PDA

View Full Version : Deriso: Is This the End of the 9-Game Mandate (SWAC)

TexasTerror
May 17th, 2006, 06:02 PM
Can it be?

Props to the coaches of the SWAC schools that voted for the end of the nine-game SWAC mandate. Not sure why the Prairie View A&M coach voted against. What's the word SWAC fans?

Ralph, can we get SWAC/I-AA Waves favorite Nick Deriso on? Perhaps track down a SWAC coach or official for I-AA Waves if we can get more on this? Would definitely help the SLC schools with scheduling if this were the case...

------------
From SWAC/I-AA Waves favorite, Nick Deriso...

Seven or nine
The Southwestern Athletic Conference coaches have done their part of put an end to the nine-game mandate.

They voted 9-1 today in the SWAC's spring meetings to abolish the failed concept, which has been inconsistently applied and financially crippling for programs like Grambling that rely on lucrative non-conference contests to float the school budget.

Prairie View's Henry Frazier was the lone dissenter. The issue now moves through the conference ADs then on to the Council of Presidents, who ultimately will decide if the SWAC moves back to its old seven-game mandate.

The conference's spring meetings continue at the Marriott Hotel in downtown Jackson.

I guess I understand the initial intent, a misplaced desire to help the conference's smaller institutions fill out each year's 11-game slate. But it places an unfair burden on programs like Grambling that have a bevy of contract offers from throughout the country each year.

Here's what it means for fans: Doubling the number of available non-conference slots would allow GSU to schedule competitively. Administrators are hamstrung by money concerns right now, such that tantalizing possibilities like Northwestern State or Louisiana-Monroe haven't gotten past the negotiating phase - and for no other reason than that the money wasn't right.

With four non-conference games each year, GSU could safely schedule two or three of the big-payday classic games, yet still make room for games that are more about football than the bottom line.

http://www.thenewsstar.com/news/blogs/blog3/2006/05/simple-math.html

Lehigh Football Nation
May 17th, 2006, 06:06 PM
Wonder if the impetus behind this was rebuilding from last year's gulf coast hurricanes, with facilites and communities that (could be?) still damaged. Chasing some I-A OOC game might help one or more of these schools. Note the schools most active in chasing I-A games and 12-game schedules are the Southland and (maybe now?) the SWAC - where the storms hit the worst.

May 17th, 2006, 06:07 PM
... From SWAC/I-AA Waves favorite, Nick Deriso...
... With four non-conference games each year, GSU could safely schedule two or three of the big-payday classic games, yet still make room for games that are more about football than the bottom line.
http://www.thenewsstar.com/news/blogs/blog3/2006/05/seven-or-nine.html:hurray:

TexasTerror
May 17th, 2006, 06:10 PM
Wonder if the impetus behind this was rebuilding from last year's gulf coast hurricanes, with facilites and communities that (could be?) still damaged. Chasing some I-A OOC game might help one or more of these schools. Note the schools most active in chasing I-A games and 12-game schedules are the Southland and (maybe now?) the SWAC - where the storms hit the worst.

Are you sure the SLC was chasing 12-game schedules? I don't think it was overwhelmingly either way...

I think it's obvious tossing the mandate would allow all the SWAC schools to get another money game (whether Classic or I-A payday) and hopefully a I-AA game.

I'd hope this wouldn't lead to certain schools scheduling two more non-Div I games. If your going to toss the mandate, take advantage of it. The league should not fill the whole non-conference schedules for Paul Quinn, Langston, Lincoln (MO) and Texas College!

Lehigh Football Nation
May 17th, 2006, 06:17 PM
McNeese in particular had a 12th game lined up should the measure had passed. I'm not sure about other schools, but I thought at least another one (SeLa?) was thinking about it too.

R.A.
May 17th, 2006, 06:21 PM
Ralph, can we get SWAC/I-AA Waves favorite Nick Deriso on? Perhaps track down a SWAC coach or official for I-AA Waves if we can get more on this? Would definitely help the SLC schools with scheduling if this were the case...

-What about Coach Comegy from JSU? I remember in another thread there was reference made 2 get him on the show.

May 17th, 2006, 06:29 PM
-What about Coach Comegy from JSU? I remember in another thread there was reference made 2 get him on the show.COMING ATTRACTION! :)

TexasTerror
May 17th, 2006, 06:38 PM
-What about Coach Comegy from JSU? I remember in another thread there was reference made 2 get him on the show.

I've always been interested in hearing Comegy...

He seems to think for itself and let those thoughts known. He may not be the kind of coach that ADs like to have, but he is the kind of coach the media (for the purpose of good quotes, stories) and fans (because they do like honesty from those running their programs) like...

bluedog
May 17th, 2006, 07:07 PM
There's alot of changes that are about to happen in BCF and the majority of them will be between the MEAC and SWAC.

Now all they have to do is vote to allow only the two teams with the best records to participate in the SCG

Catmendue2
May 17th, 2006, 07:44 PM
There's alot of changes that are about to happen in BCF and the majority of them will be between the MEAC and SWAC.

Now all they have to do is vote to allow only the two teams with the best records to participate in the SCG

You got that right Blu. :smiley_wi : Its already in the works. If the Challange game goes off as expected, I believe its a done deal. :hurray:

TexasTerror
May 17th, 2006, 07:53 PM

Considering how weak the SWAC West is with Texas Southern, Prairie View A&M and Arkansas-Pine Bluff...three teams that have historically in I-AA been miserable, isn't that far from fair?

This could lead to a Grambling-Southern rematch as they'll bulldoze the "weak sisters of SWAC" and should fare relatively well against the rest, especially if that mandate removal still keeps division play intact...

Grambling and Southern are light years ahead of the rest in the West...

GeauxLions94
May 17th, 2006, 08:43 PM
McNeese in particular had a 12th game lined up should the measure had passed. I'm not sure about other schools, but I thought at least another one (SeLa?) was thinking about it too.

Rumor here in SLU-Land was that Lions were to face Alcorn State if 12th game had gone through. McNeese has game scheduled against Louisiana-Lafayette (good game between a pair of rivals an hour apart). Last heard that SLC and McNeese were trying to appeal to NCAA to let game go through since Pokes only played nine games in 2005.

mikebigg
May 17th, 2006, 10:08 PM
I would love to see Grambling add at least one more game each year in the state of Louisiana. We have negotiated in the past with Northwestern and also UL-Monroe. It would be cool to go through the entire state with a home and home each year. ULM, then NWST, then McNeese, then ULL, then Nichols, then SLU, then LaTech. Not likely though...I doubt if the 1A's would want to play at Grambling and Tech probably wouldn't even consider a game at their place.

MACHIAVELLI
May 17th, 2006, 11:20 PM
I would love to see Grambling add at least one more game each year in the state of Louisiana. We have negotiated in the past with Northwestern and also UL-Monroe. It would be cool to go through the entire state with a home and home each year. ULM, then NWST, then McNeese, then ULL, then Nichols, then SLU, then LaTech. Not likely though...I doubt if the 1A's would want to play at Grambling and Tech probably wouldn't even consider a game at their place.

ULM doesn't want to pay. The want to give chump change. I would rather THE ICON start the Louisiana Bowl in Sheveport and rotate a different LA school each year...NWST, Nicholls, SELA and MacNiece, Tulane.

