PDA

View Full Version : What we learned from the committee today

GSU Eagle
November 20th, 2011, 01:28 PM
1. Just as I thought SHSU got the #1 seed. If a FCS team from I would say one of the top 6 conferences goes undefeated they will be a #1 seed. 11-0 will trump any analysis of strength of schedule or conference strength.

2. Seeds 1-4 are normally going to be the winners of 4 of the following 5 conferences (Big Sky, SoCon, CAA, MVC, and I guess Southland). CAA seems to be the 1 power conference shut out of the top 4 this year, but CAA did get 5 total teams in.

3. Every year the committee will put 1 team in the playoffs who no one thought would get in -- this year's winner Eastern Kentucky. Since EKU is hosting JMU in round 1 (another head scratcher) EKU must have put a bundle on the table for a round 1 game. A cynical person would say the NCAA took EKU because of their bid.

4. We are fast approaching the move to start inviting teams with 6 FCS wins. When the tourney expands to 24 (next year possibly) I think the 7 win FCS threshold will be breached.

DFW HOYA
November 20th, 2011, 01:36 PM
5. If you are not in the right conference, eight (or even nine) wins aren't helping you anyway.

NDB
November 20th, 2011, 01:40 PM
that should read - the committee considers strength of schedule and games against sub DI schools into consideration.

Squealofthepig
November 20th, 2011, 01:42 PM
Good post. I'd nuance number three a bit, and state that the committee each year decides how they want to get yelled at. Did they A) Leave out good teams from the power conferences or B) Leave non-power conference eligible teams at home? Recently, the committee has been choosing A, but (especially prior to the expansion) historically had chosen B a lot. You can't please everyone, and I guess they just pick their poison.

Interesting point on number four - I think this year we were very close to seeing a six win team invited, mainly thanks to a ton of upsets on the last day.

Mr. C
November 20th, 2011, 01:46 PM
The comments of committee chairman Jim O'Day indicated that we were not that close at all to a six-team getting in. I didn't sense from him that Delaware and other six-win teams got considered at all.

katstrapper
November 20th, 2011, 01:49 PM
One thing I have learned after the selections is that GSU fans whine more about their "strong schedule" and that "nobody else matchs up with us"..
xbawlingxxbawlingxxbawlingx

How many more threads are we going to see about the same crap!! Brackets are set. Time to play the games. If GSU is so damn good they will win it all!!

Last I checked...

SHSU 11-0
NDSU 10-1
GSU 9-2

Mr. C
November 20th, 2011, 01:50 PM
1. Just as I thought SHSU got the #1 seed. If a FCS team from I would say one of the top 6 conferences goes undefeated they will be a #1 seed. 11-0 will trump any analysis of strength of schedule or conference strength.

2. Seeds 1-4 are normally going to be the winners of 4 of the following 5 conferences (Big Sky, SoCon, CAA, MVC, and I guess Southland). CAA seems to be the 1 power conference shut out of the top 4 this year, but CAA did get 5 total teams in.

3. Every year the committee will put 1 team in the playoffs who no one thought would get in -- this year's winner Eastern Kentucky. Since EKU is hosting JMU in round 1 (another head scratcher) EKU must have put a bundle on the table for a round 1 game. A cynical person would say the NCAA took EKU because of their bid.

4. We are fast approaching the move to start inviting teams with 6 FCS wins. When the tourney expands to 24 (next year possibly) I think the 7 win FCS threshold will be breached.

Undefeated teams are hard for the committee to ignore, unless you are talking about the PFL (remember all of the San Diego arguments). Tennessee State was the No. 1 seed as an undefeated team from the OVC in 1998 and promptly lost to No. 16 seed North Carolina A&T in the first round. It would have been interesting to see what the committee would have done with an 11-0 Lehigh team, if the Mountain Hawks had beaten New Hampshire in that controversial overtime game. Lehigh was ranked ahead of Sam Houston for quite awhile this season.

Bearwitness
November 20th, 2011, 01:52 PM
A cynical person would say the NCAA took EKU because of their bid.

A cynical person would say the NCAA took EKU because their AD was on the selection committee, not because of the size of their bid.

Mr. C
November 20th, 2011, 01:52 PM
One thing I have learned after the selections is that GSU fans whine more about their "strong schedule" and that "nobody else matchs up with us"..

How many more threads are we going to see about the same crap!! Brackets are set. Time to play the games. If GSU is so damn good they will win it all!!

Last I checked...

SHSU 11-0
NDSU 10-1
GSU 9-2

So you think that Sam Houston State would have given Alabama a game? The Eagles were pretty impressive on Saturday. Of course, SHSU did beat New Mexico.

GSU Eagle
November 20th, 2011, 01:53 PM
Did not realize EKU had a rep on the committee. That helps explain alot.

Mr. C
November 20th, 2011, 01:53 PM
A cynical person would say the NCAA took EKU because their AD was on the selection committee, not because of the size of their bid.

For those of you who do not understand, the bids are NOT opened until after the seeds are set and the other teams are paired. An AD has to leave the room when his team is discussed as well.

GSU Eagle
November 20th, 2011, 01:55 PM
Don't you think the committee has a good idea of what school bid what even if the bids are not opened before the seeds are set, particularly if a rep. of one of the schools under consideration is on the committee.

Wildcat80
November 20th, 2011, 01:57 PM
For those of you who do not understand, the bids are NOT opened until after the seeds are set and the other teams are paired. An AD has to leave the room when his team is discussed as well.

Leave the room??? BFD. His returning is still peer-pressure to give his team a spot.

Professor Chaos
November 20th, 2011, 01:58 PM
I think most people would've thought that JMU wou'dve outbid EKU. I'm surprised to see EKU hosting. If they made that impressive of a bid and all the committee was using money as a primary factor I think they would've paired them against a worse drawing team like UCA rather than JMU.

