PDA

View Full Version : Should Sam Houston State be the #1 overall seed?

GSU Eagle
November 19th, 2011, 06:58 PM
I vote NO.

Engineer86
November 19th, 2011, 06:59 PM
No

No_Skill
November 19th, 2011, 07:00 PM
I believe a poll is in order.

TheRevSFA
November 19th, 2011, 07:01 PM
No.

BisonFan02
No

GSU_Alum08
no

TexasTerror
November 19th, 2011, 07:03 PM
No worse than No. 2 in my opinion... :)

DOME
November 19th, 2011, 07:04 PM
YES

Thundar
November 19th, 2011, 07:09 PM
No

bjtheflamesfan
November 19th, 2011, 07:11 PM
Since someone called for it...here is the poll

WileECoyote06
November 19th, 2011, 07:12 PM
#2. . .

bjtheflamesfan
November 19th, 2011, 07:13 PM
Poll created

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?100996-Should-Sam-Houston-State-be-the-1-overall-seed

TheRevSFA
November 19th, 2011, 07:15 PM
While undefeated, being from a 2nd tier conference and only having 2 wins against teams over .500 is not exactly showing you deserve the top spot over teams that might have losses, but have played much tougher schedules.

19Duke97
November 19th, 2011, 07:19 PM
No.

katstrapper
November 19th, 2011, 07:24 PM
There is like 5 threads on this one topic. How many threads do yall need to discuss? Do yall think the committee is reading this listening to your moaning and groaning about the only undefeated team in the country? The worst thing they could do is seed Sam Houston low.

putter
November 19th, 2011, 07:24 PM
I vote no.

Cleets
November 19th, 2011, 07:25 PM
The good news for Sam Houston is they'll get to show everybody just exactly how good they are (or aren't) on the field against the best of the FCS...

Points to keep in mind:
1) Sam Houston belongs among the top (period)
2) There are no gimmie games from here on out for anybody
3) in a few weeks we'll all know just how good the big talking teams really are

:D

katstrapper
November 19th, 2011, 07:28 PM
The good news for Sam Houston is they'll get to show everybody just exactly how good they are (or aren't) on the field against the best of the FCS...

Points to keep in mind:
1) Sam Houston belongs among the top (period)
2) There are no gimmie games from here on out for anybody
3) in a few weeks we'll all know just how good the big talking teams really are

:D

And I cant wait.

Ivytalk
November 19th, 2011, 07:29 PM
While undefeated, being from a 2nd tier conference and only having 2 wins against teams over .500 is not exactly showing you deserve the top spot over teams that might have losses, but have played much tougher schedules.

This.

bjtheflamesfan
November 19th, 2011, 07:31 PM
Seriously people? with as many no votes, only one person can actually articulate a reason for why they feel that way?

bisonnation
November 19th, 2011, 07:35 PM
They are a good team worth of a high ranking but the Southland Conference is a middle of the road conference. On paper it could be argued yes. My gut says no.

BisonFan02
November 19th, 2011, 07:39 PM
Seriously people? with as many no votes, only one person can actually articulate a reason for why they feel that way?

Because NDSU and GSU are better?

1a) GSU
1B) NDSU
^coin flip
3) SHSU
4) Towson
5) Montana/UNI (probably Montana)

Engineer86
November 19th, 2011, 07:40 PM
#2. . .

What school did you graduate from? "Yes or No?"

GSU Eagle
November 19th, 2011, 07:40 PM
Just look at the Southland this year. 1 good team, 1 pretty good team and everyone else. Beating a bottom feeder New Mexico team says nothing. The Southland is at best the 5th best conference this year. I have nothing against SHSU. They deserve to be seeded in the top 5 but not 1 or 2.

BisonBacker
November 19th, 2011, 07:43 PM
Absolulety NOT

Tod
November 19th, 2011, 07:43 PM

No. Many people can, laziness wins out. xnodx

BisonBacker
November 19th, 2011, 07:44 PM
Just look at the Southland this year. 1 good team, 1 pretty good team and everyone else. Beating a bottom feeder New Mexico team says nothing. The Southland is at best the 5th best conference this year. I have nothing against SHSU. They deserve to be seeded in the top 5 but not 1 or 2.

^^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^

polsongrizz
November 19th, 2011, 07:44 PM
no

GSU Eagle
November 19th, 2011, 07:46 PM
The GPI has the Southland as the #6 conference.

Engineer86
November 19th, 2011, 07:46 PM
How many times can you say it!

GSU EAGLES
November 19th, 2011, 07:48 PM
Hell no. They would be 7-4 in the SoCon or CAA

andy7171
November 19th, 2011, 07:50 PM
Great season for SHSU-Huntsville, but I have to give the real GSU the #1 seed.

eaglesrback
November 19th, 2011, 07:53 PM
SAM does not have the resume.

