PDA

View Full Version : Central Arkansas backing out

darell1976
November 17th, 2011, 07:40 PM
http://siouxfb.areavoices.com/

We were notified this afternoon from a reliable source and thus have reason to believe that Central Arkansas has bought out their return trip to The Alerus Center next season, which was set for September 8th, 2012.
:(

After the Idaho State buyout debacle, we have to believe that the buyout is in the $125,000 – $175,000 range. Based on the amounts we have heard lately, we think it would cost at least that much to bring in another FCS opponent from a long distance away. Hopefully, the buyout is in that range. This is a huge chunk of change for an athletic department with a budget the size of UCA’s, which leads us to believe they will be getting a large payday to go play Arkansas or another SEC school in the geographical neighborhood. It’s interesting to note that UCA already is scheduled to open the 2012 season in Oxford, Mississippi to take on the Ole Miss Rebels in week 1.

Anybody want to face UND on Sept 8, 2012?

FargoBison
November 17th, 2011, 07:50 PM

NDSU is playing Colorado State that day, we have the next two weeks open though.

darell1976
November 17th, 2011, 07:55 PM
NDSU is playing Colorado State that day, we have the next two weeks open though.

UND's schedule was complete but UND has to replace UCA with an FCS team since we host SD School of Mines in week 1. This is the second team to back out of UND since joining DI in 2008. Idaho State backed out of a trip to GF after we beat them at their place now we beat UCA in 2009 they are backing out of return trip. At least now Idaho State will be REQUIRED to come to GF. Maybe UND can get another BSC team as a OOC game.

FargoBison
November 17th, 2011, 08:01 PM
Sad that UCA is dropping this game, their conference needs to be playing games like this. Shame on UCA if they are dropping this to play some DII cupcake at home.

darell1976
November 17th, 2011, 08:07 PM
Sad that UCA is dropping this game, their conference needs to be playing games like this. Shame on UCA if they are dropping this to play some DII cupcake at home.

This part of the quote seems to think they are scheduling another FBS team (they are scheduled to play Ole Miss already).

Hopefully, the buyout is in that range. This is a huge chunk of change for an athletic department with a budget the size of UCA’s, which leads us to believe they will be getting a large payday to go play Arkansas or another SEC school in the geographical neighborhood.

McNeese75
November 17th, 2011, 09:15 PM

Big talk for the fan of a team whose schedule was filled with SLC teams in the transition years when you could not find anyone to play.

BEAR
November 17th, 2011, 09:19 PM
This is news to me! UCA plays Ole Miss next year...and I guess someone has inside info as to picking up another FBS team. Nothing the fans like more than losing 2 to FBS teams and having to run the table for a hopeful shot at the playoffs.

What I wonder about is what caused or possibly caused UCA to not play the game. An opening on another's team schedule had to have come open starting the carousel. Guess we'll find out more later.

FargoBison
November 17th, 2011, 09:19 PM
Big talk for the fan of a team whose schedule was filled with SLC teams in the transition years when you could not find anyone to play.

What are you talking about? I said this game should happen, for the record I'll gladly watch NDSU play any SLC team.

TheRevSFA
November 18th, 2011, 07:18 AM
I doubt UCA plays Arkansas, as Arkansas won't play any FCS school in the state.

TexasTerror
November 18th, 2011, 08:20 AM
Before this move... this is the slate that UCA was looking at...

9-1... at Ole Miss
9-8... at North Dakota
11-17... EASTERN ILLINOIS

I wonder if Ole Miss had to change their schedule in light of the comings and goings with the SEC and offered to 'buy' UCA out of their game against UND and help them find another opponent?

kevin1633
November 18th, 2011, 08:45 AM
Nickname/logo issues a factor?

F'N Hawks
November 18th, 2011, 09:10 AM
Are there any websites that list the future schedules of FCS teams?

BEAR
November 18th, 2011, 09:18 AM

Black bears vs. Black bears. OR is it rebels? xlolx

darell1976
November 18th, 2011, 09:26 AM

UND has no problems with UCA's nickname and logo, just like they had no problems with ours when we played 2 years ago.