Bearwitness
November 20th, 2011, 02:12 PM
I do understand and don't count myself among the cynics, but I just couldn't let that comment pass without a response.

Laserlips
November 20th, 2011, 02:21 PM
[QUOTE=katstrapper Time to play the games. If GSU is so damn good they will win it all!![/QUOTE]

kat: You nailed it my Friend.. (lol) xnodx

Jesse

Bearwitness
November 20th, 2011, 02:25 PM
Whether or not they look at the bids beforehand, I think potential money comes into play in the matchups. I think the only thing that kept Maine out of the first round was their location and what it would cost to send a team up to Orono. Norfolk State at ODU is a winner in terms of both travel cost and potential attendance revenues. But based on their records, it probably should have been Maine playing this Saturday, instead.

Green26
November 20th, 2011, 02:26 PM
The comments of committee chairman Jim O'Day indicated that we were not that close at all to a six-team getting in. I didn't sense from him that Delaware and other six-win teams got considered at all.

I don't know if Del. was considered, but O'Day did say in his interview that 7 wins was not a requirement, just an important factor. I also talked to him several days ago, and he indicated that a 6 win team may have a chance this year, depending on what happened in key games yesterday.

nmatsen
November 20th, 2011, 02:28 PM

Last I checked...

SHSU 11-0
NDSU 10-1
GSU 9-2

Technically GSU is 8-2 (should have been technically in the eyes of the committee for having only 8 DI wins)
Montana is 8-2 (should have been technically in the eyes of the committee for only have 8 DI wins)
Northern Iowa is 9-2 with a one touchdown loss to the 2 seed on the road, and a 1 point loss to a BCS school on its way to a Bowl, who beat the #2 team in the country Friday.

Northern Iowa got hosed, the entire Valley got hosed. 2 teams, seriously?

Mr. C
November 20th, 2011, 03:05 PM
I don't know if Del. was considered, but O'Day did say in his interview that 7 wins was not a requirement, just an important factor. I also talked to him several days ago, and he indicated that a 6 win team may have a chance this year, depending on what happened in key games yesterday.
You and I both know that Jim can be a politician. That's how I read his comments.

wmmii
November 20th, 2011, 03:07 PM

VERY interesting..........thanks for the insight

Grizzlies82
November 20th, 2011, 03:46 PM
Technically GSU is 8-2 (should have been technically in the eyes of the committee for having only 8 DI wins)
Montana is 8-2 (should have been technically in the eyes of the committee for only have 8 DI wins)
Northern Iowa is 9-2 with a one touchdown loss to the 2 seed on the road, and a 1 point loss to a BCS school on its way to a Bowl, who beat the #2 team in the country Friday.

I understand your disappointment, but maybe the rest of the country doesn't hold as high of an opinion of the MVFC as its members seem to. Go beat Wofford, win the quarterfinal and semifinal and prove the nation wrong.

putter
November 20th, 2011, 03:54 PM
You and I both know that Jim can be a politician. That's how I read his comments.

Every person on the committee is a politician. O'Day is no different than any other chairman, however, if he was so good he should have gotten Montana in the playoffs last year..LOL
As far as conferences..the FCS is the same as the committee for March Madness. Mid Major's and lower get 1 and the top conferences get 5-8 because of who they play. I hate the basketball selection because of that and it is one of the things I dislike about the FCS choices.

Sam_Kats
November 20th, 2011, 03:56 PM
You know, for such a proud program with however many Nat'l titles, the GSU fans sure are a bunch of vaginas when things do not go the way they think they should. 11-0 is hard to ignore. That's including an FBS win, a 31-10 win over #11 UCA, and no one (10 FCS opponents) coming within 2 scores of us.

Hey, I'm not saying GSU can't beat Sam or vice-versa but thank goodness we have a platform that will settle it in matter of weeks. Good luck to all 20 teams involved. I hope whoever ends up coming to Texas will enjoy the fans, weather & atmosphere at Bowers.

Grizzlies82
November 20th, 2011, 04:00 PM
From years of watching the playoff selection I've observed the following;

1. Undefeated season will be rewarded. xnodx

2. FBS wins are worth two FCS wins, or close FBS loss. :)

3. Conference matters (10-1 NDSU not seen equal to 10-1 Lehigh). :o

4. Timing really matters. Late season loss hurts more than early one. xsalutex

5. Final bubble team from "off" conference has edge over bubble school from conference already with multiple teams. It is "Sharing the wealth". xcrazyx

Alway has been disputes over the brackets, always will be. The good thing is the FCS playoff games sort out the contenders from the pretenders. Congratulations to all who made it, better luck next year to those who didn't. Now get ready to fear the Griz!

UIWWildthing
November 20th, 2011, 04:10 PM
It's what you have done years before that matters if you get seeded or not, not what you did this season

Griz4ever
November 20th, 2011, 04:11 PM

Well if you beat Wofford then you can prove yourself in Missoula against the Griz and our technically 8 D1 wins and our 25,000 fans hope to see you there..(not overlooking Central Ark. or Tenn Tech but it will be single digit weather and snow by Dec 3rd..)

nmatsen
November 20th, 2011, 04:13 PM
What we have learned about the selection group: Money matters, put the buts in the seats, and you will be rewarded. Look no further than the 3 and 4 seeds being 9-2 with similar to inferior resumes to other 9-2 schools, who got the 3 and 4 to promise the NCAA two home games? Oh, the teams that pull in 18K and 22K respectively...

Oh, and the facts I showed you above were just that, facts. They had nothing to do with my "opinion" of the MVC. I love how Griz fans make it sound so easy to go on the road and win in the playoffs, they should try it sometime:)

The Eagle's Cliff
November 20th, 2011, 04:15 PM

Last I checked...

