PDA

View Full Version : Biggest Disappointment in 2011?

Brad82
November 21st, 2011, 08:11 PM
I nominate Rhody.
It was a threshold year in CAA for some new teams,they were not one of them.
Others?

heath
November 21st, 2011, 08:20 PM
Or 3 other CAA teams,take your pick-W&M,Nova or Richmond,but.....
#1 is preseason #1-EWU

Cleets
November 21st, 2011, 08:21 PM
Eastern Washington...
Came in Ranked #1
Had just won it all
Had their starting QB returning
They were loaded

That clanging sound behind you was them deconstructing.... in a pile

FIDO-GATA
November 21st, 2011, 08:35 PM
UTC

ngineer
November 21st, 2011, 08:53 PM
EWU has to be the biggest given the preseason prognostications. Regionally, in the East, Fordham, by winning only one game after going to scholarships two years ago has to be a huge disappointment.

MTfan4life
November 21st, 2011, 08:59 PM
I think Eastern Washington was exposed to how much they lost with Sherritt graduating. I'd say Richmond. They were ranked 6th in the AGS Poll after week 3 and they did not win one game after that. That's quite a collapse.

Gil Dobie
November 21st, 2011, 09:00 PM
Princeton, gave Lehigh a game, then went on to finish the season 1-9.

tribefan40
November 21st, 2011, 09:02 PM
#1 is preseason #1-EWU

Nova and Richmond were 'rebuilding,' new coach for UR, a dirth of seniors. Wouldn't rate them as surprise dissapointments. W&M is up there with EWU in my mind. Pre-season top 3 or 4, a number of seniors and lots of hope for Paulus coming back, strong D. Just never materialized this year.

BisonFan02
November 21st, 2011, 09:05 PM
Chatty and W&M....EWU too

Squealofthepig
November 21st, 2011, 10:11 PM
EWU, Chattanooga, SIU, SUU, SDSU. The last three were all Jeckyl & Hyde teams, with great wins coupled with just oddly curious losses.

EWU also had one of the most brutal openings of any season, playing all of their toughest games early, although the South Dakota loss still was a head scratcher.

Wildcat80
November 21st, 2011, 10:17 PM
#1 is preseason #1-EWU

Not to UNH fans but those fans HAVE to be disappointed. The investors in those facilities too. Makes the CONSISTENT success of UNH even more outstanding.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 21st, 2011, 10:18 PM
Colgate was a pretty big dissapointment imo. I really thought heading into the year the PL would get two teams in, Lehigh and Colgate. Lehigh edged out the Raiders by 3 points in the pre-season poll. They also made quite a few preseason Top 25 polls. The Eachus injury obviously hurt but their defense really struggled.

Central Connecticut State is another under the radar dissapointment.

ODUsmitty
November 21st, 2011, 10:23 PM
Georgia State.

After all the talk from their fans, they end up losing to an NAIA school and a D2.

But no worries, they are just passing through FCS on their way to FBS.

Georgia State, lowering the RPI of every opponent in every sport, one NAIA loss at a time.

Chi Panther
November 21st, 2011, 10:36 PM
EWU, RB to Raiders hurt
SUU, Great QB, but still need more athletes
Illinois State, Understand the loses to NDSU and UNI, but should have won the rest....

asumike83
November 21st, 2011, 10:57 PM
To me, biggest disappointments of 2011, in this order:

1) Eastern Washington
2) William & Mary
3) Delaware
4) Jacksonville State
5) Chattanooga

First four spent time in the top 10 and failed to make the postseason. Chattanooga showed flashes but once again, could not finish games.

frozennorth
November 21st, 2011, 11:00 PM
Add siu. Weren't they top 15 to start the season?

AppMAN04
November 21st, 2011, 11:23 PM

1) Eastern Washington
2) William & Mary
3) Delaware
4) Jacksonville State
5) Chattanooga

First four spent time in the top 10 and failed to make the postseason. Chattanooga showed flashes but once again, could not finish games.

+1

MTfan4life
November 22nd, 2011, 01:07 AM
EWU, RB to Raiders hurt
Illinois State, Understand the loses to NDSU and UNI, but should have won the rest....

Losing their do everything defensive stud was a much larger impact. Their D was awful this season.

