PDA

View Full Version : UNH's Cowell Stadium and the Floods

UNH_Alum_In_CT
May 16th, 2006, 02:05 PM
Not sure how much this topic is making the national news, but there are very bad floods occuring in NE MA, SE NH, South Central NH and York County ME. Primarily it is the Merrimack River watershed along with all the rivers that flow directly into the Atlantic and the Great Bay Estuary. A band of rain fed by an east wind off the Atlantic dumping rain north of Boston to south of Portland, ME has stalled. It has been pounding that area back inland to the west and northwest of Nashua, Manchester and Concord.

It was just announced that the UNH Commencement scheduled for this Saturday has been moved because Cowell Stadium is under water. I haven't heard anything more specific than that. Graduation will be held on Memorial Field (LAX and Field Hockey) which has an artificial surface along with a simulcast into the adjoining Whittemore Center (Ice Hockey Arena).

So far Durham, from what I've gathered, had avoided some of the problems that have hit nearby towns of Newmarket, Exeter, Dover, Somersworth and Rochester. Those towns all have a more significant river flowing through them toward Great Bay or the Piscataqua (river between Portsmouth, NH and Kittery, ME). But Durham has the Oyster River that flows through those woods behind the visitor's side bleachers. I'm guessing that is what has flooded Cowell.

Thankfully, he says with his fingers crossed, the heavy rains today are hitting the Connecticut River watershed rather than farther east. The CT River is just a little over flood stage and has a long ways to go before flooding is severe.

UNH Web Site Announcement (http://www.unh.edu/commencement/)

I don't know the location in the picture.

colgate13
May 16th, 2006, 02:47 PM
I've been following this closely. Nashua, Manchester and Concord are getting hit pretty bad. It looks like it is starting to recede, but there is some serious damage done here.

MplsBison
May 16th, 2006, 05:57 PM
Maybe FEMA will build UNH a new domed stadium.

RabidRabbit
May 16th, 2006, 06:50 PM
Maybe FEMA will build UNH a new domed stadium.

Not eligible, only reconstruct what exists. With Building code improvements only.

CCUCheer
May 16th, 2006, 07:19 PM
Yeah my family lives in York Maine and they said the flooding around there is crazy. Here are some links to sites with several pictures on them. The bottom one has more pics of my actual town. People are using boats to get around... yikes.

http://www.seacoastonline.com/news/flood2006/flood01.htm

http://www.innontheblues.com/newsletter/ybstateofemergency.htm

MR. CHICKEN
May 16th, 2006, 09:01 PM
Not sure how much this topic is making the national news, but there are very bad floods occuring in NE MA, SE NH, South Central NH and York County ME. Primarily it is the Merrimack River watershed along with all the rivers that flow directly into the Atlantic and the Great Bay Estuary. A band of rain fed by an east wind off the Atlantic dumping rain north of Boston to south of Portland, ME has stalled. It has been pounding that area back inland to the west and northwest of Nashua, Manchester and Concord.

It was just announced that the UNH Commencement scheduled for this Saturday has been moved because Cowell Stadium is under water. I haven't heard anything more specific than that. Graduation will be held on Memorial Field (LAX and Field Hockey) which has an artificial surface along with a simulcast into the adjoining Whittemore Center (Ice Hockey Arena).

!

So far Durham, from what I've gathered, had avoided some of the problems that have hit nearby towns of Newmarket, Exeter, Dover, Somersworth and Rochester. Those towns all have a more significant river flowing through them toward Great Bay or the Piscataqua (river between Portsmouth, NH and Kittery, ME). But Durham has the Oyster River that flows through those woods behind the visitor's side bleachers. I'm guessing that is what has flooded Cowell.

Thankfully, he says with his fingers crossed, the heavy rains today are hitting the Connecticut River watershed rather than farther east. The CT River is just a little over flood stage and has a long ways to go before flooding is severe.

UNH Web Site Announcement (http://www.unh.edu/commencement/)

I don't know the location in the picture.

WE'RE FOLLOWIN' IT NEW ENGLAND LAD...HOPIN' YA'LL GET THROUGH IT...AWK!

blukeys
May 16th, 2006, 09:27 PM
My brother lives in Mass and he is OK, but my prayers go out to all of our NE friends who have to worry about their life and property.

Golden Eagle
May 16th, 2006, 11:56 PM
On a positive note, your water polo team now has a larger capacity venue than any other water polo team in the country.