3rd Coast Tiger
May 18th, 2006, 12:58 AM
The Commissioner and Associate Commissioner had conference calls with all SWAC national alumni presidents and alumni affairs coordinators not too long ago and raised this issue. I see they posed it now to the coaches. :read:

bluedog
May 18th, 2006, 01:19 AM
Considering how weak the SWAC West is with Texas Southern, Prairie View A&M and Arkansas-Pine Bluff...three teams that have historically in I-AA been miserable, isn't that far from fair?

This could lead to a Grambling-Southern rematch as they'll bulldoze the "weak sisters of SWAC" and should fare relatively well against the rest, especially if that mandate removal still keeps division play intact...

Grambling and Southern are light years ahead of the rest in the West...

It is amazing how much everybody knows about our conference. Do you care to explain what makes the East so much stronger?

This ought to be interesting to listen too since the West represenative have own the East the last six of seven years.

May 18th, 2006, 01:31 AM
It is amazing how much everybody knows about our conference...So you disagree that "Grambling and Southern are light years ahead of the rest in the West..." ????

May 18th, 2006, 01:33 AM
...Now all they have to do is vote to allow only the two teams with the best records to participate in the SCGWhy have divisions then?

MACHIAVELLI
May 18th, 2006, 05:10 AM
So you disagree that "Grambling and Southern are light years ahead of the rest in the West..." ????

Yeah I do. It is only THE ICON that is light years ahead.

TexasTerror
May 18th, 2006, 07:02 AM
It is amazing how much everybody knows about our conference. Do you care to explain what makes the East so much stronger?

This ought to be interesting to listen too since the West represenative have own the East the last six of seven years.

Your right. The West has defeated the East in the SCG six of the last seven years. What schools represented the West each of those seven years?

:: Jeopardy music ::

You got it! Southern and Grambling. Have any other schools competed for the West? Nope. Not at all. That's almost a sure thing that Grambling and Southern will get three wins each year in SWAC play alone out of the nine if divisional play is kept intact if the mandate is tossed. With just seven games, your already two wins away from what would probably get you in the SCG, five wins. Can't say the same thing about the SWAC East now, can we?

Did Southern or Grambling lose to Ark-PB, PVA&M or TxSo this past year?

Nope. SU and Grambling went undefeated in divisional play. In fact, Southern has not lost to a team from the SWAC West ouside of Grambling since 2000 when they lost to Arkansas-Pine Bluff. What about Grambling? Like Southern, they only have one divisional loss to the bottom three since 2000. That was in 2004 against Arkansas-Pine Bluff.

That's a combined record of 28-2 against the division since 2000 if you factor in that Grambling and SU played each opponent three times a year (six between the two) and only had two losses total.

How can you say the SWAC West does not have two schools far and above the rest? xidiotx

The facts speak for themselves. Go check out http://www.cfbdatawarehouse.com if you think TxSo, PVA&M and Ark-PB are any better than that against SU and Grambling...the proof is in the pudding.

Mr. Tiger
May 18th, 2006, 08:03 AM

No. That didn't have anything to do with it. The mandate was unpopular with many SWAC fans and coaches. Schools like Grambling and Jackson State have complained about it since it began. Now that it appears to be gone I can :hurray: because it will allow Jackson State to play more non-conference games against Division I-AA schools and some Division I-A programs.

jstate83
May 18th, 2006, 10:14 AM
PLEEEEEEESE LET THIS BE TRUE!!:hurray: :hurray:

bluedog
May 18th, 2006, 02:11 PM
Your right. The West has defeated the East in the SCG six of the last seven years. What schools represented the West each of those seven years?

You got it! Southern and Grambling. Have any other schools competed for the West? Nope. Not at all. That's almost a sure thing that Grambling and Southern will get three wins each year in SWAC play alone out of the nine if divisional play is kept intact if the mandate is tossed. With just seven games, your already two wins away from what would probably get you in the SCG, five wins. Can't say the same thing about the SWAC East now, can we?

Did Southern or Grambling lose to Ark-PB, PVA&M or TxSo this past year?

Nope. SU and Grambling went undefeated in divisional play. In fact, Southern has not lost to a team from the SWAC West ouside of Grambling since 2000 when they lost to Arkansas-Pine Bluff. What about Grambling? Like Southern, they only have one divisional loss to the bottom three since 2000. That was in 2004 against Arkansas-Pine Bluff.

That's a combined record of 28-2 against the division since 2000 if you factor in that Grambling and SU played each opponent three times a year (six between the two) and only had two losses total.

How can you say the SWAC West does not have two schools far and above the rest? xidiotx

The facts speak for themselves. Go check out http://www.cfbdatawarehouse.com if you think TxSo, PVA&M and Ark-PB are any better than that against SU and Grambling...the proof is in the pudding.

Dude do you always argue the other persons point this well?

My question was........

Do you care to explain what makes the East so much stronger?

Now maybe you can tell us what two teams have own the East since the year 2000. (http://www.cfbdatawarehouse.com/data/div_iaa/southwestern/championship_games.php) Do you think they will be losing to MVSU,Alcorn or even JSU anytime soon? xidiotx

jstate83
May 18th, 2006, 02:42 PM

My question was........

Now maybe you can tell us what two teams have own the East since the year 2000. (http://www.cfbdatawarehouse.com/data/div_iaa/southwestern/championship_games.php) Do you think they will be losing to MVSU,Alcorn or even JSU anytime soon? xidiotx

YEP.......especially JSU ............:D
You didn't exactly tear thing's up last year.:nod:
You LOST to Bamma A&M, VALLEY, ALCORN, then BARELY got past BELL 20-14 and BAMMA St. 41-40.:nod:

SU went 4-5 last year.................Ya'll got work of your own to do. :twocents:

Catmendue2
May 18th, 2006, 04:36 PM

My question was........

Blue he is allowed to write what ever he likes, but if one of us don't agree our posts gets deleted By Ralphie. Just like my last Second the motion of your previous posts.

Hell yeah SCG all the way.:hurray:

Catmendue2
May 18th, 2006, 04:38 PM
Blue he is allowed to write what ever he likes, but if one of us don't agree our posts gets deleted By Ralphie. Just like my last Second the motion of your previous posts.

Hell yeah SCG all the way.:hurray:

Heritage Bowl coming to stadium near you:hurray:

May 18th, 2006, 04:43 PM
Blue he is allowed to write what ever he likes, but if one of us don't agree our posts gets deleted By Ralphie. Just like my last Second the motion of your previous posts.I am not a Mod. You are wrong. Don't forget to click submit and wait for the page to refresh. :rolleyes: Put your smack on the smack board, that's how it works here, different from TSPN. :nod:

Panther88
May 18th, 2006, 04:51 PM
Where's the Terror guy from Texas?

We need a game next year and SHSU is on our chopping block. Tell'em to call their big brother in Nacogdoches too!

We need to fill out our schedules w/ *ahem* DivI competition. :bang:

Catmendue2
May 18th, 2006, 05:13 PM
I am not a Mod. You are wrong. Don't forget to click submit and wait for the page to refresh. :rolleyes: Put your smack on the smack board, that's how it works here, different from TSPN. :nod:

Tell me the Heritage Bowl aint about 1-AA football.

Oh it clicked, and others read it before it was deleted.

