PDA

View Full Version : What schools offer free tickets to students?

Fordham
May 17th, 2006, 10:26 AM
Ours are $5 each for students.

Just curious as to which programs allow students to attend games for free. And have any schools moved from either having paid student attendance to offering free tickets to students recently (or vice-versa)?

ErkPeterson
May 17th, 2006, 10:28 AM
Ga Southern Students get in free with valid student ID. Playoff games their is a charge. Not sure now but I think it was around $12.00 when I was there.

colgate13
May 17th, 2006, 10:28 AM
Here.

Free admission to anyone with a Colgate ID (faculty, staff, students) plus deals for free tickets for immediate family members.

The only move we've made is charging the public for games that used to be free, like soccer or lacrosse.

grizband
May 17th, 2006, 10:41 AM
The Griz started to charge $7 a ticket in 2004, when the budget defecit came out, then bumped it down to $4 a student ticket last year. I am pretty sure that this year the student tickets will once again be free of charge.

bandl
May 17th, 2006, 10:49 AM
Tix are free for JMU students.

(This was for the 2005 season)
JMU Student Ticketing

JMU Students who are enrolled for the 2005-06 school year and have paid their student fees in full are eligible for free admission to all regular season home athletic events. Students must present their JAC Card for admission, for Family Day and Homecoming Football games advanced ticket pickup is required. Please note the following procedures specific to each sport.

Football
Regular Season Home Games
-Lockhaven 9/3, Delaware St. 9/17, Villanova 11/12, Towson 11/19

Students must present their JAC Card at Gate B or Gate C to receive free admission to the JMU Student Section
Student Guest Tickets are available for $10 – an allow JMU Students to purchase a ticket for a guest to sit in the JMU Student Section. Student-Guest Tickets can be purchased in advance at the Athletic Ticket Office or at the Gate on Game Day.
The JMU Student Section is general admission seating within sections 1-5 & 7+8 – view Stadium Diagram.
Family Day - Maine 10/8 Limited Tickets Available - Advance Pickup Required!
-All Seating Reserved

Pick up for Family Day begins 9/26/05
Students wishing to sit with their Family must be reserve their Student Ticket with their Families paid order.
Students wishing to attend the game and sit in the JMU Student Section (Sections 4+5) must pick up their student ticket at the Athletic Ticket Office during the week prior to the game.
JMU Students may enter at any gate and must present their JAC Card and Game Ticket for admission.
Homecoming – Richmond 10/29 Limited Tickets Available - Advance Pickup Required!

Pickup begins 10/10/05
JMU Students wishing to attend the game must pick up their student ticket at the Athletic Ticket Office during the week prior to the game.
The JMU Student Section is general admission seating within sections 1-5 & 7+8 – view Stadium Map.
JMU Students must enter Bridgeforth Stadium and Gate B or C and present their JAC Card and Game Ticket for admission.

ucdtim17
May 17th, 2006, 10:49 AM
It's free at Davis, but I think it's free like the bus rides on unitrans are "free" - students pay for it in fees

GannonFan
May 17th, 2006, 10:56 AM
Yeah, the same way at UD - students get in free but that's because there's an activity fee tacked on to tuition.

colgate13
May 17th, 2006, 11:05 AM
Well if you guys want to put it that way - there's a fee for using urinals too! A school charges what it needs to in order to make ends meet. Call it tuition, fees, room, etc....

TxState_GO_CATS!
May 17th, 2006, 11:08 AM
Students Free w/ TxSt ID

MYTAPPY
May 17th, 2006, 11:22 AM
App State students get in free with ID.

Appstate29
May 17th, 2006, 11:24 AM
Students get in for free at Appalachian, but I believe faculty and staff have to pay for their tickets. Playoffs are different, with everyone having to buy tickets.

Pards Rule
May 17th, 2006, 11:26 AM
I do believe LafCol students do too...Since we have not yet hosted a playoff game there is no history on the playoff tix cost

Pard4Life
May 17th, 2006, 11:34 AM
I do believe LafCol students do too...Since we have not yet hosted a playoff game there is no history on the playoff tix cost

Yup, all Lafayette students get in for free.

