PDA

View Full Version : Truth Is Out - OVC Not Pursuing Expansion

TexasTerror
November 17th, 2011, 06:50 AM
FLORENCE, Ala. – The University of North Alabama was informed this afternoon that the Ohio Valley Conference is not pursuing plans for expansion at this time. UNA and one other institution were being considered by the OVC as part of an expansion plan.

Following this news, UNA will examine and evaluate other options concerning a move to the NCAA Division I. UNA currently competes in the Gulf South Conference of the NCAA Division II.

http://www.una.edu/pressroom/detail.php?id=481&date=2011-11-16

dgtw
November 17th, 2011, 06:52 AM
At least we won't be burdened with another non-football member in Northern Kentucky. I still don't see the appeal of having non-football playing members.

TexasTerror
November 17th, 2011, 06:56 AM
Division II MB thread - http://www.d2messageboard.com/showthread.php?45895-OVC-Not-expanding

TexasTerror
November 17th, 2011, 07:01 AM
Another article.

If the University of North Alabama is going to move to NCAA Division I, it won’t be as a member of the Ohio Valley Conference.

The Lions were informed Wednesday the OVC is no longer pursuing expansion at this time. That decision leaves UNA in a lurch because it cannot make a move without an invitation in hand from a Division I conference.

Those options now seem limited. Part of the appeal of the OVC, based in Nashville, was its geographical location to the Shoals.

Other possibilities include the Southern Conference and the Southland Conference, but neither has expressed an interest to expand and neither have the geographic appeal of the OVC.

http://www.timesdaily.com/stories/OVC-decides-not-to-expland,184497

dgtw
November 17th, 2011, 07:03 AM
LOL at the guy who suggested UNA apply to the SWAC.

I guess this pretty much ends their dream of moving to the FCS. I don't think the SoCon would be a realistic option for them from both a geographic and competitive standpoint.

TTUEagles
November 17th, 2011, 07:59 AM
At least we won't be burdened with another non-football member in Northern Kentucky. I still don't see the appeal of having non-football playing members.

I agree but, unfortunately, I think we are in the minority...I always have the feeling that basketball is the piority in this league. Maybe it's just the majority of vocal OVC fans are Murray St. fans.

dgtw
November 17th, 2011, 08:18 AM
I really don't know what the feeling of the OVC fans is. I'm just a Jax State fan by marriage. I grew up in Florence, so I still follow UNA and was hoping they'd get in the OVC.

I did check out the OVC message board a couple weeks ago and it did seem to be more of a basketball place. A thread where everyone was excited about Belmont gave the impression they are more basketball oriented.

I just think a league where everyone isn't playing football causes friction. Look at the Big East. Also, a smaller league gives you home-and-home basketball games against everyone every season.

TTUEagles
November 17th, 2011, 08:43 AM
I grew up a UNA fan as well but, have also been an OVC fan since birth - attending & playing for TTU. I totally agree about the conference being more "balanced" - I love college basketball, too. - I just can't understand why you can't be successful in both . UNA has a decent basketball history, too...Obviously, Murray St. "hangs it's hat" on basketball - and I get that - especially in a basketball state such as KY, and given MSU's great history. But, I still think Murray St. has the best team in the OVC this year and they are showing you can be successful in both. IF the OVC expands, it should be with schools that can contribute in all major sports.

The Eagle's Cliff
November 17th, 2011, 11:33 AM
I wonder if UNA realizes they'll no longer get FSU's academically challenged players once they move to DI?

TTUEagles
November 17th, 2011, 12:14 PM
I wonder if UNA realizes they'll no longer get FSU's academically challenged players once they move to DI?

+1
It gets a little harder to get 20-30 D-1 transfers doesn't it?

Golden Eagle
November 17th, 2011, 03:19 PM
I always have the feeling that basketball is the piority in this league.

And why wouldn't it be? It's what we do best, always has been.

TTUEagles
November 17th, 2011, 04:30 PM
And why wouldn't it be? It's what we do best, always has been.

I don't believe in the whole idea of spending less on football to get basketball better...I think there are plenty of ways to excel at both. I've never thought the OVC gave a damn about football over the past 20 years, until maybe recently. I don't know about the OVC doing basketball so well. Probably a lot to do with several institutions in a basketball-crazed state. OVC basketball has really been about Murray and APSU - with everyone else far behind. Morehead and Murray have had some good success in the Big Dance recently - but, I think it's a more watered down field than it used to be... TTU's men's basketball hasn't exactly lit it up nationally over it's entire history. Women's basketball, maybe, but, that doesn't really get everyone going does it?

TexasTerror
November 17th, 2011, 06:37 PM
Northern Kentucky feels confident that they'll find a home... what league would that be?

Votruba ended his announcement by saying the university has been contacted by multiple Division I conferences that have expressed a strong interest in adding NKU and that over the coming days and weeks, the university will continue to explore its options to determine which league makes the most sense for it.

Cole also said NKU has received strong interests from other conferences and the university has reason to believe that it will be able to move very quickly in moving forward in determining which conference makes the most sense and then moving quickly to secure an invitation.

“We still think we will be able to do it before the end of the calendar year,” Cole said. “So we are talking about a month and a half but we think we can get it done and we are very excited.”

http://www.thenortherner.com/?p=11489

kperk014
November 17th, 2011, 08:06 PM

Shows how much you DON'T know.

kperk014
November 17th, 2011, 08:51 PM
http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2011/11/ovcs_decision_not_to_expand_wo.html

FargoBison
November 17th, 2011, 09:23 PM
Northern Kentucky feels confident that they'll find a home... what league would that be?

Summit League, they are a great fit and we have an opening with ORU leaving.

Sly Fox
November 17th, 2011, 10:13 PM
I wonder if the Big South is a possibility for UNA.

TexasTerror
November 18th, 2011, 09:41 AM
Eying the SoCon and Southland...

Pierce said he and others at UNA viewed the Ohio Valley Conference as the best fit, but “there’s nothing in our resolution that says it has to be the OVC.”

“We have other options we need to explore like the (Southland Conference) or we could stay in the Gulf South Conference until something else develops,” he said. “Our future, in my opinion, is still in Division I.”

The two closest Football Championship Subdivision conferences are the Southland and Southern conferences. The Southland is based largely in Louisiana and Texas and has eight football-playing members, including former UNA rivals Central Arkansas and Nicholls State.

The Southern Conference consists of 12 teams scattered throughout Tennessee, North Carolina, South Carolina, Alabama and Georgia. Current members are Appalachian State, College of Charleston, The Citadel, Davidson, Elon, Furman, Georgia Southern, UNC Greensboro, Samford, Chattanooga, Western Carolina and Wofford.

http://www.timesdaily.com/stories/Back-to-square-one-for-Division-I-move,184554

kperk014
November 18th, 2011, 12:26 PM
If UNA had a home for its non-football sports (Atlantic Sun, perhaps) and slotted into the Big South or Southland for football-only, that'd be one thing.

While not ideal, that would be the most feasible move if the OVC's decision becomes permanent.

TexasTerror
November 18th, 2011, 01:11 PM
While not ideal, that would be the most feasible move if the OVC's decision becomes permanent.

What kind of travel is involved in the Atlantic Sun for your institution? I'm not as familiar with the geography. Seems like substantial travel into Florida though...

kperk014
November 18th, 2011, 01:15 PM
What kind of travel is involved in the Atlantic Sun for your institution? I'm not as familiar with the geography. Seems like substantial travel into Florida though...

About like David Lipscomb in Nashville. They are closer to the Carolina schools and we are closer to the Florida and Georgia schools.

dgtw
November 18th, 2011, 02:39 PM
Sounds like UNA and NKU are both trying to put the same positive spin on this, but this has to be a kick in the gut for both of them. NKU is better off since they don't need to be in a league that offers football and would have more options, I presume. Although i'm not familiar with all the mid-major conferences in that area of the country.

I'd prefer UNA have all their sports in one league than to have football isolated.

TTUEagles
November 18th, 2011, 02:45 PM
I know that on ovcfans.com most posters are ripping the OVC for "throwing away" the conference - most are PISSED that NKU was turned down. One poster blames Tennessee as a state and thinks the Kentucky schools should break off on their own because rumor has it that JSU, TSU, & UTM are the lone naysayers in letting NKU in...Most don't seem to care about UNA one way or another (I'm assuming that they think UNA doesn't upgrade b'ball but, NKU has a great new arena, has been very successful, etc.). The more I think about it, I'm personally kind of indifferent on it...I see the basketball guys wanting to upgrade their sport and I agree, but, I also want the football side to get equal "billing" and upgrade as well - if you are going to expand. I think UNA would do that in year 1.

kperk014
November 18th, 2011, 02:46 PM
Sounds like UNA and NKU are both trying to put the same positive spin on this, but this has to be a kick in the gut for both of them. NKU is better off since they don't need to be in a league that offers football and would have more options, I presume. Although i'm not familiar with all the mid-major conferences in that area of the country.

I'd prefer UNA have all their sports in one league than to have football isolated.

Same here and I also think too many people are thinking the OVC said we will NEVER expand. I think it's just temporary. Just look at FBS and DII. Conference realignment is going crazy. I don't believe FCS will be immune to this.

Maroons
November 18th, 2011, 05:00 PM
I know that on ovcfans.com most posters are ripping the OVC for "throwing away" the conference - most are PISSED that NKU was turned down. One poster blames Tennessee as a state and thinks the Kentucky schools should break off on their own because rumor has it that JSU, TSU, & UTM are the lone naysayers in letting NKU in...Most don't seem to care about UNA one way or another (I'm assuming that they think UNA doesn't upgrade b'ball but, NKU has a great new arena, has been very successful, etc.). The more I think about it, I'm personally kind of indifferent on it...I see the basketball guys wanting to upgrade their sport and I agree, but, I also want the football side to get equal "billing" and upgrade as well - if you are going to expand. I think UNA would do that in year 1.

I want the OVC to be a top dog in football again as much as any body, but at some point, you have to face reality and do what is best for the institution. Whether the OVC were to have a football rebirth or not, FCS football is virtually invisible. Furthermore, it is a tremendous expense. Non-BCS conference schools without football are really at an advantage going forward.

I don't know much about UNA, but NKU is a school that has been on a ridiculously upward trajectory. They may have been a branch of the UK Community College system decades ago, but now they have come into their own as a robust institution with great facilities, success in multiple sports, and a law school. Why would we turn our nose at that?

kperk014
November 18th, 2011, 05:57 PM
[QUOTE=TexasTerror;1726373
Wouldn't the GSC travel be easier for student-athlete welfare than an Atlantic Sun? Wasn't that one of the issues brought up. Out of conference will be easier (presumably) as far as travel, but conference is the 'bulk' of the schedule.[/QUOTE]

If we want to stay in the dying D2 and have to travel to play Texas teams? No. Tennessee, Georgia, Florida and the Carolinas are much closer than Texas.

Redhawk2010
November 18th, 2011, 06:08 PM
According to a published report in the Cincinnati Enquirer and other sources with knowledge of the decision, eight of 11 OVC presidents voted to expand. Sources indicate the three dissenting votes were cast by Tennessee members.

http://www.timesdaily.com/stories/Back-to-square-one-for-Division-I-move,184554

This is for UNA. I have read that the Kentucky schools voted IN FAVOR of NKU getting in but only after knowing that their votes would not be enough to admit them. Apparently done for politics..

dgtw
November 18th, 2011, 07:51 PM
Some of the people on the OVC board act like they rejected Duke as a member.

UNA has a pretty good basketball history themselves.

JSUBison
November 18th, 2011, 08:00 PM

Summit League would love to have NKU, I'm willing to bet....I know I'd like them in conference.

TexasTerror
December 5th, 2011, 09:46 AM
If NKU to the A-Sun?

ESTERO — Northern Kentucky University athletic director Scott Eaton told the Daily News on Saturday that although his school also is looking at the Summit League, he believes NKU would be a very good fit for the Atlantic Sun Conference, of which Florida Gulf Coast University is a member.

As was FGCU five years ago when it joined the A-Sun, NKU is a Division II program looking to move up.

“Florida Gulf Coast has just done an outstanding job in their reclassification process,” Eaton said. “All their programs ... especially the women’s basketball program qualifying for and actually hosting WNIT games during all four years (the Eagles actually hosted during two of those years) of that transition, that’s pretty darned impressive.”

http://www.naplesnews.com/news/2011/dec/03/fgcu-northern-kentucky-ad-sees--sun-good-fit/

TexasTerror
December 7th, 2011, 05:42 PM
More on NKU.

Northern Kentucky University will announce tomorrow that it is joining the Atlantic Sun Conference as it moves its athletics from Division II to Division I. The change is expected to take place for next season.

NKU spokesman Chris Cole said he couldn’t comment on the conference affiliation, but he confirmed that NKU has set a board meeting for 1:30 p.m. tomorrow to discuss intercollegiate athletics.

http://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/news/2011/12/07/nku-to-join-division-i-atlantic-sun.html

TexasTerror
December 30th, 2011, 08:00 AM
UNA update.

School officials said at their December meeting they had secured pledges for approximately $1.5 million toward the move. They also said they will continue to pursue Division I status despite not having a conference invitation.

http://www.timesdaily.com/stories/Trustees-division-decision-brings-opposition-from-students-faculty,185888

dgtw
May 7th, 2012, 09:24 PM
If Appy and GSU go to the Sun Belt, would UNA and NKU be fits for the Southern Conference?

dgtw
September 13th, 2012, 09:44 PM
I didn't want to start a new thread for this and couldn't find any of the other threads on UNA.

http://www.florala.net/news/article_a063d666-fb76-11e1-8f90-0019bb30f31a.html

The UNA board of trustees unanimously approved a resolution to push back the Division I transition until 2014 during their quarterly meeting this morning.

I have a feeling this may be the beginning of the end for their dream of moving up to DI. They wanted the OVC and if they had any other real options they'd be going for that.

Cocky
September 14th, 2012, 06:54 AM
The OVC should have already offered.

MplsBison
September 14th, 2012, 08:02 AM
LOL at the guy who suggested UNA apply to the SWAC.

I guess this pretty much ends their dream of moving to the FCS. I don't think the SoCon would be a realistic option for them from both a geographic and competitive standpoint.

UNA is 120 mi to Samford and 170 mi to UT Chatty.

EDIT* Didn't realize this was a long dead thread being brought back. Threads should not be able to be brought back after ___ months. Come on!

Laker
September 14th, 2012, 11:31 AM
UNA is 120 mi to Samford and 170 mi to UT Chatty.

EDIT* Didn't realize this was a long dead thread being brought back. Threads should not be able to be brought back after ___ months. Come on!

But Mpls, how long was Lazerus dead before he came back to life? And they claim that they found honey in the pyramids that could still be eaten? :D