May 18th, 2006, 05:37 PM
Tell me the Heritage Bowl aint about 1-AA football.
Oh it clicked, and other read it before it was deletedThe Heritage Bowl is all about I-AA. I didn't see any post by you here but Mods are quick up in here on the Discussion Board.

TexasTerror
May 18th, 2006, 06:32 PM
We need a game next year and SHSU is on our chopping block. Tell'em to call their big brother in Nacogdoches too!

You guys toss the mandate and offer a home-and-home with your portion of the game being in a Houston stadium (not Blackshear) and I think the Kats would take it. We may ask for a two and one, but I think having your side of the home game in Houston would make us feel tempted to a one-and-home...

We need to fill out our schedules w/ *ahem* DivI competition. :bang:

Amen! :hurray:

TexasTerror
May 18th, 2006, 06:56 PM
Our buddy, Nick Deriso had this to say today in his blog...

Following up
Following up on earlier blogs, the Southwestern Athletic Conference athletics directors have also voted to move back to the seven-game mandate - following a similar action by the SWAC coaches.

The voting was identical, too - 9-to-1.

This measure, which would abolish a two-year-old rule that required all conference foes to play one another, now faces final approval from the SWAC's Council of Presidents. That vote is expected on Friday as the conference's spring meetings close in Jackson, Miss.

Spirited debates both at SWACPage.com (with more than 1,300 thread views alone) and AnyGivenSaturday.com illustrate why the conference itself has been timid about dealing with this. Still, it's good to see progress toward resolution on a festering problem.

He's great at plugging AnyGivenSaturday. Much love to Deriso! He deserves brownie points, Ralph. Time to head over to SWACPage to see what's being said over there...but, first. Here is a plug for Nick's blog over on the Monroe News-Star web site:

http://www.thenewsstar.com/news/blogs/blog3/index.html

mikebigg
May 18th, 2006, 08:30 PM
TT,

Your post was only half right... Yes, Grambling and Southern has an impressive record over the SWAC West, but we also have an impressive combined record against the East in the same period of time.

But your debate would have had more weight if you would have posted the records of the SWAC West (other than Grambling and Southern) against the SWAC East. Remember that TxSU defeated East Division winner A&M over in Huntsville, (AL). Remember that Pine Bluff is close to (if not over) .500 against the East. PV beat JSU last year and has come close in recent games against both Bamas.

At first glance, some not actually in the conference might think the East is stronger but that's not the case. The are more competitive over there but even that is questionable. Since 99 they have been represented by one of the Bamians.

May 18th, 2006, 09:03 PM
... the records of the SWAC West (other than Grambling and Southern) against the SWAC East...Mike, do you have the records handy?

TexasTerror
May 18th, 2006, 09:34 PM
But your debate would have had more weight if you would have posted the records of the SWAC West (other than Grambling and Southern) against the SWAC East. Remember that TxSU defeated East Division winner A&M over in Huntsville, (AL). Remember that Pine Bluff is close to (if not over) .500 against the East. PV beat JSU last year and has come close in recent games against both Bamas.

The SWAC West is miserable against the SWAC East. Simple as that! If Grambling and Southern were to play an unbalanced schedule with games against SWAC West foes, they'd have a definite unfair advantage!

Yes, Texas Southern defeated Alabama A&M, but who else did they defeat? They went 0-fer the rest of their schedule!

Arkansas-PB is 8-17 against the SWAC East since 2000. That may be off by a game one way or another, but that's the best record for a SWAC West team outside of Grambling and Southern. This thanks to the College Football Data Warehouse.

3-13 is Texas Southern's mark since 2002 against the East and 1-17 is Prairie View A&M since 2002 against the East. This according to SWAC.org.

It's one thing coming close. It's another thing to win...

At first glance, some not actually in the conference might think the East is stronger but that's not the case. The are more competitive over there but even that is questionable. Since 99 they have been represented by one of the Bamians.

So in conclusion. The SWAC West is top-heavy with Grambling and Southern. The SWAC East may be Bama-fied, but the SWAC East as a whole is the stronger division from top to bottom as is obvious by the dominance over the SWAC West also-rans of PV, Ark-PB and TxSo.

Funny enough, seems everyone doesn't want to be stuck with PV, TxSo and Ark-PB if the schedule changes with a seven-game mandate...namely the Jackson St fans who don't want their school to lose a packed house for rivalries against other SWAC foes who they may miss...

bluedog
May 18th, 2006, 10:21 PM
YEP.......especially JSU ............:D
You didn't exactly tear thing's up last year.:nod:
You LOST to Bamma A&M, VALLEY, ALCORN, then BARELY got past BELL 20-14 and BAMMA St. 41-40.:nod:

SU went 4-5 last year.................Ya'll got work of your own to do. :twocents:

Are you really trying to compare Pete's first losing season to JSU's three year debacle and it's seven year championship-less drought?
:twocents:

mikebigg
May 18th, 2006, 10:42 PM
I haven't checked your numbers but clearly the three bottom teams in the West has a better record against the top teams in the East than the opposite. One can also make the argument that the toptwo finishers in the West has a better head to head matchup against the East's top two.

The East may have more competitive balance but that doesn't make that league better from top to bottom. Grambling and Southern's regular season record is usually the best overall in the league...but that doesnt mean the West is necessarily equal. An argument can be made either way.

jstate83
May 19th, 2006, 08:15 AM
Are you really trying to compare Pete's first losing season to JSU's three year debacle and it's seven year championship-less drought?
:twocents:

After 35 years of NEVER having a losing record until BELL got to JSU.................YES................Pete has a long way to go to be compaired to JSU. He came in at the right time in the SWAC.....................but hey................"WE ARE JACKSON STATE UNIVERSITY" We'll be back SOOOOON...............(I know you hate that saying). xlolx xlolx

Let's see what he do this year after a dissapointing 2005 campaign.:nod:

jstate83
May 19th, 2006, 08:17 AM
And BTW: THE 9 GAME MANDATE IS HISTORY.............Well it's looking like it's history..:hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray:

The AD's voted to get rid of it. Now the SWAC council has to vote on it. HOPE THEY FOLLOW THE SMART LEAD...........You know the AD's basically voted on the advise of their coaches.........nobody want's a 9-game mandate.

Back to 7 games now hopefully....................4 games to play with when scheduling.:nod:

People are walking around in JACKTOWN like this...........:D :D :D :D ..........thinking about the teams we can get on the schedule in the same year.:nod:

Tenn St. already has 1 slot filled every year in Memphis......................This will give us 3 more slots. :hurray: :hurray: :hurray:

Panther88
May 19th, 2006, 12:20 PM
You guys toss the mandate and offer a home-and-home with your portion of the game being in a Houston stadium (not Blackshear) and I think the Kats would take it. We may ask for a two and one, but I think having your side of the home game in Houston would make us feel tempted to a one-and-home...

Ahhhhhhhhh, noooooooooooooooooooo! xidiotx Do you know how much it costs to rent those "Houston" stadiums? PV-SHSU wouldn't draw 3K people. Especially our backers. A sure revenue loser for us.

We'll keep PQ, TC, Lincoln on speed dial.

May 19th, 2006, 12:27 PM
... We'll keep PQ, TC, Lincoln on speed dial.and keep this... GPI sez:
101. Prairie View

http://i-aa.org/section_front.asp?arttypeid=564

Cap'n Cat
May 19th, 2006, 12:33 PM
and keep this... GPI sez:
101. Prairie View

http://i-aa.org/section_front.asp?arttypeid=564

You racist doo-doo head, Ralph!