89Hen
May 17th, 2006, 11:38 AM
Well if you guys want to put it that way - there's a fee for using urinals too! A school charges what it needs to in order to make ends meet. Call it tuition, fees, room, etc....
There is an actual "Comprehensive Student Fee" and one of the things listed as a benefit are the tickets. Other things would be the Carpenter Sports Center that has a pool, bball courts, raquetball, gym, etc..

slostang
May 17th, 2006, 11:41 AM
Cal Poly students get in free.

cosmo here
May 17th, 2006, 11:54 AM

Playoff ticket prices are set by the NCAA, so they're the same at UNH, Texas State, Montana and everywhere in between.

colgate13
May 17th, 2006, 11:56 AM
There is an actual "Comprehensive Student Fee" and one of the things listed as a benefit are the tickets. Other things would be the Carpenter Sports Center that has a pool, bball courts, raquetball, gym, etc..

Like I said, a school charges what it needs to. You can choose to itemize every little thing or roll it all into a few. I believe it was a SUNY school that actually set up a 'paper fee' for all the printing off the internet done in the library. Now of course this is a real expense. You can choose to appear to be nickel and dime people with a 'fee' to cover it, or, you can just figure out what you need to run a school, decide what you want to charge for (most often, tuition, room, board and a fee for something, call it activity or comprehensive, whatever). There are some schools on the flip side of things (one of those Maine liberal arts chools if I recall correctly) that actually has just one charge. A 'comprehensive fee' for EVERYTHING. Just one charge on the bill...

My point is everything at a school costs something, whether there is an upfront cost or not.

colgate13
May 17th, 2006, 11:57 AM
Playoff ticket prices are set by the NCAA, so they're the same at UNH, Texas State, Montana and everywhere in between.

I believe there is a minimum set by the NCAA... a place like Montana or UD might be able to charge a premium, but I could be wrong.

SochorField
May 17th, 2006, 11:58 AM
Although UC Davis students get in free now....I'm hoping someday students will have to buy (or at least sign up for) a student football ticket package.

This would either be the result of increased demand...or it could create demand itself.

Hopefully the new stadium will increase student demand for tickets. Especially when we are playoff eligible the year after next.

Now that we are I-AA, I've seen an increase in student support for football (and hoops...see www.aggiestampede.com for a shot from the Stanford win). For home games (with students actually on campus) we get huge student attendence. Like for last year's Cal Poly game...that was a great atmosphere.

The new stadium is rumored to have 5,000 seats in the student section on the 50 yard line--next to the Band-Uh. That is AWESOME, no more endzone student seating. This is the way it should be at every school.

I am hoping for a student ticket package (like at Cal). But for now we get in free on gameday.

ccd494
May 17th, 2006, 12:00 PM
Every athletic event (hockey included) is free for Maine students. But this is supposedly part of the "Student Activity Fee" that every student pays on their bill.

DFW HOYA
May 17th, 2006, 12:07 PM
Student tickets are free at Georgetown for all sports except men's and women's basketball.

89Hen
May 17th, 2006, 12:38 PM
I believe there is a minimum set by the NCAA... a place like Montana or UD might be able to charge a premium, but I could be wrong.
I think UD charges students $5 for playoff tix.

colgate13
May 17th, 2006, 12:42 PM
I think UD charges students $5 for playoff tix.

If so UD is sending a check to the NCAA for the difference. Colgate's president has personally bought out a certain number of playoff tickets for the first XXX amount of students in the past, so I guess it's the same concept.

89Hen
May 17th, 2006, 12:46 PM
If so UD is sending a check to the NCAA for the difference.
Don't know. What is the NCAA price? We pay the same price for our seats in the playoffs so that may offset the low student prices. Plus, when there are 2,000 students and 15,000 others, and the attendance is given at 12,000... ;)

colgate13
May 17th, 2006, 12:55 PM
It's something like $12...double digit range.

ucdtim17
May 17th, 2006, 01:19 PM
The new stadium is rumored to have 5,000 seats in the student section on the 50 yard line--next to the Band-Uh. That is AWESOME, no more endzone student seating. This is the way it should be at every school.

