PDA

View Full Version : Socon superlatives?

Reign of Terrier
November 21st, 2011, 11:44 AM
Have they been announced yet?

if not, who are your candidates?

I would say Eric Breitenstein deserves Offensive player of the year in a landslide. 9 out of 11 games he's rushed for 100 yards plus and I don't think there's a more consistent offensive player in the conference.

boonegoon
November 21st, 2011, 11:49 AM

I would say Eric Breitenstein deserves Offensive player of the year in a landslide. 9 out of 11 games he's rushed for 100 yards plus and I don't think there's a more consistent offensive player in the conference.

As a fellow Watauga High Alum, I'd like to see that for the kid. His mom was my teacher. He is a monster.

OL FU
November 21st, 2011, 11:50 AM

How many yards did he end up with and I wish he was graduating

PaladinNation
November 21st, 2011, 11:57 AM
I can't argue with Breitenstein. Helluva player. I would throw Forcier in the mix.
And just think of the battle for the rushing crown next year between Breitenstein and J Williams. Man, it would be fun to see them both in the same backfield, I think they would compliment each other.

I'm curious to see if McGrath makes an All SoCon team.

asumike83
November 21st, 2011, 12:01 PM
Offensive POY: Eric Breitenstein, Wofford
Defensive POY: Ryan Steed, Furman
Special Teams POY: Adrian Mora, GSU
Coach of the Year: Bruce Fowler, Furman
Freshman of the Year: Ronald Blair, ASU

Monken and Moore each did great jobs at GSU/ASU as well, but these are my picks.

eaglewraith
November 21st, 2011, 12:03 PM
I can't argue with Breitenstein. Helluva player. I would throw Forcier in the mix.
And just think of the battle for the rushing crown next year between Breitenstein and J Williams. Man, it would be fun to see them both in the same backfield, I think they would compliment each other.

I'm curious to see if McGrath makes an All SoCon team.

For next year: Dominique Swope

Remember the name.

Skjellyfetti
November 21st, 2011, 12:04 PM

This list looks good to me.

jpincince
November 21st, 2011, 12:06 PM
Aaron Mellette has to be in the conversation for SoCon Offensive POY: 11 games, 113 catches, 1,639 yards (SoCon record, I think), 14.5 yards per catch, 149 yards per game, 12 touchdowns. But of course I'm biased.

Reign of Terrier
November 21st, 2011, 12:07 PM
How many yards did he end up with and I wish he was graduating

1354. last year and this year were the first and third single season performances rushing wise of any Wofford in school history. He's about 280 from beating his own record and if we make a run, he very well could do that. He might just set the school record in rushing next year, I don't know how many yards he needs.

to compare against other team's offensive player's performances:
App State: offense was too inconsistent, they didn't give Quick the ball enough
GSU: Great offense, but no player had a better year than EB IMO
Chatty: offense was sputtery without Coleman
Furman: Forcier is a good candidate, but the only time he would throw the ball often is when they were down and that didn't end well for them when that was the case
Samford: No player in comparison
Citadel: No player in comparison
Western Carolina: No player in comparison
Elon: Wilson or Mellete would be good candidates...but Wilson turned the ball over too much. Did Mellete have a better year than Quick? I think so, but regardless the wide out position and FB/HB is an apples and oranges comparison

coach of the year should go to Monken

I don't know who should be defensive player of the year

asucrutch23
November 21st, 2011, 12:08 PM

xsmileyclapxxsmileyclapx

EDIT: Mellette has to at least be in the conversation, though

Reign of Terrier
November 21st, 2011, 12:09 PM

Hatcher and Moore each did great jobs at GSU/ASU as well, but these are my picks.

I'd give COTY to Monken. He really should have gotten it last year, and the offense really clicked this year, better than anyone expected

asumike83
November 21st, 2011, 12:13 PM
I'd give COTY to Monken. He really should have gotten it last year, and the offense really clicked this year, better than anyone expected

He is definitely in the conversation. I had a little brain fart and accidentally wrote Hatcher... wishful thinking?!

I have corrected my error before being murdered by angry GSU fans.

Reign of Terrier
November 21st, 2011, 12:17 PM
He is definitely in the conversation. I had a little brain fart and accidentally wrote Hatcher... wishful thinking?!

last year I don't think Moore deserved it as much as Monken, but if Moore won the socon this year in light of all what was lost, I think he'd deserve it this year

Skjellyfetti
November 21st, 2011, 12:27 PM
last year I don't think Moore deserved it as much as Monken, but if Moore won the socon this year in light of all what was lost, I think he'd deserve it this year

They almost always give it to the coach that wins the SoCon championship. Monken probably deserved it more last year and Fowler probably deserves it more this year... but, it's the way it goes.

PaladinFan
November 21st, 2011, 12:30 PM
I imagine Kaddaron Anderson gets the nod at DPOY. Steed had a great season, but his numbers aren't there (in large measure, because folks don't throw at him).

Anderson lead the conference for most of the season in tackling, and didn't play in the last game (I think). He averaged over 11 tackles per game.