UCABEARS75
November 18th, 2011, 09:53 AM
Adding Murray State instead of ND.

I wanted to come up there but this was a good move financially for us I have been told.

Helped our schedule down the road also.

TexasTerror
November 18th, 2011, 09:58 AM

I wanted to come up there but this was a good move financially for us I have been told.

Is Murray State a home-and-home? Starts in Conway or on the road?

darell1976
November 18th, 2011, 10:00 AM

Screwed ours. There should be a ban on backing out of games. If you can't return the game don't agree to home and home games.

BEAR
November 18th, 2011, 10:07 AM
Screwed ours. There should be a ban on backing out of games. If you can't return the game don't agree to home and home games.

I agree! I was looking forward to that game and seeing a part of the country I haven't yet. But on the $ side of it, I guess contracts with escape clauses are there for a reason, even if fans of both teams don't like it the fans really don't have a say in what the athletic admin do. Sucks. I really wanted to go.

TexasTerror
November 18th, 2011, 10:08 AM

Schedules are altered for various reasons - particularly in light of conference realignment. We've seen several schools feel the implications at the FCS level of the FBS dominoes rolling. A few games featuring SLC foes and UTSA have been pushed back or completely removed after they expedited their FBS move-up. I know the Big 12/SEC scheduling will have some implications too...

As long as the school handles their end of the contract and in a timely manner with proper communication to inform the school they are breaking the contract with, I got no problem with it. Key word is proper communication, Prairie View A&M! PVAMU failed to notify SHSU, who found out from a press release the school issued in April of the year we were to play.

UCABEARS75
November 18th, 2011, 10:09 AM

Fully agree. We have been backed out on by UAPB (twice I think) and Tn-Martin in our six year transition.

Play at Murray next year TT, not sure about all the rest. AD Brad Teague says it was good for us but I truly wanted to return game with ND.

With the almight dollar this scheduling game really sucks.

darell1976
November 18th, 2011, 10:21 AM
Schedules are altered for various reasons - particularly in light of conference realignment. We've seen several schools feel the implications at the FCS level of the FBS dominoes rolling. A few games featuring SLC foes and UTSA have been pushed back or completely removed after they expedited their FBS move-up. I know the Big 12/SEC scheduling will have some implications too...

As long as the school handles their end of the contract and in a timely manner with proper communication to inform the school they are breaking the contract with, I got no problem with it. Key word is proper communication, Prairie View A&M! PVAMU failed to notify SHSU, who found out from a press release the school issued in April of the year we were to play.

They did do that, and unlike when Idaho State backout on us we shouldn't have a tough time finding a replacement since we will be in a major conference and playoff eligible. Where ISU backed out we were new to the FCS and stuggling to find 7 OOC games. UND now has 8 conference games 1 FBS game and SD Mines (NAIA) on the schedule. It is vital that we get another FCS team. Maybe a team from the MVFC like UNI (I am sure they are looking for payback from the 2006 loss to UND at home), South Dakota could be a chance (but would mean back to back trips to UND), or maybe SIU (homecoming for Dale Lennon).

TheRevSFA
November 18th, 2011, 10:28 AM
If we weren't already going to SMU and MT State I'd love for SFA to play UND up there.

Hopefully that game happens at some point.

darell1976
November 18th, 2011, 10:30 AM
If we weren't already going to SMU and MT State I'd love for SFA to play UND up there.

Hopefully that game happens at some point.

Payback for this:
http://espn.go.com/ncf/recap?gameId=292692617

TheRevSFA
November 18th, 2011, 10:32 AM
Payback for this:
http://espn.go.com/ncf/recap?gameId=292692617

Ha...I just want to go to ND and knock a state off of my "States I have not visited" list. But yeah..I think both teams would put on a hell of a show. 2013 perhaps?

darell1976
November 18th, 2011, 10:34 AM
Ha...I just want to go to ND and knock a state off of my "States I have not visited" list. But yeah..I think both teams would put on a hell of a show. 2013 perhaps?