That sounds great but I'm sure they'll find some way to bungle it

GeauxColonels
May 17th, 2006, 01:32 PM
Nicholls St. offers free admision to any and all sporting events with a valid student or faculty ID.

McTailGator
May 17th, 2006, 02:49 PM
Ours are $5 each for students.

Just curious as to which programs allow students to attend games for free. And have any schools moved from either having paid student attendance to offering free tickets to students recently (or vice-versa)?

McNeese Students get in free for all athletic events.

Football game passes must be picked up at the University bookstore prior to Friday afternoon at 6:PM before the game. If not they must pay $10.00 at the ticket office on game days. Students are pretty good about picking up their free passes before the deadline.

Students must pay $5.00 for any NCAA playoff event at McNeese.

P2TheB
May 17th, 2006, 03:00 PM
At UNI, students get in free. But it is included in their student fees.

SactoHornetFan
May 17th, 2006, 03:18 PM
Sac State students get in free with a valid One Card.

MACHIAVELLI
May 17th, 2006, 03:33 PM
THE ICON students get in free with ID.

catbob
May 17th, 2006, 05:26 PM
All sporting events are included in tuition at MSU.

As for charging for playoff games, who knows. :bang:

TexasTerror
May 17th, 2006, 05:57 PM
SHSU students get in free because they pay the student service fee, 50% of which goes to athletics...

They must pick up tickets by Friday PM if they want to sit on the home/pressbox side. If they just show up on game day, they have to sit on the visitor side.

For Couch Potato tickets, you better be in line on Monday morning...

CoastalFan2005
May 17th, 2006, 06:43 PM
CCU students get in free with a valid student ID for (I believe) every sport on campus for regular season games.

For postseason tournaments, I know that CCU gave away something like 400 student tickets for the first round Big South Men's Basketball Tournament here at home. For the 2 games at Winthrop, there was a fee, obviously (bus ride + ticket.) The same fee usually applies to away football games.

Frosty The Snowbuff
May 17th, 2006, 06:48 PM
As far as I know.....NSU students get in free with student ID for sporting events (barring home playoff games which we haven't had since 1998 when we had 3 straight (lost to UMASS in Semi's):doh: . Oh well...life goes on.

TexasTerror
May 17th, 2006, 06:50 PM
As far as I know.....NSU students get in free with student ID for sporting events (barring home playoff games which we haven't had since 1998 when we had 3 straight (lost to UMASS in Semi's):doh: . Oh well...life goes on.

No schools give free tickets to home playoff games unless the university purchases an amount themselves for distribution...

The NCAA "runs" home playoff games for all intensive purposes...atleast as football goes...

blackfordpu
May 17th, 2006, 06:55 PM
SHSU students get in free because they pay the student service fee, 50% of which goes to athletics...

They must pick up tickets by Friday PM if they want to sit on the home/pressbox side. If they just show up on game day, they have to sit on the visitor side.

For Couch Potato tickets, you better be in line on Monday morning...

The student section is fun if you know other people in it. Now that I am out of school I sit in the reserved section. Those seat backs are great!

DTSpider
May 18th, 2006, 08:36 PM
Students have "free" tckets for all sporting events and there is not student activity fee. However, considering that tuition has now been hiked up to roughly the GNP (gross national product) of some small countries I think that somewhere in there kids are paying to attend athletic events.

thirdgendin
May 18th, 2006, 09:13 PM
Furman allows students in for free, and in the playoffs, tickets are usually subsidized so that students still get in for free.

ngineer
May 18th, 2006, 10:53 PM
Lehigh Students get into all athletic events free with student I.D. However, for wrestling they have to sign up for the limited tickets available for those matches in 2100 seat Grace Hall.

TheBisonator
May 19th, 2006, 01:10 AM
NDSU students get in free with an ID swipe.

MarkCCU
May 19th, 2006, 09:00 AM
ccu students get 1 free ticket and additional tickets are $10