SHSU 11-0
NDSU 10-1
GSU 9-2

That's more than one post by you talking about this, but I don't think anyone from Ga Southern has begrudged SHSU their #1 seed. My issue is with NDSU's #2 over us. Where's your dog in that fight? You'd better worry about playing Montana St or UNH, because both will be the toughest team you've faced this year.

MTfan4life
November 20th, 2011, 04:19 PM
What we have learned about the selection group: Money matters, put the buts in the seats, and you will be rewarded. Look no further than the 3 and 4 seeds being 9-2 with similar to inferior resumes to other 9-2 schools, who got the 3 and 4 to promise the NCAA two home games? Oh, the teams that pull in 18K and 22K respectively...

Oh, and the facts I showed you above were just that, facts. They had nothing to do with my "opinion" of the MVC. I love how Griz fans make it sound so easy to go on the road and win in the playoffs, they should try it sometime:)

James Madison, #1 seed 2008.

P.S. The triple option was really fast in cold Montana playoff weather. I can't imagine the speed it will bring indoors.

Milktruck74
November 20th, 2011, 04:26 PM
It's a good thing SHS gets a first round bye...that way they will at least make it to the second round.

Yesterday, I flipped the switch...I'm ALL SoCon till Jan 8th. GO Eag-Ter-ineers!!!! Go Black and Blue and Gold!!!!

Grizalltheway
November 20th, 2011, 04:34 PM

Maybe UNI should try winning at home in the playoffs. xlolx

MTfan4life
November 20th, 2011, 04:44 PM
Maybe UNI should try winning at home in the playoffs. xlolx

This ^^^^

Eagle22
November 20th, 2011, 04:54 PM
You know, for such a proud program with however many Nat'l titles, the GSU fans sure are a bunch of vaginas when things do not go the way they think they should. 11-0 is hard to ignore. That's including an FBS win, a 31-10 win over #11 UCA, and no one (10 FCS opponents) coming within 2 scores of us.

Hey, I'm not saying GSU can't beat Sam or vice-versa but thank goodness we have a platform that will settle it in matter of weeks. Good luck to all 20 teams involved. I hope whoever ends up coming to Texas will enjoy the fans, weather & atmosphere at Bowers.

We'll see if SHSU has the chops to put up a 15-0 record like GSU and Marshall have done.

What are the odds ? Thirty-three years of playoffs, it's happened twice.

Montana went 15-1 in 2001, so that might be an * on the record, since they had an extra game allowed vs. Hawaii.

I do agree that I'm glad it is settled on the field.

Grizzlies82
November 20th, 2011, 05:06 PM

Stop whinning and go beat Wofford. That would be a good start. Your "opinion" was the MVC deserved five playoff teams. It seems much of the nation doesn't see the conference the same. That is also a "fact". Time to prove everyone wrong.

I watched Wofford beat the Grizzlies a few years ago. They will be a tough test for your Panthers. Since we don't see that kind of option team out west it is a difficult adjustment for a defense to make. Good luck. Go win. Then show what you can do in Missoula (if the Griz take care of business too). Wins matter, not close loses to someone who beat someone else, who might be better than the team someone else may have played...... Just go win and it all works out.

blueballs
November 20th, 2011, 05:08 PM
We'll see if SHSU has the chops to put up a 15-0 record like GSU and Marshall have done.

Montana went 15-1 in 2001, so that might be an * on the record, since they had an extra game allowed vs. Hawaii.

I can assure you that this year's SHSU team ain't in the same stratosphere as the 1989 GSU team or the 1996 Marshall group, but at the same time I don't see any juggarnaut in the field.

DSPSelym
November 20th, 2011, 05:11 PM
Not to sound like a homer, but I don't see too much of a reason why we can't have two SOCON teams in the finals. Odds are certainly in favor of a CAA v SOCON final though.

frozennorth
November 20th, 2011, 05:20 PM
That's more than one post by you talking about this, but I don't think anyone from Ga Southern has begrudged SHSU their #1 seed. My issue is with NDSU's #2 over us. Where's your dog in that fight? You'd better worry about playing Montana St or UNH, because both will be the toughest team you've faced this year.

Ndsu has two more wins then you and two more signature wins. You should be glad you got seeded, towson deserved it more more, even with their ugly loss to maryland.

caribbeanhen
November 20th, 2011, 05:29 PM

next time you speak to him can you ask him if Delaware had dropped West Chester and won over lets say a Valpariaso and finished with a legit 7 Div 1 wins.... do they pick Delaware for the 6th CAA team of do they exclude both JMU and Delaware and pick up EKU and another shocker team?

Silenoz
November 20th, 2011, 05:32 PM
Not to sound like a homer, but I don't see too much of a reason why we can't have two SOCON teams in the finals. Odds are certainly in favor of a CAA v SOCON final though.

@UNI, @Montana, @somewhere else

(most likely)

I also don't see how UNH or Wofford is the favorite to escape the region

danefan
November 20th, 2011, 05:37 PM
next time you speak to him can you ask him if Delaware had dropped West Chester and won over lets say a Valpariaso and finished with a legit 7 Div 1 wins.... do they pick Delaware for the 6th CAA team of do they exclude both JMU and Delaware and pick up EKU and another shocker team?

If Delaware had beaten Valpo instead of West Vhester, I can guarantee they'd be in.

DSPSelym
November 20th, 2011, 05:37 PM
Ndsu has two more wins then you and two more signature wins. You should be glad you got seeded, towson deserved it more more, even with their ugly loss to maryland.
Can you elaborate on that please?

caribbeanhen
November 20th, 2011, 06:03 PM
If Delaware had beaten Valpo instead of West Vhester, I can guarantee they'd be in.

so your saying they would have taken 6 CAA teams?

caribbeanhen
November 20th, 2011, 06:04 PM
they also put 4 CAA teams on the same side of the bracketxsmhxxsmhx

Squealofthepig
November 20th, 2011, 06:26 PM
so your saying they would have taken 6 CAA teams?