Britenstein likely gets the nod, but I believe Foricer and Williams have strong cases. Britenstien rushed for more yards per game, but he also played in a rush only offense. He and Williams averaged about the same per carry. Touchdowns are more in Britenstiens favor as Furman likes to throw inside the redzone.

Can't find much fault with Forcier. 23 Tds against 8 picks. About as much as you can ask for from a QB. I imagine Forcier will get the nod at first team QB.

eaglewraith
November 21st, 2011, 12:36 PM

RABBLE RABBLE

cannonballgsu
November 21st, 2011, 12:37 PM
Britenstein is a stud. I'm surprised we were able to limit him like we did. If Swope had played all year like he has the past couple of games, he would be in the mix.

cannonballgsu
November 21st, 2011, 12:37 PM

It could have been worse...

ElonPride
November 21st, 2011, 12:42 PM

A landslide? You think?

Mellette...... The guy had 6 games of 140+ yards and 2 of over 235 yards! xeekx Add in to the mix at least a TD in every game but one and nine games of 100+ yards.

Oh and not to mention he's the nation's leading receiver xthumbsupx

GSU Eagle
November 21st, 2011, 12:53 PM
Brent Russell from GSU should get some consideration for DPOY. On offense it has to go to either Britenstein (spelling??) or Mallette.

SpeedkingATL
November 21st, 2011, 12:56 PM
A landslide? You think?

Mellette...... The guy had 6 games of 140+ yards and 2 of over 235 yards! xeekx Add in to the mix at least a TD in every game but one and nine games of 100+ yards.

Oh and not to mention he's the nation's leading receiver xthumbsupx

I would have to go with Mellette especially after seeing him up close and personal on Saturday. Kid is remarkable.

asumike83
November 21st, 2011, 01:32 PM
I would have to go with Mellette especially after seeing him up close and personal on Saturday. Kid is remarkable.

Mellette is special, no doubt about it. I left the game on Saturday extremely impressed. However, despite being an individual award, team W-L is always considered. I think Breitenstein takes it for that reason, with Mellette a relatively close 2nd.

pike51
November 21st, 2011, 02:19 PM
You are all crazy!

OPTY - BJ Coleman - Chattanooga
DPTY - Team - Chattanooga Team Defense(all of them are all stars baby!)
SPTPY - Nick Pollard - Chattanooga
COY - Russ Huesman - Chattanooga

Bonus vote:
Poster of the season - Chattownmocs

I mean c'mon, tell me I'm wrong. They would have won the SEC this season if they wanted to. Bonus points for being so nice and allowing other SoCon teams to have good seasons.

seantaylor
November 21st, 2011, 08:16 PM
DPOY should go to Brent Russell without question. Brittenstein OPOY. Monken COY. Mora Special teams and Swope Frosh of the year.

GSU EAGLES
November 21st, 2011, 08:23 PM
Coach of the Year: Bruce Fowler, FurmanFreshman of the Year: Ronald Blair, ASU

Monken and Moore each did great jobs at GSU/ASU as well, but these are my picks.

Furman was 5-6 last year and 6-5 this year. Not exactly a drastic turnaround. If anything they choked away the playoffs at the end.

FIDO-GATA
November 21st, 2011, 09:06 PM
Furman was 5-6 last year and 6-5 this year. Not exactly a drastic turnaround. If anything they choked away the playoffs at the end.

Indeed.

Apphole
November 21st, 2011, 09:48 PM
Chattownmocs-biggest douche xlolx

asumike83
November 21st, 2011, 10:44 PM

They did choke against Elon but I like what he is doing down there. I listed Fowler because they made strides throughout the year and had big wins against Wofford and ASU down the stretch. I know it was only a 1-game improvement but given that the SoCon was deeper this season than in years past, I think that is an accomplishment. Monken did a great job, as did Mike Ayers. Considering all the personnel changes, Jerry Moore did a nice job to get to 8-3 as well.

Kill'em
November 21st, 2011, 11:19 PM

Contrary to popular belief, not everyone hated Hatcher. Personally, I liked him. It was just a bad situation for him. VanGorder is another thing.

chattanoogamocs
November 21st, 2011, 11:43 PM
Chattownmocs-biggest douche xlolx

Said the Apphole. xdohx ;)

(though I would cast a vote for him as biggest blowhard)

chattanoogamocs
November 21st, 2011, 11:46 PM
BTW...

Coaches All-SoCon will be released today (Tuesday)
and Media will be on Wednesday

Eaglesrus
November 22nd, 2011, 05:56 AM
Contrary to popular belief, not everyone hated Hatcher. Personally, I liked him. It was just a bad situation for him. VanGorder is another thing.

Agreed!

The Eagle's Cliff
November 22nd, 2011, 06:59 AM
I agree with EB from Wofford for OPOTY.
Adrian Mora and Laron Scott of GSU are the only choices for STPOTY and what Jeff Monken has done at GSU is amazing.

Georgia Southern truly has a good TEAM with different players stepping up each week and no one player being THE MAN. Brent Russell is the best DT in FCS, but doesn't have the stats. Nevertheless, teams have to double team and plan around him which gives others opportunities to make plays and impacts the opponents offensive game plan. I do understand another stat hound getting the award, though.