BisonBacker
November 19th, 2011, 07:55 PM
SOS is all that needs to be said about why SHSU will NOT get the #1 seed.

bjtheflamesfan
November 19th, 2011, 08:04 PM
Because NDSU and GSU are better?

1a) GSU
1B) NDSU
^coin flip
3) SHSU
4) Towson
5) Montana/UNI (probably Montana)

I meant a GOOD reason...just because you say NDSU and GSU are better is more personal conjecture, not a legitimate reason

bjtheflamesfan
November 19th, 2011, 08:04 PM
What school did you graduate from? "Yes or No?"

That was from a merged thread Engineer

BisonFan02
November 19th, 2011, 08:19 PM
I meant a GOOD reason...just because you say NDSU and GSU are better is more personal conjecture, not a legitimate reason

Fair enough. Both NDSU and GSU play tougher conference schedules in the MVFC and SoCon respectively (NDSU with one loss versus a talented YSU team and GSU with one loss on the road at Appy). NDSU has a BCS/FBS win and GSU put up 21 on Bama in their other loss. That's some of the reasons why I would put a 10-1 NDSU and a 9-2 GSU over SHSU.

Soar7
November 19th, 2011, 08:25 PM

Cleets
November 19th, 2011, 08:35 PM

there's certainly a chance of that happening

Professor Chaos
November 19th, 2011, 08:38 PM
The poll makes sense based on the thread title but the results will be kind of unfair to SHSU. Regardless of who ends up as the #1 seed there are several schools who can make legitimate cases for it. I'd put SHSU, GSU, and NDSU as the prime contenders with Montana and Towson getting a little consideration as well. So while 75% of voters may say that SHSU isn't the #1 seed, that doesn't necessarily mean that they're not the favorite.

bjtheflamesfan
November 19th, 2011, 08:58 PM
Fair enough. Both NDSU and GSU play tougher conference schedules in the MVFC and SoCon respectively (NDSU with one loss versus a talented YSU team and GSU with one loss on the road at Appy). NDSU has a BCS/FBS win and GSU put up 21 on Bama in their other loss. That's some of the reasons why I would put a 10-1 NDSU and a 9-2 GSU over SHSU.

Thank you

ChristopherBearkat
November 19th, 2011, 09:07 PM
Look at who we scheduled in the off-season though. All D1 teams with one of them being an FBS team. Yes, UNM is a pretty weak FBS team - but it's still FBS.

Western Illinois is a good example of the predicament. We signed a home and home with them. Last year they went to the playoffs. At the start of the season did we really think they'd be as weak as they were? No. Should we be penalized for that?

BisonFan02
November 19th, 2011, 09:12 PM
Look at who we scheduled in the off-season though. All D1 teams with one of them being an FBS team. Yes, UNM is a pretty weak FBS team - but it's still FBS.

Western Illinois is a good example of the predicament. We signed a home and home with them. Last year they went to the playoffs. At the start of the season did we really think they'd be as weak as they were? No. Should we be penalized for that?

No, but I think the conference schedule hurts just as much if not more.

Screamin_Eagle174
November 19th, 2011, 09:33 PM
SHSU will be this year's version of the 2007 #2 McNeese State. :D

Dallas Demon
November 19th, 2011, 09:42 PM

Your hatred against your arch-rival is showing. Most don't realize.

ngineer
November 19th, 2011, 09:45 PM
Irrelevant. I voted Yes, only because they deserve kudos for running the table which is tough regardless of conference. There is no difference between #1 and #2 when it comes to seeding as each is set at the opposite ends of the brackets. So it doesn't really matter.

bisononce
November 19th, 2011, 09:49 PM
No

blackfordpu
November 19th, 2011, 10:29 PM
Yes

a) 11-0
b) No sub division one opponents
c) win over FBS team
d) 11-0

MR. CHICKEN
November 19th, 2011, 10:31 PM
Irrelevant. I voted Yes, only because they deserve kudos for running the table which is tough regardless of conference. There is no difference between #1 and #2 when it comes to seeding as each is set at the opposite ends of the brackets. So it doesn't really matter.

16254.........AT LAST...UH VOICE O' REASON......#2.....IS DUH #1...IN DEY'RE BRACKET....xnodx....BRAWK!

appfan2008
November 19th, 2011, 11:04 PM
I voted yes bc I have them #1 in my top 25 but i am not sure they are the best team in the country... I hope App gets a shot at them!

bisonnation
November 19th, 2011, 11:11 PM
SHSU will be this year's version of the 2007 #2 McNeese State. :D

That's right everyone said they were the greatest team the southland had ever seen. .. Until they got beaten soundly

Dallas Demon
November 19th, 2011, 11:12 PM
Yes

a) 11-0
b) No sub division one opponents
c) win over FBS team
d) 11-0

This.

