PDA

View Full Version : Congratulations to Cal Poly and North Dakota! Goodbye South Dakota.

bojeta
November 21st, 2011, 06:06 PM
A little late, I know.

Definitely bummed that S. Dakota won't be joining us in the Big Sky next year. You were a great conference foe! What an exciting finish between the two Great West Dakota teams!! Not to take anything away from S. Dakota, I have to say I'm glad that, if we have to share the title, the other half will be joining us in the Big Sky!! Great job to all the FINAL GREAT WEST teams of 2011!

Cleets
November 21st, 2011, 06:21 PM
Hey there Bobafet nice AVATAR... (me likey)

sikolec
November 21st, 2011, 06:22 PM
Great way to end the Great West Football era and join the Big Sky for Cal Poly!

Ginsbach
November 21st, 2011, 06:32 PM
South Dakota is a much better fit geographically for the MVFC.

That being said, welcome to the Big Sky! Hopefully by the time the Aggies/Mustangs/Thunderbirds/*Nickname withheld for legal reasons* make it to Holt Arena the Bengals can put up a somewhat decent showing. I remember being at the games in Fargo against Cal Poly in 2006 and UC Davis/SUU in 2007 when I was working on my undergrad. Great teams, and I'm excited with what they'll bring to the conference.

Grizzlies82
November 21st, 2011, 06:35 PM
While I'm pleased to welcome both Cal Poly and North Dakota...

I think the new conference configuration will be very goofy! I'm not happy with the new "best friends forever" system they've created. I would rather see a North / South or a East / West configuration instead.

dakota
November 21st, 2011, 07:10 PM
doubt that the Sky will stay in the current configuration for long. hopefully add rather than lose a team. don't think the Vandals will return to FCS/Big Sky but really looking forward to the team with no name joining the best FCS conference!

Squealofthepig
November 21st, 2011, 07:15 PM

It's not as good as AG1's or the one Lafayette fan, but doesn't suck.

On this - although a bit disheartening to no longer play round robin in the Big Sky, I'm excited to have you guys coming to the Big Sky, especially Cal Poly, who've played the Griz almost every year for the last decade, including some incredibly close games (at least two games decided by two points or less).

LakesBison
November 21st, 2011, 07:17 PM
NDSU & SDSU say's "YOURE WELCOME" for allowing you to follow in our footsteps. congrats on nothing.

FarSouthBison
November 21st, 2011, 07:40 PM
At least N. Colo won't be alone at the bottom of the Conf., they can battle it out with the Sue for last.

GSU Eagle
November 21st, 2011, 07:41 PM
How many does the Big Sky have next year? 12? Will thre be 2 divisions?

Catbooster
November 21st, 2011, 08:39 PM
Yeah, welcome to the new guys.

How many does the Big Sky have next year? 12? Will thre be 2 divisions?

13 for football. Each team has 2 teams designated as "rivals" that they will play every year, and rotate through the rest.

Squealofthepig
November 21st, 2011, 10:14 PM
To follow-up on Catbooster's info, here are the teams and their designated rivals:

UC Davis: Sacramento State, Cal Poly

Cal Poly: UC Davis, Sacramento State

Eastern Washington: Portland State, Montana

Idaho State: Weber State, Portland State

Montana: Eastern Washington, Montana State

Montana State: Montana, North Dakota

North Dakota: Northern Colorado, Montana State

Northern Arizona: Southern Utah, Northern Colorado

Northern Colorado: North Dakota, Northern Arizona

Portland State: Eastern Washington, Idaho State

Sacramento State: UC Davis, Cal Poly

Southern Utah: Northern Arizona, Weber State

Weber State: Idaho State, Southern Utah

(C&P'd from http://voices.idahostatesman.com/2011/04/28/bmurphy/idaho_states_permanent_football_rivals_new_big_sky _will_be_portl)

darell1976
November 21st, 2011, 10:22 PM
South Dakota is a much better fit geographically for the MVFC.

That being said, welcome to the Big Sky! Hopefully by the time the Aggies/Mustangs/Thunderbirds/*Nickname withheld for legal reasons* make it to Holt Arena the Bengals can put up a somewhat decent showing. I remember being at the games in Fargo against Cal Poly in 2006 and UC Davis/SUU in 2007 when I was working on my undergrad. Great teams, and I'm excited with what they'll bring to the conference.

At least this time Idaho State cannot backout of any trips to Grand Forks like they did in 2009.

Ginsbach
November 21st, 2011, 11:39 PM
At least this time Idaho State cannot backout of any trips to Grand Forks like they did in 2009.

UND had the buyout for that game set at $25,000. ISU bought that out and played Oklahoma instead. It was a financial decision and for a program that's won 8 games in the past 5 years, generating funds can be difficult. That's why ISU has played two FBS teams in recent years (Washington State and BYU this year, Utah State and Georgia in 2010, Arizona State and Oklahoma in 2009, Boise State and Idaho in 2008, UNLV and Idaho in 2006) and in the years they only play 1 FBS team it's a pretty large payout (Oregon State in 2007 and Kentucky in 2005.)

401ks
November 22nd, 2011, 01:00 AM
xhypedx

Looking forward to following Cal Poly and the Big Sky next season. I'm moving to the Central Coast in December!

bojeta
November 22nd, 2011, 01:18 AM

I mixed my wife's image with an old pinup from the 40's. It's a common theme for me. A variation of this is tattooed on my arm, adorns my Harley etc. Each time the base is different. For this, naturally a Cal Poly helmet :)

bojeta
November 22nd, 2011, 01:21 AM
xhypedx

Looking forward to following Cal Poly and the Big Sky next season. I'm moving to the Central Coast in December!

Welcome again! 2012 will be interesting. Losing a lot of starters, but some promising younger players got significant play time. Hoping the recruiting class is strong again. We'll need them. Should be a blast! See you at the games!