December 1st, 2011, 01:25 PM
Ahh Bogie, on Saturday evening, you will be with us in Paradise.

Do I get 72 virgins? None of those Saucon Swine now . . . .

LehighU11
December 1st, 2011, 04:27 PM

Only if we make it to Frisco and you convert permanently. And none of the Saucon Swine are virgins, so you need not worry about being deceived.

TSU86
December 1st, 2011, 09:45 PM
thanks

would love to see a game in this incredible Fargo Dome that everyone is talking about

You better just watch the movie buddy

LehighGuy
December 1st, 2011, 10:03 PM
I miss TheFan. Every community needs a villain to rally against.

JohnG
December 1st, 2011, 11:55 PM
I don't post here often but I've enjoyed reading the board over the last few years and cant wait for what is sure to be a great game on Saturday.

Question for the Towson folks here: How strict do they enforce the tailgating rules? According to the Towson site you can only bring a six pack of beer. I mean do they actually do car inspections? I'm gonna be meeting up with friends for some tailgating and figured I'd just grab a case. Thanks

Lehigh Football Nation
December 1st, 2011, 11:59 PM
LFN's Game preview here:

http://lehighfootballnation.blogspot.com/2011/12/game-preview-fcs-playoffs-second-round.html

And coming Friday at lunchtime: a position-by-position breakdown of the Tigers, Keys to the Game, and Fearless Prediction.

Lehigh Football Nation
December 2nd, 2011, 12:03 AM

We could have used your Photoshop skills this week, Bogie. I figured I wouldn't ask because it would bring up too many bad memories... xlolx

ihop
December 2nd, 2011, 12:56 AM
Bring as much beer as you want, haven't had any problems

Clambake
December 2nd, 2011, 02:50 AM
I don't post here often but I've enjoyed reading the board over the last few years and cant wait for what is sure to be a great game on Saturday.

Question for the Towson folks here: How strict do they enforce the tailgating rules? According to the Towson site you can only bring a six pack of beer. I mean do they actually do car inspections? I'm gonna be meeting up with friends for some tailgating and figured I'd just grab a case. Thanks

What about the limitation of starting no earlier than 3 hours before gametime. Do they enforce that?

andy7171
December 2nd, 2011, 07:16 AM
What about the limitation of starting no earlier than 3 hours before gametime. Do they enforce that?

Yes. To the very minute. Towson police and SAFE workers are a-holes to the extreme.

Don't worry about beer. I've brought much MUCH more than a case in before.

UIWWildthing
December 2nd, 2011, 07:29 AM
LFN's Game preview here:

http://lehighfootballnation.blogspot.com/2011/12/game-preview-fcs-playoffs-second-round.html

And coming Friday at lunchtime: a position-by-position breakdown of the Tigers, Keys to the Game, and Fearless Prediction.
Once again, great article, but one slight correction; It's Natty Boh, with an h :)

UIWWildthing
December 2nd, 2011, 07:35 AM
I heard coming into work this morning that there were only about 600-700 tickets left for the game tomorrow. It's good to see people are wanting to see the Tigers play, and hopefully it's a good game (regardless of the outcome) that can help build a bigger fan base. A game like this can help Towson establish itself as "Baltimore's college team". (With all due respect to Morgan State)

Bogus Megapardus
December 2nd, 2011, 07:55 AM
We could have used your Photoshop skills this week, Bogie. I figured I wouldn't ask because it would bring up too many bad memories... xlolx

Get by Towson and I'll have plenty of Photoshop for you.

aust42
December 2nd, 2011, 08:31 AM
I heard coming into work this morning that there were only about 600-700 tickets left for the game tomorrow. It's good to see people are wanting to see the Tigers play, and hopefully it's a good game (regardless of the outcome) that can help build a bigger fan base. A game like this can help Towson establish itself as "Baltimore's college team". (With all due respect to Morgan State)

I purchased tickets Wed thru the Towson ticket office and at the time they said that there were 6,500 tickets sold. I'm a Delaware fan routing for the CAA in the playoffs!

aust42
December 2nd, 2011, 08:35 AM
Yes. To the very minute. Towson police and SAFE workers are a-holes to the extreme.