Only if a team backs out UND's 2013 schedule is full... OOC against Montana, Valpo, and South Dakota State. UND has 2 spots to join Robert Morris on our 2014 OOC schedule maybe something can workout then. Or we will see what happens in the playoffs.;)

LakesBison
November 18th, 2011, 11:16 AM
ha ha, even ARKANSAS people dont want to goto grand forks. now that's low.

I dont know why they wouldn't want an easy victory, but this is just funny now, Im sure a NAIA team will be available to play in the potato shed.

and YES it's because of the nickname, another morale victory for the nickname supporters! yeah!

darell1976
November 18th, 2011, 01:38 PM
ha ha, even ARKANSAS people dont want to goto grand forks. now that's low.

I dont know why they wouldn't want an easy victory, but this is just funny now, Im sure a NAIA team will be available to play in the potato shed.

and YES it's because of the nickname, another morale victory for the nickname supporters! yeah!

Lakes you are clueless aren't you. It has nothing to do with the nickname at all, if so then why did they agree to a home and home in 2009. I wouldn't laugh since GSU would rather play a DII team than travel to Fargo...now thats low. As for the easy victory ask NDSU about easy victories in the Alerus Center...oh thats right they never won there. Maybe UCA is looking for an easy victory and they know UND is NO easy victory.

Vitojr130
November 18th, 2011, 01:53 PM
UND has no problems with UCA's nickname and logo, just like they had no problems with ours when we played 2 years ago.

2 years ago the NCAA did not recommend teams to stop playing UND...

darell1976
November 18th, 2011, 02:00 PM
2 years ago the NCAA did not recommend teams to stop playing UND...

If UCA had a problem with UND's nickname they would have said that was the reason. Plus UND is retiring the name at the end of the year so this point (brought up only by Bison fans) is stupid.

Yote 53
November 18th, 2011, 02:01 PM
They did do that, and unlike when Idaho State backout on us we shouldn't have a tough time finding a replacement since we will be in a major conference and playoff eligible. Where ISU backed out we were new to the FCS and stuggling to find 7 OOC games. UND now has 8 conference games 1 FBS game and SD Mines (NAIA) on the schedule. It is vital that we get another FCS team. Maybe a team from the MVFC like UNI (I am sure they are looking for payback from the 2006 loss to UND at home), South Dakota could be a chance (but would mean back to back trips to UND), or maybe SIU (homecoming for Dale Lennon).

Sorry, too late. SD is full for next year. We have @Northwestern, Colgate, and @Montana (unconfirmed) to go along with 8 MVFC games. We offered time and again to continue the series and we kept getting shot down by UND. Frankly, I'm not upset that UCA cancelled on you given your refusal to schedule us instead opting to play the South Dakota School of Mines in 2012. Oh yeah, forgot to add, UCA backed out on a return game with SD as well a few years back. Guess they have an issue with the Dakotas.

RabidRabbit
November 18th, 2011, 02:05 PM
SDSU had them come to Brookings first.

dgtw
November 18th, 2011, 02:08 PM
The SEC is sticking with an eight game conference schedule for next season so Ole Miss will not be dropping any OOC games from their schedule.

MTfan4life
November 18th, 2011, 02:17 PM
If UCA had a problem with UND's nickname they would have said that was the reason. Plus UND is retiring the name at the end of the year so this point (brought up only by Bison fans) is stupid.

Maybe not if they get that stupid petition signed, and get it on the ballot next year. These ridiculous loopholes they're coming up with are getting rather annoying. The NCAA gave them simple guidelines: get both reservations to approve. Why don't all these lawyers and such sue Standing Rock for not approving the nickname? Wouldn't that make more sense? Unless if they're all just looking for some more lazy money. The Spirit Lake has been representing some wild contradictions the last year or so.