Cleets
November 22nd, 2011, 01:12 AM

1) Eastern Washington
2) William & Mary
3) Delaware
4) Jacksonville State
5) Chattanooga

+1 Well done sir

DFW HOYA
November 22nd, 2011, 01:40 AM
Fordham: Finished 1-10, with a three point decision over Columbia. No one expected that kind of season from this team.

Squealofthepig
November 22nd, 2011, 02:16 AM
Add siu. Weren't they top 15 to start the season?

Yep. I had them on mine (bottom of page one). The Salukis could be said to be inconsistent (at best) - they start out with a solid road win at SEMO then just lay down and die before showing they do have some good talent and knocking the Sycamores out of the playoffs. I like the SIU fanbase on here, but they've all been quiet and probably brooding somewhere, as this season had to be a disappointment.

Screamin_Eagle174
November 22nd, 2011, 03:15 AM
Losing their do everything defensive stud was a much larger impact. Their D was awful this season.

Losing DT Tyler Jolley to pair along side Renard hurt too. We struggled to get pressure early in the year, which put more strain on the secondary that was lacking Sherritt, and sustained season-ending injuries to our best players on D in the All-American Johnson twins (LB Zach and SS Matt). Plus we had two new guys at corner. Overall though, injuries killed us this, combined with starting the first 3 on the road and such a top-heavy schedule. Despite all that, we were 8 points from 8-3 and defending our title. This team battled hard, but the rough start was too much to overcome.

Whoever steps in at QB next year though is going to have a plethora of big, talented and experienced WRs to help him out. Should be keep us in contention.

GaSouthern
November 22nd, 2011, 05:39 AM
Chattownmocs

WrenFGun
November 22nd, 2011, 06:43 AM
I think Richmond was the big disappointment for me, as I had them higher than W&M or Delaware, given their QB questions. Hard to fault them given what happened to their coach before the start of the season, though.

I think EWU is the big disappointment. They lost a lot, but if you return your QB, I always think you should make the playoffs the next year. I think next year is the year UNH's playoff streak may end as they do not have a QB with any experience.

superman7515
November 22nd, 2011, 06:47 AM
William & Mary and Eastern Washington.

Cocky
November 22nd, 2011, 06:57 AM
JSU
UTC
Richmond

ysubigred
November 22nd, 2011, 06:58 AM
William & Mary and Eastern Washington.

+1 ^^

bluehenbillk
November 22nd, 2011, 07:55 AM

1) Eastern Washington
2) William & Mary
3) Delaware
4) Jacksonville State
5) Chattanooga

I agree with those top 3 - no specific order.

SpeedkingATL
November 22nd, 2011, 09:17 AM
EWU
W&M
Richmond
UTC
Delaware

NSUDemon98
November 22nd, 2011, 09:40 AM
THE 2011 Northwestern State Demons...

2009 0-11
2010 5-6

........most of the 2010 coming back including our fiery, gutsy QB...

2011 5-6...QB was kicked off the team after Week 1 and we end the season on a 3 game losing streak. The only SLC teams we beat were Southeastern, Nicholls and Lamar xmadx

darell1976
November 22nd, 2011, 09:51 AM
EWU, RB to Raiders hurt

They were the preseason favorite to win the GWFC title...and ended up 1-3 in the conference including a home loss to UND.

TheRevSFA
November 22nd, 2011, 09:54 AM
SFA. Back to back SLC champions..retained our key role players except having a new QB..going 1-5 before the bye with the only win being against McMurry.

Thank God we salvaged a 6-5 season.

Eaglesrus
November 22nd, 2011, 10:52 AM
Don't know yet, remains to be seen if UTC will be declared national champion.

eagle07
November 22nd, 2011, 10:53 AM
The playoff bracket

Walkon79
November 22nd, 2011, 05:19 PM
Eastern Washington...
Came in Ranked #1
Had just won it all
Had their starting QB returning
They were loaded

That clanging sound behind you was them deconstructing.... in a pile

Yeah, and the BSC offensive player of the year no less. Threw for over 4,000 yards and they still didn't get in. They missed Skerrit a ton on D.

Screamin_Eagle174
November 22nd, 2011, 06:36 PM
Yeah, and the BSC offensive player of the year no less. Threw for over 4,000 yards and they still didn't get in. They missed Skerrit a ton on D.