Don't worry about beer. I've brought much MUCH more than a case in before.

The lots were open four hours prior to the Delaware game. Is this a playoff tailgate policy?

Lehigh Football Nation
December 2nd, 2011, 09:06 AM

That is fantastic news. Last I heard Lehigh sold out something like 1,200-1,500 of their ticket allotment through the Lehigh ticket office, and that would be awesome if it's a sellout. On my blog I mentioned how great a job Towson did with their promotion of the game, and it looks like it may pay off in that way.

LehighGuy
December 2nd, 2011, 09:15 AM
FINALLY FRIDAY OF THE LONGEST WEEK EVER! LET'S GO LEHIGH!!!!!!

bluehenbillk
December 2nd, 2011, 09:51 AM
That is fantastic news. Last I heard Lehigh sold out something like 1,200-1,500 of their ticket allotment through the Lehigh ticket office, and that would be awesome if it's a sellout. On my blog I mentioned how great a job Towson did with their promotion of the game, and it looks like it may pay off in that way.

I saw where LU returned more than 600 tickets, how many did you get?

RichH2
December 2nd, 2011, 09:57 AM
Almost here. ??Is there anyplace near lots to wait for them to open for tailgating?

andy7171
December 2nd, 2011, 10:07 AM
Almost here. ??Is there anyplace near lots to wait for them to open for tailgating?

I think where visitor park it should be open. You are over near the baseball field and union garage. Not sure how the police "defend" that lot prior to the game. I know they close off the entire Auburn Dr that loops around the stadium and Towson Center.

I know if you have a parking pass, you are allowed in at 11:30am. If not the lots will open at 12:30.

LehighU11
December 2nd, 2011, 11:03 AM
Can't wait til tomorrow. These past two weeks have been torture. Fitting that Towson gave us Lot 11 because this is Lehigh's year!

Lehigh Football Nation
December 2nd, 2011, 02:42 PM
http://lehighfootballnation.blogspot.com/2011/12/breaking-down-towson-fcs-playoffs.html

My fearless prediction - and boy, is it fearless.

UIWWildthing
December 2nd, 2011, 02:49 PM
http://lehighfootballnation.blogspot.com/2011/12/breaking-down-towson-fcs-playoffs.html

And hopefully wrong :D

blukeys
December 2nd, 2011, 02:59 PM

I don't think you will hold Towson to 22 points.

bluehenbillk
December 2nd, 2011, 03:33 PM
41-22? That's beyond a homer prediction. If this was CS.com I'd be using the flag-throwing icon.

You're right, it's not a fearless prediction, just a stupid one. No wonder I never look at the CSJ crap.

ScissorBros
December 2nd, 2011, 03:50 PM
LFN's Keys to the Game

1. Winning the Toss. If I'm head coach Andy Coen, I'd be looking to get the ball first and put pressure on this Towson team to come from behind to beat the Mountain Hawks. Should Lehigh win the toss, I'd elect to receive, and see if I can jump out to a quick touchdown lead over the Tigers. And should that become an early 14-0 lead over the Tigers, look out.

You'd be surprised at how much Towson's offense does not care if the opposing team scores on the opening drive. I believe most games this season Towson started on defense and usually lets up points and big yards/plays. Towson's offense seems to always respond quickly.

Look at the New Hampshire game. UNH came out and quickly scored a TD. 5-7 minutes later, Towson was up 21-7. This isn't going to be the game you think it will be.

andy7171
December 2nd, 2011, 04:17 PM
Hey Lehigh WRs, pay close attention to 0:33 mark. Lum don't throw to Dangerfield's side...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnpYi1knDBQ

LehighU11
December 2nd, 2011, 04:33 PM
41-22? That's beyond a homer prediction. If this was CS.com I'd be using the flag-throwing icon.

You're right, it's not a fearless prediction, just a stupid one. No wonder I never look at the CSJ crap.