With wins over playoff bound ODU and AT Towson, they'd have as many or more wins over other playoff caliber teams than anyone else (outside of the CAA). The inclusion of EKU over ISUr though makes me also question what the committee would have done, especially since two of their wins would have been over Valpo and Delaware State.

caribbeanhen
November 20th, 2011, 07:04 PM
With wins over playoff bound ODU and AT Towson, they'd have as many or more wins over other playoff caliber teams than anyone else (outside of the CAA). The inclusion of EKU over ISUr though makes me also question what the committee would have done, especially since two of their wins would have been over Valpo and Delaware State.

I think they would have asked the EKU selection member to really leave the room for 10 minutes

ngineer
November 20th, 2011, 07:37 PM
I understand your disappointment, but maybe the rest of the country doesn't hold as high of an opinion of the MVFC as its members seem to. Go beat Wofford, win the quarterfinal and semifinal and prove the nation wrong.

Certainly, losing to lowly Lehigh last year, at home, did not help. (;-)

ASU_MBA
November 20th, 2011, 07:47 PM

NDSU should be #2 over you guys. They beat a FBS team and have 1 loss compared to you guys with 2 losses and only 8 FCS wins.

frozennorth
November 20th, 2011, 07:51 PM
Can you elaborate on that please?

You beat noone of note.

Ndsu beat top 5 uni and beat up an fbs team.

Towson beat multiple ranked teams, and only have one ugly loss to maryland.

Gsu can only point to a win over a bubble team and making alabama keep its starters in until the fourth.

Fear the Bird
November 20th, 2011, 07:57 PM
I think the committee saw that NDSU's loss AT HOME to YSU was legit based on YSU performance yesterday...oh wait

GSU should have been 2 and Towson not being ranked was an absolute joke

How can you say ISUr was not good enough for losing in OT to UNI but then turn around and reward UNI?

You want to talk 6 D1 wins is a lock for no? Count TTU D1 wins and get back to me...oh whats that you say? They won an auto bid im stupid? Then why the hell did you reward the confernce that had a 6'D1 win team win the confernce with a ridiculous at-large

Fear the Bird
November 20th, 2011, 07:57 PM
You beat noone of note.

Gsu can only point to a win over a bubble team and making alabama keep its starters in until the fourth.

Ugly loss? Its a friggin ACC team not some Sunbelt or WAC

ekufbfan
November 20th, 2011, 08:03 PM
With today's inclusion, EKU has no been in the playoffs 20 times. We have been in situations where we thought we got the short end of the stick. That's the way it goes. I really do not understand all this crap you guys are spewing out, no conference deserves 5-6 teams in the playoffs. We use your reasoning then no mid majors get in the basketball NCAA's and all the "major" conferences take up all the spots, thus no runs like Butler. EKU is in. We have been there before...remember 20 times! Get over it and move on.

GannonFan
November 20th, 2011, 08:06 PM
We learned that the committee apparently does not realize that the OVC has been "SWAC-like" in the playoffs over the past 15 years. Pretty much picked 19 teams since JMU is getting a bye (although they have to travel to get it).

Redbird Ray
November 20th, 2011, 08:24 PM
That the committee doesn't think too highly of Jeff Sagarin's FCS conference ratings, or doesn't even know of their existence.

Oh, and that Illinois State didn't pay enough to get into the playoffs. And that us not having an AD on the committee really screwed us over.

ekufbfan
November 20th, 2011, 08:31 PM
We learned that the committee apparently does not realize that the OVC has been "SWAC-like" in the playoffs over the past 15 years. Pretty much picked 19 teams since JMU is getting a bye (although they have to travel to get it).

"Bye"? We will see. Sour grapes from a Delaware fan, never thought too much of your attitudes (aka/arrogance) years ago. And seems like we won our first National Championship by whipping your azzzzz.

Mr. C
November 20th, 2011, 08:56 PM

Towson actually played quite well against Maryland, despite missing starting quarterback Grant Enders with an injury for that game. Maryland led 7-3 at the half and Towson out-gained the Terps 225-111 in the first half. A key turnover in the second half turned things around for Maryland. The Tigers felt like they missed out on a legitimate chance to win this game.

WMTribe90
November 20th, 2011, 09:07 PM
Towson out gained UMD for the game. Towson deserved to be seeded. I'm guessing they were a victim of their own history of some sort of compensation for the CAA getting five teams in the field. Neither is a legit reason for Towson not to be seeded. Any CAA team that has won the league in recent years with a 9-2 record, including an FBS loss, has been seeded.

katstrapper
November 20th, 2011, 09:36 PM

Two more wins and SHSU will have won 15 in a row. (currently on a 13 game win streak). ;-)

Unfortunately you will miss coming to Huntsville to find out.

Grizzlies82
November 20th, 2011, 09:48 PM
Towson deserved to be seeded. I'm guessing they were a victim of their own history, or some sort of compensation for the CAA getting five teams in the field. Neither is a legit reason for Towson not to be seeded.

It is not fair but I believe you've hit it....
1. Towson is the new kid with virtually no history.
2. CAA gets five teams, but in turn none are seeded.

Mr. C
November 20th, 2011, 10:04 PM
It is not fair but I believe you've hit it....
1. Towson is the new kid with virtually no history.
2. CAA gets five teams, but in turn none are seeded.
I think you hit on something. Also, UNI gets a seed, but the MVFC in turn gets only two teams in the field, instead of three. And the OVC gets two of its three co-champs in the field, just like the MEAC did last year. Can you say the grand art of compromise?

kardplayer
November 20th, 2011, 10:11 PM
Or, perhaps the committee was looking at the AGS poll - where Towson is ranked 6, and all seeds were in the top 5 :)

Blue Eagle
November 20th, 2011, 10:13 PM

"Technically" speaking Ga. Southern should be 8 & 1 according to Chairman O'Day. Losses to FBS teams are not counted against a team.