Who's Skerrit? xlolx

Squealofthepig
November 22nd, 2011, 07:28 PM
Who's Skerrit? xlolx

Yay! Good to see you back.

Houndawg
November 22nd, 2011, 08:01 PM
Yep. I had them on mine (bottom of page one). The Salukis could be said to be inconsistent (at best) - they start out with a solid road win at SEMO then just lay down and die before showing they do have some good talent and knocking the Sycamores out of the playoffs. I like the SIU fanbase on here, but they've all been quiet and probably brooding somewhere, as this season had to be a disappointment.

Yeah it has been a letdown for sure, because we looked pretty good on paper - experienced QB, good offensive line anchored by two All-Americans, Big 10 xfer RB and TE.....

The conventional wisdom is that our season ended with Paul McIntosh, the MVC leader in total offense at the time, lost for the year in the 2nd quarter of game 3 against WIU. Backup QB Kory Faulkner got his first four starts against NDSU, YSU, UNI, and IlSU, all teams that should have been in the playoffs. He did as well as could be expected but our offense was seriously limited. Now, imo, there was a problem even before that and it was the bye in week 3. My opinion, and I'm not close to the program in any way, is that we got over confident after a very good showing against Ol Miss. We spotted them 21 in five minutes and then out played them for the rest of the game, causing them to leave their starters in for the duration. Seven plays of 30yrds or more, our NT took their Rimington candidate C to school with 8 tackles and 2 sacks, so even though we lost by 18 to a bad SEC team, we were feeling good about ourselves, and then, imo, spent the bye week losing that momentum. After the bye week we were a different team, struggling to beat MSU and losing to WIU, NDSU, YSU, UNI, ISU, and SDSU in sequence, all of them in doubt in the 4th quarter, some til the last play. We generally got out-adjusted at halftime, and our other big problem was strength and conditioning which is noticeably down from the Kill era and has hopefully been solved by a new hire from the PAC-10. If there is an upside to a 4-7 season it's that we played our best football against our toughest opponents and were in every game late in the 4th quarter, except Ol' Miss. I may whine a little more later.

HannahO
November 22nd, 2011, 08:05 PM
In addition to losing three top players to graduation, and a killer schedule, EWU had so many injuries they had to start a RS TE as their center for a couple of games. Injuries are part of the deal but ...A total of 13 starters suffered injuries that kept them out of the lineup – including seven players lost for the season. In fact, only one offensive lineman – senior tackle Gabriel Jackson – started all 11 Eastern games, as a total of 10 players have started this season along the offensive line.

Eastern started 44 different players this season – 23 on offense and 21 on defense – with only five players (Jackson, quarterback Bo Levi Mitchell, wide receiver Nicholas Edwards, defensive tackle Charles Moetului and defensive end Paul Ena) starting all 11 games. A total of 19 players made starting debuts this season.

No doubt, it was a disappointing season, but it was actually pretty amazing that they were two, three point losses (to FBS University of Washington and UM) from being 8-3 and in the playoff field.

JmuSkinsfan
November 22nd, 2011, 09:54 PM
Nova and Richmond were 'rebuilding,' new coach for UR, a dirth of seniors. Wouldn't rate them as surprise dissapointments. W&M is up there with EWU in my mind. Pre-season top 3 or 4, a number of seniors and lots of hope for Paulus coming back, strong D. Just never materialized this year.

Yeah, I remember pre-season saying that UR was right where it should have been. I believe Phil Steele had them at #38 and a lot of UR fans were up in arms about that. I thought they were incredibly overrated at 3-0 ... but didn't think they were 3-8 bad. I was also surprised by Villanova's pre-season rankings. They lost so much from last year's team that I just couldn't see them being a contendor. They were #10 in Lindy's preseason top 25. I would have to say the biggest disappointment, though, at least in the CAA, falls on Rhode Island and WM. I expected WM to be a title contendor and thought Rhode Island would be at least 6-5 if not 7-4+ and challenging for a playoff spot.

eagle1
November 22nd, 2011, 09:58 PM
My Eags were indeed a disappointment but we will be back next year.

GridCaptain
November 26th, 2011, 06:03 AM
Delaware coming up lame all season was a major disappointment. I love UD and the way they play 90% of the time but Keeler and his ego got in the way of what could have been a good season. Why UD plays a D2 team every year is just ego driven as Keeler must feel that the 7 win baseline does not apply to him.