Shouldn't you Blue Hens hicks be getting ready for your next matchup with West Chester?

Lehigh Football Nation
December 2nd, 2011, 04:36 PM
Bring it!

Skeeter
December 2nd, 2011, 04:40 PM
Just left campus and the game is completely sold out!

Bogus Megapardus
December 2nd, 2011, 05:59 PM
41-22?

LFN, you're delusional.

ngineer
December 2nd, 2011, 06:44 PM
41-22?

LFN, you're delusional.

To paraphrase the old lady at the diner in "When Harry Met Sally", ....."I'll have what he's hav'in"..(;-)

I've dreamed of a nice offensive explosion, but my head says this will be tight and, probably, not as high scoring as everyone thinks--sort of like the Holy Cross game. I know we can win this thing, but it could come down to one or two key plays, so continued focus is critical. I'm picking the Mountain Hawks 27-24.

UIWWildthing
December 2nd, 2011, 07:18 PM
Hey Lehigh WRs, pay close attention to 0:33 mark. Lum don't throw to Dangerfield's side...

Click-clack I think you hear us coming...

Southsider
December 2nd, 2011, 09:39 PM
BTW Chuck (and all Lehigh Valley LU fans) I called Serviced Electric Cable today. The only way I get the game tomorrow is to pay a pro-rated $87 for ESPN Gameplan. No can do. I'll take my chances on ESPN3.com. Go LU!!!

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 2nd, 2011, 09:41 PM
Lehigh has to protect Lum and avoid special teams mistakes.

The Hawks are due to beat a CAA team! Go Lehigh!!

ngineer
December 2nd, 2011, 11:03 PM

I thought he "got no respect"? (;-) I"m sure "Trick Drwal" and the "Flyin' Spadola" will do fine. Bus leaves in 9 1/2 hours!

RichH2
December 3rd, 2011, 09:43 AM

xbowxxsmileyclapxxsmileyclapx

WOW! From your mouth to God's ear. I am not nearly so optimistic but what the heck, Good luck and good game today. GO LEHIGH

TSU86
December 3rd, 2011, 09:58 AM
lehigh = Dead man walking !!!!!!!!!!!!

Hoping for an injury free game for both teams, and may the refs have a good day

RichH2
December 3rd, 2011, 10:10 AM
lehigh = Dead man walking !!!!!!!!!!!!

Hoping for an injury free game for both teams, and may the refs have a good day

Ah the refs, good catch TSU86. Agree beautiful day and a remarkably easy drive. Nomatter what great for us both to be here in the 2nd round.May the better team win

Bogus Megapardus
December 3rd, 2011, 10:18 AM
http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSn4RbxIPcvEW247gj2SsALU-ub7czxK8smlhKLFdPo9AFWUTBpoBrZJaTr

RichH2
December 3rd, 2011, 10:23 AM
http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSn4RbxIPcvEW247gj2SsALU-ub7czxK8smlhKLFdPo9AFWUTBpoBrZJaTr

xsmileyclapxxsmileyclapxxsmileyclapx tres cute. And another cup of coffee on the deck. Should put up a WARNING sign DANGEROUS slapstick humor ahead . PUT down all drinks.

Thanks for the chuckle

Pard4Life
December 3rd, 2011, 12:11 PM

What a boob... What a maroon... LFN is sniffing the funny stuff again, just like the day he professed his love for everyone and everything. Even if Towson wins it won't be by that much.

Bogus Megapardus
December 3rd, 2011, 01:41 PM
What a boob... What a maroon... LFN is sniffing the funny stuff again, just like the day he professed his love for everyone and everything. Even if Towson wins it won't be by that much.

I changed my mind about wanting Lehigh to win after I saw that prediction. "Entitled" run amok.

Go Towson!

Pard4Life
December 3rd, 2011, 02:37 PM
GTFOOH... Lehigh is wearing brown pants!!! Hahaha!!

Pard4Life
December 3rd, 2011, 02:39 PM
A fake punt on 4th and 3, first down LU at the T40, 13:27 1stQ... WTF?