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

:rotateh:

MACHIAVELLI
May 19th, 2006, 12:40 PM
The Council of Presidents have the final say so. Let's hope they look at way the coaches and AD's have voted and maybe we can get some votes to swing in favor of the 4+3=7 mandate. A 6-4 vote will carry this. TxSU president has been let go. Who will vote in her place? Will that hold up the process? Will the refer to the TxSU Coach and/orAD who has voted for the 4+3=7. My thought is that the C.O.P. will hold off on voting...saying that they need more information before making this decision. Maybe it is a good thing in order for them to make sure that the 7 game mandate is better than the 9.

GAD
May 19th, 2006, 12:50 PM

Amen! :hurray:
Teams not wanting to play at places like Blackshear was the reason the 9 game mandate was put in in the first place

TexasTerror
May 19th, 2006, 12:59 PM
We'll keep PQ, TC, Lincoln on speed dial.

And how does this benefit you when you enter SWAC play? Playing sub-Div I games, especially ones that don't draw well either home or away...? Against inferior competition?

Lincoln, the school that had less than 700 show up when you guys came to town? Of course, you did have 8000 when you played them. Was it Homecoming?

Paul Quinn, you guys barely cracked 4000 against (the last two times) and who knows if those numbers are inflated. Only had 1200 when you traveled there.

I think if you had SHSU at a Houston area venue, you'd get atleast 3000 Bearkat fans if not more. SHSU alums show up in good numbers in Houston for events the Kats participate in. Keep in mind, that 3000 is more than you guys got against Jackson St and Alabama A&M at home, conference foes!

Guess we'd be better off not traveling there...or at the very least, play us in Huntsville first, so you can pull out of your home game, similar as you did when you played SELA. :nono:

bluedog
May 19th, 2006, 01:19 PM
After 35 years of NEVER having a losing record until BELL got to JSU.................YES................Pete has a long way to go to be compaired to JSU. He came in at the right time in the SWAC.....................but hey................"WE ARE JACKSON STATE UNIVERSITY" We'll be back SOOOOON...............(I know you hate that saying). xlolx xlolx

Let's see what he do this year after a dissapointing 2005 campaign.:nod:

Bruh make sense when you debate. What does JSU 35 yr. history has to do with Pete? xidiotx

This would be more fitting don't you think? "Southern vs Jackson St. (MS) (http://www.cfbdatawarehouse.com/data/div_iaa/southwestern/southern/opponents_records.php?teamid=1557)
"

jstate83
May 19th, 2006, 02:01 PM
Bruh make sense when you debate. What does JSU 35 yr. history has to do with Pete? xidiotx

This would be more fitting don't you think? "Southern vs Jackson St. (MS) (http://www.cfbdatawarehouse.com/data/div_iaa/southwestern/southern/opponents_records.php?teamid=1557)
"

Dude............................KING PETE is only 8-5 against JSU as a head coach since 1993.
King PETE beat JSU in Hughes "interm" year in the regular season and then again 31-30 in the SCG in 1999. :nod:
Hughes "tipped his hat" and promptly whipped KING PETES arse the next 3 years.xlolx

Take away those "give-away's" the last 3 years under BELL and
KING PETE is only a .500 coach against JSU.....................AVERAGE.:rolleyes:

KING PETE....................whoopty doo. :D
Is that a better comparison.xlolx

mikebigg
May 19th, 2006, 02:07 PM
Eliminate the divisions...create only one permanent rival that never rotates off the other's schedule (Gram/SU, TSU/PV, Alcorn/Jackson, Bama/AAMU, Valley/UAPB). Rotate two teams off your schedule each year...during those dates you schedule someone else.

Panther88
May 19th, 2006, 02:58 PM
Teams not wanting to play at places like Blackshear was the reason the 9 game mandate was put in in the first place

One of the many reasons. :smiley_wi I think $$$$ being taken outside the conference was another major one. xcoffeex We "lower tier" SWAC teams required the revenue of the top producers to help stay afloat. :cool:

You see what's happening here don't you? Look @ what TT is doing up there ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^. Dictating. :nono: Renting out Reliant @ 50-100K and we'll lose close to 70K due to all of 4-5K fans showing up. Senseless.

TT, if SHSU doesn't want to come to Blackshear, we know several who would. :hurray: Got'em on speed dial I tell ya'.

TexasTerror
May 19th, 2006, 04:41 PM
You see what's happening here don't you? Look @ what TT is doing up there ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^. Dictating. :nono: Renting out Reliant @ 50-100K and we'll lose close to 70K due to all of 4-5K fans showing up. Senseless.

Why Reliant? Why not Rice Stadium? Or Robertson? Much cheaper! Though, your probably right, we'd better off keeping the game in Huntsville where we can draw 10,000 and make some $$$ for us and giving you a short trip. The pay-day we'd offer you would be similar to the sub-Div I teams, if not a little higher, but would be nice for you guys since it'd be more than you get on the trips to Lincoln and Paul Quinn!

Heck, Kats would probably play you at Delmar if you wanted. Just don't make us have to go to Longview, TX like Texas Southern has done to some opponents! :)

TT, if SHSU doesn't want to come to Blackshear, we know several who would. :hurray: Got'em on speed dial I tell ya'.

Are any of them I-AA? xcoffeex

SUjagTILLiDIE
May 19th, 2006, 04:52 PM
Eliminate the divisions...create only one permanent rival that never rotates off the other's schedule (Gram/SU, TSU/PV, Alcorn/Jackson, Bama/AAMU, Valley/UAPB). Rotate two teams off your schedule each year...during those dates you schedule someone else.
8 game mandate with 2 permanent rivals, 4 divisional games, and the others rotating. Thats the only way. 3 non-conference games is plenty. SU,JSU, Alcorn, and Gram has to play each other every year for the swac to be sucessful.

Example

JSU
-----------
SU(Permanent rival)
GSU(PR)

Bama St.(division)
AAMU
Valley
Alcorn

TSU(rotating)
PB(rotating)

*****PVU(rotating) not on schedule

Alcorn
-----------
SU(PR)
GSU(PR)

Bama St.(division)
AAMU(division)
Valley(division)
ALcorn(division)

PVU(rotating)
PB(rotating)

****TSU(rotating) not on schedule

AAMU
-------------
PB(PR)
TSU(PR)

JSU(division)
Alcorn
Bama St.
Valley

SU(rotating)
PVU(rotating)

****Gram(rotating) not on schedule

ASU
---------------
PVU(pr)
TSU(Pr)

JSU(division)
Alcorn
Valley
AAMU

GSU(rotating)
PB(rotating)

*****SU(rotating) not on schedule

Some years those teams will play SU and Gram and some years they won't. They will always play one.

MACHIAVELLI
May 19th, 2006, 05:12 PM
Just go back to the way it was before the 9 game mandate. 4 divisional + 3 other div. teams that rotate every 2 years. If the teams that rotate want to continue to play each other they have to sign a 2 year binding contract with that team.

3rd Coast Tiger
May 19th, 2006, 05:37 PM
Just don't make us have to go to Longview, TX like Texas Southern has done to some opponents! :)

Gee Mr. Know Every Damn Thing,

Please name these opponents then tell me how much a promoter paid us to move the game?