Ga. Southern's one loss came against ASU (a top 10 team all season) by 7 points at ASU.

The difference in the game was a TD scored on a third down pass play in the fourth quarter that even the ASU announcers said was a miss call!!

Ga. Southern's Playoff Record - 41 & 11

The Eagles have played in 8 National Championship Games winning 6 since 1985

eaglewraith
November 20th, 2011, 10:42 PM
Two more wins and SHSU will have won 15 in a row. (currently on a 13 game win streak). ;-)

Unfortunately you will miss coming to Huntsville to find out.

15 in a row =/= 15-0

UNIFanSince1983
November 20th, 2011, 10:48 PM
"Technically" speaking Ga. Southern should be 8 & 1 according to Chairman O'Day. Losses to FBS teams are not counted against a team.

Ga. Southern's one loss came against ASU (a top 10 team all season) by 7 points at ASU.

The difference in the game was a TD scored on a third down pass play in the fourth quarter that even the ASU announcers said was a miss call!!

Ga. Southern's Playoff Record - 41 & 11

The Eagles have played in 8 National Championship Games winning 6 since 1985

I do not agree that we deserve to be seeded any higher. However, if you aren't counting FBS losses we are 9-1 in the committees eyes then. With the only loss being to the #2 seed by 8 points on their field.

We could argue this all we want, but the truth is it won't change. In order to win it all you gotta play good teams anyways.

NDB
November 20th, 2011, 10:49 PM
(thank you for letting us into the MVFC, UNI & Co.)

Ronbo
November 20th, 2011, 11:15 PM
Two reasons Montana got seeded.

1. They thumped the #1 team 36-10 on the road the day before the selections. That is perfect timing.

2. They ran the table on their last 7 games to end the season. Hot teams get extra attention.

A close win at MSU and a late season loss and Montana would be a first round host but not a seed.

The stars have lined up nicely the second half of the season and the team is peaking. This feels like one of those years we were seeded 3rd or 4th and the top seed gets knocked out and we got 3 home games. Watch out SHSU, the Griz want that semi game.xnodx

Bearkat 41
November 21st, 2011, 12:14 AM
Im happy Sam got the 1 seed. I didn't want to chance having to go up North to play anybody. OUr playoffs experiences against the Grizz were enough for me to know I'd rather play in Texas. The 2004 team that lost in the Semis to Montana had absoloutely blasted the Grizz earlier in the year in Huntsville but couldn't duplicate it in the playoffs.
Best of luck to all 20 schools in the bracket.

Squealofthepig
November 21st, 2011, 03:56 AM
Im happy Sam got the 1 seed. I didn't want to chance having to go up North to play anybody. OUr playoffs experiences against the Grizz were enough for me to know I'd rather play in Texas. The 2004 team that lost in the Semis to Montana had absoloutely blasted the Grizz earlier in the year in Huntsville but couldn't duplicate it in the playoffs.
Best of luck to all 20 schools in the bracket.

I think the Bearkats may have the opposite of the dreaded cold advantage if you guys win in the first round and then play the UNH/Montana State game, as either the Wildcats or the Bobcats will be absolutely stunned by nice Texas winter temps. :) (Single digit temperatures I don't think would phase either team; 80 degree temps would be something else entirely!)

GaSouthern
November 21st, 2011, 06:32 AM

Last I checked...

SHSU 11-0
NDSU 10-1
GSU 9-2

Please overlook the couple of complainers in our fan base and try not to judge us based on them.

We all know Chattownmocs is not a good example of chattanooga fans

Cocky
November 21st, 2011, 06:58 AM
Everybody downs the OVC but campaigns for a team who couldnt beat one of the OVCs botton feeders.

ysubigred
November 21st, 2011, 07:17 AM

xhypedx Hey don't forget old Y-town's 14-0-1 in 1994 xhandshakex

EKUSteve
November 21st, 2011, 07:21 AM
"Bye"? We will see. Sour grapes from a Delaware fan, never thought too much of your attitudes (aka/arrogance) years ago. And seems like we won our first National Championship by whipping your azzzzz.

We whipped them in 82 for the title. We beat them in 81 in the semis.
We beat Nevada and Lehigh for the first title.

WileECoyote06
November 21st, 2011, 07:27 AM
Everybody downs the OVC but campaigns for a team who couldnt beat one of the OVCs botton feeders.

Not me, Mr. C's logic makes sense. Nobody got woofed/hosed this year. Well except maybe Duquesne.

EKUSteve
November 21st, 2011, 07:37 AM

Plus JMUs AD was on the committee as well per the SportsNetwork article.

danefan
November 21st, 2011, 07:41 AM
I don't think anyone has any basis to say that EKU got in because of their bid.

That's just conjecture.

They obviously had a larger minimum bid though and for that JMU's AD should be questioned.

Lastly, I still do not think this should have been the ESPNU game. A more than half-empty stadium is going to look terrible, especially considering there will be a very packed stadium in Virginia the same day.

andy7171
November 21st, 2011, 07:53 AM
You beat noone of note.

You keep saying an ugly loss to Maryland. Are you just looking at the final score? We dropped two TD passes in the first half. That would have made the scrore at half 17-7 Towson. Regardless, the score was still only 14-3 with less than 7 minutes left in the game. A loss, yes. Ugly? No really. We dominated Maryland in every catagory but points...with our second string QB.

tribefan40
November 21st, 2011, 07:58 AM
You keep saying an ugly loss to Maryland. Are you just looking at the final score? We dropped two TD passes in the first half. That would have made the scrore at half 17-7 Towson. Regardless, the score was still only 14-3 with less than 7 minutes left in the game. A loss, yes. Ugly? No really. We dominated Maryland in every catagory but points...with our second string QB.