BisonLakes
November 18th, 2011, 03:08 PM

Didn't Hofstra do the same thing with their nickname? Where's their program now?

darell1976
November 18th, 2011, 04:14 PM
Didn't Hofstra do the same thing with their nickname? Where's their program now?
http://www.myplan.com/colleges/undergraduate-colleges/hofstra-university/articles-191649.html?sid=4530fd3e36add4e65671297845048e3f

Hofstra University is a coeducational institution located in Hempstead, Long Island, New York (USA) that was founded in 1935 with the estate of William (Willy) and Kate Hofstra. Hofstra University's official nickname is the Flying Dutchmen (or Dutchmen or just Dutch); the school's increasingly used informal nickname is now Pride, which started out referring to the feeling, but has become linked to the usage as a group of lions, starting when a pair of lions became the school's mascots in the late 1980s.

There is nothing that said Hofstra retired their name due to scheduling conflicts. The only school that did threatened to back out of a home and home series was South Dakota State...which now is not a problem with the repeal of the state law. The petitions that MTfan4life is referring to needs 27,000 signatures to put it on a ballot for the whole state to vote on but can still get overturned in the ND legislature by a 2/3 majority. It won't pass. The Sioux name will be gone on Dec 31, 2011. Money has to be the reason UCA backed out or else if it was the name it would have been brought up by anti-nickname supporters and the University.

BEAR
November 18th, 2011, 04:20 PM
I've never heard a word from UCA administration about anything concerning the nickname. They couldn't care less. There was another reason UCA cancelled that game and we will find out soon enough. I'll ask the AD on Sunday when I see him for the watch party. Teague is a good guy and we'll see if he answers.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 18th, 2011, 04:26 PM
Are there any websites that list the future schedules of FCS teams?

CSJ will be putting up their 2012 Schedules soon.

darell1976
December 5th, 2011, 04:11 PM
UND has found a replacement for the backed out UCA game on Sept 8th, 2012......Portland State!!! It will be a non-conference game. So now UND has 11 games back on the slate but only 10 of them are DI teams. Still need to get rid of that SD Mines game. Great job to AD Brian Faison in lining up PSU. Thank you Vikings!!

TexasTerror
December 5th, 2011, 04:16 PM
UND has found a replacement for the backed out UCA game on Sept 8th, 2012......Portland State!!! It will be a non-conference game. So now UND has 11 games back on the slate but only 10 of them are DI teams. Still need to get rid of that SD Mines game. Great job to AD Brian Faison in lining up PSU. Thank you Vikings!!

A Big Sky match-up "out of conference"... very SWAC-like! ;)

darell1976
December 5th, 2011, 04:20 PM
A Big Sky match-up "out of conference"... very SWAC-like! ;)

UND hosts Montana in 2013 in a non-conference game too (except that one is a back end of a home and home). I think as tough scheduling is you will see more non-conference games against teams in their own conference. With the addition of South Dakota...the MVFC could do the same thing.

Griz4ever
December 5th, 2011, 07:22 PM

I dobelieve we are playing App State that weekend..Start of our home and home this year..

LakesBison
December 5th, 2011, 07:45 PM
Who da hell.cares

344Johnson
December 5th, 2011, 07:57 PM
UND hosts Montana in 2013 in a non-conference game too (except that one is a back end of a home and home). I think as tough scheduling is you will see more non-conference games against teams in their own conference. With the addition of South Dakota...the MVFC could do the same thing.

More and more schools are trickling into the FCS. One would imagine the teams with decent budgets will find ways to get OOC teams for OOC games. I can't imagine it being overly difficult for the Montanas, NDSUs, UNI's, SoCon's, CAA's of the FCS to have too much trouble finding people to come play.

slostang
December 5th, 2011, 08:42 PM
Who da hell.cares

Obviously you do seeing that you clicked on this thread.

UND to play Portland State on Sept. 8th in Grand Forks in a non-conference game. This is a replacement for UCA.

Hambone
December 5th, 2011, 09:38 PM
Obviously you do seeing that you clicker on this thread.

UND to play Portland State on Sept. 8th in Grand Forks in a non-conference game. This is a replacement for UCA.