TexasTerror
May 19th, 2006, 06:07 PM
Please name these opponents then tell me how much a promoter paid us to move the game?

"After losing 27-15 to defending Southwestern Athletic Conference champion Alabama State in Longview". A promoter paid for you guys to have the game in Longview? What the heck is in Longview? xlolx

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/stickney/3353102.html

Weren't y'all also supposed to have a game in Beaumont too against Grambling or Southern?

TexasTerror
May 19th, 2006, 06:11 PM
Latest from Nick D talks about the schools not named Grambling, Southern and Jackson St who may have issues finding foes. Perhaps our PVA&M fan that posted here was not correct about knowing foes who'd come to Blackshear? Maybe the SWAC Presidents fear too many sub Div I games and many sub Div I losses (hey, atleast Comegy is in the SWAC now, right?)...

The message from the Southwestern Athletic Conference's Council of Presidents?

Hold up.

Given an opportunity to follow the lead of both the SWAC coaches and athletics directors in abolishing a two-year-old nine-game mandate in football scheduling, the presidents decided they needed more time.

The idea had quickly gained speed during spring meetings, held at Jackson, Miss., this year, until it hit an unexpected road block at its final stop today.

The presidents have asked the conference office to compile more information about possible opponents and the way a new scheduling mandate would work. That will then be presented during the SWAC's winter meetings, held after the football season.

The ADs and coaches had recommended that the SWAC move to a slate with seven league opponents, instead of nine, giving programs four dates to schedule non-conference games. These lucrative contests, often presented as "classics," form the majority of proceeds in many SWAC athletic budgets.

The presidents worried that the league's smaller institutions would struggle to find the extra opponents.

"When you look at it, in a system like that, teams like Grambling, Jackson State and Southern always come out on top," said assistant SWAC commissioner Duer Sharp, now serving as interim athletics director at GSU. "But you have to be concerned about Mississippi Valley and Alcorn, because it may be harder for them to find four football games than it would be for Grambling. You have to be aware of that and put something in place to ensure their survival."

Maybe next year.

Follow Deriso's blog at...

bluedog
May 19th, 2006, 06:25 PM
Dude............................KING PETE is only 8-5 against JSU as a head coach since 1993.

OK I'll stop responding now. BTW, JSU is only 5-8 against Pete. :rolleyes:

TexasTerror
May 19th, 2006, 06:32 PM

It's the Comegy Era! Jackson St is definitely going to field a better team than they've fielded in recent years and I think even us folks from non-HBCU squads are interested in what Comegy's teams produce on the field and what he says off... :)

bluedog
May 19th, 2006, 06:56 PM
It's the Comegy Era! Jackson St is definitely going to field a better team than they've fielded in recent years and I think even us folks from non-HBCU squads are interested in what Comegy's teams produce on the field and what he says off... :)

The problem wasn't the teams.

3rd Coast Tiger
May 19th, 2006, 09:08 PM
"After losing 27-15 to defending Southwestern Athletic Conference champion Alabama State in Longview". A promoter paid for you guys to have the game in Longview? What the heck is in Longview? xlolx

Alabama State. That's one.... still waiting on those other opponent names?

TexasTerror
May 19th, 2006, 09:43 PM
Alabama State. That's one.... still waiting on those other opponent names?

Did not mean to refer to it in the plural...the point if you guys played a game in Longview. Kats wouldn't play a neutral game in a place that made no sense to either team. xidiotx

Kats going to play Nicholls St in San Angelo? Play Prairie View A&M in Kingsville? Play Northern Colorado in Lufkin? Where's Texas Southern's in-state neutral game this year? Alpine? Odessa? Killeen? Sabine Pass? Livingston?

Can't believe a promoter would bring a SWAC game to Longview of all places...

MACHIAVELLI
May 19th, 2006, 11:20 PM
My thought is that the C.O.P. will hold off on voting...saying that they need more information before making this decision. Maybe it is a good thing in order for them to make sure that the 7 game mandate is better than the 9.

I hate being right all the time.

The message from the Southwestern Athletic Conference's Council of Presidents?

Hold up.

Given an opportunity to follow the lead of both the SWAC coaches and athletics directors in abolishing a two-year-old nine-game mandate in football scheduling, the presidents decided they needed more time.

The idea had quickly gained speed during spring meetings, held at Jackson, Miss., this year, until it hit an unexpected road block at its final stop today.

The presidents have asked the conference office to compile more information about possible opponents and the way a new scheduling mandate would work. That will then be presented during the SWAC's winter meetings, held after the football season.

The ADs and coaches had recommended that the SWAC move to a slate with seven league opponents, instead of nine, giving programs four dates to schedule non-conference games. These lucrative contests, often presented as "classics," form the majority of proceeds in many SWAC athletic budgets.

The presidents worried that the league's smaller institutions would struggle to find the extra opponents.

"When you look at it, in a system like that, teams like Grambling, Jackson State and Southern always come out on top," said assistant SWAC commissioner Duer Sharp, now serving as interim athletics director at GSU. "But you have to be concerned about Mississippi Valley and Alcorn, because it may be harder for them to find four football games than it would be for Grambling. You have to be aware of that and put something in place to ensure their survival."

Maybe next year.

Follow Deriso's blog at...

Tealblood
May 20th, 2006, 07:51 AM
I am late to this thread but why such an extreme 7 or 9 what ever happened to 8

MACHIAVELLI
May 20th, 2006, 08:08 AM
I am late to this thread but why such an extreme 7 or 9 what ever happened to 8

Dollars and cents...mostly dollars. 1 game for a school such as THE ICON could mean 450 to 600k. That gives us four games instead of three to make a significant amount of money. My other hope is that they allow 12 games which gives us 5 games to work with. But that is just my :twocents:

TexasTerror
May 20th, 2006, 09:17 AM
Mach,

Ya think if the NCAA approved 12 games for I-AA, the SWAC would stick with nine game mandate? That'd be an increase of one OOC to three games. Or if that 12 games was approved, SWAC would move to eight games?

jstate83
May 20th, 2006, 02:32 PM
Dollars and cents...mostly dollars. 1 game for a school such as THE ICON could mean 450 to 600k. That gives us four games instead of three to make a significant amount of money. My other hope is that they allow 12 games which gives us 5 games to work with. But that is just my :twocents:

Exactly...........:nod:
We only have 1 other date to play with each year.
As of now, 10 dates are set.:bang:

jstate83
May 20th, 2006, 03:16 PM

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
He takes 1 line out of something and act like HE's proven a point.:rolleyes:
Yeah...............STOP RESPONDING.:rolleyes:

Like I said .................for all that talk you made about how much better KING Pete is against the EAST, and put JSU's name in it................Just thought I'd point out KING Pete ain't no BOOGIE-MAN to us.:nono:

Yep ................Pete is 8-5 including 3 wins over BELL. :rolleyes:
WHO COULDN'T BEAT BELL..............MY BAD..............The ONLY coach in the SWAC that DID NOT BEAT BELL was Totten at Valley.:nod:

So ..........you right Blue...............Stop talking crazy.............open your eyes and realize ya'll got a lot of work at SU this year too............4-5 don't put fear into anyone's heart.:twocents:

bluedog
May 21st, 2006, 12:03 AM
Obviously it puts enough fear in your heart to make you butt in on a conversation about divisional comparison and try to make it out of who cares about what JSU record is against Pete.