+1. I'll be a big Towson fan for the next couple months. I think they and ODU are going to make a lot more noise than most people think...

Bam
November 21st, 2011, 08:09 AM
I don't think anyone has any basis to say that EKU got in because of their bid.

That's just conjecture.

They obviously had a larger minimum bid though and for that JMU's AD should be questioned.

Lastly, I still do not think this should have been the ESPNU game. A more than half-empty stadium is going to look terrible, especially considering there will be a very packed stadium in Virginia the same day.

It may be half empty, but this loud mouth in black will be heard by the nation! Maroon Doom lives again!

DetroitFlyer
November 21st, 2011, 08:22 AM
Yep, I'm thrilled that the NCAA chose to take the second place team from a conference that has not won a playoff game in many years over a PFL team. Since both PFL champions, (Drake and San Diego), finished at 9-2, I'm certain neither one got a look. It is completely unreasonable for a PFL team to have to go undefeated to obtain a bid. I cannot wait until we gain an autobid so this injustice of 19 years can be righted.

Bam
November 21st, 2011, 08:34 AM
Like my dear departed father always said--"Patience is a virtue"

GannonFan
November 21st, 2011, 09:13 AM
Yep, I'm thrilled that the NCAA chose to take the second place team from a conference that has not won a playoff game in many years over a PFL team. Since both PFL champions, (Drake and San Diego), finished at 9-2, I'm certain neither one got a look. It is completely unreasonable for a PFL team to have to go undefeated to obtain a bid. I cannot wait until we gain an autobid so this injustice of 19 years can be righted.

Just keep applying for the auto bid and get it over with. The PFL should've been knocking at the door for an AQ for longer than they have, that way we could've had them get it when the NEC and Big South did. Just keep shouting and you'll get it when we go to 24 teams. Easy enough.

GannonFan
November 21st, 2011, 09:20 AM

See, that's funny. Smack from an EKU fan, a program that hasn't been relevant since the start of the 1990's. Yeah, you had a great run in the 80's, but you're like the Duran Duran of the FCS world - you haven't done anything since.

joecooll6
November 21st, 2011, 09:28 AM
Just keep applying for the auto bid and get it over with. The PFL should've been knocking at the door for an AQ for longer than they have, that way we could've had them get it when the NEC and Big South did. Just keep shouting and you'll get it when we go to 24 teams. Easy enough.

Well it will be 23 teams and a bye for the team that plays the glorified D3 team.

AppAlum2003
November 21st, 2011, 09:49 AM
Well if you beat Wofford then you can prove yourself in Missoula against the Griz and our technically 8 D1 wins and our 25,000 fans hope to see you there..(not overlooking Central Ark. or Tenn Tech but it will be single digit weather and snow by Dec 3rd..)

And be careful everyone... it's loud and cold there!

GannonFan
November 21st, 2011, 09:51 AM
Well it will be 23 teams and a bye for the team that plays the glorified D3 team.

I didn't say it would add to the competitiveness of the playoffs. Heck, with the MEAC and OVC and others failing to win games over long periods of time anyway there's certainly some lack of competitiveness in the early rounds. But things tend to sort themselves out by the final 8. I'm a fan of letting the champ from any eligible conference get in - just don't get crazy handing out at larges to those conferences.

Jazzman1522
November 21st, 2011, 09:58 AM
See, that's funny. Smack from an EKU fan, a program that hasn't been relevant since the start of the 1990's. Yeah, you had a great run in the 80's, but you're like the Duran Duran of the FCS world - you haven't done anything since.

For the record, yeah it's been awhile since we've won a playoff game, but we could school pretty much everyone on how to get there (Except Montana, of course). It's true that Delaware has been a lot more successful recently than Eastern. It's also true that they'll be sitting at home on Saturday while the Colonels are playing football.

And I happen to like Duran Duran.

GannonFan
November 21st, 2011, 10:09 AM
For the record, yeah it's been awhile since we've won a playoff game, but we could school pretty much everyone on how to get there (Except Montana, of course). It's true that Delaware has been a lot more successful recently than Eastern. It's also true that they'll be sitting at home on Saturday while the Colonels are playing football.

And I happen to like Duran Duran.

I liked Duran Duran too - they just aren't going to win any Grammy awards anytime soon.

EKU hasn't won a playoff game since 1994, and haven't been nationally competitive since then (and haven't been within 17 points of a playoff win since then either). You've been in the playoffs 5 times now since 1994, so while those first 15 years were great, apparently EKU has forgotten how to get to the playoffs (never mind win once you get there) since. Congrats on 20 playoff appearances. The 1980's were a great time.

Jazzman1522
November 21st, 2011, 10:39 AM
I liked Duran Duran too - they just aren't going to win any Grammy awards anytime soon.

EKU hasn't won a playoff game since 1994, and haven't been nationally competitive since then (and haven't been within 17 points of a playoff win since then either). You've been in the playoffs 5 times now since 1994, so while those first 15 years were great, apparently EKU has forgotten how to get to the playoffs (never mind win once you get there) since. Congrats on 20 playoff appearances. The 1980's were a great time.

Yeah, well...so?

In all seriousness, I can't argue with the facts. Eastern hasn't exactly done well nationally in awhile. Frankly, I'm just glad we're not playing Richmond again. Having them kick our butts in the playoffs two years in a row got old. Whatever the case, I'm glad they're in and have the same chance as everyone else now. Win or go home. That's why I love FCS football.

Cocky
November 21st, 2011, 11:10 AM
Are the playoff games played with this years teams or the ones from the past? If it teams from the past will be the last 1,5,10,20 years or how long can the teams go back to get players?

Cleets
November 21st, 2011, 11:13 AM
Are the playoff games played with this years teams or the ones from the past? If it teams from the past will be the last 1,5,10,20 years or how long can the teams go back to get players?