Tribe4SF
November 26th, 2011, 06:23 AM
Delaware coming up lame all season was a major disappointment. I love UD and the way they play 90% of the time but Keeler and his ego got in the way of what could have been a good season. Why UD plays a D2 team every year is just ego driven as Keeler must feel that the 7 win baseline does not apply to him.

From his comments, it would appear he did think the Hens were expempt. He knows better now.

GridCaptain
November 26th, 2011, 06:35 AM
Delaware admins, coaches and fans all think they are special. Reality bites.

superman7515
November 26th, 2011, 07:42 AM

UD started playing that D2 team in 1941 and has played them every year since 1968. Since KC Keeler was 9 at the time the series began, he must have had amazing pull within NCAA football to get that all set up so that 40 years later when he became coach he could allow his ego to be stroked.

Ivytalk
November 26th, 2011, 09:14 AM
In the Ivies, I'd have to say Dartmouth. They finished strong, but they never really recovered from that early loss to Penn.

MR. CHICKEN
November 26th, 2011, 09:21 AM
From his comments, it would appear he did think the Hens were expempt. He knows better now.

16277.....HE KNEW BETTERAH....ALL ALONG........HE WAS CAMPAIGNIN'............;)....BRAWK!

caribbeanhen
November 26th, 2011, 09:52 AM
16277.....HE KNEW BETTERAH....ALL ALONG........HE WAS CAMPAIGNIN'............;)....BRAWK!

he knew, Mr. KC Keeler seemed aloof at times this year. He knows something we don't yet know.

superman7515
November 26th, 2011, 03:12 PM
he knew, Mr. KC Keeler seemed aloof at times this year. He knows something we don't yet know.

Just remember, if a "dream job xrolleyesx" like the North Carolina Tar Heels opens up, he said he has to listen...

LehighU11
November 26th, 2011, 03:21 PM
Delaware should drop West Chester and add Lehigh back to its schedule xnodx

superman7515
November 26th, 2011, 03:34 PM
Next season is the last game against West Chester and then the contract is over and done with unless West Chester somehow moves up to D1 30-40 years in the future.

Engineer86
November 26th, 2011, 04:23 PM
Next season is the last game against West Chester and then the contract is over and done with unless West Chester somehow moves up to D1 30-40 years in the future.

I would think the West Chester game going away would be a "disappointment" for the JMU fans based on this season's playoff field. xlolx

Seriously, I never understood why UD kept playing that game. Rotate through the NEC and Patriot League to fill that slot, and I will say it for you, it will still usually be a win, but it will count. I would think that many would agree to a game at UD, just wish you guys would come out and play once in a while.

superman7515
November 26th, 2011, 04:49 PM
I would think the West Chester game going away would be a "disappointment" for the JMU fans based on this season's playoff field. xlolx

Seriously, I never understood why UD kept playing that game. Rotate through the NEC and Patriot League to fill that slot, and I will say it for you, it will still usually be a win, but it will count. I would think that many would agree to a game at UD, just wish you guys would come out and play once in a while.

The former President of UD was a West Chester grad and kept re-signing the game and then signed an extension shortly before leaving.

ChooChoo
November 27th, 2011, 01:25 AM
Georgia State.

After all the talk from their fans, they end up losing to an NAIA school and a D2.

But no worries, they are just passing through FCS on their way to FBS.

Georgia State, lowering the RPI of every opponent in every sport, one NAIA loss at a time.

HOW DARE YOU MAKE ME PULL FOR SOUTHERN!!!! Seriously, I hope the Eagles beat you senseless. :)

Unbison
November 27th, 2011, 02:41 AM
JMU talks tough bunch of cake eaters the world will see dec 3rd how cake eaters cry

LakesBison
November 27th, 2011, 02:42 AM
Jmu nice crest you all got youre soft *****es

lionsrking2
November 27th, 2011, 04:02 AM
SFA. Back to back SLC champions..retained our key role players except having a new QB..going 1-5 before the bye with the only win being against McMurry.

Thank God we salvaged a 6-5 season.

I would agree with this ... we caught SFA at the end of the year when they were playing well, and IMO thought they were the most talented team we played besides Southern Miss ... too bad they didn't play better against UNI and Texas State, or the SLC may have been able to sneak three teams in the playoffs.