Great pick up on short notice. Will be a great challenge for the Sioux. Now if someone can have Sept 1 open to replace that pesky SD Mines game....

BEAR
December 6th, 2011, 08:07 AM
Great pick up on short notice. Will be a great challenge for the Sioux. Now if someone can have Sept 1 open to replace that pesky SD Mines game....

Short notice? Explain. xlolx

Twentysix
December 6th, 2011, 11:22 AM
Less than a year, how the hell do you guys do your schedule? NDSU's OOC schedule has games up until 2015 or 16.

darell1976
December 6th, 2011, 04:26 PM
Less than a year, how the hell do you guys do your schedule? NDSU's OOC schedule has games up until 2015 or 16.

Same with UND. Most schools like to schedule in advance...its one less thing to worry about when the season comes up. UND now has both 2012, and 2013 schedules complete. 2013...ALL non FBS DI schedule with 7 home games. Now that is a favorable schedule!!xthumbsupx

Lakes Bison
December 6th, 2011, 04:36 PM

Like the world revolves around ndsu.xsalutexxsalutex

Grizzaholic
December 6th, 2011, 04:39 PM
Like the world revolves around ndsu.xsalutexxsalutex

It does. Have you ever met lakesbison/twenty six or the infamous LakesBison? Or is it Lakes Bi-Son? I always get them confused.

BEAR
December 6th, 2011, 04:43 PM
I'm sure most DI schools do their schedule 2 or 3 years in advance but ALWAYS have a swing week in their schedule in case of cancellations. At the rate conferences are changing members, it's a necessity...i.e. Texas State leaving the Southland. Plus I believe UCA paid the penalty price to cancel. I don't consider that short notice but to each his own. I guess it's harder for Dakota schools to get opponents than it is for southland teams. Glad that you did though.

darell1976
December 6th, 2011, 04:52 PM
I'm sure most DI schools do their schedule 2 or 3 years in advance but ALWAYS have a swing week in their schedule in case of cancellations. At the rate conferences are changing members, it's a necessity...i.e. Texas State leaving the Southland. Plus I believe UCA paid the penalty price to cancel. I don't consider that short notice but to each his own. I guess it's harder for Dakota schools to get opponents than it is for southland teams. Glad that you did though.

There is a very lack of teams the more north and west you go. It is tougher for Dakota schools. But it all worked out in the end. Now UND fans want that NAIA game gone as well. Some have even thought about a road game just as long as its a DI counter team.

BEAR
December 6th, 2011, 05:11 PM
Heck, I even planned on the trip up to North Dakota. Part of the country I haven't seen yet. Was hoping to make it to the Montana game too but work forced that issue...with only 2 weeks advance notice. xlolx

darell1976
December 6th, 2011, 05:12 PM
Heck, I even planned on the trip up to North Dakota. Part of the country I haven't seen yet. Was hoping to make it to the Montana game too but work forced that issue...with only 2 weeks advance notice. xlolx

You can plan to come to ND when we get into the playoffs in 11 months!!

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 6th, 2011, 05:14 PM

Whoooo there darell.....UND has big plans next year?

darell1976
December 6th, 2011, 05:17 PM
Whoooo there darell.....UND has big plans next year?

Its called UND football fever. Sioux fans caught it when we won the GWFC title. Plus I need something to cause a reaction....how did I do.xlolx

BEAR
December 6th, 2011, 05:18 PM

Sounds good. But I think the SLC graveyard is located somewhere around the state of Montana. xlolx

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 6th, 2011, 05:28 PM
Its called UND football fever. Sioux fans caught it when we won the GWFC title. Plus I need something to cause a reaction....how did I do.xlolx

Pretty good....xthumbsupx

I think Grizz and Cat fans are going to be surprised with UND....if Muss sticks to playing good defense and running the ball....good ol smash-mouth FB. UND is already a top 5 BSC team now....we'll see what happens next year.

NDB
December 6th, 2011, 05:53 PM

It is to GSU's AD, unless it's GSU making the change.

Boom.