(Post of the week nomination...)

AppAlum2003
November 21st, 2011, 11:34 AM

Only if we don't enact the Zombie Clause. We don't need helmets being pried off in an attempt to score a quick meal.

seantaylor
November 21st, 2011, 08:11 PM

I've never understood this logic. How is that any different than a QB throwing a bad pass? A running back missing a block? A linebacker getting run over? It is part of the game and you didn't execute. Game should have been the score it was.

NTN GRIZ
November 22nd, 2011, 12:19 PM
Interesting story from the Billings Gazette. More info from O'Day:

A 36-10 loss to rival Montana on Saturday kept the Bobcats from earning a top seed to the upcoming Football Championship Subdivision playoffs.

MSU came into their annual "Brawl" with the Grizzlies ranked No. 1 in both the Sports Network and FCS coaches polls. The Cats were in search of their first outright Big Sky Conference title since their national championship season of 1984.

But the Griz held the upper handfor the full 60 minutes and forced a split league title, wich also earned them the Big Sky's automatic bid to the postseason. Both teams earned first-round byes.

Montana athletic director Jim O'Day chaired the NCAA Division I playoff selection committee, which laid out the bracket Saturday night in Indianapolis. O'Day told me a few interesting tidbits, one that included the real potential of the Bobcats being sent on the road in the second round.

Due to the NCAA's strict criteria regarding geographic proximity, the committee initially had the unseeded Bobcats playing at No. 5 seed Northern Iowa in the second round, but changed its mind in the end.

Here's what O'Day told me earlier this afternoon:

"Ideally, you're trying to put this thing together based on geography. And what was the (playoff team) closest to Bozeman? Northern Iowa.

"But logically many of us felt that it was really not fair. We felt Montana State was deserving of the opportunity to host a home game. To go from a potential No. 1 seed to playing on the road just didn't look right.

"I commend the members of the committee for acknowledging that piece of it and making the right decision."

Instead, the committee placed unseeded Wofford in a second-round matchup at Northern Iowa, while the Bobcats were slotted to hostNew Hampshire in Round 2 at Bobcat Stadium in Bozeman.

And that's a good call, because Wofford (in Spartanburg, S.C.) is actually closer to Northern Iowa (in Cedar Falls, Iowa) by air than Bozeman is, anyway.

O'Day also said that the Bobcats wouldn't have been guaranteed the No. 1 seed even if they had beaten Montana, but they certainly were in the Top 3. Sam Houston State was pretty much locked in to the No. 1 spot, O'Day said, because the Bearkats had 11 Division I victories, which is more than any team in the FCS.

Read more: http://billingsgazette.com/sports/college/blogs/catgrizinsider/bobcats-stay-home-by-a-hair/article_340e1018-14bc-11e1-8c8e-001cc4c002e0.html#ixzz1eSYLNAAB

Mr. C
November 22nd, 2011, 01:08 PM

A 36-10 loss to rival Montana on Saturday kept the Bobcats from earning a top seed to the upcoming Football Championship Subdivision playoffs.

MSU came into their annual "Brawl" with the Grizzlies ranked No. 1 in both the Sports Network and FCS coaches polls. The Cats were in search of their first outright Big Sky Conference title since their national championship season of 1984.

But the Griz held the upper handfor the full 60 minutes and forced a split league title, wich also earned them the Big Sky's automatic bid to the postseason. Both teams earned first-round byes.

Montana athletic director Jim O'Day chaired the NCAA Division I playoff selection committee, which laid out the bracket Saturday night in Indianapolis. O'Day told me a few interesting tidbits, one that included the real potential of the Bobcats being sent on the road in the second round.

Due to the NCAA's strict criteria regarding geographic proximity, the committee initially had the unseeded Bobcats playing at No. 5 seed Northern Iowa in the second round, but changed its mind in the end.

Here's what O'Day told me earlier this afternoon:

"Ideally, you're trying to put this thing together based on geography. And what was the (playoff team) closest to Bozeman? Northern Iowa.

"But logically many of us felt that it was really not fair. We felt Montana State was deserving of the opportunity to host a home game. To go from a potential No. 1 seed to playing on the road just didn't look right.

"I commend the members of the committee for acknowledging that piece of it and making the right decision."

Instead, the committee placed unseeded Wofford in a second-round matchup at Northern Iowa, while the Bobcats were slotted to hostNew Hampshire in Round 2 at Bobcat Stadium in Bozeman.

And that's a good call, because Wofford (in Spartanburg, S.C.) is actually closer to Northern Iowa (in Cedar Falls, Iowa) by air than Bozeman is, anyway.

O'Day also said that the Bobcats wouldn't have been guaranteed the No. 1 seed even if they had beaten Montana, but they certainly were in the Top 3. Sam Houston State was pretty much locked in to the No. 1 spot, O'Day said, because the Bearkats had 11 Division I victories, which is more than any team in the FCS.

Read more: http://billingsgazette.com/sports/college/blogs/catgrizinsider/bobcats-stay-home-by-a-hair/article_340e1018-14bc-11e1-8c8e-001cc4c002e0.html#ixzz1eSYLNAAB

There is some good stuff in there. Very enlightening and good reporting.

Grizzlies82
November 22nd, 2011, 01:18 PM
Who should be #1 Sam Houston or Georgia Southern?

As I stated in that thread... Sam Houston. As quoted in this article..."Sam Houston State was pretty much locked in to the No. 1 spot". A better record does not always mean a better seed, but going undefeated will be rewarded by the committee. Also interesting that South Carolina is closer to Iowa than Bozeman, Montana. It is a big country.

Squealofthepig
November 22nd, 2011, 01:27 PM
Hmm:

While I do not disagree, I had thought the committee had stated in the past that once in the air, exact mileages didn't matter? And thanks for the link, interesting read.