MACHIAVELLI
May 21st, 2006, 10:51 AM
Mach,

Ya think if the NCAA approved 12 games for I-AA, the SWAC would stick with nine game mandate? That'd be an increase of one OOC to three games. Or if that 12 games was approved, SWAC would move to eight games?

No and maybe. If I were in charge it would be no and no.

jstate83
May 21st, 2006, 02:09 PM
Obviously it puts enough fear in your heart to make you butt in on a conversation about divisional comparison and try to make it out of who cares about what JSU record is against Pete.

Yeah Blue................How you doing.xlolx

Comming to se that BUTT-WHIPPING SU gonna take in Jacktown this year?xlolx :D

TexasTerror
May 22nd, 2006, 06:39 AM
An interesting read put out by Deriso...

I really like this below remark where the relevance of the SWAC Championship Game is questioned because it is a rematch each year.
-------
That, in turn, led some fans to question the relevance of the SWAC Championship Game, which has been a guaranteed rematch ever since.

"As an avid supporter of the SCG, I would love to see the game actually mean something again," Hunter said. "If a nine-game conference schedule is played, exactly what is the purpose of a conference championship?"
--------
Hey, a guy with SWAC ties talking about playing SLC opponents! Nice!

Still, the recent ruling by the NCAA allowing Division I-A teams to play an extra game each season, and for that contest to count toward bowl eligibility, has opened up hundreds more opportunities for non-conference matches.

"We wouldn't play Alcorn or J-State every year, but this will allow us flexibility to schedule more 'classic' games, D-IA games and good I-AA match-ups with schools like Northwestern State, McNeese and Stephen F. Austin," Singleton said.
----------

http://www.thenewsstar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060522/SPORTS/605220332/1006

SU Jag
May 22nd, 2006, 01:00 PM
Lets just get rid of this stupid 9-game man-date, bottom line!:nod:

TexasTerror
May 22nd, 2006, 05:37 PM

Nick Deriso on I-AA Waves!

Latest blog of note from Deriso on scheduling in which he even comes crashing down on the SWAC for says they don't know how to build their product. I'm sure many of us could've told them about the 'opprotunity lost', but seems some folks on here say they don't care about respect or building their product...

An opportunity lost
Grambling was in serious talks to play both Northwestern State and Louisiana-Monroe, two potential in-state out-of-conference rivals, last off-season - but couldn't get a deal to work within the constrictions of the SWAC's silly nine-game mandate.

That rule leaves GSU with only two spots to fill each year, leading to consistent struggles to balance competitive and financial considerations. The SWAC Council of Presidents could have fixed it on Friday, but instead tabled a motion to change a rule that says Grambling must play every other league team.

Fans like Leon Riley, who attended GSU in the mid-1970s, are still stung by the opportunity lost.

"The ruling disappoints me greatly for two reasons," Riley said. "Playing 'superior' teams sharpens our skills for playing peers. Not to speak of the financial benefits over playing SWAC teams. Secondly, this deadens our chances of ever playing other teams from Louisiana - especially ULM. If I were to guess, I would say that some in the SWAC must envy the revenue and exposure playing away from the SWAC that Grambling garners."

The SWAC just doesn't get it. Playing each other is comfortable, maybe even profitable. But you don't grow your product by continuing in this insular way.

There is a world outside of the pathways between these 10 schools.

Grambling set the standard for playing non-league opponents. Back in the 1960s.

It's about time everyone else joined them on that road.

For more of Deriso, click over to...

GAD
May 22nd, 2006, 05:59 PM
Grambling will probably never play UL Monroe unless they agree to play one at ULM and one at S'port or they give 60Gram\40ULM split of the gate other than that I don't think it would ever happen.

May 22nd, 2006, 06:01 PM
Nick Deriso on I-AA Waves!Oh yeah, tomorrow at 8 p.m. CST and a few hours later in the archive at http://www.i-aa.org/article.asp?articleid=72957

Nick is very outspoken on the mandate issue. We also talk about the poll results and "Season of the Tiger."

jstate83
May 23rd, 2006, 10:06 AM
:nod: :nod:
:nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod:

Retro
May 24th, 2006, 05:02 PM
It all comes to financial responsibility among the schools in the SWAC...

Their main concern each year is money games from top to bottom.. The lower tier teams rely on games with Grambling, Southern and Jackson State every year just to make ends meet. That to me in I-AA is a serious problem... No school should be struggling to balance the budget every year with it's dependence on a the same 2-3 games.. Just like I-AA teams playing I-A BCS teams.. Those games should be a bonus and put teams above the budget in a normal year...

Don't get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with raking in the dough when able, but not at the expense of building a solid program on the field and not already being at least a break even budgeted program year to year with a different schedule..

IMO, The SWAC teams would ultimately do much better on the field and at the bank if they would expand their availability to play more I-AA and I-A teams overall.. It may take a few years, but new rivalries and fan bases will develop as will local interest in general.

We've heard the argument before that some of the SWAC schools don't draw well unless they play a swac team or meac team because of the so-called events OR band competition that goes with it, which may be true. If that's the case then why is that? Are SWAC fans really not football fans as much as Band fans? Is it poor marketing when non-meac/swac teams come to town? What?

What is the ultimate goal of the football programs?

I would think to the players it is winning a true championship and being the best you can be at your level not just within 2 conferences.. Long after the players move on, the big payday's won't be remembered by the players, but wins and championships are forever remembered.

With better financial management, maybe more of the schools will easily drop the 9 game mandate and do a better job of getting people to all games home and away.

No school should even have a football team if their budget is so far in the hole every year that they depend on 2 - 3 big games to bail them out.. It should be a more even flow throughout the year with maybe 1 sub-par game and 1 better than average game each year at least...

mikebigg
May 24th, 2006, 06:27 PM
The emphasis should be on what type schedule best increases the season ticket sales. Some folk have mentioned to me that we need teams that will bring fans. I don't agree. I think we need teams that OUR fans are interested in seeing us play. That's how you boost season ticket sales.

The ICON gets a lot of D1 and Classic offers on a regular basis...but I would not want to hang our hat on that. It's good to get those big paydays but I want a consistent home game attendance increase. That's how you balance the budget (imo).

May 24th, 2006, 07:51 PM
mb, you know how much it bugs me when you say stuff like "The ICON gets a lot of D1 and Classic offers on a regular basis..." Exactly how many D-I teams did Grambling play last year? :p

TexasTerror
May 24th, 2006, 08:03 PM
Deriso says the "have nots" of the SWAC can find some non-conference games from the I-As, I-AAs and even the HBCU Div IIs...

Says those SWAC schools need to grow their programs and step out of conference to do so...

jstate83
May 24th, 2006, 08:19 PM
Oh well......................With us and the 9 game mandate, unless the other school's open date is on the 1st weekend of the season, WE SCREWED.............JSU that is....................So we playing Paul Quinn.:eyebrow:

Hated this 9 game crap since it started.:bang:

mikebigg
May 24th, 2006, 08:23 PM
mb, you know how much it bugs me when you say stuff like "The ICON gets a lot of D1 and Classic offers on a regular basis..." Exactly how many D-I teams did Grambling play last year? :p

My bad...every team we played (except Concordia) was D1.

