PDA

View Full Version : SoCon Post season honors announced:

Eagle22
November 22nd, 2011, 01:19 PM
http://www.soconsports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=205337627&DB_OEM_ID=4000

TheEagleWay
November 22nd, 2011, 01:37 PM
HAIL SOUTHERN!

Reign of Terrier
November 22nd, 2011, 01:43 PM
having Alvin Scioneaux on the second team as opposed to the first is a crime against humanity IMO.

asumike83
November 22nd, 2011, 01:44 PM
Only 3 of the 5 awards?! I think GSU was disrespected. :D

biggie
November 22nd, 2011, 01:45 PM
For a second I thought Chattown may have been the voter on the 2nd team.

Skjellyfetti
November 22nd, 2011, 01:52 PM
I think Ronald Blair should have been Freshman of the Year... but, it's hard to argue that award since there's not much statistically to go on between those guys... and comparing a defensive lineman to a QB and RB is difficult. Oh well. He'll be defensive player of the year at least once before he's done.

SoConisMyAntiDrug
November 22nd, 2011, 01:54 PM
Joshua Jones from Elon.....on the 2nd team.....I felt that he was most definitely one of the top 3 LB's in the Conference

TheEagleWay
November 22nd, 2011, 01:58 PM
Only 3 of the 5 awards?! I think GSU was disrespected. :D

Its alright, there is other hardware to walk home with that is up for grabs. :)

PaladinFan
November 22nd, 2011, 02:45 PM
having Alvin Scioneaux on the second team as opposed to the first is a crime against humanity IMO.

Joined by the league's leading tackler, no less.

Fabian Truss over Jerry Williams? Really? You are going to put a 1,000 yard rusher on the second team behind a guy with 200 fewer yards rushing, fewer yards per game, fewer touchdowns, and fewer carries? Really?

biggie
November 22nd, 2011, 02:50 PM
All freshman team:
http://www.soconsports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=205337440&DB_OEM_ID=4000

phoenix3
November 22nd, 2011, 02:50 PM
Joshua Jones from Elon.....on the 2nd team.....I felt that he was most definitely one of the top 3 LB's in the Conference

I agree with you. I also get that the offensive player of the year should have helped his team to at least a winning season and better, a trip to the playoffs. But, frankly, if they were to pick the best offensive player in the conference that's Aaron Mellette, hands down.

cbarrier90
November 22nd, 2011, 03:00 PM
http://www.soconsports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=205337627&DB_OEM_ID=4000

Great list, although I do think Blair should have made at least 2nd team on defense. Ditto for Chris Aiken and/or Dan Wylie.

Zero representation on either list for WCU. Ouch...

Reign of Terrier
November 22nd, 2011, 03:12 PM
I agree with you. I also get that the offensive player of the year should have helped his team to at least a winning season and better, a trip to the playoffs. But, frankly, if they were to pick the best offensive player in the conference that's Aaron Mellette, hands down.

EB has comparable numbers. Mellette would not have it "hands down," EB probably had it more "hands down" than Mellette

phoenix3
November 22nd, 2011, 03:30 PM
EB is not top ten anything in the FCS. Mellette is #1 in receptions, #1 in receiving yards and #10 in all purpose running, (EB is #44 in that category btw). Fabian Truss at least broke into the top ten in that category. EB zilch.

smallcollegefbfan
November 22nd, 2011, 03:33 PM
Only a few adjustments I would make:

Orry Frye should be 2nd team. I think Dakota Dozier and William Maxwell are both better players.

Alvin Scioneaux, like another poster said, should be first team.

It's a tough pick though because Anderson is just as worthy. If there were 4 LBs I would say Kimbrough, Anderson, Scioneaux, and Consiglio for sure.

Other than that nothing much that you can say looks bad. Overall a pretty good group. Can't think of a major snub.

Anyone know of a player that would be a huge snub if the media does not honor them?

chattanoogamocs
November 22nd, 2011, 03:36 PM
Gotta love the future if you are a Mocfan.

Seven on the All-Freshman team (including co-Freshman of the Year at QB)

+ Four returning 1st or 2nd team All-SoCon.

The defense ought to be pretty stout next year...they were ranked #1 this year in fewest points and yards allowed...and will return four 1st/2nd team All-SoCon + 3 All-Freshmen D-Linemen (plus they return pre-season 2nd team all-SoCon Nick Davison from a medical redshirt year and add Chris Mayes from Navy)

smallcollegefbfan
November 22nd, 2011, 03:36 PM
EB has comparable numbers. Mellette would not have it "hands down," EB probably had it more "hands down" than Mellette

One thing to think about. If Quick and Mellette swapped teams I think you could argue that Quick would probably have had 2,000 yards and 20 TDs, which probably would earn him the Payton Award. I think EB is a product of the season more than anything.

Regardless, Quick and Mellette are the two best offensive players while EB had the best season in terms of numbers.

ElonPride
November 22nd, 2011, 03:48 PM
One thing to think about. If Quick and Mellette swapped teams I think you could argue that Quick would probably have had 2,000 yards and 20 TDs, which probably would earn him the Payton Award. I think EB is a product of the season more than anything.

Regardless, Quick and Mellette are the two best offensive players while EB had the best season in terms of numbers.