Bearkats94
November 19th, 2011, 11:16 PM
You all talk a lot when you haven't even seen us play, but you will see us soon. Come on to Texas.

ngineer
November 19th, 2011, 11:21 PM
16254.........AT LAST...UH VOICE O' REASON......#2.....IS DUH #1...IN DEY'RE BRACKET....xnodx....BRAWK!

Why ah tank, ah says ah tank ya fo' ya squawk of reason! Doodle-doo!..Disappointed we won't get to see the Hens this year. This year's edition has grown up since last December! (;-)

McNeese75
November 19th, 2011, 11:27 PM
That's right everyone said they were the greatest team the southland had ever seen. .. Until they got beaten soundly

That team was missing three preseason all-american players in that playoff game. I am sure that had nothing to do with getting beaten soundly so drop your top 3 players for the first round and let's see how well you do. That is history, SHSU deserves one of the top two seeds with their season. Bison lose to YSU who lost today. GSU loses to Alabama (who is looking forward to their rivalry game with Auburn next week) and the score was respectable but certainly not that close. No pass for playing them and then of course there is the loss to ASU who is good but not up to their recent standards.

Grizzlies82
November 19th, 2011, 11:29 PM
Sam Houston State will be the #1 seed and rightfully so. Winning them all does matter.

While I believe SH St goes into the playoffs as number one, I doubt they will end there.

PantherRob82
November 19th, 2011, 11:31 PM
11-0 is 11-0. Let someone prove they arent #1

TheRevSFA
November 19th, 2011, 11:34 PM
Your hatred against your arch-rival is showing. Most don't realize.

Hatred? Not quite. The SLC needs a team to go deep in the playoffs and sam has a shot at doing it, and I hope they do, but while you can argue that WIU was a let down, you knew UNM and UTSA were cupcake wins in the OOC schedule. Christ Sam was FAVORED by 6 against UNM at one point.

I do wish Sam the best, but I bet they get a 3.

rexreed
November 19th, 2011, 11:39 PM
YEP!

rexreed
November 19th, 2011, 11:43 PM
What happened to Mcneese? Did they lose to an UNRANKED opponent that year?

bisonnation
November 19th, 2011, 11:48 PM
That team was missing three preseason all-american players in that playoff game. I am sure that had nothing to do with getting beaten soundly so drop your top 3 players for the first round and let's see how well you do. That is history, SHSU deserves one of the top two seeds with their season. Bison lose to YSU who lost today. GSU loses to Alabama (who is looking forward to their rivalry game with Auburn next week) and the score was respectable but certainly not that close. No pass for playing them and then of course there is the loss to ASU who is good but not up to their recent standards.

great teams have depth and overcome it. Besides every team loses multiple starters throughout a season. You have to expect to have major injuries by the playoffs. Your backups are just as important and you don't get points for having an all star first team

McNeese75
November 19th, 2011, 11:58 PM
great teams have depth and overcome it. Besides every team loses multiple starters throughout a season. You have to expect to have major injuries by the playoffs. Your backups are just as important and you don't get points for having an all star first team

I did not say they lost three starters, I said they lost three preseason all-american players. How many of those are on the NDSU team and are they all still playing?

Sideline your top three impact players in the playoffs and lets see how well those second line backups do. Getting deep in the playoffs requires skill, being injury free as well as damn lucky. I am not positive and a Kat fan could clarify but I think SHSU is healthy and I know they are deep so maybe you will get lucky and draw a game with that SLC cupcake. If it happens, it will probably NOT be in the friendly confines of your domed stadium.

bisonnation
November 20th, 2011, 12:09 AM
I did not say they lost three starters, I said they lost three preseason all-american players. How many of those are on the NDSU team and are they all still playing?

Sideline your top three impact players in the playoffs and lets see how well those second line backups do. Getting deep in the playoffs requires skill, being injury free as well as damn lucky. I am not positive and a Kat fan could clarify but I think SHSU is healthy and I know they are deep so maybe you will get lucky and draw a game with that SLC cupcake. If it happens, it will probably NOT be in the friendly confines of your domed stadium.

Last years playoffs we lost our starting QB and played the injured backup. In the weeks before that we lost 2 starting o lineman. We also had 7 true freshman play and benched our team captain. Our o line had 2 true freshman... Still we figured it out and played better in the playoffs

Eastern Washington lost their best offensive and defense player and won the whole thing

Today DJ McNorton, our pre season all American only got 5 touches and his backup had 3 TDs. Good teams don't fall apart if they lose their 3 best players. They reload

TexasTerror
November 21st, 2011, 09:08 AM
SHSU head coach Willie Fritz not worried about entering the postseason undefeated...

http://www.kbtx.com/home/headlines/Coach_Fritz_Not_Worried_About_Entering_Post_Season _Undefeated_134236998.html

Bearkat-Backer
November 21st, 2011, 09:37 AM

We have the usual bumps and bruises, but can really use this week off. Our bye was in week 2 so they have been grinding it out for 10 straight weeks.