We've been in negotiations with teams from BCS conferences but couldn't work it out due to the scheduling restrictions.

TexasTerror
May 24th, 2006, 08:34 PM
My bad...every team we played (except Concordia) was D1.

It's Div I, not D1. :nono:

We've been in negotiations with teams from BCS conferences but couldn't work it out due to the scheduling restrictions.

Do you think if the mandate is tossed, we'd see Grambling do two I-A $$$ games? Think the faithful would like to get rung up for what would possibly be two losses in a given year? Wouldn't impact your SWAC title chances, though I-AAs tend to get roughened up more due to lack of depth against I-As (scholarships), but would that hurt your HBCU National Championship contention?

3rd Coast Tiger
May 24th, 2006, 10:46 PM
We've heard the argument before that some of the SWAC schools don't draw well unless they play a swac team or meac team because of the so-called events OR band competition that goes with it, which may be true. If that's the case then why is that?

Pose this question to Teresa Phillips at Tennessee State.

SUjagTILLiDIE
May 25th, 2006, 12:59 AM
We've heard the argument before that some of the SWAC schools don't draw well unless they play a swac team or meac team because of the so-called events OR band competition that goes with it, which may be true. If that's the case then why is that? Are SWAC fans really not football fans as much as Band fans? Is it poor marketing when non-meac/swac teams come to town? What?Its called tradition. Some of these teams have been playing for seventy plus years. You wouldn't understand until you attend a game. I wish some of you guys would come to SU vs JSU this year and then you would understand. Its not just the football, or the bands, or the tailgating, or the fashion show, or the beautiful women, or the cheerleaders, or the stars in attendance, or the after partys. Its the whole package.

Mr. Tiger
May 25th, 2006, 08:45 AM

Their main concern each year is money games from top to bottom.. The lower tier teams rely on games with Grambling, Southern and Jackson State every year just to make ends meet. That to me in I-AA is a serious problem...
We've heard the argument before that some of the SWAC schools don't draw well unless they play a swac team or meac team because of the so-called events OR band competition that goes with it, which may be true. If that's the case then why is that? Are SWAC fans really not football fans as much as Band fans? Is it poor marketing when non-meac/swac teams come to town? What?...

Good points, Retro. In my opinion you have Grambling, Southern, and Jackson State who have nice size budgets. Alcorn, Alabama A&M and Alabama State are certainly not poor. But schools like Valley, Arkansas-Pine Bluff, and Prairie View have few big money games.
So what may be good for Jackson State, Grambling and Southern may not be so good for some in the SWAC. In saying this, I believe the 9-game mandate should be no more.
You shouldn't hamper JSU, Grambling and Southern's, among others, ability to grow their programs in an effort to help others who may be less fortunate.
And your question on SWAC attendance is also a valid one.
The main problem is how much tradition and rivals play a part in attendance. Let's take Prairie View.
PV was once a powerful program before my time and Grambling was and still is, so there is history there and both schools developed a rivalry. When PV and Grambling hit the field a large crowd shows up for the State Fair Classic in Dallas, it is even televised.
But let PV take on Alabama State or Alabama A&M. There's no history in those matchups. Fans just don't get excited about it.
It's the same deal from some schools when a non-meac/swac team comes to town. But remember the SWAC has been a leader in Division I-AA attendance for two decades so attendance isn't the real problem, it is how some SWAC schools are funded by their respective states.

Mr. Tiger
May 25th, 2006, 08:45 AM

Their main concern each year is money games from top to bottom.. The lower tier teams rely on games with Grambling, Southern and Jackson State every year just to make ends meet. That to me in I-AA is a serious problem...
We've heard the argument before that some of the SWAC schools don't draw well unless they play a swac team or meac team because of the so-called events OR band competition that goes with it, which may be true. If that's the case then why is that? Are SWAC fans really not football fans as much as Band fans? Is it poor marketing when non-meac/swac teams come to town? What?...

Good points, Retro. In my opinion you have Grambling, Southern, and Jackson State who have nice size budgets. Alcorn, Alabama A&M and Alabama State are certainly not poor. But schools like Valley, Arkansas-Pine Bluff, and Prairie View have few big money games.
So what may be good for Jackson State, Grambling and Southern may not be so good for some in the SWAC. In saying this, I believe the 9-game mandate should be no more.
You shouldn't hamper JSU, Grambling and Southern's, among others, ability to grow their programs in an effort to help others who may be less fortunate.
And your question on SWAC attendance is also a valid one.
The main problem is how much tradition and rivals play a part in attendance. Let's take Prairie View.
PV was once a powerful program before my time and Grambling was and still is, so there is history there and both schools developed a rivalry. When PV and Grambling hit the field a large crowd shows up for the State Fair Classic in Dallas, it is even televised.
But let PV take on Alabama State or Alabama A&M. There's no history in those matchups. Fans just don't get excited about it.
It's the same deal from some schools when a non-meac/swac team comes to town. But remember the SWAC has been a leader in Division I-AA attendance for two decades so attendance isn't the real problem, it is how some SWAC schools are funded by their respective states.

MACHIAVELLI
May 25th, 2006, 08:54 AM
Oh well......................With us and the 9 game mandate, unless the other school's open date is on the 1st weekend of the season, WE SCREWED.............JSU that is....................So we playing Paul Quinn.:eyebrow:

Hated this 9 game crap since it started.:bang:

The 9 game mandate had nothing to do with JSU playing Paul Quinn. That was Comegy wanting to get a win at home for his debut, nothing else. Smart way to get an easy win and get the fairweather fans back.

Mr. Tiger
May 25th, 2006, 09:06 AM
The 9 game mandate had nothing to do with JSU playing Paul Quinn. That was Comegy wanting to get a win at home for his debut, nothing else. Smart way to get an easy win and get the fairweather fans back.

That's not entirely correct. I do feel Comegy wanted an easy home debut which is smart, but Jackson State was already having trouble scheduling that final game because JSU has no scheduling flexibility. We play 9 conference games and Tennessee State every year so that leaves just one spot and our former AD was already having problems getting an opponent and was in late talks with two schools, including Georgia Southern, so talks were broke off when Comegy was hired. And Comegy doesn't need to win his opener to get fans back because they were not fairweather. The lack of fans last year was by design, fans staged a boycott and refused to show up as long as that horrible former coach we had continued to be employed by the school.

jstate83
May 25th, 2006, 09:17 AM

Man please...................We were talking with 2 teams before Culbertson left.

One was Lou-Laf..................The team that just scheduled NC A&T for the 23rd of Sept...............Our only open date is the 1st game of the season...the 2nd of September.

We had to drop out of the series with Northeastern, and could not honor a "proposed contract" with Nicholl's St.

Hampton was a no-go because of no flexablilty, and the same with NC A&T.
Tell me .................When was the last time we got FAMU on our schedule....you can't even remember.

People in Jackson know a little more about our situation than some BS about Comegy wanting to get an easy win.
Don't confuse us with Spear's scheduling a club team from Poka-dot Highschool every year.

But I forgot...................The "I-CON", xlolx , is the only school that can gane the interest of other teams.:rolleyes:

And as for "Fair weather" fans..............We just don't believe in Bullshat in Jackson. Bell was Bullshat, and by the 3rd year, people refused to continue to pay $20+ on Saturday to see that clown.............it was never about the players on the team.