Pard4Life
December 3rd, 2011, 02:40 PM
First down, 30 yrd pass to the 11...

Pard4Life
December 3rd, 2011, 02:44 PM
Umpire makes the tackle on Spadola at the five! 4th down... AND 3-0 Turds.

Pard4Life
December 3rd, 2011, 02:44 PM
In fairness though, the Towson DB was about to tackle Spadola.

Engineer86
December 3rd, 2011, 02:46 PM
In fairness though, the Towson DB was about to tackle Spadola.

Glad you knew that

Pard4Life
December 3rd, 2011, 02:46 PM
Good field position for T, @ 32L.

Engineer86
December 3rd, 2011, 02:48 PM
That was a fumble not called these refs are great

Pard4Life
December 3rd, 2011, 02:50 PM
That was a Towson catch!

Pard4Life
December 3rd, 2011, 02:51 PM
That was a fumble not called these refs are great

Ooof... that would be a very tough one with replay! L took the ball from the T WR, after it was caught and he touched the T WR.

Pard4Life
December 3rd, 2011, 02:52 PM
MEAC refs...

Engineer86
December 3rd, 2011, 02:54 PM
A screwball field goal must be wind there

Pard4Life
December 3rd, 2011, 02:54 PM
God is pulling for Towson... ball somehow rights itself for a FG... 3-3.

Engineer86
December 3rd, 2011, 02:56 PM
Ooof... that would be a very tough one with replay! L took the ball from the T WR, after it was caught and he touched the T WR.

Receiver juggled it never had possession and Newton took it before it hit the ground. You are correct these refs must be MEAC

Pard4Life
December 3rd, 2011, 02:58 PM
I hope MplsBison heard that scholarship quote by the PAs.

Engineer86
December 3rd, 2011, 02:58 PM
This looks like it will be a good game as expected

Engineer86
December 3rd, 2011, 02:59 PM
That was a good call cheap shot at a a defenseless wr

Pard4Life
December 3rd, 2011, 02:59 PM
UGH!!! That's not a flag but in this day and age... it will be.

Pard4Life
December 3rd, 2011, 03:01 PM
Receiver juggled it never had possession and Newton took it before it hit the ground. You are correct these refs must be MEAC

No really, these are MEAC refs... announcer said it... looked like he solidified possession after he initially juggled it though.

Engineer86
December 3rd, 2011, 03:02 PM
Td spadola

Pard4Life
December 3rd, 2011, 03:03 PM
5'11 vs. 6'3?? Must have got that idea from the Lafayette tape... TD LU Spadola 10-3.

Engineer86
December 3rd, 2011, 03:07 PM
Wow, I like what I see so far QB looks nervous

Lehigh Football Nation
Still think I'm delusional?

Pard4Life
Interesting LU is not kicking the ball on KOs...

ps the Cain Train has officially derailed.

Pard4Life
December 3rd, 2011, 03:08 PM
Still think I'm delusional?

YES! Hippie...

Pard4Life
December 3rd, 2011, 03:11 PM
Lum looks like he's in the zone though.

Pard4Life
December 3rd, 2011, 03:13 PM
LU is going to win this game though because Towson is relying upon that idiotic zone... it never works unless you have fast, athletic DBs, which you will not find at this level.

Engineer86
December 3rd, 2011, 03:14 PM
So far so good, I agree Lum looks good

Pard4Life
December 3rd, 2011, 03:16 PM
Go for it... 4th and inches, over the 50.

Engineer86
December 3rd, 2011, 03:16 PM
Big play here

Engineer86
December 3rd, 2011, 03:17 PM
I do not think so

Pard4Life
December 3rd, 2011, 03:18 PM
Wow! Didn't get it!

Engineer86
Announce a sellout while you clearly see empty seats

Pard4Life
ps first sellout since stadium opened in 2001... but there are empty seats.

Pard4Life
December 3rd, 2011, 03:19 PM
Announce a sellout while you clearly see empty seats

I think we should alternate the obvious facts!

Engineer86
December 3rd, 2011, 03:20 PM
Knee looked down on that