GSU Eagle
November 22nd, 2011, 01:30 PM
Obviously distance and saving money is a big deal for the committee. If Montana St. had not received 1 home game I would have been pissed if I were them.

blueballs
November 22nd, 2011, 01:37 PM
Hmm:

While I do not disagree, I had thought the committee had stated in the past that once in the air, exact mileages didn't matter? And thanks for the link, interesting read.

I remember seeing that quote too a few years ago, but I disagree with it in its totality. Mileage doesn't matter, changing time zones does.

grayghost06
November 22nd, 2011, 01:47 PM
There is some good stuff in there. Very enlightening and good reporting.

Wish that common sense had been employed back in 2006. JMU had a #2 or #3 ranking going into week 10 and lost by a point to Villanova, Then won in week 11 by 35 points to finish the season ranked 6th in the polls and an even higher GPI. NDSU was transitioning and ineligible so there were only 4 teams ranked above us at selection time. One of them was Youngstown who got the #4 seed.
Guess where the committee ( and ESPN) sent us? To Youngstown for a first round matchup of #4 vs #5.
Selection Day has been cruel to us, though in fairness, much of that has been self inflicted by our brain dead bid submitting team.

Now having said all that, how did the committee know that putting MSU in with Wofford would GUARANTEE the Bobcats a home game? Remember the JMU case this year, where EKU somehow outbid JMU. Anything could happen w/ this bidding process, including making a bid where you know you'll lose money. The bids are not opened according to the rules until AFTER the pairings are set.

Squealofthepig
November 22nd, 2011, 01:47 PM
I remember seeing that quote too a few years ago, but I disagree with it in its totality. Mileage doesn't matter, changing time zones does.

That's a very fair point. It also makes you feel a bit more for UNH, who gets shipped two timezones away.

Squealofthepig
November 22nd, 2011, 01:53 PM
Now having said all that, how did the committee know that putting MSU in with Wofford would guarantee the Bobcats a home game? Remember the JMU case this year, where EKU somehow outbid JMU. Anything could happen w/ this bidding process, including making a bid where you know you'll lose money. The bids are not opened according to the rules until after the pairings are set.

What a great point - while historically it's possible to know that MSU generally outbids Wofford, it's definitely not a guarantee. Maybe that's why he used the following language:

We felt Montana State was deserving of the opportunity to host a home game.

Opportunity, not guarantee. But yes, this still seems a bit fishy.

Hammerhead
November 22nd, 2011, 02:09 PM
Big deal. If the game starts at noon MST, that's 2:00 EST. Don't most college games take place in the afternoon? If you ask me, it would be harder for MSU to play an eastern team with a game time of 12:00 EST / 10:00 PST

That's a very fair point. It also makes you feel a bit more for UNH, who gets shipped two timezones away.

NTN GRIZ
November 22nd, 2011, 02:12 PM
Sam Houston State was pretty much locked in to the No. 1 spot, O'Day said, because the Bearkats had 11 Division I victories, which is more than any team in the FCS.

According to this, it wasn't the fact that they were undefeated; it was that they had the most Division I wins. Is this really more important than total wins, quality wins, or winning a top rated conference?

danefan
November 22nd, 2011, 02:12 PM
Big deal. If the game starts at noon MST, that's 2:00 EST. Don't most college games take place in the afternoon? If you ask me, it would be harder for MSU to play an eastern team with a game time of 12:00 EST / 10:00 PST

Weber St. found that out the hard way two years ago at W&M.

dbackjon
November 22nd, 2011, 02:18 PM
Weber St. found that out the hard way two years ago at W&M.

Always have been a problem for west-coast NFL teams that have to play on the East Coast, too

Grizzlies82
November 22nd, 2011, 03:21 PM
What a great point - while historically it's possible to know that MSU generally outbids Wofford, it's definitely not a guarantee. Maybe that's why he used the following language:

Opportunity, not guarantee. But yes, this still seems a bit fishy.

I think you may have misundertood. If MSU were paired with the #5 seeded team, they have no "opportunity".

If MSU is in the second round with an unseeded team, MSU and the other team have the opportunity for a home game.

WrenFGun
November 22nd, 2011, 03:30 PM
Hmm:

Yes, IMO, this is a load of crap. The committee clearly thinks Montana State is better than Wofford, and thus gave Montana State the home game. It's frustrating because it's really not by the letter, but it is what it is. I think I'd personally rather play Montana State than Wofford since we were traveling anyway, but I just think it's ridiculous to claim that it was anything other than wanting to give MSU a home game.

Walkon79
November 22nd, 2011, 04:49 PM
You're right on that I think. Even with the bids being sealed until after the bracket, the committee knows average attendance. With our 5,000 seat addition I think it had to have played into the decision. But I also think it's hard to take a #1 one week and put them on the road in their first playoff game, no matter how bad they got blasted in week 12. (That's assuming of course you get blasted by a top ten team).

Walkon79
November 22nd, 2011, 04:50 PM
I hope UNH players and fans enjoy the trip. It's a beautiful part of the counrty!!

james_lawfirm
November 22nd, 2011, 05:16 PM
It's what you have done years before that matters if you get seeded or not, not what you did this season

If that were true, App would always be seeded. We're not & it's not.

Grizzlies82
November 22nd, 2011, 05:35 PM
Really guys... It's not as if the bobcats needed a bribe to get in the playoffs. They were ranked #1 five days ago. They had a good season at 9-2. They have a good team. Montana State lost their opener to Utah (of the Pac 10), and they lost their last one to Montana (was ranked #7).

This isn't exactly a team which snuck into the mix. Giving them a chance for a home game does not seem like a stretch. Nor with an 18,000 seat stadium is it a surprise they won a bid to host. This isn't rocket science, they earned it. Soon we'll find out if they deserved it.