IDK, breaking the SoCon record for receiving yards (formerly held by a teammate) is a pretty good number. Guess it's not enough! :)

Reign of Terrier
November 22nd, 2011, 03:53 PM
EB is not top ten anything in the FCS. Mellette is #1 in receptions, #1 in receiving yards and #10 in all purpose running, (EB is #44 in that category btw). Fabian Truss at least broke into the top ten in that category. EB zilch.
too bad this is a Socon honor, not an FCS honor. Oh, and you're wrong, EB is #10 in scoring in the FCS, I don't see Mellete in that category. They're both products of a system, but you just made the argument that Fabian Truss deserves it more than EB, therefore your argument is invalid and you're just homer

phoenix3
November 22nd, 2011, 03:59 PM
too bad this is a Socon honor, not an FCS honor. Oh, and you're wrong, EB is #10 in scoring in the FCS, I don't see Mellete in that category. They're both products of a system, but you just made the argument that Fabian Truss deserves it more than EB, therefore your argument is invalid and you're just homer

No I didn't make the argument that Truss deserved it more than EB. I did make the argument that Mellette is the better offensive athlete. I would also make the argument that EB deserves it because he led his team to a winning season and a playoff appearance. And if there has ever been a non student and non alumnus homer it is you my boy.

Reign of Terrier
November 22nd, 2011, 04:17 PM
No I didn't make the argument that Truss deserved it more than EB. I did make the argument that Mellette is the better offensive athlete. I would also make the argument that EB deserves it because he led his team to a winning season and a playoff appearance. And if there has ever been a non student and non alumnus homer it is you my boy.

well you either are making the argument that Truss deserves it more or you're proving that stats mean nothing....and there aren't many non-student, non-alumnus fans on here, let alone homers

GSU Eagle
November 22nd, 2011, 04:25 PM
Not surprised with Monken or Russell at all. I was a bit surprised with Swoop as co-freshman of the year. He has come into his own the last 2 weeks, but before the Wofford game he was getting little playing time behind Brown.

Barring injury I am predicting big, big things for Swoop in his 3 remaining years as an Eagle. He looks like the fullbacks of old for GSU and is in some ways similar to Peterson.

phoenix3
November 22nd, 2011, 04:51 PM

Possibly. I know I only saw Quick play one game a year for the last 4 years, and I have seen Mellette play every game for the last three years, so I certainly have much more data on Mellette. But based on what I have seen, I like what Mellette does after the catch better than Quick. Quick may be the better route runner though. HOWEVER, please don't read this to mean that either of those two are not superlative at anything.

I agree with your statement about Quick, Mellette and EB too.

PaladinFan
November 22nd, 2011, 05:25 PM
Both Britenstien and Mallette are system guys. I give the nod to the guy that gets hit every play, though.

PaladinFan
November 22nd, 2011, 05:26 PM
Didn't notice Colin Anderson on there first time through. Hard to argue with that. I don't think there was another SoCon TE in his zip code this season.

chattanoogamocs
November 22nd, 2011, 09:21 PM
Not surprised with Monken or Russell at all. I was a bit surprised with Swoop as co-freshman of the year. He has come into his own the last 2 weeks, but before the Wofford game he was getting little playing time behind Brown.

Barring injury I am predicting big, big things for Swoop in his 3 remaining years as an Eagle. He looks like the fullbacks of old for GSU and is in some ways similar to Peterson.

The field of freshmen had a number of solid players, but it didn't have a whole lot of huge standouts this year (IMO). Terrell Robinson got co-player and only really played in 2 full games and 2 half games (albeit, in a very large spotlight as QB). Swope benefited from "what have you done for me lately" including his big run at Alabama last weekend.

FurmanWins!!
November 22nd, 2011, 09:30 PM
I think for the most part these all make sense, nothing is ever perfect but all in all a good list, I expect something similar from the media all conference teams as well.

TwoFeathers
November 22nd, 2011, 09:33 PM
Brent Russell Defensive Player Of The Year? I guess nobody saw Alabama's Trent Richardson drag Russell about 15 yards down the field like a kid's book-bag??? He should have dropped a few slots on the list on that one play alone ;)

TwoFeathers
November 22nd, 2011, 09:36 PM

I think Monken is still riding his achievements from last year, making the semi's after going, what, 4-4? This year was a bit more expected. I suppose there wasn't a better story in the SoCon this year for head coach.

straightshooter
November 22nd, 2011, 10:05 PM
Brent Russell Defensive Player Of The Year? I guess nobody saw Alabama's Trent Richardson drag Russell about 15 yards down the field like a kid's book-bag??? He should have dropped a few slots on the list on that one play alone ;)

They saw the times when he dropped Richardson for no gain or a loss of a yard or two. That happened quite a few times.

straightshooter
November 22nd, 2011, 10:06 PM
I think Monken is still riding his achievements from last year, making the semi's after going, what, 4-4? This year was a bit more expected. I suppose there wasn't a better story in the SoCon this year for head coach.

He should have won it last year given the cluster he inherited. This year he truly deserved it.

eaglewraith
November 22nd, 2011, 10:26 PM

You go try to stop that beast.

Don't worry, I'll wait :)

seantaylor
November 23rd, 2011, 01:34 AM
Brent was never dragged anywhere. He was eating Alabamas interior lineman up and was punishing Richardson all game.

PaladinFan
November 23rd, 2011, 06:48 AM

He was the head coach of the best team. Seems silly to give it to anyone else.

Baldy
November 23rd, 2011, 07:51 AM
What game were you watching?
However, I did see Richardson get blown up by a 5'9" 179lb Corner for a 4 yard loss. xlolx