And even with fan's staying in the parking lot in protest, we still finished in the top 15 in D1-AA in attendance. :nod:
What Jackson State's "Fair Weather" fans did for Homecomming, (only 25,000---biggest crowd in Bell tenure----not good enough for us), and then only getting 3,000 for UAPB, got Bell and Culbertson fired.

City and State leaders, News outlet's, along with the fans started focusing on the President...........Mason. These people are not sinking all this money into West Jackson to see a decline in business.

Understand "I-CON", The leaders in the City of Jackson, and State Officials started complaining about business not making money. The State of Mississippi pouring $MILLION's$ into Memorial and hotel owners in 3 counties was complaining that their hotel's were only half full during this time. Football in the Capitol City of Mississippi is BIG BUSINESS for everybody......White/Black, it don't matter.................unlike Rustin.:eyebrow:

BTW: The opinion Editor, Eric Stringfellow for the Clarion-Ledger, did a study on how much money JSU lost per game during Bell's 3 years. From the last game of HUGHES coaching stint, 2002, to the last game of Bell's stint, JSU lost an average of around $280,000 PER GAME at Memorial from the day's Hughes was there..............THAT'S OVER A QUARTER MILLION PER GAME DECLINE.

Ya'll would kill your President for our fan base..............so don't even go there "I-CON". You may have people here fooled, but you can't talk that crap to Jacktown.:eyebrow:

jstate83
May 25th, 2006, 09:18 AM
That's not entirely correct. I do feel Comegy wanted an easy home debut which is smart, but Jackson State was already having trouble scheduling that final game because JSU has no scheduling flexibility. We play 9 conference games and Tennessee State every year so that leaves just one spot and our former AD was already having problems getting an opponent and was in late talks with two schools, including Georgia Southern, so talks were broke off when Comegy was hired. And Comegy doesn't need to win his opener to get fans back because they were not fairweather. The lack of fans last year was by design, fans staged a boycott and refused to show up as long as that horrible former coach we had continued to be employed by the school.

The "I-con", xlolx , won't hear you.:D

3rd Coast Tiger
May 25th, 2006, 10:03 AM
Its called tradition. Some of these teams have been playing for seventy plus years. You wouldn't understand until you attend a game. I wish some of you guys would come to SU vs JSU this year and then you would understand. Its not just the football, or the bands, or the tailgating, or the fashion show, or the beautiful women, or the cheerleaders, or the stars in attendance, or the after partys. Its the whole package.

Sort of like the Super Bowl and the NBA All-Star Game.

It's more than just a game; it's the week(end) surrounding the game with the tailgating, parties, vendors booths set up outside the stadiums, job fairs, etc...

Panther88
May 25th, 2006, 10:32 AM
Sort of like the Super Bowl and the NBA All-Star Game.

It's more than just a game; it's the week(end) surrounding the game with the tailgating, parties, vendors booths set up outside the stadiums, job fairs, etc...

That's a great analogy 3rd CoastTiger. But, I guess some people do those events just for the "main" game. :confused:

Retro
May 25th, 2006, 12:19 PM
Its called tradition. Some of these teams have been playing for seventy plus years. You wouldn't understand until you attend a game. I wish some of you guys would come to SU vs JSU this year and then you would understand. Its not just the football, or the bands, or the tailgating, or the fashion show, or the beautiful women, or the cheerleaders, or the stars in attendance, or the after partys. Its the whole package.

Trust me, I fully understand that.. I'm not saying just toss out all your great rivalries, but maybe keep certain teams on the scheule very year and others rotate so you can free up some dates each year.. If not willing to take some teams off the schedule now, then what's the point of removing the 9 game mandate if nothing's going to change even if it becomes your decision on who to schedule.. You can't have it both ways.

I see what your saying about the whole package deal, but it's obvious that some teams fans simply don't care that much about football if they can't get excited about playing some of the top teams in the country, but care more about seeing the bands and other pre-game activities.

Maybe the SWAC should never change and keep doing what it's doing, and if thats the case, then you can't expect to improve your programs standing amongst the rest of I-AA never going outside the box.

Retro
May 25th, 2006, 12:24 PM

State funding for athletics is pretty much a dying resource at least in Louisiana, so that's an area that schools have to learn to be more financially creative and responsible in.

Attendance is not really a concern among the top 3-4 SWAC schools, but is it possible that too much of that attendance is not PAID attendance, thus the reason some schools struggle to balance the books with a routine schedule? I mean are some schools giving too many comp tickets or discounted tickets just to get fans there or is a lot of that money going to other sources other than the school itself?

jstate83
May 25th, 2006, 01:32 PM
State funding for athletics is pretty much a dying resource at least in Louisiana, so that's an area that schools have to learn to be more financially creative and responsible in.

Attendance is not really a concern among the top 3-4 SWAC schools, but is it possible that too much of that attendance is not PAID attendance, thus the reason some schools struggle to balance the books with a routine schedule? I mean are some schools giving too many comp tickets or discounted tickets just to get fans there or is a lot of that money going to other sources other than the school itself?

Can't speak for the other, but JSU comp ticket's don't add up to that many.....maybe a few hundred..........(Remember, we play in a 62,000 seat stadium).

The MAJORITY of our sales come from the ticket's offered at $17, Monday thru Friday.

Gameday.............they jump to $20 and up.
Believe it or not, we probably get as many $20 and up sales on Saturday as we do advanced sales the 5 previous days. Throw in the season ticket holders, and a large crowd is assured.

It's easier for people comming from out of town to just walk across from their tailgates and get their ticket's at the stadium on Saturday.

Now homecomming, Southern, and the Capitol City Classic, Alcorn, (when JSU is decent), it's best to get them early and get THERE EARLY.

mikebigg
May 25th, 2006, 06:25 PM
It's Div I, not D1. :nono:

Do you think if the mandate is tossed, we'd see Grambling do two I-A $$$ games? Think the faithful would like to get rung up for what would possibly be two losses in a given year? Wouldn't impact your SWAC title chances, though I-AAs tend to get roughened up more due to lack of depth against I-As (scholarships), but would that hurt your HBCU National Championship contention?

I don't think it would be in our long term best interest to play two BCS teams in one season. At least I hope not. I think the best long term approach is to improve our home attendance through playing home and home games against D1AA's that will increase our local fan attendance.

I would like to play a BCS game, a Classic game versus top MEAC finishers, home and home against with Louisiana based schools.

May 26th, 2006, 03:27 AM
... D1AA's...Like that App St guy, just doing it to annoy? :confused: The App guy thinks they are above I-AA. mikebigg, why do you continue it? Habit?

mikebigg
May 26th, 2006, 07:18 AM
Like that App St guy, just doing it to annoy? :confused: The App guy thinks they are above I-AA. mikebigg, why do you continue it? Habit?

Ralph,

With all due respect, I'm just not really caught up in the alpha/numerical nomenclature. Not trying to belittle the importance, but that type of thing just doesn't get my focus. I will (if it doesn't slip my mind) try to make sure I have the nomenclature down...cause I understand pet peeves. For instance, I was always taught to capitalize proper names like Mike Bigg :D

And no...I don't think we are above iaa (lol)

May 26th, 2006, 12:33 PM
... I was always taught to capitalize proper names like Mike Bigg :D ...:lmao: