PDA

View Full Version : Who's bidding for a home playoff game?

mainejeff
November 16th, 2011, 02:21 PM
So what do y'all have for information on your teams' plans to bid for a home playoff game?

For Maine......

It's been reported that Maine HAS submitted bids to host 1st and/or 2nd round games.

There is also a rumor circulating that the Alfond Foundation donated $250K to the football program immediately following the URI game. Maine fans are speculating that this will give Maine the flexibility to submit a more competitive bid than they normally would have to compete with some of the top drawing programs.

Silenoz
November 16th, 2011, 02:23 PM
<-----

...for some large number

ccd494
November 16th, 2011, 02:24 PM
Local paper on why Maine SHOULDN'T have a home game: http://warnerscorner.bangordailynews.com/2011/11/16/football/umaine-football-better-off-on-the-road-for-ncaa-playoffs/

Silenoz
November 16th, 2011, 02:27 PM
Local paper on why Maine SHOULDN'T have a home game: http://warnerscorner.bangordailynews.com/2011/11/16/football/umaine-football-better-off-on-the-road-for-ncaa-playoffs/
There's some truth to that. Playoff crowds are pretty low, even after Thanksgiving weekend, you'd probably be seeing 3-4k

At the same time I don't think Nova cares that no-one saw their championship run 2 years ago

PantherRob82
November 16th, 2011, 02:31 PM
UNI bid

mainejeff
November 16th, 2011, 02:32 PM

One reporter's blog that wreaks of bitterness directed toward Maine football fans because they didn't show up in droves for November home games that were televised locally??? Gimme a break.

Maybe Warner and the rest of the BDN hacks should direct their investigative reporting toward Whitehead and Woodward and why they still are still employed by the university......???

jmufan999
November 16th, 2011, 02:41 PM
JMU bid.

TTUEagles
November 16th, 2011, 02:51 PM
TTU has bid for 1st &/or 2nd round...

Bearkat-Backer
November 16th, 2011, 03:08 PM
Sam Houston bid.

bjtheflamesfan
November 16th, 2011, 03:11 PM
Ive heard that LU has dropped the hammer for at least a first round game

superman7515
November 16th, 2011, 03:12 PM
Norfolk State did not bid. There was a rumor circulating they may have at the last minute, but the coach confirmed that their AD did not submit one.

bigblue78
November 16th, 2011, 03:15 PM
ODU has bids in for the first three rounds.

danefan
November 16th, 2011, 03:17 PM
Albany bid $0.

We'll probably get a home game.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 16th, 2011, 03:22 PM
Lehigh has/will make a competitive bid.

jmufan999
November 16th, 2011, 03:25 PM
Oh and JMU bid on all 4 rounds (before the NC game, obviously). I didn't know that you could pick and choose which rounds you wanted to bid on, otherwise I would have mentioned that earlier.

ccd494
November 16th, 2011, 03:32 PM
One reporter's blog that wreaks of bitterness directed toward Maine football fans because they didn't show up in droves for November home games that were televised locally??? Gimme a break.

Maybe Warner and the rest of the BDN hacks should direct their investigative reporting toward Whitehead and Woodward and why they still are still employed by the university......???

I agree with the principle that Maine should bid, if they deserve to play at home based on their play and their bid, they should play at home. Especially if we can get a southern team up here in November/December.

However, I don't buy into giving the fans a pass because the games were televised locally (it was beautiful out, go outside!), or because the team has bee down. It's not tough to get to a Maine football game- easy parking, cheap tickets, etc. You also have the benefit of day games where if you are from Brunswick or Houlton and go to a 7:00 hockey game, you are getting home around midnight. I really don't buy too much into the tv thing, honestly how many people are inside on a Saturday hanging on the words of Walt Abbott and George Hale? I'd put a ceiling of 500 on people who are making the decision "I still want to follow Maine football, but I don't want to get my *** off the couch to see them play." Everyone else is out hunting, or watching HS sports, or care more about Florida-Georgia, or doing family stuff. And those things aren't going away, we aren't going to wake up next year and see that hunting season is cancelled, or the state HS soccer/football games are on a Sunday, or anything like that.

It really seems like win or lose, Maine has the same 4000-6000 die hards that Maine will always have. I remember two BIG games: home against Montana and home against Northern Colorado. We went through the same issues in the early 2000's against James Madison when Maine needed a win to make the playoffs, had beaten Mississippi State, and about 5,000 showed up. There's a ceiling. We've found it.

forthandinches
November 16th, 2011, 04:22 PM
Anyone know what a typical bid is? Who gets the money and what do they do with it? Just wondering...

mainejeff
November 16th, 2011, 04:23 PM
I agree with the principle that Maine should bid, if they deserve to play at home based on their play and their bid, they should play at home. Especially if we can get a southern team up here in November/December.

However, I don't buy into giving the fans a pass because the games were televised locally (it was beautiful out, go outside!), or because the team has bee down. It's not tough to get to a Maine football game- easy parking, cheap tickets, etc. You also have the benefit of day games where if you are from Brunswick or Houlton and go to a 7:00 hockey game, you are getting home around midnight. I really don't buy too much into the tv thing, honestly how many people are inside on a Saturday hanging on the words of Walt Abbott and George Hale? I'd put a ceiling of 500 on people who are making the decision "I still want to follow Maine football, but I don't want to get my *** off the couch to see them play." Everyone else is out hunting, or watching HS sports, or care more about Florida-Georgia, or doing family stuff. And those things aren't going away, we aren't going to wake up next year and see that hunting season is cancelled, or the state HS soccer/football games are on a Sunday, or anything like that.

It really seems like win or lose, Maine has the same 4000-6000 die hards that Maine will always have. I remember two BIG games: home against Montana and home against Northern Colorado. We went through the same issues in the early 2000's against James Madison when Maine needed a win to make the playoffs, had beaten Mississippi State, and about 5,000 showed up. There's a ceiling. We've found it.

Maine does a lot of things to DISCOURAGE attendance across the board.........

1. Television - It is what it is. Some people stay home when games are televised. We can argue until the cows come home on how many, but it DOES affect attendance negatively. It's cheaper, it's convenient, it's comfortable, it's less time consuming. Obviously, the UMaine athletic administration feels that they get more benefit (exposure, $$$) from televising than not.

2. Lack of Promotions/Game Day atmosphere - Let's face it, very few people in the entire state are "with it" when it comes to marketing and promotions. You'd think that it would get better as time goes on and the old guard dies off. Unfortunately, that hasn't happened.........Maine will always be ranked #50 in this country when it comes to marketing savvy.

3. Status quo on coaches - Thankfully, that is the one thing that DOES appear to be changing under Abbott. UMaine has left too many BAD coaches in their positions for too many years......and then given them unwarranted extensions on top of that. That is BAD public relations and has shown UMaine fans just how little prior leadership really CARED about the athletic programs in Orono. It has turned A LOT of fans off!

NDB
November 16th, 2011, 04:24 PM

that's great news!

maybe next year they'll work on a competitive schedule! :p

danefan
November 16th, 2011, 04:34 PM
Anyone know what a typical bid is? Who gets the money and what do they do with it? Just wondering...

I can tell you the minimum bids (http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/champ_handbooks/football/2011/2011_1_football.pdf)

Prospective host institutions must submit the following minimum financial guarantees, which shall be 75 percent of the estimated net receipts as submitted on the proposed budget:
First round—$30,000
Second round—$30,000
Quarterfinal—$40,000
Semifinal—$50,000

The money goes to the NCAA which uses it to fund the travel expenses and other overhead costs associated with the playoffs. My understanding is that the NCAA "loses" money on the playoffs.

TTUEagles
November 16th, 2011, 04:44 PM
Maine does a lot of things to DISCOURAGE attendance across the board.........

1. Television - It is what it is. Some people stay home when games are televised. We can argue until the cows come home on how many, but it DOES affect attendance negatively. It's cheaper, it's convenient, it's comfortable, it's less time consuming. Obviously, the UMaine athletic administration feels that they get more benefit (exposure, $$$) from televising than not.

TTU does this - televising every home game LIVE on crappy public television. I've got some friends who still live there, go tailgate and go home to watch the game. Pisses me off to no end.

TTUEagles
November 16th, 2011, 04:46 PM
Forgive the novice playoff team-(GOD, I hope...) guy asking here on this unrelated thread...but, say TTU gets in by some magical stroke of luck and has to travel to, say, Youngstown State. Does the NCAA pick up the cost of flight, hotel, etc.???

danefan
November 16th, 2011, 04:50 PM
Forgive the novice playoff team-(GOD, I hope...) guy asking here on this unrelated thread...but, say TTU gets in by some magical stroke of luck and has to travel to, say, Youngstown State. Does the NCAA pick up the cost of flight, hotel, etc.???

Yes.

Transportation expenses and a $120 per diem will be provided for each member of the travel party. The size of the travel party is 130 persons for the first round, second-round, quarterfinal and semifinal contests, including a maximum of 60 student-athletes in uniform.

http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/champ_handbooks/football/2011/2011_1_football.pdf

Libertine
November 16th, 2011, 06:20 PM
I personally entered a bid of $201.04. If that price holds for the next 17 hours and 12 minutes, I will host a home playoff game but I will not be able to keep any concessions money. And then there's the shipping charges on top of that.

Frickin E-bay.

proasu89
November 16th, 2011, 06:34 PM
I personally entered a bid of $201.04. If that price holds for the next 17 hours and 12 minutes, I will host a home playoff game but I will not be able to keep any concessions money. And then there's the shipping charges on top of that.

Frickin E-bay.

xlolx You beat me to it. I won't bid against you but I was going to offer some great T-Giving left overs at my concession stand/front porch.

Bogus Megapardus
November 16th, 2011, 07:34 PM
I really hope that Maine makes a bid, and does what it can to promote the game. Black Bear fans certainly deserve a home game.

ngineer
November 17th, 2011, 12:09 AM

Yes, confirmed by Coen today. Hopefully, that game is December 3!

frozennorth
November 17th, 2011, 01:55 AM
I wonder if ndsu did just in case...

Squealofthepig
November 17th, 2011, 02:14 AM
I really hope that Maine makes a bid, and does what it can to promote the game. Black Bear fans certainly deserve a home game.

Absolutely agree. The way to build home-town buzz and participation is not to send the Bears to UCA or Montana (operating on the assumption that any hosting team will be farther than the minimum amount to fly the entire team, so they can be shipped anywhere, and that they won't have to open against a seed). I hope Maine bids and at least gives their local fans an easy commute to a playoff game.

Mountaineer#96
November 17th, 2011, 07:43 AM
I heard through a few snitches...I mean sources that ASU might be entering a bid for a home game......I don't know if it is true I just heard it ;)

jmufan999
November 17th, 2011, 08:37 AM

You made a lot of really good points, so don't take this as me being argumentative for no reason. But this one point is highly overrated. Wofford beat Montana on the road in 12 degree temps (at kickoff). As another point, I think homefield advantage is not as important in the FCS playoffs as people think. I looked it up a few years ago and there are tons of road teams that win, in general. Everyone would prefer to play at home for lots of reasons, but winning on the road is very possible.

yorkcountyUNHfan
November 17th, 2011, 08:55 AM
You made a lot of really good points, so don't take this as me being argumentative for no reason. But this one point is highly overrated. Wofford beat Montana on the road in 12 degree temps (at kickoff). As another point, I think homefield advantage is not as important in the FCS playoffs as people think. I looked it up a few years ago and there are tons of road teams that win, in general. Everyone would prefer to play at home for lots of reasons, but winning on the road is very possible.

I agree that teams can go on the road and win, but to make a run deep into the playoffs on the road week after week is a tall task.

appfan2008
November 17th, 2011, 09:05 AM
I heard through a few snitches...I mean sources that ASU might be entering a bid for a home game......I don't know if it is true I just heard it ;)

dont go to far out on a limb on that one!

jmufan999
November 17th, 2011, 09:29 AM
I agree that teams can go on the road and win, but to make a run deep into the playoffs on the road week after week is a tall task.

Agreed. Here's another way of looking at it: a team that gets a bye in the first (play-in) round is probably more likely to win the NC than a team that plays in the first round. For the simple reason that they wouldn't be exposed to the possibility of an additional loss.

So if a team has a bye and plays its first round game at home, it will have to play 2 road games, max. That's not that bad. Even if they play on the road in the round of 16, they still have a bye the week before that. I would say that it's the weekly travel that could wear down a team, not the crowd noise (except for a few FCS stadiums) or climate. What I'm getting at is that an FBS playoff would likely have a greater homefield advantage (mainly because of crowd noise), if they ever go to a playoff.

One more thing: an FBS playoff would almost certainly not have the stupid regionalization rule. Why? Because LSU/Bama/USC/etc. fans would absolutely go ballistic and start riots. The NCAA can get away with it on our level because in comparison, there is little national/media interest. We have no clout. The regionalization rule creates matchups that are not always "fair" (or at least, much "less fair" than seeding 1-20).

yorkcountyUNHfan
November 17th, 2011, 09:32 AM
Agreed. Here's another way of looking at it: a team that gets a bye in the first (play-in) round is probably more likely to win the NC than a team that plays in the first round. For the simple reason that they wouldn't be exposed to the possibility of an additional loss.

So if a team has a bye and plays its first round game at home, it will have to play 2 road games, max. That's not that bad. Even if they play on the road in the round of 16, they still have a bye the week before that. I would say that it's the weekly travel that could wear down a team, not the crowd noise (except for a few FCS stadiums) or climate. What I'm getting at is that an FBS playoff would likely have a greater homefield advantage (mainly because of crowd noise), if they ever go to a playoff.

Agree...travel also eats into prep time for both players and coaches

UCABEARS75
November 17th, 2011, 09:55 AM
UCA bid.

jmufan999
November 17th, 2011, 09:59 AM
Agree...travel also eats into prep time for both players and coaches

One other thing that could be interesting is how teams prepare for schemes they don't see often: triple option on offense and 3 man fronts on defense.

Dgreenwell3
November 17th, 2011, 12:27 PM
Indiana state plans on bidding.

jmu_duke07
November 17th, 2011, 12:32 PM
Indiana state plans on bidding.

It's too late to "plan" on bidding... Bids were already due.

Dgreenwell3
November 17th, 2011, 12:49 PM
It's too late to "plan" on bidding... Bids were already due.

My bad. I just knew they were planning on doing it sometime ago, Just posted it

SpeedkingATL
November 17th, 2011, 01:12 PM
I believe UT-Chattanooga won a bid for a first round game even though they will not be participating in the playoffs. I guess they missed getting to watch other teams play meaningful playoff games in Finley Stadium.

seantaylor
November 18th, 2011, 12:40 AM
Sammy Baker skates by after putting the worst schedule in GSU history together. Now, the actual bidding is out of his hands as we will get at least a 3 seed.

MTfan4life
November 18th, 2011, 01:38 AM
you mean like playing an unranked team at home in the second to the last game of the season and LOSING to that team, like NDSU just did?

that kind of schedule?

http://ugc-01.cafemomstatic.com/gen/constrain/500/500/80/2011/02/01/14/f4/rh/pol19f25cg1bic7.jpg?imageId=20754108

Engineer86
November 18th, 2011, 07:11 AM
and when you make a comment such as this, would it also apply to this "out of the blue" attack on Lehigh's schedule by the Bisonette?

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?100576-Who-s-bidding-for-a-home-playoff-game&p=1724888&viewfull=1#post1724888

or should we go on to discuss the academics of the quasi-community college, NDSU, with the 50% drop-out rate?

Ouch, this is a football forum right? Let just hope Sterrett makes a big announcement at his football alumni briefing!